Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I don't really think Starship Troopers is particularly effective at it's goal of being anti-facist satire. I know the whole point is that the Bugs are how we dehumanize people, but it can't get over the fact their society has achieved complete racial and gender equality. A Black Woman becomes the Space Fuhrer to outstanding applause, which is something that would cause revolution in our "enlightened" Liberal-Democracy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
There's a lot more to it than that.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

galagazombie posted:

it can't get over the fact their society has achieved complete racial and gender equality.A Black Woman becomes the Space Fuhrer to outstanding applause, which is something that would cause revolution in our "enlightened" Liberal-Democracy.

that's actually part of the point

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

galagazombie posted:

I don't really think Starship Troopers is particularly effective at it's goal of being anti-facist satire. I know the whole point is that the Bugs are how we dehumanize people, but it can't get over the fact their society has achieved complete racial and gender equality. A Black Woman becomes the Space Fuhrer to outstanding applause, which is something that would cause revolution in our "enlightened" Liberal-Democracy.

Adolf, who wasn't even a german,

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

StashAugustine posted:

The movie is pretty clear that the main character is upper class and it seems pretty capitalistic but in a fascist way where its all war but class war

Yeah, his family are some sort of upper class who have gained their wealth outside of federal service.

When Johnny finishes school with "ABSOLUTE DULLARD, INSERT DIRECTLY INTO MEATGRINDER" academic scores, his father says "That's it, you're going to Harvard!" lmao

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Skellybones posted:

Yeah, his family are some sort of upper class who have gained their wealth outside of federal service.

When Johnny finishes school with "ABSOLUTE DULLARD, INSERT DIRECTLY INTO MEATGRINDER" academic scores, his father says "That's it, you're going to Harvard!" lmao

Also during the shower scene someone says they joined up because they had the scores but not the money for Harvard.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the weird thing is that the movie satirizes the glorification of a military dictatorship with effectively full conscription but the book is basically about troop worship taken to 100. i dont remember if the SERVICE GUARANTEES CITIZENSHIP thing is from the book but i want to say in true liberal style it wasnt actually a law so much that nobody would take you seriously if you didnt have a long career in the military

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Larry Parrish posted:

the weird thing is that the movie satirizes the glorification of a military dictatorship with effectively full conscription but the book is basically about troop worship taken to 100. i dont remember if the SERVICE GUARANTEES CITIZENSHIP thing is from the book but i want to say in true liberal style it wasnt actually a law so much that nobody would take you seriously if you didnt have a long career in the military

It was definitely a thing though theres a passimg mention that forms of civil service that arent strictly military count

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Heinlein fellating are troops gleefully and forever.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

galagazombie posted:

is this “hire more women guards” in post form?

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Vomik posted:

is this “hire more women guards” in post form?

God no. I meant that Fascism has racism and sexism as its central tenets, so it's kinda wonky to have the fascist society you're movie is satirizing to have no racism and no sexism.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

galagazombie posted:

God no. I meant that Fascism has racism and sexism as its central tenets, so it's kinda wonky to have the fascist society you're movie is satirizing to have no racism and no sexism.

The bugs are the other they're all racist against

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There are plenty of clues that the world has seen previous purges and genocides prior to the moment of the film. The Rico family of Buenos Aires is Anglo and speaks American English, for example. It’s simply a world where fascism has become cemented globally.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

StashAugustine posted:

The bugs are the other they're all racist against

Oh I know that and that the whole point is dehumanizing others until they're screaming bug monsters. It's just that even when you consciously know that's the point, you're brain still sees all of humanity living without racism.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

There are plenty of clues that the world has seen previous purges and genocides prior to the moment of the film. The Rico family of Buenos Aires is Anglo and speaks American English, for example. It’s simply a world where fascism has become cemented globally.

I'm pretty sure that's just standard real-world Hollywood racism affecting casting. No one in 1997 hollywood would have greenlit a Blockbuster staring a Latino

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

galagazombie posted:

I'm pretty sure that's just standard real-world Hollywood racism affecting casting. No one in 1997 hollywood would have greenlit a Blockbuster staring a Latino
Antonio Banderas was in some pretty big movies in 96, 98, and 99, though he's Spanish.

Andy Garcia in Desparate Measures (1998)? There really aren't many examples, to be fair.

Rico being played by John Leguizamo would have been hilarious, though.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

should’ve been Erik Estrada.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

On one hand Vervohoven cast van Diem since he looked like a Nazi propagamda poster, on the other the studio was suggesting Matt Damon so I don't think they'd have cast a Latin American (never mind a Filipino)

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
We didn't get a version of Starship Troopers starring John Leguizamo which is just proof that this is hellworld.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
starring Rico brought to life on the silver screen by renowned actor Joey Pants

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Shima Honnou posted:

We didn't get a version of Starship Troopers starring John Leguizamo which is just proof that this is hellworld.
Well in1997 he was The Pest as well as Clown/Violator in Spawn plus two other credits so he was pretty busy

Not counting TV and shorts Leguizamo was in more than two movies per year 1990-99

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

*watching CNN footage of the twin towers burning*

goddamn bugs whacked us johnny

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
We must meet this threat with our valor, our blood, indeed with our very lives to ensure that human civilization, not insect, dominates this galaxy now and always!

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

FFT posted:

Antonio Banderas was in some pretty big movies in 96, 98, and 99, though he's Spanish.

Andy Garcia in Desparate Measures (1998)? There really aren't many examples, to be fair.

Rico being played by John Leguizamo would have been hilarious, though.

Andy Garcia's whole career is playing Italians.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

galagazombie posted:

They picked Buenos Aires as his home on purpose for that very effect though. Like if they just wanted White Dude #6 it could've been just LA.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

do people really not know that argentina already has a majority population of western europeans? and in fact its a large majority of the wealthy argentinians?

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

*extremely woke goon deplanes in south america* wow look at all this white-washing by the Delta airlines corporation, unbelievable. where are they hiding all the people who look like speedy gonzalez?

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Vomik posted:

do people really not know that argentina already has a majority population of western europeans? and in fact its a large majority of the wealthy argentinians?

and some of them are even descended from nazi war criminals!

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

motherfuckers built a bavarian village and everything

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/south-america/argentina/articles/la-cumbrecita-argentina-secret-german-village/

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

I read this article a long time ago and I think it's a great discussion of SS Troopers

https://www.overthinkingit.com/2009/11/26/starship-troopers-fascism/

quote:

What baffled many critics when Starship Troopers was first released, I suspect, was the seamless melding of fascist satire with action-movie heroism. “There’s nothing wrong with good satire — but it’s self-defeatingly stupid to inject it into any story that expects us to care what happens to the characters,” Scott Rosenberg of Salon.com said at the time. But it wouldn’t be fascist satire unless we were supposed to cheer for the characters – regardless of what they did. In a good bit of fascist propaganda, like Triumph of the Will or Starship Troopers, what makes the heroes heroic is the color of their uniform and their ability to channel rage in the service of the Nation. That’s it.

So the critics were right and they still got it wrong. Starship Troopers is fascist propaganda – for a fascism that does not yet exist. The problem isn’t that Verhoeven got his fascist propaganda all over your action movie. The problem is that your action movie springs directly from fascist propaganda.

Delthalaz has issued a correction as of 18:55 on Sep 1, 2019

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Vomik posted:

Isn't it mostly Spaniard and Italians though? Not exactly places where lots of people look like that.
Though I think their Italians are more northern Italy, meh.

Denizen_Cons
Oct 15, 2016
No one brought up the roughnecks cartoon produced by mainframe, the people who brought us beast wars and reboot which was pretty true to the books and the theme song was cut with bits of the Kennedy speech about what you can do for the country...etc. etc.

Denizen_Cons
Oct 15, 2016
They had an alien friend called a skinny, who helped them and the baddies were mostly not the bugs. When I read the book years later, I realized the friendship was probably closer to the role we have right now for Iraqi translators and collaborators. I think there's even a scene in the book where the hero uses a grenade to blow up a skinny church...something like that.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Denizen_Cons posted:

They had an alien friend called a skinny, who helped them and the baddies were mostly not the bugs. When I read the book years later, I realized the friendship was probably closer to the role we have right now for Iraqi translators and collaborators. I think there's even a scene in the book where the hero uses a grenade to blow up a skinny church...something like that.

He says in that scene something like "probably not a church, because small arms rounds started hitting my armor" and I laugh at that because rural conservangelicals around here pretty much consider a pistol to be a liturgical tool - even the preachers are strapped.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Vomik posted:

*extremely woke goon deplanes in south america* wow look at all this white-washing by the Delta airlines corporation, unbelievable. where are they hiding all the people who look like speedy gonzalez?

ah yes all those argentines who talk like they're on the set of young and the restless

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
https://twitter.com/studentactivism/status/1170895312724078592

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

https://twitter.com/nandorvila/status/1202315056299380737

it was already really hard to get and stay on food stamps when obama was president I can't even begin to imagine what a nightmare it must be now that trump has put his sweaty little hands all over the program.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
poor folks are gonna be food stumped

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

Homeless Friend posted:

poor folks are gonna be food stumped

:holymoley:

seems like a real good plan to have hundreds of thousands of starving citizens right as the aristocracy is showing off all their sweet new yachts on instagram. nothing can go wrong here.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

SNAP benefits are already so loving woeful as it is. More bullshit on top of that makes me want to tear my hair out. loving christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Wakko posted:

:holymoley:

seems like a real good plan to have hundreds of thousands of starving citizens right as the aristocracy is showing off all their sweet new yachts on instagram. nothing can go wrong here.

they’ve already convinced people that getting on welfare even when they qualify is a sign of personal failure, nothing will happen to them