Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Don't know if y'all have talked about "Remain in Mexico," but what is essentially happening is asylum seekers are barred entry, told to stay in Mexican port towns awaiting a hearing, so they sit around in cartel land waiting to:

a) Be kidnapped and/or murdered by the cartels
b) Be forced to use the cartels for trafficking across the border
c) Migrate "illegally" by themselves (sometimes a safer option, often times a fatal option)
d) Be transported to Southern Mexico where they will wait to make the trek back up again
e) Somehow be fine for several months even though they're poor and powerless, and then by the grace of god somehow get asylum status, wherein they get to live in a country that hates them

This is a lose-lose for everyone except the American public. Now the poor brown people can die and suffer away from us, instead of rot in our prisons. :thumbsup:

Don't worry though, this policy may end when Trump's buddies have built enough prisons to house them. Then he'll likely let them back in and increase DHS detention quotas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

not a death camp

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Frijolero posted:

Don't know if y'all have talked about "Remain in Mexico," but what is essentially happening is asylum seekers are barred entry, told to stay in Mexican port towns awaiting a hearing, so they sit around in cartel land waiting to:

a) Be kidnapped and/or murdered by the cartels
b) Be forced to use the cartels for trafficking across the border
c) Migrate "illegally" by themselves (sometimes a safer option, often times a fatal option)
d) Be transported to Southern Mexico where they will wait to make the trek back up again
e) Somehow be fine for several months even though they're poor and powerless, and then by the grace of god somehow get asylum status, wherein they get to live in a country that hates them

This is a lose-lose for everyone except the American public. Now the poor brown people can die and suffer away from us, instead of rot in our prisons. :thumbsup:

Don't worry though, this policy may end when Trump's buddies have built enough prisons to house them. Then he'll likely let them back in and increase DHS detention quotas.

When people are fleeing to the United States for fear of their lives to only deterrent is to threaten their lives.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I can't wait for the "technically you need x bodies per y cubic feet of dirt for it to count as a mass grave" pieces that the media will uncritically put up in order to seem unbiased and not lose access.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Anne Frank died of typhus.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Pope Guilty posted:

Typhoid annie

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Pope Guilty posted:

I wonder what percentage of holocaust victims died from disease vs execution.

Scary!
Oct 22, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://mobile.twitter.com/chicodsa/status/1165278872662769664

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
gently caress.

The stupid "service members abroad will not have their children be automatic citizens" is going to work exactly as intended.

It's going to create a whole new class of resentment directed at immigrants. "I served my country and my children weren't citizens but just because they were born here those illegals are citizens?"

It's gonna work perfectly

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

ikanreed posted:

gently caress.

The stupid "service members abroad will not have their children be automatic citizens" is going to work exactly as intended.

It's going to create a whole new class of resentment directed at immigrants. "I served my country and my children weren't citizens but just because they were born here those illegals are citizens?"

good poo poo when the most cynical take is also the likeliest one to come true.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ikanreed posted:

gently caress.

just when the military couldn't get worse

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Larry Parrish posted:

just when the military couldn't get worse

Yeah, what just clicked for me is the cruelty to chuds by Republicans is all about making them resent any government program that isn't even more cruel to the other.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
the hilarious neo-fascist authoritarian regime of Starship Troopers treated its soldiers and citizens better than we do, good god

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Bust Rodd posted:

the hilarious neo-fascist authoritarian regime of Starship Troopers treated its soldiers and citizens better than we do, good god

They believed in some form of collective good & social solidarity

We dont

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Bust Rodd posted:

never seen or read, did they manage to move past capitalism because if so ofc they did

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

The movie is pretty clear that the main character is upper class and it seems pretty capitalistic but in a fascist way where its all war but class war

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
that’s the point yeah, like it’s made pretty clear that the bugs where set up so they would have someone to fight

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

The bugs were the Japanese, rio was Pearl Harbor, the drops were the island hopping campaign, the troopers were the marines of the pacific war for whom Heinlein had a huge boner.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

StashAugustine posted:

The movie is pretty clear that the main character is upper class and it seems pretty capitalistic but in a fascist way where its all war but class war

There's more aliens than bugs in the book and Earth fights an expansionist war against all of them.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

The difference is that in the book Earth was the good guys

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Kitfox88 posted:

never seen or read, did they manage to move past capitalism because if so ofc they did

Drop whatever you're doing and watch the movie right now

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
If you haven't seen Starship Troopers you really owe it to yourself. Keep in mind that when this was made it was such a tongue-in-cheek satire of fascism that many critics treated it as a straight sci-fi action flick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_7FaWnlhS4

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
like the people who made the movie were like “we really don’t wanna make a pro-fascist propaganda film” so they took the bones of the book and turned it on it’s side. I’d recommend the movie but I would never read the book

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Prester Jane posted:

If you haven't seen Starship Troopers you really owe it to yourself. Keep in mind that when this was made it was such a tongue-in-cheek satire of fascism that many critics treated it as a straight sci-fi action flick.

The Daily Show had a review by Beth Littleford where she criticized it for being fascistic.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the book is pretty fascist but I havent read it since i was a teenager. i dont really remember much besides the complete disdain Henlein had for commissioned officers who weren't previously enlisted, which is pretty rare for fascist sci fi authors. his take is that you can't be a leader without a deep understanding of how your subordinates live and think, kind of a weirdly egalitarian take to have in what is otherwise a book about how the strongest deserve the most resources

1982 Subaru Brat
Feb 2, 2007

by Athanatos
That's one of the things people say to defend authoritarianism in good faith, bless their little hearts.

In the real world psychopaths and hypocrites have an insurmountable advantage in fascist power structures, and the first thing they do is kick away whatever ladder justified their ascension.

If Heinlein got what he wanted, his final words might have been "But the Maximum Leader really is a fatbody who never served!" and he'd be 100% right and 100% tortured to death.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
verhoeven likes to poo poo all over the book in interviews lol. to prepare for directing the movie adaptation he read like two chapters and threw it away

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

paul_soccer10 posted:

verhoeven likes to poo poo all over the book in interviews lol. to prepare for directing the movie adaptation he read like two chapters and threw it away

awesome

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
verhoeven is one of the greatest directors ever

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

yeah. verhoven and carpenter should collab on the ultimate practical effects 80s blockbuster so i can watch it

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Real hurthling! posted:

yeah. verhoven and carpenter should collab on the ultimate practical effects 80s blockbuster so i can watch it

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
no ones talking about the 6 episode anime adaption of starship troopers from 1988 smdh

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Prester Jane posted:

get it on dvd do you can listen to the directors commentary.

Pepperoneedy
Apr 27, 2007

Rockin' it

ikanreed posted:

gently caress.

Honestly I thought it was just another petty dig at McCain (who's fuckin dead lmao) because he was born in the Panama Canal Zone

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the Panama canal zone was straight up us territory I thought, whereas most military bases are just leased

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Pepperoneedy posted:

Honestly I thought it was just another petty dig at McCain (who's fuckin dead lmao) because he was born in the Panama Canal Zone

it doesn’t make any sense. who does it apply to? also if the child is born on the base they’re born on US soil anyway. Donny half baked

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
But if they're the child of a citizen, doesn't that make them automatically a citizen no matter where they're born?

Isn't it in the constitution?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

But if they're the child of a citizen, doesn't that make them automatically a citizen no matter where they're born?

Isn't it in the constitution?

Constitution being overturned by executive fiat isn't new.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Larry Parrish posted:

the Panama canal zone was straight up us territory I thought, whereas most military bases are just leased

That changed in, IIRC 1999. We gave the canal back, after 100 years, as was the agreement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepperoneedy
Apr 27, 2007

Rockin' it

Larry Parrish posted:

It was but it doesn't matter. You aren't thinking with Treamp brain and aren't remembering people have brought up the issue before back in '08

https://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/11/us/politics/11mccain.html

I'm dead serious. It's because of McCain.