Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Just had a game with a 4-10 then 11-15 losing streak end up with me winning. Two level 2 Kunkka boats and one level 2 Ravage were key, and Luna was my only level 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
Going 6 mages is definitely a trap right now, especially now that the bonus is mostly frontloaded to the 3 bonus. 3 Mages in a magic heavy lineup with like a SF and QOP is strong.

I actually. won a game yesterday where I had the 4 elemental bonus with the 3 mages (puck/lich) and then 3 assassins (QOP/TA). TA with refraction, evasion, and stone armor is hilarious.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
when should i be buying xp

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Thom and the Heads posted:

when should i be buying xp

Early on, when the 4 points will give you a full level. If you alt-hover over the xp it will tell you how many points you need.

Midgame, whenever it doesn't take too much out of your interest savings and you feel like you need it to keep your winstreak. Also if you have too many units for your storage and you need an extra space.

Late game, when you want to make your final push to win.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Assassins are my trap. While not necessarily terrible they're pretty rng based and that can be such a bummer.

Char
Jan 5, 2013
I feel there's too little pieces. I mean, I've got preferences for starting strats, but it feels like it's too easy to cripple your early game, and lack of item drops feels more punishing than it probably is. All in all it feels a little bit too RNGy, but there's some potential here.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/NiPGaming/status/1091316008869085184

It's actually kind of nuts how popular this is

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

the problem with Dota Auto Chess is that valve has no way to monetize it. people should be buying artifact boosters instead

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I had someone field two tinies and razer to specifically toss away units near the mages

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

is this Aeon of Strife returning to its roots inside of Defense of the Ancients

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
It's closer to Squadron TD from the sc2 arcade.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
Hopefully they can work with Valve and get ranked MM going because winning every game is starting to get boring.

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I’ve been enjoying the mode, but my only real complaint is the randomness of the item drops. I’d like to see a more standardized drop rate, where everyone is guaranteed the same number of items if everyone kills the neutral waves. It just doesn’t feel good to not get any item drops for those waves, while the guy next door just got enough items to arm a militia off of the exact same wave.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Firebatgyro posted:

Hopefully they can work with Valve and get ranked MM going because winning every game is starting to get boring.

You could try to get into the Hearthstone streamer games.

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS

NeuroticLich posted:

I’ve been enjoying the mode, but my only real complaint is the randomness of the item drops. I’d like to see a more standardized drop rate, where everyone is guaranteed the same number of items if everyone kills the neutral waves. It just doesn’t feel good to not get any item drops for those waves, while the guy next door just got enough items to arm a militia off of the exact same wave.

Yeah this game is definitely going to get to the point (I've witnessed it a couple of times) where if you don't get a certain mix of drops or units it's best if you just quit and find a new game, which then leads to one person fielding a single Axe which ruins your losing streak if you're playing from behind.

It's a cool game mode but definitely needs some fixes.

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/changelog/1613886175

quote:

Update: 2 Feb @ 2:20pm

-Candy Store: You can preview the effect before confirmation.
-Candy Store: Collection Couriers Added.
-Candy Store: You can change your courier immediately after click the courier in list.
-Battle infos and chat infos now displays in left msgs instead of bullet chats.
-Medusa and Enchantress re-decorated.
-PVE enemies rebalanced.
-(3)(6)Assassins' combo(Critical Strike) adjusted from 4/4 to 3.5/4.5
-(3)(6)(9)Warriors' combo(Armor bonus) adjusted from 6/8/10 to 7/8/9
-Static Storm of Disruptor's duration decreased by 1s
-TA's attack speed decreased by 0.2
-WD's attack speed increased by 0.2
-Tiny's attack damage increased by 20
-Timbersaw's armor decreased from 10/10/10 to 6/8/10
-Scream of QOP's damage decreased by 50
-Ghost Ship of Kunkka's damage decreased by 50 and stun time adjusted from 1.4/1.4/1.4 to 1.4/1.7/2
-Fix Crown Bug
-Fix DragonKnight Bug
-Fix Lina and Doom Bug
-Fix the button Bug on draw panel (cannot unlock the board automatically)
-Fix Morphling Bug
-Fix PA Bug
-Try to prevent varies kinds of hackers from attacking, and I personally express strongly condemnation about this

Kunkka nerfed strongly condemned. Tiny seems a little less poo poo in the early game, although his ult can screw you over.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

fins posted:

Kunkka nerfed strongly condemned. Tiny seems a little less poo poo in the early game, although his ult can screw you over.

I don't really think that's a nerf. I don't like Tiny for exactly that reason he can lose you otherwise won matches.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Duck and Cover posted:

You could try to get into the Hearthstone streamer games.

I should have known to trust a thread title

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Reality Winter posted:

I should have known to trust a thread title

Dog, Amaz, Hafu, Reynad, Asmodai, Savjz, Tides of Time, Trump, Disguised Toast, Firebat.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Feb 4, 2019

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Firebatgyro posted:

theres a reddit inhouse league for bishop and rook players

https://discord.gg/VvUPPcf

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Kild posted:

theres a reddit inhouse league for bishop and rook players

https://discord.gg/VvUPPcf

Yeah I joined yesterday, Bishop games fire off all the time which is nice.

Definitely need to change up some play patterns though since you can't get by on just bullying your way through every game like in pubs.

Chopstix
Nov 20, 2002

fins posted:

Tiny throwing a low HP hero away to safety is kind of a stupid garbage upt ImO

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
Tiny would be cool if he started with full mana like the dragon combo and you could try and place him to throw their disrupter or tide to the corner right at the start.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Have him toss away friendly dudes. I don't think there has been a time when he has tossed an enemy and it has been a good thing for my side, so just have him do the opposite.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

I noticed this yesterday, Shadowfiend has Necromastery with.... 12 stacks? Is there any other hero that has a passive that's not detailed (or did I miss where it was detailed?)

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
I realised with units like Venomancer and Lycan, the spawned things also count when it comes to scoring. Highest I've had so far is 13-0 at level 7. OP?

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

u lightweights couldn't even feed my shadow ;*
I've been trying to get out of Knight-9 obsessively for the past few days. Keep taking top 3, never rank up. I even won a game at K9, still didn't get B1 b/c i keep getting paired with pawns, unknowns and low knights.

fins posted:

I realised with units like Venomancer and Lycan, the spawned things also count when it comes to scoring. Highest I've had so far is 13-0 at level 7. OP?

it's a good punish against greedy builds that aren't running a lot of AOE, as it just devours their health and forces them to hit the gas and sacrifice an even stronger lategame

unpleasantly turgid fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Feb 5, 2019

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
I'm very down on summoners at the moment (besides LD) because the meta is so AOE heavy. Razor and SF are just so good at 3* that everyone sticks at least one of them in no matter what the rest of the team is.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Got ranked to k6 and then won my first game :)

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Auto Chess seems to be sticking around, at least until Blizzard shits out an expansion for Hearthstone. I like how the developers of this are willing to both nerf and buff things, and do it more often than never.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Feb 8, 2019

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
This game owns. Got up to bishop-7 playing pubs only, for some reason I'm dragging my feet on doing the inhouse thing. Game is a lot of fun even though there's clearly improvements to be made IMO.

I feel that AoE in the lategame is a bit hosed. Once you have the AoE goodstuff lineup (Tide, Kunkka, Disruptor, Medusa, other $5 units etc. ideally with 3x mage) it feels very difficult to counter with anything, even well spread tanky units with Naga bonus just die at a certain point. Early and mid-game are fascinating though, and the balance is good - IMO the only bad tribe are assassins, and even that might be my personal bias.

King Pawn fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Feb 13, 2019

schmitty9800
Feb 10, 2003

Game's really fun. If the devs stay as responsive as they have been, and if Valve gives them further support, I think it might have some staying power.

I'm B3 which isn't a massively high rank but I wanted to write up some thoughts on all the synergies (this is half a guide, half "hey do you guys agree with all this?"). If you don't know what they are here's a list with costs too and here's a matrix with all the different units in there.

DISCLAIMERS
>Don't ever force a synergy or aim for a specific one! Aim to get powerful units. Unsynergized 2* units will almost always beat synergized 1* units. Suppose you have a Axe/Slardar 1* after round 2, and before round 3 your board is Tusk/Clock/Clock/Ogre/Ogre. If you have the money, the play is to add the 2 Clock AND the 2 Ogre, because both will give you a chance at a 2* next turn. Adding the Tusk for the Warrior synergy might help you win the next round, but you don't have as much change to upgrade units.

>Lategame, big AOE is king. Many of these synergies are worth discarding for an Enigma, Disruptor, Medusa, or Tide (with Lich, Techies, Kunkka, and Alche close behind).

CLASS
Assassin: A strong option and really powers up your TA, but many other assassins do primarily magic damage so the bonus can be wasted. You'll need something else to tank and it's very weak against neutral rounds.

Demon Hunter: It can be nice to negate SF's or QOP's extra early damage, but it's not a gamechanger. AM himself is really situational to use; he falls off midgame but can actually be useful late if you position him well and burn off all of Tide's mana. Running both AM and TB for a full demon strategy was bugged and broken when TB first was introduced, but it's nearly useless at this point as you need both AM and TB to run it; TB requires a lot of investment and was heavily nerfed.

Druid: A decent midgame option if you get early 2* and 3* units with Beast bonus, but it falls off massively. Ench 3* and Furion 3* are worse than most 2* units. LD 3* is the only one viable lategame.

Hunter: Not too bad to have, but Drow and Sniper are relatively weak. WR is great damage but getting a good powershot is often times completely random. Beastmaster is great overall though doing great damage early and tanking well, lategame you can run him/Medusa/Tide to power up your 'Dusa's damage. 6 Hunters is a very wonky strat and would require you to have a good lead.

Knight: In theory Knight shields should counter mass AOE damage, but they simply don't. 4 Knights are a good option for the midgame, but you'll need some good damage dealers and AOE to support that frontline.

Mage: I really can't get Mage to work well; to me Lina ( and Puck (when not part of a DK strat...even then ) are kind of poor and Ogre falls off. CM is kind of bugged, there's definitely times when her aura doesn't work.

Mech: Really amazing early game, good midgame, nearly useless lategame. A Tinker 3* is weaker than a lot of 2* units and big AOE just scythes through the regen. That said, Clock 2* and Timber 2* are freaking gods midgame and either of them at 3* is good even without the synergy.

Shaman: Not something you shoot for but it's nice to add the Disruptor into your Troll strategy.

Warlock: Not something that's going to specifically carry you but it can be good to add in lifesteal if you're running an SF as your Demon. High DPS units like Troll Warlord/SF/DK will just lifesteal back whatever HP they lose in the initial round of AOE spells.

Warrior: 3 warriors can be strong really early, and 6 warriors with some DPS in the back can carry your midgame; you might have to replace them though so you can do enough AOE damage. 9 warriors is a gimmick to be employed when stomping only.

SPECIES
Beast: A good early bonus if you get a 2* Ench paired with a Tusk. Nice to have lategame if you have an LD, but not something that's worth building to.

Demon: It's almost always worth having at least one Demon in your lineup though, all of them are great throughout except CK who can fall off late.

Dragon: The instant dragon form of the DK makes Dragon one of the most powerful race synergies. Unfortunately Puck and Viper as units are kind of blah, and Puck can actually be a lategame liability, because he'll orb instantly, do tickle damage, and give Tide/Enigma/Dusa enough mana for an early ult.

Dwarf/Ogre: These solo synergies are nothing to write home about, except for making 2* Ogre a decent early tank.

Element: A weirdly decent synergy but it's limited because Tiny sucks and Morph is just OK (Razor is great though and Enigma is a lategame beast). I've never made it work myself but I've seen some streamers stomp with it. It can stop Troll strategies flat but will lose to AOEs.

Elf: Evasion is pretty good midgame, but it's limited because there aren't many Elves who scale (maybe only Luna really does) and just like Element, magic AOE is king lategame.

Goblin: Running 3 of BH/Tinker/Timber/Clock is a very viable early game strat, if your timber gets the buff then you're going to beat people with more upgrades than you. Lategame 3 Goblins is useless and 6 Goblins is very gimmicky (Alche and Techies don't have a high enough drop rate to rely on geting enough of them).

Human: It's nice to have and it'll win a couple rounds for you. Omni is worth adding to lot of warrior comps for extra damage/tankiness. That said, not something you shoot for. Running Kunkka/Lycan and CM/Lina would require you to have a 3rd warrior and 3rd mage to be good, and then your lineup is limited. KOTL spends a lot of time channeling his ability and not autoattcking. Omni is decent to add in as well

Naga: Definitely nice to have. Tide/Dusa is a great lategame combo, and if you're running assassins, including Slardar as a tank with your Slark is cool. However, Slardar himself is not great so it's not something to definitely shoot for early.

Orc: Axe, Jugg, and Beast are all good cheap units, and Disruptor is incredibly powerful. Just like AM does with mana burn, Axe can prevent Tide's ult going off by getting a call off. Raw HP means you're good against both magic and physical, and I expect this synergy or some of its units to get nerfed.

Troll: 4 Trolls plus something like Luna or SF will melt everybody in the midgame and still be strong lategame. But on their own, Trolls are relatively weak units, and you might find yourself having to choose between frontline units and AOE to support your trolls. Also, if the Troll Warlord never drops, you're hosed. I've won a lot of regular pubs with Trolls, but haven't gotten them to work in Bishop lobbies as people save their gold better and can kill me with AOE. A lot of people will simply run Troll Warlord by himself as part of a warrior strategy, partly for his good damage, partly to keep trolls out of the pool.

Undead: If you're an old school Warcraft 3 FT player, you know that Undead almost isn't a race until you get orb of corruption. And Undead is really useful this game too. It's worth just running casual Abba/Drow through the midgame then replacing one or both with Necro or Lich. Hard to fit 4 UD in a lineup though.

schmitty9800 fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Feb 13, 2019

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010

schmitty9800 posted:

Game's really fun. If the devs stay as responsive as they have been, and if Valve gives them further support, I think it might have some staying power.

I'm B3 which isn't a massively high rank but I wanted to write up some thoughts on all the synergies (this is half a guide, half "hey do you guys agree with all this?"). If you don't know what they are here's a list with costs too and here's a matrix with all the different units in there.

DISCLAIMERS
>Don't ever force a synergy or aim for a specific one! Aim to get powerful units. Unsynergized 2* units will almost always beat synergized 1* units. Suppose you have a Axe/Slardar 1* after round 2, and before round 3 your board is Tusk/Clock/Clock/Ogre/Ogre. If you have the money, the play is to add the 2 Clock AND the 2 Ogre, because both will give you a chance at a 2* next turn. Adding the Tusk for the Warrior synergy might help you win the next round, but you don't have as much change to upgrade units.

>Lategame, big AOE is king. Many of these synergies are worth discarding for an Enigma, Disruptor, Medusa, or Tide (with Lich, Techies, Kunkka, and Alche close behind).

CLASS
Assassin: A strong option and really powers up your TA, but many other assassins do primarily magic damage so the bonus can be wasted. You'll need something else to tank and it's very weak against neutral rounds.

Demon Hunter: It can be nice to negate SF's or QOP's extra early damage, but it's not a gamechanger. AM himself is really situational to use; he falls off midgame but can actually be useful late if you position him well and burn off all of Tide's mana. Running both AM and TB for a full demon strategy was bugged and broken when TB first was introduced, but it's nearly useless at this point as you need both AM and TB to run it; TB requires a lot of investment and was heavily nerfed.

Druid: A decent midgame option if you get early 2* and 3* units with Beast bonus, but it falls off massively. Ench 3* and Furion 3* are worse than most 2* units. LD 3* is the only one viable lategame.

Hunter: Not too bad to have, but Drow and Sniper are relatively weak. WR is great damage but getting a good powershot is often times completely random. Beastmaster is great overall though doing great damage early and tanking well, lategame you can run him/Medusa/Tide to power up your 'Dusa's damage. 6 Hunters is a very wonky strat and would require you to have a good lead.

Knight: In theory Knight shields should counter mass AOE damage, but they simply don't. 4 Knights are a good option for the midgame, but you'll need some good damage dealers and AOE to support that frontline.

Mage: I really can't get Mage to work well; to me Lina ( and Puck (when not part of a DK strat...even then ) are kind of poor and Ogre falls off. CM is kind of bugged, there's definitely times when her aura doesn't work.

Mech: Really amazing early game, good midgame, nearly useless lategame. A Tinker 3* is weaker than a lot of 2* units and big AOE just scythes through the regen. That said, Clock 2* and Timber 2* are freaking gods midgame and either of them at 3* is good even without the synergy.

Shaman: Not something you shoot for but it's nice to add the Disruptor into your Troll strategy.

Warlock: Not something that's going to specifically carry you but it can be good to add in lifesteal if you're running an SF as your Demon. High DPS units like Troll Warlord/SF/DK will just lifesteal back whatever HP they lose in the initial round of AOE spells.

Warrior: 3 warriors can be strong really early, and 6 warriors with some DPS in the back can carry your midgame; you might have to replace them though so you can do enough AOE damage. 9 warriors is a gimmick to be employed when stomping only.

SPECIES
Beast: A good early bonus if you get a 2* Ench paired with a Tusk. Nice to have lategame if you have an LD, but not something that's worth building to.

Demon: It's almost always worth having at least one Demon in your lineup though, all of them are great throughout except CK who can fall off late.

Dragon: The instant dragon form of the DK makes Dragon one of the most powerful race synergies. Unfortunately Puck and Viper as units are kind of blah, and Puck can actually be a lategame liability, because he'll orb instantly, do tickle damage, and give Tide/Enigma/Dusa enough mana for an early ult.

Dwarf/Ogre: These solo synergies are nothing to write home about, except for making 2* Ogre a decent early tank.

Element: A weirdly decent synergy but it's limited because Tiny sucks and Morph is just OK (Razor is great though and Enigma is a lategame beast). I've never made it work myself but I've seen some streamers stomp with it. It can stop Troll strategies flat but will lose to AOEs.

Elf: Evasion is pretty good midgame, but it's limited because there aren't many Elves who scale (maybe only Luna really does) and just like Element, magic AOE is king lategame.

Goblin: Running 3 of BH/Tinker/Timber/Clock is a very viable early game strat, if your timber gets the buff then you're going to beat people with more upgrades than you. Lategame 3 Goblins is useless and 6 Goblins is very gimmicky (Alche and Techies don't have a high enough drop rate to rely on geting enough of them).

Human: It's nice to have and it'll win a couple rounds for you. Omni is worth adding to lot of warrior comps for extra damage/tankiness. That said, not something you shoot for. Running Kunkka/Lycan and CM/Lina would require you to have a 3rd warrior and 3rd mage to be good, and then your lineup is limited. KOTL spends a lot of time channeling his ability and not autoattcking. Omni is decent to add in as well

Naga: Definitely nice to have. Tide/Dusa is a great lategame combo, and if you're running assassins, including Slardar as a tank with your Slark is cool. However, Slardar himself is not great so it's not something to definitely shoot for early.

Orc: Axe, Jugg, and Beast are all good cheap units, and Disruptor is incredibly powerful. Just like AM does with mana burn, Axe can prevent Tide's ult going off by getting a call off. Raw HP means you're good against both magic and physical, and I expect this synergy or some of its units to get nerfed.

Troll: 4 Trolls plus something like Luna or SF will melt everybody in the midgame and still be strong lategame. But on their own, Trolls are relatively weak units, and you might find yourself having to choose between frontline units and AOE to support your trolls. Also, if the Troll Warlord never drops, you're hosed. I've won a lot of regular pubs with Trolls, but haven't gotten them to work in Bishop lobbies as people save their gold better and can kill me with AOE. A lot of people will simply run Troll Warlord by himself as part of a warrior strategy, partly for his good damage, partly to keep trolls out of the pool.

Undead: If you're an old school Warcraft 3 FT player, you know that Undead almost isn't a race until you get orb of corruption. And Undead is really useful this game too. It's worth just running casual Abba/Drow through the midgame then replacing one or both with Necro or Lich. Hard to fit 4 UD in a lineup though.

I agree with, like, 90% of this. A few random things I don't:

• Assassins are dogshit. Personal bias maybe, but I've tried them many times, played against them many times, they're real bad as a long-term option and are largely negated by competent positioning. Weirdly the only thing they do seem good for in my experience is neutral rounds :confused:
  • All the 3* Druids are pretty good even into the lateish game. Add a third Elf for the rather decent tribal bonus, and I've even done well with 6 elves when my scariest opponents are physical damage based. Also LD is **BUSTED**
  • 3 Mage bonus was insane before they reverted it back to 30/50 and is still very good in lategame AoE battles. Razor is must-have, Puck/CM/Ogre/Lich are all mediocre-but-playable. SF as your demon highly recommended, and Dragons are a nice pairing. 6 Mage is usually bad although I've had one or two games where I just could not touch a well upgraded 6 mage player who instagibbed me every round regardless of how I positioned.
  • Beast synergy is really nice and the fact that Lycan and Tusk are both Warrior Beasts is super relevant and powerful. 6 Warrior+4 Beasts (ench+LD) at level 8 is better than almost any other level 8 comp you could imagine. Just don't do 6 beasts. I've tried.
  • Enigma just isn't that good. I don't know why people like him so much, but he's slow, unreliable and not even particularly high damage in most cases. Notable exception being creep rounds.

Mostly I think Druids and particularly 3 mage bonus are better than you give them credit for. I love Druids. Druids never seem to do me wrong :love:

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
I think I mess up positioning a lot, my apm sucks (reselecting the courier between shuffling units, bleh) so I am often just doing a scrimmage line. What formations do you guys commonly use to counter stuff like assassins, aoe cc, etc?

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
Basically if you are playing against assassins put all your units in one corner.

Otherwise its spread out to avoid AOE and put the units with the big CC spells (Tide / Disrupters / Kunkka) in the front so they (hopefully) go off before the opponent's counterparts.

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
http://www.autochess-stats.com/

A site for tracking your rank, and how screwed you get for losing to a Pawn :eng99:

schmitty9800
Feb 10, 2003

King Pawn posted:

• Assassins are dogshit. Personal bias maybe, but I've tried them many times, played against them many times, they're real bad as a long-term option and are largely negated by competent positioning. Weirdly the only thing they do seem good for in my experience is neutral rounds :confused:
  • All the 3* Druids are pretty good even into the lateish game. Add a third Elf for the rather decent tribal bonus, and I've even done well with 6 elves when my scariest opponents are physical damage based. Also LD is **BUSTED**
  • 3 Mage bonus was insane before they reverted it back to 30/50 and is still very good in lategame AoE battles. Razor is must-have, Puck/CM/Ogre/Lich are all mediocre-but-playable. SF as your demon highly recommended, and Dragons are a nice pairing. 6 Mage is usually bad although I've had one or two games where I just could not touch a well upgraded 6 mage player who instagibbed me every round regardless of how I positioned.
  • Beast synergy is really nice and the fact that Lycan and Tusk are both Warrior Beasts is super relevant and powerful. 6 Warrior+4 Beasts (ench+LD) at level 8 is better than almost any other level 8 comp you could imagine. Just don't do 6 beasts. I've tried.
  • Enigma just isn't that good. I don't know why people like him so much, but he's slow, unreliable and not even particularly high damage in most cases. Notable exception being creep rounds.

Mostly I think Druids and particularly 3 mage bonus are better than you give them credit for. I love Druids. Druids never seem to do me wrong :love:

My personal experience isn't great with assassins but I see them doing well in games.

My bad with the druids, I definitely meant to say that a 3* druid is worse than strong 2* units like Kunkka, Doom, Troll, Necro, etc. And 2* LD can even be a decent tank lategame as long as he can get his bear off.

I think I'm bad with Mage so I'm a little biased against it, but I know it is strong. It's just hard to ever commit to it because you need a front line, and then you're having to keep expensive $3 units on your bench.

Beast the way you described is good for 4. The main problem with Beast to me is SK and Veno, because they're both expensive and their abilities don't fit their synergies.

The thing we'll agree to disagree on is Enigma. His range makes getting his ult off easier than some of the other big AOE pieces, and it always scales due to its percentage based damage. I've seen the guy over 600DPS...

schmitty9800 fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Feb 14, 2019

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010

dyzzy posted:

I think I mess up positioning a lot, my apm sucks (reselecting the courier between shuffling units, bleh) so I am often just doing a scrimmage line. What formations do you guys commonly use to counter stuff like assassins, aoe cc, etc?

Very roughly (and if I can describe positioning with words..)

Early/midgame: Tanky units or units that don't do any damage and just need to cast spells (Tinker, Furion, Enchantress) in a line in front, squishy units behind. Hug a wall.

vs possible Assassins, or with a longer ranged build like Hunters/Mages: same thing, but hugging the back as well. Put units you want to protect from assassins against the SIDE, not the back.

Level 15: Guaranteed assassins, similar but tanks behind your squishy units with one empty row at the back for them to get stuck in.

Lategame/vs AoE: Put your units that you want to cast their spells ASAP (Disruptor, Kunkka, Tide if 2* or has any items etc.) up front. Other units in a loose scatter behind. Ideally look at where they are positioned and adjust yourself accordingly. Another alternative is to have two clumps of 5 units hard up against either corner, which can be reasonably effective

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten

fins posted:

http://www.autochess-stats.com/

A site for tracking your rank, and how screwed you get for losing to a Pawn :eng99:

I think you have to authorize this to have it track your stats before anything will show up, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

So I was poking around and looking at things and here’s what I found:

Ranking up a unit generally does 3 things: doubles its HP, doubles it’s damage, and makes it’s ult better. Exceptions to this pattern are: Druids fall just short of doubling their HP when going from rank 2 to 3 (Ench and Furion lose 100 from what they should be, Treant and LD lose 200). Some mechs gain armor as they rank up (Clock goes 5/7/9, Timber goes 6/8/10). Demon Hunters gain some MR as they rank up (AM and TB 10/20/30).

Knight bonus does not work as advertised. If I’m interpreting the code correctly, it checks every 3s and if successful you gain a buff that gives 30 armor and 75 MR. The tooltip that says it’s a chance on being attacked just isn’t true.

MANA GAIN
There’s a lot to talk about here, apologies if it’s a bit scattered.

First of all, mana is gained on damage dealt and received. The amount gained depends on the amount of actual damage dealt, it does not care about how that relates to anyone’s max HP pools or anything like that. This means there’s a big difference in terms of mana between ranks of units, especially rank 1 and 2. Double the damage means double the mana income, and double HP means you get ult mana from being beat up at higher amounts of HP. This is a big deal for ultra that take time to get value like Ench, TB, Medusa, and so on.

Spell damage also earn mana! If you watch the mana bar of a unit (especially one with AoE) it’s very noticeable. This means that for many units once they ult it’s easier to hit ult mana afterwards. This is part of why units like Puck and Timber can just spam so hard. It also means that some units get much more value out of ranking up because their cooldowns get lower and they’re going to be limited mainly by that. Hitting that first ult can be very important and affects how you want to spread items around.

Another interesting thing is that Shamans, Mages, Warlocks, and Demons (kinda) earn more mana. Some of the details are here: https://www.reddit.com/r/AutoChess/comments/al2we4/analyzing_auto_chess_code_potential_bugs_revealed/ . Short version is regular units earn between 10-20% of their damage dealt as mana, capped at 10 per instance. Mages, Shamans, and Warlocks earn 40% (I believe without a randomized range?) of their damage done as mana, and are capped at 20 per instance. Demons seem to count their Fel Power pure damage as a separate instance and thus earn more mana than is normally possible because it gets around the normal cap most units hit by having 2 damage instances in one attack. This is why SF hits ult mana so drat fast. It also makes ults that have AoE or damage over time give lots of mana because the number of instances is high.

I also threw together a basic spreadsheet of unit stats if anyone is curious to compare things like DPS or EHP across characters. Link here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wi9HjyXGfQtABf6PXWKcF8rzyz-ECjSZ7mVKEKQyBKY