Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:
Saving the World One Moonrune at a Time, Let's Translate Farland Saga 1 & 2! (Also featuring Farland Story)

The Farland franchise, developed by TGL, is set in a generic fantasy land wherein its inhabitants go on various quests of incremental stakes until the fate of the world is in their hands and they have to punch the local deity (or equivalent) in the face. Given TGL's much smaller budgets and staff sizes compared to, say, Square-Enix, it doesn't compare favorably to other games of its era (the game I'm currently covering came out in 1996), and it also doesn't age all that well, but I was introduced to it by my cousin back in the day when I hadn't played all that many video games, so I still remember it fondly enough to want to share the experience with you guys.

Farland Saga, also known as Farland Tactics, is a spinoff series from the main Farland storyline. Unfortunately, I haven't played very many of the other games so I wouldn't be able to give a detailed synopsis of how it fits in with the overall timeline, and the series is old enough that there isn't a lot of stuff available on the internet.

Disclaimer: Unless otherwise noted, these games were localized from Japanese to Chinese, so this LP is in effect a translation of a translation. I will add what little I know about Japanese in various footnotes.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Compilation on Google Docs

Farland Saga 1
Stage 1
Stage 2
Stages 3 - 5
Stages 6 - 8
Stages 9 - 13
Stages 14 - 16
Stages 17 - 19
Stages 20 - 23
Stages 24 - 25 (main game end)
Stages 26 - 29
Stages 30 - 39
Stages 40 - 50
Characters (beware spoilers)
Voice Actors

Farland Saga 2
Day 1
Days 2 - 3 *updated with new material!*
Days 4 - 8 *updated with new material!*
Days 9 - 11 *updated with new material!*
Days 12 - 15 *updated with new material!*
Day 16 *updated with new material!*
Day 17 *updated with new material!*
Characters (beware spoilers)
Voice Actors

Farland Franchise Overview

Farland Story
Game mechanics and Stage 1
Stage 2
Stage 3
Stage 4
Stage 5
Stage 6
Stage 7
Stage 8
Stage 9
Stage 10
Stage 11
Stage 12
Stage 13
Stage 14

Farland Story 2
Stages 1 - 3
Stages 4 - 6
Stages 7 - 9
Stages 10 - 12
Stages 13-14

Farland Story 3
Stage 1
Stage 2
Stage 3
Stage 4
Stage 5
Stage 6
Stage 7
Stage 8
Stage 9
Stage 10
Stage 11
Stage 12
Stage 13
Stage 14
Stage 15
Stage 16
Stage 17
Stage 18
Stage 19
Stage 20
Stage 21
Stage 22
Stage 24
Stage 25
Stages 26 - 29
Stage 30
Stage 31
Stage 32
Stage 33
Stages 34 - 35
Stage 36
Stage 37
Stage 38
Stage 39
Stage 40

Farland Story: Dance of Destruction
Stage 1
Stage 2
Stage 3
Stage 4
Stage 5
Stage 6
Stage 7
Stage 7
Stage 8
Stage 9
Stage 10
Stage 11
Stage 12
Stage 13
Stage 14
Stage 15
Stage 16
Stage 17
Stage 18
Stage 19
Stage 20
Stage 21
Stage 22
Stage 23
Stage 24
Stage 25

Farland Story 4
Stage 1
Stage 2
Stage 3
Stage 4
Stage 5
Stage 6
Stage 7
Stage 8
Stage 9
Stage 10
Stage 11
Stage 12
Stage 13
Stage 14
Stage 15
Stage 16
Stage 17
Stage 18
Stage 19
Stage 20
Stage 21
Stage 22
Stage 23
Stage 24
Stage 25
Stage 26
Stage 27
Stage 28
Stage 29
Stage 30
Stage 31
Stage 32
Stage 33
Stage 34
Stage 35
Stage 36
Stage 37
Stage 38
Stage 39
Stage 40

Farland Story 5
Stage 1
Stage 2
Stage 3
Stage 4
Stage 5
Stage 6
Stage 7
Stage 8
Stage 9
Stage 10
Stage 11
Stage 12
Stage 13
Stage 14
Stage 15
Stage 16
Stage 17
Stage 18
Stage 19
Stage 20
Stage 21
Stage 22
Stage 23
Stage 24
Stage 25
Stage 26
Stage 27
Stage 28
Stage 29
Stage 30
Stage 31
Stage 32
Stage 33
Stage 34
Stage 35
Stage 36
Stage 37
Stage 38
Stage 39
Stage 40

Farland Story 6
Stage 1
Stages 2 - 3
Stage 4
Stage 5
Stage 6
Stage 7
Stage 8
Stage 9
Stage 10
Stage 11
Stage 12
-----------------------------------------------------------

Upon launching a new game, we're immediately treated to what I believe to be an in-engine cinematic with super deformed character models and with half-body character portraits accompanying the dialogue boxes.

Video link

Leon: Sorry for making you wait! :sweatdrop:
Ralph: Why're you dragging your feet like that?
Leon: My bad, my bad. Hey, where's dad?
Ralph: He's probably already gone on ahead!
Leon: WHAAAAT!?
Ralph: Just kidding. He's waiting at the village gate. :razz:
Leon: Don't scare me like that!
Ralph: It's your own fault for not getting up early enough. Enough blather, let's get going!
Leon: Yeah, let's!

:eng101: Dot's Footnote About Moon Runes :eng101:
Befitting his personality as a rough-and-tumble type with little brain-to-mouth filter, Ralph speaks with a Kansai dialect and uses more casual grammar.

Ralph: Hey, pops!
Brian: Hey, took you two long enough!
Leon: Sorry, dad.
Ralph: What a sleepy-head.
Leon: I was too nervous to fall asleep last night.
Brian: Oh, yeah, this is your first trip to the palace, isn't it?
Leon: Uh-huh! I wanna hurry up and see it!
Ralph: Please! Act your age!
Leon: You're one to talk! Didn't you buy a new outfit just for the occasion?
Ralph: And that's exactly why I think you're still a kid. Think about it--we're going to Barth's capital city! There's gotta be lots of pretty girls there! :heysexy:
Leon: So you're planning to pick up chicks, huh? :rolleyes:
Ralph: C'mon, be nice! This is the chance of a lifetime!
Leon: Sure, whatever you say...
Brian (chuckling): The world isn't as nice as you think at all.
Ralph: Pops~
Leon: So what can we expect at the palace tomorrow, dad?
Brian: I'll explain along the way. C'mon!

• The pronunciation is something like "ba-a-su" (that's /bɑːsɨ̥ᵝ/ in fancy-schmancy IPA), so "Bath" might be the better transliteration, as there is a city in the UK with that name, but as someone more used to American English I added an "r".
  • In the original dialogue, Ralph calls Brian "oyaji" (a super laid back way of addressing an older man, it's outright rude in most contexts) while Leon uses the much more polite "tou-san".

Ralph: Wh-wh-wh-what is that!?
Leon: Monsters!?
Brian: I heard that there were more monster attacks lately...didn't think the rumors were true.
Leon: D-d-dad! What do we do???
Brian: What's the big deal? Haven't I trained you for situations like this since you were little? Just do as I've been teaching you, and winning won't be a problem. :black101:
Ralph: Alright! Leave everything to me!

Brian: Idiot! Charging ahead by yourself can still get you surrounded and killed even if the enemy is weak!
Leon: Ralph, I think it's better if we all stuck together.
Ralph: Yeah...no point in pushing things too far.

Stage 1: Setting Off

Video link

Immediately, one of the major weaknesses of this game shows itself: the map is pointlessly huge and cannot be rotated. Worse, you can't move through any units, not even your allies. Many turns will be spent standing around doing nothing, especially if one wants to gather all of the treasure lying around on the field--and you have to schlep over to those spots if you want them, because the game won't count them as gained at the end of any battle otherwise. On your first playthrough, you also might want to save each turn individually, because some monsters (and only those monsters) will drop loot, but the battle ends immediately once you've completed the objective.

The second slightly annoying factor is that you have to end all of your turns by selecting the command in the menu (or by inputting the proper keyboard shortcut); the game will not do this for you, not even after all party members have completed their move and fight actions.

Anyway, now that we're in a battle, let's take a look at the characters the game has handed to us so far:

(Stats in the left column under the character portrait are as follows: HP, MP, Attack, Defense, Intelligence, Magic Defense, Agility, with the numbers in parentheses the bonuses/penalties granted to us by equipment. The right column tracks all experience accumulated and the character's elemental attribute--Leon has, I believe, 5 ranks in Wind.)

Leon is our generic sword user. He's not the strongest of the fighters, but he can hold his own fairly well. He'll eventually gain some fancy skills, but right now all he can do is move and attack.

Ralph is a monk (element: stone). He's got about the same stats as Leon.

Brian is a tank (element: light). In addition to his better stats, he has a spear that pierces two tiles, so position him carefully.

Attacking in this game works like any other isometric turn-based RPG that features alternating ally and enemy turns, except for one additional twist: if your character is in a straight line with an enemy and at least two tiles away, they will initiate a charge when you have them attack, doing extra damage.

The animations in this game are fairly charming--units idle about until they complete all actions, have various reactions depending on whether an attack landed and if they are suffering from any status effects (I will tl;dr more on that when they become relevant), and all special abilities have their own distinct effects--though any and all of these can be turned off in the settings.

Picking up an item immediately puts it into the group inventory that can be used by anyone, but anything equippable stays in that character's inventory until they hand it off to someone else, and you have to be within 4 tiles of an ally in order to give them stuff.

Once a character completes an action (attacking, executing a skill, or using an item), they will gain experience and fill a bar, leveling up once the bar fills all the way to the right. There's no need to spread experience across all characters evenly as the game does not have a particularly high difficulty curve, so just pick the party member(s) you like and feed them all of the kills.

This battle is nothing special, just four wolves and four imps that you have to wipe out. They won't engage unless you move into range, but you can have one guy play bait while the others stay on the bridge from getting back attacked. The on-field treasure is just a leather armor that Leon and Brian is already wearing and is a mere 2 points better than what Ralph has, so you're free to leave that there, though you may want to pick up all of the herbs that are dropped by the various monsters (they restore 20 HP each). You start out with a couple of herbs and 2 Phoenix Down equivalents (the Chinese version translates it as "stimulant"), so having emergency healing on hand is always great.

The cutscenes between battles lock me out of the menu while they run, but thanks to the magic of editing I'm going to break them up into more digestible chunks.

Video link

Leon: Phew! A real fight is totally different from practice.
Ralph: Ha! For me it was a piece of cake!
Brian: Take a good look at yourself before you boast.
Ralph: Huh?...oh nooooooo!
Leon: Ick! We're covered in mud...
Ralph: M-my clothes... :cry:
Brian: Didn't I tell you? Life's a lot tougher than you'd imagine.
Leon: If only there really were some sort of Destiny out there that we could meet.
Ralph (dusting himself off): Uuuuuugh... :cry:

Next time: as the plot gives the first hints of trouble brewing on the horizon, we gain another party member.

The cast so far:
Leon: An earnest and kind-hearted young swordsman.
Ralph: Leon's best friend, he is hot-blooded and quick to speak his mind, his Kansai accent getting worse as he becomes more emotional. Prefers to fight with his fists.
Brian: Leon and Ralph's father figure. Uses a spear.

dotchan fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Aug 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
This looks interesting. Are those charging attacks worth deliberately trying to set up or are they just a nice bonus if the situation happens to allow for it?

I suggest you don't use timg though because having to resize all the images is kind of a drag.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

Zanzibar Ham posted:

This looks interesting. Are those charging attacks worth deliberately trying to set up or are they just a nice bonus if the situation happens to allow for it?

The latter. This game's tactical element isn't all that deep. It mostly boils down to "if I can't kill a unit in one character turn, to whom do I feed this kill?"

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I suggest you don't use timg though because having to resize all the images is kind of a drag.

Huh, I thought the regular images were a bit big and took up too much space, but if you think not resizing them is more convenient, then I'll do that instead.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

dotchan posted:

Huh, I thought the regular images were a bit big and took up too much space, but if you think not resizing them is more convenient, then I'll do that instead.

They're fine for me full-size, though of course for others it might be different. Generally though I've seen (and agree with) a general sentiment that many timgs in an update get annoying, while much less of the opposite view.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

Video link

Brian: Would either of you mind if we dropped by my son's house?
Leon: Oh, yeah, he lives here, doesn't he?
Brian: I should visit him more often.
Ralph: Oh, hey, isn't this the first time we're going to meet Pop's family?
Leon: Huh, you're right.
Ralph: Sh-should we call him 'big bro'?
Leon: Just act normal.

Nora: You've had quite the trip, haven't you? My husband will be back soon, so please rest up a bit.
Brian: We were on our way to the palace, but we thought we'd stop by first. By the way, is Karen doing well?
Nora: Oh, yes! As a matter of fact, she's busy playing dressup for daddy right now!
Brian: That so? I'm looking forward to seeing how she looks!
Nora: Leon, Ralph, please make yourselves at home as well.
Leon and Ralph: O-okay!

Nevermind, turns out her name is quite unambiguosly "Nora". Thanks, Polsy!

Karen: GRAMPA--! :glomp:
Brian: Hey, Karen! You've gotten tall.
Karen: Uh-huh! And these are new clothes, too! :D
Brian: That so? They look very nice on you.
Karen: Yaaaaaay! (running over to Ralph and Leon) Hey, you guys? Am I cute? Am I? :3:
Ralph: Heck yeah! Yer mad sweet-lookin'. :thumbsup:
Karen: Huh? 'Mad-sweet'? :confused:
Leon: What he means is you look really cute.
Karen: Yay! Thank you so much! (running over to Nora) Mama! They said I'm really cute! :D
Nora: That's great, dear! Oh, that reminds me, why don't you go get Papa for us?
Karen: Okay! (runs off)
Brian: Kasim tells me she's starting to learn magic.
Nora: She is. We thought it'd be just a phase, but the teacher tells us she's pretty gifted.
Brian: I see. That's good to hear.
Nora: I'd rather that it'll always be this peaceful and she never needs to use any magic.
Brian: It will. We're heading off to ensure it.

:eng101: Dot's Footnotes About Moon Runes :eng101:
In anime-land, very young children (usually not older than 1st or 2nd grade, though this can be used to signify childishness in general) like Karen refer to themselves in the third person. It's supposed to sound cutesy or whatever. The last I checked, American kids don't do this, so I'm not preserving Karen's verbal tic in translation.

Bendigeidfran posted:

[Ralph] says "めちゃべっぴんやて", "meccha beppin ya de", where meccha means "very" and beppin is a way of saying "pretty woman/girl" (though literally meaning "a product of high quality"). ya de is just the Kansai dialect version of da yo, affirming the first part.

Thanks, Bendigeifran! Ralph has been "localized" appropriately.

Kasim: Father, I haven't seen you in such a long time and you're already on your way again?
Brian: Sorry, we're in a hurry...we'll swing by on our way back.
Nora: If there aren't so many monsters, then maybe you can take Karen with you...
Brian: ...we should go. Karen, next time I come by, I'll tell you about the capital. Be a good girl while you wait, alright?
Karen: I will! :D
Nora: There they go...
Kasim: I hope they can make it to the palace safely...
Nora: Can't Father take care of wild monsters just fine?
Kasim: It's not that...Father, he...has no sense of direction.

Video link

Leon: Where in the world are we?
Ralph: Pops, is Barth really in this direction?
Leon: Doesn't look like it. :sweatdrop:
Brian: S-sorry...looks like we've lost the way.
Ralph: 'The way'? Take a look around--there isn't even a road!
Leon: Oh, hey! There's one right there!
Ralph: Aww, yeah! Nice going, Leon!
Brian: Huh, sounds like there's a commotion going on over there.

Fam: No--! Somebody stop this crazy thing!
Ralph: Woah, what's with that blinged out carriage, flying down the road like they own it?
Leon: I think the horses broke loose from their reins...
Brian: That girl is...? Oh, no! They're in danger! Go after them, and hurry!
(Sound of tremendous crash is heard as the scene fades to black.)

Leon: What an awful noise...
Ralph: Don't tell me they fell off the cliff!
Brian: How could this happen...Princess Fam...
Ralph: What? That...was royalty!?
Leon: Oh! Dad, Ralph, look over there!

Brian: Princess Fam! And Marcia!
Fam: What? Did the enemy recruit new troops?
Marcia: Sir Brian!
Fam: Huh?
Marcia: Your Highness, they're on our side!
Brian: I am the Knight Errant Brian. When we last met, Your Highness was just a baby, so you probably don't remember me.
Marcia: I'll say! How many years has it been since you left the capital, Sir Brian? I haven't seen you in so long!
Brian: Now's not the time to reminisce about old times. We can handle things here, Marcia, go to the castle and get help!
Marcia: What? B-but, what about Her Highness?
Fam: Marcia, listen to this Sir Knight--you're the only one who can get into the castle right now. We can still hold the line for a while with him and his squires, so make it fast!
Marcia: O-okay! (flies off)
???: Hahahahahahaha...HAHAHAHAHAHA... (breaks down coughing)
Fam: Who's there? Show yourself, right now!

• Marcia shows deference to Brian by calling him "Brian-sama". We are never told what rank Marcia is compared to Brian, but given what's eventually revealed of him later, it wouldn't be surprising at all that he was once granted lands and titles. Still, for simplicity's sake I stuck with "Sir".
  • True to her bearing as a princess, Fam uses extremely polite verbiage--she even asks our mystery bandit to "please" show himself!

T.T.: Nice to meet you, Princess. My name is T.T.
Fam: Oh, so you know that I am Fam of the Barth Kingdom, you barbarian?
T.T.: That's right, and if I can get a ransom from your father the king, I swear that I will bring no harm to you.
Fam: Is that so? Well, if you surrender to me and allow me to give you a vicious beating, I'll forgive this transgression.
T.T.: Alas, that a person with such a bearing as yourself would speak of such vulgar things, what a pity...then again, like the woman I used to love, it's the stubborn ones that are truly beautiful.
Leon: Hey, Ralph, who is that guy up there?
Ralph: Who knows? Probably just some idiot.
T.T.: Hey, what're you peasants rabbling about?
Ralph: W-who're you calling a peasant!?
Leon: Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. :rolleyes:
T.T.: Anyway, Your Highness, though rumor has it that you're the coldest Ice Queen in the entire castle, I can't bear to see a scratch on that beautiful skin of yours, so why don't you come on over here and rest by my side? :quagmire:
Ralph: Dammit! The more I think about it, the more it pisses me off!
Brian: Your Highness! Please stay behind us!
Fam: Worry not. Against an enemy of this level...I won't even break a sweat!
T.T.: Oh, dear. It looks like the Princess still needs to be taught some manners. You all! Don't hurt the Princess--just chop the rest of them up for dinner!
Leon: Did you hear that, Ralph? He's going to serve us dinner!
Ralph: That's "for" dinner, you dolt! Are you deaf?
Brian: This isn't the time for a comedy routine! Focus and protect the Princess!
Ralph: Saving royalty's not really my thing, but that guy's way more punchable right now...alright, Leon! Let's show him what we're made of!
Leon: Of course!

• In the original dialogue, T.T. calls Leon and Ralph "pumpkins and eggplants", implying that they're just fodder.
  • In the original dialogue, Brian states that it's not the time for "manzai"--this is a specifically Japanese version of the straight man/wise guy comedy duo that's sometimes more Three Stooges than Abbot and Costello, though it also features plenty of untranslatable word play.

Stage 2: The Elegant Challenger

Link to full battle

This battle features the objective "Defeat T.T.", so you could theoretically just rush up the mountain, ignore the three wolves at the base, past the three goblins, three demons, and two fairies, beat T.T.'s smug face in and end the battle, but then you'd miss out on all that sweet, sweet swag.

The devils and fairies can both fly, meaning most of the terrain isn't an obstacle for them, and the fairies can also heal from a distance.

However, we've just picked up a healer of our own. Even better, Fam (element: light) is much more like a traditional D&D CodZilla than your typical JRPG white mage: in addition to healing and resurrection she'll also pick up an impressive array of buffs, and she hits fairly hard with her staff (some of which can also pierce multiple tiles like Brian's spear) during the rare times she's out of MP (not an often occurrence since all characters automatically regain a bit of MP per turn) or she doesn't have any spells to cast.

I usually go pick up the on-field treasure at the foot of the mountain (a sword for Leon) first before slowly working my way up and eliminating all of the minions. Once we get into range, T.T. will taunt us ("Ha ha ha! Let's see what you're made of, chumps!") and will start slamming us with earth magic.

(T.T.'s description reads: "An illusionist who proclaims himself capable of saving the world's women with his love. Uses the power of the earth to enhance his magic attacks.")

Fortunately, he is a proper squishy wizard (in this particular outing, he didn't even attack any one of us!) and it doesn't take long to flatten him.

Video link

T.T.: Not bad! Looks like I underestimated you.
Fam: Let me ask you again--will you surrender quietly, or will you continue your useless resisting?
T.T.: It'd be my honor to get my hands on a character such as yourself, and I'd love to grant your request...but if I lost to Larry, Curly, and Moe here, it'd ruin my reputation as a charming gentleman.
Ralph: Who're you calling a stooge!?
Leon: Not again...
Brian: Not planning to go without a fight even in this state, huh? :black101:
T.T.: Go ahead, don't hold back.
Fam: !!
Brian: You can't be serious!

Ralph: Looks like the cavalry's here.
T.T.: Hmph...all that does is add a couple more corpses...*chokes*
Dignified looking man: What's the matter? What happened to all of your big talk?
Fam: Sir Avi!
T.T.: This is bad!
Avi: Would you like to test the sharpness of my blade?
T.T.: *whistles*
*a vulture descends from the sky and picks up T.T. with its claws*
T.T.: Farewell! Hahahahahaha!!

Ralph: Woah...
Leon: You can say that again...
Avi: What next? Maybe send some troops to take a look, just in case?
Fam: No need. I don't think anyone would be able to survive a fall from that height. Nevermind that awful brute, I haven't thanked you for your help yet!
Avi: I didn't contribute all that much--your friends here did most of the heavy lifting.
Fam: True. I owe my life to you all; I'll have to thank you properly when I get the chance.
Ralph: Don't bother--it's not like we went out of our way to do anything.
Fam: ......
Brian: Ralph! Please forgive him, he's not familiar with courtly manners.
Fam: I don't mind. What's important is that I can't show my gratitude here. Would you accept my invitation to the castle?
Brian: It'd be my honor. By the way, I didn't get a chance to introduce myself properly--I'm Brian, and I used to serve your father the king.
Fam: Is that so? I had no idea. Forgive my previous rudeness, Sir Brian.
Brian: Don't worry about it. You couldn't have known about something that happened so far in the past.
Fam: Are these two gentlemen your sons?
Brian: They lost their parents in the previous war, so I adopted them. This is Ralph, and the one behind me is Leon.
Avi: ...!
Brian: ....
Fam: Alright, please look forward to being my honored guests and letting me entertain you.

Next time: What not to do when you encounter a dead body.

Characters introduced in this update:
Kasim: Brian's biological son, he is a hard-working family man.
Nora: Kasim's spouse, she is a sweet and gentle housewife.
Karen: Kasim and Nora's daughter, she is an energetic and adorable fire mage in training.
Fam: The princess of the human kingdom Barth, her polite and noble demeanor belies a headstrong personality. Though she specializes in healing magic, she is no slouch with a quarterstaff. Joins the party to repel T.T.'s first assault.
Marcia: Fam's personal bodyguard, she is one of the few non-humans who serves at Barth's court.
T.T.: A mysterious arrogant playboy earth mage who claims to have been undefeated before running into the party, but his bark is far worse than his bite.
Avi: A general of the monster kingdom who is also well-respected in the human realm.

dotchan fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Mar 18, 2021

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Avi has a very vampiric sprite, so I'm guessing his do-goodery's a temporary thing, and now it seems he suspects something about Leon and/or Ralph.

e: oh wait, that vampire-dude isn't Avi, is he just a nameless assistant?

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

Zanzibar Ham posted:

e: oh wait, that vampire-dude isn't Avi, is he just a nameless assistant?

Not nameless, but yeah, an assistant. As for Avi, well, all will be revealed eventually.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

dotchan posted:

Ralph: Heck yeah! [Says something that I cannot parse for the life of me.] :thumbsup:
Karen: Huh? [Repeats what Ralph said Metal Gear style.] :confused:
Leon: What he means is you look really cute.

As Leon says, though, I presume in a Kansai way, I'm not too familiar with dialects. I guess the translation got across that he's not using more common words, at least.

Also Laura is named Nora? (at least, in the version this person is playing, which isn't voice-acted)

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

Polsy posted:

Also Laura is named Nora? (at least, in the version this person is playing, which isn't voice-acted)

That's what I get for relying on the Chinese transliteration, which went with 羅娜 (Rona). Time to mass search and replace!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I hope we've met a Mid-Boss. That T.T. guy looks like he'll be fun to watch chew scenery.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

Since the next three battles go by rather quickly, I'm going to cover them all in one update.

Video link

Store clerk: Welcome!
Brian: Things sure have changed since I was last here--there wasn't like a store like this in the past.
Store clerk: You used to live in this castle?
Brian: That was 15 years ago...nevermind, what's for sale?
Store clerk: We've got plenty in stock, please take your time!

From now on, you'll have a chance to visit the store between certain stages, restocking on items and upgrading your gear.

In this store, the top three items are your restoratives: an item that heals 20 HP, an item that heals 40 HP and 10 MP, and an item that revives downed allies.

For the rest of the gear, the game will show you what your current party has equipped, so you don't have to remember what they were wearing. It also doesn't really matter who buys what, but it does help inventory management to have everyone only buy gear that they can equip: in this case, since upgrades were available for all of my characters, I had Leon pick up a sword, Ralph new fists, Brian a spear, and Fam a staff.

As soon as you finish shopping, another cutscene loads in.

Brian: I should get going. They're probably bored out of their minds by now.
Store clerk: Thanks for your patronage!

Video link

Leon: I can't seem to settle down at all.
Ralph: Me neither. Wonder where Pops went? He hasn't come back yet.
Leon: I guess he's still visiting all the people he knew back then.
Ralph: Man, I used to look up to Pops before, but if being a knight means I have to put up with people like this, no thanks.
Leon: Still not a fan of the nobility, huh.
Ralph: Of course. Most of these high class brats only care about fattening their own wallets.
Avi (walking up from behind): Not all of them.
Leon and Ralph (at the same time): !
Avi: At least, the king of this realm still puts his people first, so it's not as bad as you think.
Ralph: M-my bad! I didn't mean to imply that you were like that.
Avi: No need to apologize. There are many who are only [in politics] for themselves, but so long as the people they rule don't mind, what can you do about it?
Ralph: O-oh...
Leon: If you don't mind me asking, are you looking for someone?
Avi: I was hoping to talk to the courageous young men who saved the princess; I hope I'm not interrupting something.
Leon and Ralph (at the same time): N-no, not at all!

(Fade to black, implying that a conversation ensued.)

Avi: I see, so Brian has raised the two of you...
Leon: Uh-huh.
Avi: Has it ever been lonely, being without your parents?
Leon: I've always had Brian to call 'Dad', and Ralph's always been around, so...
Ralph: As kids, whenever I got bullied to tears, Leon would be the one who stood up for me.
Leon: You don't have to bring that part up.
Avi: I see, so you could say that you've been blessed, huh.

(Remember this conversation. It will be important later.)

Baruk: Excuse me, Sir Avi, but we must be off...
Avi: Already? Alright, I'll join you shortly. (turns his attention back to Leon and Ralph) Looks like I have to keep going. Can I hear more of your story some other time?
Leon and Ralph (at the same time): S-sure!

Ralph: Wow! What a guy!
Leon: Indeed he is.
Fam: Truly, an admirable personage no matter how one looks at him...
Ralph: W-w-what are you doing here?!
Fam: How rude. This is my castle, is it not?
Leon: You've given us quite the surprise...seriously, what are you doing in this place, Your Highness?
Fam: First of all, please don't address me as "Your Highness" outside of formal occasions. Just "Fam" is fine.
Leon: S-sure...
Ralph: What's with the sudden shift from being all serious and everything to this?
Fam: None of your business! It was for Sir Avi's sake, that's all!
Ralph: Aha! So that was all and act, huh?
Fam: How rude! A barbarian dares to lecture me on manners, and with such a strange accent on top of that!
Ralph: What did you say, ya hag? This is a sacred accent passed down from generation to generation! Don't try to act high and mighty with me when you don't know anything!
Fam: H-hag?!? How dare you speak to the princess of a nation this way?
Ralph: Oh, so now that it's convenient for you, you're back to being a princess again?
Leon: C'mon, let's not fight...
Fam and Ralph (at the same time): Shut up!
Fam: Oh, forget it. But, really, isn't Sir Avi amazing? Not just him, but all Turuk are full of heroic characters of that stripe.
Leon: Then the other person who came to help must be quite strong as well!
Ralph: Uh-huh! I haven't seen that sort of magic before.
Fam: That's Kaiser. It's because of him that Turuk's army, though few in number, is peerless when it comes to bravery and repelling invasions. I've heard that his elite commanders are even more amazing!
Leon: Oh? I see...
Fam: There's also a person named Sir Helios who currently lives in the nation of Youku to the north. I've heard that he's the wisest in all of Endorichy, and quite handsome besides!
Ralph (whispering): Don't tell me, she's the type to judge a book by its cover?
Fam: You'd better not be thinking about anything weird over there!
Ralph: Wha-a-a-t?
Leon: A-n-y-w-a-y, who was that other person?
Fam: That's Baruk, one of [Kaiser's] elites and the advisor for Turuk's army. He's quite skilled and shrewd.
Ralph: Now that you mention it, he does have a sinister and cunning air about him, but pretends he's not up to anything.
(Baruk enters the scene while Ralph is still talking.)
Baruk: Pardon the repeated interruption...your Highness, Sir Avi has something he wishes to discuss with you. I humbly ask that you go see him in his office.
Fam: He does? I see. Please let him know I'll be there right away.
(Baruk leaves.)
Ralph: I-I-I almost had a heart attack!
Fam: I wonder what could be the matter? Pardon me, I'll be right back.
Leon: Everybody's so busy...
Ralph: Yeah...

• I'm not bothering to transliterate "Turuk" into anything resembling a real world name because of some later plot points that would make things a little weird, to say the least.
  • "Endorichy" (again, my best guess transliteration) is the name of the island on which Farland Saga 1 takes place, while "Youku" is the other human nation to the north of Barth.
  • Kaiser's elite commanders are referred to as the "Shittenou" in Japanese. Originally a Buddhist term for the guardian deities of the four cardinal directions, this title was given to a lord's four strongest men. The concept pops up all over Japanese media including Pokemon, where the gauntlet of four trainers the player character had to face before fighting the Champion was translated as "The Elite Four".

Video link

Fam: Sir Avi? It's Fam.

Fam: What?

(:ughh: Fam! You can heal at a distance! You didn't need to touch Avi to help him! Now you've got blood all over your hands and you're standing over the dead body of a foreign envoy!)

(I have no idea why the palette ends up like this. It could be a bug due to me playing the game on VirtualBox, or an intentional decision to emphasize the emotional shock of the scene.)

Soldier: S-sir Avi!?
Fam: This...this can't be...I...
Soldier: YOU! What did you do to Sir Avi!
Fam: No! It wasn't me!

The Japanese language doesn't have a lot of direct swearing, but conveys rudeness by using inappropriate pronouns or verb structures. Here we see an insult that gets thrown around in a lot of emotionally-charged dialogue and pre-fight banter, "kisama". It can mean anything from "you scumbag" to "you [bleepty bleepy bleep]".

Soldier: How dare you murder Sir Avi!
Fam: You've got it all wrong! He was already dead when I...
Soldier: Here and now, we'll take our vengeance!
Fam: STOP!
Brian: What are you lot doing with the princess?
Soldier: You must be one of the co-conspirators!
Brian: Let go of Her Highness!
(Sound of fighting ensues.)

Leon: Dad sure is taking his sweet time.
Ralph: Yup.
Leon: Let's go look for him!
Ralph: Yeah.

Brian: The middle courtyard, huh...if I remember correctly, there should be an escape tunnel here.
Fam: What are you thinking? If we kill these Turuk troops, we'll have a war on our hands!
Brian: Right now, your safety is of the utmost priority.

Brian (makes a noise of frustration): We're outnumbered!

Leon: Huh? This isn't the right direction...
Ralph: Move it already, Leon!
Leon: Where are we?
Ralph: How should I know? It's been a ruckus ever since we made it over here.
Leon: Let's hurry up and find dad already!
Brian: Leon! Ralph!
Leon: Dad!
Ralph: What the heck's going on, pops?
Brian: There's no time to explain! Just get over here and protect the Princess!
Ralph: Dang, sounds like something serious is going down!
Leon: What are we waiting for, then?

Marcia: Princess Fam? Princess Fam!
Fam: Marcia! Over here!
Marcia: Oh, thank goodness! I'll be right there!

Stage 3: Negotiation Breakdown

Link to full battle

The only unit you actually have to defeat is this blue guard ("A soldier who wears heavy armor. Though his attack and defense are both high, he's quite slow.") in the lower right hand corner of the map, but since the game doesn't actually keep track of your gameplay decisions I'm going to murder all of these poor saps for exp and drops.

Battle #3 is where Marcia (element: wind) joins the party. Her wings aren't just for show--they allow her to ignore tile height, which makes her my go-to unit for picking up field treasure. In addition to being handy with a spear (the game calls it a "trident" to distinguish her weapons from Brian's), she'll learn an eclectic collection of attack magic, healing magic, and support magic.

For my party members, being dead is effectively just another status ailment and they'll be where they fell until revived, so sometimes I'll leave somebody knocked out if I don't think I need the extra action economy.

Something I've been forgetting to mention: leveling up instantly fills your HP and MP, so this is an option available to you if you have a weakened unit who's about to gain a level and there's no other means of healing available.

The enemy commander (who'll say: "I won't let you get away with this!" once we get close enough) falls in a couple of hits.

Heavy Infantry: *death scream*
Brian: Quick, get into the tunnel!

Video link

Baruk: Are the king, the queen and [other] people of importance in custody?
Kaiser: Kill them all.
Baruk: ...are you sure?
Kaiser: From here on out, it's war on the entire human race. Go, reduce them all to ashes!
Baruk: Yes, my lord...

Fam: How did things end up this way...father...mother...
Leon: Dad...what do we do now?
Brian: The only thing I can think of for now is to return to Kasim's village and discuss a plan from there...

Brian: W-what's going on!? Is anyone there?...Kasim?...Nora?...Karen! What on earth has happened here...
Leon: ! Dad!
Brian: You bastards! What did you do with the villagers?
???: Hehehehehehe...
Brian: No, it can't be...you didn't!

Stage 4: Aftermath of Hatred

Link to full battle

(There's a slight jump in the video because the game crashed and I had to stitch two recordings together.)

This battle looks intimidating--the archer will start raining arrows down on us and three soldiers start to approach even if nobody moves--but I keep my units grouped closely together and approach slowly, preventing the party from being swarmed and able to whittle down the enemy one or two at a time, picking up their drops as I do.

The archer, who dies in one hit and drops a Recovery Medicine (heals all status ailments when used), was also "guarding" a a Brandy (restores 50 HP and heals the "Frozen" status when used) that Marcia flies up to grab on her turn, while my landbound units circle around the bottom left building.

Ralph picks up the next closest on field treasure, an upgrade to his fists that I immediately have him equip.

The top right corner contains gold and an upgrade in armor that I put on Marcia right away since she's usually first into enemy territory; her old armor goes to Fam.

(Description: A high level officer also known as "the Colonel". Possesses strong attack power and healing magic.)

Once the enemy commander is in range, Brian will say: "You must be the leader!" and the music changes to the boss fight theme. Because he's so much stronger than his minions, just attacking him gives a pile of experience.

The Colonel: *death scream*
Brian: That looks like all of them. Let's take a look at Kasim's--my son's house.

Video link

Ralph: There ain't nobody in sight!
Leon: Huh? Where'd Marcia go?
Fam: She says she's going to be our eyes in the sky, in case anyone else shows up.
Leon: I see...
(A thump is heard.)
Leon: Huh? Did you hear something?
Ralph (kneels down): Under here!

Brian: If I remember correctly, that's the food cellar.
Ralph: Alright, let's open it.
Leon: Be careful, Ralph.

Brian: Karen!?

Karen: *sobs*
Brian: Everyting's all right now, Karen. Please, tell grampa, what happened here?
Karen (between sobs): Some weird-looking people showed up...then mama and papa...

Kasim: It's no good! We're completely surrounded!
Nora: Dearest...
Kasim: Hurry, take Karen to the cellar!
Nora: Karin, be a good girl and listen to what Mama has to say, alright? Go hide in the cellar, and no matter what happens, don't come out, and don't make any sound, either.
Karen: What about papa? And mama?
Nora: Karen...
Karen: No! I don't want papa and mama to go away!
Nora: We'll be right there, I promise, okay?
Karen: ...okay...
(Sound of cellar door closing, which is closely followed by the generic "being attacked" sound effect.)

More fun with pronouns! Nora addresses Kasim as "anata", which would literally translate into "you", but when used between spouses it has the connotation of "honey", "dear", "sweetheart", and so on.

(Back in the present)

Brian: So what's what happened. Kasim...Nora...
Karen: So...where's papa? And mama?
Fam: Karen...your parents...they...
Karen: No! Mama! Papa!
Fam: Forgive me...it's all my fault!
Ralph: Says who? You were totally framed!
Leon: Th-that's right. It's the ones who murdered Sir Avi who...
Fam: No! If I hadn't escaped from there...
Ralph: Lady, you would've died!
Fam: That's fine! Even if I were wrongly accused, if my life were enough of a sacrifice, then my parents might not have needed to die, nor the people of this village!
Brian: Princess...
Karen: *sobs even louder*
Fam: Forgive me...forgive me...

(Fade to black and back to the scene, implying some time had passed.)

Ralph: So, pops...what do we do now?
Brian: We've got no choice but to go to Youku. Waiting around here is nothing short of a death sentence.
Leon: What about the Princess...what about Fam?
Fam: I believe I should go as well. Even if the Barth royal house were to perish, I must let them know of the impending crisis.
Ralph: Isn't Youku on really bad terms with you guys?
Fam: It's not just a matter of Barth or Youku. We're about to have all out war between humans and monsters.
Brian: If you're set on going, you can only choose between a land route or a sea route.
Leon: Getting to the sea is easier said than done.
Ralph: Then we have no choice but to go through the mountains?
Fam: There is another way...but I've heard that it's become a lot more dangerous due to an increase in wild creatures.
Leon: But there really isn't any other way, is there...

In the original dialogue, the kingdom of Turuk is referred to as the "mazoku" kingdom. Given that "ma" can mean either "magic" or "demonic", I went with the Slayers official dub translation of "monsters".

Ralph: Here they come...
Leon: There're even creatures I've never seen before.
Brian: Be careful.

Stage 5: Days on the run

Link to full battle

Though the mechanics of this game don't support random encounters, this battle is flavored like one, with the party facing a mishmash of slightly stronger creatures.

And now that Karen (element: fire) has joined the party, we've got literal firepower in our hands. Given that Karen is also a literal little girl, she has the arm strength of a wet noodle and should therefore be kept out of the front lines as much as possible (advice that I don't take in the video, to my detriment).

Marcia picks up another nice piece of armor, a weapon upgrade for Karin, and a revive while on expedition.

Leon: Finally, got them all.
Fam: I've heard that extremely dangerous creatures live near the peaks. One of the factors in Youku's inability to conquer Barth despite several invasion attempts was because they ran into such creatures and suffered a loss in combat power.
Ralph: Sounds like it's gonna be a pain for us, too.

Next time: Brace yourself for severe mood whiplash.

Baruk: One of Kaiser's elite commanders. Potentially the mastermind behind Avi's murder.
Kaiser: The general of Turuk's armies. An accomplished caster. Hates humanity, possibly to the point of instigating a war on false pretenses.

dotchan fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Mar 18, 2021

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

dotchan posted:

Characters introduced in Chapter 3:
Baruk: One of Kaiser's elite commanders.
Kaiser: The general of Turuk's armies. An accomplished caster. Hates humanity to the point of instigating a war on false pretenses.

Huh, I'll be honest, I thought Kaiser was being fooled (by Baruk) into thinking Avi was murdered by Barth based on the cutscene. I suppose if this came out later we'd be able to see facial expressions that'd have made things more clear.

Also the one guy with the super-tall hair in the banquet, I hope he somehow survives and shows up again.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Huh, I'll be honest, I thought Kaiser was being fooled (by Baruk) into thinking Avi was murdered by Barth based on the cutscene. I suppose if this came out later we'd be able to see facial expressions that'd have made things more clear.

I may be misremembering later reveals, or simply misreading the situation, but I interpreted Baruk asking "Are you sure?" as them being in cahoots about warmongering.

quote:

Also the one guy with the super-tall hair in the banquet, I hope he somehow survives and shows up again.

Nope, r.i.p. Super Tall Hair Guy.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

For the last three battles, the mood has been somber. All of our main characters have lost their homelands and war is on the horizon if they can't stop it in time. So it's a bit of a sudden tone shift, to say the least, when the familiar shop music starts up again.

Video link

(The game never explains if Shop Lady is the same across all stores, or a series of inexplicably identical individuals a la Nurse Joy from Pokemon.)

Ralph: Huh? What am I doing here, of all places?
Store clerk (speaking in Ralph's accent): Welcome!
Ralph: Woah! You speak the sacred accent, lady?
Store clerk: Of course I do, it's basic business sense! After all people from all nations come to my store.
Ralph: Your accent sounds a little weird, though.
Store clerk: Ehehehehehe. I learned it from a correspondence school, so please excuse me if I've missed some of the finer points.
Ralph: Sure, so long as I get a discount!
Store clerk: What I'd like to say is, uh...I'll do my best to learn more. I'd love to give you a sale, but I've got all sorts of difficulties, so...
Ralph: What kinda difficulties ya talkin' about?!

(One spending spree later...)

Store clerk: Thanks for your patronage! Please come again!

Video link

???: Hahahahahahaha...HAHAHAHAHAHA... (breaks down coughing)
Leon: Th-that laughter!

T. T.: You lot sure have kept me waiting!
Leon: I knew it...
Fam: You actually lived through all of that? Do you have cockroach-like resilience or what?
T. T.: As sharp a tongue as ever. What you saw was a mere illusion!
Ralph: Where the heck were you, then?
T. T. (chuckles): Tightly holding onto a cliffside branch, of course!
Leon: ......
Fam: Even if you kidnap me now, there won't be anyone to pay a ransom!
T. T.: It's not about mere monetary gain at this point; it's against my aesthetic to let my prey get away.
Karen: Say--who is that?
Marcia: Don't look! You'll catch his stupid.
Karen: Okay.
T. T.: Hahahahahahaha! Go, my adorable minions!

Stage 6: The Challenger Returns

Link to full battle

(For whatever reason, there's a slight audio crackle in all of the recordings of this update. I've done everything I can to reduce it, but I don't recommend that you listen to the video at full volume.)

Midboss T. T. is back, though since he's designated the task of beating us up to his flunkies he's not a valid target, and we've just blazed through a random battle containing all of the minions before us now (except for the "commander" of this ragtag bunch of misfits: the stone golem, pretty much just a wood golem with slightly lower physical defenses but is resistant to fire, and can attack from ranged). I send Marcia (backed up by Leon) upward, and the rest of the party down the other path. (I also forget to equip my shopping spree gains for a few turns, but that's quickly fixed.)

The stone golem's stats (description: "A golem made of stones. Because magic is not very effective against it, defeat it with direct physical attacks").

Marcia picks up an armor upgrade that eventually goes on Leon.

The wolves pack a poison bite. Being poisoned (indicated as yellow bubbles emerging out of the character, who is in a pained pose) is a very minor annoyance (it's only a per turn loss of 10% max HP rounded up), so I don't bother healing it until the party joins up again many turns down the road.

While Marcia and Leon fight their way through the monsters in the upper path I bungle them into boss taunt range, but the game considers this battle such a non-threat that the music doesn't change.

T. T.: Can you overcome my ace in the hole? Go, stone golem!
Stone golem: Yo.

Karen picks up an armor upgrade for herself. Meanwhile, the rest of the party has surrounded the stone golem and taken him out of commission.

Video link

T. T.: Huh? Are stone golems that weak?
Fam: Bring it! I won't let you run away this time!
T. T.: Hmph! How are you going to catch me?

Fam: Who said anything about catching you?
T. T.: Erk! Well, then...try this!

T. T.: Hahahahahahaha! Can't tell which is the real deal now, can you?
(Everybody except Karen sweatdrops.)

Leon: He's not floating back up...
Marcia: Did he run away?
Fam: Must be long gone by now.
Ralph: Should we...get outta here as well?
Brian: Agreed.

Video link

Ralph: Since when did we get surrounded?!
Leon: ...that's--!
Baruk: We meet at last, you despicable assassin.
Fam: You're wrong! I didn't kill anyone!
Baruk: I have no interest in listening to your lies. Die!
Brian: It's no use...everyone, stick together!

No, I didn't mistranslate that. Apparently the game doesn't consider all those soldiers I cut down while fleeing the palace as "kills" or "anyone".

Stage 7: The Black Wind

Link to full battle

Description: "Baruk, called 'the Wind God', is the dark-skinned Dark Elf strategist of the Turuk army. Extremely treacherous.

This battle is pretty much an upgraded version of the T. T. battle, with more enemies (including a group that is in range to attack at the very beginning if you don't move). Both me and the AI spend a lot of turns sandbagging, but eventually my combat power overcome theirs.

On the lower path is a spear upgrade for Brian.

And on the upper path is the currently best available warrior armor.

Baruk (who taunts us with: "Very well, since you continue to resist, then you leave me no choice but to take matters into my own hands!") is a pain in the butt to face, as he has a ranged AOE attack that not only hurts like heck, it also paralyzes, leaving affected units unable to move or act until the status wears off or is cured. Fortunately, the battle ends as soon as anybody lands a physical blow on him.

Video link

Ophelia: What're you doing in this forest, dark elf?
Baruk: Huh? Is that...a high elf!?
Ophelia: Remove yourself from this forest at once, dark elf! :frogout:
Baruk: Very well, I've wasted enough time here...listen well, you assassins! The next time you meet, it will be your doom!
(Baruk teleports out)

Fam: Thank you for your help in this time of dire need.
Ophelia: The high elves and dark elves have been at each other's throats for ages, so don't worry your pretty little head about it, Fammie.
Leon: "Fammie"?!
Fam: Sorry, but...do I know you?
Ophelia: I was great friends with your father, so I know a bit about when you were little.
Fam: I see. But, father has...
Ophelia: Yes, I already know what happened. It must have been very hard on you.
Ophelia: I believe Kaiser has already declared war on the entire human race.
Fam: It's all my fault...
Leon: But it was just a huge misunderstanding!
Ralph: Yeah. All of us here can vouch for you!
Fam: But...
Ophelia: What's past is past, don't you agree, Princess Fam? What you should be thinking about now is what to do next.
Fam: ...[alright,] let's go to Youku.
Ophelia: Really?
Fam: Yes. We must let the people of Youku know about the impending crisis.
Ophelia: Very well. But it's extremely difficult to cross the steep Urukanos mountains.
Fam: I've already made up my mind.
Ophelia: I thought you'd say that...alright, allow me to be your guide.
Fam: Would you?
Ophelia: You're the daughter of my old pal; of course I'm going to help!
Fam: Oh...thank you so much!
Ophelia: Now that we've decided, let's get going! It'd be awful if the reinforcements caught up to us!

• In the original dialogue Ophelia starts out by using the "-chan" honorific to address Fam, a term of endearment only appropriate for young children that belong to the same peer group as the person speaking, which is why Leon reacted with such shock that a stranger would address Fam so casually (and, in this context, it would come off as highly patronizing, which is why I translated Ophelia's dialogue the way I did).
  • I couldn't quite tell what the mountain range was called in the original dialogue, so I just went with transliterating the Chinese transliteration.

Video link

T. T.: You lot sure have kept me waiting.
Leon: Is it just me, or is he a little different this time?
Ralph (addressing T. T.): Did you get food poisoning or something?
T. T.: I've been thinking.
Marcia: About what?
T. T.: My life has been an accumulation of many brilliant victories.
Brian: Is that so?
T. T.: But you've left a blemish on this glorious history.
Leon: Make that two.
T. T.: You've left me no choice but to defeat you, here and now!
Fam: But then, you'll just run away again [if you lose]?
T. T.: Since you've gone to the effort of chasing me this far, I won't flee any more, but dedicate everything to defeating you!
Leon: He really does look pretty serious.
Ophelia: .....
Brian: Let's just deal with him so we can get on our way.
Fam: Agreed.

Stage 8: Manly Aspirations

Link to full battle

Midboss T. T. is finally playing for keeps...but honestly, it's not that much tougher than the last . And since the enemies on the frozen river will approach so long as I stick close to the shore, I keep the party moving more or less as one group as I advance and collect stuff.

Having Ophelia (element: water) in the party isn't a massive game changer, though of course the extra action economy is always welcome. Her ranged damage is good for whittling down or finishing off enemies from a distance, she can heal most status ailments, and she can freeze enemies.

The green palette devils can cause sleep (indicated by the character hunched over and with "zzz" hanging over their head), which immobilizes a unit until it wears off or is cured by magic (or a whack upside the head).

At level 8, Karen learns Flash (oddly, the Chinese translation uses the term "remembers"). It is single-target only (her default fire spell will eventually gain larger areas of affect as her levels go up) and doesn't do as much damage, but it has a chance of causing paralysis.

Freeze is the ice equivalent of paralysis, just with a different graphic and a different item needed to cure it.

At level 10, Marcia learns Mute, which is great for shutting down healers and casters.

One of the on-field treasures (armor that only Leon, Brian, Marcia, Fam, and Ophelia can wear) is hidden between a tree and a rock (though you can barely see the sparkle).

The other treasure is a better bow for Ophelia.

As far as I can tell, status ailments don't stack (here, I first mute, and then paralyze, a fairy, but when I check her status it only lists her as being paralyzed).

When I finally get around to attacking T. T. ("Here I go! I'll show you what it's like when I go all out!"), he goes down in one hit.

T. T.: Gack! How...could this happen...!

Video link

T. T.: I must admit...this is my loss.
Ralph: How are we supposed to deal with a situation like this?
Brian: Usually, someone who dares to threaten the royal family would be given the harshest sentence possible.
Leon: Death by hanging, huh?
T. T.: (gasps)
Fam: But since there's nobody around to execute such a judgment now...I'd like to hear what everyone thinks.
Leon: I don't think we need to kill him, either...
Brian: But we can't be certain that he won't be a threat to us in the future...
T. T.: I have no intention of harm. I must admit, while I did want the ransom money at first, but in this last battle all I wanted to do was get one over on you. Now that I've been completely defeated, it feels like a burden's been lifted off my shoulders.
Marcia: What should we do...
Karen: (I don't get it.)
Ophelia: You haven't changed at all, have you? Just as stupid as ever.
T. T.: Eh...?
Ophelia: Oh, dear...you've completely forgotten who I am, haven't you?
T. T.: You're...? That's right, you must be...
Ophelia: Have you remembered?
T. T.: Nope, haven't the slightest idea.
Ophelia: I'm Ophelia, you dolt!
(Ophelia punches T. T., and the music changes to the upbeat shop tune.)
Leon (whispering): Did those two used to date one another?
Ralph: Sure sounds like it.
Fam: I wonder.
Ophelia: You've got it all wrong! We worked together, that's all!
Leon (whispering): Really?
Ralph (whispering): Ya sure?
Fam: I wonder.
T. T.: Ah, so that's it...you took a shine to me, but I didn't notice. Forgive me. And I must give thanks to these peasants.
Ophelia: You're the peasant, you stupid...peasant!
(Ophelia punches T. T. again.)
Ophelia: I shouldn't be surprised that he forgot. It's rare for someone to ask me to guide them over the mountains, and he happened to be a bodyguard on one of those trips.
T. T.: You couldn't be more wrong. I've been thinking about you every day since we last saw each other.
Ophelia: Didn't you have no idea who I was? Stop being such a shameless flirt!
(Ophelia punches T.T. so hard that he dies. Seriously. There's little circling angels around his head and everything.)

Ophelia (turning away): Honestly! I can't believe you!
Leon: Uh...Miss Ophelia?
Ophelia: What!
Ralph: Isn't this...a bad sign?
(Ophelia turns back around and sees her handiwork.)
Ophelia: Uh oh, how did this happen?
(Fam uses her magic to bring T. T. back to life. He is so lucky this is a cutscene--she isn't high enough level to actually have Revive in her spell list.)
T. T.: Wh-what happened to me?
Ophelia (putting on the biggest fake smile ever): Oh, uh, you fainted all of a sudden, and Princess Fam saved you.
(Everyone other than Ophelia and T. T. sweatdrops.)
T. T.: I...I see...
(T. T. walks over to Fam.)
T. T.: I can't believe that Your Highness would be willing to save someone who once sought to harm you. You are too kind.
Fam: Uh...well...I...
T. T.: From now on, I'm a new man. Would you allow me to join you?
Fam: Uh....what should I do now?
Ophelia: Now that he's mentioned it...his abilities aren't too bad, if you don't mind that he's a bit of an idiot.
Leon: Why not? I just can't bring myself to hate this guy for whatever reason.
Ralph: Leon's got it spot on. I don't mind, either.
Brian: At a time like this, it's to our advantage to get more firepower.
Marcia: Everybody's just a big softie, aren't we! It's decided!
Karen: (...I still don't get it.)
Ophelia: Looks like it's unanimous.
T. T.: You have my eternal gratitude, Your Highness! I, T. T., swear that I will be loyal to you for the rest of my life!
Ophelia: ...don't count on it.

Next time: Trying out T. T.

Ophelia: A high elf archer who joins the party to escort them through the Urukanos mountains. Also skilled with water/ice magic.

dotchan fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Mar 18, 2021

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So was this on windows 98 or something? The stat windows are in that sorta style.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

Pharohman777 posted:

So was this on windows 98 or something? The stat windows are in that sorta style.

Windows 95, and it remains playable on Windows 10, though I am playing it on Virtualbox with Windows XP as the OS so I can record videos and take screenshots, as I would get a black screen otherwise.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

This kid's alright.

By the way, somehow totally missed the fact you have videos for battles, gonna take a look at'em now.

e: and also videos for cutscenes... I don't know why I didn't notice them before

Zanzibar Ham fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Feb 19, 2019

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I finally found a fan page discussing the entire Farland franchise; would you guys like me to translate and sum up the information in there, or would you like to just browse for yourself (and maybe use Google)?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

dotchan posted:

I finally found a fan page discussing the entire Farland franchise; would you guys like me to translate and sum up the information in there, or would you like to just browse for yourself (and maybe use Google)?

Gonna guess it's got lots of spoilers, so if I decide to give it a try I'll probably check it out near the end of the game. If you have it in you to translate it as well that'd be awesome, but no need to force yourself!

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

dotchan posted:

• I couldn't quite tell what the mountain range was called in the original dialogue, so I just went with transliterating the Chinese transliteration.

The mountains are Urukanus(u), so not far off at all.

I'm looking at this person's videos, for reference (we're currently in the middle of #9)
https://www.nicovideo.jp/search/%E3...?sort=f&order=a

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Gonna guess it's got lots of spoilers, so if I decide to give it a try I'll probably check it out near the end of the game. If you have it in you to translate it as well that'd be awesome, but no need to force yourself!

It's just a few screenshots along with the words, but, yeah, those are certainly things that haven't happened yet.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

Video link

Leon: It feels so much better to be at sea level.
Ophelia: It's been quite the climb, hasn't it? We've just passed the peak and Youku's [main] castle is in sight.
Ralph: Does this mean we have to say goodbye, Miss Ophelia?
Ophelia: Perhaps...but I am worried about something, so if you don't mind, I'd like to keep accompanying you.
Fam: You took the words right out of my mouth.
???: You people will never reach Youku.

Gant: I will use your blood to pay for the sin of killing our alliance leader Lord Avi!
Fam: Is there no hope for negotiations?
Brian: To them, we're just despicable assassins. Before things get cleared up, we have no other choice [except to defend ourselves].
Leon: Then we fight, I guess.
Marcia: That's "Great Earth Gant", one of Kaiser's elites. He's not someone we can overcome easily!
Ophelia: How do you know who'd win? We haven't even fought yet. Besides, it's not like he'd let us run away.
T. T. (thinking): Isn't it too soon [for a fight]?

Off the top of my head I don't remember what rank Avi actually had in Turuk, but Gant uses the "-sama" honorific to refer to Avi, which is pretty much the most respectful way you could address anybody, so I figured using "Lord" would work fine in conveying that tone.

Stage 9: [A] Strong Foe

Link to full battle

While far from useless, Midboss T. T. (element: earth) is kind of redundant: he can heal, but so can Fam and Marcia; though he can also buff physical defense, I've rarely used it as anything except to grind EXP for T. T.; though he can poison, as mentioned before that a borderline useless status ailment to give to someone (except maybe to distract a fairy, but I can shut them down with Mute or Paralyze if I'm not going to kill them); and given that he's the second wizard I picked up, I'm not going to think favorably of him even if he's on par with Karen in terms of damage; as if to acknowledge that he'd be better if he gained a few levels, the game even gives T. T. a spell that seems to be specifically geared to giving him a bunch of experience: "Command", which has a high chance of making everybody standing in the area of effect of the spell face in the same direction as him (and while facing does have a very minor difference in damage taken, it's not a big enough one that I've ever used this spell offensively).

Because I was more interested in feeding actual kills to the rest of the party, I completely forgot to use one of T. T.'s spells: "Vulture", which summons the vulture he used to run away back in the post Stage 2 cutscene to drop a rock on an enemy. It does more damage and has more range than "Stone Spike", but it's single target only and Stone Spike eventually gains more area affect, so I just loaded up a save and grabbed a quick screenshot of what the vulture looks like.

The on-screen treasure on the left side of the map is a ring that boosts defense and wind elemental by a bit. That goes on Marcia as soon as possible.

The one in the middle of the map is an item that restores HP and cures the frozen status.

(Called "Great Earth Gant", he exterminates his enemies with his massive wrist strength and seemingly endless stamina, as if he is immortal.)

Gant: How dare you murder Lord Avi! Up until this point you've always looked down on us 'monsters', but this time you actually had the gall to stab us in the back after welcoming us with smiles!
Leon: Please listen to us! We really didn't kill Sir Avi!
Gant: Shut the hell up! Even so, he was still murdered by humans, and therefore I will not stop until I've eliminated all humans, just as I did those humans in the castle!
Fam: No, it can't be...you...
Gant: That's right, I was the one who killed that nation's king!
Brian: No...
Fam: You...you...!
Gant: Hahahaha! Don't worry, you'll be joining him soon!

What Fam actually said was "Urasanai...urusanai!", the polite person's version of the worst invective's imaginable. Because if an offense is not forgivable, then that implies that the only recourse is a battle to the death.

While Gant (element earth) hits like a truck, all of the frontline units can survive a single hit from him, he can only target one of them at a time, and I've got two healers in range (Marcia having been sent off on expedition).

Gant: I was too careless...I thought that Baruk's defeat was an exaggeration.
Fam: Did we win?
Marcia: No way! This isn't anywhere close enough to defeating him!
Ralph: What?!
Gant: Ehehehe--*roars*
Leon: W-what now!?
Gant: I'm not so easily taken down by the likes of you!
Ophelia: You--you beast!
Marcia: Let's get out of here before he recovers his strength!
Brian: Everyone! Hurry into Youku castle!

Ophelia called Gant a "bakemono", which would more properly translate into "monster", but since I've already translated "mazoku" as monster, I decided to go for a different word.

Video link

Gant: You little pests...do you really think you can get away from me just by escaping into Youku?
(Baruk teleports into the scene.)
Gant: Oh, it's you. Why are you here? To make fun of me?
Baruk: Nevermind those people for now.
Gant: What?
Baruk: Go ahead and let them flee to Youku. It's to our advantage that way.
Gant: Hmph...so our tactician has come up with some sort of strategy, has he? Very well. It was my own fault that I underestimated those people. I will follow your orders.

Video link

Store clerk: Welcome! Oh, what an cutie we have for todays' customer!
Karen: Big sis said they wanted to talk about something and sent me out to play...
Store clerk: Did they? Well, then, let me take you shopping!
Karen: Really? Yaaay! You're the best!
Store clerk (thinking): I'll send the bill afterwards.

(You know how this goes by now.)

Store clerk: Did you have fun?
Karen: Uh huh!
Store clerk: Then be sure to come play with me again sometime!
Karen: Okay!
Store clerk: Thanks for your patronage!

Video link

King of Youku: It must have been quite the journey for you, Princess of Barth.
Fam: I realize that it is quite rude of me to appear without prior notice, but given the circumstances I had no choice but to do so. Please forgive me.
King of Youku: And these circumstances that you refer to must be...?
Fam: Allow me to elaborate--Kaiser has declared war on all mankind. I have come to ask for help to stop this war.
King of Youku: I see. I understand Your Highness' concerns, but there's no need to worry. Kaiser is nothing before our military might!
Fam: Huh?
King of Youku: You came because you thought our kingdom would also be easily overrun? Relax! We'll take down all of the monsters at once, seize Barth back from them and return the kingdom to you.
Fam: That's not it! My intent is to reconcile the misunderstanding, avoiding needless battles...
King of Youku: Ah, you must be referring to having been framed?
Fam: I believe Sir Helios should be here. If he is willing to clear things up, it might be possible to prevent further tragedy.
King of Youku: Given that they've gone so far as destroying your kingdom, Highness, we as your ally would never let this insult pass unanswered even if the misunderstanding were to be cleared up.
Fam: Th--that's...
Brian: Your Majesty! Though the monsters be few in number, their magical power is far greater than we've imagined. If you go to war with them, you'll incur great fatalities on both sides!
King of Youku: Unlike Barth, we have more than enough military might to face the monsters. Just relax and watch from the sidelines.
Fam: Your Majesty, please reconsider! If you go to war now, it's very possible that things will spiral out of control...
King of Youku: Men!
(A soldier arrives on the scene.)
King of Youku: Her Highness must be very tired after this long trip. Escort her to the guest room.
Fam: But, Your Majesty!
King of Youku: Feel free to take a long rest, Your Highness.

Video link

Ophelia: Karen, it's dangerous [up there]! Hurry up and get down!
Karen: But I'm bored!
Ophelia: Listen to me! Look at how rude you're being?
Ralph: I don't get what the heck that old fart's up to.
Brian: Isn't it obvious? They want to take this chance to seize Barth for themselves!
Ophelia: What a sly fellow, that king, pretending to be taking vengeance on Barth as her ally, but in reality...
Brian: And then, he'll station soldiers at Barth in the name of protecting a nation without an army, so even if Fam was crowned queen, all of the actual power would be in the hands of Youku.
Ralph: Wh-what the hell! It's because of scumbags like him that nobles are so corrupt!
(Beat.)
Ralph: Ah...! B-but not Barth royalty...
Fam: Forgive me! I got everyone tangled up in this mess...
Leon: It wasn't your fault! It's not like you had a better plan.
Marcia: Is there no good way of escaping from here?
Ophelia: Hey, T. T.!
T. T.: What?
Ophelia: If I remember correctly, you're an expert lockpicker?
T. T.: Oh!
Ophelia: Can you open this lock?
T. T.: All too easy!
(Beat.)
Ophelia: Well, what are you standing around for? Hurry up and do it!
(She hits him.)
T. T.: That hurts!
Ophelia: This isn't the time to stand around reading books!
T. T.: But there really are some nice books here!
Ophelia: Oy! Nobody cares about your opinion right now!
T. T.: Calm down! We're currently surrounded by soldiers. Even if we escaped, we'd get captured immediately. We have to calmly wait for the right chance.
Ophelia: You weirdo, being this calm at a time like this...fine, I'll do as you suggest.
(Time passes.)
Leon: It's already been three days and we're still here.
Marcia: I'm so bored!
Ralph: Me too! And I stink [something awful]!
Ophelia: I bet the only one who isn't bored is that idiot over there!
T. T.: Oh! This...hm hm!
Karen: Hey, hey! What's that over there?
Ophelia: Karen, you've climbed up there again...
Karen: There's a bunch of people and monsters with weapons coming this way!
Ralph: What did you say!?

King of Youku: ...so they're finally here, are they? Excellent! Time for our trump card. And bring me Helios as a hostage, hurry!
(The soldiers leave.)
King of Youku: What kind of treasures will that person bring me, I wonder? I'll be sure to take a close look.
(Dramatic pause.)
King of Youku (looking smug as gently caress): And now, all of the land in Endorichy will be mine...ha ha ha...BWAHAHAHAHAHA...!

(All of the following happens on a black screen.)
Light infantry: There he is! Hurry up! Come on!
(There is the sound of something hitting flesh.)
Light infantry: Ack!!

(Back at the room where the party is.)
Ralph: Leon, can you see anything?
Leon: Sorry! It's hard to do that from here...
Brian: We don't need to see anything to know what's going on--the Turuk army must have started their attack. The king Youku's declaration that he intends to join in the war effort couldn't have been a more convenient excuse for Turuk to invade Youku.
Fam: No! Then what did we come all this way for?
Ophelia: No matter what, we can't meet this opportunity. Hey, T. T.
T. T.: Huh?
Ophelia: What do you mean "huh"? We have to get out of here, so hurry up and open the door.
T. T.: But...uh...
Ophelia: What! Spell it out already!
T. T.: Actually, I just checked out the door--it's designed so that it can only be opened from the outside.
Ophelia: T. T.! Why didn't you say something earlier!
T. T.: My bad...
Marcia: This is terrible. If we don't find a way out of here soon, this will let Kaiser's troops invade.
(Fade to black; there's the sound of a door opening, and after it fades back in, Helios is in the room.)
Fam: Oh, it's you...!
Marcia: Sir Helios!
Leon (thinking): Oh! So this is Helios...Turuk's...no, Enorichy's wisest sage!
Helios: Hurry up and get out of here. The king of Youku wants to destroy you all.
Fam: What? Why?
Helios: Though I am confined here, I have spies everywhere, so I know about your situation. My guess is that the king wants to use this chance to completely wipe out the Barth kingdom's bloodline.
Fam: How awful...
Helios: Soon, Kaiser will breach the walls of the castle. If you take the chance now, you should be able to escape from the rear gate.
Marcia: But what about you, Sir Helios?
Helios: It might be useless, but I'd like to try stopping Kaiser. I suspect that someone is manipulating this series of events from behind, and Youku is just a pawn on the current game board.
Ophelia: Who would that be?
Helios: I suspect that it's...
(There's a loud sound and bright flash.)
Ralph: Woah! What the heck was that light-and-noise show about?
Helios: No! It can't be that the king of Youku used "that"...?
Leon: Just what is going on here?
Helios: There's no time to wait. If they really used "that", then the Turuk army must have been dealt a huge blow.
Ophelia: No..."Terrorhook", the forbidden spell?
Helios: There's no time to explain in detail. What's more important is for you to get out of here as soon as you can.
Leon: But where can we go?
Helios: Go see the elder of the Urukanos. Then, you'll know the truth.
Ophelia: That old grampa...? Sure, I'll lead the way.
Helios: Stay safe.

Stage 10: Strategy and Rebellion

Link to full battle

Ralph: Oh, no! The invasion's already started!
Leon: Guess we have no choice but to fight!

Despite the plot claiming that Turuk and Youku troops are fighting one another, the game engine only allows for one enemy team, so even if I lure the Turuk troops over to the Youku troops, they won't fight one another (though accidental spear friendly fire is still possible)--the Turuk fairies will even heal damaged Youku units. Since I don't want to have to fight a battle on two fronts, I carefully weave my way down the stairs and take on the Turuk units first before engaging the Youku ones.

Marcia's sent on a quick trip to pick up the on-field treasure--it's the same as what she's wearing, but since she's the only one who has it and I'm spending all of my savings on weapons upgrades until the store runs out of them, I pass it on to Leon.

Marcia is also the first of our spellcasters to get an upgrade in her AOE. I'm not familiar enough with the engine to have any idea whether that happens after a set point in the plot, when somebody hits a particular level, or when their base stats get to a certain point.

(Description: A high level officer. As expected, his sword skill is without peer, but he can also use magic.)

Leon: That guy must be the commander!
Ralph: Excellent! Let's hurry up and get rid of him!

I give the last blow to Leon, who hits level 12 and learns "Strong Blow", an attack that hits up to 8 squares in a straight line (though it stops as soon as it encounters any square not on the same height).

Brian: Quickly! Let's get out of here!

Video link

King of Youku: Aren't you done yet? Why is it taking so long to mop up remnants as pathetic as these?
Light Infantry (from offscreen): Aaah!
King of Youku: Huh? What's going on over there?
(The two spearmen run offscreen.)
Light Infantry (from offscreen): Ack! Gack!

King of Youku: Y-you!?
Kaiser: I am Kaiser von Bazel. I presume you to be Herman the Third, King of Youku?
King of Youku: You're Kaiser? How are you still alive? Weren't you killed along with the Turuk army?
Kaiser: Thanks to you, our entire vanguard was wiped out. But don't worry, I'll make you pay for that loss.
King of Youku: W-wait a minute! Don't forget that Helios is still in our hands as a hostage!
Kaiser: Him? He's capable of getting out any time he wants. Give up!
King of Youku: WHAT!?

King of Youku: Despicable scum, you planned this from the start...gwah!

Helios (from offscreen): Kaiser!
(Helios walks into the scene.)
Kaiser: Are you really all right?
Helios: Kaiser...have you ever considered that it wasn't humans who murdered Lord Avi?
Kaiser: Perhaps.
Helios: Then...why? Wasn't maintaining a good relationship with humans our goal, in order to protect the status of monsters?
Kaiser: Are you suggesting that I destroyed a human kingdom in the heat of the moment, and then doubled down on that mistake with a second one?
Helios: ......
Kaiser: If we admit ourselves to be in the wrong, then we will be driven out of this island.
Helios: Kaiser...
Kaiser: There's no turning back.

(So remember how a couple updates ago I mentioned that I only transliterated "Turuk" because going with a cultural translation would be awkward as gently caress? Brace yourselves, folks, because we're about to get bludgeoned with a massive reveal.)

Video link

Leon: Huh? Isn't this the way out?
Ralph: There's a bunch of weird stuff stored here.
Leon: Woah!
Ralph: Wh--what is that!?
Ophelia: I see...this must be the secret to the forbidden spell.
Fam: Ophelia, what on earth is all this?
Ophelia: You must have heard even when back in Barth that the Youku kingdom often used monsters as slaves, haven't you? Additionally, there have always been rumors that he also used them in experiments.
T. T.: These must be the labs, then.
Ophelia: Here, hundreds of monsters were sacrificed in order to create the forbidden spell Terrorhook.
(There's a pause here as the game allows the player to process all that. Yes, the game writers really went there: fantasy racism escalated into fantasy genocide, using fantasy death camps to create a fantasy nuke. Our party might be fighting for their own survival in this mess, but in the eyes of the monsters, they are nothing more than the face of The Other.)
Ophelia: This must be why the monsters have gone mad [with grief]...

Evil Witch: Welcome to my laboratory. My, my...what rare guests we have here...so many wonderful materials for my next experiment. I couldn't have asked for better!
Marcia: What do you think you can do to us?
Evil Witch: Why, make you into a great big abomination, of course! It's such a pain to do it with regular monsters, I always need so many. But if it's just you two, that'll be more than enough!
Ophelia: Quite self-assured, aren't you! But if you try, you'll see that it's not that easy to cut us up.
Evil Witch: Hahahahahaha! Defiant to the end, I see. This is really getting interesting. Let me take good care of you!

Stage 11: The Forbidden Spell

Link to full battle

This battle is no big deal, though the orange jack-o-lanterns can cast AOE fire magic, so one does need to be a bit careful in positioning units.

Marcia picks up an item that completely restores HP and MP if used on a unit.

In the first go-round, I fed enough experience for Ralph to level up and learn "Lion Roar", his equivalent to Leon's "Strong Blow", but I promptly forgot to show it off. When I replayed the battle Ralph didn't get enough to level up in this battle.

Ralph also picks up an armor even better than the one I got in the last battle; however, since only Leon, Brian, Marcia, Fam, and Ophelia can wear it, Marcia gets it when she rejoins the party (in the replay, I gave it to Fam instead).

The hellhounds can breathe fire from up to four tiles away, and the flames hit all of those tiles.

(Description: Though she can also use a bow, what's really terrifying are her strong magic attacks.)

Evil Witch: How dare you kill my beloved pets! I'll show you! I'll turn you all into the ugliest creatures imaginable!

What Strong Beat looks like. This kills the enemy commander since she's just a squishy caster who can use a bow.

Evil Witch: How could this have...*death scream*
Leon: C'mon! Let's hurry on out of here!
Marcia: Shouldn't we destroy this equipment first?
Ophelia: The castle's about to collapse anyway. If we shuffle our feet, we won't be able to make our escape!

(Checking the battle again, it turns out I missed an on-field treasure in the far left corner: a really awesome bow for Ophelia. I'm not about to re-record just the entire battle for an item pickup, but I'm definitely overwriting my save file so I can go into the next battle with this.)

Stage 12: The Dragon's Mountain

Link to full battle

Leon: We're right back to where we started!
Ophelia: Far from it! This is much more dangerous compared to the road we just traversed; this is holy ground for the ancient dragons.
Ralph: Did you say d-dragons!?
Ophelia: Though wild dragons aren't sapient, they're very strong. Slip up even a little bit around them and they'll hurt you.

How dangerous the dragons are depends on how much the RNG hates you. All dragons have a ton of defense and magic resistance, the blue dragons have a 4-ish tile long freezing breath, and the silver dragon can paralyze.

One of the really nice things about all casters is that any of their spells that target more than one square distinguish between ally and enemy, so I never have to worry about magic-based friendly fire. (The downside of this is that this makes the game even more brainless, but eh.)

Managed to get Ralph back to the right level to start using his Kamehamema Hadoken Lion's Roar.

Marcia picks up a ring that boosts magic defense; since Ralph has the least, it goes on him.

And Ralph picks up a rod upgrade for Karen.

Because I gave Marcia the last hit on replay, she leveled up enough to learn "Encourage", a single-target spell that allows any unit that's already used up their movement and or action to move/act again. It's this game's equivalent to the Final Fantasy series' "Quick" spell and besides healing spells is pretty much the only support spell I am certain to cast in every battle from here on out.

Finally, Ophelia grabs the last treasure, a 2850 gold infusion that will immediately be spent in the next shopping spree.

Ralph: Finally got rid of them all.
Ophelia: And look! There's Drago's house right there!
Fam: Who?
Ophelia: That's the elder who we're about to visit. I haven't seen him in a long while. I hope he lives for a long time.
Leon: I see...

The sharp-eared among you will have noticed that a lot of times the Japanese will have someone repeat some or all of someone else's dialogue in the form of a question (Metal Gear?!?) but I pretty much haven't translated it literally because most adult English speakers don't talk like that.

Video link

Ophelia: Well, well! Since when did Drago open a store here?
Store clerk: Do you need something?
Ophelia: Yes...is Drago there?
Store clerk: Sorry, this store doesn't carry any products called "Drago".
Ophelia (thinking): Is this some sort of prank?
Store clerk: But we do have all of the weapons, armor, and medicine you could need.
Ophelia: Hm. Very well, it does make sense to buy some supplies for the long journey ahead.

(Upgrades time!)

Ophelia: Thanks! Please be sure to bill this to Drago!
Store clerk: Sorry, but I already told you, I don't know what a "Drago" is...
Ophelia: Fine, never mind then.
Store clerk: I'm very sorry. The next time you come to our store, we'll do our best to be in stock.
Ophelia: No thanks! I don't want any of that crinkly old codger!
Store clerk: Did you say something?
Ophelia: Just talking to myself. I don't have any other questions. Farewell!
Store clerk: Thanks for coming by!

Video link

Ophelia: Drago, are you there?

Ophelia: Drago?!
Drago: Q-quick...make your escape...this is a trap!
Leon (running in from outside): Miss Ophelia! There's trouble!
Ophelia: Why do you have your sword out? Did the enemy catch up to us?

Lucia: You humans sure kept me waiting! I am Fire Goddess Lucia.
Marcia: No! It can't be!
Lucia: Oh, it's you, Marcia.
Marcia: Stop! These are not the ones who killed Sir Avi!
Lucia: Marcia, that doesn't matter any more.
Marcia: Why?
Lucia: This whole mess with the king of Youku has finally made me realize that humans have no intention of coexisting peacefully with us 'monsters'.
Fam: That's not true! At least, the Barth kingdom was sincerely allied with you...
Lucia: Then why was Lord Avi murdered?
Fam: I...I...
Lucia: It is true that you have not abused my people as the King of Youku did with his horrific experiments...but you just stood on the sidelines, letting him do as he pleased and even taking pleasure in his actions, didn't you?
Leon: !
Lucia: Marcia, I'm willing to let you and that elf off the hook. You're free to go wherever you want; just stay out of my way.
Marcia: Lucia, please!
Lucia: Marcia, in the past I may have gone along with you on all matters, but this time I refuse to step aside!
Ophelia: Psh, little brat, talking big like she knows what she's saying.
Lucia: What did you say?
Ophelia: Things are this way precisely because of people like you who quibble about "humans" and "monsters"!
Lucia: Aren't you a "monster", too?
Ophelia: Doesn't matter. I protect these people because I like them; it's as simple as that, get it? Enough talk, come at me [if you dare]!
Lucia: Very well, it appears that we have nothing more to discuss. Go ahead and die along with the humans!

Stage 13: The Fire-Evoking Black Wings

Link to full battle

The archers can cast both damaging and healing magic in addition to peppering us with arrows, but the dragons remain the real threat.

At level 10, Fam learns a spell that boosts ally magic defense.

Marcia picks up one of the on-field treasures, an item that heals both health and magic.

Because Lucia can fly and has the same movement range as Marcia, it doesn't take all that long for us to trigger aggro from her.

Marcia: Stop it, Lucia! Wasn't it our dream to be able to leave peacefully with the humans?
Lucia: And the dream of the venerated Lord Avi as well. But that's all it is--a dream!
Marcia: Lucia, don't you remember what you said before when you first started working with Kaiser--"Now, we can chase that dream together"?
Lucia: Silence! Unlike you, I'm no longer a naïve little girl!
Ophelia (thinking): From where I'm sitting, you still look plenty immature...
Lucia: I won't let anyone get in my way! That includes you, Marcia!

Called "Fire Goddess Lucia", she uses her beautiful pitch black wings to freely roam the sky, sometimes using fire magic to attack.

While Lucia's fire attacks do hurt, I've got three healers on my side, treasures to pick up, and potential item drops to smack out of the piñatas enemies that hold them, so I just kite her around while I tidy up.

The second on-field treasure is the best (Leon, Brian, Marcia, Fam, and Ophelia only) armor that can be had; it promptly goes on Marcia.

The final on-field treasure is a ring that boosts defense and water elemental; it'll eventually go on Ophelia.

I let Marcia have the last hit again; she reaches level 16 and learns a spell that has a chance of adding Silence to everyone on the field, including allies. Given this downside, it's only worth casting if there's a bunch of enemy wizards and/or healers.

Marcia: Stop, Marcia! Why must we fight one another?
Lucia: You haven't changed at all, have you...hurry up and finish this!
Marcia: Everyone! Please, don't kill Lucia!
Ophelia: How could we possibly bring ourselves to murder Marcia's good friend?
Fam: I agree with Ophelia.
Leon: That's right! It's too cruel to make good friends be at each other's throats.
Ralph: And that's that, so get outta here!
Lucia: I can't believe a bunch of idealists could have survived so long. But I haven't given up on killing you! You'll regret letting me go!

Video link

Ophelia: Are you feeling better, Drago?
Drago: Much better! What a terrible brute, that woman, hurting a old man at death's door such as myself...
Ophelia: Old? Please, you might be a few years more advanced than me, but...
Karen: Hey! Who's this grampa?
Drago: Hehehe, you talking about me, you adorable little girl?
Karen: Uh-huh!
Drago: Why don't you take a guess?
(Everyone sweatdrops.)
Leon (thinking): Who is this guy, anyway?
Ophelia: Still playing games at your age, huh...don't look down on Drago just because he looks like this, he's a Great Dragon who's lived for over a thousand years!
Ralph: Wh-wh-wh-whaaaaat?
Leon: No way! He totally just looks like some guy you'd pass on the street!
Drago: Heheheh! It's easier for me to keep this form, [especially since] I've already forgotten how to change back!
Marcia: Then you must be quite knowledgeable about magic!
Drago: Of course! But I musn't abuse it frivolously, or I'll face [divine] retribution.
Ophelia: Stop bragging! You don't even know any common spells.
Drago: Oh, shush!
Ophelia: Still, you aren't old to the point of senility, though with that blow to the head, maybe you've forgotten all the knowledge you've accumulated!
Drago: What are you talking about? Besides, it's all your fault that I was even attacked in the first place!
Ophelia: Oh, please! I was just teasing. Actually, the reason we visited was to ask you something.
Drago: Go ahead.
Ophelia: The forbidden spell Terrorhook.
Drago: Who used it?
Ophelia: The King of Youku, and he paid for his careless spell-slinging with his life. But who gave him the user's manual?
Drago: The reason it's called a forbidden spell is not only because it only targets monsters, but the more important issue is where all that energy goes after the monsters have been destroyed.
Ophelia: Please, do go on.
Drago: It's a spell to call demons back to this world. They are even darker than us monsters, and have an even more terrible power.
Marcia: How could that be! Why would anyone want to do such a thing?
Drago: The goal being to turn the world into [eternal] night. Legend has it that there had been several similar crises, but because men and monsters cooperated and fought together against disaster.
Ophelia: Oh, yeah! I heard about it, but I thought it was all just made up.
Drago: It's all true. You should know about the legend of Ark. Ralph's elders have had the legend of the Knights of Luceid for generations. These are the heroes of various ages who have risen up to stop the invasion of the demon realm.
Ophelia: That's been so long ago there probably isn't anyone capable of inheriting the title of Luceid.
Drago: Perhaps, perhaps not, who knows?
Leon: What are you two talking about?
Ralph: Sounds like really ancient myths and stuff.
Ophelia: Alright, stop posturing and tell me, who taught the king of Youku the forbidden spell?
Drago: From what I know, the only person who could use the forbidden spell is...
Ophelia: Who? Tell me their name already!
Drago: ...a former student named Baruk.
(Ominous thunder crackles.)

• The Chinese localization derped hard on this cutscene. I had to cross-reference the Japanese version to make sure I was rendering the dialogue properly.
  • Outside of this tidbit, some themes, along with item and creature names, Farland Saga 1 doesn't really have a direct connection to the other Farland games, so I'm going to save the discussion about the entire franchise after I've finished going through Farland Saga 2.

Kaiser: How is the plan you proposed going along?
Baruk: Everything's going smoothly. The last step is just waiting for you, Lord Kaiser, to make your debut.
Kaiser: Is it? When should I be starting out?
Baruk: Whenever you like.
(Beat.)
Kaiser: ...up to this point, I've acted in complete accordance to your advice and you have not betrayed me...but have your suggestions really been helpful to the monsters?
Karuk: I would never do anything that is not beneficial to the monsters.
(Crackle of dramatic thunder.)
Kaiser: I'm going to depart from here first thing tomorrow morning. Make your preparations!
Baruk: I will...by the way, have you heard any news from Lord Helios?
Kaiser: I have not, but I also have no doubt that he would disagree with our methods. Therefore immediately order my elites to stop anyone who might want to draw near the ruins.
Baruk: Very well, but I have yet heard from Sir Welner.
Kaiser: Oh, him? I gave him another task. Communicating with him can wait until after he has completed his mission.
Baruk: I will.

(Back to our heroes.)
Drago: Baruk doesn't just hate the humans, but the monsters as well.
Marcia: Why!?
Drago: Ophelia, you should know, right?
Ophelia: Indeed I do! They've been discriminated against by the monsters, but because they're so incredily treacherous and terrifying, aren't they?
Drago: Perhaps...but in the end, what we monsters did was no different from what the humans have done.
Ophelia: Then what are we supposed to do?
Drago: I heard that long ago, there lay a sealed gateway to the demonic realm deepin Turuk territory. I believe they are planning is use that.
Fam: They're planning to open that gate?
Drago: I'd be willing to bet.
Leon: What'll happen if they open that gate?
Drago: I'm afraid that the world would be covered in darkness, and both humans and monsters face extinction.
(Beat.)
Marcia: We mustn't let them succeed!
Ralph: That's right! If they succeed, the world will fall into chaos!
Ophelia: Then we must stop them. But the enemy is strong!
(Heroic music begins to swell.)
Fam: We have to try for the sake of the people on this island.
Ralph: Me too! I wanna join in!
Brian: The duty of a knight is to serve his king[, after all].
Leon: I don't know how much I can help, but I'd like to lend a lend a hand.
Marcia: I want to save Lucia!
T. T.: I'd rather take things easy, but the women of the world are waiting for me to do my part!
Karen: .....I wanna help, too!
Ophelia: That settles it. Let's go to Turuk.
Drago: Do as you like. I'm staying right here.
Ophelia: Go right ahead, and feel free to recover at my hot springs.
Leon: Miss Ophelia, I didn't know that you had hot springs!
Ophelia: Yeah, being a guide is just my side job, running a hot springs is my actual job. Actually, it's not that far from here. Why don't we have a soak before we head out?

Baruk refers to Welner with the honorific "-dono", which is how a Japanese samurai would address their feudal Lord. Since I have no idea of Turuk's actual hierarchy, and "Lord" already got assigned to "-sama", I just went with "Sir" to imply that there is some sort of rank difference going on.

Next time: More mood whiplash!

Gant: One of Kaiser's elite commanders. Your stereotypical bloodthirsty barbarian type who sees all humans as puny and weak.
Herman III: The king of Youku, totally trustworthy and not at all suspicious an all-around scumbag who allows the enslavement and abuse of monsters and was planning to take over Barth for himself before Kaiser put a permanent end to his ambitions.
Helios: A mazoku renowned for his wisdom; was kept in Youku as a hostage until the king tried to put him in the direct line of fire.
Drago: An extremely old dragon who has locked himself in human form. Though he claims to have forgotten how to change back, he is well versed in ancient lore and magic. Baruk's magic tutor.
Lucia: One of Kaiser's elite commanders. Used to be Marcia's close friend until Avi's murder caused them to fall out with one another.

dotchan fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Mar 18, 2021

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Alright, so the scene with Kaiser and Helios suggests to me that my suspicions were correct and Kaiser is/was also being fooled by Baruk.

Also upcoming hot springs episode, yaaaay.... :sigh:

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

Video link

Fam: It's warmer than I thought over here!
Ophelia: It's only in this area; I've heard that it's full of fire spirits. We've got more mountain to climb, so let's take a break over here!
Ralph: What? There's more climbing?
Fam: At your limit?
Ralph: That's because Miss Ophelia said we don't have much further to go!
Fam: Even I've been keeping pace without complaints, so what're you grumbling for? You're a guy, aren't you?
Ralph: Be quiet! I don't wanna be lectured by a tomboy like you!
Fam: What did you say?!?
Ophelia: Alright, knock it off, you two lovebirds!
Fam and Ralph (at the same time): We're not a couple!
(Beat)
Ralph: By the way, where'd Leon go?
T. T.: He said he wanted a drink of water, so he went to the lake.
Brian: Tsk, running off by himself? How dangerous!
Ophelia:There aren't any dangerous creatures nearby. He should be fine.

Leon: Men and monsters, huh...

Leon: Who are you? Have you always been here?
Lee-Ann: ......
Leon: Are you by yourself? Where are you parents? Who do you live with?
Lee-Ann: My father and mother...have all passed away...
Leon: Are they? Me, too...
(Beat.)
Leon: Hey, if you don't mind, would you like to come with us?
Lee-Ann: Why?
Leon: Oh, don't get me wrong! I was just thinking, how dangerous it is for a girl to be in a place like this by herself, and I've got a lot of friends coming along with me, so...
Lee-Ann: ......ok!
Leon: (thinking) Hey, she smiled! (out loud) What's your name?

Lee-Ann: ...Lee-Ann.

Marcia: Hey, Leon!
Leon: What?
Marcia: Where'd you pick up such a cute girl like her, huh?
Leon: "P-p-pick up"? What are you talking about?
Ralph: Leon, you hypocrite! For all of your criticisms of my faults, you're the one who made the first move! I totally misjudged you!
Leon: I didn't pick anybody up! I thought she might be dangerous if she were by herself, so I invited her to come along...
T. T.: That's exactly what society calls "picking up"...
Brian: I used to be worried that even at 18, Leon wouldn't even dare talk to a woman. Now I can relax.
Ophelia: That's puberty for you! Isn't it so nice to be young?
Leon: It's not like that. Lee-Ann, help me out here!
Fam: What's the matter? You don't have to mind us.
(Fam approaches. Lee-Ann whirls around.)
Lee-Ann: Don't touch me!!
Fam: ...huh?
(Lee-Ann runs behind Leon.)
Leon (turning to look at Lee-Ann): Lee-Ann?
Ralph: [Fam,] look at how troublesome you are.
Fam: Oh, be quiet!
Ophelia: All right, all right! Little Miss Lee-Ann must still be nervous. By the way...
Leon: Woah! That's a lot of monsters!
Ophelia: What a pain! A little slip of the attention and things end up this way.
Marcia: Is it just me, or does it reek over here?
Ralph: Yeah, it smells like alcohol.
Fam: Where would monsters get alcohol from? Miss Ophelia? Miss Ophelia?
(Beat. There is a deep rumble, as if a muffled explosion went off.)
Ophelia: Those...those bastards stole the wine I've been saving up...
Brian: Miss Ophelia, are you all right?
(Beat)
Ophelia: I am going to KILL THEM ALL.
Leon: Oh! She's mad...
T. T.: My, my...she's a completely different person when it comes to alcohol. She hasn't changed at all.
Ralph: Going to make a literal killing before we have a soak, eh?
Leon: Lee-Ann! This is very dangerous. Stay behind me!
Lee-Ann: ...ok!

Stage 14: Journey to the Hot Springs

Link to full battle

Though we've picked up another party member, for the next two battles Lee-Ann (element: light) is functionally just a protectorate: she has no spells and she can only attack for 1 HP at a time. Fortunately, since I can control her movement I could have simply left her at the starting point and she'd never be targeted, but I wanted to give her a bit of experience.

Leon picks up a dagger upgrade for Lee-Ann. I could have just sold it since it doesn't change her situation and I visit a shop later, but since it took me a while to remember that Lee-Ann's useless until two battles from now I do the usual equipment shuffle.

While I have everyone else clean up, Marcia goes to get the treasure trove at the top of the map. First is a 1650 gold infusion.

Second is the best heavy armor available.

Third is 1730 gold.

As soon as all the treasure is taken, I finish off the last stragglers.

Ophelia: Good work, everyone! Please keep your eyes out for any unopened containers nearby.
T. T.: Such is the face of someone who's stubborn about their alcohol.
Leon: ......
Ophelia: Now I'll show you the way to my hot springs!

(Incoming blatant fan service.)

Video link

Ophelia: Hey! What are you doing here? Hurry up and have a soak!
Leon: Well, I'm about to...
Lee-Ann: I...think I'll pass...
Leon: Oh! Lee-Ann!
Ophelia: Looks like it'll be a while before we can get along without reservation!
Leon: Yeah...
(Beat)
Leon (thinking): Why would I be so concerned about her?
Ophelia: That's a little thing called "falling in love".
Leon: Woah! Don't suddenly say stuff like that!
Ophelia: Did I hit it on the dot?
Leon: That's not it at all! I just...feel like I shouldn't leave her to her own devices.
Ophelia: So she's more like a little sister to you?
Leon: Perhaps! If I did have a little sister, then maybe it be like this.
Ophelia: Don't worry about it. Girls this age are hard to understand; it's better to let her be.
Leon: Were you like this when you were young, Miss Ophelia?
Ophelia: Oh, please don't remind me of such unpleasant memories! If you don't hurry up, you'll miss dinner!
Leon: Sorry!

(Later, Lee-Ann steps into the water, thinking herself to be alone, only to find Ophelia waiting for her.)

Lee-Ann: You're really not going to force me to answer anything?
Ophelia: Why would you think we would?
Lee-Ann: Anyone would be suspicious of a girl alone in the deep mountains. Besides, I might be an enemy.
(Beat)
Ophelia: You're right...so why do we [still] act this way?
Lee-Ann: Why? Why would you believe anyone so easily, especially in a time like this?
Ophelia: You've got it all wrong! We have to trust those who fight alongside us, otherwise, the mood will get really awkward.
Ophelia: Everyone can tell that you [keep to yourself] for a reason, so nobody will ask you anything. That's the kind of people we are. So unless you do so willingly, you don't have to say a word!
(Beat)
Lee-Ann: Miss Ophelia...I...
(Ophelia turns red as she overheats and sinks into the water.)
Lee-Ann: Miss Ophelia?

Ophelia: Sorry, Lee-Ann!
Lee-Ann: It's okay!
(Beat)
Lee-Ann: Miss Ophelia...were you waiting for me the whole time?
Ophelia: Well, I happen to like long baths...
(Beat)
Ophelia: Hey, Lee-Ann...
Lee-Ann: What?
Ophelia: Leon, Ralph...and the others...they're all good people?
Ophelia: (falls asleep)
Lee-Ann: What...what should I do? Father...

Video link

Ophelia: If you keep going from here, you'll reach a harbor city called Essen. But...
Ralph: Woah! There's a bunch of enemy troops waiting for us!
Ophelia: Oh, man! Isn't that the muscle daruma?
Leon: Who?
Marcia: You must mean Gant!
Ophelia: I think it's better if we went around a different way!
T. T.: Before we do that, I think we'd better defeat the enemy coming up from behind.
Brian: If the enemy troops discover us, we'll be facing a pincer attack. We'd better take care of this as quickly as possible.

A daruma (relevant Wikipedia article here) is a self-righting children's toy.

Stage 15: To the Sea....

Link to full battle

At level 14, Brian learns "Sacrifice", a spell that kills him in exchange for reviving all other dead allies. (In the next couple of battles I mostly use it to keep Fam alive, but theoretically, it can be used for any downed units.)

More awesome armor for the party. Now my stinginess in only buying weapons upgrades seems tactically brilliant.

T. T. learns a spell that attacks up to eight tiles in a straight line, ignoring height.

On the bottom corner of the map is a ring that boosts intelligence and light magic. I give it to Fam.

At the top of the map is a weapon upgrade for Marcia.

Video link

Ophelia: Phew! We managed to not attract the attention of the enemy. Let's hurry on our way!
???: Too bad!

Gant: We set up such a trap for you...you thought we wouldn't notice?
Ophelia: Oh, no!
Gant: I won't be careless this time. I won't let any of you get away!
(Beat.)
Gant: That's...!?
Leon (whispering): What's going on?
Ralph (whispering): The atmosphere got awkward all of a sudden.
Ophelia (whispering): I'm not sure, either, but this is a good chance! Let's get out of here!
(They flee.)
Gant: It's been over 10 years, but I'm sure I wasn't mistaken. She must be that little girl...but what is she doing with those people?

T. T.: Huh? This is...
Store clerk: Is there anything you'd like?
(Beat)
T. T.: I want you.
(Beat)
Store clerk: Huh?
T. T.: I'd like to by you with my love and sincerity.
Store clerk: Sorry, but I'm not a product for sale...
T. T.: You don't need to be shy...
Store clerk: No...I...! (What [the heck] is up with this guy?)
T.T. (approaching the counter): Quickly! Don't hesitate. Run into my arms!
Store clerk: Oh, no! Don't come any closer!

T. T.: Ack!
Store clerk: What I meant to say was, you'll trigger the anti-theft system...heh! Heh!
T. T.: You look so cute when you're acting shy!
Store clerk (thinking): What the heck is going on? How can this guy jump back up like he's some kind of zombie?
T. T.: Don't be afraid, please accept my love...
(T. T. gets zapped again.)
T. T.: Ack!
Store clerk: Can you please give up, and buy things like a normal person?

(Shopping!)

T. T.: I've lost today. But, the next time we meet, I am sure to wait. So please wait for me!
Store clerk: Th...thank's for coming! (Please! Never again!)

Video link

Ophelia: I'll see if I can borrow a boat from a friend of mine. Wait for me at the hotel. By the way...
Karen: Grampa! Look! There's fish!
Brian: K-karen! Watch your feet!
Leon: Wow! This is my first time seeing the ocean!
Ralph: Woah! And there's so many huge boats!
Leon and Ralph (at the same time): Cool!
Ophelia: Hey, you kids standing around over there! Yeesh, what a pain it is to be a guide for these folks.

Ophelia: Finally got me a boat. Though it's headed towards the mainland, they can drop us off at Turuk's shore.
Ralph: How weird, that we live on the same island but can't [just] walk [on] over there. It's hard to believe.
Ophelia: That's how the monsters have been able to leave peacefully to this day. By the way, I heard a strange rumor.
Marcia: Do tell.
Ophelia: That many people have witnessed strange creatures nearby. Of course, it's not a big deal if it's regular creatures, but rumor has it that there's zombies!
Leon: What's a zombie?
Ophelia: To put it simply, using a corpse like a puppet, or a vampire.
Fam: No! Was it Kaiser?
Ophelia: Probably. I don't know what he's up to, but since this port is the only connection to the mainland, so I doubt he would try anything funny. [Still,] I would say that you shouldn't go outside until we set sail.
Leon: What about Lee-Ann?
Ophelia: I think it's best to have my friend take care of her, because we'll be heading into quite dangerous territory.
Leon: Isn't that great, Lee-Ann?
Lee-Ann: Uh-huh...

Leon: Lee-Ann?

(As Lee-Ann walks off-screen, the camera pans up to show Leon watching from the window.)

Leon: Huh? I wonder where Lee-Ann is going so late at night.

Leon: That's strange...I thought she was headed in this direction.
(Beat)
Leon: But when I think about it some more, that doesn't seem very likely. Let's just go back and wait for her.
(He turns around.)
Leon: Oh! The insects have stopped calling!
???: Heh! Quite observant, aren't you!
Leon: Who's there!

Welner: Hello there. My name is Welner.
Leon: What's a kid like you doing in a place like this?
Marcia: Watch out, Leon! That's...
Leon: What? What's wrong?
Welner: Where are you looking?
(Welner casts a spell, there's a flash of light, and Leon falls into the "has a status ailment" pose)
Leon: Ack! I can't move!
Welner: Allow me to re-introduce myself. I am Welner, but everyone calls me the "Ice God".
Leon: So you're...one of Kaiser's...elites...
Brian: Leon! We'll be right there!
Welner: All right! Let's take care of you before those other scary-looking people get here.
???: Hold it!

Lee-Ann: Weil! Don't hurt that person!
Welner: Lee-Ann!?
(Beat)
Welner: Why, you little...what did you do to Lee-Ann!?
Leon: What's going on? How do you know Lee-Ann...?
Welner: You bastard! Die!
(There's another flash of light, and this time, it's Welner that goes into the pose)
Leon: I...I can move?
Lee-Ann: Leon! Hurry on out of here!
Welner: Why...drat it...! I...I'll kill you all!

Stage 16: Those Who Live in Darkness

Link to full battle

I could make a beeline for Welner and end him in less than three turns, but I'd prefer to feed experience to as many party members as I can. Additionally, I wanted to show off some of Lee-Ann's spells--she can paralyze, like Karen, but she also has her own unique skills that charm the enemy, put them to sleep, or absorb their HP to heal herself.

While replaying the battle to double check if I missed anything, I managed to capture the animation for T. T.'s newest spell. I love the expression on that ostrich's face.

It turns out I did miss an on-field treasure; it's sneakily hidden behind a tree so I didn't notice the sparkle until I saw it on replay. Replaying the battle to see what it is, it turns out to be a ring that only adds 3 points to defense; this time, I decided that it wasn't worth overwriting my save for it (since I had neglected to purchase weapons when making the save point for this battle, meaning I'd have to replay two battles and I didn't want this item that badly).

(Description: Called "Ice God Welner". Though a small child, he is descended from vampires, who have great magic powers. An arrogant brat.)

Welner: Why would you defend that guy! Tell me!
Leon: What on earth are you talking about?
Welner: Damnit! I'll kill you all!

Welner's spell has an area effect of 5 tiles and can freeze, but I still ignore him in order to clean up his other minions before going for him and beating his face in.

Video link

Welner: Why? Lee-Ann...don't you like me any more?
Lee-Ann: That's not it, Weil...I...
Welner: Lee-Ann...I hate you!
(Welner disappears)
Leon: Lee-Ann...who are you, really?
Lee-Ann: Sorry for not telling you until now, but...
Brian: Lee-Ann, you're a spy sent by Kaiser, aren't you?
Lee-Ann: As you can see, I have vampire blood...I was born of a vampire and a human.
Lee-Ann: My name is Lee-Ann von Basil. Avi was my father.
Marcia: I'd heard that Sir Avi had a daughter, but...
Lee-Ann: Weil...no, Welner, he's younger than me, and he'd often come to my house to play when we were kids. At the time, I lived happily with Kaiser, and Father, but now...
Lee-Ann: At first, I approached you out of a desire for revenge, but as soon as I found out that you weren't the ones who murdered Father, I didn't know what to do...
Ralph: Is that why you've been avoiding Fam?
Lee-Ann: When I heard about the zombies, I thought it had to be Weil or Kaiser. I wanted to ask them to give up fighting, but...why [did things turn out like this]?
(Beat)
Ophelia: Let's go back into town to rest. We'll all catch colds if we keep standing around like this.
Leon: Lee-Ann...let's go back!

Lee-Ann uses the honorific "nii-san" (big brother) to refer to Kaiser. I'm pretty sure their actual relationship is a spoiler, so I left it out of the translation.

Next time: More reveals!

Lee-Ann: A mysterious girl who is invited by Leon to join the party when she suddenly shows up in the Urukanos mountains. Proficient with daggers and light magic.
Welner: One of Kaiser's elites, well-versed in magic. Has a bit of a crush on Lee-Ann.

dotchan fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Mar 18, 2021

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

dotchan posted:

Marcia: Hey, Leon!
Marcia: Where'd you pick up such a cute girl like her, huh?
Leon: "P-p-pick up"? What are you talking about?
Ralph: Ralph, you hypocrite! For all of your criticisms of my faults, you're the one who made the first move! I totally misjudged you!
Leon: I didn't pick anybody up! I thought she might be dangerous by herself, so I invited her to come along...
T. T.: That's exactly what society calls "picking up"...
Brian: I used to be worried that even at 18, Leon wouldn't even dare talk to a woman. Now I can relax.
Ophelia: That's puberty for you! Isn't it so nice to be young?
Leon: It's not like that. Lee-Ann, help me out here!
Fam: What's the matter? You don't have to mind us.
(Fam approaches. Lee-Ann whirls around.)
Lee-Ann: Don't touch me!!
Fam: ...huh?
Leon: Lee-Ann?
Ralph: [Fam,] look at how troublesome you are.
Fam: Oh, be quiet!
Ophelia: All right, all right! Little Miss Lee-Ann must still be nervous. By the way...
Leon: Woah! That's a lot of monsters!
Ophelia: What a pain! A little slip of the attention and things end up this way.
Marcia: Is it just me, or does it reek over here?
Ralph: Yeah, it smells like alcohol.
Fam: Where would monsters get alcohol from? Miss Ophelia? Miss Ophelia?
(Beat. There is a deep rumble, as if a muffled explosion went off.)
Ophelia: Those...those bastards stole the wine I've been saving up...
Brian: Miss Ophelia, are you all right?
(Beat)
Ophelia: I am going to KILL THEM ALL.
Leon: Oh! She's mad...
T. T.: My, my...she's a completely different [] when it comes to alcohol. She hasn't changed at all.

Bolded some typos I noticed.

I hope we can get the next update on the next page, because my browser's starting to have some trouble loading up all the images.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

Whoops! That's what I get for updating in a hurry. Typos fixed.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Following along (and trying to get to a new page).

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like that they're working with all this height variation. Makes the combat map look more interesting, at any rate. How much of an issue is navigating around when you can't fly?

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

Glazius posted:

I like that they're working with all this height variation. Makes the combat map look more interesting, at any rate. How much of an issue is navigating around when you can't fly?

Not too bad, at least not for Ralph, Leon, and Ophelia. Casters tend to straggle a bit, but since they have ranged attacks and they need to stay further back in order to not attract aggro, most of the time I don't feel a need to wait for anybody to catch up unless I have treasure left to get.

Oh, and don't worry about forcing content to a new page. If we can't get there, I'll just use the LP test poster and give you guys the link.

dotchan fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Mar 13, 2019

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

Newest update up, link here.

dotchan fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Mar 20, 2019

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

Another update up, link here.

dotchan fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Apr 21, 2019

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

Update up, link here

dotchan fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jan 22, 2021

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Haha, even if the result was kinda lackluster, rendering the final boss that way was an interesting way to show its other-worldliness.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

New update up, link here.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

New update up, link here

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Every now and then a series really leans into the mysterious wandering item shop. This doesn't put a lot of weight on it, but the humor's welcome.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

Farland Saga 1 final update up, link here.

Farland Saga 1 Voice Cast

(Information taken from a Chinese fan site, presented without comment since I haven't been following voice acted work for a while and don't really recognize most of these names)

Leon - Yuji Ueda
Ralph - Nobuyuki Hiyama
Lee-Ann - Sachiko Sugawara
Ophelia - Maria Kawamura
Marcia - Miyuki Matsushita
T. T. - Toshiyuki Morikawa
Karen - Hikari Tachibana
Brian - Tomomichi Nishimura
Kaiser - Hirotaka Suzuoki
Fam - Tomoe Hanba

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the LP! Always cool to see these lesser-known games shown off. I'll still be here to see what happens in FS 2 :)

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

Farland Saga 2: The Signposts of Time

Hot on the heels of the excellent reception garnered by Farland Saga 1, TGL cranked out this sequel and pulled out all of the stops, with a bunch of quality of life improvements in the gameplay. Unfortunately, while the plot still traces the usual "light hearted adventure escalating in stakes until the party punches out God" path, the jokey parts are far more :japan: , so if anime cliches are not your thing you might want to skip the videos.

Full text update here. I will revert to in-forum updates once there's enough content to go to the next page.

ETA: I missed a very minor bit of flavor text on Day 1; the save file name changes to "[A New] Day Dawns" if you save after reporting to the guild but before going to the inn to spend the night.

dotchan fucked around with this message at 19:42 on May 10, 2021

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Alright! I was hoping she'll be making a return for FS2, and she's even the main character (or at least half of the main pair)!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Ah, I thought the FS1 shop availability seemed awkward, so that's a definite improvement. Off to a mostly wacky start, mysterious saviour aside.

Next post should be on a new page.