Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:
Stage 39: The God of Darkness

Fana gets handed back to us at a whopping level 60 (i.e. at the cap), so even if she could gain any more experience, she doesn’t need to. I feed experience to everyone who I think still could use some and work my way towards Demetor, who turns out not to have anything to say to us so I feed the kill to Arc (after one close call where he killed Arc on a critical hit counterattack).

Demetor: I see...so that bastard Elmess gave you the Godslayer…still trying to go against his father, is he?
Arc: It’s the end for you, Demetor!
Demetor: That’s human nature for you! And it seems you’ve really managed to upset me. Behold! The comet has arrived above us. Gaze upon my true form as the Utmost Almighty! This ground shall be your grave!

Arc: This is--!
(Stop looking so surprised, Arc, this is the third time something similar has happened to you!)
Elmess: Arc, can you hear me? This is the stronghold Demetor made [for himself] on the comet. I have [already] given you the sword containing my power. Therefore fight [with all your strength]!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

Stage 40: The end of light and dark

The battle starts with the party pre-split into two squads; after the first turn has passed, minions will teleport in to stand at the mouths of the four caves scattered across the map and will continue to do so on every even turn; the two smaller circles offer regeneration and better defense than the other tiles and therefore make good rest stops while we make our way to Demetor. Demetor has nothing to say to us; at an almost game-breakingly powerful level 99, he hits like a truck (being capable of one-shotting Arc from almost full health with a critical hit) and in addition to teleporting in clones of himself (unless one of our units, living or dead, takes up the tile directly in front of him) heals a bit of HP every turn, so it takes quite a while to chop him down. I feed the kill to Arc in case there’s more gameplay after this.

Demetor: How! How did [I,] the devil[,] lose [to the likes of you]!?
Elmess: Demetor--my Father--your era has drawn to an end. Instead of transforming yourself into a demon, why couldn’t you have shared your power with us?
Demetor: You think I didn’t think of that? Evil always propers and destroys [what] good [there is in the world].
Elmess: Is that the belief which drove you to betray your son and murder your granddaughter with your own hands?
Demeter: Say anything you wish. My strength is now spent. However, just remember this--evil lurks everywhere, in the corners of every human mind. [If nothing else,] do not forget this.

(One screen transition later, the party has returned to the roof of the Sun Tower.)
Elmess: With that, the world will be saved from darkness...what’s wrong? You’ve got a strange look on your face.
Arc: I wonder what Demetor meant with those parting words…
Fana: “Evil lurks in the corner of every human mind”...
Elmess: Hm...isn’t it [therefore] up to everyone to fight that battle themselves wherever [they may be]?
Fana: Arc, look, the comet’s leaving...

(The party sees Asheed and Fana off at the entrance of a cave.)
Asheed: Well, then, shall we be off?
Fana:. Let’s.
Arc: Sir Asheed, I leave Fana in your care.
Asheed: Worry not. I will safely see her to [her own time] 50 years from now.
Lucieda: Don’t forget about us, you hear?
Asheed: Actually...once we open the doorway of time, all of our memories of everyone will be wiped.
Arina: Aww, it’ll [really] be all gone?
Asheed: Unfortunately[, yes]. That reminds me, Lord Arc..the doorway of time should no [longer] exist[, either]. After we are gone, destroy it before your memory [is erased] as well. It is a simple matter of using that sword.
Arc: Understood.
Elenoa: By the way, where did Tack go?
Docatti: That’s right, I don’t see him [anywhere].
Arc: Where did he run off to [now]...huh? Fana, isn’t this the Sun’s sword?
Fana: Tack gave it to me…
Narcisse: What a strange offering…
Ferio: Hey, look over there!
(Ferio and Fana turns as the camera pans eastward to show three ships.)

(Tack and Leah are on one of the ships.)
Leah: Is that alright?
Tack: I just gave [the sword] back to its original owner, why wouldn’t I [be okay]?
Leah: I’m not talking about the Sun Sword, I’m talking about that little lady.
Tack: It doesn’t matter.
Leah: I think you’ve fallen for her.
Tack: What are you talking about!
Leah: Then what’s with making all those yellow sails?
Tack: [Hey,] I’m the great Tack, Hook’s grandson. If I don’t bring back some souvenirs, it’ll give me a bad name.
Leah (laughing): [For the sake of] your reputation, huh?
Tack: What a woman...still, [at least] half the world’s made up of women…
Leah: Hahahahaha!

(Back on the shore.)
Arc: That idiot!
Asheed: Yellow is the color that symbolizes the sun goddess...he must have been taught that [from somewhere] at some point…
Fana: Tack…
Asheed: Well, then, shall we go?
Fana: ...okay.

Ending cutscene and credits

(Narration: A long time ago, there was a person who used a mythic sword to save the world from darkness. His story--the tale of the heroic King Arc--has long since become legend in Farlandia. [It is] an ancient tale of a distant land:)

(Narration: [When] Demetor the god of darkness revived on the earth, the king of Farlandia used the five magic stones to restore peace to the world. Arc was his name[; remember it always]. --from the Book of [Farlandia] Genesis)

Final thoughts:
Something I never bothered to bring up because I wasn’t sure when to put it in since it wasn’t something I myself noticed until partway through and it never became particularly relevant is that some (but not all) characters gained a command called “Accumulate” in their menus that claims to raise their stats in some way I haven’t tested thoroughly because other than “leave Arc out of the action if he’s likely to get surrounded and killed on the next turn”, there’s no need to consider any in-depth strategy. Otherwise, this game doesn’t do anything new or interesting compared to the last two games and though it is technically longer, most of the stages feel like filler, the plot (or what I could get out of it through Google translate) is generic and poorly paced. So far, I still think FS1 has been the most fun to play (of the Farland Story games) and worth replaying.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

Farland Story: Dance of Destruction

This game, like Farland Saga, is considered a spinoff from the main Farland franchise. While it still takes place on the continent of Fersaria, I don’t expect any of the characters from the previous games to make a cameo, but you never know! Because this game was made for the Sega Saturn, screencapping every line of dialogue would be insanely tedious and therefore I will be recording all of the cutscenes instead. (Gameplay will still use screenshots because you don’t need to see me fumbling about with the menus.)

Video link

Narration: Twenty years after Arc ascended to Fersaria’s throne…the world has changed quite a bit. [On] the continent of Ionia, the frontier nation of Baal annexed its neighbors and renamed itself the Baaldeath Empire, beginning its conquest of the [entire] world.

(A figure approaches the emperor, seated at the far back center of a fancy throne room.)
??: Your Imperial Highness, it wasn’t easy, but we have [successfully] captured the magic kingdom Paracelsus.
Emperor: Good work, Gibogera.
Gibogera: I heard a strange rumor while I was over there among the wizards of Paracelsus.
Emperor: Don’t be afraid; do tell.
Gibogera: With your permission...
(Gibogera moves next to the Emperor and speaks so softly his on-screen dialogue box is blank.)
Emperor: What!? That girl…? ‘Kentouney’...? ‘The Dance of Destruction’? Metal Gear???
Gibogera: ...that is all.
(Gibogera returns to his original position before the throne.)
Emperor: If that is true, then the world can be united ten years ahead of schedule. Gibogera, I entrust everything to you.
Gibogera: Mwahahaha, thank you very much!

Stage 1: Escape from the Empire

Narration: Emperor Nereid has two sons. The elder [is named] Tarikaara; he studies [diligently] on how to rule an empire while remaining close to the emperor’s side. The younger [is named] Leard; despising the restrictive life in the castle, he’s fled from it.

(Leard approaches the throne.)
Narration: Leard, who hasn’t been in the palace for ages, is summoned to a long-dreaded meeting with his father Emperor Nereid.
Leard: Long time no see, Father, Brother. What do you want with this no-good [bum] who abandoned his home [and duties]?
Emperor: I overlooked [your transgression] because I thought you’d be back [in the blink of an eye], but has it already been half a year? What are you up to these days?
Leard: Hunting, living freely [off the land, that sort of thing].
Gibogera (from offscreen): Your Imperial Highness, shouldn’t we get back to the topic at hand?
Emperor: Of course. *clears throat* Leard, the Baaldeath Empire will soon easily unite the world, and the war that claimed your mother’s life will come to an end [at long last]. I will show you her memorial myself.
Leard: Unification? [Really?] Father, you’re being strange. The way the empire’s going now, it’ll only inflame the war, not eliminate it!
Tarikaara (running in from behind the throne): Watch it, Leard! You’re in the presence of His Imperial Majesty!
Leard: I’m well aware of that, Brother! [But] the Imperial Army has laid waste to every place they have passed! This isn’t how war will be eliminated!
Gibogera: Mwahahaha, it is unacceptable for fools to resist!
Emperor: There’s no need to make a fuss. I’ll prove it!
(A character flanked by two guards is brought before the throne.)
Emperor: Behold!
Leard: S-Serena!?! Father! What the hell is this [about]...!
Emperor: Leard, you may find it difficult to believe, but your childhood friend [here] is the key to world domination...what an ironic fate.
Leard: [What?] Why?
Gibogera: That girl is a dancer who hails from a tribe in the Paracelsus Kingdom called the , “Kentonays”, capable of destroying the world with her “Dance of Destruction”. In other words, whoever controls the girl gains a powerful weapon! Let’s [use her to] bring ruin to the other countries!
Leard: What the hell are you planning, Gibogera?
Gibogera: I’m only executing the Emperor’s will[, of course]...mwahahaha.
Leard: Serena, is this true? Is that dance really…?
Serena: I don’t know...I have no idea. All I’m sure is that when I was young, I got lost from my village and my granny found me...I can perform a dance, sure[, but]...I didn’t know that it was the Dance of Destruction.
Emperor: None of that is of any concern to me. Come, Gibogera! Prepare the rite to brainwash Serena into a puppet that is [fully] loyal to my orders!
Gibogera: Acknowledged! Serena, do not disobey His Imperial Highness.
(As Gibogera turns to face forward, Serena is brought closer to the front. However, before she can reach the designated spot, Leard literally jumps into action and kills the two guards surrounding her--this looks rather silly since it’s animated the same way a kill happens in game, with the unit flying out of the scene. He looks at his father and, getting no immediate reaction, approaches Gibogera and attempts the same while the latter backs away from him.)
Leard: Gibogera…! [Eat my] Break Storm!
(Gibogera, however, manages to dodge out of the way.)
Leard: Dammit! Go, Serena! Run!
Serena: Y-yes!
(Leard and Serena make a break for it, while the other guards give chase; given that the ones standing farthest back don’t bother to surround them, I thought they were Leard’s secret allies who were helping them escape until I got into the actual battle and couldn’t control those units.)
Emperor: Idiots...one of you hurry up and capture Serena! Kill Leard if you have to!
Gibogera: Leave it [all] up to me...but I cannot guarantee Prince Leard’s safety...mwahahaha…!
(Gibogera also leaves the throne room.)

(Leard and Serena almost make it to the city outside the castle before pausing to catch their breath.)
Serena: Leard, I don’t have much time. [Just] hand me [back] over to the Emperor.
Leard: Nope, I’m not doing that. I’m not handing you over to Father or Gibogera. The Empire’s currently headed down the wrong path!
Serena: I don't know too much about my clan...however, now you’re [also] caught up in the danger, Leard.
Leard: Whatever! That Father [sitting on the throne] is not the Father I know...
Serena: What do you mean by that?
Leard: I don’t know [either]. Maybe it’s [all just] in my head...but…
Serena: ……
Leard: !! Anyway, they’ve given chase. Let’s figure out how to make our escape.
(3 armor knights, 3 soldiers, and 6 killer bees enter the scene, while 2 man eater [flowers] take up position at the exit out of the city.)

And so the first battle begins. While it’s technically only necessary to kill the knight guarding the way out of the city, everything else is going to aggro towards the party while they make their way down there anyway and though I don’t expect the difficulty curve to ramp very high I’m still going to get as much experience as I can. As befitting a JPRG protagonist, Leard is the Hero class (whatever that means) and has a special skill called 'Break Storm'' (i.e., the same one he used in the opening cutscene) that, as far as I can tell, can be used so long as he has full health; meanwhile, Serena is the Dancer class and, in addition to being able to heal (but only from 1 tile away, and she has to switch into a different weapon in order to do it), has a special skill called ''広域魔法'' when she has her default ring equipped; this is a 3x3 AOE spell that takes one turn to charge.

The only point of interest to me in the animations is that it uses 3D sprites and 2D pixel backgrounds, which is the inverse of what TGL did in Farland Saga 1 and Farland Saga 2; I promptly turn them off to make battles faster (but I keep text slow so to make it easier for me to read afterward).

The level up text is now more detailed, listing out all of the stats gained.

The right-hand shop offers a sword that Leard already has (while I will be getting new characters in the next stage, I’m not sure if this weapon is better than what they come with, so I pass on buying any) and consumables that heal 15 HP each (so I fill up Leard’s bag with those); in this game inventories are not shared so once I load up I’ll be reviving Serena and giving her a handful of curatives as well.

The left-hand shop offers consumables that heal 20 HP each, a claw weapon for a character we haven’t met yet (pass) and a whiskey. I pass on buying anything, but I probably should have picked up a handful of whiskeys.

The miniboss guarding the way out doesn’t have anything to say to us, so I finish him off and move on with plot.

Video link

(As Leard makes a run for it out of the city, the gates close behind him.)
Leard: Oh, no!
Serena: I’ve had it! No more [of this]!
(A bipedal wolf runs in from the right side of the map.)
Wolf: Woof! Leave it to me!
Serena: Eek! Help, a wolf!
Leard: A wolf…? Calm down, Serena! That’s my brother Claus!
(Claus grabs Serena and jumps over the castle wall with her in his arms.)
Serena: [Why do you have a wolf for a] brother?
Leard: That’s called an oath-brother…
Claus: Big bro, it’s been lonely [here by myself], so I snuck over to the castle[, but…]
Leard: My bad, my bad…
Claus: *howls* Nice to meet you, Miss Serena, [like Leard said,] I’m Claus. Big bro’s told me [all] about you.
Serena: Nice to meet you, Claus. Sorry for screaming [at you] earlier.
Claus: I was once kept as a pet, but big bro helped me [out of that mess]. Anyway, something terrible’s going on, isn’t there?
Leard: It’s not your problem. Hurry up and get away from here. If you stay with us, you’ll end up [a] wanted [wolf].
Claus: Aww, [don’t act] so cold, Big Bro! I’m going with you[, like it or not]!
Serena: Stop it, Claus! You’ll regret this [for the rest of your life]! Do you want to be hunted down by others? Would you really be okay with [going with us]?
Claus: I’d be [more than] happy to. That way, I’d get to be with Big Bro.
Serena: …..
Leard: …...fine, let’s go, Claus.
Claus (jumping up and down): *howls* I knew you’d say so, Big Bro!
Leard: Now that that’s settled, let’s head to a neutral port city; that way, the Empire can’t do anything about it [and] we can escape by ship.

Stage 2: Escape [from] the Continent

Narration (as the camera pans over the next map and the characters enter from the top right corner): The neutral country...by funding the empire [with tributes], they’ve avoided invasion. It is--ostensibly[, at any rate]--not on any side [of the current conflict].
Claus: Hm, so this is the free neutral city, eh? It’s so cool!
Leard: Yeah, it’s trading with the Ionian continent and allied with the Empire. If you get a ship from here, you can reach the Fersaria Kingdom.
Serena: Speaking of the Fersaria Kingdom...what [sort of place] is it?
Leard: It’s the kingdom ruled by the hero king Arc. He’s a righteous man. If we go there, we’ll have a chance...maybe, I dunno.
Claus: *whimpers* I’m worried…
Serena: Will it really be okay?
Leard: We’ll be fine. Besides, in Fersaria we could hide wherever we wanted.
Claus: *barks* Fersaria, huh? Sounds interesting.
(Another character joins the three from behind.)
???: Leard, it looks like you’ve done something ridiculous [again].
Leard: V-Varakana!? You snuck up on me!
Varakana: ……
Leard: How did you [even] know I was here?
Varakana: The Empire...their forces will soon attack this place.
Leard: Ridiculous! The neutral free cities should be made allies instead of just paying tribute to the Empire!
Varakana: Apparently, you’re the reason [for the invasion].
Leard: Dammit, this is the end [for us]!
Varakana: I’ve come to assist you. You are my sole close confidants...I will never forget the kindness you paid me back then.
Claus: What [do you mean], ‘back then’?
Varakana: Come, we’re in a hurry. [Now is hardly the time to discuss that.]
Serena: I’m glad [you’re here], but...it’ll be dangerous to go with us.
Claus: Serena’s right. I’m glad [to see you as well], but if you really consider me your closest confidant then you’ll listen to her.
Varakana: It’s too late, the Empire’s troops are already here.
(The characters turn to see 8 soldiers file in one by one, followed by 2 iron knights taking up position on the bridge.)
Claus: *whimpers* Big bro, the Empire’s troops [have got us surrounded]!

Characters introduced this update:
- the ruler of the Baaldeath Empire; is a man driven by revenge and ambition.
- the Emperor’s chief advisor; has ‘is a smug rear end in a top hat who is likely to betray his liege for personal gain’ written all over his face.
- the emperor’s younger son; is generally opposed to the war and definitely opposed to his childhood friend being used as a person of mass destruction.
- the emperor’s elder son; is loyal to his father.
- Leard’s childhood sweetheart and a member of the Kentonay clan, whose skill in the Dance of Destruction make her and her people coveted assets of and/or dangerous threats to any government.
- a wolfman who swore an oath of brotherhood with Leard after the latter rescued him from being kept as a pet.
- a vampire who has sworn fealty to Leard in a yet-to-be-specified incident in which Leard saved his life.

dotchan fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jun 8, 2021

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

Varakana’s class is simply “demon”, and he doesn’t (yet) have any extra abilities; Claus is a “wolf”, and he has a special ability called “Fanged Wolf Sword” that--as far as I can tell--is like Leard's special attack (i.e. he can use it when his HP is full).

An event triggers once the party approaches either of the iron knights:

(A handful of civilians are seen fleeing the empire, some of whom get mercilessly cut down.)
Serena: This is all my fault…
Leard: [No,] it’s the Empire--my father--who’s wrong.
Varkana: Hurry to the harbor…
Leard: But…
Varkana: Hurry, the ship is one of mine.

The map is too big for me to bother with treasure hunting so I just work my way down to the last enemy.

Video link

Claus: *barks* This must be the ship that’ll take us to Fersaria, Big Bro.
Leard: Yeah.
Varkana: The Empire’s reinforcements are on their way. Quickly, get on board.
(A character disembarks from the ship.)
???: Pardon me, guests of Varkana’s[, perhaps]?
Leard: Who’s this?
Varakana: This is Altaba, from the [former] country of Lodoss which the Empire destroyed. He’s been seeking to pay back the Empire [for that].
Altaba: Varakana’s told me [all about you guys]. Leave it all up to me. I, Altaba of Lodoss, am the greatest sailor in the world!
Serena: So long as I’m part of this group, we’ll be chased by the Empire.
Altaba: [No worries,] I’m already a wanted man! Hahaha, c’mon let’s go! This ship’s called “The Silent Moon”.
Leard: A-awesome! I’ve never seen such a ship before!
Claus: Woof!
Altaba: It’s the fastest in all of Ionia, [and] a magic ship [on top of that]!
Varakana: In that case, we’ll be able to reach Fersaria in a week.
(The characters file into the ship one by one, and it pulls away from the city, which is now on fire.)
Narration: Going onto sea against the backdrop of the burning city, the Silent Moon soon lost sight of land and began a long ocean journey. Miraculously, the party succeeded in landing in Fersaria without any difficulty.
(The ship sails across the open ocean and then arrives at the shorelines of Fersaria.)
Claus: Phew, we’ve made land.
Leard: Is this the Fersaria kingdom? I'm finally here…
(After the characters disembark, a blue winged creature approaches them, causing them to turn and look.)
???: I’ve found you, Prince Leard!
Leard: Barnassus! What the hell has Gibogera been doing with his wallet now?
Barnassus: Please don’t talk bad about [other] people. Certainly, I’ve gotten close to Lord Gibogera...but let’s get back on topic. Your Highness, won’t you please hand over Miss Serena over there? [Do that and] the Emperor says he’ll overlook the sins of Your Highness or your companions.
Leard: I refuse! I won’t cotton to such a ridiculous condition! By the way, you are wanted in countries other than the empire. Of course, that includes this one. Is that all right for everyone else?
Varakana: You don’t even have to ask.
Claus: *barks*
Barnassus: I got it. I’ll relay your decision to the Emperor. Now then, you’re [still] traitors. You can’t complain no matter who kills you. Heheh.
Leard: [Why,] you!
Barnassus: Unfortunately...heheh...Leard, let me tell you something good. You were counting on Fersaria’s King Arc, [but] he’s promised to collaborate with the Imperial Army. In other words, you’re [also] criminals in this country. Look, here comes the Knights of Fersaria.
(A contingent of knights on horseback ride into screen.)
???: You must be the ones who attacked Fersaria’s innocent villages!
Leard: No, I don’t know anything about that!
Claus: *whines* [But] we just landed [here]!
Barnassus: Don’t be fooled! Sir Kai, please defeat these criminals--of course, excepting Miss Serena.
Kai: Leave it to me.
Leard: Wait! You’re being lied to!
Kai: It’s useless to say anything! (to his horse) Let’s go, Red Cyclone! (to the party) Have a taste of my spear!
Leard: You leave me no choice!
(The two of them begin sparring, but neither can get the upper hand on the other.)
Kai: [Why] can’t I [defeat you]? What sort of style is that?!?
Leard: We really don’t know anything!
Kai: But someone called Leard has been witnessed all over the place commanding the undead to attack villages…
Leard: Listen to me--none of us know how to control undead! However…
Serena: Watch my dance.
(After the other party members get out of the way, Serena twirls and jumps twice, giving off magical sparkles as she does so.)
Kai: Is this true?
Barnassus: I haven’t been lying to you, Sir Kai.
Kai: This is a matter I will leave up to King Arc’s judgment.
Barnassus: What?! I must have misheard something. Mind saying that again?
Kai: [I said,] this is a matter for King Arc’s discretion!
Barnassus: That isn’t necessary…[I get it,] you’re also a traitor...is that alright with you?
Leard: Look, Barnassus is panicking!
Barnassus: Idiots! All of you are to die here!
Kai: [What are] you [up to now]!?
(Barnassus runs offscreen.)

A survivor of the former Lodoss kingdom and the owner of the fastest boat in all of Ionia; helps the party escape out of a desire for revenge against the Empire, who destroyed his country.
Some sort of flying imp/demon creature who serves Gibogera and has been implied to be attacking Fersaria’s towns disguised as Leard.
The commander of Fersaria’s knights, a reasonable and honorable man who gets caught up in the conflict when he expresses doubts that Leard and company are the enemy.+

dotchan fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jun 26, 2021

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

dotchan posted:

Otherwise, this game doesn’t do anything new or interesting compared to the last two games and though it is technically longer, most of the stages feel like filler, the plot (or what I could get out of it through Google translate) is generic and poorly paced. So far, I still think FS1 has been the most fun to play (of the Farland Story games) and worth replaying.

Yeah, I thought that game felt a little thin.

dotchan posted:

renamed itself the Baaldeath Empire

Extremely subtle.

dotchan posted:

meanwhile, Serena is the Dancer class and, in addition to being able to heal (but only from 1 tile away), has a special skill called ''広城魔法'' that I have no idea how to translate or what it does except Serena can’t change equipment while it’s active. :iiam:

Apparently this is 広域 rather than 広城. Maybe you can heal from further away with that active?

Also you have mixes of Farlandia and Farsaria, I presume those should be the same thing.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

Polsy posted:

Apparently this is 広域 rather than 広城. Maybe you can heal from further away with that active?

*squints* So it is. And I scienced out what it does. Editing to reflect my new discoveries.

quote:

Also you have mixes of Farlandia and Farsaria, I presume those should be the same thing.

Oops! Arc's country is Farsaria. Farlandia is the continent...I think.

ETA: Derp, the katakana is フェルサリア. Time to search and replace again!

dotchan fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Mar 29, 2021

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

Stage 3: The Kingdom of Fersaria

Altaba’s class is “Sailor” and can attack from up to two tiles away; Kai is a Knight and, like the enemy mounted units, can also attack from up to two tiles away. This is also the first map where I really start paying attention to unit movement; Kai, as fitting a mounted unit, excels on flat ground; Claus can climb mountains; and Altaba can swim.

The first store has a weapon upgrade for Leard and Varkana (so I buy two), plus the same lance Kai already has equipped (pass). This is also when I discover that due to console limitations (I think) it’s no longer possible to manage the inventory except to use consumables. I didn’t bother counting how much stuff each character can haul around but I’m pretty sure this is less than 20 slots each (and multiples don’t stack) so this is going to become a pain in the rear end sooner or later. I’m dumb, items can always be sold or thrown away from the inventory.

The other store sells consumables and Altaba’s current axe (pass); knights spawn as an ambush near this location as well, causing Kai to eat a death as he was the only unit I sent that way.

Video link

Leard: Listen well, Sir Kai--I can’t begin to thank you enough.
Kai: No, no, please allow me [to be the one to say that]
Leard: I don’t mind [one bit]. If we were in that position, I’m sure we’d do the same thing. Anyway, please take us to have an audience with King Arc.
Kai: Sure, understood. Also, you don’t have to worry about [ceremony with] me, it’s fine to address me without titles.
Leard: Well, then, let’s go, Kai.
Kai: This way, please follow me.
Altaba: This is land...this is land...this is land…
Serena: What’s wrong? You’ve turned an awful-looking color…
Altaba: I...I’m a man of the sea...land terrifies men of the sea [such as myself].
Serena: Really?
Altaba: Varakana! Protect me!
Varakana (as he and Altaba run circles around each other): S-stop that! Stay away [from me]! Leard, stop laughing and help me!
Claus: *barks* Hurry up [already]! There isn’t much time!

Stage 4: Docatti

Kai: If you follow the road here, you will reach Fersaria.
Altaba: Ugh...Prince Leard, please help me…I’m so weak...
Leard: How awful…
Altaba: I’m not weak, I...I...Prince Leard!
Leard: Don’t cling onto me...it hurts…
Altaba: I…
Kai: Now then, while Prince Leard is held up, [the rest of] us should get going.
Serena: I feel kind of awkward…
Varakana: I hear a woman’s screams…
Claus (walking forward): Oh! That woman’s being surrounded!
(The camera pans down to show what Claus is talking about.)
Leard: Is that the Imperial Army!?
(Seeing the party ahead of them, the “escort” stops.)
Leard: Don’t move. I’ll help you.
Serena: It’ll be alright, relax.
???: Okay!
(Leard runs up to the soldiers and defeats them rapidly. Freed of the threat, the woman walks up to the rest of the party.)
Leard: There, you’re safe now.
???: Thank you very much.
Kai: Aren’t you Alia? That’s you, right?
Alia: Kai? No way...that’s you?
Kai: This area is dangerous, so come with me.
Alia: Got it.

A woman chased by the Empire until Leard rescued her; is acquainted with Kai by some means not yet explained.

dotchan fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jun 26, 2021

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

Alia’s class is “Cleric” and she can both attack and heal from up to two tiles away, but I will probably have Serena stay as a backup healer unless there are enemy units she can target with her AOE spell.

The shop offers consumables and Alia’s current item for sale; unfortunately, it turns out that I can’t sell things in the shop, either, so all of my unused stuff is going to sit in my bag taking up space and this is going to stick in my craw for the rest of the game. There’s also a command called “contract mercenary” which adds a unit to who can dig a trench one tile wide in all unoccupied tiles immediately surrounding it (so the best way to bunker up would be to put an allied unit next to this unit, dig a trench, and then on the next turn have the trench digger vacate the center of the trench and put the ally there, forcing the enemy to go around and engage the ally one at a time, but given that I can 1~2 shot anything on the field I end up forgoing this option once I figured out what it did) and will hang around until the end of the stage. The mountains also spawn several ambushes, and having learned my lesson from last time I do not overcommit Kai and have him pull back to get healing.

There’s a bit of pre-boss banter this time around…

Barnassus: The traitors and criminals are here, Sir Docatti.
Docatti: What’s all this about, Kai? Hand the criminals over [at once]!
Kai: Docatti, it’s lying to you!
Barnassus: Sir Docatti, [don’t forget that] he’s completely betrayed Fersaria.
Docatti: I have no choice...I’ll [just] crush you along with the others!
Alia: Father, wait!
Serena: He’s your father?
Alia: That’s right. He found me as an infant in the woods and raised me. Father, these people saved my life. Please listen to what they have to say.
Docatti: Be quiet! No matter what you say, I’m not listening [to a single word]! Now, you criminals, come at me!

Kai, having cut through almost all of the ambushes, nearly one-shots Docatti with a critical hit; I feed the k.o. to Alia.

Video link

Docatti: Now, come and finish me off. I’ve lost…
Alia: Father…
Kai:We’re not going to do that. All you have to do is listen to us.
Docatti: I’m not going to hear a single word you say. [Just] hurry up and kill me.
Serena: In that case, would you please watch me dance?
Docatti (as Serena walks up to him and starts dancing): “Dance”? This isn’t the time to watch...dancing…? …...it’s a dance that opens my heart...it’s beautiful...where am I? Certainly, I [remember I] was going to catch some [escaped] felons from the Empire with Kai...
Alia: Father! Are you alright?
Docatti: At any rate, what a beautiful dance...your sincerity has reached my heart, truly…
Claus: *barks* Barnassus is gone! He [must] have run away, let’s go [after him]!
Leard: Sir Docatti, we’d really like to meet King Arc. Would you please let us meet him?
Docatti: Sure, you don’t look like untrustworthy people; I’ll take you to him.

Stage 5: King Arc

(Unlike the Baaldeath empire’s throne room that was dark and ominous, Arc’s has a tall ceiling with light streaming from the ceiling and fancy stained class windows. Don’t ask me why there are two sprites hovering at the top of the screen, though. Probably some sort of visual glitch due to the emulator I’m using since these are characters that show up in the next scene. :iiam: )
Narrator (while the party files in; hilariously, Kai is still on his horse): Leard and company were granted an audience with King Arc.
Leard: Greetings, King Arc, for the first time. I am Leard, the younger prince of the Baaldeath Empire.
Arc: I am Arc, the king of Fersaria. So you’re [Leard], huh? Indeed, as Kai and Docatti have told me, you do not seem to be an evil person...however, your reputation is that of a group who has done every awful deed...just what is the point of doing such a thing?
Leard: I’m afraid it’s so Fersaria’s people would be fooled into capturing us.
Arc: [So] why are you [even] being chased by the Empire?
Leard: My father Nereid is planning to take over the world. I sense a demonic power [emanating] from him. He seeks to use Serena’s power of the Dance of Destruction [for that end].
Arc: [What sort of] dance power?
Leard: That’s right. Serena’s tribe can use the “Dance of Destruction”, [with this the Vaaldeath empire] can try to conquer the world.
Arc: [Fersaria] has signed a nonaggression pact with the Empire. If this is true, then I have a duty to stop the Empire’s ambition. But I will [still] meet with Emperor Nereid and speak with him. I honestly don’t understand this.
Leard: You’d better not. Father--no, the Emperor--has [unimaginable] magic power.
Arc: Hahaha, don’t underestimate me. I defeated the demon king twenty years ago. Of course, I’ll be careful. However, okay, okay, since you say so...I will be accompanied by veteran warriors such as Elenoa, Deino, Randia, Lucieda, and Godaar.
(I haven’t been playing very far ahead in the game, but that’s a death flag if I’ve ever seen one. Arc and company are totally being set up to be WTFpwned to show how big of a threat this new big bad is, because compared to a demon or the god of darkness, “evil empire run by a well-intentioned extremist” does seem to be a downgrade.)
Leard: But--!
Arc: I’ll be heading towards the Baaldeath Empire [now] to see Emperor Nereid. That way I will be able to judge your circumstances [properly], Prince Leard. Until then, you will be Fersaria’s guests. I promise we will be good hosts. [In turn,] I have a request for you.
Leard: What is it?
Arc: I’d like to borrow a boat. Fersaria has no ships that can withstand a long sea voyage.
Leard: Got it. I will lend you the Silent Moon.
Arc: Thank you. I will set out three days from now.
(One fade in/fade out later, the party is lingering around the now empty throne.)
Alia: [I wonder] if King Arc is alright…
Serena: I hope so.
(A soldier runs in.)
Soldier: T-there’s trouble! Monsters! And a whole bunch of them advancing toward the capitol!
Ferio: Don't be upset, everyone! Alicia, [gather] the citizens into the castle. Docatti and Kai, please quickly gather the fighters and knights.
Alicia: Got it.
(Ferio and the soldier walk offscreen. Afterwards, Leard walks to the center of the room.)
Leard: ...I’m going too. I'm really worried about the monster hordes.
Kai: They chose a time that King Arc isn’t here…
Leard: We will also face and defeat the enemy forces!
Serena: Let’s go protect the innocents.
Claus: *barks* I’ve got my fist [ready]! Wait for me, monsters!
Alia: Um...should I also come along with you?
Leard: Don’t, Alia, it’s dangerous.
Alia: I can use restorative magic. If you get stuck, you can leave me to my own devices. So…
Leard: Got it, but as soon as it’s dangerous, run away, okay?
Alia: Okay.
Leard: Great, then let’s get going. Those monsters won’t take a single step into the capitol--we’ll drive them all off!
(Outside, two characters are discussing their current predicament.)
???: Let’s run away, Neifel! It’s [too] dangerous for us here!
Neifel: You’re being a wimp again! Are you really Arc’s son? You should be thinking about how to protect Fersaria!
???: Shut up! I’m not [anything] like Dad!
Neifel: Oh, no! We’re out of herbs!
???: Ugh, I’ve had enough of this!
(Alia walks out of the castle and joins the two people arguing.)
Alia: Sifel, Neifel, is that you [guys]? What’s wrong? Why are you [standing] here?
Sifel: Alia! Help me, Alia! We’ve been fighting off the monsters, but the foes are strong...and we’ve used up all of our herbs.
Neifel: Hurry up and use your restorative magic!
Alia: Nefel, you’re a lady, please be more proper.
Neifel: Yeah[, yeah]... how about you hurry up with that healing [first]!
(Alia heals both of them; after that, Leard and company file out of the castle one by one.)
Kai: It’s dangerous for you two members of the royal family to be out here.
Sifel: It was awful!
Claus: *barks* These two are royalty? They don’t look the part at all.
Alia: Yeah, I agree.
Sifei: Hmph! Even if I don’t look like it, I’m the crown prince of Fersaria!
Neifel: [And] I’m Sifei’s cousin.
Leard: Arc’s son and Elenoa’s daughter, huh…
Sifiel: And who are you, you rude rapscallions!
Leard: My apologies, Prince Sifel. I’m Leard, of the Baaldeath Empire.
Alia: He’s also a crown prince.
Sifel: You look pretty strong...well, whatever. Let’s go! All you need is recovery magic[, and Alia has that]! Bring it, monsters! [I’m your] doom!...but maybe I should be running away…
(As Sifel says that, the enemy comes marching in.)

Characters introduced in this update:
The dwarf with a comically poor sense of direction and Alia’s adoptive father; he hasn’t seemed to have age a day since he was last seen in Farland Saga 3.
The legendary hero king of Fersaria, who has forgone wearing a crown in favor of his Protagonist Headband. Now that he’s an NPC, who knows if it’ll still give him any Plot Armor.
A generic Fersarian soldier whose sole job is to be the bearer of bad news.
This character is not not named in this cutscene, but I can’t think of anybody who would be in a position to give orders other than Ferio or Elenoa and the latter was a redhead in the previous games.
Ferio’s friend from Farland Saga 1; now part of Arc’s court.
Arc’s son, he struggles to live up to Arc’s legacy and resents being constantly compared to his father.
Eleanoa’s daughter; a tomboy with very little brain to mouth filter.

dotchan fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jun 26, 2021

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

As before, Docatti is a Berserker, and his current ax can attack from two tiles away; Shifel is a Lord, but perhaps because he’s not yet a worthy successor to Arc he has no special skills; Neifel is a Wizard who can only attack from ranged for now but she also has AOE magic like Serena.

The southern shop sells equipment that I already have and an item that restores 15 HP; the southeast corner spawns reinforcements if the battle starts to run too long.

The northern shop spawns an ambush and sells a sword upgrade for Leard, Shifel, and Varkana, the same rod that Neifel has equipped, a consumable that raises magic power, and an item that heals 20 HP; it also has the option to hire a trench digger. Since I ended the battle before I was able to get to this shop, I replayed it in order to get this screencap and I will be moving on with having picked up these items.

Attacking any of the minions surrounding the stage objective will get some dialogue:

Varkana: That’s Leard!
Leard: I’m over here!
Fake Leard: [No,] I’m Leard!
Claus: Oh[, no], there’s two Big Bros!
Kai: This must be the guy attacking the villages in Prince Leard’s name.

Video link

Shifel: [You] did it,.Leard.
Leard: I don’t think so? Not really.
(The original didn’t have a pronoun in there, so either Shifel was boasting of his prowess and got shot down by Leard, or Shifel was thanking Leard for his help and Leard was acting humble; I decided to go for the latter interpretation.)
Kai: The monsters that should have been destroyed long ago have attacked the capitol...moreover, they made a fake of Prince Leard…[so] why are monsters reappearing now of all times? Prince Leard, do you have any ideas?
Leard: Undoubtedly, this is an imperial plot.
Neifel: There is a lot of folklore about joining hands with monsters to conquer the whole world.
Serena: If that’s true...King Arc is in danger. Leard, you have to help King Arc as soon as possible!
Leard: King Arc is accompanied by strong heroes. I’m sure they wouldn’t be defeated so easily.
Shifel: That’s right. My father wouldn’t be taken down that easily. Let's go back to the castle and see if there’s any news.

Stage 6: Setting Off
Narrator: Riad once again had an audience with Ferio, who was in [charge of] the castle now that Arc is gone.
Ferio: Everyone, you have saved Fersaria. Truly, I thank you very much. The damage was also minimal.
Leard: I’m indebted to you[r hospitality]; of course I’d do the right thing. By the way, [I’m worried] about King Arc…
Ferio: About that...I haven’t gotten any contact from him [like I was supposed to] regularly.
Leard: Is there something usual about that?
Ferio: I’ve tried everything--carrier pigeons, magic, and so on--I can’t get in touch with him. There’s no [official] word from the Empire, either…
Leard: Perhaps he’s been imprisoned by the Empire...
Docatti: Now that we can’t get in touch with King Arc, our hands are tied.
Leard: Why don’t I go look for King Arc?
Ferio: If you’d please. There isn’t anyone in Fersaria who is familiar with the Empire[‘s inner workings]. Please take Kai with you as well; I believe he will be of use to you.
Leard:Got it. I’ll need to borrow a boat, then. [I lent mine to Arc for him] to go to the Empire...
Docatti: Unfortunately, there currently isn’t a single boat in Fersaria that could sail to the Empire. Until recently, we didn’t even know there were continents beyond Fersaria…
Leard: Understood. We’ll just have to procure a boat ourselves somehow.
Serena: What could possibly go wrong?
(This another one I’m not sure about.)
Leard: Well, that’s that.
Nifel (as the party turns to leave): Leard, [I hear] the Empire has troops lying in wait to the woods north of here. Let’s go see what they have to say.
Shifel: Are you sure that’s a good idea, Nifel?
Ferio: Shifel!...Please hold on, you three. Where do you think you’re going? You’re not about to go with Prince Leard, are you?
Shifel: I will help Father. So please don’t stop me.
Nifel: It’ll be fine, I’ll look after Shifel. I’ll be going not just to help the people of Fersaria, but those in the whole world. I don’t want anyone else to die.
Ferio: ...I see. Go ahead, but please don’t die. You shoulder Fersaria’s future, so...
Shifel: I get it, I get it.
Nifel: I promise.
Docatti: Elia...don’t overdo it…
Nifel: I’ll be fine, Father.
Ferio: Prince Leard, we apologize for the inconvenience, and thank you for your cooperation.
Leard: It is a virtue to make your own decision in my country, so [as far as I’m concerned,] choose your own way and blaze your own path.
Ferio: Everyone, keep your eyes peeled.
Leard:Well, then, here we go.
Docatti: Best of luck to you.

(One scene change later, the party finds themselves staring down quite the contingent of enemy soldiers of all types when someone rides up to them.)
???: Is this everyone?
Shifel: Kaylinas! What are you doing here?
Kaylinas: I was watching the Imperial Army! [Since] I’m meeting Prince Leard for the first time, I am Kaylinas, [the great] Knight Randia’s eldest son. (He notices Serena.) Oh! What a beauty!
Serena: *giggles* I’m Serena.
Leard: [And] I’m Lea--
Kaylinas: [You’re] beautiful...I live to meet [people such as] you! How tragic that I do not yet know you [intimately]!
Shifel: There he goes again…
Neifel: [Kaylinas,] don’t be stupid.
Kaylinas: Nevermind the peanut gallery over there, you really are beautiful[, Serena].
Claus: *barks* This person’s [kind of] weird?
Alia: Leard, Serena, I’m so sorry. He’s like that.
Kaylinas: How rude! Anyway, Alia, you’re beautiful as well.
Kai: We’re about to launch an ambush against the Imperial Army, this isn’t the [time or] place [to flirt]!
Kaylinas: I’m aware of that, but if you push forward now you’ll surely lose.
Leard: Why do you say that [with such certainty]?
Kaylinas: Simple--the enemy is more numerous by a factor of ten!
Altaba: Really?
Shifel: Let’s get out of here, quick[, then].
Kaylinas: By the way, Prince Leard, would you like to see my cleverness? I have an excellent strategy [in mind]....
Leard: What sort of strategy? Let’s hear it.
Kalinas: I dedicate this strategy to the beautiful Serena--a fire attack. The Imperial troops have laid out their troops in an area overgrown with many very flammable trees and trapped [themselves] between two steep mountains.
Neifel: Prince Leard, be careful; Kaylinas’ plans often go wrong in the most ridiculous ways.
Leard: [Given that] we’re outnumbered ten to one, we don’t have much of a choice...Kaylinas, [go ahead and] use your strategy.
(Kaylinas rides off to the north; as soon as the “camera” pans to show the Imperial troops, the screen grows red with fire and they all fly off the screen row by row. The fire then fades, leaving the area where the troops had been a burned out husk.)
Leard: He did it!
Niefel: [It’s] a fluke, a fluke [I tell you]!
(Kaylinas rides back into the scene.)
Kaylina: How’s that, Neifel!

Randia’s son; is a good strategist when he isn’t being distracted by hitting on beautiful women.

dotchan fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jun 26, 2021

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

dotchan posted:

[imghttps://lpix.org/4002341/015.png][/img]

Got a small error here.

Not sure what our heroes are going to do about a boat since every time this comes up everyone acts like the one they had was literally the only distance-capable boat on the continent so presumably nobody even knows how to build one, but I'm sure they'll work something out.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

Polsy posted:

Got a small error here.

Whoops! Thanks for the catch.

quote:

Not sure what our heroes are going to do about a boat since every time this comes up everyone acts like the one they had was literally the only distance-capable boat on the continent so presumably nobody even knows how to build one, but I'm sure they'll work something out.

I think its uniqueness is in both its seaworthiness and speed. There apparently is a land route from the Empire to Fersaria, it's just not considered very hospitable territory.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

The burned ground is considered more difficult terrain than the surrounding grass, and several of the creatures in the lower left hand corner can fly, but that ends up working in my favor since my high movement knights draw some aggro away from Claus, whom I sent in that direction in order to check out the shop.

In this stage, Varakana learns a special ability that he can use; I haven’t bothered sciencing the exact conditions, but I think it involves being at low health. Using it for the first time gets some dialogue:

Varakana: My magical power hasn't diminished yet…
Leard: V-Varakana…
Varkana: It’s fine, Leard. I can use this power for a bit. If I ever lose control of myself due to overuse, Leard…[please] kill me without mercy.
( :ohdear: I hope this isn’t loading some sort of Checkhov’s gun...)

The southern shop offers healing items for sale as well as the ability to hire trench diggers and triggers an ambush to the east.

The northern shop sells thunder swords (it has the same attack power as the broadsword I purchased previously for Leard and I don’t know if elemental damage is a thing in this game so I just get one for Varkana and Shifel), ice lances (an upgrade for Kai/Kaylinas), holy rods (Elia already has this), and fire rods (Neifel already has this); I also find out that it actually is possible to sell/discard items. On turn 10, reinforcements march in from above. I don’t stick around long enough to see if more than one set of reinforcements show up. I feed the objective--a squishy wizard--to Shifel.

Video link

Neifel: Alright, now we can capture one of these guys and [loving finally] ask about King Arc!
(It’s a good thing this is a video game, because otherwise a random grunt who’s been stationed in the middle of nowhere for who knows how long really shouldn’t be expected to have this sort of information.)
Eris: Neifel, please watch your language!
(One fade-in/fade-out later, an enemy unit has appeared in the middle of the party.)
Kai: Phew...I was only able to capture one person.
Shifel: Hey[, you]! Where’s my Father--[I mean] King Arc?! Answer [me]!
Imperial Soldier: Your Highness, when asking someone for something, you should say “please”. :smug:
Varkana: You don’t have to talk if you don’t want to. [In fact,] I know several ways to make you stop talking. Shall I try some?
Imperial Soldier: *screams* G-got it, [I’ll] talk, [I’ll] talk.. King Arc and his entourage are probably imprisoned in the [most secure] Imperial fort. I don't know the location, but they can’t be anywhere else; that fort has been part of the plans to invade Fersaria for a long time. The Imperial Army's vanguard should have already landed here by now. !! Don't glare at me with such a scary [look on your] face! Didn't I tell you everything I knew?
Altaba: [That’s] enough! This is how I look normally! How rude!
Kaylinas: Hey, [so] where is this Imperial vanguard [now]!
Imperial Soldier: I-I’ve gone to a place called the Eastern Sands…
Neifel: “Sands”[, huh]? That’s where the White Dragon Tribe lives!
Kaylinas: No way...could the Empire really want a White Dragon on its side?
Kai: We’ve been deceived…[we thought] the Dragons to be strong but simple[-minded]...
Leard: Let’s also go to the Sands. We might be able to get more information about King Arc there. Plus it’d be awful if the Dragon tribe [really] met up [and made an alliance] with the Empire!
Shifel: But...what if the White Dragons have already joined the Empire?
Neifel: Shifel, why are you such a pessimist!

:eng101: Dot's Footnotes About Moon Runes :eng101:
This isn’t the first time Neifel’s speech patterns have come up, but better late than never. In Japanese, register is baked directly into the grammar, with different verb conjugations and pronouns denoting different status levels. Japanese pragmatics generally expects people to be humble and self deprecating, but Neifel is inappropriately blunt and direct. She even uses “boku” to refer to herself, a pronoun usually used by men (young boys in particular), but the game renders that as katakana rather than the usual 僕 to highlight its unusualness (and perhaps imply that she’s using that specifically to scandalize people). If I were “localizing” this game properly I’d go back and rewrite all of Neifel’s dialogue to be more crass in general, but :effort:

Stage 7: White Dragon
Kai: I’m sure [the fort] is somewhere around here…
Claus: Did you take the wrong road?
Shifel: Don’t tell me you’ve actually been on the Empire’s side [this whole time]?
Neifel: Shifel!

(the party has now arrived in a desert buffeted by constant wind storms.)
Narration: The Sands...Fersaria’s only [active] volcanic zone...the White Dragons live here.

A nameless Imperial soldier who, upon interrogation, gives the party the information it needs to rescue King Arc.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

Everything except two units to the south will aggro towards the party if we get close, so I have everyone move more or less as a giant death ball.

A cutscene triggers once a unit advances westward far enough to trigger the first set of ambushes (marked with a red exclamation mark):

(A white dragon flies onto the screen.)
???: Oh no, oh no, oh no! [It’s] the villains who have been causing mischief all over the country! [I,] Rigid the White Dragon, will get rid of you!
Claus: *growls* What are you talking about? I’m not a bad guy!
Barnassus: Don’t listen to those awful people; they just want your mighty power for destruction.
Rigid: Hm, I see.That is indeed quite a threat, those scoundrels!
Leard: Man, isn’t this getting annoying?
Serena: I knew it, the Empire has tricked [the dragons as well].
Leard: ...in the end, am I going to have to fight the White Dragons?
Serena: It’ll be alright, I’m sure we can come to an understanding.
Rigid: Now, then, bring it! I, Rigid, on the side of righteousness, will defeat you!
(At this, Barnassus runs off; however, Rigid is not left to fight alone, as reinforcements will come in from behind him, though I’m not sure of the exact schedule I was able to drag the battle out long enough that two waves of enemies spawned.)

Rigid’s unusual verbal tic almost made me give up on LPing this game. How the hell am I supposed to parse something like this when I barely understand Japanese as is?

Rigid also has something to say the first time you defeat a unit in his presence…
Rigid: You’re [even] killing everyone!

I ended up not needing to fight Rigid at all, as simply targeting him was enough to trigger the end of the battle’s cutscene.

Video link

(Rigid finds himself surrounded by the party.)
Rigid: *growls* Good job taking out my brothers.
Leard: They were not on the side of justice; they were using you to take us down!
Serena: Please believe us, adorable little Dragon. We're not doing anything wrong.
Rigid: That’s a lie! You aren’t just trying to take over the nice places, but even this one! I promised King Arc that I’d protect this land; I won’t let you steal Fersaria[, either]!

(Flashback: while Rigid looks on, another white dragon clashes repeatedly against a green-tinted one in front of Arc’s castle until Arc approaches them from the south.)
Arc: [You] dragons...If you have no intention of destroying our country, leave this place at once! :getout:
Green: [We battle] because we have been adversaries since the era of the gods. Even if this is not their realm, we shall fight [nonetheless]!
Arc: Why do you fight? What is the reason?
White: We [white dragons] are beings of light. That one is a being of darkness. That’s all there is to it.
Green: And the instant we met, a deep mutual loathing rose in both of us! I can’t control it! That’s all there is to it!
Arc: I will not allow you to disturb Fersaria’s peace! Both of you need to pull back. If you really can’t stop, I’ll be your opponent!
White: I shall concede.
Green: ...I [suppose I] have no choice [as well]. I fear the holy sword that you wield. I don’t want to end up like the Demon King.
Arc: Is that all?
Green: There is no choice but to withdraw...farewell.
(The green dragon leaves; Rigid joins the other white dragon.)
White: Thank you; it seems you have helped me.
Arc: Don’t worry about it. I've just had a child [myself\, so I understand the hardships of having one.
White: Thank you very much. Now, let’s fulfill a request of yours.
Arc: Is that so? In that case, [please] guard the wilderness to the northeast of here. Do not allow any monsters or humans who would harm Fersaria entry..
White: I see. I shall guard this land. Once my life comes to an end, this child--Rigid--shall watch over it [in my stead]. Understand, Rigid?
Rigid: Got it!

(Back in the present…)
Shifel: I’m Arc’s child, understand?
Rigid: Now that you mention it, your scent is familiar to King Arc’s…a-are you for real!?
Leard: That’s what we’ve been saying…
Rigid: *screeches* What have I been doing…
Altaba: Don’t worry about it, kiddo. People...er, all beings will make mistakes, right?
Rigid: I feel bad...probably.
Serena: It’s fine. At bottom, you have a good heart, but you understand what [Altaba] meant with his words, right?
Rigid: Yeah...everyone makes mistakes.
Kai: What an odd, silly fellow...anyway, would you lend us your strength? [The Baaldeath Empire] got to you and has even imprisoned King Arc. We’re heading [there now]...
Rigid: I’ll go, I’ll go for sure!
Verkana: But we don’t have any [additional] intelligence on King Arc.
Leard: We can’t do anything about that [right now]...anyway, let’s go to the Empire and help King Arc!
Shifel: By the way, where are you going to get a ship?
Leard: Hm, what should we do?
Serena: I knew we should have thought of that [ahead of time]...
Kaylinas: I’ve got a good idea...since the Imperial troops are here, they’d have warships; we could [simply] hijack one…[but] hopefully we wouldn’t have to fight any naval battles…
Leard: That is a [pretty] good idea!
Leard: [So] where did the Empire land?
Kaylinas: It must have been at a harbor because we encountered such a large force [earlier].
Neifel: The western port town of Liddock!
Kai: If [the Imperial Army is at] Liddock, it must be because it’s far from the capitol and hard [for us] to monitor. Prince Leard, let’s head to Liddock [at once]. Imperial troops are very likely to be stationed there.

Stage 8: Recapture

(Narration: Liddock, as Fersaria’s only trade port, has been continuously flourishing, but the town that Kai and the others saw for the first time in a long while was one under the control of the Imperial Army.)
(The party, which now includes Rigid, file in from the south and spread out to take a look around.)
Kai: Before we knew it, this place was taken over by Imperial troops.
Shifel: Huh? There’s some people [over there] making a disturbance.
Neifel: Oh, looks like somebody’s being captured...
Leard: I don’t know who that is that the Imperials want, [but] I think it’s better to help.
Kaylinas: Looks like a lady [that’s in trouble]. Let’s go! I swear on my honor to help all the ladies!
Verkana: What a reckless guy.
Kai: [Still], let’s go help her before finding the biggest ship to claim.
Leard: I believe [the biggest ship] is the one on the right. Let’s keep the fight as brief as possible.
Rigid: I’ll lend a claw!
Altaba: [And] leave the ship to me! I’ll sail anything [that floats]!
Claus: I’ll keep that in mind whenever I see a ship.
Arc: Okay, Altaba, make a beeline for a ship! Get going!
(However, before anyone can move, the Imperial army has already chased their prey, a pink haired girl, right in front of them, and Kaylinas takes them out right then and there.)
Kaylinas: Hey, future girlfriend~~! This is Kaylinas, reporting for duty!
Neifel: [More like] Kaylinas the idiot…
Serena: Is Kaylinas okay?
Leard: Relax, he’s [just] in his own world [again]....
Kaylinas: Have [you] any injuries, little miss? My name is Kaylinas. What’s your name?
???: The name’s Doris.
Nefiel: Kaylina’s has weird tastes [in women]...
Kaylinas: [Please], this little miss will become a beautiful lady in [another] ten years! This is my “Daddy Longlegs Plan”!
Neifel: Daddy who?
Kaylinas: It’s a story from a distant country.
Leard: ANYWAY, [Doris,] why were [those people] after you? You look to be some sort of sorceress, but [I don’t want to assume]...
Doris: I’m not a sorceress, I’m a summoner. I defeat bad guys by calling spirits [to my aid]. I am Doris, the Super Pretty Summoner of Justice!
Serena: So why was the Empire after this “Doris the Summoner”?
Doris: I may have kinda sorta accidentally messed up a summon and blew away an Imperial Army captain who came to this city. They just wanted payback [for that].
Kaylinas: A kid summoner[, huh]?
Doris: How rude! Can’t you see I’m 16 years old? I’m [practically] an adult!
Kaylinas: 16? You look more like you’re maybe 8 years old[, tops]...
Doris: Shut up, shut up!
Varakana: Leard, hurry up and board a ship [already]! Reinforcements are coming!
Leard: Got it. Doris, hurry and get to a ship with us!

• Because I’m lazy and haven’t been paying 100% attention, I’ve been translating 船 inconsistently as “boat” or “ship” because it could mean either depending on context. This potentially frustrating lack of specific vocabulary for things that do have such distinctions in English pops up from time to time when localizing Japanese games; the one I can think of off the top of my head because I’ve played Final Fantasy Tactics quite a bit is the inconsistent use of both “mouse” and “rat” when it comes to Sand Rat Cellar since Japanese (and Chinese, which the Japanese borrowed to make kanji) classifies all rodents under the generic term 鼠.
  • Now that a new character has shown up, I might as well comment on some more pronoun usage. As a formally feudal nation whose social classes are still very stratified, using the right pronoun to signal your status relative to someone else is Serious Business . Doris uses うち, it’s generally used by women (especially in the Kansai district) to sound cute and it was especially popular after Urusei Yatsura, where female main character Lum uses うち as part of her verbal tic. Leard uses 俺, a pronoun that projects self confidence almost to the point of arrogance (though not as flagrantly narcissistic as 俺樣), a favorite of tough guys (both real and wannabes) as well as gangsters. Altaba uses ワス, which is something I’m not familiar with but it looks like a slangy version of わし, already a rather informal way of referring to oneself. The only other person whose pronoun usage jumped out at me so far was Neifel and I already talked about her.
  • What Kaylinas actually said was the “Kaguya Princess Plan”. What I know of the Kagyua Princess myth (she was banished from the Moon, gave impossible tasks to unwanted suitors, then returned to her home) doesn’t seem relevant to the situation at hand and Google isn’t helping very much so I don’t know why the reference is here so I just took a wild guess with an English equivalent. :shrug:

A young white dragon tasked by King Arc with protecting the Sands; good-hearted but a bit naive.
A nameless evil dragon chased off by Arc when he was fighting in front of Fersaria’s capitol.
Rigid’s unnamed parent, a good dragon who first took up Arc’s task in gratitude for resolving a centuries long duel with the evil dragon.
A young summoner on the run from the Empire.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

Rigid can attack from up to two tiles away and has an AOE spell that takes one turn to prime and blasts a t-shaped cone immediately in front of Rigid; Doris can attack or heal from melee with her default weapon and, when she has her other weapon equipped, can only attack from ranged but has an AOE spell that takes one turn to prime, has a range of 3 and an area of 5 x 5 tiles.

I didn’t really feel like exploring the map to see if it had any surprises and made a beeline for the boss after defeating all of the minions; he doesn’t have anything to say and packs a ton of magic defense to boot; none of my magic users can even scratch him with their AOE spells.

Video link

Leard:Altaba! Hurry up and get the ship out of here! They’re coming after us!
Altaba: Leave it to me!
(Altaba climbs aboard, and soon, the ship begins to vibrate, suggesting that it runs on some sort of engine.)
Claus: Ooh! It’s moving! It’s moving! The ship’s started to move!
Kai: Feeling a bit worried, huh…
Leard: Alright, let’s sail for the Empire!

Stage 9: Sea Battle

(Somewhere in the middle of the ocean, our heroes come face to face with a much larger Imperial battleship being escorted by two much more advanced-looking ships than the one we’re using.)
Leard: Kai, can you see anything up ahead?
Kai: Up ahead, huh? I see countless Imperial ships.
Leard: I knew it…
Alia: We don’t have any measures to deal with this. Not only are we at a massive numerical advantage, we are [total] amateurs when it comes to sea battles...we’re not used to fighting on a ship…
Kaylinas: This is my time to shine.
Leard: What sort of plan do you have [this time]?
Kaylinas: Please leave it to me. I dedicate this plan to the lovely Alia…
Alia: …..
Doris: Hey, h-hold your horses! We are not dying [here]!
Kaylinas: Got it. Everyone, please do as I say. There’s no other way of defeating the enemy.
Shifel: I can’t take it anymore. The Imperial Army is right in front of us…
Leard:Kaylinas, just give instructions and say [nothing else]. I will follow your directions.
Kaylinas: Got it, please leave it to me.
???: It’s been a while, Prince Leard.
Leard: It’s been a while, Weiss. Have you been well?
Weiss: I’m just peachy. What about [you,] Prince?
Leard: I’m also in good shape.
Weiss: Excellent! Your Highness, I’m sorry, but...orders are orders...don’t think badly of me.
Serena: You know this guy?
Leard: He’s my brother-in-arm; we studied swordsmanship under General Zoldein together.
Weiss: That’s right.
Leard: Was it General Zoldein’s orders? It can’t be helped, then, come at me with all you’ve got.
Weiss: No, it was a direct order from the Emperor [Himself].
Leard: That’s rough[, buddy]! Kaylinas, I leave it up to you!
Kaylinas: Altaba! Draw near to their [main] ship! We’re going to board them! The rest of you, get ready for hand-to-hand combat! As soon as we get alongside their ship, jump!
(As soon as Kaylinas gives his instruction, the party’s ship makes a beeline for the biggest battleship, circles around, and approaches it from behind; one fade-out/fade-in later, the party has boarded the ship.)

When talking to Weiss, Leard switches to ボク (i.e. the same pronoun Neifel uses) to indicate that he considers Weiss a peer.

The commander of the Imperial Navy, he studied with Leard under General Zoldein.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I've been playing through Farland Saga 2 again and it turns out I still missed a bunch of flavor text due to not having been thorough enough. :smack:

I will be not-so-secretly George Lucasing all of the posts this affects, making a note of which posts have new stuff in the table of contents, as well as link to said posts in my new updates.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

dotchan posted:

Rigid’s unusual verbal tic almost made me give up on LPing this game. How the hell am I supposed to parse something like this when I barely understand Japanese as is?

Yeah, the worst stuff is always when you have to already know what word they meant because a dictionary sure won't help you.

dotchan posted:

What Kaylinas actually said was the “Kaguya Princess Plan”. What I know of the Kagyua Princess myth (she was banished from the Moon, gave impossible tasks to unwanted suitors, then returned to her home) doesn’t seem relevant to the situation at hand and Google isn’t helping very much so I don’t know why the reference is here so I just took a wild guess with an English equivalent. :shrug:

This is probably just the part where they find her as a baby in a stick of bamboo and she grows into a beautiful woman, though 'girl becomes beautiful when she grows up' is a pretty generic thing to happen and feels like they just really wanted to put a reference in there.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

New content:
Farland Saga 2 Day 2/Day 3 update (also added a note to the Day 1 forum update but not the actual page because :effort:)

This is a very straightforward map; no gimmicks, special events, or ambushes; just kill everything without getting in each other's way, make your way to Weiss, and the battle ends as soon as any unit tries to attack him.

Video link

Weiss: That young man there is quite the tactician.
Kaylinas: Well, [I’m] not that good.
Leard: You’re finished, Weiss!
Weiss: The ones that are finished are you!
Leard: What do you mean [by that], Weiss?
(The ship begins to shake violently.)
Claus: W-what!? The sea’s gotten choppy all of a sudden!
Weiss: You folks aren’t used to fighting at sea, [so] you had no choice but to use a surprise close quarters assault. Still, you did the best you could.
Kaylinas: Weiss, your name and face has been carved into my memory! I will, I swear I will defeat you!
Weiss: I hope you stay alive [long enough to see that happen]! I look forward to [the day you can beat me]! Now then, sink [to the bottom of the ocean] along with this ship!
Leard: Ack!

Stage 10: Amnesia

(The scene fades back in on an unfamiliar shoreline.)
Narration: [Though] sunken by Weiss and his Naval attack, Leard and company fortunately [still] made land on a beach in Imperial territory.
Claus: Ugh, how awful...is everybody okay?
Serena: I’ve managed [somehow]...
Rigid: I have no problems flying; the lady here [with me] is fine too. I’ve protected her.
Serena: Thanks for helping me, adorable little dragon.
Rigid: Aw, now I’m embarrassed…
Kaylinas: By the way, where’s Prince Leard? I don’t see him [anywhere]...
Neifel: Prince Leard and I are both fine, but I can’t find Shifel.
Claus: I can’t find Kai or Altaba, either. Where’d they go?
Varkana: Everyone, calm down and make a [proper] headcount. Got it?
Rigid: Let’s line up.
(Some of the characters do so.)
Varkana: 9 people...the other members’ whereabouts are unknown...what a disaster…
(Leard spins about in confusion.)
Alia: Um, Prince Leard looks odd...he’s glancing about for some reason.
(Serena, Claus, and Varkana turn to look at Leard.)
Serena: Leard, what’s wrong? Did something happen?
Leard (after looking around again): [Who’s] ‘Leard’? Where am I? Who are you people?
Serena: Don’t tell me he’s lost his memory…
Verkana: Seems to be the case.
Doris: This is bad! I’m done for! I thought I could rely on Leard, but he’s got amnesia! This is awful!
Kaylinas: It’ll be fine! Prince Leard might have lost his memory, but for the time being we should focus on figuring out where we are and recovering the rest of the party.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

New content: Farland Saga 2 Days 4 - 8

This is a fairly straightforward map, though there are a few ambushes as you make your way down the narrow strip of land, and it was generally so brainless I stopped paying attention a couple of turns in and forgot to screencap the shops, oh well.

Shop 1 sells upgrades for Serena, Claus, and Alia (buy, buy, and buy), and a side-grade for Kai and Kaylinas (pass). Shop 2 has an ambush to the north and sells consumables that boost max HP, magic defense, and agility, and heal 40 HP (I pass on all of this); it’s also possible to hire ditch diggers and trappers (generics who do damage from up to 2 tiles away) here. Shop 3 are all full of sidegrades that I pass on buying.

Either on Turn 14 or once we’ve reached far enough south, reinforcements come in from the south. Then, eliminating all of the minions causes the boss to appear and the following dialogue plays:

Video link

(Another batch of troops ride into the scene.)
???: I’ve got good news for you. This is the coast of Daybeim, a country to the south of Imperial lands.
Varkana: You’re...Zoldein! Aren’t you supposed to be invading the Cead continent?
Zoldein: That continent has already been captured.
Varkana: [You] monster…
Zoldien: Aren’t you the monsters? No matter which is true, how lucky of me to run into Leard by chance after losing [sight of] him in the Empire.
Serena (as Zoldein walks forward): P-please wait! Leard has lost his memory right now. Leard’s teacher, please stop fighting [us]!
Zoldein: [I’m afraid] I can’t do that.[Precisely because] Leard is my student, even if he can’t hold a sword, [surely] he can find a way through.
Kaylinas: Dammit! Miss Serena, take care of Prince Leard! We’ll take care of this guy somehow!
Serena: Got it. Please [be careful]!
Zoldein: Hahaha, allow me to teach you the difference between you and me!
(Kaylinas rides in front of Zoldein and begins exchanging blows with him.)
Zoldien: What’s wrong? Can’t you defeat me!?
Kaylinas: No, way, that this guy is this strong…
Rigid: Keep away from this person!
Varkana: What a piece of garbage...

At level 24, Zoldein hits like a truck and will one-shot just about any unit on attack or counterattack, and another cutscene plays out if anybody on either side of the battle is defeated:

Video link

Leard: Ugh…
Serena: Leard! Are you okay!?
Leard: Where am I? Huh? Isn’t that [you,] Serena? What are you doing here? Master Zoldein? That can’t be! But, why…?
Zoldein: [So] you’ve recovered, Leard?
Varkana: Your memory’s returned, Leard!
Leard: Varkana, just what’s [going on] here?! That’s right[, I remember now]! The ship sank…
Varkana: [We’ll] talk later! Right now, all you need to think about is defeating the guy [right in front of you]!
Zoldein: [You,] defeat me? Don’t delude yourselves, it’s impossible for you to beat me.
Kaylinas: Prince Leard’s recovered! I finally see some hope of victory!
Leard: Master Zoldein! Please have a taste of my power!

Fortunately, Leard can do damage against this monster of a unit and the battle ends as soon as he does so.

Video link

Zoldien: You’ve grown up [some more], but this time I’ve missed [witnessing] it...see you later.
(Before anyone else can react, Zoldien walks south and out of sight.)
Claus: *barks* He ran away! He was scared of our potential and vamoosed!
Kaylinas: That doesn’t seem right. He was able to hold his own in a fight even with a broken sword; we could have been killed easily.
Rigid: I’m here, so we’d be fine, right?
Neifel: Did he challenge us just to reawaken Leard’s original strength...?
Serena: We have to find Sir Kai and the others [who are still missing]...

Stage 11: The Mercantile Nation Kindoya

Leard: This must be the mercantile nation of Kindoya.
Varkana: Of course, I wonder if the Empire has occupied it yet…
Claus: *barks* Enemy [forces]!
Rigid: Here they come!
(A stranger emerges from a house with Shifel following behind him.)
Neifel: Shifel? That’s you, isn’t it?
Shifel: Help me, Nefiel!
Merchant:This one’s 120 gold.
(Shifel spins in place and jumps up and down.)
Shifel: [What?] How awful, [I’m] cheaper than [even] a longsword.
Neifel: This bastard is a human trafficker!
(Neifel runs up to the merchant.)
Merchant: Help, I’m sorry--
(Without waiting for a reply, the merchant turns tail, runs back inside, and slams the door behind him.)
Shifel (turning to Neifel): I thought [you] was done for, Neifel…
(They walk together to join the party once again.)

:eng101: Dotchan’s Notes About Moon Runes :eng101:
I don’t know if, when there is no explicit pronoun, what the assumed subject of a sentence is in Japanese, so either Shifel could be expressing relief that Neifel is alive or glad that he’s not someone’s slave. :shrug:

Leard’s sword teacher and a ruthlessly powerful man, though he does have a soft spot for Leard.
An unnamed human trafficker who captured Shifel and tried to sell him to the party.

Bonus Game Over Screen:
Video link

Serena: Pull yourself together, Leard! Get up!

dotchan fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jul 7, 2021

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

New content: Farland Saga 2 Days 9-11

The enemies at the center of the map will aggro towards the party, but the ones directly above the party will stay put unless engaged; furthermore, on turn 8 and every 4 turns after that if each wave is defeated, reinforcements spawn in from the south and the west (as noted on the map with exclamation marks, and each point is considered separately when spawning, so if only one wave has been defeated when it comes time to have reinforcements, only that side will spawn new units).

Attacking the boss for the first time gets a taunt.

General: You guys are [still] alive, huh...then I shall [be the one to] stop you!

With my party spread thin to feed on the reinforcements and Leard two hits away from death, I save and load until Neifel fells the enemy with a lucky critical hit.

Video link

Serena: Just where are Sir Kai and Mr. Altaba…?

Stage 12: The Siege of Troiya

(A man in a nice hat stands within a city surrounded by Imperial troops.)
???: What!? Isn’t that Prince Leard!? I was told that he died…[if] the Empire has removed their military...it’s a siege! Strengthen the defenses! Then ask the Empire for reinforcements!
(The man runs into the fort at the center of the city.)
Leard: If we capture Troiya, the forces to the south of the Empire will be wiped out!
Varkana: Can we do that alone?
Kaylinas: I have reliable intelligence from “Kindoya” that Troiya’s main force has been dispatched elsewhere on orders from the Empire!
Claus: *barks* Today’s our chance!
Shifel: But if the intelligence is false…
Neifel: Not again, Shifel!
(The camera pans to the left to a shop, where Altaba is speaking to an old man.)
Altaba:I will help the people of this town.
Old Man: Please protect Troya from the Empire. My son’s also been caught up in the Empire’s wars…
(Altaba walks eastward to where the party is.)

Characters Introduced This Update:
An unnamed general of the Imperial army.
The king of Troiya.
An old man whose son has been drafted into the war.

dotchan fucked around with this message at 16:34 on May 21, 2021

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

New content: Farland Saga 2 Days 12-15

I send Altaba and Serena to tackle the southern shop and everyone else slowly makes their way to the northern ones, triggering the ambush marked on the map as they head in that direction.

The southern shop sells consumables that permanently boost stats and a consumable that brings back k.o.’d units, as well as offer hirelings if needed; I pass on all of this as I want to feed experience to my actual party members.

The first northern shop sells a sword I don’t need, an axe upgrade for Altaba and Docatti (but I only buy one because I have no idea when I’ll run into Docatti again), a ring upgrade for Serena (buy), and a rod sidegrade that allows Neifel to attack from both melee and ranged but has less magic power than her current rod (pass).

The second northern shop can only be reached by Rigid and sells a rod that Doris already has, a Lance that Kaylinas already has, and a restorative that heals 40 HP a pop. Even though I can only hold 65535 gold, I pass on buying anything.

The general guarding the way into Troiya has nothing to say to us, so I slowly peck away at his health while my mages throw magic over the walls to clear out the defenses in there. The battle ends when the general is defeated.

Video link

Leard: Hm, that’s the continent's most secure city for you! What a pain.
Claus: Man! There’s nothing I can do!
Leard: Kaylinas, what’s the plan? The Imperial reinforcements will show up if we don’t do anything.
Kaylinas: [Should I use] this strategy or that one…?
Nefiel: It’s always ‘this one or that one’ [with you]!
Kaylinas: True...blah blah yadda yadda…
(This isn’t me being lazy, this is the actual game dialogue.)
Leard: What!?
Rigid: Are you serious?
(Fade to night. A giant wooden horse has appeared in front of Troiya because of course that’s the plan.)
Narration: That night…
(The man in the nice hat walks out of the inner fort to the main gate.)
???: Huh, what on earth is this? [Looks like] Leard[‘s threat] was without teeth and he ran away...but what’s with this wooden horse? Let’s move it into the city for the time being!
(With the idiot ball glued to both of his hands, the nice hat man takes the wooden horse into Troiya; as soon as he closes the gates, the party bursts out of the Trojan horse like clowns coming out of a clown car.)
???: Oh, no, it was a trick! You think you can do this without consequence!? Kill me and the Trojans will kill you [in turn]!
Leard: I’m not going to do [anything like] that! I just wanted to talk to you! I’d like you to stop enabling my father Nereid’s ambitions!
???: Enabling? Wrong, I’m under orders! Troiya is the south’s strongest country and yet [still] no match for the Empire. A rebellion would cost the precious lives of my people. Are you serious about going against the Empire?
Serena: Watch me dance...this dance that communicates our feelings...
(Serena does her thing.)
???: I see, so you are serious...I get it. I’ll take the gamble.
Leard: Thank you, King Paris.
(Of course his name is Paris. Why am I not surprised!)

Stage 13: The Snow Kingdom Genebia

Narration over a snowy mountain: The Empire didn’t hide [word of] Leard’s actions [but] organized a punitive action against him.
(The party rides onto the scene from the south.)
Kaylinas: It doesn’t look like the Imperial Army is here [yet]. [Since] it’s [so] cold outside, why don’t we spend the night in this little hut here?
Claus: *barks* Aye! I’m starving!
Leard: You really do just eat [a ton]...
Claus:I eat [that much] because I’m [still] in puberty!
Serena: Me and Leard are the same age [as you]...you’re still in puberty? That’s quite a growth period…
Claus (jumping up and down): *barks* Miss Serena’s so mean!
Altaba: I’m chilled to the bone as well.
(The characters enter the cabin. One scene transition to night later, Leard and Varkana have come outside either as part of the regular watch rotation or just to chat).
Varkana: Do you remember that town [over there]?
Leard: Yeah, it’s where we met for the first time.
(Flashback, complete with sepia filter and reused assets. Leard and Serena approach Verkana from the south as he walks into scene from the west.)
Verkana: Well, let’s have ourselves some souls…
Leard: Who are you? Not much of a talker, huh…?
Varkana: S-silence! I was wrong when I assumed I’d miss being alive--I’d rather be dead!
Leard: This is payback!
(Leard and Varkana have a tense stare off for a moment.before backing off.)
Serena: Please wait! (she walks up next to Varkana) ...your heart bears such deep sorrow it is spilling out…
Varkana: [I’m warning] you…
Leard: Serena?
Serena: Separation from family...persecution...and then, loneliness...
Varkana (backing away): S-stop talking! Shut up! Shut up, woman!
Serena: How tragic, that you grew up in loneliness, without knowing the kindness of another.
Varkana: Stop talking, I beg of you…
Serena: Please watch me dance. I may be able to grant you some strength; perhaps lesson your loneliness even a little...
(Serena spins to win, while I make grumpy old lady noises about how her powers have been vaguely defined just enough so they can be used to hurry every plot along--in this case, even retroactively--but of course wasn’t any help in avoiding this whole mess to begin with. I hope this game’s writing is better than “we beat the poo poo out of the Emperor and then Serena used her Solve Everything Dance on him” but I’m not exactly holding my breath.)
Varkana (walking forward): My heart…[it feels] warm...but it doesn’t feel bad...
Leard: Serena’s kindness has flowed into your heart thanks to her dance.
Varkana Is this the kindness of others?
Serena: If you like us, let's be friends and lessen your loneliness as much as possible…
Varkana: You guys...thanks. My name is Varkana. As you can see, I’m a demon…
Leard: I’ve made quite the rare friend, huh…now that I think about it, my oath-brother is also nonhuman--he’s a beastman.
Varkana: You aren’t afraid of me even if I’m a demon? I...
Serena: You are a wonderful demon. We’d be glad to be friends with you.
Varkana: I’m so happy I don’t know what to say...what is someone supposed to say at a time like this?
Leard: That reminds me, though you told me your name I have yet to tell me yours...I’m Leard. She’s Serena, my childhood friend.
Varkana: “Leard”[, huh]...
Leard: That’s right. Now we’re friends.
Varkana: Friends? That sounds nice…
(Back in the present.)
Varakana: After that, I found out that you were a crown prince of the Empire...it sure surprised me to hear that.
Leard: Why? I’m always told that I don’t act like a prince.
Varkana: I think you’d make a great Emperor.
Leard: But I’m a criminal now…
Varkana: *laughs*
(The screen begins to shake more and more intensely before fading to white. Once it fades back in, Leard and Verkana are face down on the ground, the cabin behind them having disappeared. Then, Leard stands up, looks around, and walks over to Verkana. While Leard helps Verkana up, enemy troops flood in from the northern side of the screen.)
Barnassus: You’re still alive? What a shame.
Leard: Barnassus! Why, you!? (turns around) E-everyone?!
Barnassus: Well, then, shall we finish things off?
Varakana (walking forward): I’ll send you to the other world even [if I have to do it] alone.
Leard (coming up next to him): Hold up, Varakana, you’re going too fast.
(Kai rides in from behind Barnassas.)
Leard: Kai!
Kai: Sorry for being so late; I got launched to a distant island. I figured I’d find you so long as I shadowed the Imperial Troops, so I followed Barnassus.
(The rest of the party catches up from the south as well, causing Leard, Varkana, and Kai to turn around.)
Leard: Everyone!
Kaylinas: Oh, dear...all of a sudden, the hut got carried away by an avalanche, whatever were we to do? But please don’t worry, everyone’s fine.
Doris: What? The enemy’s here? Okay, leave it to me!
(Doris walks forward a bit, spins once, and jumps. After the screen flashes a few times, a blue-haired woman in Japanese-style robes appears and spins in place.)
Doris: Huh? Did I mess up again?
???: Where is this?
Kai: You must be Miss Snow, right?
??? Sir Kai?
Kai: Yeah, she fought [with us] 20 years ago. But what’s wrong?
Doris: It’s because of my summon.
Kai: That’s right! Miss Snow is a snow elemental! Doris must have caused her to appear with her botched summoning spell.
Doris: Sorry, I panicked…
Snow: You’re pretty polite...as an elemental, I have no [motal] lifespan. I can be of service to anyone.
Kaylinas: A-ahem...Sir Kai, introduce me to this lady as well…
Neifel: [This is] Kaylinas the Idiot.
Barnassus: I’m at a disadvantage now, so time to regroup!
(Barnassus flees the scene.)
Leard; Wait, Barnassus!
Doris: What a stubborn guy!

The snow maiden who helped Arc in his quest all those years ago, reawakened thanks to Doris botching a summon.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

New content: Farland Saga 2 Day 16, Day 17 Additionally, Farland Saga 1 and 2 have also been collated into one mega-update on Google Docs with easily navigated bookmarks (and the other FS series titles will join this document as well). That way if the perfectionist bugs bites again and I feel the need to twiddle with something, I’ll just poke about there rather than on the forums.

The continually falling snow means everyone except Rigid and Snow has a drastically reduced movement range. And since Snow can attack (and counterattack) from both ranged and melee as well as with an AOE magic spell, she will be getting most of the EXP on this stage. Hopefully she gets to stick around this time; if not, I’ll replay this stage offscreen and feed the EXP to Rigid.

The first shop sells lance upgrades for Kai and Kaylinas (buy), a rod Alia already has (pass), a rod worse than what Neifel already has (pass), and curatives that heal 40 HP a pop (I buy a couple for Rigid, Kaylinas, and Claus to hold).

If any unit reaches middle of the stage (or somewhere thereabouts), this triggers a cutscene:

Video link

(A winged woman runs out of shop #2 being pursued by enemy soldiers, only stopping when she’s surrounded on both sides.)
???: *screams*
Leard: That woman’s trapped...looks like we’ve gotten caught up [in something again]...
Serena: Don’t just stand around, hurry up and help!
(Kaylinas rides up and defeats the two enemy soldiers.)
Kaylinas: [You’re] as beautiful as Miss Serena...I’d like to have a serious relationship [with you].
Shifel: Kaylinas [is being] a womanizer like always…
Leard (to the woman): Are you injured?
???: I’m fine.
Leard: I will lead you to safety, so for the time being, please stay as close to us as possible. Oh, yeah, your name is…?
???: My name is Sacress. I can use a bit of magic; please allow me to fight together.
Serena: It’s too dangerous; you shouldn’t.
Kaylinas: It’ll be fine. We could always use anyone who can use magic. It wouldn’t be any problem for her to join us.
Doris (walking up behind Kaylinas): The truth is, so long as you’re a woman, it’s fine with Kaylinas!
Kaylinas (turning around): How rude!
(Sacress walks up to Leard.)
Sacress: *chuckles* “Leard”...what a nice body...what a nice name…
Leard: Uh...um...that is…
Neifel: What a weird turn of events, right, Serena?
Serena: Don’t ask me!

The stage then continues with everyone plus the new party member just south of the middle shop. Sacress is a Siren, so she can fly. She can either attack from melee or refresh one ally’s movement (also from melee) depending on which weapon she has equipped.

The second shop sells a sword upgrade for Arc, Varkana, Sacress, and Shifel (buy), an axe that I already got for Altaba in the previous stage (pass), and a lance that is identical in attack power to what I already bought in the previous shop (pass), as well as offers trench diggers and trappers for hire (pass).

The third shop doesn’t offer anything new so I skip buying any of that. (It also turns out I’d missed screencapping it and the last save in this stage is too far back to bother replaying just for this. :effort: )

The boss taunts us with “Come [at me], fools!” I was hoping to soften him up and feed the kill to Sacress but Kai ended up one-shotting him.

Video link

(A soldier walks up to the party.)
Soldier: Prince Leard has inspired rebellions all over the Empire, but in response the Empire has thoroughly suppressed them. My homeland of Paracelsus has also risen in rebellion, but the Empire has struck back and now [Paracelsus] has holed up in their castle. Prince Leard, please save Paracelsus castle!
Leard: Paracelsus has also risen in rebellion, huh...that’s Serena’s homeland [as well]...I can’t abandon it...
Kaylinas: But the situation isn’t optimistic. From what [my] messengers tell me, it’s surrounded by veritable walls of people and mere moments from falling.
Rigid: We'll push through!
Doris: That’s right! I’ll use my greatest summons!
Neifel: We’re not going to abandon Paracelsus.
Verakana: [Then] it’s decided.
(Doris, Altaba and Leard turn to look at Serena, and she in turn spins around to look at everyone.)
Serena: Thanks, everyone.
Shifel: But [since] it’s on the verge of falling, it could already be too late.
Neifel: Shifel!
(I can’t help but think the party’s forgotten something...nah, I’m sure it’s not important.)

Stage 14: The Deadly Fight [Over] Paracelsus Castle

(A city surrounded by troops.)
Narration: Thanks to Leard’s initiative, rebellions have arisen all over the Empire, making it no longer possible to focus its forces on Leard. However, the rebel forces were [quickly] swept aside. The magic kingdom Paracelsus saw this as a chance [to break free] and fomented a large-scale rebellion against the Empire. In return, the Empire surrounded [Paracelsus], and it is now in danger of total destruction.
(The camera pans north from here to show Leard and company.)
Narration: Leard has advanced to aid Paracelsus. There, they see a veritable wall of Imperial troops surrounding Paracelsus castle.

- A Siren who joins the party after being rescued and intrigued by Leard.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

dotchan posted:

[timg][/timg] An unnamed human trafficker who captured Shifel and tried to sell him to the party.

Late but there's no image here

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

Polsy posted:

Late but there's no image here

Whoops, thanks for the catch!

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I send Rigid and Sacress down the eastern side of the map to see what’s in the southeast shop while everyone else crosses the bridge and slowly makes their way down the other way. On turn 6 and every three turns after that, reinforcements march in from the area just past the northern bridge: on the first wave, 9 units march in, and after that, more units only spawn to replace any that were defeated.

The east shop sells a consumable that heals 40 HP a pop and offers trench diggers and trappers for hire. I fill up Rigid’s inventory with those since he’ll usually be racing ahead of the party.

The west shop sells weapons I already have, so I pass on buying any.

A cutscene starts as soon as any unit passes through the gates of Paracelsus:

Video link

(Fade to black.)
Leard: We managed to sneak in somehow!
Sacress: Oho~Prince Leard is amazing!
Serena: …..
King: Thank you very much...as you can see, this castle is like a [lit] candle in the wind…
Kaylinas: This is where the [real] fight begins…
Leard: Kaylinas, what’s the plan?
Kaylinas: This plan is dedicated to Miss Sacress.
Sacress: Oho~thanks.
Kaylinas: Looking at the lay of the land around this castle, the river that flows from the lake at the top of the hill must have been dammed. If we destroy that dam, the water will flood around the castle and wash the enemy away.
Leard: But how are we supposed to break through the siege!?
Kaylinas: That’ll be Serena[‘s job].
Serena: Okay.
Kaylinas: Hold the enemy’s attention with your dance. While that’s going on, Prince Shifel and the wizards of Paracelsus will sneak out of the castle. Then, the wizards will work their magic on the river.
Shifel: Huh?!?
Wizard: Got it!
King: Are you sure your health will hold up, Master Aldenara?
Altaba: Whaat!?! [You’re] that Master Aldenara, the legendary summoner? *squeals*
Doris: To think that you were in a place like this! I’ve been looking for you--make me your disciple!
Alia: Doris, you’re being rude!
Kaylinas: If you’d please, Master Aldenara…
King: At Master Aldenara’s age...well, your magic is still top-notch, but...ah, *coughs*
Kaylinas: [The success of] this mission will rely on Prince Shifel.
Shifel: Why me!? I can’t, this responsibility is too much!
Neifel: Shifel! You have to give it your all, or everyone’s gonna die!
Shifel: But…
Doris: Big bro, this is your chance to be a man.
Altaba: It’s up to you, Shifel!
Rigid: I’ll go with you! Prince Leard, ride on my back!
King: That reminds me, the treasury has a saddle specifically for [riding] dragons!
Varkana: Dragon rider!
Claus: *bark* Cool!
Shifel: ...got it.
Leard: Okay, let’s put this plan in action!
(Back to the outside of the castle. Serena walks outside, drawing several contingents of soldiers toward her and begins to dance. While that’s going on, Leard joins her.)
Leard: Shifel, it’s all on you!
(Shifel, Rigid, Neifel, Alia, Snow, Doris, and Aldenara exit out the backside of the castle northward; the rest of the party joins Serena and Leard up front.)

The characters address Aldenara using the honorific “sensei”; in the real world, this is usually used to address teachers and anybody with a PhD, and while I don’t think the world of this game accredits its wizards and sorcerers with degrees, that does make for a pretty amusing mental image.

And so begins the second portion of this stage. I have Serena switch into the healer role and try to feed Sacress weakened enemies as much as possible. Ambush units spawn in the forest, so I keep the party close together.

I’m not sure what triggers it, but eventually another cutscene plays (for me it happened on turn 17):

Video link

Verkana: I’m at my limit.
Leard: Shifel still hasn’t…
Kai: I’m sure Prince Shifel will succeed!
Serena: I hear something...what’s that sound…?
(A rumble grows louder and louder until a huge wave sweeps across the entire screen, which then fades to black; when the scene fades back in, the enemy troops are gone save the objective and three minions.)
Claus: *barks* You did it[, Leard]!
Kai: You did it, Prince Leard.
(Shifel and company file in from the last side of the screen while the ones who stayed behind look on.)
Kaylinas: This time, I’m also sure that--
Neifel: You’re always like that! Good job, Shifel! You’re a [grown] man now.
Shifel: Sorry, sorry, enemies were lying in wait at the lake. It took me a while!
Rigid: But I took care of that!
Kaylinas: ...but [I wonder] why were there enemies lying in wait at the lake?

The remainder of the party rejoins at this point, but Shifel and Rigid have now merged into a single unit that averages all of their stats that retains Rigid’s ability to attack from ranged and use his AOE breath attack; to make up for this, Aldenara also joins up as another caster with an AOE spell.

I probably should have done this on stage one, but better late than never: moving the cursor over a unit and pressing the middle button on the controller brings up their stats:
Name (in this case, Shifel)
Class (in this case, Lord)
Level (out of a maximum of :iiam: )
Attack (determines how hard a weapon-wielding unit attacks)
Magic (determines how hard casters attack with their weapons and spells)
P[hysical] Defense (defense against physical attacks)
M[agical] Defense (defense against magic attacks)
Agility (determines the chance to dodge incoming attacks)
Movement

The general hits like a truck against units near his level, so I weaken him with Claus and feed the kill to Serena.

Video link

King: Thank you very much. Now we can move against the Empire in earnest.
Aldenara: Your Majesty, I would like to go with Prince Leard.
King: Are you sure you’ll be alright?
Aldenara: The world is in danger! I can’t stay put! Is that alright with you, Prince Leard?
Leard: Yes, I was about to ask you [to come with me] as well.
Doris: *squeals* Teach me summoning magic!
Alia: Doris!
Leard: Have you heard of the Kentonay tribe[, Your Majesty]?
King: They are a holy tribe that lives in the valley to the north of here. The Kentonays have been famous dancers for generations...it can’t be [that]...
Serena: I am a Kentonay.
King: I see, you are...please go to the village in the eastern valley.
Leard: [Why] the village in the valley?
King: The Kentonay tribe live in that village in the woods.
Leard: I see, thank you very much.

Stage 15: [The] Kentonays

(The party comes across another winged woman, this one faceplanted into the ground.)
???: U-ugh…
(To nobody’s surprise, Kaylinas rides up to her.)
Kaylinas: What a beauty! Are you alright, miss?
(The woman gets up and looks around.)
???: ...take that! Die!
Kaylinas: Hold on, hold on, calm down…I'm on your side!
???: ……..I am Shunally, the elf who guards these woods.
Kaylinas: Shunally, huh? What a beautiful name! How nice!
Neifel: [He’s] socializing [again]...
Kaylinas: You can relax; I’m here.
Shunally: Don’t act like you know me!
Kaylinas: Haha, a tough one[, eh]?
Serena: Why isn’t there anyone in these woods?
Leard: Where have the Kentonays gone?
Shunally: About that…
(Barnassus comes in from the north.)
Barnassus: Allow me to answer [that question]...
Kai: Barnassus!
Barnassus: [I’m afraid] a great calamity has befallen the Kentonays because they refused to obey Lord Gibogera.
Serena: [You’re] awful…
Shunally: Unforgivable!
Barnassus (looks around): See you next time.
(The camera follows Barnassus as he retreats north and then west, revealing several companies of enemy troops, before returning to the party.)

- The King of Paracelsus
- The most prominent summoner in the land.
- The guardian of the woods where Serena’s tribe once lived.

dotchan fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jun 15, 2021

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

This is another map where it takes a while to go anywhere, as the non-flying allied units have to navigate the low movement hill and forest tiles, which also contain ambush units. Fortunately, Shifel now has a special ability either as a result of leveling up or class changing in the previous stage that he can use at full health and Shunally is an archer.

The first shop sells nothing I don’t already have except for a new rod for Alia (though I also top off on healing items) and offers trench diggers and trappers for hire (I pass on those).

The second shop offers upgrades for Leard, Varkana and the lance users as well as a consumable that boosts movement by 2. I buy as many of the consumables as I can afford and distribute them among my slower units.

Attacking the objective for the first time gets the following dialogue:
General: Heh, you’re too late. I’ll kill you like [I did] the villagers!

I feed the kill to Snow.

Video link

Kai: Are there any more clues to the “Dance of Destruction”?
(Doesn’t Serena already know it, and that’s why the Emperor had her brought before him at the beginning of the game?)
Serena: This is...this tree!
Leard: What about it?
Serena: I can feel an incredible strength emanating from this tree…
(A bright green light flashes twice.)
Leard (as his vision begins to white out): Ack...
Altaba (likewise): We’re being pulled in--
(The entire screen fades to white for a moment before returning to an empty scene.)

Stage 16: The Dance of Destruction

Claus (over a black screen): Huh? Where are we?
Serena (likewise): Inside the tree…

(As a familiar tune plays, the scene changes to a palace where earth and sky don’t seem to have any meaning and the air is saturated with magic. A mysterious being appears before Serena and Leard.)
???: It’s been a long time, Serena.
Serena: Who are you?
???: Has your memory not been restored?
Serena: [My] memory…?
???: Listen with your heart…you are the Kentoay chieftain’s daughter. In order to protect you and hide you away from the enemies, we removed your memories and sent you away from the village to a neighboring one because it was prophesied that we will have been destroyed by the Empire today.
Leard: [Who’s this] “we”? You’re not [aligned with] the Empire, are you?
Serena: I am…
???: The Dance of Destruction is a [divine] covenant made with the gods. They will lend you their power so you can dance it properly.
Serena: Then please teach me [how to make this covenant]...this Dance of Destruction is what the Empire wanted to get, right?
???: Very well….a violent chimera dwells not far from here. I shall teach you once you defeat it.
Serena: I see. I’ll do it.
???: The chimera is strong. It’ll be quite the challenge.
(With that, the being disappears.)

An unnamed general of the Imperial Army.
The spirit of the sacred tree guarded by the Kentonay tribe.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

The party starts out scattered all across the field, but Serena can heal and keep Leard alive if necessary; everyone else can more or less be left up to their own devices so long as they all can defeat the killer bees in their path (harder than it looks, since they have quite a bit of evade) and head toward the objective.

The boss taunts us when targeting him for the first time:

Video link

Chimera: Here we go again…how many of you have there been that I’ve defeated now? I forget. Is the “Dance of Destruction” that wonderful?
Serena: …...I don’t know. We came here to find out.
Chimera: *chuckles* Ooh, how scary, a daredevil. Come at me all you like!
Leard: Serena, stay back! This looks tough. Got it?
Serena: ...got it. Be careful...

The chimera doesn’t do anything on his turn, but not only is he level twenty, I’m pretty sure the game cheats so that he takes no damage from anything and his counterattacks hit like a truck. Just testing out his defenses killed one of my units, yielding more dialogue:

Video link

Varkana: What [the hell] is this thing!? None of our attacks have any effect!
Chimera: What’s the matter? Is that all?
Shifel: [You] bastard!
Claus: *barks* Do we not have the teeth [for this]!?
Leard: There has to be a weak spot somewhere...but where….?
Serena: Don’t! Everyone will die [if we keep going like this]...I have to come up with something…!

The fight ends once Serena targets the Chimera with a physical attack.

Video link

Serena: It’s no good! My current dance can’t defeat it...but if I make a new covenant, dance a new dance...Leard!
Leard: What!? What’s wrong, Serena!
Serena: I’m going to try a dance on that thing…
Leard: Got it! Everyone, get out of Serena’s way!
(One fade out/fade in later, only Serena is standing in front of the Chimera while everyone else looks on.)
Chimera: You’re gonna face me alone now, huh?
Serena: I shall bet my life on this dance! If my thinking is correct…
Chimera: So you’ve decided to dance, huh?
(Serena gives off sparkles as she jumps up and down. The screen then transitions to the usual battle animation, in which Serena perfectly executes the Dance of Destruction and one-shots the Chimera from full health.)
Chima: *roars in pain*
Serena: ...this is...the Dance of Destruction…
(The Chimera fades out of view, leaving the spirit that greeted the party in the previous stage standing there.)
???: Good job, you did it!
Serena: Lord Linus?!?
Linus: That is the Dance of Ruin which only belongs to you…
Serena: Lady Linus, just what [is] the “Dance of Destruction”...?
Linus: It is a dance that returns all [creation] to nothingness. It has the power to destroy the entire world...even the gods. We Kendonay have the duty to retain balance between the forces of good and evil. Should the forces from either side take over the world, we will perform the Dance of Destruction that has been passed down by our clan, destroying everything...our duty is to reset everything back to [the way it was in] the beginning.
Serena: With that amount of power in my hands, I’m worried that I...
Linus: I have been waiting in this tree for you for over 500 years. My duty was to tell you [all of] this. Now you are the heir to the Dance [of Destruction]. [Feel free to] dance properly at any time. That way, the dance shall surely respond to you.
(With that bit of dubious reassurance, Linus disappears, leaving Serena to contemplate that she is the fantasy equivalent of a nuclear deterrent.)
Serena: Lord Linus…

Stage 17: [Those] Poor Elephants

(The party is approached by Barnassus on an expansive plain.)
Barnassus: Looks like Miss Serena has learned the Dance of Destruction.
Serena: How did you find out?!
Barnassus: *chuckles* I’m just that knowledgeable! Come, Tiger Cub Elephant Troops! You’ll surely be entertained!
Leard: Tiger cub elephants?
Barnassus: Shut up. This war elephant unit is invincible. It’s over [for you]!
(Barnassus flies back to the north end of the map, where a huge army of elephant-riding troops are waiting. They spread out and move into position to attack.)
Doris: *screams* M-monsters!
Kaylinas: It’s another ambush…
Leard: How can they control that many monsters [at the same time]?
Alia: Those elephants are animals from a tropical country, not monsters. From what I’ve heard, they’re gentle giants.
Rigid: They’re as big as my mother!
Kai: Get stepped on and you’ll get squashed flat!
Shunally: Using animals for war...unforgivable!
(The camera pans back up to the war elephants.)
Elephant Rider: Charge!

An unnamed elephant rider.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

dotchan posted:

(Doesn’t Serena already know it, and that’s why the Emperor had her brought before him at the beginning of the game?)

Yeah, that's kind of curious, the opening scene doesn't really seem to make sense in that sense, given that even Serena implied she (probably) knew it. Well, I guess that part's all resolved now, anyway.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

The elephant riders only have a melee attack and their low movement means they engage the party a handful at a time, making it easier to attack them safely.

The southern store sells Shunally’s current bow (pass), a rod upgrade for Doris (buy), a claw upgrade for Claus (buy), and an axe upgrade for Altaba (buy).

The northern store sells a sword I already have (pass), a lance upgrade for my mounted units (buy), and some healing items (pass); it also has trench diggers, trappers, and chariotters (knights with high movement) for hire (pass).

Targeting Barnassus for the first time (or getting within his movement range) gets some dialogue:

Video link

Leard: Barnassus! Running away again?
Nefiel: Idiot! You can’t do anything by yourself, that’s no good!
Claus: *barks* Are you really that strong?
Shifel: [Or] are you just a big mouth?
Alia: You always turn tail [and run]!
Altaba: You are [so] not my type.
Rigid:Liar!
Kai: I could beat you blindfolded.
Kaylinas: How could you mess up this badly and still run away?
Barnassus: …[I’ll] kill [you]!

Barnassus has very high physical attack and can counterattack at ranged, making him dangerous to tackle. I feed the kill to Leard.

Video link

Barnassus: H-how...this can’t be...
Leard: You lost to your [own] emotions, Barnassus! You might know us very well but you don’t know anything about yourself!
Barnassus: *tries to chuckle but chokes and falls silent*
(Barnassus fades out of existence.)

Stage 18: Lodoss

Yes, the upcoming location shares a name with the titular island in Record of Lodoss War, same kana and everything. While I wouldn’t be able to say for certain, I’d still be willing to bet that the reference is intentional given how famous the series is in Japan..

Kaylinas: It’ll be difficult to capture the floating island city of Lodoss, what with the sea being in the way.
Altaba: Well, if I were at the helm, it’d be an easy win.
Kai: Easier said than done!
(The camera pans upwards to the objective, where a ship sails into port and Weiss disembarks.)
Weiss: Hahaha, how are you, Leard?
Leard: Weiss? You again? It’s over for the Empire! Don’t you know that rebellions are rising up everywhere?
Weiss: So what if there are! Today, I am protecting Lodoss as General Zoldein has ordered. If you want a fight, a fight you shall have--on the sea!
Leard: Dammit! I can’t beat Weiss at sea!
Atlaba: That ship--it’s my Silent Moon!
(Uh=oh. What does that mean for King Arc? :ohdear: )
Neifel: He must have stolen it!
Altaba: That sicko!
Shifel: Leave it to me.
Rigid: Leave it to me!
Leard: Shifel, wait!
(Shifel tries to fly close to Lodoss but is repelled by the enemy shooting boomerangs at him.)
Rigid: No good, we were targeted!
Kaylinas: There must be some way…
Kai: If we can connect to that island by land, the whole party can attack…
Leard: Yeah…
Shifel: That’s right! All we need to do is get rid of the sea!
Neifel: Hey, Shifel, don’t gently caress with me!
Kaylinas: No, that’s [a good] plan! We need to reclaim the sea around the island!
Alia: You can do such a thing?
Leard: [Could] Sir Aldenara’s power [be of any use]?
Aldenara: I...can’t use my power today…
Leard: ?
Kai: It may be possible with the help of the Mondadians!
Leard: Why not? It’s [an] original [idea], let’s try it!
Altaba: Before we do that, let’s defeat the enemies right in front of us!

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

This is a very small map with limited movement options, so I generally keep the party together.

The first shop sells a sword that is better than what Leard and Sacress have (so I buy two), the same harp Sacress already has (pass), a consumable that permanently boosts agility (pass), and a ring upgrade for Serena (buy); it also offers trench diggers, trappers, war elephants, and charioteers for hire (pass on all of that).

The second shop doesn’t offer anything I don’t already have, so I pass on buying anything.

The same goes for the third shop.

Defeating every unit we can reach up to this point without needing to fly and having at least one unit on either of the third shop’s two tiles triggers a cutscene:

Video link

Altaba: I’ll go ask the locals.
(Altaba walks into shop #3; a moment later, he and a handful of NPCs file back out.)
Altaba: Everyone [here] will help me.
Leard: Thank you! Let’s get started!
(The NPCs begin building a literal land bridge to Lodoss.)
Varkana: Only a little bit left!
Sacress: Oho~ Good luck, everyone~
(The land bridge completes with Altaba being part of the building effort, and he returns to standing in front of Leard.)
Leard: Truly, thank you, everyone! We will surely take down the Empire.
Weiss: No, Leard, let’s settle it right here, right now!
Leard: Wait, Weiss!

....and the entire party is gathered to the west to shop #3; Weiss has appeared in Lodoss as well. Leard fells him with a single use of his special ability.

Video links

Weiss: I give up, Leard. I fought the good fight…*coughs* it seems you have [found a] good [group of] friends...I, too, wished to have lived like you...farewell!
(Weiss dies.)
Leard: Weiss!!

Stage 19: Tunnel

(The party finds themselves in a mining tunnel filled with bottomless pits.)
Claus: *barks* This sure is an old-looking tunnel.
Leard: If you go a little further, you will find the city. Be careful, everyone.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

The bottomless pits are impassable terrain even for the fliers, making it a slow march to the top. An event fires once any party member moves north of that last unit; I’m not sure if all of the enemies need to be defeated first but I figured a bit of extra experience wouldn;t hurt.

Video link

(The party is gathered in front of the tunnel exit and are greeted by a familiar-looking sprite.)
Gibogera: *evil laugh* Long time no see, Prince Leard, Miss Serena.
Leard: Gibogera!? [So] it’s your turn to show up, huh?
Gibogera: No, no, my turn’s not [coming up] until later. Today’s main act is...this guy!
(An even more familiar sprite joins Gibogera in the tunnel. I wish I could say I totally foresaw this turn of events, but even I was caught by surprise as I was still expecting a different sort of dramatic rescue.)
Shifel: Father…? Why…?
Arc: …..
Kai: Your Majesty!
Aldeera: It’s no good, Gibogera’s controlling him.
Arc: ......
Shifel: Father!!
Gibogera: Oh, dear, let me get out of here before I get caught up [in this mess].
(Gibogera turns and flees.)
Leard: Gibogera! I won’t let you get away with this!

True to his status as the Hero King, Arc’s counterattacks hit like a truck; I oneshot him with Kai without entirely meaning to but I don’t entirely mind feeding Kai this experience so I push on.

Video link

Leard; …..
Shifel: Father, don’t you recognize me?
Aldeera: Now, Serena! Dance! Dance [with all your might]!
Serena: Got it! King Arc, I’ll release you from your spell.
Shifel: Father! Please, open your eyes!
(Serena walks up to Arc and dances her Dance of Plot Contrivance, causing Arc to draw back.)
Arc: *groans* S-stop it… *screams*
Kai: Your Majesty!
(King Arc spins around and begins to walk forward, at which point Serena returns to her original spot among the party.)
Arc (turning to face the party): *pants* Everyone…
Alia: Your Majesty!
Arc: Good job, everyone...
Kai: Your Majesty, where are your companions?
Arc: Locked up in that rock[y fortress]...
Kaylinas: My father, Randi…
Neifel: My father, Deino, and my mother, Elenoa...
Alia: And Sir Goddar, Miss Luceida, and Miss Arina...
Arc: That’s right...they were [captured] by Gibogera’s spells...I was taken by surprise and they were all…
Leard: Well, then, let’s help them all!
Arc: I’ll go as well!
Alia: You mustn’t, Your Majesty! You’ve received quite a bit of damage to your psyche, [and my] healing magic is completely ineffective against that.
Arc: I’d like the chance to restore my honor.
(I was all raring to have a battle with Arc in my party, except the rescue takes place entirely off-screen. One fade-out/fade-in later, the former heroes have already joined up with the new heroes.)
Deino: Stay alert.
Elenoa: Thanks for helping [us]...
Neifel: Father! Mother! I’m so glad you’re not hurt!
Deino: Neifel! You saved us!
Elenoa: Good job! I’m so proud of you!
Randia: Phew...
(I thought Randia was blonde? He had blonde eyebrows, at least.)
Kaylinas: Father, you’re alright!
Randia: Kaylinas, you saved me…
Godaar: You saved me [as well]...
Liesa: Somehow..
Arinia: I’m exhausted…
Shifel: Father, you shouldn’t [continue] fight[ing] in that state. Please, return to Fersaria.
Arc: You’re right, in my state, I wouldn’t stay on my feet [very long] even if I did go with Prince Leard.
Shifel: I shall take Father’s place!
Arc: Shifel...you’ve grown up. I wasn’t there to see it[, but]...I’m so happy. Well, then, I [also] leave the Holy Sword with you!
(There’s a brief pause, implying the exchange took place.)
Shifel: Father, I promise I’ll be back. Please wait for me.
Arc: Prince Leard, please take care of Shifel and his friends. I shall return to Fersaria at once, [as] I’d like to help you in any way I can.
Leard: Now it’s time to face my father...Emperor Nereid.
Verakana: Are you really going to war against your father?
Leard: Yes. I suspect he could be controlled by something.
Aldeera: …..

Stage 20: Oath-Brother

When it comes to any field of education in East Asia (but especially martial arts), your major/dojo/whatever is basically your family. Your teachers are your parents, your peers are your siblings, and so on up and down the master-apprentice chain. We’ve already met one of Leard’s “big brothers” in this sense--Weiss--so this stage title is suggesting the existence of a “younger brother” (not necessarily younger in age, but one who signed on to learn after Leard)..

Zoldein: It’s too late, Leard! I can’t wait [patiently] any longer!
Leard: I beg of you, General Zoldein, please assist me!
Zoldein: I have yet to be satisfied.
Leard: Why? It’s already over for the Empire! It’s no longer possible to suppress the rebellions springing up everywhere!
Zoldein: I am a general of the Empire.
Leard: Don’t you realize that father has changed?!
Zoldein: I don’t want to hear any more of that [nonsense].

- One of the former heroes who fought along Arc. Married Elenoa between games.
- Arc’s half sister; joined Arc’s second journey to save the world.
- A royal knight that has been serving the Fersarian royal family at least since Arc was a baby.
- An elf who joined Arc on his two journeys to save the world.
- A siren who joined Arc on his two journeys to save the world.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

The party starts out split into two sub-units with Alia on the eastern side, so I have Doris be the healer in the other group and start moving northward. On turn 5, Knights ride in from the southeastern corner.

Store #1 sells stat boosting consumable items (pass) and offers trench diggers, trappers, war elephants, and charioteers for hire; heading in that direction springs an ambush to the west

The northwestern store sells a harp upgrade for Sacress (buy), more stat-boosting stuff (pass), and an item that revives dead units (pass)..

The northeastern store sells lance upgrades for our mounted units (buy), a rod upgrade for Neifel (buy), Aldeera’s current staff (pass), and a bow upgrade for Shunally (buy); heading towards it spawns an ambush unit to the south.

If any unit other than Leard attacks Zoldein, he takes no damage and taunts us with:

Zoldein: I’m not interested in weak opponents!

I don’t feel like sciencing out alternate dialogue trees, so I just have Leard target Zoldein with his special skill.

Video link

Leard: I’ll overcome you!
Zoldein: That’s my line!
(Leard one-shots Zoldien from full health, earning a level up in the process.)
Zoldein: Wonderful, Leard! That’s the Break Storm [worthy] of the Royal Family…
Leard: General Zoldein! Master, I surely have the Break Storm committed to memory [now].
Zoldein: L-leard, the Emperor...our lord, [once] exalted, has changed...what [else] could I do... [but make sure] you mastered Break Storm…?
Leard: Just what the hell is Father [up to]...?
Zoldein: Beware Gibogera...that bastard…
(Zoldein’s sprite flickers and fades away.)
Leard: Master Zoldein!!

Stage 21: Imperial Capital Baal Palace

Narration: The Imperial Capital--Baal Palace--is a fortified city surrounded by solid walls, [forming] a formidable defense.
Serena: We’re finally back…
Claus: *barks* Feels kinda nostalgic.
Leard: But now I’m attacking it as an enemy [of the state]. The real battle begins here!
Kaylinas: The Imperial, Capital Baal Palace, huh? We’ve got no shortage of enemies!

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

This map is stupid huge for no good reason--I even had to scale it down so it’d fit in the upload limit. Most of the time was spent just moving my units up the left side of the map and then around so they could engage the units in the capitol; because the map is so big, I didn’t bother to see if any ambush units spawn in the lower right hand corner.

Shop #1 sells a ring Serena already has (pass), a rod upgrade for Alia (buy), and healing items (pass); it also offers trench diggers, trappers, war elephants, and charioteers for hire.

The northwest store sells a lance my knights already have (pass), a bow upgrade for Shunally (buy), a harp that Sacress already has (pass), and a staff upgrade for Aldeera (buy).

The store in town sells a claw for Claus, an axe I don’t need (pass), a rod upgrade for Neifel (buy), and full restores (I found out from an online walkthrough that this is the last map with a store, so I buy a couple just in case).

Targeting the green dragon sitting in front of the castle with any unit gets some dialogue:

Video link

Saitos: Hm? Is there a white dragon [among your ranks]? Unfortunately for you warriors, I [still] will not let you pass through here. Instead, I’ll be your opponent!
Rigid: A Green Dragon, huh? If you can’t overcome him, the great and almighty righteous dragon Rigid will triumph!
Saitos: White Dragon’s offspring? How naive.
Rigid: No, you’re the one who’s naive!
Leard: Fate, huh...deja vu...

I couldn’t seem to damage the dragon except on counterattacks, so I just left Leard sitting in front of him to get the kill.

Video link

Saitos: You’ve grown, offspring of the White Dragon...never forget your oath with King Arc...farewell!
(Given that this is the fourth time the “flickering away” animation has played, I think it’s safe to say that this is how the game depicts someone dying. After that, the camera pans to the west, showing a large contingent of reinforcements.)
Shifel: It’s no good, there are too many of them. There’s no way we can win.
Neifel: Shifel! Don’t you dare run away!
Kai: I've never seen such a large army…
Leard: Kaylinas, [what’s] the plan?
Kaylinas: ……
Varkana: Phew, so it’s finally come down to this.
Claus: *whimpers*
Rigid: It’s no good.
Altaba: It’s over!
Doris: This is bad!
Alia: Father…
Sacress: Oh no~
(The troops ride up to the outer gates of the capital and are about to storm in when…)
Arc (from offscreen, as the music turns heroic): Hold it! :objection: We’ll be your opponents!
(The enemy troops turn around and the camera pans down to show us what they’re looking at: the king of Paracelsus, Arc, Paris, Elenoa, Randia,Godaar, Docatti, Liesa, Arinia, Deino, and a handful of NPC knights and casters have assembled just in the nick of time.)
Leard: King Paracelsus! King Paris! And King Arc!
Shifel: Father!
Arc: Looks like [we just] managed to get here in the nick of time.
King Paracelsus: This is the final battle!
Paris: We chased down the Empire[‘s troops] all the way here...we shall assist as well.
Arc: Leave things up to us! Leard! Shifel! I trust you!
Elenoa: I’ll be able to keep up! Neifel, don’t lose!
Neifel: I know! I’m not gonna lose to the guys!
Deino: Just don’t get hurt…[I know] that’s a hard ask, because we’re fighting a war.
Godaar: *chuckles* I’m gonna go on a rampage!
Randia: It’s not time to lay down arms yet, Kaylinas; don’t besmirch the name of Fersaria’s knights!
Kaylinas: Understood, Father.
Docatti: Be careful, Alia.
Alia: Thank you, Father.
Liesa: I’m paying you back for [saving me] earlier.
Arinia: Leave it to me!
Leard: Thanks, everyone...now, then, let’s go into the palace!

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

Stage 22: Tarikaara

Either on turn 9 or after the party has moved far enough forward, ambush units spawn at the locations marked by the red exclamation mark and two more waves of replacements will spawn in every 3 turns after that.

An event fires after all the enemies are killed (though I’m not sure if “all” means only the units that were on the map at the beginning or this includes the ambush units)...

Video link

(Tarikaara enters from the northern hallway, accompanied by a general and 7 ninjas.)
Leard: Long time no see, brother.
Tarikaara: Leard...so you’ve finally arrived.
:Leard: Your complexion looks awful; are you still sick?
Tarikaara: *coughs* Thanks to my spy, I know [what] you[‘ve been up to] very well.
Claus: *barks* We have a spy among us? No way!
Tarikaara: But I didn’t think you’d come this far… *coughs*
Leard: Stop, brother! It’s useless to fight [here]!
Tarikaara: As the first successor to the throne...I have to defeat you!
Leard: Brother!
Tarikaara: Take this!

(Tarikaara leaves the entourage to deal with the party.)

...and the party is gathered together in a single group again near the top of the map. I don’t really take care to feed experience to anybody, as the units that are behind at this point are not going to catch up.

Video link.

(Tarikaara comes back out to face the party.)
Tarikaara: Apparently [we] brothers
Leard: Brother…
Serena: Stop! You’re brothers, don’t kill each other!
Tarikaara” Let’s go, Leard!
(In a flash of light, Sacress has appeared between the two brothers before they--swords drawn--can clash, and then collapses.)
Tarikaara: Sacress!
Sacress: *groans* I can’t...Lord Tarikaara...allow brothers to kill each other…
Leard: Why, Sacress!
Sacress: I....I l-love [you], Lord T-Tarikaara…
Tarikaara: Sacress! I love you as well…
Alia: So they were lovers, huh…
Tarikaara: Sacress is the spy sent to monitor your actions.
Kaylinas: So that’s how the Imperial Army got ahead of us…
Tarikaara: Leard, forgive Sacress; she, too, is a victim...she was under Gebogera’s orders to monitor your actions…
Leard: Sacress….
(Sacress dies.)
Tarikaara: Sacress, you saved me...but [now] there’s nothing holding you back [from moving on, Leard]. I, too, shall be free… *coughs*
Leard: Brother, I have so many questions for you…
Tarikaara: It’ll be okay. I will answer all of them… *coughs*
Leard: It’s Father!
Tarikaara: It’s useless, Leard! Even now, Father is refusing to listen to me [as well].
Leard: Leard…
Tarikaara: *coughs* Leard, the Emperor...Father...you must kill him…there’s no other way to save his soul...
Leard: Brother...just what happened to Father?
Tarikaara: Father, who once fought to protect [our] small nation of Val and, after losing Mother, to eliminate war from the land, has changed since Gibogera made him Emperor. When Gibogera started giving Father strange prophecies…*coughs*
Leard: Gibogera [again]!? Just what the hell is that guy?
Tarikaara: I don’t know, either…I’ve investigated both General Zoldein and Gibogera, ]but] they’re total mysteries…*coughs*
Tarikaara: Save Father…I have my responsibilities as the primary heir to the throne...
Leard: …...
Tarikaara: I admire you; you’ve always been so free…
Leard: [Actually,] I wanted to be like you, brother...I’ve always looked up to my kind and wise brother...
Tarikaara: Both you and I have gone overboard…
Tarikaara: Leard, I entrust you with this sword...so, stop Father...no, the Emperor...with that sword, Break Storm’s power will increase by leaps and bounds…
Leard: Brother...you have always been [so] kind...even when I ran away from the palace…
Tarikaara: Forgive me, Leard…[go ahead and] laugh at your miserable, helpless brother…
(Tarikaara collapses.)
Leard (walking closer to Tarikaara): B-brother!
Tarikaara: ……
Leard: BROTHER!!

Stage 23: The Emperor

(The party finds themselves in the throne room proper, blocked off from view by a wall that stretches almost all the way across the hallway. Thanks to the top-down view, however, we the viewer still see Gibogera approach.)
Leard: Is it finally your turn [to go down], Gibogera!?
Gibogera: Please, stop joking [around].Unlike you guys, I can’t [afford to] run...geez, what bothersome people.
Leard: What did you say!?
Gibogera: Oh, dear, I thought I understood you very well, but I guess I don’t one bit.
Claus: *growls*
Leard: I will take vengeance for those people you’ve manipulated by taking you down, [right here,] right now!
Gibogera: *evil laugh*
(Gibogera walks back towards the throne.)
Gibogera: Now, then, Your Imperial Highness, would you kindly show yourself?
(Okay, okay, that’s not what he actually said, but I couldn’t help myself. Anyway, the screen flashes, and a giant demon several times larger than even the gigantic throne appears on it.)
Emperor: We are the absolute ruler [of all existence]! We are the strongest and greatest! Only the gods can [so much as] touch Us!
Leard: Father, you’ve transformed into something weird…
Gibogera: *evil laugh* I got rid of that ugly human figure and gave [him] a wonderful body [instead]. His Imperial Majesty is now drunk [on power].
Emperor: Is that Leard? Well, would you like to come [rule the world] with Us? No other pleasure could possibly match up to this...ooh! So [very] nice!
Leard: Father...if you understand my words, please listen to me…[my] brother has passed away.
Emperor: So? What’s the big deal? We have no need for a successor [now]; We now have eternal life. Leard, you should get the same power as Father!
Leard: Father, I’ve been an unfaithful son...this is the best I can do for you…
Emperor: Ooh! How excellent!
Leard: I’ll stop you...with my own [two] hands!
Emperor: Ooh! It’s ending [here]! Good!
Gibogera: Well, then, would [you] kindly have a nice heart-to-heart as father and son? If you can, do please try to make it to the room above this one. I’ll be waiting there for you…
(Gibogera runs off into a corner and teleports away.)
Leard: Wait, Gibogera!

This is the first time that Leard uses 私 (watashi) to refer to himself; I don’t know if this is how he usually speaks to his father, but given that he has never done so before I think it’s safe to believe he picked it in hopes of getting through to his father. The Emperor, meanwhile, refers to himself using 余 (yo), an archaic pronoun generally used by rulers and is pretty much the equivalent to the Royal We (hence the Emperor talking like he has multiple personalities in my translation).

dotchan fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jul 21, 2021

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

The big wall in front of the party creates a nice convenient bottleneck to funnel enemy troops into, meaning I only need to move up far enough to lure them in and then lay waste to them at my pleasure. There are “ambushes” hidden under the beams of light, but they give themselves away on each enemy turn because the cursor flashes over them.

Attacking the Emperor for the first time gets the usual boss taunt dialogue, but not until after the damage has registered:

Video link

Emperor: *evil laughter* Ooh! How wonderful! And then, ooh! This power to become stronger! It’s all great! It feels wonderful!
Kai: Every time I attack, it feels weirder.
Shifel: I can’t believe it! The holy sword doesn’t work!
Leard: Don’t give up!
Varakana: He is certainly weakening. Push through!

Fortunately, my frontline units are well past the level curve and slice away so much of the Emperor’s health that on the next turn, Leard’s able to finish him off.

Video link

Emperor: !? Why did the damage not repair [itself]? Just what the hell [is going on]!?
Kaylinas: Looks like that function can’t be reused.
Emperor (as light begins to flash): *screams* I feel awful… *screams again*
Leard: Father!!
(The giant demon fades, leaving behind the Emperor, who spins around and the scene fades to black. When it fades back in, the party is assembled politely before the Emperor with Leard at the lead; and the Emperor slowly leaves his throne to stand in front of his son.)
Emperor: Leard…? Is that you…? You’re stabbing me…
Leard: Father? Have you come back to your senses?
Emperor: Bring peace to the empire...the world with your own hands. I entrust the peace your mother wished to see...up...to...you…
Leard: Father!!

Stage 24: Immortality

(The party finds themselves in what looks like an inner courtyard of the castle; Gibogera stands at the other end, but countless enemy troops block the way.)
Gibogera: *evil laugh* Looks like the raw material still wasn’t good enough, [just as it was with] Zoldein and Barnassus. I don’t get it...am I that useless?
Leard: Gibogera! This time, I’m going to kill you!
Gibogera: Take a number, get in line.
(At the top edge of the map, one can just make out a general entering in from the north.)
Gibogera (to the general): Well, then, go kill that rear end in a top hat.
General: Leave it to me.
(With that, Gibogera leaves the scene.)

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

It takes a bit to get to the enemies, but at least there are no ambushes in between. For whatever reason, the enemies can dodge the physical attacker’s special abilities, so just attack regularly with the front liners, but continue to bomb them with the casters’ AOE attacks. On this map, Alia hits the level cap of 60, so any experience she gains gets transformed into gold instead, but I’ve also hit the money cap.

The enemy general has nothing to say to us, and Kai ends up taking the kill on counterattack.

Video link

Leard: Brace yourself, Gibogera!
Gibogera: Oh, dear, it appears that fellow made no difference at all. Unfortunately, it seems I have run out of pieces.
Shifel: Just what the hell are you?
Gibogera: [What the heck,] allow me to explain. Once upon a time, before light and dark, there was one they called the Creator who made hundreds of gods, including ones you people could consider as devils. Myself and Aldenara are among [such gods]...
Doris: Is that for real?
Aldenara: You are [still] trying to destroy the world[, huh]...do you [really] think you can get away with such a thing?
Gibogera: Aren’t you the same, Aldenara!?
Aldenara: By abandoning my immense power, I have finally been able to understand humans; therefore, I’ve decided to live as a [mere] mortal [from now on].
Gibogera: You idiot! By giving up your strength, you’ve also thrown away your long life[span]! Aldenara, why would you side with humans!? Dwell in the darkness with me once more!
Aldenara: ...I refuse. I won’t be like you.
Gibogera: What?! I’m immortal!
Leard: This sword--The Baaldeath--is also known as The Almighty’s Sword, [and] is said to have defeated gods.
Gibogera: Oho, so you had such a thing? If you wish to beat me, then would you kindly follow me?
(The screen begins to flash all sorts of colors; after that, it fades in and out a few times before cutting to black.)

Stage 25: Gibogera

(The party finds themselves scattered over an alien landscape covered with craters.)
Rigid: Where are we?
Claus: *whimpers* Where? Where?
Neifel: I’ll bet this is the world where Gibogera is from.
Leard: So?
Kai: Gibogera’s world[, huh]?
Kaylinas: What does that mean, exactly? [All I can see is that] the ground is uneven.
(The camera pans to Gibogera, who has transformed into a giant grotesque being.)
Gibogera: *evil laugh* You lot are now inside my body! You’ll be digested in no time at all, so enjoy what [little] time you have left!
Leard: Gibogera! You! I won’t let you get away with it!
Gibogera: Give up, it’s useless.
Serena: What is your purpose? Why cause so much suffering all over the world?
Gibogera: I have two goals--by destroying the world, I can guarantee my immortality. I’m so jealous...could it be [that I covet] immortality [that much]? I’ll kill you just in case. But, even with immortality, I would only have one life to live. To have more fun killing, I’ll need more methods of immortality. Maybe I haven’t researched properly...I need a specific type of body and a specific quality [of person] to be suitable raw materials for immortality...only those of a certain bloodline…that [bloodline is]...
Leard: The imperial blood[line], right?
Gibogera: Correct! Emperor Nereid had excellent blood [running through his veins], [but] instead [of taking that] I gave him unparalleled power and a magnificent body. That was my gift to him. I suppose a mere human couldn’t control such power very well.
Leard: You bastard!! I’ll kill you!!
(Various creatures crawl out of the craters scattered around the map.)

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

The creatures don’t take much damage from AOE attacks, but regular attacks still work just fine.

A cutscene triggers when any unit approaches the wall surrounding Gibogera:

Video link

Leard: Geh, where are we supposed to attack?!
Aldenara: The heart, attack his heart! It’s useless to attack anywhere else!
Leard: But there’s a wall in the way; I can’t reach it!
Aldenara: Leave it to me!
(In a flash, Aldenara has appeared on top of the wall surrounding Gibogera; once there, he positions himself and gathers energy, then self-destructs to blow a hole in the wall.)
Doris: Master Aldenara!!
Gibogera: *scoffs* Mind your own business, Aldenara!
Aldenara: The world...doesn’t need beings such as us… *groans*
Doris: Master! You can’t die!
Aldenara: I’m...not long for this world...you should live [on]...Doris, you’re an excellent summoner, but never rely on [the] god[s alone]...forge the way [forward] with your own power. *groans* Prince Leard, I leave the rest to you…
Leard: ...okay! We will surely seize peace with our own hands!
(Aldenara dies.)
Leard: Alright, everyone! Let’s not waste [the] Master’s death! Attack!

Gibogera is very meaty, has a ton of defense, and hits like a truck. Once he gets to low enough health, another cutscene plays:

Video link

Leard: He [sure] is tough!
Serena: I have an idea!
Leard: What is it, Serena?
Serena: I’ll use the “Dance of Destruction”.
Leard: But won’t that [also] destroy the [whole] world?
Serena: This is inside Gibogera’s body; his “world”[, as it were].
Leard: Is that so? Then it should be alright to destroy [this place].
Verakana: Wait, think it over some more. Will it really be alright?
Shifel: That’s right, Serena. If the world disappears, what’ll happen to us?
Kai: But we can’t stand the enemy’s attacks [for much longer].
Kaylinas: It’s all or nothing!
Leard: [Shall we] go for it or not, Serena?
Serena: I’ll perform the Dance of Destruction!

By “use the Dance of Destruction” the game does not, to my surprise, mean “use Serena’s AOE ability” but “use a regular attack with Serena”, at which point the ending cutscene plays:

Video link

(Serena calls forth the power of destruction and finishes Gibogera off.)
Leard: You did it!
Gibogera: *death rattle*
(Gibogera dies with a great flash.)
Leard (as the scene fades to white): *screams*
(The party finds themselves in a black void.)
Leard: Did we make it?
Verakana: Indeed we have.
Kaylinas: We did it, Leard.
Shunnally: Did we [really] win?
Altaba: I’m so happy!
Kai: It truly is all over…it took [so] many sacrifices...
Shifel: It [sure] took a while.
Neifel: [They sure] were strong.
Alia: Now then, everyone [back home] is waiting [for us].
Serena: Let’s go, Leard!
Leard: ...thank you. I am truly grateful, everyone!

(Heroes old and new are once again assembled before King Arc’s throne room.)
Arc: Welcome back, Shifel! [I see] you’ve become quite the man!
Shifel: *chuckles* [Dad, you’re] embarrassing [me].
Ferio: Good job, Shifel. Truly, [you’ve] been wonderful. Now, then, please take a break [for] today. Starting tomorrow, you’ll need to take royal studies in order to learn how to become an even greater king.
Shifel: *strained laugh* O-okay. Got it. Good night.
(Shifel, Neifel, and Alia leave.)
Shifel (stopping at the door): Seriously, I’m going to go play with Neifel today.

(Shifel, Neifel, and Alia walk out of Fersaria castle as the sun is setting.)
Neifel: Don’t you see? You guys are not meant to live in a castle.
Alia: That may be so, but I still don’t like leaving the castle.
Neifel: Maybe not, but King Arc would come after Shifel and tell us to bring you along as well, Alia.
Alia: Huh? M-me too?
Neifel: Duh! That Kaylinas has gone off somewhere. [Who else would be coming along?]
Shifel: For the time being, let’s head over to King Leard’s.
Alia: Me too…?
Narration: Shifel, Neifel, and Alia had yet to be true adventurers.
(That’s unnecessarily harsh. Even if they’re not the “rush off into heroics” type, they still managed to save the world; Shifel in particular has grown up quite a bit.)

(Elsewhere, Kai and Docatti are having a chat. If I had the patience to trawl through the game’s maps, I’d be able to identify the location but :effort: )
Kai: [I’d say] I was pretty amazing.
Docatti: What? If I’m reckless, then you’re already one foot in the grave!
Kai: Stubborn old man, you were fooled by the enemy at first!
Docatti: Same goes for you!
Kai: *laughs*
Docatti: *laughs* Anyway, are you going to ask for Alia’s hand [in marriage]?
Kai: I swore an oath to be chivalrous! I don’t have time for that [sort of relationship]!
Narration: Kai reunited with his [good] friend Docatti, and the two chatted each other up about their heroic deeds.

(Elsewhere again, Kaylinas and Doris are having an argument.)
Kaylinas: I was [almost] eaten by a monster you summoned!
Doris: I was just messing around, of course [the summon] failed! No complaining!
Narration: Kaylinas and Doris went seeking the mythical blue bird. The good (?) friends (?) had gone on an adventure.

(Altaba is enjoying the ocean breeze near Lodoss.)
Altaba: In the end, I’m [still] a man of the sea! Hooray for the sea!
Narration: Altaba left behind the [way of the] sword and started a life as a fisherman on the streets of Lodoss, garnering a reputation for having failed at becoming a [true] hero.
(Hey, it wasn’t my fault Altaba stopped being useful as a character in the last few maps.)

(Rigid has returned to his homeland.)
Rigid: *groans* I’m bored...aww...won’t anyone come over?
Narration: Rigid protected the Sands as promised with King Arc, defending Fersaria against outside invaders.

(Shunally, Verakana, and Claus have gathered at an inn somewhere.)
Shunally: If you have any worries or concerns, feel free to say something.
Verakana: In that case, I’d like you to go away.
Shunally (pulling on Verakana): I’m not doing that! My righteous heart has caught your distress signal!
(Given that Shunally had zero plot relevance once she joined the party, this last minute “crush” on Verakana is very bewildering.)
Claus: This must be love!
Verakana (detaching from Shunally): Please, let me go! I’m busy!
Shunally (grabbing him again): Nope! I’m never leaving you [any more]!
Narration: Among the towns of Baaldeath, [the figures of] Varakana, Shunally, and Claus--the last of these watching the asexual and shy Varakana constantly fend off Shunally’s aggressive advances--could be seen daily.

(Leard is now sitting on the throne over Baaldeath...he really needs to rename the land something less unfortunate sounding one of these days.)
Serena: What’s the matter? What are you thinking, Leard?
Leard: Hm. I’m bored…
Serena: Yeah.
Leard: As hard as it was, I had the most fun when I was traveling.
Serena: [Leard,] don’t. If you run off again...you must inherit Tarikaara and your father’s [good] legacy…
Leard: Hm, okay! I’ve decided!
Serena: What did you decide?
Leard: It’s about time I visited Varakana and the others…
(Leard jumps off the throne and begins heading out.)
Serena (watching Leard go): *sighs*
Narration: Leard ascended to the throne as the emperor of Baaldeath [and] signed peace treaties with [all] neighboring countries, swearing to never again engage in aggression. He also formally took Serena as his wife, living happily ever after. The skies over Baaldeath and Fersaria are [now] forever clear and blue, a symbol of the peace between the two nations.
(Hopefully that’s not literal because that doesn’t sound good for the climate of either nation. Anyway, Serena begins heading out as well, and the camera follows her to show that he was waiting for her to catch up, and as the camera fades to black they leave for further offscreen adventuring together..)

Final remarks:
I do not have a good impression of this game: the maps are pointlessly huge, the animations are slow, the level curve to flat until the end, at which point it ramps up exponentially, and the story is nothing to write home about. All of that, plus constant emulator issues, made for an unfun experience.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

Farland Story 4: Silver Wings

This is another game that came out in Chinese, but I make no guarantees about update speed.

Opening cutscene (found on Youtube because I can’t get the Chinese version to play sound)
OST (Niconico)

quote:

Three years ago, we rebelled against the empire.
The dictator at the time--[Commander] Paper--was despised and feared by almost all people because of their oppressive policies.
Back then, we struck at the Imperial troops head on, but unfortunately, we lost.
[Because of our actions], many innocent youths were branded [as criminals] and [many more] were sacrificed…

In the three years after that, we were forced into [slave] labor.
Until one day we finally made a successful escape, and [for once] luck was on our side, so we also got a boat.
Now we sail the seas in hopes of rebuilding an equal, peaceful nation.
-- The captain and various young collaborators

(A bandanna-wearing youth, a duck, and a winged creature are on the deck of a ship.)
Glass: You’re still slacking off, Will? Put some more effort into it!
Will (angry): How annoying! If you don’t like [my pace], why don’t you do [all of] the cleaning!?
Glass: *sticks out tongue* Look at Phil, he’s already finished ages ago!
Will: Mr. Fancy Bandanna is only the fastest when cleaning…
(Phil walks up to Will.)
Phil: Will...did you just say something?
Will: N-no, I didn’t say anything.
Phil: I thought I heard something about a ‘fancy’ something[-or-other]...
Will: N-nobody said anything about that bandanna being fancy!
Phil: You’ve just said so [yourself]!
Glass: *laughs* You dummy, you gave yourself away!
Phil: C’mon, glass, teach Will a lesson!
(Phil grabs Will and lifts him right off his feet.)
Will (freaked out): S-stop! This pair of glasses is more important than my life…
Phil: How could anything be more important than your life? Glass, go ahead and take them.
Will: Fine, fine, I take back what I said. That bandanna is a memento of your deceased friend. There, happy now?
Phil: Is that all? Weren’t you also complaining about my cleaning?
Will: S-sorry! I’m a clutz when it comes to cleaning!
Phil: Forget it. If I have to take something more important than Will’s life, I’ll save that for later!
Glass: True.
(Phil lets Will go.)
Will: Phew...I’m still standing. Wow! What flashy clothes!
Phil (angry): Haven’t had enough yet, have you!?
Will (freaked out): D-don’t get me wrong! Look, on the sea!
(Phil and Glass turn toward the bow; the camera follows upward to show someone floating in the ocean, clinging to a bit of driftwood.)
Phi (running forward)l: ...what the--isn’t that a person!?
Glass (freaked out): Oh no!
Phil (determined): Hurry up and rescue her!

(Inside the ship, a moleman sits at a desk.)

quote:

※ Month, ※ Day
After a week on the run, there isn’t much food or potable water remaining.
And yet, Roland Village is still quite a ways off...
Phil (from offscreen): Boss~!
(Phil runs in.)
Daland: What’s with the panic? Is something wrong?
Phil: There was someone...a girl!
Daland (angry): What girl? You moron, do you have cabin fever or something?
Phil (determined): You misunderstand me! There’s a girl floating on the surface of the ocean!
Daland: And?
Phil: To make a long story short, we rescued her. She’s resting in bed [now].
Daland: Got it. I’ll go take a look in a moment. Have you finished cleaning?
Phil: Not yet. We’ve only finished cleaning above board, but we haven’t [started] below deck...anyway, I’ll get to that right now.
(Phil leaves.)
Daland: Phew, time sure flies...it’s already been a week since we escaped from [the clutches] of the Empire...

Stage 1: Escape
Will: What should we do? If we keep going like this, we’ll get captured again right away. After that, fugitives like us would...
Glass (angry): Shut up! Don’t jinx us!
Will: But…
Daland: Of course, I’m well aware that any escapees who get caught would be executed on the spot.
Will: I don’t want [that to happen]! I finally managed to escape, there’s no way I want to lose my head!
Glass (angry): Shut up! It’ll be all over [for us] if [we’re] discovered!
Will (angry): What’s with that attitude? Don’t be so cocky!
Daland: Quiet...by the way, Phil, what’s on your mind?
Phil: There’s a ship [over there], a ship!
Will: [So?] What’s the use of a ship?
Glass (angry): You really are a stupid duck! Without a ship, how are we supposed to escape this island? Do you think you can fly that well?
Will: I know that! You just had to bring that up, huh!?
Glass (sticking out her tongue): Stop it!
Daland (angry): Both of you, be quiet! ...Phil, I don’t mind stealing a ship, but do you have any idea where to go [after that]?
Phil: To Roland Village[, of course]! You must have heard of it, right, boss?
Daland: Yes, I’ve heard quite a few people dissatisfied with Paper have gathered there. Hm, we could regroup properly there. That’s what you’re thinking as well, right, Phil?
Glass: But will things go that smoothly [for us]?
Phil: It must be done. I’ve sworn [so] to my dead brethren!
Daland: ...very well, the harbor should be to the east. Let’s hurry on before we get discovered!

The map still feels a bit big given everyone’s movement range but maybe later stages will fill up with more enemies; at least like FS2/FS3, allied units can pass through one another. It’s also possible to gather the party to all allies (or at least all of them so far); otherwise the game engine works the same as before. (The bed of flowers hides an herb.)

Stage 1 starts us with 4 units; going counterclockwise from the bottom left corner, they are:
Phil (class: Fugitive) is our protagonist (as denoted by his Headband of Plot Importance) and, fittingly, wields a sword.
Daland (class: Moleman) is, plotwise, the leader of our ragtag group of misfits and wields claw(s?).
Will (class: Duck) is the comic relief; he “wields” his beak.
Glass (class: Fairy) is a high movement healer who can fly over water tiles and attack enemies in a pinch. Healing works the same as in FS2/FS3, where dead units are brought back to life after one turn of waiting, or immediately after use of a revive item or two casts from healers.

Have some more Will, because he is The Best:
:allears:

After killing the initial set of enemies within reach of the starting location, some more dialogue triggers:
Will: Say...nobody’s ever escaped successfully so far, right? The place is swarming with guards during the day…
Glass (angry): That’s why we’re escaping at night, idiot!
Will: But I’ve heard that not everyone who escaped were captured; on top of that, aren’t the guards absolutely forbidden to go out at night? There’s gotta be something strange going on!
Daland: Those guys must be terrified of the large mountain lions [that prowl] this area. Even though it’s dangerous, it [still] beats getting discovered by any guards.
Will: I suspect there’s more than that…
Daland: No matter what, don’t let your guard down.

Once the party reaches the tiles on or near the dark green patch of grass at the middle of the map, an ambush spawns (so don’t put Phil in the lead as he could die to an unlucky crit), as well as some more dialogue:
Phil: Ack! What are these things!?
Daland: Zombies! So that’s why the guards fear the night! These [zombies] must be the prisoners who died bearing grudges!
Will: Then, if you’re right, we might end up like them if we’re not careful?
Daland: Exactly.
Glass (sticking out her tongue): There’s no way I’d want to see a zombie duck!
Phil (determined): Here they come!

There’s more dialogue once a unit reaches the red armored knight occupying the objective town:
Phil: [We] finally made it. Doesn’t look like there are any troops chasing us, either.
Daland: They probably assumed we all became zombie food! By the way, how are we to deal with that guard over there?
Glass: Will, act like a [proper] bird for a bit!
Will (angry): W-why me!
(The guard looks around.)
Will: Oh, no, [we’ve] been discovered!
Glass: It’s all because you were too loud!
Will (angry): Why am I always the [only] one to get yelled at?
Daland (angry): Do you two have a death wish? Take him down quickly, before anybody else notices!

This armored knight is level 3 and is standing on a heal tile, plus there’s one more enemy I wanted to chase down for the experience, so I spend a few turns only doing damage on counterattack before I position everyone in place; I feed the kill to Will.

Phil: Those inside didn’t notice, did they?
Daland: Not yet, but they’re bound to notice sooner or later; let’s hurry up and find [us] a ship!

- Except for his Protagonist Headband, a perfectly ordinary young man if not for his status as an escaped convict and implied former rebel.
- The leader of the band of rebels/escapees.
- A talking duck with a short fuse.
- A smart-aleck faerie.

dotchan fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jul 22, 2021

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

(The port city, where Imperial troops have been stationed.)
Kiambela: We’ll be setting off to Roland Village by ship. I leave the subsequent miscellaneous tasks to you, Shuudo!
Shuudo: Feel free to rely on yours truly!
Kiambela: We were supposed to be responsible, but...do your best!
Sirutan: We’re off to do [more] important things!
Hant: At any rate, the rest is all on you!
Shuudo: Please be assured [that I will do a good job]!
Kiambela: I await your good news. Alright, let’s head out.
Hant/Shuudo: Yes, Ma’am!
(Kiambela, Hant, and Sirutan exit stage left; then the camera pans down to show the party)
Glass: So how exactly are we supposed to steal a ship?
Will: Don’t ask me!
Glass (sticking out her tongue): Well, nobody’s asking you, dumb duck!
Will (angry): W-what did you say!?
Daland: Quiet! Phil, do you have any good ideas?
Phil: [We’ll] sneak into the enemy camp!
Will: Sneak in[, huh]? How are [we gonna] do [that]?
Glass (angry): If you don’t talk, nobody would think you were mute!
Phil: We’ll steal the soldiers’ armor! Look, over there!
(The camera pans up to show three generic soldiers slacking off.)
Soldier A (waving about drumsticks): Hey, I brought something to eat. Did you bring the alcohol?
Soldier B: Of course!
Soldier C: You didn’t get caught [by anybody], did you?
Soldier B: Of course[ not]!
Soldier A: Hurry up and bring out the drinks!
Soldier C: Hey, you’ve just been repeating the same thing over and over again!
Soldier A: It doesn’t matter what you say! Woah! I haven’t had a drink in years!
Soldier C: Huh? W-who’s there!?
(The camera pans back down to show the party about to ambush the soldiers.)
Soldier A: Who are you? If it’s alcohol you wan’t, we refuse to give you any!
Daland: We don’t care about your alcohol!
Soldier C: They look suspicious no matter what. Hey, let’s get rid of these guys first!
Phil (determined): That’s our line!

Stage 2: Sneaking Behind Enemy Lines

All you have to do is defeat these three dudes, so it makes me wonder why it’s playable and not handled in a cutscene. If the gameplay were more interesting, I suppose I’d appreciate this, but as is it really feels like filler. Worse, since they’re the objective, the attack/counterattack animation plays every time even if I have it turned off in general. There’s also a bug that really should have been caught during QA testing--if your units retreat onto the desert, they are now forever stuck on the outside, unable to get back in; if this happens to your entire party, it’s time to restart from a save point far enough back in time where at least somebody isn’t thusly trapped.

The map ends as soon as the last soldier falls:
(Phil and Daland are now wearing armor.)
Phil: What do you think? Now we won’t be given away, right?
Daland: There shouldn’t be a problem!
Glass (angry): Hey, what about me? I can’t wear this kind of armor!
Daland: Glass, can’t you turn small?
Glass: Yeah, but not so small that I could fit in the armor’s seams!
Daland: Will, hide Glass in your feathers.
Glass (angry): [Ew,] no! It stinks in there!
Will (angry): Who cares if it stinks or not… though, I haven’t bathed in three years…
(This line officially marks the empire as Stupid Evil. For future evil overlord wannabes, even your slaves should have proper hygiene. Back before the days of germ theory, people were already figuring out the value of a clean and well-fed populace. Being oppressive doesn’t mean you also have to be loving petty)
Shuudo (angry): Hey, what are you doing over there? Hurry up and get back to your posts!
Phil (worried): Uh-oh, if we don’t get a move on, we’ll be suspicious.
Glass: Hold on, hold on, what about me!
Daland: Don’t panic, I’ll handle it. No matter what, don’t say anything, okay? Glass, hurry up!
Glass: If I die from the stink, it’ll be your fault[, Will]!
Phil: Hmph! (thinking) You wouldn’t die just from that!
(With that, Glass shrinks and hides in Will’s feathers.)
Will (freaking out): *quacks* (thinking) [That is] s-so uncomfortable!
Shuudo (angry): What are you still doing over there?
Daland: C’mon! We’re heading out!
(One scene change later, the party is assembled before Shuudo.)
Shuudo: What’s with this duck?
Phil: It’s a gift! We’ll cook it for tonight’s dinner.
Shuudo: Doesn’t look very tasty!
Will (angry): *quacks*
Shuudo (laughing): Oho? It looks like this fellow can understand what we’re saying.
Phil: I-I guess?
Shuudo: Hurry up. It’s time to cast off!

- A mage working for the Empire.
- A samurai working for the Empire, his distaste for fish saves him from the protagonists’ plot by sheer coincidence.
- A soldier working for the Empire.
- Another soldier working for the Empire, his pointy helmet suggesting him to be some sort of berserker.

Will is still The Best:
:allears:

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

(The party is now aboard a very familiar looking ship.)
Daland: What’s the situation [now]?
Phil: It’s all going smoothly--I added sleeping medication to dinner; they’ll be snoozing soundly.
Daland: Is that so? Then there’ll be no problem!
Will (angry): You’ve got to be kidding me! I almost became dinner!
Phil: ...and didn’t we rescue you from that? *notices something* Huh? (determined) Oh, no! Someone’s coming!
(The camera pans down to show Shuudo standing just a few feet away.)
Shuudo: What’s going on? Why’s everyone asleep? (turns angry as he notices the party) Gerk, what suspicious-looking people! Are you the one’s responsible?
Phil (angry): Didn’t you eat dinner?
Shuudo (angry): I don’t eat fish!
Phil (angry): It’s not good to be a picky eater!
Shuudo (angry): Mind your own business!...men, to arms! Capture them all!

Stage 3: Please Give Me a Ship

The pirate minions have a chance to drop a sword upgrade for Phil; the treasure chest at the bottom right corner of the ship holds another herb (personally, I think it wasn’t worth the trip, as whoever you send to fetch the item won’t be able to get much EXP from this map).

Phil ends up getting the kill on counterattack.

Daland: Excellent!
Shuudo (angry): The tide has turned against me, farewell!
Glass (surprised): Oh...he jumped overboard!

Phil: I’ll let your friends off [the ship] on [some] rafts!
Shuudo (angry): I won’t forget this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

(Back in the present.)

quote:

And so, we began our escape. During this week, we have been passing the days peacefully. If we complain of boredom after such a dramatic seizure of the ship, then it feels unfair to those who have passed away...
Daland: ...and that’s that!

(The girl rescued from the ocean is resting in bed when she opens her eyes, blinks, and sits up.)
Phil (laughing, off screen): Hey, what are you doing!
Will (angry, off screen): What are you laughing at?
Glass (angry, off screen): Laughing at your clumsy butt! Hurry up and clean!
(The girl gets out of bed to see what the racket is all about and sees Phil, Will, and Glass sweeping the lower deck.)
Lita: Excuse me…
Phil: Oh, you’re awake and already able to be up and about?
Lita: Huh? Yeah…[I guess…] where am I?
Phil: It’s our ship! We found you floating on the surface of the ocean. Why would you end up in a place like that?
Lita (eyes closed): I’m sorry. I don’t remember anything.
Phil: I see...well, then, don’t push yourself. By the way, what’s your name?
Lita (smiling): Oh! I’m Lita...Lita the Mage. Thanks for saving me.
Phil: You’re a mage, huh? I’m Phil...and the people over here are…
Glass: I’m Glass. This [other] guy is… (laughs) a big fat duck!
Will (angry): You’ve gone too far! I have a name, a nice one--Will! And who says I’m fat!
Phil (laughing): Right, right, you’re not fat at all, you just have small eyes. That’s why you’re always wearing sunglasses. Hahahaha!
Lita (laughing) Tee hee hee...oh! I’m sorry!
Will: [You’re] terrible…
(The screen shakes suddenly.)
Will (angry): W-what’s going on!?
(The shaking stops just as suddenly.)
Phil (concerned): It stopped?
Daland (from offscreen): All hands on deck!
Phil (determined): That’s the boss! What’s going on!

Stage 4: Taking on Water

Daland: At this rate, the sea water will flood in. I know we didn’t hit any reefs, so what’s going on?
Phil: We’ve got to go fix it, quickly!
(The screen shakes again.)
Phil (angry): What now!?
Will (freaking out as two mermen teleport in): Wh-what are these people doing here?
Daland: We shouldn’t linger! Get on the deck!

The objective of the map is to reach the stairs (circled with green in post), but I’m taking my sweet time to grab all the treasure chests first while I deal with the reinforcements that keep spawning in every turn. Complicating this process is that some dead enemies leave behind holes that are no longer traversable; I also find out that while Glass can heal from up to two tiles away, she can only attack in melee and that the game also ends if Lita dies.

The treasures are as follows: in the room directly below the party’s starting point, the treasure chests are (from bottom to top) an ice wand for Lita and a consumable that restores all HP so long as the unit is still alive; the treasure chests in the middle hallway (from left to right) are two Whiskeys (revives dead units); the treasure chest in the top room is another Whiskey; and the treasure chest in the room with the tiger skin rug is.
When a unit draws near the objective, three new units spawn in and there’s a bit of dialogue:
Phil: They’ve cut us off!

The map ends as soon as a unit lands on the tile at the bottom of the stairs:
Daland (yelling): Quick, get out of here!

An amnesiac mage who joined the party after being rescued from being lost adrift at sea.