Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:

(The party wakes in prison.)
Gray (in pain): Ow…ow ow ow.
Alisha (sad): Gray!!
Zero: [So] you’re finally awake?
Alisha (sad): [Are you] alright?
Gray (sad): Sorry…I got careless.
Zero (covering his face with his hat): It’s not your fault. Anyway, we’re in a hurry.
Gray (angry): What’s wrong?
Zero: Old man Galbani said earlier–Victor is coming soon…we’ve gotta get out of here.
(Gray walks to the door; Meisha and Alisha follow behind him.)
Meisha (worried): But…how [are we to escape]?
Zero (smugly tipping his hat): Hey, hey, who do you think Gray is?
Alisha (smiling): A burglar?
Gray (smiling): How rude! That’s “Great Thief” to you! This lock is nothing [to me]!
Zero: Anyway, hurry up!
(Beat.)
Zero (nervous): What’s wrong?
Gray (angry): Just a little longer…okay, it’s open.
(Because the game drew the “jail door”–including the parts of the door that don’t actually open–as a single sprite, it “animated” Gray’s prowess by making the whole sprite disappear.)
Meisha (happy): Wow…
Alisha (happy): That’s amazing!
Gray (smiling): *chuckles* And all this before breakfast!
Zero (nervous): This isn’t the time to be arrogant. Let’s hurry up on out of here.

(The party is now assembled outside of their jail cell.)
Zero: The exit is that way.
Meisha (yelling): Just a minute! There’s a guard over there!
Gray (nervous): That’s bad! We’ve been spot…ted?
Guard: *snoring*
Alisha (relieved): He looks soundly asleep.
(Gray walks up to the guard.)
Gray (nervous): ??? I’d like to know what this guy’s thinking, too. Hm? This is…Haag?
Zero (shocked): Oh! You’re right, it really is Haag!
Gray (yelling): Haag! Hey, Haag! Wake up!
Haag (nervous): *grumbles* Hm? Eek! Did you come out [of your cells]? That’s no good! Return there [at once]!
Meisha (angry): Doesn’t he know you?
Gray (breaking out in a sweat): We’re not just acquaintances, we’re friends…
Haag (yelling): [I’m going to] throw you [back in] by fooooorce!
Zero (nervous): Maybe he can’t see well because of hunger. He’s always been like that…
Haag (yelling): If I let you go, I won’t be allowed to eat any supper! Grawr! I’ll never allow such a thiiiiing!
Gray (nervous): Okay, Haag, okay! Just calm down! Aw, if only there were something to [give him] to eat…
Meisha: [I have] some wolfberries, but…
Zero (nervous): So…?
Alisha (warmly): It’s a nutritious and very tasty nut that grows in Toscana forest.
(Alisha walks up to Gray.)
Alisha (warmly): Here, help yourself.
Zero (yelling): Feed it to him, Gray!
(Gray turns to Haag.)
Haag (happy): Hm? Mm? *munch munch* Delicious! Super delicious! … Hm? Gray? And Zero!
Gray (exasperated): …what do you mean, ‘Hm, Gray!” What are you doing here, Haag?
Haag (nervous): Um, well…when I was walking around in the street, I passed out from hunger…[then] I found myself in this prison.
Zero (confused): ??? What kind of prison [is this]?
Gray (exasperated): Can’t you remember [anything] else…
Haag (smiling): I do. Then, in the morning, I had a meal and talked to the guard here if I could work here for a while.
Gray (exasperated): So you’re just working a job, huh?
Haag (trying to laugh it off): Yeah, how sloppy of me.
Gray (exasperated): Haag…
Haag (oblivious): Yeah?
Gray (exasperated): Ever the optimist, aren’t you?
Haag (still oblivious): Hm, I think I’m hungry…
Gray (1000% done): *draws in a deep breath and sighs*
Zero (yelling): Gray! Hurry up!
Gray (smiling): What about it, Haag, will you come with us?
Haag (oblivious): …[what about] food?
Gray (exasperated): …fine, I’ll feed you special meat buns.
Haag (happy): Let’s go!

Stage 4: Jailbreak

Gray: It’s a shame to just run away[, but]...
Haag (smiling): There is an arsenal over there.
Gray: Let’s go for it.
Haag (nervous): It’s no good. The lock is tough; even Gray’s skills would be useless.
Gray (annoyed): Urgh…where’s the key?
Haag (smiling): It’s over there, the room right in front of you, but there’s a lookout.
Zero (nervous): Hey-hey-hey!!
Haag (oblivious): Huh? I guess it is a little too quiet…
(Gray turns to the door of the cell in question.)
Gray (nervous): Say…what's [with] the bones lying in that corner?
Haag (nervous): I’ve never seen that before.
Meisha (sad): I’ve got a bad feeling about this…
(An innumerable number of rats appear in the cell.)
Alisha (upset): *screams*
Zero (freaked out): Just who are the bad guys here!?
Gray (angry): Seriously, what are those bastards thinking!?
Haag (nervous): [Maybe] it’s better to give up…

At this point, Haag joins the party. He is the Bard-equivalent of the game, capable of giving any unit an extra turn. He also has an AOE damage ability, but he gains no experience from using it.

There’s a mini-tutorial if you have Gray approach the jail cell directly in front of him but not open it:
Zero (with his hat over his face): They seem to be reacting to the sound…however, Gray’s sneaking ability should be able to make it unnoticed.
Meisha (worried): But we’ll notice…
Zero (smiling): Doesn’t mean he can’t try.

You don’t need to bother to have Gray open this door, as the rats only ever take 1 damage from your party, and the stage will still proceed if you ignore the gimmick and make a beeline for the stairs (marked by the cursor in the screencap). The key item in the chest does nothing except take up space in your inventory–it doesn’t even open the other jail cell containing the treasure chests!

The stage ends as soon as any unit lands on the tile containing the stairs.
Haag (smiling): If you go up these stairs, you’ll reach the sewers.
Gray (happy): Alright, [we can] escape from here!

Characters introduced this update:
- A friend of Gray's; not the brightest bulb, he is constantly hungry.

dotchan fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jul 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

Stage 5: The Black-Clad Magician

Gray (nervous): You’ve heard that there’s a lot of hungry monsters dwelling in these sewers, right?
Haag (nervous): “Hungry”? I’m the one who’s hungry.
Zero (exasperated): When are you ever not hungry?
Gray (pulling himself together): You alright, ladies?
Alisha: I am…sister dearest?
Meisha: I’m fine, Alisha.
Gray (kindly): Excellent. Here, this way.

The areas marked with the red square are where ambush units will spawn if any of your party members draw near, but you can ignore the ones that spawn on the right side of the screen since they get stuck in the water and can’t reach your allies.

The stage ends as soon as any ally steps on the stair tile on the top of the map.

(Two people have appeared in front of the party.)
Sorel (solemn): What an awful stench…
Viper: It couldn’t be more perfect, Sorel!
Alisha (sad): Sorel!
Sorel (smiling): Alisha…are you ready? Come, let us return to the mansion.
Gray (breaking out in a cold sweat): Just what are you?
Meisha (sad): Gray…it’s pointless.
Gray (yelling): Why, Meisha?
Meisha (sad): Don't resist him. I sense a terrible power [emanating from him].
Sorel (solemn): …a wise decision, Meisha. Of course, you will be coming along as well?
Zero (yelling): Are you with Victor as well?
Viper: *laughs* Not yet. That old coot Victor can’t move very fast.
Sorel (solemn): Well, then, if you’re ready to go home, you don’t need to stay in a place like this. Young man, will you return Heaven’s Gate?
Gray (smiling): What are you talking about? Didn’t Vesper already hand it over to you?
Sorel (smiling): Vesper?...Ah, that Raven[-clan] woman stole it? Sorry, but I find that difficult to believe.
Viper (yelling): Hurry up and get over here [already], Meisha!
Alisha (sad): Sorel, I don’t know who you are, but [when] this power is passed on, it will be crushed and torn apart.
Sorel (solemn): You talk too much, Alisha. Come now, surrender already. I can’t stand being in this place any longer.
Offscreen voice: Do not so much as lay a finger on these people, Sorel!
(A hooded figure appears in a flash of light.)
Sorel (solemn): Who are you?
Arlcon: My name is Arlcon. I refuse to hand these people over to you.
Gray (yelling): W-what? [Where did this guy come from] all of a sudden?
(A black hole of energy emerges from Arlcon as the world inverts into black and white; once the hole shrinks, the party has vanished.)
Sorel (solemn): What great power…[he] erased not just their visibility, but all signs of them in the darkness.
Viper (yelling): Sorel? Are you okay? Did they get away?
Sorel (smiling): They got away? Of course they did, silly. No matter what, I’m the only one who can handle the holy treasures. Anyway, it’s been a while since we’ve last entertained ourselves. Let’s do that!

- A mysterious person whose yet to be explained powers frighten Alisha and Meisha.
- A woman of demonic descent and Sorel’s cheerful partner in crime.
- A masked man who rescues the party from Sorel.

dotchan fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jul 19, 2022

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

(Over a black screen)
Gray (nervous): Just where in the world are we? It’s so dark, I can’t see anything at all.
Haag (yelling): *incoherent freaked out noises* It smells like the tide…
Zero (nervous): So…we’re near a harbor?
Voice: That’s correct. More accurately, this is Anhelm Port’s first harbor.
Gray (yelling): Who’s there!?
(The party finds themselves in a room similar to their hideout.)
Karlno (smirking): My name is Karlno Tycoon. I run a business in Anhelm.
Alisha (worried): Gray, be careful. I can’t sense anything about this person…
Gray (smiling): I've heard of you. Karlno Corporation is quite infamous in our “profession”.
Karlno (smirking): Oho, what an honor. I’m a bit curious–just how well known am I?
Zero (hat over head): “Don’t touch [your stuff]”...what’s it [as far as I know]. Plenty of people have tried to go after [your] works of art, thinking you to be an obsessive nutter, and disappeared.
Karlno (smirking): *chuckles* I just wanted to know if I’ve wasted money on my guards.
Gray: Hard to believe you helped us. What’s the catch?
Karlno (smirking): Hm, straight to the point, huh? I wanted to chat a bit [first]...oh, well.

(Haag looks back and forth between the party and the people at the table.)
Hagg (nervously): Before that…where’s the restroom?
Kalrno (smirking): Galgill, show the way, would you?
Galgill: M-me? *growls* C’mere! This way!
Hagg (nervously) : W-w-what a weirdo…

(One scene change later, everyone is seated around the table.)
Karlno (smirking): Alright, let's move on. It’s more convenient, even in a place like this. From here on, think of it as a kind of "deal".
Meisha (suspicious): A deal?
Kalno (smirking): That’s right. First of all, we helped you because you are at odds with Victor.
Zero (yelling): What are you talking about!?
Kalno (smirking): You must have heard of the “sacred treasure” that guards the “inheritance of the gods”--two fairy stones and one goddess statue.
Gray: I’ve heard of this[, yeah].
Alisha (sad): There are two fairy stones–"[Heaven’s] Gate" and "[Jacob’s] Ladder"; the crystalline goddess statue is said to sleep in Rakonia Lake.
Zero (nervous): “[Jacob’s] Ladder”?
Arlcon: That’s right! "[Heaven’s] Gate" manipulates space, "[Jacob’s] Ladder" manipulates time、and the goddess steers the two stones and leads her emissaries to the "Inheritance of the Gods".
Meisha (shouting): How do you know the ancient sayings of Toscana village!?
Karlno (smirking): We are descendants of a clan who was once appointed by God as the guardians of the Holy Treasure. But now, besides me, only a few [of us] are left.
Gray (nervous): The guardians of the Holy Treasure? [Really?]
Karlno (yelling): We are descendants of ancient dragons who became guardians in obedience to God’s commands. However, we are destined to perish soon.
Zero (nervous): N-no, I was talking about the guy with a ridiculous[-looking] face.
Karlno (smirking): That one’s called Gargill. He’s a Mega Dragon Newt. He has a strangely high self esteem, and that’s a problem. Pardon his rude words earlier…
Zero (smiling): Don’t worry about it, nobody minds.
Karlno (smirking): Anyway, Victor could resist the temptation to seize the sacred treasure…this time you [were the ones who] got it back from him.
Gray: Do you [always] know what to do in advance?
Karlno (smirking): Please don’t freak out, [but] we’ve been watching his mansion the whole time using Gearlio here.
Gearlio (looking a bit embarrassed): ……
Gray: You can hand over Heaven’s Gate, right?
Zero (putting his hat over his eyes): I see…so that’s what you meant by “deal”?
Karlno (smirking): It shouldn't be a bad deal. We, the original guardians, will protect our holy treasure, and you, God’s [chosen] emissaries, will obtain the other holy treasures.
Meisha (shouting): That’s impossible! How could we get the holy treasures?
Karlno (smirking): Don't you get it? Think about how Heaven's Gate was taken out of the barrier ruins.
Gray: If we don’t do it, they will, is that right?
Karlno (smirking): Victor has probably gained power beyond human comprehension. Otherwise, it would have been impossible for him to destroy the ruins and get one of the fairy stones.
Zero (nervous): [What kind of] power beyond human comprehension?
Karlno (smirking): The "Inheritance of the Gods" are no longer inviolable. Don't give the ruins over to someone like Victor. [That must] never [come to pass]!
Gray: I see…that may indeed be the case.
Aisha (worried): Gray!?
Meisha (yelling): You fool! No human should be involved in the holy treasure or the inheritance of the gods!
Zero (thinking): Don’t get any funny ideas, Gray.
Gray: Well, we[‘ve already] collected a holy treasure, so what’s in it for us? Just by that alone, there’s a lot of room for negotiation.
Karlno (smirking): Good point. [Then] we’ll help you get to Toscana safely.
Zero (freaking out): !? That’s it?
Karlno (shouting): Victor has sent countless troops into Anhelm in order to pursue you. Do you [really] think you can reach Toscana safely?
Gray: I see…so what kind of strength are you lending [us]?
Carlno (smirking): Let Gearlio here guide you. He’s quite familiar with all sorts of places; surely he’d be of help.
Gearlio (smiling): Nice to meet you. I won’t steer you wrong with my words.
Carlno (smirking): Now, then, are you willing to hand over “[Heaven’s] Gate” for the time being?
Gray: What a shame. I don’t have it.
Carlno (smirking): !?...Is there something that doesn’t satisfy you?
Gray: There’s nothing to be dissatisfied about; I really don’t have it! I was robbed in my hideout a while back.
Carlno (shouting): What!? What’s the meaning of this, Gearlio!?
Gearlio: Now that you mention it, there was a Raven[-clan] woman hurrying away when the police surrounded that place…
Zero (pulling his hat over his face): Her name’s Vesper. We’re childhood friends, but she picked up some bad habits…
Carlno (back to smirking): ……
Gray: Think we’re lying? If you can’t trust us, then the deal is off. We can’t work together [like this].
Carlno (smirking): [I suppose] I have no choice but to retrieve “[Heaven’s] Gate” later. We’ll go after the other fairy stone and the goddess statue [for now].
Zero: The [stone] called “[Jacob’s] Ladder, right?
Carlno (smirking): And the Goddess Statue in Laconia…ask Gearlio for the locations of both.
Gray: Once I get the sacred treasures, how am I to hand them over?
Carlno (smirking): You don’t have to worry about that. We have a way of contacting Gearlio. Besides, if you are [indeed] the ones chosen by the Gods, the sacred treasure itself may guide you…
Gearlio: Now, then, let’s head out before Victor’s troops swarm the area.

Stage 6: Crossing the Mountain Range

Haag (nervous): Phew…I’m hungry!
Gearlio: From here onward are the Grandia Mountains. If you go west through that valley, you will reach the Rakonia Nature Reserve.
Meisha (shouting): Rakonia? We won’t reach Polcanon [instead]?
Gearlio (sad): You’re free to do what you like, [but] Polcanon is right next to the port town of Anhelm and Victor’s minions would be troublesome.
Haag (nervous): Mountain climbing, huh? Ugh…I’m so hungry…

At this point Gearlio joins the party. In addition to being a flier who attacks from melee, Gearlio has the ability to transport allied units (unlike the FE command “rescue”, picking up and dropping off units happens on the same turn and only units who haven’t otherwise moved can be thus transported).

An event triggers when any unit reaches more than halfway across the last bridge on the upper right corner of the map:
(A large amount of monsters appear.)
Gray (shocked): W-what? [All of a] sudden!?
Haag (shouting): Woah! A pretty lady!
Zero (smugly tipping his hat): Geez, this kid is no good [for anything]! Well, leave it all up yours truly here! (smiling) Now, then, is something bothering you, mademoiselle?
Camilla: Ahh…it’s been a while since I last enjoyed the scent of the blood and flesh of injured, frightened humans!
Zero (tipping his hat over his face): Let’s go Dutch on this one, Gray. Unfortunately, she’s not my type.
Haag (happy): I’m more than happy to show you a good time[, Miss]!
Gray (exasperated): Jeez…look closer, Haag. That’s a monster!
Camilla: The sacred beads that sealed us outside of space-time since ancient days have finally flowed out of the barrier [that kept it hidden from me]…thanks to that, I have been able to return to this world again…a world full of prey with enough blood to drown in.
Meisha (shocked): Do you mean Heaven’s Gate!?
Camilla: The rifts that occur in space-time are getting bigger and bigger. Eventually it will cover everything! The promise made by that cheeky man called Sorel seems to be coming true: sooner or later we will control the world’s darkness!
Gray (shouting): Stop talking nonsense!

Camilla is thick and hits like a truck plus her attacks heal herself, but at least she can only attack from melee; however, she is supported by minions that can attack from ranged.

After a long battle in which it takes me a while to figure out that the best way to fight her is with my ranged units and getting what damage I can on counterattack, I feed the kill to Haag.

Zero: Phew, we defeated her somehow.
Alisha (worried): Gray? Are you alright?
Gray (tired): No big deal…
Alisha (worried): You look awful, Gray…
Gearlio: There is a mountain lodge over there. Let's go take a break.

- The head of a corporation with a bad reputation among the thieves, he claims to be descended from a tribe who guarded the MacGuffins needed to unseal the Inheritance of the Gods.
- A dragon-headed humanoid with self esteem issues.
- A human-sized bird that Calrno lends to the party in order to achieve the quest of getting all of the plot-relevant MacGuffins.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

Gray (over a black screen, tired): *groans*
Zero (alarmed): H-hey, Gray?
(Gray couldn’t even make it to the bed inside the cabin; instead, he’s collapsed on the floor while the party surrounds him, concerned.)
Meisha (shouting): Gray!
Haag (shouting): Woah! H-he’s turning black all over! Hey, Gray!
Alisha (worried): Don’t touch him!
Meisha (worried): Alisha…
Alisha (sad): This is…a “curse”.
Haag (shouting): C-curse!? [What do you mean!?]
Alisha (worried): There’s a tremendous power constricting Gray’s heart.
Gearlio: !!
Zero: W-what should we do?
Alisha (worried): I’ll…purify [him].
Meisha (worried): Don’t, Alisha! This is a real curse–should you fail, it’ll fall on you [instead]!
Alisha (sad): I’ll be fine…I think.
(Magic spirals around Alisha for several seconds.)
Gearlio (shouting): W-wait!
Alisha: !?
Gearlio (serious): If you descend a bit down to the foot of the mountain, there is a church that now lies empty.
Meisha (worried): A church? [And?]
Gearlio: I've heard that it has a golden grail filled with holy water that can break curses.
Zero: Holy water that can break curses, huh? That certainly sounds like it’d work. Why didn’t you say so sooner?
Gearlio: However, there are rumors that the church is now a monster's den. If you go, you should be ready [to be swarmed].
Alisha (worried): Let's go! The more we delay, the more the curse will pluge Gray's heart into deep darkness!
Meisha (shouting): You stay here, Alisha.
Alisha (worried): But!
Zero: Alisha, stay with Gray.
Haag (happy): We’ll definitely bring back the holy water!
Gearlio (exasperated): ……
Zero: Something wrong, Gearlio?
Gearlio (determined): At the end of the day, I'm the only one who knows the location of the church, dammit! Let's go. Follow me!
Alisha (sad): Sister…
Meisha (smiling): Look after Gray [for us], Alisha. Now, then, let’s go!
(One scene change later, the party minus Alisha and Gray have made it to the empty church.)

Stage 7: Which is the Holy Grail?

Haag (shouting): Woah! [The whole place is] full of golden grails!
Zero (nervous): Which one is the golden grail that has the holy water in it?
Gearlio: I wonder which one of them is real?
Meisha: “I wonder”...?
(The camera pans upward to a much larger grail placed on an altar surrounded by statues and candles.)
Zero (nervous): Could that one be it?
Gearlio (nervous): [Why] wouldn’t it be?
Haag (happy): Why don’t we just go for it?
Meisha (worried): I don’t know…I’m worried about these grails in the way…
Zero: Don't let your guard down no matter what.
Gearlio: Hmm, let’s go.

The stage seems empty until any allied unit moves in as far as they can on the first turn:
(One of the pots comes to life and moves in.)
Pot: *monstrous noises*
Zero (freaked out): W-w-what is what!?
Gearlio (shouting): Those are monsters!
Meisha (shouting): Don’t tell me all of these jars are [like this]!?
Haag (shouting): I’ll kick all of their butts!

I make my way forward slowly, triggering only two of the mimic jars at a time. The stage ends once any unit ends a turn on one of the two tiles in front of the “Holy Grail” (the large jar at the top of the stage).

Zero (smugly tipping his hat): Phew, did we finally find it?
Haag (nervous): What is with this water? It’s so sparkly!
Gearlio: Holy energy is emanating from it. It truly is holy water.
Meisha: Let’s take some with us, and make it fast!
Zero: Hold on, Gray!

(Back in the cabin, Gray has been moved into the bed.)
Meisha (happy): Here’s the holy water, Alisha. Hurry up and have Gray drink that.
Alisha (happy): Got it, Sis.
(The screen flashes white twice; after that, Gray blinks and comes to.)
Gray (tired): *groans*
Zero (shouting): Gray!
Haag (happy): You’re back!?
Gray (tired): It…hurts…
Alisha (gentle): Don’t move, Gray! You had been cursed with darkness!
Gearlio (smiling): And it was a strong demonic curse at that. You should rest for a while
Meisha (smiling): That’s right. Take a break here [for now].
Haag (smiling): Your ordeal is finally over!

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

Stage 8: Trackers

(Some unspecified amount of time later, the full party is ready to move forward.)
Gearlio (smiling): Now thien, this is Rakonia, the land of the Gurick tribe.
Zero: Speaking of which, when I was still a writer I heard that they were creatures that can communicate with humans…is that true…?
Gearlio: Thanks to civilization, the number has decreased considerably, but there are. You should be careful, some just hate humans [for no reason].
Zero (smugly tipping his hat): Well, there’s nothing we can do about that. “Those with any wisdom wish to live a life of convenience, but those living in convenience still have to face storms…”
Gearlio (angry): Don’t say that without permission! I don’t remember asking you to speak [on our behalf]!
Meisha: Don’t fight! However, Gearlio is right…
Gearlio (exasperated): Humans only think of themselves as wise. I don’t want to be told that by those who spend their whole lives crawling around in the dirt!
Zero (shouting): Excuse me for not being able to fly!
Gearlio (shouting): And all the better that you can’t!
Haag (happy): Now, now…no matter how much you fight, Zero can’t grow wings…it's best to hurry ahead for the time being.
Gray (shocked): !!
Meisha (worried): What’s the matter, Gray?
Gray (nervous): Haag said something right for once.
Zero (shouting): W-what did you eat, Haag! Hurry up and spit it out!
Haag (nervous): Is it really that shocking?

The northern patch of flowers contains a Korean ginseng (the next higher tier of healing consumable) while the southern patch contains an herb.

An event plays when any unit tries to enter the town that is ostensibly the goal of the stage:
Woman: Hold it, that stud [over here]!
( :eng101: In the original, the woman uses the term “oniisan”, and while that literally means “big brother”, to call a random stranger with such an intimate term is effectively propositioning them. :eng101: )
Gray (nervous): [By] “stud”, do you mean me?
Woman: That’s right, handsome! Come’re!
Gray (nervous): I’ve got a bad feeling about this…what?
Woman: In a minute, [would you]?
Gray (nervous): “In a minute”, [would I what]?
Woman (making a Gene Simmon-esque expression): Give me your lives!!
(Beat.)
Gray (shouting): W-w-what what what [the hell] is that all about!?
Kanote (still making the same face): *chuckles* I’m Kanote, an assassin hired by Victor! Your life is mine to take!
Zero (nervous): What kind of assassin is in the habit of talking so much?
Gearlio: Don’t underestimate her. She was able to predict our movements and set an ambush…
Kanote (still making the same face): *laughs* Calm down, I just got l-u-c-k-y!
Meisha (worried): W-what do you mean!?
Kanote (still making the same face): I used my advance deposit to see a doctor. Then, while I was undergoing treatment, you guys happened along!
Gray (exasperated): What now, Zero?
Zero (sweatdropping): What choice do we have? She’ll keep stalking us if we don’t deal with her.
Kanote (still making the same face): *laughs* Give me your lives!
Meisha (sad): Ugh, I can’t take any more of this.

Kanote hits hard enough to one shot any of your units, so position Gray carefully. While Kanote starts on the town tile, he can only attack from melee and therefore will move off of it to chase your party. I feed the kill to Gearlio.

Kanote (still making the same face): Owowow! Dammit! I’ll remember this!
Zero (sweatdropping): “I’ll remember this!” she says…
Gray (exasperated): Are all assassins this lacking in self awareness?
Gearlio (smiling): Now then, let’s enter the village.
Gray: What is the purpose of this village[, anyway]?
Haag (happy): Food[, of course]! Let’s eat!
Zero (shouting): Haven't you just eaten?
Gearlio: Behind this village is a large forest area; the Crystal Temple should be somewhere within.
Gray: The Crystal Temple, huh…
Zero (shocked): You do know, Gearlio, that hundreds of explorers and adventurers have been attempting to discover it for a long time and haven't succeeded?
Haag (nervous): Um…
Gearlio (smiling): They didn’t have the “key”.
Haag (nervous): Uh…
Gray: [What] “key”?
Haag (nervous): You guys…
Gearlio (smiling): The keys are the shrine maidens of Toscana, i.e., those ladies over there.
Haag (nervous): Excuse me…
Gray (angry): What are you carrying on about, Haag?
Haag (yelling): Well, um, what exactly is this Crystal Temple?
Zero (exasperated): Somebody in your line of work should know about the Crystal Temple already.
Hagg: *laughs awkwardly* Is that so?
Zero (tipping his hat over his face): *sighs* Fine. Ancient scholars once discovered a stone tablet in the forests of Rakonia.
Hagg (smiling): Uh huh.
Zero: [Those tablets] record of a temple made of crystal and the statue of a goddess sleeping within. Hearing that, many adventurers and explorers set foot in Rakonia.
Hagg (smiling): And…?
Zero (sweatdropping): Eh?
Hagg (smiling): Have you ever seen it [yourself]?
Zero (angry): !! I wish you’d stop talking when I’m not looking at you!
Gray: Anyway, Gearlio, how do Meisha and Alisha act as the “keys”?
Gearlio: I don't know the details either. It was a long time ago that the birdman tribe guarded the sacred treasures…Right now they are [more] desperate to protect themselves.
Gray: Anyway, if we don’t go, we’ll never find anything out.

An assassin hired by Victor to take out the party.

dotchan fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Aug 4, 2022

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

(The party finds themselves assembled before an owl-headed humanoid in a fancy room.)
Zero (shouting): What’s with this village? Isn’t this just an owl?
Gearlio (angry): Watch your mouth, Zero! (recovers) I’m sorry, that was rude. We are drifters from a foreign land, and therefore unfamiliar with the customs of this place. Please forgive us.
Owl Elder: Oho. You know the ways of the bird people quite well. Of course, I’d expect that of a valet.
( :eng101: The original said “batman” but I’m pretty sure they were using the military term and not, you know, the famous DC Caped Crusader. :eng101: )
Gearlio (implied to be bowing): My name is Gearlio. These are the shrine maidens of Toscana and their attendants.
Zero (freaking out, thinking): Attendants!? Don’t talk like that, Gearlio!
Gray (angry, whispering): Be quiet!
Owl Elder: Toscana shrine maidens, huh? Well well. . . So, what do you want in a place like this?
Gearlio: Have you heard anything about the Crystal Temple?
Owl Elder: What’s that? The Crystal Temple? Hm…
Zero (sadly moving his hat over his head): People searched hundreds of times and never found it…what could this old man tell me?
Gearlio: That's because the explorers were all humans. The forest surrounding the Crystal Temple distorts the perception of those with ambitions and desires in their hearts…
Zero (shouting): How would you even know any of that!
Gearlio (shouting): We, the birdmen, are the clan that guarded the skies of the Crystal Temple long ago. That's why Karlno nominated me for this journey.
Owl Elder: Oho~, I see, I see. If you know this much, then you don’t need to keep it a secret any longer.
Meisha (suspicious): Hold on, Gearlio. What are you going to do when you go to the Crystal Temple? The sacred treasure should not be disturbed as per God’s teachings.
Gearlio (irritated): Then tell Victor that, but he won’t listen.
Owl Elder: Victor was acting on rumors. I’ve heard he’s already violated the ruins.
Gray (angry): That doesn’t mean we can do the same.
Alisha (smiling): Let’s go to the Crystal Temple.
Gray (shouting): Alisha!?
Alisha (gentle): How the temple will react to us is up to the gods in heaven to decide. If our deeds are right, the gods will forgive us.
Owl Elder: Hmm. Very well. Now listen carefully. Just go straight through the back forest. Then the temple will appear before you.
Zero (shocked): !! In the forest…?
Gray (shocked): Straight in?
Haag (nervous): That’s it?
Owl Elder: Hm! If your deeds are judged by God to be right, the way will open for you.
Gray (happy): I see, so that’s how it is.
Meisha (smiling): Then, shall we go?

Stage 9: I want to get stronger!

Gray (nervous): How are we to go straight ahead?
Gearlio (smug): It doesn’t even help to see it from above in the sky. I guess I have no choice but to go where I can walk.

The stated goal of the stage is “rescue Kluk” (circled in teal on the screencap), but he is in no danger throughout the entire battle so you can take your time; the eastern flower patch contains an accessory whose purpose isn’t clear (the description reads: “You’re safe from noises that give you headaches and tone-deaf [people] that give you heartache!”) and a northeastern flower patch contains a weapon upgrade for Gearlio.

A skit plays when any ally moves within 1 ~ 2 turns of Kluk:
Meisha (shouting): Huh? Hold on, [look] over there!
(The camera pans to the left.)
Kluk (determined): I-I won’t lose!
(:eng101: In the original, Kluk ends his sentences with “-rally” but I couldn’t work it into the translation. :eng101: )
Kong: *evil laugh* How funny that you think you can stand up to me! *chortles* What a tiresome habit from someone so little! *chortles*
Kluk: *screams*
Kong: Ah, how fun it is to bully the weak! *chortles*
Meisha (worried): How awful!
Gray (sweatdropping): Both the gorilla and the squirrel don’t seem very reasonable…
Zero (smugly tipping his hat): I guess we have no choice but to help.

The creature “menacing” Kluk also taunts the party when targeted for the first time:
Kong: What’s this? *chortles* What do you think you’re doing? *evil laugh*

Though this miniboss is scaled along the same lines as the other things we’ve fought so far, it can only attack from melee and doesn’t give chase so I was able to surround it and whittle away at its health; I feed the kill to Gray.

Kong: I-I’ve lost. *grunts* I’ve gotta run… *grunts*
Meisha: Can you calm down a bit now?
Kluk (angry): Dammit! I won’t let this go next time!
Gray (exasperated): Stop that…
Zero: Sorry, but that opponent was too much [for you].
Kluk (angry): Y-you guys also think I’m a weakling, don’t you?
Haag (nervous): Don’t say that. No matter what, for you to take on that gorilla…
Kluk (angry): I would have been fine! I just had a bad day, that’s all!
Gearlio (smiling): Uh-huh. Anyway, what’s done is done. Now, let’s hurry onward!
Kluk (having calmed down): H-hold on!
Meisha (gentle): What is it?
Kluk: W-where are you guys headed?
Gray (smiling): Why, have you overheard something?
Kluk (sad): So you really are headed to the Crystal Temple…
Zero (shocked): How do you know?
Kluk (sad): It’s better if you stopped.
Meisha (gentle): What do you mean?
Gearlio (annoyed): What could a child like you know?
Kluk (smiling): Some humans fought with the merpeople just now. If you go now, you’ll be attacked by the merpeople [too].
Zero (shouting): Victor’s already here!?
Meisha (shouting): But how!? The Crystal Temple is invisible to the human eye!
Kluk (sad): That’s my fault…
Gearlio (in disbelief): Your [fault]!?
Kluk (sad): I escorted them to the temple.
Haag (shouting): How could you do such a thing!
Kluk (sad): I was s-scared. I was captured by a huge human…
Gearlio (shouting): Ridiculous! What happened to the pride of the Glick people!?
Kluk (sad): I…I…
Gray (shouting): Hurry up! I don’t know if we’ll make it in time [to stop Victor]!
Zero: I just wish we didn't have to fight the mermaids somehow.
Kluk (sad): H-hold it!
Gray (sweatdropping): Now what?
Kluk (determined): I-I’ll go with you!
Gearlio (sweatdropping): You’d better quit [while you’re ahead].
Alisha (sad): ……
Gray: Sure! (smiling) [But] we’ll neither help you nor expect you to help us. Every man for himself, got it?
Kluk (happy): I’ll be fine! Now then, follow me!

The owl-headed elder of the birdman village who gives the party their next quest.
A young squirrel boy who joins the party to make up for guiding Victor’s gang to the Crystal Temple

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

Stage 10: The Mermaid Queen of the Lake

Kluk: We’ve made it! The Crystal Temple is on that little island you see over there!
Zero: …what a beautiful lake.
Gray: Man, I can’t relax a minute with you guys looking here and there with glittering eyes.
(The camera pans north to the island.)
Arp (miffed): You again? Did you not get punished enough?
Gearlio (shouting): Is that the mermaid clan who is guarding the temple?
Arp (angry): Pay attention and listen carefully! I won't let you hurt my precious mermaids any more!
Mermaids: M-ma’am! You’re the best! We’ll follow you for the rest of our lives!
Arp (blushing): So, everyone, do your best. I'll be watching over you from here because I'll be in trouble if I get hurt.
Mermaids: M-ma’am…as scary as ever…we have no choice. C’mon, you brutes!

Kluk joins the party at this point; he attacks from melee and has a command in his menu called “Talk” that allows him to have conversations with the enemy and have a chance to chase them off (this also can cause them to leave behind an item when it happens). The flowers in the upper right corner of the map hide another set of ear plugs.

A short skit plays as soon as any unit targets the stage boss:
Arp (angry): What! Everybody was so serious [and yet]...that’s right! Now, I’m your opponent! Have you the courage to harm this beautiful figure?
Zero (sweatdropping): [What an] unpleasant woman…
Gray (exasperated): I’m not good at dealing with her type, either.
Meisha (angry): You are not at all convincing when you say that. Oh, forget it. Just be careful!

Arp can only attack from melee and isn’t all that tough; I feed the kill to Zero.

Arp (pouting): You’re so mean! *blows bubbles from under the water*
Zero (sweatdropping): If you say so…
Haag (shouting): You’re the one who made her mad!
Arp (pouting): Even if you beat us, you won't be able to enter the temple anyway! Only those who have received God's permission can open that door!
Gearlio (solemn): Exactly. . . And here is the one who has received that permission. Alisha! Put your hand on the temple door.
Alisha (worried): Huh? Why…would you say that?
Gearlio (solemn): As a shrine maiden, you have the power to release all seals. Now open the door, Alisha!
(White light begins to flash.)
Meisha (worried): Alisha!
Haag (yelling): Th-the door…
Kluk (yelling): Is it opening!?
(Nothing happens.)
Gearlio (shouting): What’s going on? Why isn’t it opening?
Gray (alarmed): Hm? Owowow!
Zero (shocked): What’s wrong, Gray? Oh! That’s–!
Meisha (alarmed): The Heaven’s Gate!
Gray (alarmed): drat! It’s gotten super hot all of a sudden.
Gearlio (solemn): Hmph, did you take it after all? Very well, Gray. Let the light of Heaven's Gate shine on Alisha!
Gray (alarmed): What? Why?
Gearlio (solemn): Don't say anything, just hurry up! If the power of God's shrine maiden and sacred treasure are combined, no seal on earth could stand against that.
Gray (alarmed): ?? Will Alisha be in danger?
Gearlio (solemn): She’ll be fine. C’mon, hurry up.
Alisha (smiling): It’s okay, Gray.
(The screen begins to shake.)
Zero (shocked): W-what [now]!?
Meiha (worried): The temple is resonating violently…
Arp (angry): Just what is going on here!
Gearlio (solemn): Now, Alisha, once again, place your hand on the door of the temple!
(The screen fades to white; after vision is restored, the door to the temple is open.)
Arp (on the verge of tears): I-it opened…
Kluk: The door to the Crystal Temple has opened…I can’t believe it…
Gearlio (smiling): It must be the will of the gods to break the seal of the holy Goddess. By the way, Gray, what the heck is that creature?
Zero (freaked out): Gray, you even tricked me, you bastard!
Gray (smiling): I smelled something fishy, so I thought I’d keep quiet for a while. Sorry, Zero.
Gearlio (smiling): ……
Gray (smiling): What will you do, Gearlio? Or shall I call you Karlno’s general?
Gearlio: No, we’re good for now. I’m content to leave the Gate in your hands. Don’t lose it.
Gray (happy): If that happens, you don’t have to hesitate. C’mon, let’s go meet the Goddess!

- The Queen of the Mermaids

Flavor Text Compilation
(Mermaid)
Kluk (happy): Yay! Playing in the water!
Mermaid: Be careful. The summer river flows fast. If you get caught in the vortex, you will be dragged to the bottom at once!

(Funky Kong)
Kluk (determined): I-I’m not scared of you!
(Failure)
Funky Kong: *laughs* I’ll crush you!
(Successful)
Funky Kong: [Then] I’d better stop! I can’t match up to you!

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

Stage 11: Crystal Temple

Kluk (sad): Something is floating [over there]...
Alisha (worried): Sister! Those are…!
Meisha (alarmed): Angels, right?
Zero (freaked out): What in the world!?
Haag (shouting): A-angels!?
Gearlio (smiling): Maybe I should have expected it. Who else would be protecting the goddess' sleep?
Gray (shocked): Surely. . .it wouldn't be strange for a Goddess to have angels surrounding her, but in this situation, I honestly can't accept it.
Arp (yelling): What are you talking about? Aren’t you divine shrine maidens? If you talk to them properly, they will understand, right?
Zero (freaked out): W-what are you [still] doing here!?
Arp (yelling): You know, we mermaids have protected this goddess statue for generations! If the gods had not permitted it, you wouldn’t have made it this far unharmed!
Meisha (solemn): I'm afraid I won't be able to meet your expectations. They only see us as mere "intruders".
Gray (shouting): [I can see] the goddess statue shining dimly over there.
Gearlio: It looks like we have no choice but to push through this group of angels somehow.
Zero (sadly tipping his hat over his eyes): Dammit…I wish I could just shove it under my arm and take off…
Kluk: I-it’d be too dangerous. I-it might be better to give up after all…
Gray (smiling): Perhaps. If that’s what they think of us, then I can slack off a bit, right? Let’s go.

Arp has joined our party. In addition to being able to attack from melee, she has an ability called “Dive” where if she is in water she can use that to hide from enemies.

The stage ends as soon as any allied unit lands on the tile with the Goddess statue (in the top middle of the map).

Gray (shocked): That’s…the goddess statue…
Zero (smiling): It’s pretty!
Arp (pouting): W-well, it’s not as big a deal as I thought.
Gearlio (solemn): It is a goddess statue said to have been created by the gods in the distant past. There must be a hidden power that we cannot reach.
Alisha (in awe): It looks like it could be alive…
(White light flashes; on the second flash, the statue comes to life.)
Alisha (shocked): Eek!
Zero (shocked): What!?
Gray (shouting): Be careful, everyone!
Lady: …who has awakened me?
Haag (shouting): I-i-it talks!
Lady (smiling): It seems I’ve been asleep for quite some time…
(Lady descends from the dais.)
Lady: My name is Lady…that’s all I can remember for now…strange, your faces seem familiar to me somehow.
Meisha: I don’t know if it means anything to you, but we are shrine maidens of Toscana.
Lady (smiling): Toscana? Certainly something is reacting in the corner of my heart. . . I don't know. . .
Zero (puzzled): What am I supposed to do when this happens?
Gray (smiling): Leave it to the will of the gods, I guess.
Arp: Aw, man…What excuse should I give to my ancestors?
Lady (smiling): I don’t know who you are…And I don't know what you're trying to do. But somewhere in my heart I hear a voice.
Alisha (warmly): [What kind of] a voice?
Lady (smiling): That’s right…someone is whispering ‘go with them’.
Zero (puzzled): What’s that supposed to mean?
Gearlio (smiling): ……
Gray: I don't know what God is thinking, but it would be convenient if she came with me. I can't let anybody else get their hands on her anyway.
Kluk (smiling): It'd be great to have a goddess on our side! There'd be nothing to be afraid of anymore!
Meisha (happy): Anyway, let’s get going before Victor attacks us again…

- A magical robot who joins the party after they awaken her.

Flavor Text
(Angel)
Kluk (sad): Miss Angel, I don’t want to fight you.
Angel: Everything is your destiny. Take the path that you think is right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

Stage 12: Alisha

Meisha (sad): I wonder where Victor’s gone?
Lady (angry): I’m sensing countless biological reactions in the eastern direction headed straight for the temple.
Zero (alarmed): They’ve already regrouped!?
Gray: In any case, if they find out that there are no goddess statues in the temple, I'm sure they'll target Toscana again. We have to make it to Toscana before they do.
Arp (smiling): So what are we going to do now? Oh, no mountain [climbing], it’d hurt my fins.
Zero (shocked): Why is it that you’re [still] here!?
Arp (angry): You don’t get it, do you? I have a duty to protect the goddess statue!
Kluk (sad): Just who is protecting who here?
Gearlio (smiling): If you pass through this forest to the west, the plains continue all the way. . . You should be able to get to Toscana without too much trouble.

Lady joins the team at this stage. She has a command called “explore” that uncovers any hidden treasure chests (and since so far the only hidden treasure chests have been marked by flower beds, this is a redundant ability but if you’ve never played any Farland series game before, I suppose Lady is the character that would tutorialize this information). The southern flower bed hides another set of earplugs; the northern flower bed hides a consumable that heals HP; and the western flower bed hides a weapon upgrade for Arp. The town only sells consumable items; I already have plenty and I don’t expect to need many, so I pass on buying them.

The stage ends as soon as any unit steps on the path in the far upper left.
Voice: Look, that’s Rakonia’s Goddess statue.
Gray (shouting): Who’s there!?
Voice: It’s so pretty…I want it.
Zero (shouting): Just where is that [voice coming from]!?
Voice: Look! They’re searching for us.
Alisha (worried): That voice…could it be!?
Voice: *giggles* Must be scary.
Lady (angry): Everyone get down! [I’ll] scan!
(A wave of dark energy fills the screen, after which Viper and Sorel have appeared.)
Sorel (angry): W-what!?
Viper (shouting): Eek!
Alisha (worried): Sorel!
Gray (shouting): You’re…[from] that prison!
Sorel (smiling): I see, this is the Goddess statue’s power to reveal all things in the world.
Lady (angry): “Sorel”? Searching…
Sorel (solemn): Alisha and Meisha, you foolish children. To think that Karlno would manipulate you into opening the seal of the Holy Temple.
Viper: You are in so much trouble when you come back!
Arp (smiling): What’s this? Looks like I’m gonna need to punish you first.
Viper (angry): ‘M-me’? Urgh, I can’t believe she talks like that, Sorel!
(:eng101: Viper is angry because Arp is also using “boku”. :eng101: )
Sorel (smug): Fear not the foolish. Hand over the goddess, the spirit stone, and the two shrine maidens while the light of mercy [still] shines in my heart.
Kluk (angry): That person…when he stares at me with those eyes, I can’t move!
Gray (smiling): Don’t worry about a guy like that.
Meisha (worried): It’s useless, useless…Gray! We have to get out of here!
Sorel (smug): Even if my wounds haven't healed yet, it's easy to deal with you…now come here, Alisha…
Alisha (sad): No…no!
Sorel (angry): I said come here, Alisha!
Alisha (worried): Gray! Help me!
(The screen flashes white, after which Alisha is now standing next to Sorel.)
Alisha (worried): Gray!!
Gray (shouting): Alisha!!
Sorel (solemn): Now then, all that remains is Meisha, the Goddess statue, and the spiritual stone…well?
Meisha (angry): Alisha…
Zero (freaked out): Meisha, why?
Meisha (blushing): Take your hands off of me…
(Meisha gathers energy.)
Lady (angry): Spiritual energy rising rapidly…advanced form attribute activation [detected]...danger! Danger!
(The screen flashes white.)
Sorel (solemn): It can’t be…no way! Viper! Strike!
(After more flashing, Viper, Sorel, and Alisha have disappeared.)
Gray (sad): Ow, owowow…
Zero (freaked out): What in the world happened just now?
Haag (sweatdropping): It’s flashing even behind my eyelids.
Lady (warmly): Form attribute restricted…spiritual energy decreased to standard levels…it seems everyone is alright.
Gray (nervous): Alisha? Where’s Alisha?
Gearlio: [She was] taken away…
Kluk: [They] flew away…
Arp (yelling): [What do you mean,] “flew away”?
Kluk: That scary lady with wings took Miss Alisha and flew away [with her].
Haag (smiling): How could a human fly? Hahaha! Don’t mistake me for that impertinent little girl.
Kluk (angry): You’re wrong! I saw it [with my own eyes]!
Meisha (sad): U-urgh…
Gray (shouting): Meisha! Are you alright?
Meisha (sad): Where’s…Alisha?
Zero (sadly tipping his hat over his face): That Sorel, he…
Meisha (angry): We’ll take her back!
Gearlio (solemn): Calm down, Meisha! Where would you go to get her back?
Meisha (worried): ……
Gray (shouting): Then…just where did Alisha go?
Gearlio (nervous): Well...
Lady (angry): Toscana…
Gray (shocked): Lady?
Lady (angry): Alisha, the spiritual stone Heaven’s Gate, and the last remaining stone, [Jacob’s] Ladder…In the end, the only place where everything should gather is Toscana, where the ruins are located.
Gray (sad): But in the meantime, Alisha…
Zero: They probably won’t hurt her. They can’t afford to lose Alisha either.
Meisha (worried): Forgive me, Alisha! If only my strength [was enough]…
Lady (kind): It’s not your fault, Meisha. On the contrary, thanks to you, everyone was saved.
Meisha (sad): [Because of] me?
Zero (shocked): Don’t you remember, Meisha, [what happened] just now?
Gray (shouting): Drop it, Zero! (smiling) No, nevermind. Anyway, let's go to Toscana. I will definitely get Alisha back! Definitely.

Flavor Text:
Kluk (smiling): Hey, Miss? Why don’t you play with me?
Werecat: What kind of game would you like to play? Something like that? Or something like this?
Kluk: Yaay!