Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
This is being posted with Literally A Bird's permission. This post is largely a crosspost from the foster thread.

Alright y’all, got some tough news. Butterscotch and Monty, his brother are going to be rehomed.

The issue comes down to allergies. I don’t want to get much further into it, but suffice to say, we have no good alternative to rehoming. This wasn’t a decision that we arrived at without a lot of reflection and, of course, we’re both pretty torn up about it.

Let’s be real, Butterscotch belongs to Somethingawful just about as much he belongs to katdicks and me. His triumphant journey happened right here, and you all motivated me to help him reach a healthy weight. My hope for him is that his legacy can live on through a new loving set of hands.

And Monty, his equally wonderful, but entirely different brother is deserving of a great home as well. So having said that, here’s what we’re looking for:

We’re based out of Baltimore, MD. We’d be happy to drive quite a distance to meet someone halfway. So if you’re like… 6 hours? or so from that area, you could very well end up with one of two very awesome cats. Due to the nature of our circumstances, we do need to make this happen, but we’re not in a rush. The most important thing to us is that we find amazing homes for both of our boys. Accordingly, we’d like to video chat with anyone who might like to take on either of our guys.

If you’re interested in taking either cat, but finances are a concern, do not let that deter you. We have some money set aside to help both cats transition to new homes, should that be necessary. In an ideal world, we adopt both cats through this thread, and their journeys can continue on as new rescues! That would be incredible, and we’d be so happy if we can find a way to make it work.

On to both of the boys. They never really got along, and, as I’ll detail further, they’re both probably better of flying solo in a new home.

Butterscotch: Offiically the best cat on the SA forums. Y’all know him well enough by now but here’s some of the things you may not. Butterscotch is incredibly entertaining, cuddly, and active. He is a cat who needs to be the center of attention. If he’s not, he gets stressed out. It just so happens that he will probably be much happier in a different setting than ours, and maybe this unfortunate situation will end up working out for the best for him. He’d do really well in a house with kids who’d like to play with him, or with a single/couple who do not have an infant. Despite the cute pictures and videos, I wouldn’t recommend the infant/butterscotch lifestyle. We would’ve made it work but it is not ideal.

He’s obviously highly food motivated, loves to sleep in beds, and is now perfectly healthy! All you’ll need to do keep him at weight is feed him like you would a normal cat. He may not love that, but he makes do. Our best guess puts him at around 11 years old.

Also; edit: I should add that he's done very well with dogs in the past. Both his previous owner told us about that and he's gotten along very nicely with foster dogs since then. I think because dogs inherently love giving attention he's sort of all about it.

For more info on Butterscotch just go check out the foster thread. Lord knows there's a ton of pictures and stories there.

Monty: The quieter half of the duo. He’s my boy. After I went through a tough breakup, he showed up and was there for me. It’s a total bitch to have to give him up. I’ve had him for six years now and he’s been a great friend. Before I got him, he spent two years out in the wild when he ran away from his previous owner. Then, as cats do, he just showed back up. Now, he typifies ‘chill cat’. He’s very loving to the regulars of the house and would thrive in a relatively calm environment. I wouldn’t recommend a home for him with kids who are younger than high school age or so. Before we got Butterscotch and started all of that fostering, he was pretty much a perfect cat. Since then, he’s had some issues. Most seem largely due to the fact that Butterscotch treats him badly. When Butterscotch spent a night at the vet for dental surgery, Monty seemed much happier. He did have some litter box concerns, but it’s important to note that we didn’t have those issues before Butterscotch. He's just picky and needs it clean. It’s very likely that in a new home he won’t have issues so long as he’s the cat of the house. Our best guess puts him around 12 years old.

So that’s it y’all. When this kind of thing happens, it’s a very unfortunate part of pet ownership. Though it breaks my heart that we’re here, I hope that we can find a wonderful happy ending for our cats. Again, we aren’t in a rush. We will not rehome either one of our cats until we find them a better environment than the one they have now. Until they leave our care, they are our responsibility. We will do right by them.

If you’re interested, PM me, or post in the thread if you don’t have plat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Best of luck to both fine gentlemen.

I'm so sorry you've had to make this decision, Chili!