Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Not like the INF was really enforcing anything anymore.

All hail our mighty protector, Mutually Assured Destruction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
MAD still works even with hypersonic weapons guys. Russia is showing them off to build national pride, not as a serious use case.

Putin isn't stupid, he know if he ever used one offensively, especially with a nuclear payload of any size, poo poo would roll downhill fast.

And decapitating attacks are largely useless due to how the chain of command works, that's just Clancy stuff.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
If AMI dares to follow through now, Bezos will probably be purchasing them for pennies on the dollar by the end of the year.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Vasudus posted:

I don't really know what they thought would happen. You're going to try and extort one of the richest people on the planet for...what? Amazon isn't gonna drop in value over this. Bezos could die today and the stock price might temporarily dip 15%.

And ironically, Bezos took the right action here: He looks innocent in this and they appear to be blackmailing someone to get his newspaper off their case.

Its worth noting this likely violates the Non-Prosecution agreement they made with SDNY over the Trump/Saudi issues. And at this point: They are left holding the loving bag, they can't release the photos as threatened without bringing down even more legal thunder, and they risk severe legal consequences if they hinder SDNYs ongoing investigation into them.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

DoktorLoken posted:

Does this cross the legal threshold for extortion/blackmail or is it just of extremely low taste/morals?

They demanded that his paper stop investigating their firm or they'd release photos of his junk. Its blackmail/extortion.

It wouldn't be if they just released the photos, which is their right. They chose to try to use them as a bargaining chip to stop a newspaper from investigating them by threatening their CEO.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Vasudus posted:

I think the only real relevance this has is on his divorce proceedings, allegedly. It's been awhile since that was discussed because my concept of linear time is breaking down due to unhealthy exposure to TRUMP.

They benefit from Bezo's statement over his newspaper's investigation into them. And yes, it does possibly harm his divorce proceedings. So AMI would benefit from the actions they requested from Bezos.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Arven posted:

Fire suppression went off in their primary data center. None of the failovers worked, and their BCP fell apart instantly. This is one of those situations where everyone who can fix it has little incentive to as the sooner they get things up and running the sooner they'll be fired.

Source for this story?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Arven posted:

Thread from the Syadmin reddit, people posting anonymously claiming first hand knowledge. It all sounds legit and is corroborated by multiple posters.

As usual: If you don't test your DR plan, a failure will test it for you.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/AP/status/1093929610419556353

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

egyptian rat race posted:

I hate the idea of tertiary electronics being shoved into perfectly good mechanical systems for no reason. See: every car made after 2005 or so.

That said I would 100% buy a "brick phone" laser rifle made by Nokia

Nokia laser rifle: Doubles as a warhammer.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

shame on an IGA posted:

They'll take mechanical injection diesel from my cold dead hands

Preach it brother.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

VW 1.9 and 2.4 :dance:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Eej posted:

On the bright side higher global temperatures means the earth will get to see dragonflies with 2.5 feet wingspans again

Nah, need a much richer oxygen atmosphere for that :(

Without a highly oxygen rich atmosphere, large insects cannot get enough air through their spiracles

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Best Friends posted:

To be fair to that horrible weirdo, the popular imagination, left right and center, vastly overestimates the intelligence and foresight of banks.

(I work for a bank)

Also it's entirely possible the banks have figured the government will bail them out.

Its actually kind of weird: Banks know beachfront is high risk in the future.

But they don't care: Average 30 year mortgage lasts 7-10 years before they go bankrupt or sell. Also, banks still get the money if you can't insure the property, and insurance companies are the ones who really bite you here, because unless you are willing to pay a VERY high rate, you won't get your home insurance for beachfront.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Mercedes Carrera, a regular on Gavin Mcinnes' show and Right Wing Gamergater was arrested for sexual abuse of a minor:

https://www.newsweek.com/mercedes-c...sc7UB0_r78ltJew

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

:stare: But...Pizza Hut doesn't last for long. Like 3 days and it'll be moldy as gently caress.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Why not both?

Also: She represents our generations ideals and goals, her sexual appeal is secondary.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Feb 12, 2019

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

less than 2 billion for the wall in the deal supposedly

It also specifically says the wall cannot be anything more than what we already have. The limits will absolutely be a deal killer for Trump.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BaconAndBullets posted:

Of all the people to turn bad, counterintelligence is near (or at top) of that list.

Even worse: She's AWOL, left in 2013, nobody knows where she's gone.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Feb 13, 2019

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

hobbesmaster posted:

Wait they just released an indictment today for someone thats probably been hanging out in Iran for 6 years?

They are not sure she is there, but shortly after her disappearance, suddenly Iran carried out a hacking campaign directly against her colleagues in 2014. It can't be coincidence that it happened.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I bought a TDI, because I can do both environmentally conscious and AWD.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Again, its anonymous sources. This is the same stuff that came out like 4 days ago. And like 2 days ago, Chicago PD came out and said it wasn't true.

https://twitter.com/AJGuglielmi/status/1096206043728789507

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Regardless of the outcome of the Empire Incident, the Right was responsible for nearly all terrorism last year, this doesn't make up for it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Jarmak posted:

That's not how government funding into Pharmaceutical research works at all, which mostly goes to the basic science and target research, the R&D to develop the drugs themselves is done overwhelmingly by the drug companies.

No. Most R&D is still funded by government grants, even when done internally at a for-profit.

And most of those government grants require the research to be made public, but more often than not its kept secret.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK50972/

NIH and DARPA frequently fund drug and treatment research that is patented and sold at a hefty cost.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Feb 18, 2019

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Even in that source, Government funding far outstrips Private. And that's JUST the NIH.

So, no, I'll contend that Government funding still makes up a large portion. And I'm still willing to bet that NIH spending cuts are Republican driven.

gently caress private pharmaceutical companies. Especially in the day and age where people are getting so desperate due to skyrocketing medical and drug costs, that they are rationing insulin.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Jarmak posted:

In what hosed up math world does less than half "far outstrip" more than half?

edit:

I meant funding as in dollars.

What are you trying to prove here Jarmak?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Jarmak posted:

Did you also mean "way more than" as in "way less than"?

What are you trying to prove with this? C'mon now. That the same fuckers that increased the price of insulin from $200 to nearly $500 a month deserve our praise?

Or epipens:

Man, I hope they fund some life saving treatments with that blood money.

"Don't worry, you can trust me, folks."

Or an $89k price tag for a treatment for a rare disease:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/02/13/outrage-over-a-drug-price-controversy-is-building-in-congress-again/

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Feb 18, 2019

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Jarmak posted:

Yup "we should put more money into developing more cures for diseases" <-- unethical bad faith corporate planning

"So we can jack up the prices over 5,000%"

If you are going to drag others for 'Truth', maybe you need to be honest too?

Jarmak posted:

Facts matter, the truth matters, this is a transparent deflection.

Yes they do, so start telling us some facts and explain the price gouging on life saving and critical medications like insulin, or stop pretending you are arguing in good faith.

People are DYING over the inability to pay into a for-profit medical system, so start explaining why this is acceptable.

https://twitter.com/jonswaine/status/1097574608692264961

Stone is still under a gag order....and is now posting on his instagram images of the Judge in his case with crosshairs over her.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Jarmak posted:

"I can make up things and lie because they're the bad guys, I won't question people saying wrong things because they're on my team"

I fully admit I was mistaken in how much funding is Governmental, and I'll stand by your correction.

But YOU need to explain how price gouging by private pharmaceutical companies is going to make up for their increased R&D spending, and why people have to die for this. You need to explain how Insulin, a publicly researched and developed medicine, which you can buy for $25 over the counter for your pet, costs patients nearly $500 a month.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Nuclear is the future, baby

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Nick Soapdish posted:

:yeshaha:

Death panels but for real (government run this time not like the current private ones)

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Association_of_American_Physicians_and_Surgeons

These guys are goofy

quote:

The society's "journal" JPANDS has published an article on the supposed link between breast cancer and abortion.[44] It has been roundly debunked.[45][46][47] Near the end of the 2008 Presidential Election the "journal" published a claim that Barack Obama uses neuro-linguistic programming to exercise mind control over people at his rallies.[48]

On their website, former AAPS president Dr. Lawrence Huntoon describes peer review boards which review complaints against doctors as "an insidious and spreading evil which threatens to destroy not only the integrity of the medical profession but quality care for all patients."

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Further proof that bodycams are a GOOD thing: No question she did the right thing, and that he was the aggressor.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

hobbesmaster posted:

As far as US sponsored war crimes in central/south america goes this is actually pretty tame.

Yeah but the point is Marduo, evil poo poo as he is, is just about the same as the opposition, who are just another Right Wing death squad group waiting to happen.

There's no good side here.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
North Korean kompromat posing as a massage parlor?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/jennycohn1/status/1099816254716600321

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

LingcodKilla posted:

Y’all such Debby downers. Look on the bright side. You or your children may get a chance to heroic on the Fury Road or whatever.

Like they'll find the fuel to keep big block V8s on the road.

The grim future is exclusively 1980s Merc diesels.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Slim Pickens posted:

And they render down human fat into biodiesel :black101:

Glad we could work a Soylent green solution into this.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Soulex posted:

I am glad I have kids. I would likely be dead without them.

I love my kids too, and all the more reason I'm fighting for the Green New Deal.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Feb 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

December 2004 was my last serious sickness of flu poo poo. Haven't had a flu shot since 2012 or so, I think. The secret is to stay the gently caress away from children.

Get your flu shot, you rear end in a top hat.