Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

citybeatnik posted:

What fresh vine ripened free ranged hell did this abomination crawl out of.

I’m guessing it’s the product of the unholy union between SoundCloud rappers and anime nerds, in which case bring on the nukes and/or the climate change fueled superbug because it’s only downhill from here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

Just uncritically repeating the claim that Iran and Hezbollah are operating in Venezuela in a way that makes them a credible threat.

We're gonna find out some VZ guy said "Man, gently caress the USA" online and a Hezbollah poster replied, "lol same," aren't we?

Hezbollah is very much in Venezuela.

They’re also all over Africa.

They’re probably also in the US.

There’s a HUGE Lebanese diaspora throughout the world, and anywhere you have a sizable Lebanese expat population, you probably have some Hezbollah financiers or facilitators in the mix. That certainly doesn’t make them a national security threat to the US, or even to the countries in which they have a presence.

Unless Hezbollah is starting to put suicide vests on migrants like in the hit documentary Siccario 2, then it’s a complete bullshit thing for Pompeo to claim.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

That Works posted:

:same:

I was pissed when we got the letter from WF saying "Surprise we own your mortgage now!"

eat poo poo and die dudes. Barring catastrophe I'll probably never miss a payment and pay down early. I am angry that they are receiving more than $0.01 of profit from me in any way.

At least my mortgage payment went through on the first. Otherwise yeah, gently caress Wells Fargo and I was also bummed that they bought my mortgage from my original lender, who I loved.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

sharknado slashfic posted:

Curious to see if the Trump/Kavanaugh playbook of the "it wasn't me" defense is actually going to work for Governor Whatshisname.

I think Northam might actually squeak by, heavily damaged and politically toxic, but Lt. Gov. Fairfax is probably going down. A second woman just came forward and accused him of sexual assault.

I do think this is going to really loving hurt the Dems in VA in 2020.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I really wrestle with whether I want to bring a kid into this world with the knowledge of what’s to come in terms of environmental degradation. Part of me wants to spare them that horror and just spend the rest of my life living as best as I can with my future wife; another part of me wants to raise a child to be a good person and to fight for the future in a way that previous generations didn’t.

It’s tough because my fiancée and i’s best friends gave birth in the past two years, and I think she’s very much like it if all of our kids could grow up together. I’d feel a lot better if I knew my kid would turn out to be Furiosa and not just cannon fodder or Immortan Joe.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

All I know is that if I get stuck in West Africa because another shutdown prompts ATCs to go on strike, I’m going to get good and goddamned pissed.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

BigDave posted:

But how would drinking help?

Well, I should have clarified that I meant pissed off but there’s only so much drinking by myself and watching action movies on my
iPad that I can do to distract from how much I miss my fiancée and doggy. :(

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

:drat: that’s some serious shade right there.

I for one could do without another lovely Drug Warrior in the White House.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Meanwhile, the case of the SEAL who knifed a teenage IS fighter to death and became so unhinged that his teammates hosed with the zero on his rifle has taken an even worse turn:

https://twitter.com/NoahShachtman/status/1095029784013430784

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I just left a hipster mosque in Tehran. It was packed full of clerics, whispering about how President Trump may actually be the 12th Imam. America is PROUD that the Mahdi has returned!

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

Schools are in a tough position, because they need to placate parents that their children are "safe" but administrators and teachers know there's really nothing they can do.

Considering how a school shooting taking place at any given school is an extremely low probability but super high impact events, yeah, lockdown drills probably do more harm than good, as it does when rear end in a top hat kids vote their classmates “most likely to be a school shooter” or whatever. It’d be a better time of time and resources to instruct kids and teachers on basic first aid/stop the bleed- not just for something like that, but for the infinitely more likely “my friend fell off their bike and they’re really hurt, what should I do?”

Oh yeah and maybe figuring out a way to keep assholes/violent psychopaths from getting weapons of any kind, but that’s really out of the hands of anyone in the educational system.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Also looks like Lyndon LaRouche died.

https://www.dailykos.com/story/2019/2/12/1834283/-Lyndon-LaRouche-has-died-but-his-CTs-live-on

Group choir practice tonight is going to be a real downer.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Don’t any of you fuckers post the Rover comic.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Here’s an article about how Parkland is buying an expensive video surveillance system that supposedly flag suspicious movement or activity. I am absolutely assured that this system won’t be abused at this school or any other that it is installed at. Video surveillance in and of itself isn’t a bad thing in most contexts, but the best security systems involve physical, technological, human and procedural elements, and you really can’t put your faith in one while skimping on the others.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Tryzzub posted:

street sweepers will sort that

I may be an outlier here, but can we not actively wish for this? Think of the immense strain these poor people will be under, the trauma that they’ll endure from having to deal with the short-sighted decisions of others. These people won’t exactly have it easy.

I’m talking about street sweepers having to mop up the broken bodies of vulture capitalists and aspiring robber baron landlords, who did you think I meant?

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Reports are claiming the shooter works/worked there and has been arrested; hopefully this wasn’t a really bad one.

Now here’s a bunch of drug dealers that I wouldn’t mind seeing get shot.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I fly internationally for work quite a bit, generally to sub-Saharan Africa. My agency’s travel policy puts me in business class for long haul transatlantic flights, which is obviously great, but the rest of my itinerary usually has me on African carriers. For a lot of these countries, having a national carrier is something of a bit of pride, so they actually try to make you feel like you’re being treated like a real human being. It’s way better than most domestic economy travel in the US where they soak you for every dollar for a lovely experience.

That said, airport screening in West Africa is hilariously bad. I had a pair of 2”, soft tipped scissors that I use for trimming my beard confiscated out of my bag while they completely missed the much larger trauma shears in my FAK.

I too wish rail travel in the US was more widespread. It’s comfortable and pleasant. Some day, I’d love to spring for a sleeper car and travel cross country via Amtrak.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

And thus. Two Finger set off in his beautiful barbeque balloon. Never to be seen again.

The exhaust from the smoker can be the balloon’s inflation and navigation system! Need to change course? Just reposition the brisket a little bit.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1097116612279316480

If only there was some sort of government policy that mandated equally unfunny skits on SNL for poor, beleaguered Republicans to poke fun at Democrats. Some sort of doctrine, perhaps. Maybe it could be called a Fairness Doctrine?

Alec Baldwin’s Trump shtick was funny for like the first few weeks of 2017, but it’s really lost its novelty. Its main value is that it keeps getting under Trump’s skin in a bigly way.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

BigDave posted:

https://apnews.com/33f8229a76c646299bfedad5a861358f

Trump is getting ready to veto a Congressional disapproval of his 'emergency'.

The most prominently disturbing thing here is how Miller’s hairline continues to defy a consistent position between any given day.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

:killing:, beginning with the “analyst” who wrote that paper. That’s just cartoonishly evil.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Jarmak posted:

The Twitter post is not an accurate characterization of that article.

The proposal is to train special USAID teams to work in hostile environments where they need to coordinate with military forces (the article gives special forces as an example) for security because currently they don't have the capability to do anything other than hole up in the capital if the country is dangerous.

Why not just expand the active duty Civil Affairs part of SOCOM if these aid workers are going to be operating alongside other SOCOM elements and receiving similar training?

Also, anecdotally speaking, I’ve heard more about USAID people not adhering to security protocols (like using armored vehicles) on field missions because they felt like it was distancing them from communities they were trying to serve.

This sounds like budget dollars hunting, tbh

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I’m on super lovely WiFi right now so I can’t pull up the articles, but in recent days, WaPo and the NYT have been running articles about women who joined the Islamic State between 2014-2016 and got married to fighters and are now in the custody of the Kurds. The UK has already revoked the citizenship of hundreds of men who went to Iraq or Syria, and some of these women (who have kids) are facing potential statelessness as well.

I kind of feel like this is basically “play stupid games, win stupid prizes” and frankly wish these people nothing but a hard life of misery, but at the same time, I also realize that this is counterproductive in that it plays into the jihadi narrative of Western persecution. Also, these kids didn’t ask to be born into this situation, and they don’t deserve to be punished for their mom’s dumb decisions. I’m at a loss as to how to reconcile that tension into a policy.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

MaxPowers posted:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1098201685518893056

I wish I could get millions for just smiling at some pog bitch refrigerator repair idiot. A lot of conspiracies being proven true....I'd bet a weekend at bernies marathon that RBG is dead as gently caress.

So dead that she wrote the unanimous opinion against asset forfeiture just the other day. Zombie Ginsberg is A-OK by me; long live our glorious Justice Lich Queen!

Ps SMDFTB and GTFO

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

psydude posted:

Read this article if you don't want to sleep tonight.

Climate Change is Making Tick Populations Explode

Nuke the world to eradicate ticks. We’ll all die too obviously, but it’s worth it to die knowing that we’ve taken them with us.

I loving HATE ticks.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I'm gonna remember this tweet any time someone describes Rubio as 'one of the adults in the room'.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ooh! I’ll take “Reasons Why You Should Never Voluntarily Dismantle Your Nuclear Program” for $800, please!

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

psydude posted:

Netanyahu, desperate to cling to power, has formed an alliance with a literal terrorist group in order to win a couple of extra votes.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/24/...pgtype=Homepage

Netanyahu practically has an alliance with Hamas as they’ve probably played an outsized role in getting him re-elected several times over.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Reign Of Pain posted:

Im moving to live underwater

I don’t want to have kids anymore :( I don’t want them to live through this stuff. At least I’ll get to die with memories of seeing loving clouds, let alone coral reefs and snow.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

LongDarkNight posted:

Regional nuclear war is extremely 2019.

That’ll solve the global warming issue for a bit.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

You guys I’m starting to think that President Trump is not a good person at all.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Also, back to India/Pakistan, I don’t see how this is a good development:

https://twitter.com/Conflicts/status/1100788322455207936

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Sounds like KJU was pushing for sanctions relief and wouldn't budge on some of the nuclear sites that the US wanted to address so the whole thing fell apart. Plus,

https://twitter.com/nktpnd/status/1101025721248595969

:chaostrump:

Reminder: Trump believes Putin didn’t interfere in the 2016 elections (despite the IC’s conclusion that he did), that MBS didn’t personally order the murder of Jamal Khashoggi (despite the IC’s conclusion that he did) and that KJU knew nothing about Warmbier’s incarceration and torture despite a federal judge holding DPRK to account for $500 million.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Known intellectual and well-qualified counterterrorist Dr. Gorka appears to have confused Joseph Stalin with the Hamburglar:

https://twitter.com/alexnazaryan/status/1101132024356712449

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ok, who had Luke Perry on their 2019 death list?

https://www.tmz.com/2019/02/28/luke-perry-stroke-riverdale-beverly-hills-90210-hospitalized/