Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
This is a hastily thrown together thread because I'm at Sundance and posting threads on a phone us annoying. I'll edit it a bit later to look nicer but here is what's supposedly coming out this month
Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown [PC] – February 1
DreamWorks Dragons Dawn of New Riders [PC, PS4, XBO, Switch] – February 1
Song of Memories [PS4] – February 1
Wargroove [PC, XBO, Switch] – February 1
Ape Out [PC, Switch] – February 7
BlazBlue CentralFiction Special Edition [Switch] – February 8
God Eater 3 [PC, PS4] – February 8
Monster Energy Supercross - The Official Videogame 2 [PC, PS4, XBO, Switch] – February 8
Stunt Kite Party [Switch] – February 8
Arcade Spirits [PC] – February 12
Trials Rising [PC, PS4, XBO, Switch] – February 12
Degrees of Separation [PC, PS4, XBO, Switch] – February 14
OlliOlli: Switch Stance [Switch] – February 14
Constructor Plus [Switch] – February 15
Crackdown 3 [PC, XBO] – February 15
Dead or Alive 6 [PC, PS4, XBO] – February 15
Far Cry New Dawn [PC, PS4, XBO] – February 15
Jump Force [PC, PS4, XBO] – February 15
Metro: Exodus [PC, PS4, XBO] – February 15
Anthem game [PC, PS4, XBO] – February 22
Aragami: Shadow Edition [Switch] – February 22
Dirt Rally 2.0 [PC, PS4, XBO] – February 26
The Lego Movie 2 Videogame (US) [PC, PS4, XBO, Switch digital] – February 26
NieR: Automata: Game of the YoHRa Edition [PC, PS4] – February 26
Townsmen - A Kingdom Rebuilt [PC] – February 26
Constructor Plus [PC, PS4, XBO] – February 28

Ok, have fun you crazy kids

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Real hurthling! posted:

Play that one bad guilty gear, izuka

Guilty Gear 2: Overture was also real bad

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo this looks insanely awful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IpMDh23WP4

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Accordion Man posted:

It's by the Sexy Brutale devs, so it could potentially be good.

Well that's good to know at least but that trailer us just abysmal looking

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Oh man I fell behind on this thread. Sundance was fun and now I have a cold. I know I'm overdue on the contest but I'll get to that soon enough.

Here'e Lady Maria of my Catte

What's been going on?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
How the hell did I get 1200 posts behind? Did anything actually happen?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I saw that. Between that, Buzzfeed and I think a third company posting record profits but also posting record profits, while also having a government shut down that left people forced to work without pay, the theme of this year really seems to be "UNIONIZE"

I also did start playing Overwatch again right about the time that news hit, so sorry everyone.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Cowcaster posted:

they're announcing that they're renaming it the nintendo swanch

No, they're clearly gonna rename it The New Nintendo Wii U

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I know it's more a thing about main characters in serial animes but it is almost kind of staggering how long the character trailer for Jump Force goes on and how few of the characters shown are women. Like I thought Fighterz was bad in this regard but it looks so much worse when your pulling from so many series.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I feel it being for teen boys only excuses so much. I mean first of all teen otakus to love their waifus too and also because most of these series do in fact have plenty of female characters. Part of the problem is because it's the type of game it is, you get mostly main characters, who, often, are the blandest character in their series with the least interesting powers. There are exceptions but it makes the lineup, despite it's size, really samey and really dull if you don't know the character. Another thing is while there are female characters in these shows, they are always the love interest, or the motherly one or the smart one but rarely are they the one that ever gets to do cool poo poo, so they rarely make the cut. Then there's the selection, which tends to go on popularity rather than if they would be good in the game, so even when you have women, you have someone like Boa Hancock who frankly is always one of the least interesting One Piece characters to play in any game she's in, but she's popular so she always gets in.

Like I understand why the cast is kind of dull but the reasons are still not something that reflects well on the game or what it's based on and it just seems like the wrong things were prioritized at certain points.

Really the best way for something like this is how Capcom originally were with the Marvel fighting games, where after they got the basics down, they didn't really give a gently caress about the characters in the context of the original thing, just in who they thought would be fun to play and who people wanted to play.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

cheetah7071 posted:

Yeah but not as the main character. The hottie is supposed to be just out of reach for the self-insert main character, so they can identify with the struggle of finding their own hottie

it's somewhere between moderately and greatly hosed up just how common this pattern is

I honestly respect One Piece more than most because the creator literally seems to be 12 and seems to think romance is gross but boobs are cool. This is somehow the far less hard to stand way to approach things.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
That reminds me that I've been meaning to ask:

What the heck is Apex Legends and why does it seem like was suddenly everywhere overnighr?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
unrelated to all of this, I was randomly in an anime mood and started and anime and it seems very anime and I can't tell if I like it or if it's awful or both yet.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I mean I could just tell you what anime I'm watching or you could guess, bringing up things so horrible that when it's revealed I'm watching The Seven Deadly Sins, it will be disappointing.

Trying to determine if this is good or just liked because it has an adorable pig and a giant Waifu

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
l'll give Seven Deadly Sins some more time, but yeah, it's fairly average other than the cute pig, who is very cute and the giant Waifu, who seems like an excellent Waifu if I can judge these sorts of things. Still, it's not terrible and the perviness is relatively mild.

While I was on Netflix I also watched an episode of Little Witch Academy and it seemed way better, so maybe I'll just watch that.

I honestly have a ton of anime watching options if I wanna watch some anime though. I got Netflix and Prime, a friend's Crunchyroll account and I just subscribed to funimation so I can watch Nichijou (which I really like a lot so far), so really anything I should be watching that's on any of those, let me know because I haven't been in an anime mood in *checks watch* 20 years??? So might as well lean into this if I have the options.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I just want Mario Maker 2 announced and I'd prefer for them to do a bunch with it, but I guess they don't actually need to. With Media Molocule going all in on making a powerful but not easy to make playable stuff with tool, I need the Nintendo version that takes out everything until they're left with a level creator that's hard to gently caress up and the best for what it is outside of actual rom hacking and programing.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I guess if you care, this is my brief history with anime and what I've liked and the context in hwich I am now looking for some anime to watch.

I got into anime when I was young and I was shown robot anime whose name I'm completely blanking and was taken by it and watched a few more things they had (Riding Bean, Mermaid Forest). Anime at the time was both really expensive (like $30-50 for a VHS with a handful of episodes) and hard to find, so I focused on Manga because it was cheaper and it was slightly easier to find. In that time I got really into Ranma, Lum, Battle Angel, Parasyte, Gunsmith Cats,The DIrty Pair (though it was the American version) and stuff a bunch of stuff I can't even remember with the occasional anime thrown in like Tenchi, El Hazard and Dragon Half (which only had the one video anyways). Still, after awhile the quality was too hard to determine up front and it was so expensive and so hard to find that I just gave up.

Then like later that year Pokemon becamse huge an anime was was plentiful and everywhere but I just didn't care anymore. Literally did not watch anything outside of a Miyazaki movie for years. At one point I was convinced to check out Berserk and I loved it but also hated it because the anime ends at like the worst point. I still didn't hook me and the fact that I didn't really care for a ton of the classics I was occasionally checking out (Akira, FLCL, NGE, Paprika) didn't help.

Then I saw a clip of Panty and Stocking and was interested in how loving weird it looked so I checked it out, and while it certainly had some pretty terrible episodes, I enjoyed how crazy and trollish it was. Later I got Pirate Warriors 2 for $10 and enjoyed it more than any other Musou game I had ever played, so I checked out the manga and liked it but lost interest after it just went on and on and on and on (will probably jump back in after a few years).

Recently I've decided to just say "gently caress it" and try more of these series out. Still haven't watched a ton but Chi's Sweet Home is the best, Pop Team Epic was crazy, In general my tastes go more towards the absurd and/or horrifying with a mood of being deeply unsettling, really silly and absurd, or both.

Man, I just wrote way WAY too much about anime. Sorry about that!

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Also while I was writing that we got Mario Maker 2 so :woop:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Did they give a date on Mario Maker 2?

I just kind of want it now, though I know x-mas is probably the earliest we'll see it.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Still too far away but SWEET

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Gunbusters! The name of the first anime I ever watched was Gunbusters!

poo poo, that was driving me nuts.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Internet Kraken posted:

They turned Fire Emblem into a loving HIGH SCHOOL ANIME

gently caress

I haven't played an FE but hasn't it been that since at least the DS games?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I am totally down for this Tetris that will be worse than PPT and WAY worse than Tetris Effect.

Not even joking

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Links Awakening remake????

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
These graphics are...real bad

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I really don't like how Link's Awakening looks. To me it looks way uglier than the original

Still probably buy it

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

But yeah like, the military academy is a better excuse for a homebase than whatever the hell Fates was trying to do, they seemed to have actual mechanics built around it, and pretty much everything in the latter half of the trailer/a lot of the stuff in the first trailer made it pretty clear that you'd be doing generic teaching stuff for so long and would get caught up in a standard fire emblem war at least by the halfway point, if not sooner. Iunno why people are freaking out.

I think people are kind of annoyed at how much more directly anime FE has become over the years and setting it in high school is just a step too far for some

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

al-azad posted:

My favorite thing whenever a new Zelda is revealed is how bad people say it looks then it comes out and everybody's like "wait a minute, all the little flourishes actually make it look great!"

Not even talking about Wind Waker here, people said previous greatest Zelda (A Link Between Worlds) looked awful and they were all wrong lol

...I just don't like how the style looked in the trailer at all. Sorry I guess?

It was especially disappointed with that lush hand drawn intro so I was hoping for something like that and instead it looks like a blander 3D Dot Game Hero.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Jay Rust posted:

What would you like to see in a MM2 (Mario maker 2)?

Mario Land tileset

Also if mystery mushrooms aren't usable in every tileset this game is going straight in the garbage

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Phantasium posted:

Somehow I don't think 150+ costumes have been rendered in at least 5 different art styles.

And also I imagine they're not all coming back.

Straight

In

The

Garbage

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Relax Or DIE posted:

Only the most important 2 alternate sprites need to return: long Mario and the Mercedes

Sorry this is factually the best one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozC5aru8tYw

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Jay Rust posted:

Does Mario maker let you add your own Mario paint music?

Kind of

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

I guess to give more detail, you cold place note blocks and also control the sound they made and you could make objects hit them at the right times and people used this to make music, It worked like an extremely jank Mario Paint music maker.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

homeless snail posted:

yeah that would be good, somehow none of these creation games that part right. even dreams kind of sucks at that, which they acknowledge by just letting people curate stuff manually and build collections of what they think is cool

The problem is that while some levels are obviously garbage, there are also many that are far more in the eyes of the beholder. Like some people like the auto playing levels while other people think that they are the bane of the game. Some people live for the Kaizo stuff and some of that stuff is insanely well designed, but 99% of people that get to those levels won't be able to make it passed the first screen and will think it's garbage.

Much of this can be solved with community curation and a thorough tag system but Nintendo have never bee great about that stuff and even if they make it easier to link to good levels, I don't think Nintendo would ever want to implement something like negative tags or downvoting.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

If you were going to spell out it why even bother abbreviating.

So other people participating in the conversation can use MM2 knowing that it has been defined within the conversation and will probably not be confused with Mega Man 2.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
X posting

Celebrate the day with a new waifu
https://twitter.com/videogamedeals/status/1096107261674573825

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Tetris 99 is annoyingly low effort (basis bland graphics, online only, single so-so Tetris remix for music, single mode, very few options, classic game with current trend pasted on) and it's especially annoying because it is still SO loving GOOD.

It being free helps, though I'd honestly have paid for it.

It is a really good companion to Tetris Effect because other than controlling well and being Tetris, one does perfectly what the other lacks and vice versa. Tetris Effect is still the better game, but it's also way more expensive and has pretty much nothing for you if you want to play versus Tetris.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I thought the deal with Tetris was that Ubi had western download console publishing rights, which they tried to argue made it so only they could have the game on current gen, but it got whittled down to them being able to make the US release of the PS4 version of PPT physical only. With Tetris Effect I think Ubi just stopped caring at this point because they don't have any plans to make any new Tetris games and the one they made has a bad reputations and is constantly on deep discount. I don't think the Tetris Company actually gives a poo poo if there's more than one Tetris on a console.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Cowcaster posted:

do i need to play the first 98 tetrises to understand the backstory

Yes. Get on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
You will come to hate the dastardly S Block and his Twin Sister the devious Z block.