Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I relate to Baby Mario because I'm a widdle baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

A farm of infants suspended in mid-air by VR headsets.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

I've never cared for DBZ.

How dare you

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Welp, EDF 4.1 is in the new Humble Monthly. I've managed to avoid playing one of those games thus far, but I guess it's finally time for me to strap on my bug-stomping shoes.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I convinced my friend who'd never played a Resident Evil before to try Re2make.

He loved it and told me he's playing RE4 next. Proud gamer moment.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

It always blew my mind when people used sniper rifles in Titanfall 2. It's like, a game where you have jetpacks and free running and giant robots and some people still decide it's more fun to lay prone on a rooftop clicking on things :psyboom:

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Looper posted:

people really like bioware's games because of the writing, right? I've never heard people talk about the gameplay

Depends on the game. I think the Mass Effect series is good on both fronts, with 2 really hitting the sweet spot.

Dragon Age: Origins also has my fave crpg gameplay ever, some of that is down to nostalgia though.

It was really Dragon Age 2 where they got off the rails imo. There seemed to be a pervading idea over there that all people care about is flashy moves and set-pieces (the "awesome button" controversy was an example of that).

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I tried to play some of that game Cultist Simulator over the weekend but it is obscenely stressful. There are constantly timers ticking down and there's zero explanation of what you're supposed to be doing and I know that's kind of the point but I don't like it.

And I was feeling all this when there were only like 6 cards on the table. I looked up some images and I have no idea how people can keep this poo poo straight

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

I got addicted to it one day over the weekend and then woke up the next morning and realized that even though I'd played it a ton I still didn't like it

Thank god I escaped the cult's brainwashing and deleted it

The thing is I think the idea of a sort of long-form deck building experience like that could definitely be cool. But there are so many cards and possible combinations that the purposeful obfuscation of game-mechanics is really unnecessary.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Game looks fun

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I for one am glad Respawn gets to try to make something new.

How about instead of crying that it's not Titanfall 3, we give the good developer the benefit of the doubt and hope for the best?

I will be trying it out soon.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Samuringa posted:

This is a kidney stone that the devs were forced to pass

I mean, maybe? But also even if they felt pressured to make this game, it doesn't change the fact that they have proven their ability to make fun first person shooters. Sure Battle Royale is very flavor of the month right now but that doesn't mean the game can't be quality.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

homeless snail posted:

I'm glad they get to make something new, a *looks at clipboard* uh f2p hero shooter battle royale game

It's a battle royale with respawns. Say what you will about chasing a trend, they are at least attempting something new.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Does anyone in this thread play battle royales?

Yeah I enjoy PUBG and Blackout. Actually played a poo poo load of pubg in early access but never really got any good.

I miss when The Culling was popular. I liked the emphasis on melee weapons. It led to a lot more mind-games.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Spent the evening playing Apex Legends (ugh that name) and it's actually fun as gently caress? I feel like it makes a ton of smart updates to the formula.

Just being able to revive teammates is huge. I revived a guy on my team when there were only 4 total people remaining, turning a 1v3 into a 2v3. It keeps death from being frustrating and instead you're waiting to see if your teammates can turn the tables.

Hope people give it a chance. I know it's not Titanfall 3 but it still feels great to play and I feel like Respawn really put a lot into it.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Phantasium posted:

So I've been drifting through Steam Queues again for the heck of it, and yesterday I found that Dragon View was just randomly released on Steam, and today I found this game:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/425770/Answer_The_Question/

At first I was waiting for the shoe to drop that this was something like Frog Fractions or whatever, but instead I noticed that the developer was just somebody's name and found out through the discussion pages that somebody just went and published their daughter's little game. :3:

https://twitter.com/manfightdragon/status/1022759518692814849

I appreciate that that guy appears to still live in 2008.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I've been wondering lately about Activision/Blizzard. I feel like for a LONG time they had at least one series that was absolutely dominant in its market. WoW, CoD, Overwatch, Destiny. But now they've split from Bungie, interest in Overwatch is dwindling, and it just feels like they don't know how to manage their IPs.

Part of me feels like a year from now Blizzard is going to release some killer app and be back on top again, but then again we're in a really strange lull and that whole company feels like it's lost its way.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I said come in! posted:

For Blizzard, we know they are working on multiple new projects that haven't been announced yet. So it'll be a lot longer than a year. They've abandoned Heroes of the Storm, and Diablo III, both games are apparently in maintenance mode. We know Diablo 3 is no longer being worked on and multiple expansion packs were canceled behind the scenes, their team is working on Diablo 4, and Immortal (mobile lol).

Blizzard could probably just survive off of only updating and working on World of Warcraft if they wanted.

I feel like it's a symptom of the insane industry bubble that these massive dev studios can't seem to get a AAA game to the point of even being able to market. The last game Blizzard released was Overwatch in early 2016, how is it this world-class dev studio has gone nearly 3 years with nothing to show for it but a lovely mobile game that they basically didn't even make?

There needs to be more oversight on these projects so that they don't just bloat and spin their wheels for years at a time.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I feel like the pervading sentiment that delay > buggy/bad game has been a double-edged sword for a lot of devs. They seem to be a lot quicker these days to lose huge swaths of time because they decided to scrap stuff and start over rather than just sticking to their course and getting something out there.

Not to mention everyone feeling like the only way to survive is if you find a way to monetize your games on the level of Hearthstone/Fortnite. It's clearly not true (Sony has done a great job of demonstrating this) but there are still a ton of studios that I'm sure scrap ideas constantly because they didn't have enough places to insert monetization.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

Is Hearthstone still the most popular card game or was it sent to the shadow realm/verse

I believe it still does quite well for Blizzard. It's just not a market with much competition, especially since Artifact crashed and burned hilariously.

I've heard the new Magic the Gathering game is supposed to be quite good, but I don't know that they necessarily eat into each other's market shares.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Activision really should have released Blackout as a free, stand-alone product. Use it to up-sell people into the standard Black Ops 4 modes and monetize with cosmetics.

It's probably too late now with Apex, but they definitely could have taken a chunk out of that BR pie if they had removed the financial barrier to people trying Blackout. There's just no reason to make it part of the premium Black Ops package, then you're only getting CoD fans instead of hitting the massive Fortnite fanbase.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Why did Artifact fail?

It's not fun to play. It's not fun to watch.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I'll have a day at work tomorrow with virtually nothing to do. Anyone have any recs for phone games that actually feel substantive?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

so what does Apex do diff from the other royales

The respawn system is a great mechanic. In other battle royales, if team members die there's always the awkward "well...you can keep going if you want...but maybe we should just quit and start over?" Because nobody wants to just sit there while the rest of the round plays out but also nobody wants to be the rear end in a top hat that forces their friends to quit when they're still alive.

Making your team members return to your corpse if they want to revive you forces them to stay in the action. So either they too die to the team that killed you, or they manage to get to your corpse and get you revived.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Update: I did not get fired but things are hella tense RN. Prolly gonna be lots of staff meetings in the near future. But for the time being I'm employed and can afford DMCV Deluxe, phew.

Hurray for steady employment! Are you in a position where you can look into other options?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

an actual dog posted:

Wait, volition died?

I don't think so? They made that crappy game Agents of Mayhem but I didn't think it killed the studio or anything.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Kingdom Hearts 3 is real rough. In the KH games that I played and liked (Birth by Sleep and KH2) combat was kind of love it or hate it. I think it actually did have quite a bit of depth and was really fun and occasionally challenging.

The combat in KH3 is snore-inducingly easy and they totally hosed the balance with the attraction moves. They're so OP that you have to force yourself to ignore them if you want anything resembling a challenge, and even then the fights are mostly cake-walks.

So you're left with the story and....it's worse than it's ever been.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

which game invented the s-rank, and do we all agree it stands for special

What about SS and SSS then?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Relax Or DIE posted:

So thread question for this morning: for those that feel this way, why do you enjoy multiplayer less/not at all if you once did? I know this thread/forum trends older, so is it just age? Has multiplayer gaming changed in a way you don't enjoy?

I still enjoy competitive multiplayer and still play a lot of it, but I would say I feel more guilt if I spend all evening playing a competitive shooter. I guess I'm just noticing more that I'm trading in the opportunity to experience something new for the safe "good times" of a shooter that I've already played for dozens of hours.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

gently caress, the live-action Aladdin they're doing seriously reads like parody.

"What if we took Aladdin and removed the distinctive aesthetic, did it live-action with a gently caress-LOAD of CGI, and we'll make the genie like Will Smith or some poo poo!"

"Genius! Call the money trucks over!"

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

haven't they been doing live action remakes of their 90's movies for years at this point, with an established plan to keep doing so for years to come? i know there was a beauty and the beast one and they've already casted a lion king one

Yes and it's dumb. But I can at least justify some of them if it feels like the film is able to stand on its own, I think The Jungle Book movie that Jon Favreau directed is a good example of that.

Aladdin looks like rear end though.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

its depiction of depression and how people deal with it is facile to the point where i'd almost consider it dangerous to anyone taking it seriously

It's about one aspect of depression and I found it to be quite accurate in that regard.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I'm watching a compilation of finishing moves from that new Jump Force game that's coming out (already came out?).

It's making me realize just how many Shonen Jump characters have some variation of "glowy special form what in their hair get spikier".

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Infinitum posted:

I'm such a massive loving fan of the Portal series you have no idea, and I would do terrible terrible dark forbidden things for a sequel.

I have these signed limited edition lithographs (Though they are in storage at my Dad's atm, as I don't have a good spot for them, so I don't have photos)

Also have 2 Half Life 2 signed limited edition lithographs

They're among some of my favourite nerdy things. Particularly the City 17 lithograph

I too remember when Valve used to make cool things.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Vegeta has family dinners EVERY NIGHT and if you AREN'T AT FAMILY DINNER you will be ANNIHILATED!

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

A Zelda that is 2D and top-down in mobile mode and 3D behind the back in docked-mode.

I know it would never happen but I think it would be really cool to see Nintendo attempt that.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

chumbler posted:

That would be really lame. Gameplay should be as closely matched between handheld and docked as possible.

It would be though. The only thing that would change is perspective.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Andrast posted:

That would be really dumb

why

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Samuringa posted:

Why would they make the game only change when it's docked/undocked instead of straight up having the theme be that you can change perspectives, like Super Paper Mario but good.

Sure, that works too. I just like the gimmick of having it be tied to docked/undocked because it's a cool representation of Nintendo's console/portable Zelda history (although the original 2D Zelda titles weren't portable so it's more my own nostalgia talking)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Has there ever been a money-pit quite like Crackdown 3? I mean in terms of RoI, because the game is already getting hammered in reviews and I doubt there was a clamoring fan-base out there for it anyways. The closest I can think of is FFXV.

A little part of me can't believe that project wasn't canned years ago, but I guess it might be a pride thing for Microsoft.