Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Sundance more like bun pants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Why does ace combat 7 have so many negative reviews on steam, is it a bad port? Yesterday it was sitting at "mostly negative" and this morning it is sitting at "mixed"

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Samuringa posted:

our fathers taught us to never be ashamed of our sabers

Especially when they are such good size and all

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Sure but if the issue is just that the arcade flying game doesn't support flight sim controllers then that doesn't really sound like an issue of being a shoddy pc port

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
So I'm playing this mosaic puzzle game on steam and I've noticed some of these puzzles are just straight up ripped pictures from other sources.

Morte from Planescape Torment

Popeye

I wonder what others were stolen and from where

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The game genres I think I am most interested in end up being the ones I am the worst at unfortunately. So shmups, fighting games, and character action games.

Basically anything that requires some degree of good reaction time combined with being able to focus on the whole screen and not just your character and their immediate surroundings. Past a certain point everything will get too fast for me and I can't keep up, it's always been that way unfortunately.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
RTS games are fun even though I am bad at them so I tend to just cheat up my resources and play that way, though I still have fun even though I'm not playing the intended way. I've played without cheating too but that usually just turns into me fortifying the home base with a ton of turrets and units and building up to the point where I can just send everything out at once and hope it works.

Is Majesty considered an rts? I never played any of them but I watched KCB play the 2nd one and she was having a lot of fun until she hit a level that showed just how poorly designed the game was because you'd basically lose as soon as you started and the only way to win was to just get lucky and hope you don't get destroyed right at the start. I've heard the first game is better about that stuff, that it is a much better game overall.

Spellforce is a fun rts/rpg hybrid too. It's one of those RTS games where you have some units and base building stuff like that but you control a unique unit you've made who goes around completing quests and getting equipment and upgrading their stats and the bonuses of their units and stuff

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I beat Final Fantasy 4 DS without ever really understanding the augment system so when I beat the game I was happy but also confused about how I only ever found like 2 or 3 augments.

I don't think the game ever explained how you get additional augments though. I was under the impression that I'd just find them but turns out that's not how you get them, you get the majority of them by giving augments to characters that will be leaving your party later in the plot.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Something I like in this one RTS I've been playing rarely, 8-Bit Armies, is that the game has a bunch of optional objectives while playing and by completing them you'll unlock a bonus to your starting base, so something like "you now start with 2 tanks at the beginning of each map" or "you have an additional power generator" etc etc etc, it's a cool feature and gives me plenty of reason to go back and replay some of the missions.

In Red Alert 3, I really enjoyed that I could play it co-op and also that there was some degree of interaction between some of the units, as well as how players who are on the same team but using different factions can still have their units interact in some neat ways. The most disappointing thing with Red Alert 3 for me was that in one of the final missions, the enemy has tanks with tesla coils mounted to them and these are just not a vehicle you ever get to make in the game whatsoever. Worse still is that you can take over the building that makes those tanks and it has the option to make them, so they are a thing that the player can make if they have that particular building in that particular mission, but it isn't something you're ever given the ability to make and I don't like that. There was one other weapon like that but it was a massive essentially immortal mech that stomped around and killed everything and that mission was just meant to be a victory lap for the player since you're the one controlling it and while it'd be cool to have it as an option or something, it not being a regular unit you can make doesn't bug me as much as not being able to make the tesla tanks.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Is Etrian Odyssey Nexus going to wrap up the thing with the other Yggdrasil projects or was that essentially dropped? I know that it was a thing in 1, 2, and I think 4, and 3 was an entirely unrelated giant tree labyrinth, idk about 5 or nexus though since iirc there were still a few more Yggdrasil projects left.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Some people just really like gatekeeping which is how you get people being like "oh I bet ice t isn't a real gamer" or the people that try and act like people who cosplay stuff they haven't played/watched are somehow not nerdy or the people who feel like they can only listen to music when it specifically caters to nerds and gamers and poo poo even though plenty of music is nerdy as hell without catering entirely to a particular group

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

homeless snail posted:

now lets not conflate very real very powerful gamer ice t with secondaries

What are secondaries

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Also holy poo poo the main character in the fat cat mystery trilogy finally did some sleuthing that was helpful to the inspector. It only took her until the last book to do it and 2/3rds of the way into said book before she said anything to the inspector that was useful.

It wasn't even stuff she found out through looking into stuff, it was from some other people telling her and her relaying the info because said people were like "oh no no no I could never bother the police about something like any evidence I have regarding who committed a murder"

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

homeless snail posted:

you described them just now, secondaries are people that are way into derived works but don't care about the original material. classical example is the touhou fan that obsesses over fan art of particular characters but will never play the games

That's dumb as gently caress

e: dumb as gently caress that a name is needed for that at all, it's just people that are fans of a thing

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Solid Snake is in Boktai 2, and so is Shademan.exe

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Hi everybody, KCB and I went on a trip out of town today to have a fun time mallratting and we ended up going into a board game store that we'd never been in before and just

Oh my god

The loving stench

It wasn't something where I wanted to gag, it was something where I felt like my lungs needed to be scraped raw, like I needed to vomit them up wash them out with bleach, it was such an awful stench that I felt like it was going to cause me to have an asthma attack.

It was this sickeningly thick stench that legitimately made it hard to breathe because of how thick the air felt.

Imagine that you've had a pet cone forced onto you. Now imagine that inside that pet cone, someone has glued and lit up 8 of those spiral mosquito incense burner things. The foul odor permeates throughout and sticks to you in a way that you feel only well and truly stained by it. On top of that, there is a scent that I can only really describe as "burnt, smoky piss" and the bouquet you'd expect from sitting next to a very physically active person who has never heard of bathing.

This wasn't just the dreadful smell of unwashed people, this was beyond that, and my god did it really gently caress with me when I got out of there and was able to breathe fresh air again. It felt so nice and my ocd kicked into overdrive as my body kept trying to force out any of the air I'd breathed in from that godawful place, the air that felt like it was caking the inside of my lungs. My body still feels like it needs to remove it, but I know that that is just the ocd and that I need to try and be in control here because the stench obviously isn't actually matted into my lungs.

Blech

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Dungeon fighter online is a game with a fun story that is completely optional in the sense that you can easily ignore it and just do the single player content while ignoring any story stuff and just focus on beating up enemies with your class of choice. It's pretty cool.

City of Heroes was also a good mmorpg, RIP City of Heroes.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
How's everyone doing today? Things are warming up a little here which is nice, hopefully everyone made it through the cold snap alright and not too worse for the wear.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I am playing Breath of the Wild for the first time. In the very first shrine there is a chest off to the side high up. I decided I wanted to get it but I couldn't find a way to orient the big metal slabs to create a ramp up to it so instead I got some blocks and used a nearby ramp to climb up to it, then used the metal slabs to reach over to it. I spent probably the last 20 minutes doing this. I get to the chest and find out it's a physics object I can push off of the ledge it was on and to add insult to injury I could have just picked it up with the magnet rune the entire time.

WHOOPS

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I feel :unsmith: after finding out the dude who used to do Kingdom Hearts cosplay vlog skits over a decade ago noticed people tagging him because KH3 seemingly has a reference to said show. He gets a bit emotional.

Oh gently caress not that person

I'd forgotten about their sketches and skits

Christ almighty I want to forget again

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Hi everyone, how's everyone doing this week? Anything fun planned?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

C-Euro posted:

I made orange chicken from scratch for the first time tonight and it was good. Busy week coming up this week and I fell off of gaming last week so hoping to find some time to pick it back up.

Orange chicken is good. We had chicken for dinner but it was just fried chicken from giant eagle. Still good tho

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I found a dragon in breath of the wild and it was covered in eyes and I was like "oh do I have to shoot its eyes" so I did and then I was all "oh I guess it doesn't care that I'm doing th-OH GOD IT CARES, IT CARES A LOT"

Now I'm running around in the woods and a giant skeleton cyclops just appeared outta nowhere so I guess I'm fighting him now

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I don't think I wanna be fighting this cyclops guy, maybe I will run away and-oh ok a bear decided to kill me instead

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
This pic, but it's bubsy

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I want Air Fortress to make a comeback.

Mix it with the metroid series or something. Idk. I'm not sure if there are ever any other games out there that did what Air Fortress did.

Unrelated, is Nioh a console exclusive game or is it multiconsole or what?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Snooze Cruise posted:

heh, i went to a nightfire party tonight

Can't really call you and a bunch of AI players a party can you?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Barudak posted:

Who told you that? They get worse until the upgraded versions of the first few games then they get bad again then they get good in the reboot for one game then bad again.

Basically if the tomb raider you are playing isnt the first or second in its respective line its probably garbage.

TR1 is good, 2 is ok, 3 is kinda interestingly bad imo, 4 is good because it's basically just "hey the mummy was real popular so let's ape that" and it did a good job of it, dunno poo poo about chronicles other than hearing it is bad, the one on the gameboy was a decent prince of persia clone from what I've heard, I played a tiny tiny bit of angel of darkness and lmao at them deciding to make it so that you needed to have rpg progression in how you do your acrobatics in a game series that is very centered around knowing exactly what you can and can't do in order to navigate platforming puzzles, and also lol at them just killing off von croy for basically no reason other than "hey he's a character that exists" when he's arguably one of the more interesting TR characters from the series (although that may be because of him showing up in more than 1 game and seeming to have some form of character development), then the Legend -> Anniversary -> Underworld series was good, the co-op game was good (guardian of light, idk how the other one was though since I never hear anyone talk about it), there's some arcade game I saw once and the most I could say was "huh, I didn't know tomb raider had an arcade game" and it is probably just a rail shooter or something, and lara croft go is a neat puzzle game that distills some of the tomb raider experience down into a puzzle game format.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Crossovers can be good
Crossovers can be bad
Crossing Over is always bad

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I remember RWBY was being animated in a program that usually isn't used for animation, what was it, Blender? Or something else?

I just know that the creator is dead and also that he made that haloid thing and I've heard that he animates fight scenes pretty well which is why the fight scenes in RWBY are supposedly really really good and then the rest is like

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

reminds me of this

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Snooze Cruise posted:

this was hurtful

I'm sorry. I was afraid it'd be too harsh sounding and not jokey enough :( I shouldn't have said it, I know I was personally so surprised at there being AI opponents that I ended up playing a bunch of the nightfire multiplayer solely to mess around with the AI, though I never got to play that one map with any other people that you can't play with AIs because I guess the AIs would fall off of the map or whatever.

I'm sorry and I shouldn't have said what I said without making it clearer that I was just trying to do some lighthearted teasing.

You don't have to forgive me, I just wanted to say that I'm sorry for hurting your feelings. If it is any consolation in the slightest, the only reason I said that was because I know I'd play a lot of the nightfire multiplayer by myself because I didn't have any friends to play it with so that was my experience growing up.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

VideoGames posted:

Hello friends!

I have been moved into my new place for the last twoish weeks, got internet hooked up yesterday and am back and ready to game/chat about games/moderate Games about games. :D

I can now game every day of the week if I wish and I got super nice fibre internet. I am feeling exceptionally powerful right now. :twisted:

Welcome back! Hopefully the move itself wasn't too stressful.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

C-Euro posted:

Which one? Just jump right in with EO5?

The series goes on sale fairly often, I suggest starting with Etrian Odyssey Untold since that's a remake of the first game but with an added story mode that contains some extra stuff you wouldn't get playing through the game normally as well as giving you a specific party that is tailored to the game itself so that you can more easily get accustomed to the game's mechanics for if/when you decide to play classic mode where you're in charge of making your own characters.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
What's everybody up to today?

My day was bad so I'm hoping everyone is having a good day or at least an okay day to balance things out

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Relax Or DIE posted:

I worked from home because of snow, and today is my Friday so I'm gonna start gaming soon. Sorry to hear it though, FAK.

I hope you enjoyed the working from home! And thanks, it's been a sorta draining day. Just some stuff going on with my psych doctor being a jackass about poo poo and it's just really annoying and causing me lots of trouble because they're just being overly difficult because they think that I'm too much for them to handle and that I should be discharged from their services.

Barudak posted:

Yes and oh goodness no. Its hard to say more without spoilers but in summary the actual story of the game happens in the non-story challenge mode

I'm never gonna play it, can you spoil it for me?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Sometimes life is good

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

Sometimes no fear, big dogs or coed naked.

Gotta have all the 90's tshirt brands

When was fubu made

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

a metroidvania with no upgrades

Toki Tori 2 is really good at being this

Sakurazuka posted:

I'd like it to have dungeons, fun bosses and an expanding inventory of gadgets and items

Only played through 2 of them so far but I have liked the bosses and dungeons and the way exploration opens up through more exploration and the armor you obtain and the ways you can solve puzzles with your little toolkit

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

toki tori 2 probably doesn't have pixel-perfect blind jumps with three lives though

Nope. It just gives you a couple basic commands and then has it so that you naturally learn how creatures behave in response to your actions so that on second playthroughs you can just bust the game right open with the knowledge you acquired. It's like super metroid with the walljumps and shinesparks and crystal flashes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Me, playing breath of the wild: oh man, I can get a skeleton horse!!
Me, 3 minutes later: what do you mean I'm not allowed to register him as my permanent horse companion?! :mad: