Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Jay Rust posted:

Who was January’s horny gamer of the month?

Anyone that got banned during GDQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I took a lifespan studies course last semester in college that taught me all about the horrors of aging and filled me with all sorts of terrible thoughts.

But you know what the cool thing about gaming is? Aging honestly barely matters. The slight decline that occurs in reflexes after yours 20s really isn't a huge deal. People make it out to be a way bigger issue than it is. What going from your 20s to your 30s does is a steep decline in your bodies ability to recuperate from injuries quickly. Physical abuse becomes a much more serious problem. But uh, gamers don't really go through much in the way of physical stress.

Ya'll don't need to worry about being bad at games because you're old; you're just bad at games because you suck (and have less time to play them probably). Now, when you start passing 60 and the horror of Alzehimer's surface, then you can lament your dwindling gaming prowess. Of course everything in your life is going to be turning worse while you slowly creep towards the inescapable clutch of death, feeling your body and brain deteriorate beyond your control!

:regd09:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Oh you definitely can gently caress up your body playing games too much, but the point is just playing casually like 99% of us do isn't gonna be an issue. Whereas one casual match of contact football can result in serious injury, though that's true regardless of age.

What I'm saying is as far as hobbies go, gaming is a pretty good one to have and be able to do for most of your life.

exquisite tea posted:

I'm way fitter now in my 30s than in my 20s and it's loving awesome.

You can be fit and active for almost your entire life! The 20s are just when the body is at its peak performance for physical activities, and as you grow into the later 30s you really need to be more careful about injury since your ability to recuperate drops off. There are even elderly people who are still really active in certain ways, though that has a lot to do with genetic lottery in addition to how you take care of yourself.

I don't like thinking about this stuff but taking that class kind of forced me to. Sometimes I woder how I'll face aging since even in my 20s I'm not nearly as fit as I should be. But then I remember stuff like this;

Oxxidation posted:

look at the news re: climate change, very few of us thirtysomethings will make it to 60 and the ones who do will envy the dead

And the crushing weight of the dreadful future snowballs into an overwhelming force of despair that makes me wanna crawl into bed and cry a bit.

....how bout them video games?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I just saw an ad on Twitch calling Ninja a "video game master" and I feel a little sick.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Taintrunner posted:

I'm in the small and uncool camp of people who think Anthem has looked terrible from the get-go and hopes it bombs hard so Bioware is finally taken out back behind the barn and put out of their misery, as sad as it will be to see people lose their jobs, they haven't make a good game since ME2 (which is up for debate in some regards, admittedly, but I really liked it) and it's just loving embarrassing at this point

Anthem will most likely be mediocre. It won't bomb, but it won't be the big Destiny/Warframe Killer EA so obviously wants it to be.

Honestly though, after Andromeda I think its safe to say that the studio closing would be good. Anyone with talent and skill there clearly isn't in charge and is just being stifled under EA.

Jay Rust posted:

I hope capitalism dies in my lifetime

I mean it may but it will only be because all of us go with it

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So I just decided I'm never gonna play what used to be my favorite game again

I'm genuinely upset over videogames lmao my life is a wreck

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Dungeon Crawl, a game most people have never heard of nor will ever care about

It was a community developed game but the devs currently running it keep doing poo poo I hate and actively spite me when I try to talk to them so I don't even wanna touch it anymore. It feels weird and sad to play a game when you know the people making it would rather you didn't play it, or played it while saying nothing to them.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Kingdom Hearts 3 looks like an entirely spectacle driven game where even on the hardest difficulty every single fight is a cakewalk.

Some people like that but I need to be engaged with a game when I play it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

cheetah7071 posted:

Did gooncrawl also take a nosedive or something

victrix posted:

Gooncrawl?

Gooncrawl is fine but I'm attached to my online stats since it gave me goals to work towards. But its finally reached the point where I can't take it anymore, so I'll probably try Gooncrawl out at some point.

Gooncrawl is really cool though and Floodkiller is real nice trying to salvage the game for SA.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Majula is probably the best hub area I've ever seen in a game

The mood of it is perfect for the story of Dark Souls 2. But also its just nice and cozy with great music.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Me, angry and upset: "I'm never playing Crawl again"
Not even 5 hours later: "But playing in the tournament is fun..."

I feel like a loving drug addict. I need to stop thinking about this stupid game.

EDIT: I'll play the old version! That's acceptable! I'm not desperate :negative:

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Feb 11, 2019

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

precision posted:

I'm vaguely tempted to get kingdom Hearts 3, is there a cure for whatever brain disease I clearly have

Yeah watch a summary of the plot.

If after that you still want to play it then I'm sorry, its terminal.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

precision posted:

Get this: watching funny youtube summaries of the plot is why I'm tempted to get it :v:

Its not really funny having to experience it all though. Its absurd in summary format but playing through it is dreadfully boring unless you like that kind of stuff. Those summaries condense stuff and cut out tons of meaningless stuff in an attempt to form some cohesion out of its mess of a story.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm glad Apex Legends is doing better than Fortnite, if only because it means there will be less Fortnite oozing into my life.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
ITS FINALLY HERE

MARIO MAKER 2

I'M ECSTATIC

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
They turned Fire Emblem into a loving HIGH SCHOOL ANIME

gently caress

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

axelblaze posted:

I haven't played an FE but hasn't it been that since at least the DS games?

exploded mummy posted:

It was always high school anime

I mean it was always an anime series but now its LITERALLY HIGH SCHOOL

Just kill me

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I like how in Astral Blade the boy has full clothing but the girl has random tactical shorts.

Good design!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Endorph posted:

because the idea of a military academy is somehow more juvenile and impossible to them than a magical dimension where you send babies to so they can age ten times as fast and never see their parents

They can both be terrible!

If this had come out before Fates I'd be more optimistic but based on the designs on the trailer and the pitch its probably gonna be a ton of highschool/college anime bullshit, which I cannot stand. I'm sure the gameplay will still be good but holy poo poo the last thing I want from these games is a bunch of kids and their social life in murder school.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

homeless snail posted:

where did all this anime in my fire emblem come from

There is good anime

There is bad anime

Which do you think Fates was

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Harrow posted:

The story and characters in Fates were unbelievably bad but the map/battle design in Conquest was so good I didn't even care

Yeah that's probably while I buy this anyways, and admittedly the whole "Three Houses" mechanic can probably add some good replay value. I'm betting its gonna be mostly the same game no matter what you pick in terms of plot and missions but the units you have at your disposal will be different, which is interesting.

But I have zero confidence in the writing.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Endorph posted:

Iunno, everything we've seen of the plot/dialogue seems fairly grounded? Admittedly we haven't seen a lot yet but compared to Fates's intro trailer which had that freaking camilla shot everything's been pretty lowkey.

And like I said, I really doubt you'll be in school the entire game.

I dunno, I can't really be optimistic with anything about that game's writing.

I mean on paper, Fates doesn't sound like its story concept is terrible either but we all know how they managed to botch that.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
What's with Yoshi and Kirby both murdering cute, innocent shy guys/waddle dees just trying to live their lives?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Daemon X Machina has some of the worst music I've ever heard in a videogame, good lord

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Tetris BR has double the viewers of PUBG on Twitch

This amuses me greatly

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Is it bad to admit that I like watching Apex Legends a bit just because I think the overly positive and cheerful robot is a really fun character?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Doing some art so I decided to put a stream on in the background with someone playing Antrhem. Zero interest in the game but I just needed some background noise.

First thing I hear the streamer say is "I have no idea who thought this was a good direction for a game" :regd09:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Ciaphas posted:

Feels an odd reversal of fortune, with Apex Legends suddenly eating everyone's lunch at the same time

You knot the takeaway from this is gonna be that more BR is the direction to go in.

Goodbye Bioware! :wave:

Cowcaster posted:

speaking of, i know it’s only been out what, a week? but are there any preliminary numbers on how much it’s eating into the fortnite juggernaut?

Its consistently getting way more viewers than Fortnite on Twitch, which might not seem like a big deal to some of you but that's a pretty massive one in terms of marketing and momentum.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Jay Rust posted:

I think EA hates BioWare and wants them to die a bloody death

I mean after Andromeda I think most people wanted that.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Phantasium posted:

assthem sounds like what a race of rear end people yell at the intrepid explorers that discovered their rear end people realm before the rear end people chase them

Bioware let us make contact with the rear end people long ago

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Grapplejack posted:

The biggest issue is that the missions in the demo were loving boring. Does the main game have anything new or more exciting, or is it like Destiny where it's a barely disguised loot treadmill and you just put up with it for colors?

It is literally just EA telling Bioware to make a Destiny clone because Destiny was raking in big bucks when dev work on this started.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Hot take on Anthem: the writing is insanely bad!

Also the game flat out needed more time to make it actually loving work. I've lost count of the number of things I've seen break watching a stream of it. Player can't even get into team missions cause it keeps loading him into the wrong area.

I'm genuinely curious why EA pushed this out right next to Apex.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Feb 16, 2019

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Shame about Catherine, cause there's a real neat puzzle game buried under... whatever the hell that game's plot is trying to be.

Jay Rust posted:

I stopped by my brother’s house earlier today, partly to copy his huge New Vegas mod folder, turns out it includes a nudity mod. How should I feel about this

At least there doesn’t seem to be a sex mod?

This reminds me of the time I had to use my brother's compute for schoolwork and his address bar autocompleted to "hentaifoundry" or something.

I just told him to exercise liberal use of the incognito function.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Why the gently caress are the facial animations in Anthem so bad

Everyone smirks even when they're talking about gravely serious stuff

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
"I pretended to be useless dead weight for 2 years to get you fired up to try harder!"

This is an actual plot point in Anthem

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Dehry posted:

I think escaping back to high school is the whole point.

I guess that's why I've never been able to get into games like Persona. I loving hated High School and never wanna even think about going to it again.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Oh my god the ending to Anthem is the most anticlimactic thing ever

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Harrow posted:

I'd guess that's because it's a story left deliberately incomplete because there's more coming in March.

That has nothing to do with it. You complete the main conflict of the game. Its just resolved in an insanely unsatisfying manner.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Apex Legends has double the views that Fortnite does

I was really baffled by how it managed to succeed where all other imitators have failed, but a stream I watched the other day actually explained it pretty well; Apex Legends is the only game that was actually designed to be a BR. PUBG is a complete mess for a ton of reasons, and Fortnite just copied PUBG to salvage its pathetic main game. Then Fortnite became popular, and everyone just copied Fortnite. Nobody was actually building a BR from the groundup thinking about how to make it really work. Everyone was just copying Fortnite, which was copying PUBG, which was a piece of trash. It was like a feedback loop of failure that Apex managed to break out of by doing its own thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Jay Rust posted:

Tf2's story is dumb

I think TF2's story is about as much as you can expect from a comical FPS. I genuinely enjoyed all the different lines each class had for murdering each other. The overarching metanarrative they created to tie everything together is an idiotic mess but I think that was the point. Its a pointless nest of self-defeating actions orchestrated by a shadowy corporation to justify building more guns to use against itself.