Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Noxville posted:

Tbf the ‘roles’ will pretty much just mean they’re the person who speaks to the press about whatever topic, it’s not like they’re actually going to be drawing up policies or anything.

Nobody does meaningless bollocks like Chuka though, which is why he gets the top job.

https://twitter.com/georgeeaton/status/1101113638969110529

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyDZUe_12ZM

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I've had this human body all this time and only now I learn that you can grab someone else and morph into a glowing ball???

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGr9jCMQpvI

just a catchy cartoon song for the kids

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

jabby posted:

Until we discover immortality though the desired goal is the same - a universe without intelligent life. Mother Ann Lee is just Judge Death with more patience.

It's also not really a very achievable goal, because even if we all euthanized ourselves for the good of the cosmos the universe would probably just evolve some new intelligence-having pricks. Our existence is just the result of time plus hydrogen after all.

i like this line

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
very positive message at the end lol

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

jabby posted:

Nobody does meaningless bollocks like Chuka though, which is why he gets the top job.

quote:

Third Position is an ideology that was developed in the late 20th century by political parties including Terza Posizione in Italy and Troisième Voie in France. It emphasizes opposition to both communism and capitalism. Advocates of Third Position politics typically present themselves as "beyond left and right" while syncretizing ideas from each end of the political spectrum, usually reactionary right-wing cultural views and radical left-wing economic views.
Lot of words to say 'Nazi'.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

serious gaylord posted:

Todays UN announcement is not going to help things settle down at all is it?

'announcement' is going a bit far. I've seen more confidence in a statement by first year students about their exam results.

jabby posted:

THAT'S THE loving POINT OF IT YOU WASTE OF SKIN.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

jabby posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk1dd1D2Kts

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Someone may have posted this, but VideoGames, have you got to this bit in your Sooty & Sweep re-watch yet?

https://twitter.com/archivetvmus71/status/1090310637102747648

Also, this should be in the OP

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Azza Bamboo posted:

I've had this human body all this time and only now I learn that you can grab someone else and morph into a glowing ball???

well duh

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Azza Bamboo posted:

Just thought I'd point out that he's stopping off at that particular place on his way out.

Nando's?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Someone may have posted this, but VideoGames, have you got to this bit in your Sooty & Sweep re-watch yet?

https://twitter.com/archivetvmus71/status/1090310637102747648

Also, this should be in the OP

I have not seen that before but it is one of the best things I have ever seen in my life and I love it :D

Sweep is by far my favourite and good grief all that buzzing from everyone!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Sweep's family is the original duck army

I'm scouse sweep

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Kurtofan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGr9jCMQpvI

just a catchy cartoon song for the kids

Extremely same

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwqQclvmC68

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

jabby posted:

I hate these people with all my heart and wish them all the worst.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Kurtofan posted:

Momentum just put out this pretty good video on debunking common antisemitic conspiracy theories

https://twitter.com/PeoplesMomentum/status/1101143739588923392
Failed to correct the pronunciation to the proper rot-schild. Labour antisemitism knows no end.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Miftan posted:

'announcement' is going a bit far. I've seen more confidence in a statement by first year students about their exam results.

I suppose it was a bit 'errr, maybe, if you'd like, we could err, maybe call this a war....crime????'

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

serious gaylord posted:

Todays UN announcement is not going to help things settle down at all is it?

For anyone unaware

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsBreak/status/1101047399299104768

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
The UN is clearly antisemitic and its leadership must immediately resign :v:

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Azza Bamboo posted:

The UN is clearly antisemitic and its leadership must immediately resign :v:

The fact that you think this is a joke shows me you've never been to Israel or discussed Israel in the US. One of the parties that are running in Israel right now has 'leave the UN they are antisemites' as one of their policies.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Guavanaut posted:

Lot of words to say 'Nazi'.

Reading old Blair and New Labour stuff is fascinating when you know how authoritarian and anti-life their own 'third way' ended up being.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Not to worry, I'm sure the investigators will be spoken to so that they can gain a full and appropriate respect for the only democracy in the Middle East (aside from Lebanon which despite it's troubles was still a republic the last time I looked, though certain hawkish pro-Israel folk from western Europe & America often seem to forget that for some reason)

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

Not to worry, I'm sure the investigators will be spoken to so that they can gain a full and appropriate respect for the only democracy in the Middle East (aside from Lebanon which despite it's troubles was still a republic the last time I looked, though certain hawkish pro-Israel folk from western Europe & America often seem to forget that for some reason)

Hezbollah does complicate things a little. Tunisia may be a better example, unless it went to poo poo while I wasn't looking.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7GeKLE0x3s

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

forkboy84 posted:

the only democracy in the Middle East (aside from Lebanon
:colbert:

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Vitamin P posted:

Reading old Blair and New Labour stuff is fascinating when you know how authoritarian and anti-life their own 'third way' ended up being.

...was from the start, I think you mean.

That was the point of 'tough on crime', for example.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

Welsh goon comrades, is anything happening in an organised way? My Labour branch seems a bit moribund and I’m thinking of cancelling my dues to Welsh Labour Grassroots, they don’t do anything and the website doesn’t even load any more.

Is there an activist community to plug into? I moved lately from Owen Smith’s constituency and didn’t feel like doing much there, although I did let him put a sign at our gate when he asked.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

https://twitter.com/mikeysmith/status/1101194535001042945?s=20

Blessed or cursed tweet?

You decide.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Darth Walrus posted:

Hezbollah does complicate things a little. Tunisia may be a better example, unless it went to poo poo while I wasn't looking.

It doesn't stop being a democracy just because some folk voted for some bad dudes. It's a legal political party in Lebanon which has a significant amount of support from the country's Shia population, and for that matter only it's military wing is a proscribed group by the EU & even the UK (although that's in the process of changing here). It's part of the democratic process of Lebanon and while I certainly don't support them (oddly enough, religious extremists tend not to mash very well with my left-wing internationalism) it is what it is. You don't just get to ignore a democracy because some of the people support regressive shits, otherwise America isn't a democracy/republic/don't be a loving pedant.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Oh dear me posted:

...was from the start, I think you mean.

That was the point of 'tough on crime', for example.

pretty sure 'tough on crime' had good polling in key demographics as a selling point, not any overbearing view of crime and punishment

in general, New Labour's ideology was basically democracy through indirect state control, led by public opinion. as i understand it, blair's big revolution wasn't so much his turn rightwards (kinnock tried this and failed, again and again), but promising to listen in a way nobody had listened before. it wasn't compromising to a reactionary electorate, it was saying that the customer's always right and that voters are basically customers of the government

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

It doesn't stop being a democracy just because some folk voted for some bad dudes. It's a legal political party in Lebanon which has a significant amount of support from the country's Shia population, and for that matter only it's military wing is a proscribed group by the EU & even the UK (although that's in the process of changing here). It's part of the democratic process of Lebanon and while I certainly don't support them (oddly enough, religious extremists tend not to mash very well with my left-wing internationalism) it is what it is. You don't just get to ignore a democracy because some of the people support regressive shits, otherwise America isn't a democracy/republic/don't be a loving pedant.

If religious extreme-ism in a political party gets you excluded from being a democracy then Israel is also out and Rojava reigns supreme. Bibi is letting someone who is/was a part of a PROSCRIBED JEWISH TERROR ORGANISATION IN ISRAEL AND THE US into a ministerial post if he wins the next elections soooo

e iirc the ministerial job is education as well lol

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

this is one thing that a lot of his would-be heirs don't seem to understand, and something that i'm not convinced he understood himself - blair offered a very positive, almost revolutionary way of doing politics and it allowed him to completely rout the moribound tories

then he invaded iraq because god told him to, of course, and once it becomes clear that people don't actually want the things they claim to want (perversely high levels of control on benefits &c), the lustre disappears rather quickly - but i think that there's a good reason that blair's biggest black mark is the one thing he did against the popular will

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

The complicating factor is not their politics, but the fact that they've got a bigger military than their host country does. That kind of puts a strain on the sovereignty necessary for national democracy.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

to put it this way: blair was what happens when someone takes the whole "they should just all get together and sort it out in a sensible" spiel seriously, and he crucially had an actually sort-of-coherent ideological underpinning to the whole project

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Filboid Studge posted:

Welsh goon comrades, is anything happening in an organised way? My Labour branch seems a bit moribund and I’m thinking of cancelling my dues to Welsh Labour Grassroots, they don’t do anything and the website doesn’t even load any more.

Is there an activist community to plug into? I moved lately from Owen Smith’s constituency and didn’t feel like doing much there, although I did let him put a sign at our gate when he asked.
Yeah WLG do gently caress all apart from the odd event (but your dues still go to Momentum so I stick around), if your CLP isn't doing much & you cba to be the change there's not much doing. However:- if militant industrial unionism is your bag, Wales is one of the biggest IWW branches in the world, if you're anywhere near Cardiff there's usually a bunch going on (& you can join when you're a member of another Union, most of us are). Hmu if you want to know anything

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.
So I’m confused now, is it ChUkip or ShUkip?

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

V. Illych L. posted:

pretty sure 'tough on crime' had good polling in key demographics as a selling point, not any overbearing view of crime and punishment

in general, New Labour's ideology was basically democracy through indirect state control, led by public opinion. as i understand it, blair's big revolution wasn't so much his turn rightwards (kinnock tried this and failed, again and again), but promising to listen in a way nobody had listened before. it wasn't compromising to a reactionary electorate, it was saying that the customer's always right and that voters are basically customers of the government

There were a number of authoritarian swings under various Home Secs that weren’t the result of public demand, though. They came from Blunkett’s id.

I’d forgotten until lately that Stephen Pollard, author of a lot of Labour’s antisemitism woes, wrote a fawning biography of Blunkett.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

Also if Israel's the only democracy in the Middle East, why did we spend all those trillions bringing democracy to the Middle East in the 90s and 00s? Sounds bad value for money imo

V. Illych L. posted:

Starting with ridiculous testing of benefits and ending with sacking scientists because they disagreed with publictabloid opinion.

Also one thing that makes me go as High Tory as Rees-Mogg on Whitsunday is seeing corporate titles in what should be public institutions.
Your school doesn't have a President, it has a Rector. It doesn't have a CFO, it has a Bursar. It certainly doesn't have a loving Customer Care Manager. Blair is behind this, I know it.

Miftan posted:

PROSCRIBED JEWISH TERROR ORGANISATION
This is terrible for Jeremy Corbyn.