Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

The trailer for the awaited Fast and Furious spinoff Hobbs and Shaw dropped yesterday. It will be released on August 2nd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2odxtTjIA0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYM7Y_mrq9M - Trailer that features nos

Plot: Enemies turned reluctant partners Luke Hobbs and Deckard Shaw are recruited to stop a terrorist known as Brixton who basically has superpowers through genetic engineering or something.

Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson as Luke Hobbs. Continues to do cool Rock poo poo and exchange dirty looks with Statham while throttling bad dudes.

Jason Statham as Deckard Shaw. So we're all going to just to forget he killed Han?

Idris Elba as Brixton. Announces his arrival in one scene as "bad guy" which is pretty cool I guess

Vanessa Kirby as Hattie Shaw. Deckard's sister and an MI6 agent.

Helen 'loving' Mirren as Magdelne Shaw. The real star of The Fate of the Furious.

Leati Joseph Anoaʻi (better known as Roman Reigns) as Luke's brother Duke Hobbs. Duke and Luke :haw:

Eiza Gonzalez as Madam M. Call her a parking ticket cause she got fine written all over her :swoon:

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jul 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

The SituAsian posted:

Plot: Enemies turned reluctant partners Luke Hobbs and Deckard Shaw are recruited to stop a terrorist known as Brixton who basically has superpowers through genetic engineering or something.

This is a logical escalation from a string of DVD machine thefts.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I've never seen a F&F movie. Before I saw the trailer for this, I thought the talk in the other thread about them fighting a literal superhuman was an embellishment, but nope, Idris Elba literally has superpowers. I think I'm gonna break down and watch them before this comes out.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Am I the only one that feels like they both are giving each other gently caress me eyes through out this trailer?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
The Fast and the Furious presents: that movie from the start of The Other Guys

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Detective No. 27 posted:

I've never seen a F&F movie

Keep it that way.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Hank Morgan posted:

This is a logical escalation from a string of DVD machine thefts.

By the time this film series is ended they'll have to drift on the moon to put it back in orbit.

Seriously, how does a film series start with "Infiltrate a street racing group that's stealing poo poo off trucks" and get to "USE THE POWER OF CARS TO DEFEAT LITERAL SUPERHUMAN IDRIS ELBA!"

I mean, they've already stopped literal nuclear war with muscle cars so I guess this is the only direction to go.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Crain posted:

Seriously, how does a film series start with "Infiltrate a street racing group that's stealing poo poo off trucks" and get to "USE THE POWER OF CARS TO DEFEAT LITERAL SUPERHUMAN IDRIS ELBA!"

Fans of these dumb movies bring this up constantly. Escalating the stakes is a common thing in a long running series. See Die Hard. The Office even made a joke about it.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Yaws posted:

Fans of these dumb movies bring this up constantly. Escalating the stakes is a common thing in a long running series. See Die Hard. The Office even made a joke about it.

That's true. And I do love these dumb movies for the popcorn fodder they are. But like...they could have upped stakes in more sensible ways. Movies 1-5 were all solid car movies. Even 6 still had the action initially centered around cars with the whole "flipping car" shtick.

The next step did not really need to involve stopping a super cyberterrorist from starting nuclear war...with cars.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Crain posted:

That's true. And I do love these dumb movies for the popcorn fodder they are. But like...they could have upped stakes in more sensible ways. Movies 1-5 were all solid car movies. Even 6 still had the action initially centered around cars with the whole "flipping car" shtick.

The next step did not really need to involve stopping a super cyberterrorist from starting nuclear war...with cars.

I just don't get why this is seen as laudatory. These movies are increasingly low brow and idiotic. Is that the appeal? The calculated cartoonishness? The filmmakers seemingly have nothing but contempt for the audience.

And Vin Diesel has got to be one of the worst actors working and on top on that his character in these movies is such a one note cliche. I can't stand it.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Yaws posted:

I just don't get why this is seen as laudatory. These movies are increasingly low brow and idiotic. Is that the appeal? The calculated cartoonishness? The filmmakers seemingly have nothing but contempt for the audience.

And Vin Diesel has got to be one of the worst actors working and on top on that his character in these movies is such a one note cliche. I can't stand it.

I mean, spectacle works. Sometimes people really do just want to see things go fast, blow up, and look pretty.

Take Avatar (the James Cameron one) for example. It’s the highest grossing film of all time, but I bet you not a single person you ask could tell you what goes on in the thing. Beyond “uhh blue people and unobtainium?” at least.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Its not enough to simply bring in the dude bros anymore they need to also grab as many of the marvel comic idiots as they can which is why they've added literal super heros/villains

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Yaws posted:

Stakes escalation is never this drastic though. In a normal franchise you'd need something like the number of James Bond films for normal escalation to cover just the escalation of the first 5 movies.

This is a series that escalated not just the stakes but genre. Die Hard ain't got poo poo on this, the only thing close is the escalation of the 21 Jump Street movies in the credits of 22 Jump Street.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Yaws posted:

Thanks for dropping by this thread about the F&F series to tell us how you don't enjoy the F&F series

It's laudatory because some of us simpletons are entertained by watching crazy action and cool stunts, hth

Also the filmmakers give the audience exactly what they want so how that is contempt is beyond me

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
But the F&F series have been super hero movies for at least the last three? I guess if your only point of reference is a 18 year old remake of Point Break, I can see the big bad being cybernetic feeling out of place.

I'm pretty excited for this one. I thought Fate of the Furious was absolute garbage with the only redeeming scenes involving the Shaw family and I've always been a fan of Hobbs. Although the scene in the trailer where they are told they have to work together was a little silly after they already had the exact same scene in Fate.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Cyks posted:

But the F&F series have been super hero movies for at least the last three? I guess if your only point of reference is a 18 year old remake of Point Break, I can see the big bad being cybernetic feeling out of place.

I'm pretty excited for this one. I thought Fate of the Furious was absolute garbage with the only redeeming scenes involving the Shaw family and I've always been a fan of Hobbs. Although the scene in the trailer where they are told they have to work together was a little silly after they already had the exact same scene in Fate.

Eh, They've been heist/pseudo-spy movies since 4. This is the first with a literal superhuman (And not just a "power of muscles" superman like The Rock's character).

I don't really mind the escalation, it's funny to take a second to track the trajectory. I just kinda wish they'd lean into the cars as super powers thing more. See "Drift the moon". Like...loving drag race a photon around the LHC because when it reaches the other side it'll set off a bomb. Remake Armageddon but for some reason they have to super fast space cars to get around, then once they blow it up drift and jump from one rock debris to the next to get back to earth.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Let's bring this F A M I L Y back together(and this thread), new trailer --

https://www.polygon.com/2019/4/18/18412697/hobbs-and-shaw-trailer-idris-elba

I don't know how they went from stealing 2in1 TVs/DVD players to this but I've loved every moment of it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Were at genetically modified super soldiers and the heros taking marvel comic names and villains taking dc comic names and yet none of it has felt inorganic.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
The series is boring without Paul.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

Barudak posted:

Were at genetically modified super soldiers and the heros taking marvel comic names and villains taking dc comic names and yet none of it has felt inorganic.

Black Superman

Also glad that Vanessa Kirby got some moments in this trailer after she really didn't do anything other than being in distress in the teaser.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Yaws posted:

I think you're missing the point a little, honestly. I wouldn't class the F&F movies as "contemptuous of the audience" or "low-brow," so much as I'd put them in the same category as things like The Raid, Dredd, and Fury Road: action movies that are primarily focused on spectacle, with everything else taking a back seat and serving solely to enhance that spectacle.

The real problem is that it requires the set pieces to actually be impressive to work. Furious 7, for example, nails this- the whole Dubai sequence is basically "holy poo poo" moment after "holy poo poo" moment, and while it's probably the best action sequence in the movie, the rest of them manage to hold up to it just fine. To see an example of it not working, you just need to look at the very next movie: all the set pieces in F8 are just straight up boring and uninspired, and so, the movie's nigh-on unwatchable.

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan
For me it's the inverse of the Star Trek movie rule: the odd numbered ones are solid to great, while the even ones are ehh.

1-decent Point Break remake
2-boring sudden cash-in
3-surprisingly fun, Han
4-waaaay too self-serious and drags
5-begins to go totally crazy and fun
6-barely remember it
7-pure nuts
8-snoooooze

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
2 Fast 2 Furious is many things, but it is not boring.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Whoolighams posted:

6-barely remember it

You can do worse things than rewatching this one. It's where the series really turned the corner into "superheroes with cars." Both the tank sequence and the plane sequence are tremendous.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

The plane scene is even better when you rewatch it edited together in real time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9jY_sXGkdM&t=12s

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?
Do the fast movies hold up? I haven't seen any of them, and I'm expecting it escalates to at least a Kong: Skull Island level of Dumb but Fun. Where in the series does it get hogwild? How wild are these hogs?

Where's the Fast&Furious / Torque crossover??

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP

Ibexaz posted:

Do the fast movies hold up? I haven't seen any of them, and I'm expecting it escalates to at least a Kong: Skull Island level of Dumb but Fun. Where in the series does it get hogwild? How wild are these hogs?

Where's the Fast&Furious / Torque crossover??

Fast Five is when it really leans into crazy. The original and Fast & Furious are not bad but you'd be fine starting with Fast Five if you really just want to see the hogwild stuff. 2 Fast 2 Furious and Tokyo Drift are both skippable.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
They get wild with 5, start with 5-8 and have fun. They have their ups and downs but they all deliver on exceptional hollywood blockbuster set pieces and great casts, and on those measures they absolutely hold up. Even if they've never really quite topped the bank vault finale in 5.

Go back to 1-4 if you want to see how it started. 4 is the inflection point where it switched to bombastic heist action and the style the series has stuck with, but it doesn't take it to insane superhuman levels like 5 does. It does have the greatest example of vehicular homicide in the entire series, however.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t867tCFccE

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Apr 19, 2019

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

all the set pieces in F8 are just straight up boring and uninspired, and so, the movie's nigh-on unwatchable.

Hobbs and Shaw's prison breakout, and Shaw's baby rescue on the plane are very fun sequences, the zombie cars in NY is nuts, Mad Max on Ice is decent spectacle, and the race in Cuba is fun and inventive. You crazy

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The tank scene is awesome because they really drove a tank on a highway and hosed it up.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Wandle Cax posted:

Hobbs and Shaw's prison breakout, and Shaw's baby rescue on the plane are very fun sequences, the zombie cars in NY is nuts, Mad Max on Ice is decent spectacle, and the race in Cuba is fun and inventive. You crazy

man all those SHOULD be but they just fell completely flat for me, for whatever reason

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

The baby fight is crazy good. If that scene had happened in any other action movie we would all just refer to it as "That Baby Fight Movie", but because it's in a Fast and Furious movie, it's just another part of the movie.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

People usually refer to Hard Boiled by its title.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

that trailer is way too much

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Stairmaster posted:

that trailer is way too much

It is and I love it.

The do a loving Haka at literal super human Idris Elba (I will only refer to the character as this).

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Crain posted:

It is and I love it.

The do a loving Haka at literal super human Idris Elba (I will only refer to the character as this).

Wait, there's a normal version of him?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Azubah posted:

Wait, there's a normal version of him?

Wire version was pre-enhancments or else he would have won everything since it was real world parameters.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

put micheal k. williams in fast 9

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

2 Fast 2 Furious is many things, but it is not boring.

There is exactly one scene in 2f2f that is not boring, and it is when the trucks smash the cop cars.

I watched 2f2f when it came out, when I was at the peak of my innocent blue-eyed car interest high after the first fnf, and I felt like someone was trolling me. I watch the other movies whenever they are on TV, but I have never rewatched that after the first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

It's bullshit that we're sweeping under the rug the fact that the Transporter killed Han. :colbert: