Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

weekly font posted:

It's bullshit that we're sweeping under the rug the fact that the Transporter killed Han. :colbert:

Dont worry, Han will have better luck tomorrow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

weekly font posted:

It's bullshit that we're sweeping under the rug the fact that the Transporter killed Han. :colbert:

At this point I think there's a 50/50 chance that Han returns as a half-man-half-car cyborg in FF9.

It would be 100% on brand for the series.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Crain posted:

By the time this film series is ended they'll have to drift on the moon to put it back in orbit.

Seriously, how does a film series start with "Infiltrate a street racing group that's stealing poo poo off trucks" and get to "USE THE POWER OF CARS TO DEFEAT LITERAL SUPERHUMAN IDRIS ELBA!"

I mean, they've already stopped literal nuclear war with muscle cars so I guess this is the only direction to go.

You're thinking too small. Add a certain DeLorean to the crew's garage and start thinking dinosaurs and cowboys.

THE PAST AND THE FURIOUS

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Easy Diff posted:

You're thinking too small. Add a certain DeLorean to the crew's garage and start thinking dinosaurs and cowboys.

THE PAST AND THE FURIOUS

"I live my life a quarter century at a time".

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Am I the only one who's sick of this dumb rear end franchise? I liked it better when it was street-level knuckleheads screwing around in their neighborhoods. The transformation into "Letty and Han are gonna drive on the mother-freaking moon for the epic win!" stuff is obvious, artless, and boring. At least this one doesn't have Poochie Dom in it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Human Tornada posted:

Am I the only one who's sick of this dumb rear end franchise?

No, there was some other really interesting and edgy guy up thread who also wanted everyone to know how much he was not into this.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Human Tornada posted:

Am I the only one who's sick of this dumb rear end franchise? I liked it better when it was street-level knuckleheads screwing around in their neighborhoods. The transformation into "Letty and Han are gonna drive on the mother-freaking moon for the epic win!" stuff is obvious, artless, and boring. At least this one doesn't have Poochie Dom in it.

I'm... not really sure that Dom counts as a Poochie, given Vin Diesel is (to my knowledge) the last person in the cast who was in the first movie. He's kind of a reverse-Poochie, if anything.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Human Tornada posted:

Am I the only one who's sick of this dumb rear end franchise?
It would appear so.

F&F movies own, 4 and 8 weren't so good but all the rest are fantastic in their own way. If you don't think the last half-hour of Fast Five is genuinely good moviemaking then you're objectively wrong. Justin Lin is a legitimately amazing action director.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Snowman_McK posted:

No, there was some other really interesting and edgy guy up thread who also wanted everyone to know how much he was not into this.

That's right, everyone who disagrees with you is just doing it for attention.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I'm... not really sure that Dom counts as a Poochie, given Vin Diesel is (to my knowledge) the last person in the cast who was in the first movie. He's kind of a reverse-Poochie, if anything.

By Poochie I meant the in the "I'm a kung fu hippie from gangster city" way he goes from being the local-legend tough-guy gear-head to the world famous mercenary/heist man/escape artist/whatever else that governments and super-villains alike all desperately need in their service. But maybe Poochie's not the best equivalent.

Easy Diff posted:

It would appear so.

F&F movies own, 4 and 8 weren't so good but all the rest are fantastic in their own way. If you don't think the last half-hour of Fast Five is genuinely good moviemaking then you're objectively wrong. Justin Lin is a legitimately amazing action director.

Five is great, to me it feels like the culmination of the first four movies that against all odds somehow work together to form a larger piece despite being wildly different in quality and tone. Now it feels like they're just copying Five as best they can but playing the one-upmanship game that pays (for me personally) less and less dividends over time and can't really sustain itself. I'm not really interested in a movie franchise that's only goal at this point seems to be topping the spectacle of the last one.

But these movies are massive worldwide hits and have a big diverse cast so good for them I guess.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Human Tornada posted:

Five is great, to me it feels like the culmination of the first four movies that against all odds somehow work together to form a larger piece despite being wildly different in quality and tone. Now it feels like they're just copying Five as best they can but playing the one-upmanship game that pays (for me personally) less and less dividends over time and can't really sustain itself. I'm not really interested in a movie franchise that's only goal at this point seems to be topping the spectacle of the last one.

But these movies are massive worldwide hits and have a big diverse cast so good for them I guess.

Five was the last one Justin Lin worked on, after that they added Mr. Nobody and the government superspy poo poo that is progressively crowding out all the cool car poo poo. The most emblematic scene of which is in Fast 5 where they say "guess we'll need to get some burner cars" and show up at an underground race waving pink slips, then they just smash-cut to driving away with extra cars, like there's no reason to even bother with showing street racing in the series about street racing anymore because they're robbing the biggest drug kingpin in Brazil while playing cat-and-mouse with US Special Ops.

Fast 8 was bad and too superserious and I'm hoping this spinoff gets back to the "Saints Row: The Movie" level of dumb but brightly-colored and fun poo poo they were doing for the first five films.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Human Tornada posted:

That's right, everyone who disagrees with you is just doing it for attention.

Yes, that's what I'm saying.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

They've gotten progressively worse since 5, I'd agree. Although, hopefully this creates a new balance that works.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Darko posted:

They've gotten progressively worse since 5, I'd agree. Although, hopefully this creates a new balance that works.

While I think that's technically true, Fast Five was one of the best action movies of the decade so that still puts 6 and 7 pretty comfortably in "very good" territory. Only with 8 did the quality dip below that into "average". I know some people want to say 8 was unwatchable garbage but I think most of that is hyperbole based on how consistently good 5,6, and 7 were.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Easy Diff posted:

Five was the last one Justin Lin worked on, after that they added Mr. Nobody and the government superspy poo poo that is progressively crowding out all the cool car poo poo. The most emblematic scene of which is in Fast 5 where they say "guess we'll need to get some burner cars" and show up at an underground race waving pink slips, then they just smash-cut to driving away with extra cars, like there's no reason to even bother with showing street racing in the series about street racing anymore because they're robbing the biggest drug kingpin in Brazil while playing cat-and-mouse with US Special Ops.

Fast 8 was bad and too superserious and I'm hoping this spinoff gets back to the "Saints Row: The Movie" level of dumb but brightly-colored and fun poo poo they were doing for the first five films.

Lin did 6 as well. He didn't hand it off until 7, when he didn't think he could make the (pre-Paul's death) accelerated production schedule fit with his other commitments

Lin's confirmed back for 9 though so i think 8 is just going to end up being a dip in quality rather than the beginning of the end

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

https://www.polygon.com/2019/6/13/18677548/fast-furious-spy-racers-netflix-trailer-kipo-wonderbeasts-release-date-dreamworks-tv

Did we know Netflix was doing this!?

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Which one of you clowncars compared this series to Fury Road. Fury Road is more than spectacle. I'll fight you. I'll fight you dramatically in the rain. I'll fight you next to burning helicopter wreckage next to the Ticking Clock plot device. I'll mess you up man.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

get a life nerd

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
This is honestly the perfect thread title.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
American dad did it pretty well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtomHmFTPbI

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I will forever defend 3 as being one of the best ones.
8 was indeed a dip in quality, but I think it mainly lacked that Paul charm and that stupid Eastwood gently caress was so obviously meant to replace him and it fell flat.

Anyway the trailer for this got enormous reactions from everybody at my cinema, and while the trailer is literally 99% of the movie being spoiled I'm still hyped.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Zedd posted:

I will forever defend 3 as being one of the best ones.
8 was indeed a dip in quality, but I think it mainly lacked that Paul charm and that stupid Eastwood gently caress was so obviously meant to replace him and it fell flat.

Anyway the trailer for this got enormous reactions from everybody at my cinema, and while the trailer is literally 99% of the movie being spoiled I'm still hyped.

I think 8 just didn't have that spark, that perfect balance between absurdity and sincerity. It didn't know how to tread it. It's a really fine line that it took Lin 4 movies to perfect.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

weekly font posted:

And like an entire hospital's worth of innocent civilians.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

SolarFire2 posted:

And like an entire hospital's worth of innocent civilians.

That scene is careful to make sure every dead body is a SWAT guy. Maybe they worked at the hospital or something.

Either way, it's still absurd that he's now a good guy, but i also like the idea of a gunfight in a hospital leading to no civilian deaths, just piles of guys in body armour.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I felt like you all would like to know this.

The Japanese title is again amazing.
Wild Speed: Super Combo

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gonna feel good when I buy my tickets in Japan

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/idriselba/status/1144567499645751296

An Entertainment Weekly cover that's not garbage and actually kinda good? Color me surprised!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Jimbot posted:

https://twitter.com/idriselba/status/1144567499645751296

An Entertainment Weekly cover that's not garbage and actually kinda good? Color me surprised!

I mean, it's like the most charisma you can find in any given group of three people on Earth so I'm not too surprised they were able to manage this one.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b736ZM_KfEk - Final trailer. Seems like The Rock and Vanessa Kirby might *Chris Farley in Billy Madison voice* get it on.

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002
Wow, this last trailer managed to spoil the last big of the movie that was possible.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I'm not quite feeling this one. It feels on the wrong side of some intangible, the same side as Fate of the Furious, which was a serious step down from Furious 7. There's a ridiculously thin line between 'dumb, over the top and awesome' and just 'dumb and over the top'

Maybe it's the many CGI stunts. Nothing wrong with CGI, but the best sequences in the franchise tend to have been built around sequences filled with real stunts. It was ridiculous punchlines (like dragging a bank vault) executed as 'realistically' as possible. There was an actual bank vault or tank or whatever there. It mirrored the blend of ridiculous and sincere plot beats.

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013

Snowman_McK posted:

I'm not quite feeling this one. It feels on the wrong side of some intangible, the same side as Fate of the Furious, which was a serious step down from Furious 7. There's a ridiculously thin line between 'dumb, over the top and awesome' and just 'dumb and over the top'

Maybe it's the many CGI stunts. Nothing wrong with CGI, but the best sequences in the franchise tend to have been built around sequences filled with real stunts. It was ridiculous punchlines (like dragging a bank vault) executed as 'realistically' as possible. There was an actual bank vault or tank or whatever there. It mirrored the blend of ridiculous and sincere plot beats.

In my excessively-humble opinion: F7 is "comic book-y" and F8 is "live-action cartoon." H&S trailers look pretty cartoonish; haven't seen it, yet.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
I have never seen a Fluffy and Furry movie. Is this the same series that had Vin Diesel and Peejoe racing Corollas with fart-can mufflers through alleys? I remember that trailer and it looked stupid when I was in my twenties and this looks stupider but more glorious.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

High Lord Elbow posted:

I have never seen a Fluffy and Furry movie. Is this the same series that had Vin Diesel and Peejoe racing Corollas with fart-can mufflers through alleys? I remember that trailer and it looked stupid when I was in my twenties and this looks stupider but more glorious.

The series started super low stakes and eventually mutated into purestain gonzo by 5.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

The SituAsian posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b736ZM_KfEk - Final trailer. Seems like The Rock and Vanessa Kirby might *Chris Farley in Billy Madison voice* get it on.
The moment at around 0:34 where they go from actual London to recognisably the Universal backlot in LA made me smile more than any of the jokes.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!

Crain posted:

I mean, spectacle works. Sometimes people really do just want to see things go fast, blow up, and look pretty.

Take Avatar (the James Cameron one) for example. It’s the highest grossing film of all time, but I bet you not a single person you ask could tell you what goes on in the thing. Beyond “uhh blue people and unobtainium?” at least.

Allow me to prove you wrong.

On an alien planet, a space mining company is after a rare fictional mineral called unobtanium. The planet’s natives are blue aliens called Na’vi with deep spiritual connections to nature. In order to learn about the Na’vi and find out where the unobtainam is, the space miners use advanced technology to temporarily place human minds in Na’vi bodies, then send these ‘avatars’ in as ambassadors. Sigourney Weaver is the company’s chief scientist. Sam Witwer is the film protagonist, a wounded soldier named Jake Scully. He’s paraplegic in human form, treated with contempt and pity mostly. In his Na’vi body, though, he gets to run through the jungles of the alien planet, ride giant cats and furry pterodactyls by plugging his ponytail into their minds, and make out with Zoe Saldana (who plays the Na’vi leader). Small wonder Jake goes Dances With Wolves and decides he’s going to forsake humanity and be a Na’vi full time. The mining company then reveals they have plans to take the big unobtanium deposit under the Na’vi’s sacred tree and kill anybody who stands in their way. Jake rebels against them, Sigourney Weaver and a pilot played by Michelle Rodriguez join his side but they both get killed by the evil Colonel Quarles and his space marine army. Jake organizes the Na’vi, they fight and kill Quarles. Jake then uses a Na’vi ritual to go into his Na’vi body full time. The movie ends.

Yeah, I agree it was spectacle over substance. Still, movies like this are fun and they make money for the underrated art flicks with low performance you probably enjoy. I will see this one.

And for the record, Han shot first! Wait, wrong Han. I too doubt Statham will ever answer for that even though he should. :(

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Theyll reveal at the end of Hobs and Shaw that the the technology used to create the villain was tested on Han. Han will then appear as a Racer X like figure in Fast10 Your Seatbelts

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Barudak posted:

Fast10 Your Seatbelts
:perfect:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Reminder that this movie's title in Japan is WILD SPEED: SUPER COMBO

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008

Barudak posted:

Gonna feel good when I buy my tickets in Japan

One ticket for WILDU SPEEDU SUPAH CAHMBU arigato.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

teagone posted:

Reminder that this movie's title in Japan is WILD SPEED: SUPER COMBO

So who has the link to the trailer where the Killer Instinct combo voice has been added?