Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

saw this today. as someone whose favorite movie series is fast and furious and who acknowledges this technically isn’t one, if we’re gonna count this as one it’s the new worst one.

even 2 Fast 2 Furious (which is bad) was entertainingly terrible and had everyone being extremely charismatic as they chewed up scenery. this was just, I dunno, boring. also in need of an editor. I’m so tired of every comedy scene going on like 45 seconds too long, like the writer had a bunch of good one liners and couldn’t decide on just one so both characters just stand there reciting all of them for like a minute straight. so much of the comedy was just exhausting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
I liked the movie but it felt definitely too furious and not enough fast. A furry truck and a bunch of custom hot rods just isn't as exciting to see :( Vanessa Kirby was great and I'm glad the romance subplot went nowhere because I have a lot of gay Hobbs headcanons going on in my life.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

What

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Brixton had a loving transformer for a motorcycle and no one bats an eye. I half expected the final fight to be Brixton and the bike teaming up against Hobbs and Shaw.

God drat this movie was so loving dumb. I loved every second of it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Brixton being not master chief with his crew having not a warthog and what sounded like a riff on the halo theme pleased me

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Unless fast 9 really comes together, this franchise is dead for me. The biggest stunts being cg killed it for me but I think the bigger issue was the rock, he just sucks as goody Hobbs. He was great as a mean cop with ridiculous lines, but as the character became softer his whole shtick just became tiring and corny.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
That’s honestly how I feel about the Rock like 100% across the board.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Bust Rodd posted:

That’s honestly how I feel about the Rock like 100% across the board.

The only saving grace Jumanji has going is that it’s The Rock playing Danny DeVito. Otherwise yeah he’s getting a little stale.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Honest Thief posted:

Unless fast 9 really comes together, this franchise is dead for me. The biggest stunts being cg killed it for me but I think the bigger issue was the rock, he just sucks as goody Hobbs. He was great as a mean cop with ridiculous lines, but as the character became softer his whole shtick just became tiring and corny.

Fast 9 is directed by Justin Lin.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Comrade Fakename posted:

The most implausible thing about this movie was the idea that Shaw was only a year or two older than his sister. Vanessa Kirby is 31. Jason Statham is 52!

That's only a Vera/Taissa Farmiga age difference, no big deal. And their mother is even old enough to be Statham's.

edit: Looking at the trailers there sure was a lot of stuff changed or taken out. Lots of lines of dialogue gone and the helicopter shooting at the buggy at the factory changed to a drone.

CeeJee fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Aug 12, 2019

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

I really loved the movie, even knowing how dumb it was. I am not a fan of Fast and Furious (I thoroughly enjoyed Tokyo Drift and never watched another one) so that might have something to do with it.

The London sequence was dope. And even though there were some clear 'green screen' moments it all still worked for me.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

It actually really bothered me how they tried to make Shaw into a good guy/absolve him if his sins by saying the Evil Corporation set him up/framed him for killing his team. He directly leads to the deaths of dozens of people in FF7! Leave him as a bad dude, it’s fine.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Let's be honest here, these are superhero movies. Villains switch sides all the drat time.

EDIT: there's also a lot of BS retconning going on.

David D. Davidson fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Aug 14, 2019

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I saw this the other day, having never seen any of the F&F movies. It was staggeringly silly, completely absurd and mostly enjoyable. I don't think it needed to be anywhere near as long as it was though. I was ready for it to be over after the big action scene in the factory kinda place, and the Samoa stuff was just ehhhh until the helicopter chase scene which was admittedly quite cool. I have no idea why on earth they tried to shoehorn a romantic subplot in - seems like just a matter of ticking stuff off a checklist.

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Aug 14, 2019

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

With all the macho posturing both behind the scenes and in front of the camera it would not surprise me to find out that the romance subplot was shoehorned in to make it clear that the Rock definitely had a case of the not gays.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Finally saw this. My first not really film related thoughts were that I chuckled at the relationship between Hobbs and Locke, I chuckled when they showed the Gregg's at George Square that I occasionally consider going into, and that the London car chase was basically them going through the same four or five blocks from George Square into Merchant City over and over again.

Also I really felt like the movie should've been more than it was.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

The Rock comes across as weirdly asexual to me. I cannot imagine him having sex or having believable sexual chemistry with anyone and attempts to give him love interests just come across as weird and stilted. Unlike Vin/Dom who 100% Fucks and has powerful sexual chemistry with everyone.

I think these movies suffer the more CGI centric the action is. The strength of Lin’s movies’ action and previous upping the ante was how they were mainly increasingly elaborate practical stunts done with real cars. Nothing in this movie/much of F8 had any weight to it and just came across cold. Super excited for 9 though with Lin back in the saddle

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Mandrel posted:

The Rock comes across as weirdly asexual to me. I cannot imagine him having sex or having believable sexual chemistry with anyone and attempts to give him love interests just come across as weird and stilted. Unlike Vin/Dom who 100% Fucks and has powerful sexual chemistry with everyone.

The Rock has a ton of charisma but only when he's doing certain things and having normal conversations in a movie is not one of those things. Even when he's in scenes with his own real-life daughter he seems stilted.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

The Rocks carefully cultivated and throughly vetted roles have utterly ruined him. He’s an empty hollow husk of an actor. A brand.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

CeeJee posted:

That's only a Vera/Taissa Farmiga age difference, no big deal. And their mother is even old enough to be Statham's.

edit: Looking at the trailers there sure was a lot of stuff changed or taken out. Lots of lines of dialogue gone and the helicopter shooting at the buggy at the factory changed to a drone.

It’s just about plausible that they’re siblings. It’s not even slightly plausible that they played together as children, which we see in flashbacks. When Vanessa Kirby was nine years old, Jason Statham was 30.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

sponges posted:

The Rocks carefully cultivated and throughly vetted roles have utterly ruined him. He’s an empty hollow husk of an actor. A brand.

So he's Will Smith with bigger muscles.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
So what was Shaw even doing when he beat up the guy in London in the beginning? He is like working as a vigilante now after saving a baby?

Also no one ever eats food in this movie outside of the initial breakfast scenes and cheat day in the diner. Once the mission is accepted, no food, but whiskey and beer apparently. Not important, but stood out to me when there is the tradition of fast and furious bbqs

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Comrade Fakename posted:

It’s just about plausible that they’re siblings. It’s not even slightly plausible that they played together as children, which we see in flashbacks. When Vanessa Kirby was nine years old, Jason Statham was 30.

The flashbacks were true to character history, but they obscured that 30 year old Shaw used his kid sister as a co-conspirator.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014
I think the criticism of this film fails to understand it's intent. You can point out how the CGI doesn't look real all you want, how the characters ages don't make sense, whatever. The people who made the film never set out to make it plausible or realistic. You are watching a comedy action cartoon set in a world of magic robots, not the bourne identity.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
So what?

Sloppy, incoherent filmmaking doesn't deserve a pass just because the creators were (in your opinion) only aiming for spectacle and ignoring the finer points. Typically when the spectacle works well enough people can ignore the other flaws in a movie, but if that's the case then the action had better rise above the level of CGI goop.

There are plenty of ridiculous action movies with fantastical elements that aren't trying to be Bourne that are beloved, e.g. John Wick, Fury Road, Guardians of the Galaxy, other F&F movies.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014
What makes you think that the film was intended to be coherent? I've seen nothing to indicate that that was one of their goals.

Your complaint would only make sense if it was supposed to do what you want it to do. It wasn't. A vase is uncomfortable to sit on, but that's not a sign of a bad vase. It's a sign you're too stupid to sit on a chair instead.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

But previous Fast and Furious movies, most notably Fast Five, did their best to couch their use of CGI in good practical stunt work. The series was at its best when the Fast universe was like this hyperreality where regular crime concerns and also giant safe car chases existed in the same space. The further it gets towards cartoonishness, the less I'm interested.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

HorseLord posted:

What makes you think that the film was intended to be coherent? I've seen nothing to indicate that that was one of their goals.

Your complaint would only make sense if it was supposed to do what you want it to do. It wasn't. A vase is uncomfortable to sit on, but that's not a sign of a bad vase. It's a sign you're too stupid to sit on a chair instead.

What makes you so sure that the creators of a four-quadrant, summer tentpole blockbuster action movie intentionally made the movie incoherent and with tiresome action sequences? Just the fact that it is? Just because a movie is a "comedy action cartoon set in a world of magic robots" doesn't automatically exempt it from having convincing looking action sequences and internal verisimilitude.

Like the movie if you want, but claiming that everybody who doesn't is just too stupid to recognize that it's flawed on purpose (for some reason?) is silly.

Human Tornada fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Aug 21, 2019

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

just because you didn't like it, doesn't mean it's bad either.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I'll call whatever I please good or bad, welcome to the language of talking about things we like or dislike.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

Not for nothing but it kind of seems like you just skim through topics looking for something you can start bickering over

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The internet is annoying as hell and I want to fight it

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

I’m pretty sure nobody sets out to make a bad movie like hell yeah let’s make this one extra lovely but sure

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I don't think hiring Jason Statham is sloppy film making, personally

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

For you, maybe. My taste is flawless, and a guide to the objective.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

You better have loved this then, this masterpiece of insane action schlock.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

I mean they kept driving the same four blocks of Glasgow. That counts for something.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Human Tornada posted:

What makes you so sure that the creators of a four-quadrant, summer tentpole blockbuster action movie intentionally made the movie incoherent and with tiresome action sequences? Just the fact that it is? Just because a movie is a "comedy action cartoon set in a world of magic robots" doesn't automatically exempt it from having convincing looking action sequences and internal verisimilitude.

Like the movie if you want, but claiming that everybody who doesn't is just too stupid to recognize that it's flawed on purpose (for some reason?) is silly.

I guess I have to explain it to you again. If something doesn't do something it's not meant to do, it's not flawed. Glass hurts your mouth? You think glass sucks because you can't eat it? Then stop doing that. They sell food at the store, eat that instead. Everyone else understands how to correctly use glass.

You have to actually prove that they wanted to make the film "coherent", whatever that means. Because there's nothing anywhere that said they were trying to do whatever it is you think they were trying to do.

All you've got is two assumptions. You first assume everyone knows what you mean by a film being coherent or not. The second assumption you're making is that they wanted to do that. You can't prove that's true.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014
What I think about Hobbs and Shaw is that it promised me I'd get to see the rock and the other guy fight the guy people want to be james bond but isn't. I got that, good job movie! I might have forgotten it in a week, but I liked when not james bond fell through a bus. Entirely enjoyable experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

HorseLord posted:

You have to actually prove that they wanted to make the film "coherent", whatever that means. Because there's nothing anywhere that said they were trying to do whatever it is you think they were trying to do.

All you've got is two assumptions. You first assume everyone knows what you mean by a film being coherent or not. The second assumption you're making is that they wanted to do that. You can't prove that's true.

The super double secret title of this film is actually The Producers Presents: Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw. The shadowy figure who wants to turn all of humanity into cyborg ubermensches is in fact Hitler. This will be revealed in a fawning musical number in the sequel. Move over Bialystock and Bloom! It's time for The Rock and Statham!