Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
$440m worldwide gross to date on a $200m budget probably means that Tyrese is gloating like a madman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

HorseLord posted:

I guess I have to explain it to you again. If something doesn't do something it's not meant to do, it's not flawed. Glass hurts your mouth? You think glass sucks because you can't eat it? Then stop doing that. They sell food at the store, eat that instead. Everyone else understands how to correctly use glass.

You have to actually prove that they wanted to make the film "coherent", whatever that means. Because there's nothing anywhere that said they were trying to do whatever it is you think they were trying to do.

All you've got is two assumptions. You first assume everyone knows what you mean by a film being coherent or not. The second assumption you're making is that they wanted to do that. You can't prove that's true.

I don't "actually" have to "prove" anything I don't want to, you realize this isn't The People v. Fast and Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw, right? Although I'm still not sure why your assumption that this movie never attempts XYZ is somehow more valid than my assumption that this movie attempts XYZ and fails.

You liked the movie. Great. I bet a lot of people did, also some people didn't and some were mixed. Why this troubles you to the point that you're inventing increasingly strained analogies to try to paint those in the latter two groups as glass-eating imbeciles is something only you can answer.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014
Well you have to be a glass eating imbecile because you keep insisting that the filmmakers were attempting something, but you don't have any evidence that they were. You're now just saying "prove that they weren't!", and why should I? You're the one making the claim.

If I watch a film and it doesn't have a [whatever it is you want], there's no reason to assume they just accidentally forgot to put one of those in there. If they'd wanted to do that, they'd have done it.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

That’s right. They made an incoherent movie on purpose and therefore it is good.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014
Pretty much. If this was in french and had a bunch of stuttery jump cuts in a cafe scene people would be calling it a masterpiece.

There is only a plot so much as that you need someone to say something that doesn't make sense, so as to lead into the next non-sequitur action scene. The rock said his Samoan bush mechanic brother could fix a dialysis machine, so they went there got followed and had a big fight. They even had the dedicated woman character say all the guns had computers in she could hack, that way the tribe didn't get shot when they started hitting the robot people with clubs. It's genius.

Crank did the exact same thing. Someone stole his heart so he got given an electric one so he had to rub himself to get more static electricity. He killed someone's body falling out of a helicopter so they made him into a head in a jar. I don't know how you can't follow it, it's simple.

HorseLord fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Aug 21, 2019

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

You seem to be taking the mild complaints about this movie pretty harshly, so I'd like to inform you that criticisms of the things you like aren't criticisms of you personally.

Honest question: If the people who find some elements of this movie lacking are wrong because the movie is meant to be that way, does this mean that every movie is criticism-proof because hey, we were wrong for expecting something (i.e. interesting characters, a good story, funny jokes) that wasn't in the movie?

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
It means that this movie is supposed to be an action comedy with: fun interplay between the two leads, (often integrated into the action itself), and over the top action and fights. Maybe a serviceable story too. That's about it, and it does those things very well and is very entertaining for those that wanted those things.

Anyone expecting more than that or something different, well that's on them. If you want to critique the technical merits of the film within its parameters, that's valid, but you should also find something better to do than run a very un-cerebral action blockbuster through that film critique lens

FWIW the action is not the best staging/editing ever but still pretty good and always coherent and nicely done, and as I said, actually works well in service of the characters too

quote:

(i.e. interesting characters, a good story, funny jokes)

These are pretty nebulous concepts and very objective things. of course you can comment on them as criticism of a movie but saying this movie should have been something else or something more is dumb

Wandle Cax fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Aug 22, 2019

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Human Tornada posted:

Honest question: If the people who find some elements of this movie lacking are wrong because the movie is meant to be that way, does this mean that every movie is criticism-proof because hey, we were wrong for expecting something (i.e. interesting characters, a good story, funny jokes) that wasn't in the movie?

Sounds like you can't distinguish between filmmakers that didn't do something you want (this film), with filmmakers that did try to do that, but failed at it. (The Room, anything by Neil Breen).

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

That actually clears things up tremendously. If you personally like a film it means the filmmakers accomplished everything they set out to, nothing more nothing less, and if you personally don't like a film then it's fair game for everyone else to say that they think the filmmakers missed the mark. It was staring me right in the face this whole time! :doh:

Wandle Cax posted:

Anyone expecting more than that or something different, well that's on them. If you want to critique the technical merits of the film within its parameters, that's valid, but you should also find something better to do than run a very un-cerebral action blockbuster through that film critique lens

These are pretty nebulous concepts and very objective things. of course you can comment on them as criticism of a movie but saying this movie should have been something else or something more is dumb

Where are you guys getting this idea that people went into this movie expecting Jean-Luc Goddard? Saying the sets looked like sets or the CGI was unimpressive or The Rock is annoying now isn't exactly doctoral candidate level stuff here. Saying a movie should have been better than it was is a perfectly valid criticism of any movie. Plenty of people like big silly action movies but that doesn't mean we have to like every big silly action movie and that we can't recognize their flaws as we perceive them.

But then again I remember when the first Transformers movie came out and there were a bunch of weirdos sputtering about "how dare anyone insult this movie, what did you expect loving Shakespeare?!" so I guess some things never change.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

it’s funny to mention the room because I have had way more fun every time I’ve watched it than I did during my single viewing of this film

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Human Tornada posted:

That actually clears things up tremendously. If you personally like a film it means the filmmakers accomplished everything they set out to, nothing more nothing less, and if you personally don't like a film then it's fair game for everyone else to say that they think the filmmakers missed the mark. It was staring me right in the face this whole time! :doh:

Where are you guys getting this idea that people went into this movie expecting Jean-Luc Goddard? Saying the sets looked like sets or the CGI was unimpressive or The Rock is annoying now isn't exactly doctoral candidate level stuff here. Saying a movie should have been better than it was is a perfectly valid criticism of any movie. Plenty of people like big silly action movies but that doesn't mean we have to like every big silly action movie and that we can't recognize their flaws as we perceive them.

But then again I remember when the first Transformers movie came out and there were a bunch of weirdos sputtering about "how dare anyone insult this movie, what did you expect loving Shakespeare?!" so I guess some things never change.

You're weird. Have you decided what you want "coherent" to mean yet?

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Why the gently caress wouldn't they want to make a coherent movie? This isn't a David Lynch film.

Action movies have this leeway that other movies don't: As long as you a base level of acceptable action sequences nothing else matters.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It was coherent though.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Given the amount "incoherent" has been thrown around, I'm curious what people were confused by. I never felt like I didn't understand what was going on.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I used the word a couple of times as a general characteristic of poor filmmaking and now HorseLoad is obsessing over it for some reason???

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Well, it's a word with a specific meaning that doesn't seem to apply to the movie, so it's reasonable enough on a movie discussion forum to ask what you mean by it. You've now clarified that it's a generic euphemism for "bad," which is fine, if a bit goofy. But it wasn't obvious from context that you didn't have a specific point to make.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Fair enough. Although the specific point I was making wasn't really about this movie, it was that even "comedy action cartoons" can be bad sometimes, and here's a few reasons why they might be, and that HorseLord was wrong to assert that criticism of this movie isn't valid because people went in expecting Bourne (somehow?).

I'm not posting the dictionary definition of "incoherent" or giving specific examples because I'm not interested in debating the finer points of this specific movie, just pointing out that HorseLord is wrong that the people who didn't like it just didn't know what to expect from a movie called Fast and Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw, as if that's even possible.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

This argument is incoherent

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It really looks like neither of you is actually reading what the other person is saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Bust Rodd posted:

It really looks like neither of you is actually reading what the other person is saying.

welcome to cd