Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Joyce is entertaining. Plodding forwards, clubbing away like a giant duracell bunny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Joyce - Jennings & Dubois - Gorman are a couple of potentially entertaining Heavyweight scraps on BT Sport in the UK tonight.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Here's a big slab of the 1980's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejso6cSepOg

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

One hell of a one punch KO

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

LLCoolJD posted:

I'm excited to see how Dubois-Joyce shakes out. :toot:

:hmmyes:

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Congrats to RJJ for still being able to make money at this despite having a KO defeat to Enzo Maccarinelli on his record.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Joyce keeps coming until you get knocked out or quit

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Dubois' injuries against Joyce confirmed now, a broken orbital bone and nerve damage. It's a difficult injury to come back from 100%, you can understand him taking a knee.

I worry for him in that he recently signed a 5 year deal with Frank Warren, and he might end up going back in the ring against his own best interests. Warren had some front calling for a rematch in the post-fight interview, it doesn't matter what the scorecards said at the time of the stoppage, Joyce put manners on Dubois.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Tyson's reputation and myth definitely precedes him when it comes to the all timer argument, but there's still that X factor of him at his very very best that makes you wonder that on any given night, could he have actually beaten some of the very best at their very best, like Smokin' Joe, Foreman etc.

I don't think you'd ever consider the likes of Wilder being able to compete with the GOATs.

Tyson has a great highlight reel of KOs, but he came up at a really poor era in the division. After Holmes' retirement there were a lot of fighters in the top echelon that were either fat or coked up, some of them both. Mike managed to plough through them but did struggle with big guys who had decent boxing fundamentals and could take a punch. Even in his very short prime period he looked less than impressive against Bonecrusher Smith and a one handed Tony Tucker. A fit and motivated Tim Witherspoon could have given him real problems. H2H I'd pick the prime Ali, Holmes. Lewis, Wlad & Holyfield to beat him quite easily and could also see Foreman beating him and maybe Joe Frazier breaking his heart.

EDIT : I think Sonny Liston would have bullied Mike and made him cry.

biglads fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Nov 30, 2020

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Jump King posted:

I am a Sam Langford believer personally

Harry Wills for me.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

I'm not that into boxing, but from the sounds of it, the league was down right anemic during the '80s and early '90s in terms of talent.

You had Holmes and Tyson as the elite operators at either end of the 80's. Guys like Witherspoon, Tucker, Dokes, Page etc were good contenders in the decade but a combination of cocaine and shenanigans with Don and Carl King screwing guys over left right and centre wrecked a few careers. In between Holmes getting old (82/83?) and Tyson getting the belts later on, some pretty average guys swapped the straps around. All the way through Holmes' WBC reign, there were a number of comparative duds holding the WBA belt.

By the time you get into the early 90's you have Holyfield moving up from Cruiser and Lewis coming along. Add in Bowe, Ruddock and Golota it wasn't too bad.

EDIT : Outside of the Heavyweight division, I'd argue that the 1980's could have been boxings best decade.

biglads fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Dec 1, 2020

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Jump King posted:

He sure did. It's a good win, but as I said, Spinks was fighting far above his weight. The fact that Spinks was able to climb the mountain at heavyweight to begin with was a result of the period being relatively weak. I still felt like I should mention him though, because he was a legitimately good fighter.

Michael Spinks was one of the very best of all time at 175lbs. His wins at Heavyweight weren't that great though, a couple of highly disputed decisions over an old Holmes, wins over a washed up Cooney and Tangstad(?) and a chunk of inactivity before the Tyson bout. Even so he was the first Light Heavy champ to win the lineal Heavyweight crown where other great fighters before him (e.g. Moore, Foster) had failed. For that he deserves a lot of respect. He was also smart enough with his money so that he didn't have to comeback. Not being a Don King fighter probably helped with that, RIP Butch Lewis.

A Spinks - Holyfield fight at Cruiser would have been amazing.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Whyte doesn't have the single shot power of Wilder but he's a much better all-round fighter. He's a live underdog in this.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I think Joshua knows he's got to go for the stoppage and he ends up walking onto one. Usyk by KO in 7.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Jose posted:

what time does the fight start. i missed it was tonight and would like to watch it if its not in the US

Ringwalks for the main event are apparently at 10:30 UK Time

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

RIP Earnie Shavers, "the Acorn"

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Joyce is a 19 stone heavy handed granite jawed pressure fighter.

Nobody is relishing a fight against this guy.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

LLCoolJD posted:

Joyce fights tomorrow. Frank Warren has installed a ref known for early stoppages.

Frank Warren is an absolute shitheel but what boxing promoter isn't?

Probably there so that when Zhang starts to gas the ref gets him out of there because Joyce will just keep hitting him and he's a very punishing fighter to be up against, he makes a mess of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Well IDKSAB