Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I always saw AJ had a bit of a chin problem but not a knocked out by Homer Simpson level problem. He's lost the wind out of his sails a little...

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jun 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I think most people are mad at Eddie Hearn.

Probably because he's a huge oval office.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Joshua's going to be fighting his own mentality in the rematch as well as a dude who just gave him a tonking.

If he can come back mentally stronger from it though, he'll be doing really well

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Tyson Fury: Baddest man on the planet.

Not sure if hilarious, depressing, or both in huge quantities.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

10/10 for Joshua saying "just watch me on TV if you're gay so Saudi Arabia doesn't kill you"

talksport.com/sport/boxing/598881/anthony-joshua-saudi-arabia-human-rights-andy-ruiz-jr

Hope the roided prick gets knocked out nice and easy again

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

which of the ali frasier fights would you consider to be the best?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Tyson's reputation and myth definitely precedes him when it comes to the all timer argument, but there's still that X factor of him at his very very best that makes you wonder that on any given night, could he have actually beaten some of the very best at their very best, like Smokin' Joe, Foreman etc.

I don't think you'd ever consider the likes of Wilder being able to compete with the GOATs.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

unify the belts
drain the swamp

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Obviously, Floyd could be in a coma for ten years and have a lobotomy on the part of his brain that knows how to box and still be 2000% the boxer Paul is, but at least it still has that weight difference going for it.

Not like Paul can land a punch with any power behind it on Floyd but you know, it has one bullet point of interest.
The objective funniest, and therefore best outcome of this is Paul clips him with a wild, garbage hook that knocks Floyd out cold.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Quizzlefish posted:

Best outcome is double knockout with both launching sweet hooks to the jaw simultaneously.

Would a double KO count as a loss for both or a draw for both, cos if it's a L for both, that's definitely funnier than a clean Floyd KO on a fluke.

I think they should invent time travel and fight Earnie Shavers though.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

there's a tiny but somewhat genuine wonder if the paul fight's not actually the most dangerous of the three "floyd needs money circus fight" trilogy purely because of the weight difference, 'cos nasukawa never had a prayer and conor lasted exactly as long as floyd wanted him and that was always going to be the case to so a big(ger) dude just flailing like a child might bring the victory chance for floyd down to 99.999999999% instead of 100%

and thats how they'll get their PPV buys i guess.
not from me, i'm not giving them a penny, i'll watch the streamable highlight on r/boxing

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

next time he should hire bigfoots voodoo wizards to hex floyd so he can win outright

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Jose posted:

Tyson Vs Paul imo

Mike, Fury, either or both at once?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I can't see Fury vs Joshua happening in any situation where Covid is preventing a sell-out at Wembley.

I don't think it's especially competitive either so I'm not pining for it.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

This sucks. Will have to watch Hagler Hearns later in his honour

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASe3GTXgC1o

RIP legend, what a fighter.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Jump King posted:

Definitely, but I do think Jake Paul might be more of a real boxer than people expect. He's got the money and time to train fulltime and has been doing so for a bit. He clearly has the athletic talent as well, I don't think its ridiculous to say he might actually be decent at this. Obviously not good enough to like, win a title or something, but good enough that you can't really think of him as not a boxer. He's not going to try to climb the ranks as a boxer when he can get infinite money from doing these circus fights, but he's got something.

I would agree with basically all of that. Time and money to do something you're passionate about with people who extremely good at it and at teaching it will make you pretty drat good at it.
He'd lose 100/100 fights in MMA against Askren but he'd probably win 100/100 in Boxing.

It wasn't fixed or anything but Askren was definitely not there to win and gently caress, he made 500k show money and who knows how much in whatever else money so you know what, he's a winner here too.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I think Canelo runs through him, but who can say if he's on the juice. :shrug:

Always that shadow hanging over Canelo for me, which is a shame because he's clearly great.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Not going to hate the hustle. Jake definitely takes boxing seriously, even though he's not going to be elite, he puts a lot of time and effort in to it and if people are going to give him more than his skill is worth for the eyes he brings in, so be it. Sure, he's a loving turd of a person and seeing him ko'd would be nice, but if he's taking big names like showtime for a ride, I'm for it. A broken clock as they say.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Inoue could easily end up being an all time great.

It's awesome to see a little dude who hits like a bulldozer. Makes no sense.

Must also be baffling for a professional boxer at the highest level get hit by a liver punch like that and have your body just be ready to quit. At least in my mind, I feel like getting hit hard in the head in sparring and a fight is something you get used to but a killer body shot is something you can't.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58612530

Not surprised there's issues involved with Amir Khan and facemasks.
Might knock himself out putting one on.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Tells you everything you need to know about the match up tbh.
If he can't land a bit of a sucker punch, he's not going to do too well in a boxing match

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Joshua needs to get that Fury belt signed sealed and delivered ASAP.
Not because it'd be competitive, but because the window for it actually happening and being relevant at this point is almost entirely gone.

Fair to say that any cross atlantic interest in the fight is likely gone, but the UK interest might still be there.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Agreed personally. Money speaks though.

I don't think there's any version of Joshua that makes it all 12 against Fury tbh.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Fury is an actual nightmare match-up for Joshua, Wilder would probably drain all of his confidence as soon as he landed hard. Joshua might be more skilful than Wilder, but he doesn't hit as hard.

If/When Usyk beats him again, AJ's not going to have much else to go for.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Woodleys defense is just truly elite.

The way he timed that glove drop to get knocked out is beautiful

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Easy

"we want to keep selling canelo tickets so he's going to win the decision... hang on, this isn't close, we're going to look stupid if we give him this better start scoring what we're seeing... rematch will make us money anyway"

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Floyd posted a slip of a 10k bet on Bivol to win (which like me placing a £1 bet) on his Insta and Broner commented on it saying me too bro easy money but didn't show receipts, which is quite embarrassing

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Anthony Joshua chased a bunch of university kids to their flat and threatened to crack their glass jaws (:ironicat:?) because they suggested that he ducked Tyson Fury.

Imagine being a boxing champ, body like a greek god, 6'6 and getting upset at uni kids. Bit embarrassing mate

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The man is a killer

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Can we finally move past the AJ era over here in the UK.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

LobsterMobster posted:

It is now the Leon "Rocky" Edwards era

which one of these is he

Marching Powder posted:

[wishmaster voice] as you wishhhha. you may support the loser, or the homophobe.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Hughie Fury or Chisora for some UK payday to try and convince us for the xth time that Tyson Fury wouldn't kill him

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

My man looks like a 18 year old in 1970 or a 52 year old in 2022

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Jack B Nimble posted:

Is boxing better or worse off if Joshua gets a (presumably very lucky) KO?

Edit: I assume our UK fans will have to enter into old blitz era shelters to avoid the nationalist media storm that would wash over the kingdom.

I don't think it changes the landscape at all. Tyson's always flirting with not fighting again and Joshua's toast if he loses, but he'll just lose to someone else off the back of it.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Torquemada posted:

I think this guy could very well be my least favourite fighter of all time. He makes a meal out of every fight he's in, his under-confidence and timidity sap any entertainment value or sense of investment I might have.

Joshua is the peak example of the British selling our mediocrity as exceptional.

Bonus points for them selling our one exceptional fighter as mediocre (Fury)

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Quizzlefish posted:

Louis Theroux interviews Anthony Joshua came out last night. It's on BBC.

Louis is a British kooky documentary maker. He has a personable style that disarms people and gets them to be quite open.

After watching AJ.... He (as always) seems like a nice guy. But I will be betting against him at his next fight.

It's hella hosed up and not boxing related but his documentary where he interviews people who worked with Jimmy Savile after all the revelations came out and how they just choose to not believe any of it and have like shrines to him still is a fantastic watch.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Inoue's good, but he's no Jake Paul

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

This is some real miserable poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Tyson has a very solid claim to be in the list of the greatest fighters of all time, will still have all of the fight intelligence, muscle memory and theoretical skill to be better than anyone Paul has ever stepped in the ring with, even though his body won't let those brain signals connect as quickly or resolutely as they did back in the day.

But to hope that's going to matter against a 27 year old rich enough to pay excellent trainers to become a professional boxer despite a lack of natural ability and the sources & advice needed to cycle properly is probably copium.
All this will ever prove is that if you're rich enough, you can also get good enough to beat up a legendary boxer with a 30 year age gap over you.

The allure of the "what if" Tyson can a moment of his prime out of the bag and kill Paul dead is going to sell gangbusters, and everyone will come out of it feeling depressed when Tyson looks like a 58 year old.