Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8LAwozrXPo&hd=1

Screw you Jupiter! :argh:

Our sun will go supernova in just a century. The solution? Build 10,000 world engines and move that sucker to a new solar system, Planetary Annihilation style.

The journey will be long and cold, with the earth's surface long frozen over, the only source of warmth being the colossal world engines themselves.

When tectonic instability causes the systemic failure of thousands of world engines, a ragtag group of survivors and a lone astronaut aboard the ISS must race against the clock--and defy the world government that intends to leave them for dead--to pull off a desperate plan to restart the engines before the earth is pulled into the Roche limit of Jupiter.

Get ready for some golden era sci-fi on a scale that has rarely been attempted on the silver screen before.

Armageddon? Deep Impact? The Day After Tomorrow? The Martian? They ain't got poo poo on this.

Based on the short story by Cixin Liu, author of The Three Body Problem

Directed by Frant Gwo, director of My Old Classmate

According to The Hollywood Reporter, "Beijing-based distributor CMC Pictures has secured the international rights and is planning a sizable North American release on Feb. 8. The company will open the film in 22 cities in the U.S. and three in Canada, as well as throughout Australia."

Cities:

Since this is a short notice release by a Chinese distributor, expect less-than-perfect English subtitles, but you should be able to get the gist of it.

Reviews:
‘The Wandering Earth’ Is China’s First Breathtaking Sci-Fi Success

China’s Film Industry Finally Joins the Space Race

The Wandering Earth has made a giant leap for China’s science fiction cinema but not for the genre itself

It’s a massive, exciting concept and a solid tension-building story that will keep you on the edge of your seat

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Feb 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Really glad this has better distribution than Wolf Warrior 2. It was a pain in the rear end to find that in theaters but there's a few in the area showing this.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
This film is a preview of how incomprehensibly stupid Hollywood will get - even more than they currently are - once China indisputably becomes the world's largest movie market. It's like Battlefield Earth, Transformers, and an Uwe Boll film put in a blender.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Slutitution posted:

It's like Battlefield Earth, Transformers, and an Uwe Boll film put in a blender.
Sold!

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

The United States posted:

Screw you Jupiter! :argh:

Terminator 2 helicopter pilot posted:

That's a drat minigun!

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Cant wait to see black science mans take on this dumb bullshit

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

banned from Starbucks posted:

Cant wait to see black science mans take on this dumb bullshit

Turns out it all checks out

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

The United States posted:

Directed by Frant Gwo, director of My Old Classmate

Some top-class photoshop skills here on the heads in the right half of this poster

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Slutitution posted:

This film is a preview of how incomprehensibly stupid Hollywood will get - even more than they currently are - once China indisputably becomes the world's largest movie market. It's like Battlefield Earth, Transformers, and an Uwe Boll film put in a blender.

Disagree, it was more a combo of 2001 and Over the Top.

But not as good as either. I was pretty disappointed in this. It's way, way too long and just really boring. I expected some of the stupidity, like the really bad comic relief characters but it just dragged. The trailer had enough wacky stuff in it that I thought they could fill two hours, but it really couldn't. Instead you are left with a movie that thinks trucking is way more exciting than it comes off in the movie.

Highlight of the movie was the anti corruption/bribery message early on. I enjoyed that.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Mainstream Chinese cinema is really bad and I'm speaking as somebody who can actually understand the movies in their original language (and original badness).

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Is the story this is based on any good? I know the author won a Hugo for another novel.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Is the story this is based on any good? I know the author won a Hugo for another novel.
The story is wonderful and is pretty much nothing like the film aside from the basic premise.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Vegetable posted:

Mainstream Chinese cinema is really bad and I'm speaking as somebody who can actually understand the movies in their original language (and original badness).

Wolf Warrior 2 is some of the most fun I've had at an action movie in years and Wolf Warrior 1 is pretty good. I knew going in this would likely be stupid and resemble a 90s/aughts sci fi blockbuster... but I forgot how long and boring those could be. Ah well!

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
My favorite thing about this movie is how the end credits appear over an animation of the earth flying through the pages of a book. Because the movie is based on a book. Just amazing thought processes in action here

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TDII5IkI3Y

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Ughhh, so this movie does suck? I hate that the trailer looks good and the premise is cool.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
I was vaguely looking forward to this. Oh well

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Hedenius posted:

The story is wonderful and is pretty much nothing like the film aside from the basic premise.

I was really looking forward to this film but holy poo poo it's bad. The directing is terrible with missing scenes in between set pieces, the two main actors are just terrible and the dialogue is almost garbage (which is made worse if you understand mandarin). They basically took the setting in the story and pasted a dumb YA - like Day After Tomorrow combined with 2001 A Space Odyssey plot on top, and made the nationalism so on the nose there's a plot point that only the Chinese have the willpower to save the planet from being destroyed.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
If you want a more serious take on the human ark type story, this one is making the arthouse rounds
https://youtu.be/3MIlE9R00ik

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

This movie is awesome. Yes, everything about it is terrible but if you go into it expecting a disaster movie so over the top it makes Day After Tomorrow look like a corporate training film you will enjoy yourself. I cackled for a good 10 minutes at the final solution to blow up Jupiter

How can you not enjoy a movie where an angry Chinese Marine shoots a chaingun at Jupiter? You're a boring person if you can't find enjoyment in this completely bonkers film.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I watched this last night and made it about an hour before I had to turn it off. It was just...bad. I wish it was just subtitles because the dubbing is terrible. It was super boring and I really had no idea what was happening.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

This was kinda cheesy, but it was big stupid fun with pretty good production values and it had an interesting setting. I for one welcome our new Chinese overlords and look forward to their becoming the next superpower.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Started this cause it looked and read like it was interesting (went in without any spoilers) and stopped halfway(? It was at the part where the guy on the space station got out of the hibernation thing and started waking people in the room up presumably to go save his kid or something) to go to bed. Not really sure if I want to finish it.

That’s my story.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

I got high as poo poo and made it through this. It felt kinda like if a roland emerich/michael bay movie was actually literally written by a five year old instead of thousands of highly paid writers and focus groups. Some of the effects were pretty good but it mostly looked like a (pricey) TV show, especially since about 70% of the movie just takes place inside this big truck thing:

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Phenotype posted:

This was kinda cheesy, but it was big stupid fun with pretty good production values and it had an interesting setting. I for one welcome our new Chinese overlords and look forward to their becoming the next superpower.

West Korea appreciates your support for The
Great Leader Pooh Bear

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
the dub of this is like 1970s speed racer quality

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Saw this movie in the theater... guess what? It’s terrible!

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Watched it last night. Wow, they go full absurdity on this.

Wholesale spoilers below:

They basically have to mine and burn half of earth to feed the engines for 2500 years. And the whole time the atmosphere is basically drifting off into space. It will never be habitable after that.

And they aren’t even one percent into the trip and their guide space station is now gone, the hibernation pods were ejected to probably fall into Jupiter, and they didn’t even take into account that stopping the earth’s rotation stops the protective magnetosphere that protects us from stellar radiation (you can pretend the core keeps rotating I guess). Everyone just got a lethal dose from Jupiter basically. Also, I thoroughly enjoyed the Mach 1000 (that’s over 70,000mph) shockwave that didn’t flatten half of earth.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

The synopsis of this movie looks dumb, but also batshit insane in a good way. Is it worth watching for the set pieces? Or is it so bad it's irredeemable?

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

It's really not a goofy fun movie, instead I would say it's mostly humorous. It's a perfect candidate for a MST3K/Rifftrax/Bad movie night film because it is so incompetent.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

smoobles posted:

The synopsis of this movie looks dumb, but also batshit insane in a good way. Is it worth watching for the set pieces?

Mostly no. All the cool parts are in the trailer.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon
I came for two hours of bad decision making and actors screaming at each other while they're crying and explosions are also happening and it delivered.

Farm Frenzy posted:

It felt kinda like if a roland emerich/michael bay movie was actually literally written by a five year old

is as succinct a summary as you can get.

This is a great candidate for a second monitor Netflix tab or a movie party where folks can pause the movie and argue about the science, and have the movie offer an even more ridiculous answer five seconds later.

Subbed is definitely the way to go.

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002
Its loving stupid and i hated every character.

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008

Farm Frenzy posted:

I got high as poo poo and made it through this. It felt kinda like if a roland emerich/michael bay movie was actually literally written by a five year old instead of thousands of highly paid writers and focus groups.
This already exists and it's name is Geostorm.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

You know that scene in geostorm where there's a huge flashing monitor screaming "geostorm imminent: 59 minutes"? In this movie they have the same thing except even more amazing, where a computer tells you the whole earth will be destroyed and urges you to go home and hug your family members and tell them you love them

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I saw it with subtitles and wish I kept the corny dubbing on instead, because my eyes hurt pretty bad after two hours of simultaneously speed-reading and trying to watch the frenetically-edited shaky cam visual mess.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Oddly enough the last movie that I saw previous to watch The Wandering Earth was... Geostorm. Those two movies have a lot in common.

I seriously wonder though, what exactly is the market for science fiction movies with bad science? I get it, atsome point you have to tell a story, and it has to look good, so liberties are going to be taken somewhere. But the plot of these two movies revolve entirely around a lack of understanding of some pretty basic principles.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Most people don't understand or care about science, and screenwriters are a subset of people.

The best Venn intersection is "screenwriters who think they understand science but don't" and "actual scientists in that particular field", leading to things like the writer of The Core getting very angry indeed when the movie was critiqued by a geologist.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Simplex posted:

Oddly enough the last movie that I saw previous to watch The Wandering Earth was... Geostorm. Those two movies have a lot in common.

I seriously wonder though, what exactly is the market for science fiction movies with bad science? I get it, atsome point you have to tell a story, and it has to look good, so liberties are going to be taken somewhere. But the plot of these two movies revolve entirely around a lack of understanding of some pretty basic principles.

They’re the last two movies you saw, I think you may have found the market

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I can be pretty forgiving about scientific accuracy if the product is good on the artistic end. The film had a few interesting questions to explore about the results of being born into a culture of extreme collectivist sacrifice. The spectacle and insanity was good in some ways for me to enjoy on a popcorn level. However, it was a cinematic mess. Near the end I only had the vaguest idea of what was happening and where people were in relation to one another because the movie had zero cinematic connective tissue. It's like they didn't even storyboard it, they seemed to just shoot one scene after the next and patch them together with no regard to helping the audience make sense of the frenetic action. The only things I looked forward to seeing after a point were the space station exteriors because I could rest my eyes and enjoy an establishing shot for a change.