Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

How does Vegas even make a line for these games?

I was thinking the drat same thing. I'm looking at the odds and basically they are mostly even or a score.

Or, perhaps they invited in the best of the handicappers to judge the epicness of this football spectacle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

AAF QBs so far are completing 59% of their passes and have a 13/7 TD/INT ratio. About half of those touchdowns came in one game.

Was going to say that the running backs have 824 yards on 220 attempts, or about 3.74 ypc, but then I realized I didn't bother to look at the names to see if any of those attempts were kneel-downs or runs by other positions.

For my foggy memories of the UFL, this seems about in line with what they were doing. It's not much of a sample size and I'm not trying to make a case about anything and have no clue how this stacks up against the NFL.

Actually I wouldn't be surprised if yards-per-carry in the AAF will be low not due to any lack of running back talent, but because if you think offensive line play ok the NFL is dire, hoo boy, you should have seen the UFL. Every position group had a few guys were you could see the case for them in the NFL. Like, say, Adrian Awasom who was quick enough but had no moves, or the Sacramento RB who could juke 3 yards sideways but barely had a 2nd gear, or that CB for the Locos (Trufant, I think) who could stick to his man but was only like 5'6. I cannot think of a single offensive line player who even looked like he belonged on a practice squad.

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

Quiet Feet posted:

AAF QBs so far are completing 59% of their passes and have a 13/7 TD/INT ratio. About half of those touchdowns came in one game.

Was going to say that the running backs have 824 yards on 220 attempts, or about 3.74 ypc, but then I realized I didn't bother to look at the names to see if any of those attempts were kneel-downs or runs by other positions.

For my foggy memories of the UFL, this seems about in line with what they were doing. It's not much of a sample size and I'm not trying to make a case about anything and have no clue how this stacks up against the NFL.

Actually I wouldn't be surprised if yards-per-carry in the AAF will be low not due to any lack of running back talent, but because if you think offensive line play ok the NFL is dire, hoo boy, you should have seen the UFL. Every position group had a few guys were you could see the case for them in the NFL. Like, say, Adrian Awasom who was quick enough but had no moves, or the Sacramento RB who could juke 3 yards sideways but barely had a 2nd gear, or that CB for the Locos (Trufant, I think) who could stick to his man but was only like 5'6. I cannot think of a single offensive line player who even looked like he belonged on a practice squad.

The AAF does have some rather arcane rules about pass rushing- only 5 defensive players can rush the QB, and no corner blitzes are allowed. It looks like they want to protect their offensive linemen a little bit and give them a chance with mostly one-on-one matchups.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/02/08/marvin-lewis-quickly-pivots-to-the-broadcast-booth/

They're really breaking out the big names to call AAF games. Hotshots v Stallions this weekend will be announced by... Marvin Lewis. Joined by MJD and Dan Hellie.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Wylie posted:

The AAF does have some rather arcane rules about pass rushing- only 5 defensive players can rush the QB, and no corner blitzes are allowed. It looks like they want to protect their offensive linemen a little bit and give them a chance with mostly one-on-one matchups.

That's interesting. Limiting to only 5 rushers is also something the UFL did but I can't recall if they banned corner blitzes.

I'll also add that the product on the field was still really fun to watch. That's about the only thing the UFL did well. Granted that most of the issues came from the owners not wanting to pay anyone anything. I don't mean they were cheap, I mean they literally just did not pay their people, top to bottom.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

For the love of God put Kevin Harlan on a Memphis game.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
lol Birmingham has a $198 seat option in the "Miners Club". Good luck with that.

CAST IRON, BITCHES

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

They charge a premium because of the Memphis Express.

edit: And just to add on the nature of this game, I'm not sure why nosebleed seats are going for less than $1,000.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Go Express

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

The guy that is going to be sitting literally across the aisle from me paid $110 more than I did for his seats. Is this league insane, or have ticket prices just gotten weird at sporting events since I got old and agoraphobic?

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

GD_American posted:

The guy that is going to be sitting literally across the aisle from me paid $110 more than I did for his seats. Is this league insane, or have ticket prices just gotten weird at sporting events since I got old and agoraphobic?

Single game or "season"? Face on Ravens lower level mid-field ate $175, for reference

sharknado slashfic fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Feb 8, 2019

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Ticketing is always weird and dumb. I am taking my kids to freaking Disney on Ice in a few weeks. Within the same drat section of the arena seats range from like $25 to $125. For a few rows’ difference.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/506sports/status/1093879617621028864

do they have legal streams of the other game just in case

Ches Neckbeard posted:

After a reminder of just how badly the XFL title game went I can't wait for this poo poo show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pRFTLDtgeQ

they mocked how bad the ravens-giants super bowl was before the season

that game was even worse

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

As an Eagles/Penn St fan, uh, go Memphis, I guess?

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
drat, I don't get the Orlando game. I won't be able to watch it due to prior commitments but I'd like the option to DVR it. Wonder if they'll put the games up to watch somewhere after they end.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Vertical Lime posted:

that game was even worse

For some reason I did not put together that this was on Saturday, not Sunday, until just now.

SF v. SA for me then. Guess this is the game that determines my fandom.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Quiet Feet posted:

For some reason I did not put together that this was on Saturday, not Sunday, until just now.

SF v. SA for me then. Guess this is the game that determines my fandom.

In a couple weeks this entire dumpster fire will make sense.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Big Television already trying to kill pro football in the AL again

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Ya'll not ready for the Apollos

https://twitter.com/HollyWood_Ish13/status/1093903715550007296

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY
let's go the stallions bitch #FullSteedAhead

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Vertical Lime posted:

that game was even worse

I think the universe is giving me a sign to not be an Atlanta fan. That's fine, I was thinking San Diego as well.

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

Almost game day and I still haven't figured out my team :ohdear:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

on the bored wop posted:

Almost game day and I still haven't figured out my team :ohdear:

Don't feel bad. The league and teams haven't figured out a bunch of stuff either.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Football Outsiders analysis of the league and a quick overview of the teams:

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/ramblings/2019/aaf-season-preview

quote:

There will be a ninth official, ominously named the "Sky Judge." The Sky Judge is an off-the-field official whose job is correct clear errors involving player safety anytime during a game and pass interference inside of five minutes left in the fourth quarter. They have the ability to call or take away penalties that the on-field officials might miss, so if there's a borderline roughing the passer call -- or, say, an uncalled pass interference penalty in the conference championship game -- the Sky Judge can correct the ruling on the field.

All hail Sky Judge.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Kalli posted:

All hail Sky Judge.

quote:

Every team gets territorial rights to players from their region, but none are likely to get as many snaps out of one school as the Fleet should from San Diego State; there are seven ex-Aztecs on the 52-man roster.

Oh.

Oh my.

:allears:

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Who all has been to the Alamodome? On the inside it's the ugliest dome on earth. The outside isn't great either, but it's at least kind of novel with the support cables and all.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
FSU has 7 on the Apollos roster. UF has 8.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Kalli posted:

All hail Sky Judge.

On Monday the XFL will announce the Flying Spaghetti Monster reviewing calls.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Wait a drat minute, Spurrier is coaching the Apollos? I'm switching teams to Florida.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
how do I choose a team for this trash league? I only know how to be a fan of teams I was raised to be a fan of.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Ches Neckbeard posted:

how do I choose a team for this trash league? I only know how to be a fan of teams I was raised to be a fan of.

Pick a former USFL-only city

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Just pick one.

If you are a giant baby and cant make a simple choice, pick the team that's affiliated with your NFL team. In your case that's Birmingham

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Just give Birmingham the trophy already

quote:

HOOVER, Ala. (WKRG) -- Lawrence Okoye, a defensive tackle for the AAF team Birmingham Iron, was arrested Wednesday in a prostitution sting. That's according to the Shelby County Drug Enforcement Task Force.

In a Facebook post, the Task Force says they partnered with Hoover Police in an undercover prostitution sting, called Operation Close Out, Round 3, on Wednesday. The sting resulted in the arrest of 13 people for soliciting prositution.

One of those people is Lawrence Okoye, a British-born football player currently on the roster for the Iron. He was booked into the Shelby County jail, where he was released on a $1,000 bond.

The Birmingham Iron is one of the eight inaugural teams in the Alliance of American Football, a new professional football league that plays during the spring and summer.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Print the banners

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

GD_American posted:

Just give Birmingham the trophy already

#ForgeOn

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Memphis gonna run a plane on Birmingham qtiyd

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Can't Stack The Hack

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

It really will be something when on Sunday afternoon this great nation comes to a standstill to watch greatness. Stores will be vacated and the roads empty. Perhaps one can hear a baby cry in the distance or a sign of wildlife. This profound greatness comes in the form of the Memphis Express.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

So I was kinda wondering how they were going to handle the problem that OL talent / coaching is so thin and D-tier OL have no chance against D-tier pass rushers, and uh... man that rulebook

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Put'em in skirts league!

At a certain point, just get rid of pass rushing.