Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

StashAugustine posted:

Side note I've always found it funny that "incel" was coined by a lesbian in rural Canada who didn't like the the math on population density around her

didn't know anything about the history of the term, it's pretty lol. Sounds like she was in Ottawa when she created the site, though?

https://www.elle.com/culture/news/a34512/woman-who-started-incel-movement/

quote:

"I was trying to create a movement that was open to anybody and everybody," says Alana, now a 43-year-old management consultant and artist from Toronto. In 1993, she was finishing an undergraduate degree in statistics at Carleton University in Ottawa, and she'd never had sex or anything close to a boyfriend.

her problem may have been her goonishness. many such cases.

quote:

Sometimes she blamed her appearance: short, slightly overweight, eczema splotches. Often she felt like she'd passed through adolescence without learning the unspoken rules of a complex game that everyone else understood intuitively.

https://web.archive.org/web/20180830080840/https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-45284455

quote:

Alana abbreviated "involuntarily celibate" to "invcel", until someone suggested that "incel" was easier to say.

quote:

By 2000, Alana was moving away from the community, satisfied that it would continue without her.

"I didn't notice what was going on because I wasn't paying attention. My dating life was going OK (Ed.: !!!!). I didn't want to think about my history as a late bloomer."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I'm loving terrified of the future and that I might be horribly murdered by some fascist, possibly turned in by my own family. I have no support network who will keep me safe, I don't know which country to run to, all I see in the future is darkness.

Hope everyone's day is going well.

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

one of my friends texted me this afternoon about some dumb candy we used to like and it was a small thing but really nice to talk for 2 minutes. feel like i've been too shy and withdrawn from lots of my old friends. i always worry that im going to be interrupting peoples lives when i try to call or write to them. need to try to mend some of those broken connections and get back to people and just be better vibes irl.

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
On forums and when it comes to contacting people you want to talk to, :justpost:

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I've been going to a local game store to play D&D (no worries, not a penny of what we use went to WOTC!) with some of the local folks, and it's been pretty fun.

The folks there are people I've seen around town, but to look at them you wouldn't know they'd be into TTRPG's, and I've made friends with a bunch of them, though I am deathly afraid of getting to know them better for fear of their politics; thankfully, it's never come up, and I'm not going to do anything to change that. Either way, it's nice to have something to look forward to on the weekends, and I'm even writing a homebrew campaign because I've always wanted to try and because the current campaign has 8-11 players(!!!) and this is one time where we desperately need to split the party.

It also gave me the opportunity to sneak Detective Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau into the setting under the alias "Bill Crump".

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
It's good to get to know people through hobbies! Nice job.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Yeah I found a scifi book club in town and it's been great just to have an outlet to go have a beer and ramble about random 70s pulp I read once

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
starting full time school again tomorrow and have an interview for a part time job on Wednesday . things are looking up

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

limp dick calvin posted:

starting full time school again tomorrow and have an interview for a part time job on Wednesday . things are looking up

Hell yeah good luck! I found spending some time off going a little crazy was actually very helpful when I went back to college

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

StashAugustine posted:

Yeah I found a scifi book club in town and it's been great just to have an outlet to go have a beer and ramble about random 70s pulp I read once

hmm that sounds like it owns bigly

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

StashAugustine posted:

Hell yeah good luck! I found spending some time off going a little crazy was actually very helpful when I went back to college

I’m excited to start again, I’m doing a certificate program for graphic design. I already have a marketing degree so I’m hoping I’ll be be happier specializing

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Lol yesterday marked ten years since I last self harmed and tried to kill myself and I spent it with my girlfriend being very happy and I didn't even realize the date until this morning. I think I've come a long way since then. Don't even really get worked up thinking about it.

Friday however is ten years since my dad died so that's gonna be a fun hill to get over. Already not looking forward to that

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Spaced God posted:

Lol yesterday marked ten years since I last self harmed and tried to kill myself and I spent it with my girlfriend being very happy and I didn't even realize the date until this morning. I think I've come a long way since then. Don't even really get worked up thinking about it.

Friday however is ten years since my dad died so that's gonna be a fun hill to get over. Already not looking forward to that

just personal experience, but I've found that the anticipation of those big dreaded milestone dates to be worse than the actual date. once it's actually here, it feels like a relief to get it over.

glad you're doing well!

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Spaced God posted:

You know things are getting better when it being the anniversary of something horrible doesn't cross your mind.

I'm sorry about the loss of your father, and while you'll never forget, I hope this pain, too, will ease away.

Witeldram
Feb 22, 2022

I'm going to try to be more active on this thread again. I haven't really been posting since last March but I found it really helpful to talk here. One of my New Year's Resolutions anyway is to try to be more proactive about my mental health. I've finally been job searching again and have been catastrophizing over a first round job interview this Monday. I haven't had to do a job interview in over a year so I'm stressed (also I am now second-guessing whether or not I even want the job now lol). I guess the worst-case scenario is that I don't get the job, but at least I get some interviewing experience done? At least that's what I'm telling myself.

Spaced God posted:

I'm glad to know that you're in a better place now.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Good luck! And yeah trying to look at everything as a learning experience is a good coping mechanism in itself, never mind actually learning things!

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
My hosed up thing is that for me, the worst thing would be getting the job

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Spaced God posted:

Congratu-loving-lations. Holy poo poo, that's a hell of a better place to be on a 10 year anniversary.

Witeldram
Feb 22, 2022

Jorge Bell posted:

My hosed up thing is that for me, the worst thing would be getting the job

It's weird for me: I get easily anxious about how uncertain life can be without a job, but I also get very anxious when I do get a new job.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

im naturally an anxious mess when im unmedicated, but jobs and interviews for them have always been a breeze even before medication, mostly because i treat them all like "these fuckers would be lucky to have me" because they really are lucky to have me. i know i learn quickly and get all my poo poo done without prodding, so bing, bang, boom, kiss my rear end, bosses!

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
similar with me, except I then start to burn out around 6 months and useless around a year and have a meltdown if I stick around longer than that. The idea of getting another job for me is similar to thinking of putting one's hand back on a hot stove after being burned a dozen times after touching it while everyone yells at you to keep touching the stove.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Reflecting on how it's kinda funny that personally I'm a peacemaker who's always trying to get people to understand each other and fond common ground, and then you ask what my actual opinions are and it's like well I'm a moderate in that I think Lenin did make a few mistakes

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I can act like a (somewhat anxious) adult at work and with others yet with my family I'm reduced to a child who has to yell to get his point across that makes me sound even worse. it's like a feedback loop: they treat me like a child, I either do what they want or yell, and they keep treating me like a child. How do I break the Cycle?

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

stop seeing your family

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

StashAugustine posted:

Reflecting on how it's kinda funny that personally I'm a peacemaker who's always trying to get people to understand each other and fond common ground, and then you ask what my actual opinions are and it's like well I'm a moderate in that I think Lenin did make a few mistakes

I wouldn't worry about it until you become one of those contrarians that think assad is a cool dude for owning the libs or you turn into a gonzaloist or whatever. Posadism might be alright as lots of people love to talk about UFOs and dolphins.

Ronwayne has issued a correction as of 09:20 on Jan 22, 2024

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

gently caress it

an egg has issued a correction as of 03:27 on Jan 25, 2024

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Regarding _____ Anonymous groups, it depends heavily on the people in the specific group.

It can't hurt to try either way. And (if my understanding is correct) Al-Anon is for people who know alcoholics/addicts, so it might be less of an issue there since less will be required of you personally.

Ytlaya has issued a correction as of 08:27 on Jan 25, 2024

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

thank you, ytlaya

life is exhausting

an egg has issued a correction as of 03:53 on Jan 25, 2024

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I FINALLY GOT MY FUKKEN ADDERALL PRESCRIPTION RENEWED! Sure, I had to get grilled by a lady who obviously thought I was a junkie trying to get a fix, and I had to give a piss test (which they claimed I tested positive for THC despite the fact I haven't had an edible for months), but I got a prescription for a month of rapid release generic Adderall!

I don't know if it's the placebo effect, but I haven't felt this awake and focused in ages! I not only got through a day of work more or less stress free, but I even managed to work on my D&D campaign on my downtime!

The healthcare system sucks and the world is on fire in every meaning of the word, but sometimes things just work.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Well, last night basically confirmed that drinking beer every night was loving with me, since yesterday was my first (of a planned "forever outside of possibly rare social functions") day without any in ages and I slept really poorly last night. The past few nights I was only having a single can of a 4% beer every night, but apparently that was enough to stave off whatever caused my sleep to be disrupted.

I feel really nice this morning, though! That's the main thing that motivated me to stop. Morning through early afternoon used to be my favorite part of the day, and the alcohol messed that up and instead made me feel vaguely restless until my evening beer.

Screaming Idiot posted:

I FINALLY GOT MY FUKKEN ADDERALL PRESCRIPTION RENEWED! Sure, I had to get grilled by a lady who obviously thought I was a junkie trying to get a fix, and I had to give a piss test (which they claimed I tested positive for THC despite the fact I haven't had an edible for months), but I got a prescription for a month of rapid release generic Adderall!

I don't know if it's the placebo effect, but I haven't felt this awake and focused in ages! I not only got through a day of work more or less stress free, but I even managed to work on my D&D campaign on my downtime!

Adderall makes most people feel really awake/focused (because it's a stimulant - like super-coffee or something). It's why it has a reputation as "the thing college students take to study for exams." I think the only people who don't get that way are people (mainly children maybe?) with ADHD (emphasis on the H part). I remember when my aunt/grandma/cousin decided to have me try some of my cousin's Ritalin (which is basically the same sort of medication as Adderall) back when I was in college, and I was like "other people feel like this all the time?!" (they don't lol)

Tbh I wish I had kept getting my prescription back when I was prescribed it (I had it, and later Adderall, prescribed to me soon after I tried it), since it did help immensely. I don't try to get it prescribed now just because the "people thinking you're a junkie trying to get a fix" factor increases drastically when you're on suboxone and have an actual history of substance abuse.

(just to be real clear, this post isn't meant to sound critical in any way; I think it's great that you managed to finally get a prescription and think that stuff like this should be made more easily available to people. Many people seem to think that people feeling "really awake/focused" from stimulant ADD meds means "they don't have ADD," but I think there are just different types and many people still need/benefit from the stimulant effects)

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

yeah waking up in the morning and not feeling super dried out and terrible even if you slept kinda crappy is really nice

stuff that helped me quit drinking in 2021/2022

1-smoke more weed
2-stopped feeling safe where i was buying alcohol (threatened for wearing a mask, stupid but it made me not want to go in there anymore)
3-ran out of money
4-got very sick w covid so weed and alcohol made me feel even worse (confused, dizzy, scared) took like a year but weed's okay now sometimes a little overwhelming. i had one beer a while ago and it made me feel terrible, probably some sort of liver damage so it cant process correctly

i don't recommend any of those except maybe #1 and only if you feel like it is improving you mentally and not contributing to negative thoughts. i was also having stomach/chest pains that doctors couldn't find the cause of that eventually faded after not drinking for a while. i think the important thing is to interrupt the routines you fall into drinking every day and try to focus on something else that is less harmful like food/pets/books/exercise/whatever

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I hosed up making appetizers for a party and it's bumming me out more than I should

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Ytlaya posted:

Adderall makes most people feel really awake/focused (because it's a stimulant - like super-coffee or something). It's why it has a reputation as "the thing college students take to study for exams." I think the only people who don't get that way are people (mainly children maybe?) with ADHD (emphasis on the H part). I remember when my aunt/grandma/cousin decided to have me try some of my cousin's Ritalin (which is basically the same sort of medication as Adderall) back when I was in college, and I was like "other people feel like this all the time?!" (they don't lol)

Tbh I wish I had kept getting my prescription back when I was prescribed it (I had it, and later Adderall, prescribed to me soon after I tried it), since it did help immensely. I don't try to get it prescribed now just because the "people thinking you're a junkie trying to get a fix" factor increases drastically when you're on suboxone and have an actual history of substance abuse.

(just to be real clear, this post isn't meant to sound critical in any way; I think it's great that you managed to finally get a prescription and think that stuff like this should be made more easily available to people. Many people seem to think that people feeling "really awake/focused" from stimulant ADD meds means "they don't have ADD," but I think there are just different types and many people still need/benefit from the stimulant effects)

I don't mean hyperactive -- I mean just active. I could finish complete sentences, keep from going on tangents, and speak without stuttering or repeating myself. I'm not climbing the walls, I'm just clocking in to work and making it throughout the entire day without taking an hour-long "FMLA" break where I spend the entire time pacing around the apartment hyperventilating and berating myself for not being able to force myself to function like a normal human being.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Screaming Idiot posted:

I don't mean hyperactive -- I mean just active. I could finish complete sentences, keep from going on tangents, and speak without stuttering or repeating myself. I'm not climbing the walls, I'm just clocking in to work and making it throughout the entire day without taking an hour-long "FMLA" break where I spend the entire time pacing around the apartment hyperventilating and berating myself for not being able to force myself to function like a normal human being.

I think some people (including me and seemingly you) have something wrong about the way our brains produce/use dopamine (which is basically the neurotransmitter that makes it easier and more pleasant/rewarding to focus on things). That's what adderall/ritalin/etc affect (since they're dopamine reuptake inhibitors).

Stimulant meds like Adderall or Ritalin basically affect us the same as anyone else (jack up dopamine levels, basically making "doing things" feel easier and more pleasant), but we need the effects more because it's basically impossible to function otherwise.

The effect is different on some ADHD people like my cousin, though. He actively dislikes taking his Ritalin because it makes him feel "flat" and like a zombie. So there's obviously something very different going on with that particular variety of ADD, since dopamine reuptake inhibitor meds like Adderall/Ritalin seemingly affect them very differently.

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
This poo poo (being alive) is tough!!!

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Jorge Bell posted:

This poo poo (being alive) is tough!!!

I thought it would get easier!

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS