Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
hello mentally ill buddies, i'm poster kurtofan and i have social anxiety

it sucks, i'm doing a therapy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I spent all day in bed

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Its more the norm for me

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I went to a picnic the other day, it was good

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Goon Danton posted:

Hell yeah, this is the stuff to focus on. Going outside can be really fun, even when it's hard to do.

yeah i mean i do more stuff but i still feel bad for not doing enough and also talking to people is still hard but i'm trying

i met some cool people lately, i don't feel acquainted enough yet to build a good rapport but i guess it takes time

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
anyone else here has social anxiety/phobia

i feel like anything i do or say is not worth anyone's time, is that what you feel as well

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
lol it's called SAD in English, are you people for real

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Im SAD

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Goon Danton posted:

We have more :sad: than you can handle buddy! A quick glance at Wikipedia gives Social Anxiety Disorder, Seasonal Affective Disorder, Separation Anxiety Disorder, and Schizoaffective Disorder.

first one i think

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i don't think these things necessarily go together, i am a bit of a narcissist, and rather imagine that i am debasing myself speaking to this random person (slightly overstated to make the case), but i still struggle badly to buy a stamp or attend a social event.

just to note that the cause-and-effect implied by your post does not necessarily hold. we could be a bit broken for different reasons entirely, but if you started out similar to me the worthlessness might just be bad rationalization.

either way, i don't know anything for sure except that this is a legitimate problem that you'd (we'd) do well to get some help on.

I mean its what my doctors told me (the social anxiety thing), maybe they're wrong. I'm just trying to explain why I behave in a way where i avoid people

Maybe I am narcissistic too, nobody ever told me so tho

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I dont want to self diagnose honestly, im kind of afraid to fall in that rabbit hole
Being narcissistic seems like a scary idea for me, id rather be someone who avoids talking to people because of fear rather than someone who avoids talking to people because of feeling these people are a loving waste of time.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Sometimes i feel that way tho, i think there's no point in talking to someone because it's not going to go anywhere worth both our times.
Or maybe its just another rationalisation.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I know when I want to talk to someone i tell myself things like : they're busy, ill bother them, i have nothing to say worth saying, i am not worth the time, itll suck and ill be shot down.
When someone talks to me, its weird, i dont really feel like talking then, not sure why. Like i dont really know what to say. Maybe its surprise, uncomfortableness

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I'm sorry if i expressed negative comments about narcissisitc people, we all have our problems and yours are not lower than mine... I'm just scared at the idea I/my doctors got it wrong after several consults these last few years. Starting back from zero is quite dreadful

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Right now i'm in between doctors, i should see a new one in a few months

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Goon Danton posted:

That doesn't sound like narcissism. That sounds like social anxiety.

Also FYI narcissism is a really specific thing psychologically (narcissistic personality disorder), and wanting to avoid people and getting self conscious are basically the opposite of it. It's literally illegal for a shrink to say it, but Trump is a really textbook case of npd if you're curious what it looks like.

Ah thanks.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

sorry, phrasing myself badly i confused matters: obvisouly we are not fundamentally the same; we are at minimum at opposite ends of the same thing, i just tried to express that social anxiety is prevalent in a lot of very different people. the idea being that it'd be a mistake tying issues together too quick.

sorry if i was very unhelpful, this is a very tricky area and i don't even at the best of times express myself well.

No worries, I'm not the best one to express myself in these issues either.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I feel like i dont deservr happiness

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Thanks

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I suck, there was somethijg planned by this association i go to today and i didnt go, this kimd of poo poo sucks

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I really need a new therapist

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
i feel like nauseous all the time, this sucks (not food or health related)

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Too many things to do feeling anxiety big time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
ugh sleeping all day, i feel so useless.