Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Dreddout posted:

This is what I tell every Subway employee I meet

we mostly do, yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Consummate Professional posted:

thanks for talking to me and asking some good questions. I've really lost "liking" things as I've just stayed drunk all the time. I guess I like to solve problems so puzzles may be something I haven't considered. legos are kinda fun but annoy me a lot during the process.

Gonna second the board game rec here if you like logic puzzles. Most game stores have a small community attached even if its just Magic and when I was in a real bad place having a group to play Netrunner with weekly helped just by getting out of the house and thinking about things that weren't bad. Might even check the TG boardgoon thread and see if there's people near you

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I was having bad social anxiety about a dinner tonight but then I got really mad on thr interntet and feel better. Is that self medication?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

turn off the TV posted:

im pretty sure that I'm going to commit suicide in about a month and i have to say it's really hurting my motivation to clean my shower

don't do that regardless of whether or not your shower is clean

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Ugh i have finals this week and I can't bring myself to do anything

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Welp I couldn't find an internship over the summer but a professor said he could get me some work helping with PhD research. Turns out he meant unpaid volunteer work lol

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

No shame in it if there's no other option, if people can give you money that's their business

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Venom Snake posted:

Depression has gotten extremely bad lately sapping me of my motivation after it turned out I can't get an internship for the summer because not only is my GPA (2.875) too low for most but I have no experience in my field yet (my resume is almost all political stuff). Everyone i talk to either says I shouldn't care or that I'm completely hosed because i waited until i was 23 to get serious about my field outside of politics.

has left me feeling p hopeless, because the things holding me back the most are the choice I made in the past i can't undo, and iv got no idea how to get out of this pit/catch 22. i get at least B's in all my engineering classes, but my GPA will always be poo poo from me loving up my freshman year

i also did something similar to this, and i also got absurdly lucky, but maybe try talking to all the professors you had (and maybe those you haven't) and see if maybe they have research over the summer? i managed to get a job just fiddling with side projects grad students didn't want to do. like i said this was lucky as hell and it pays like poo poo but it's worth a shot at least

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Venom Snake posted:

Thats a good suggestion, rn I'm just trying to convince myself not to have a meltdown because I started this summer semester by getting a 10/100 on my first diff eq exam.

ouch. diffeq was where i flunked out the first time. dad finally managed to explain it to me but i just went back for technology which ends at calc 2 lol

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Chokes McGee posted:

differential equations made my head hurt. numeric theory made my head hurt. pretty much all of it was for a career as an industrial engineer or statistician and either one was ew.

IE would be cool if you use it for the purpose of making people's work easier instead of making people work more, but lol capitalism. Frank Gilbreth, one of the inventors of time& motion study, would walk into factories and ask to see the laziest guy they had on the grounds that he would be doing the least wasted motion.

Also VS, since my last post was a little depressing I do want to say as someone that's flunked out twice that as long as you can pay for it and you don't give up, you can push your way through. i had to change majors but it was still something I wanted to do, and if you keep slogging on you can make it out eventually. With diffeq in particular is it a conceptual problem or an execution one? This sort of thing if you don't know what the math represents youve got problems

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Venom Snake posted:

Nothing makes me happier than when someone asks me for advice or help with something, or a favor that my skillset is good for. So it does feel worth it, just feels like a struggle when you have days like today where a professor straight up tells you "You need to get over your disability and nobody at this university will or should entertain requests for working one on one going through problems like you asked" which is obvious loving bullshit, I had literally just come from a meeting with a different professor who've iv been working with 1 on 1 the entire semester.

From what ive heard about the average IE's opinion of unions, they need more raving communists to set them right. Hang in there

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Frog Act posted:

was supposed to go to a pub trivia with a friend tonight but he canceled on me. that means in a month I’ve only spent an hour and a half with friends, and besides two failed dates, have had literally no non-work social experiences. what a loving bummer.

maybe I should just get really into science fiction or something until being isolated doesn’t bother me any more

I cant really recommend it as a replacement for human interaction but reading is at least a better than many alternatives

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

The Dispossessed is a classic of anarcho communism; Roadside Picnic (novella) is melancholic but has a message about struggling through it; Iain Banks' Culture series is probably goos but I havent started it yet, Altered Carbon and sequels border on 3edgy5me territory but there's some cool stuff

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Venom Snake posted:

Iv been trying to take advantage of resources as much as I can. But sometimes it feels like it doesn't matter, and sometimes I just want to hurt myself because well

I failed another Diff Eq test, which means i can't actually pass the class anymore. I walked out of the test feeling confident then I did well and nope! I got a 60! And the absolute WORST part? i know it'll be because i missed something dumb, like I just didn't study enough. Like I just gets these thoughts that I should punish myself or something, that i need to just study more, but idk how to study more and i don't know how to force myself to just do 1000 problems. On top of that I got really high a few nights ago, and the next day I actually felt really good, and for the first time didn't feel like someone was holding a gun to the back of my head. So i'm going to try adn get a green card, my parents are skeptical, but it felt so incredible to night feel like poo poo all day.

Im sorry i use this as my rant/vent space. things are just not going well, and i feel like everything is my fault and i don't deserve to be happy. have a pic of our new cats (which are one good new thing at least)

Its cool, struggling in school sucks and it always helps to have somewhere to vent

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I noticed on facebook an old friend id gotten out of touch with moved back to a city near me and I want to get in touch with them but my brain is acting up

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

So yesterday I posted about wanting to get back in touch with an old friend, but then i start freaking out about how it's be weird to talk to someone after having only a bit of contact for several years. Now I kind of don't give a shot about it either way and I can't tell if it was stupid to begin with, if I don't care about being in touch with people, or both

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Frog Act posted:

people are usually happy to hear from old friends, it’s often good to think about how you would feel if they got in touch out of the blue - probably fine, or better than fine, because it’s pretty common and not weird for adults to have friendships like that imo

Thanks, thats actually a big help. I always freak out about this sort of thing and hopefully I can think about it in a healthier way.

CelticPredator posted:

I’ve done that twice for two different friends in the past few months. haven’t heard anything back.

that, coupled with just complete silence from my other friends has put me in a dark place.

I don’t know.

I know this isn't a great long term thing but whats worked for me being really bad at holding friendships together is having some sort of regular thing you do. I'm lucky enough that ive got a small group that meets up same bar, same time every week so I can socialize but theres other things you can try- if youre into it board games are a good thing if you just need to do something with people, volunteering is nice, maybe see if there's any outdoor groups or something. From experience you'll probably still have weird social anxieties but its much, much better to have anyone to talk to than just cooking your brain by yourself

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

CODChimera posted:

Also has anyone moved back home and it ended up being a good choice? I'm debating it but a bit worried that there won't be any recovery and then i'm just living at home and hosed...

I did while sorting out college amd it worked pretty well but I have a good relationship with my parents and had a plan to get through college so ymmv

SunAndSpring posted:

Just feel worthless. I really wish he hadn’t bothered to dump me. What’s even the point, it certainly doesn’t make me feel happy and I doubt he feels great about it either.

Tbh I don't really know what to say that can help but you're a decent person and I hope you pull through here

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Everyone deserves happiness

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

"Happiness for everyone, free of cost, and no-one to be left behind!"

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Lol I have a deadline in 48 hours for work and now it turns out my computers gonna be needed elsewhere for 12 of them

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Venom Snake posted:

iv got my diff eq final today, between new meds and weed iv been doing a lot better. iv passed dynamics and the professor was so impressed by my efforts he wants to work with me more in the future AND he wants to get a grant to start teaching dynamics classes specifically for people with learning disabilities like me.

hopefully the diff eq final goes well, but even if it doesn't I survived this summer :unsmith:

Grats man, keep on going

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Àaaaaa I have my interview in three hours im screaming

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmHeP9Sve48

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

So I'm about to start a new semester in year 8 of undergrad and while I'm still having some trouble in making a lot of progress and should be on track to graduate. The one serious problem in having is that I oversleep really badly. I've done ok so far since ive been living at home so someone can knock on my door if I'm late but in moving out in, uh, under 48 hours and I have to actually drag my rear end out of bed now. I tend to stay up too late and then snooze alarms- probably gonna actually get an alarm clock and put it out of reach. Anyone have tips for helping?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I have similar issues with obsessing over relationships or stressful events and while i too would like a long term solution I have found that repeating some sort of mantra may help break it in the short term and then you can start thinking of something else. if you've ever read William Gibson's Pattern Recognition I keep saying "he took a duck to the face at 250 knots" until it clears up enough I can start thinking about work or videogames or exactly why John Locke was a shithead- anything that isnt unhealthy. This is entirely a personal thing so 100% YMMV on this

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

When you holler into the void the void hollers into you

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Having a concrete goal is a help at any stage of life; and I am at least marginally less stupid at 26 than 18

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

welp i forgot and missed a meeting at work today, and one of my coworkers was casually "so it doesn't seem like you've been getting a lot done recently" and now im going to be freaking out about it

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Not sure burning down the university I also go to is a good idea but I could use some robots around the house.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

A Big Fuckin Hornet posted:

Ha my first unread post after getting out of the hospital. poo poo is rough. Currently hitchhiking from Charlotte to SE Michigan with relatively little money. Any bored goons in the Winston Salem area feel like a road trip lol. Things are desperate enough that I'm only half joking.

No idea what I'm going to do when I get there anyways, convince my mom to let me stay with her in Detroit I guess. Being a homeless transient sucks rear end lol.

Hey glad you're keeping on, man

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Goon Danton posted:

Oh yeah, I got engaged btw :buddy:

Goongrats

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

poo poo that reminds me there's a big jobs fair this week on top of all the other poo poo I have to do

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Turtlicious posted:

I'm so hosed up about this because it not only feels like I failed myself but everyone who believes in me, my partner is paying my way through school and I feel like I'm failing her.

Hey I just wanna call this out because this is basically how I felt about five years ago when I was failing out of school. But I'm now back in school and doing a hell of a lot better with only a slight change in major. Getting really worked up about how absolutely hosed you are and how nothing will be better and youve let everyone down is not healthy and also not very true. I would recommend having a serious talk with your partner about finances- and try not to get too worked up about it, its her money and if she wants to help you with it thats her business, especially if you are actually working hard. Then I'd probably find a teacher you liked and talk to them about careers and what you can do. If your goal is to be a climate scientist specifially may be there is other ways you can approach it, and even if you stick with it you can learn to minimize the parts you're not good at. Also honestly sometimes it just takes a while or a good teacher- I finally more or less get how circuit analysis works after flunking it three loving times

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

For context when I was at the communiry college in between I was goofing off online and missed the last bus home at like 9pm. I was so angry with myself for making my parents pick me up that I called home and said I'd be walking back the full 20 miles or something. (They came and got me anyway) Its honestly good for you that you've adopted that stance over unearned self assurance but both are ultimately self destructive. It causes you to do all sorts of extremely stupid things because you really aren't thinking straight.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

hey does anyone have advice on how to handle low-key stress? i havent had real panic attacks in years and i can generally deal with short burst of anxiety like before a job interview or something, but i've been having long-term problems with just simmering anxiety including a bit of an elevated heart rate and a vague sense of dread, which sucks for trying to actually get work done

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Ugh I've had a headache for the past 14 hours now

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Chokes McGee posted:

sup migraine buddy

Yeah probably. Ive never had a headache this long before and its not as serious or accompanied by some other symptoms but its still really lovely, especially since I have way too much stuff to do today. Woke me up at 3am when it got really bad but its just sort of a dull pressure nos

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Eat This Glob posted:

she aged into boomerhood pretty hard, unfortunately

God made CSPAM to train the faithful

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Was gonna have people over for a board game night this saturday but now I'm coming down with a cold :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

PsychedelicWarlord posted:

having sadbrains because I got engaged on this night a year ago and now one year later, I live alone in a studio apartment and my social activity extends to going to trivia once a week. I don't really know why I am venting into the void here, since my therapist said that I have good adaptive coping skills and that I am doing well post-my life imploding. But four months after I still have some bad days and this is one.

Good to hear you're doing all right generally and feel free to scream into the void whenever it helps