Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I've had hella anxiety since getting my first job after college and I finally figured out the reason: I literally never stopped working on classwork during my four years of college and now I have a 9 to 5 where I don't have to work even a fraction as hard to get things done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I was laid off from my job in 2020 and am now virtually disabled and living with my aging parents. I greet every day with a warm smile knowing the world is going to find a new way to hurt and demean me each day.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

No. 6 posted:

That sounds rough. How is the environment with the parents? Is that a positive, negative, or neutral force for you?
It depends on whatever my ptsd decides is real today

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I am seeing a therapist but it seems that they're ability to helpbme materially limited and i cant loving compartmebtalize my pain into tidy once a week sessions. I already had a five day ptsd attack because how humid it is here. My parents didnt even have ac in this house until i started having waking flashbacks that made me start screaming and throwing thing

SardonicTyrant has issued a correction as of 18:48 on Jul 10, 2023

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

No. 6 posted:

It's hard for me to wait a week to discuss what's emotionally overwhelming me at that moment. What kind of coping or avoidance do you usually find for yourself?

I usually just cry and scream and make noise because i am far past the point of coping skills helping me.

I also listen to musicals

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I am well aware that i am trapped in a negativr thought cycle and that i am hurting my parents and my girlfriend wheni am like this. I just have no way to escape it anymore. I've lost the ability to cate for myself

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I would if i knew i wouldnt cstch covud from the unmasked staff.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Jorge Bell posted:

Do you know the staff at your local inpatient clinic doesn't wear masks? Your response reads more like a reactionary dismissal than a genuine concern about catching COVID.

That is a stupid question to ask in 2023

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Jorge Bell posted:

You could have said "I assume the answer is no so I'm not even going to look into it" but chose to brush it off. Reactively disqualifying care options is part of going through poo poo sometimes. It might be helpful for you to critically examine that.

Um, sorry for snapping yesterday, i was in a ptsd attack all day. Gf is trying to take care of me today. I'll try to pursue some of the stuff people posted later

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Josherino posted:

Oof.

Let’s be a little mindful of the zest.

K thx.
i am sorry about yesterday.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

skooma512 posted:

But otherwise yeah, I acknowledge my paragraphs were full of spiraling crazy. I understand on a logical level that they're irrational, but knowing they're irrational doesn't make the feelings stop.
When it happens to me it's like hearing the scare chord to a horror movie even if I'm doing something mundane like eating in my room.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Jorge Bell posted:

Dad died, time for bed lol
Try to grab some takeout if you can, I'm gonna take a guess you're starting to run on adrenaline and when that leaves your system you're gonna crash hard, so have some food on hand. I usually get mcdonalds when that happens, it's not that great so it's easier to wolf it down without my lack of appetite complaining

SardonicTyrant has issued a correction as of 20:42 on Jul 20, 2023

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

My girlfriend has been having bad night terrors and waking flashbacks recently. It's so hard making sure she eats and takes care of herself.because she will forget and i don't have the executive action to remind her all the time. Right now she is starving and i cant convince her to spend some of our remaininf cash to order some breakfast for delivery.

So i'm just hanging out in another room mentally preparing for another day of sheer unpredictability. Poverty is an awful state to be in

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I feel like i am making a lot of progress on my part, but i dont live in a vacuum. My parents are miserable in their own way and my girlfriend's mood is wildly unstable. It doesn't matter if i feel i've felt accomplished one day becsuse there's no stability in my life from one day to the next.

Siiigh.

And the thing is, i understand the real answer to resolving this is stable housing and a steady income but you know, capitalism likes to gatekeep those and we are not well enough to figure out the sphinxes's riddle to employment

SardonicTyrant has issued a correction as of 13:22 on Jul 31, 2023

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I dont know if i can believe that right now but i'll keep an open mind. Best i can do for now

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Girlfriend is feeling a bit better. This hurts so much. I'm the only one of us who can semi-reliably cook, and even then maybe a meal or two and then the rest of the night is takeout. And if I can't cook atm, then neither of us eats, simple as that, until either I find the energy somewhere in me or someone donates us enough money to order something. My parents have been helping paying for some basics but I can never put together a list because I'm holding back the hoover dam's worth of emotional anguish at any time and that makes conversation difficult.

Thing is I don't feel like I'm spiraling right now. I know I'm pouring out a lot of emotion in this post but I don't feel overwhelmed by it.

On the upside, having a guitar to stream helps to relax me, and I've been looking into yoga, which is honestly really interesting as both a form of exercise and mindfullness as well as a historic tradition.

SardonicTyrant has issued a correction as of 16:00 on Jul 31, 2023

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Gravid Topiary posted:

refried beans (canned are fine) and tortillas (packaged are fine) and the thickest salsa you can find is my zero effort meal when i'm in a bad way mentally and don't want to eat let alone cook

basically huevos rancheros without the sometimes insurmountable and horrifying prospect of having to crack some eggs and heat a pan

edit: you don't even need a plate or utensils, you can eat it laying in bed, all you need is a can opener or tbh a pocket knife opens cans fine, just don't do that in bed, roll over and put the can on the floor so you don't cut an artery and the EMS guys will laugh at how stupid you died and that you have bad taste in wall-scrolls
I might have a bean allergy, but I've got another idea for a zero effort meal I think could work.

Also nothing wrong with my wall-scrolls, more people should be watching Redline.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

That's rough to deal with skooma. When I invited my mom to my apartment a few times she immediately set about cleaning everything against my feeble protests. I felt so ashamed that the next time my dad came over I asked him to take a hotel because I was so deeply ashamed of how 'messy' our place was. He took that very very personally and basically stopped talking to me for years.

It was world-shaking when my girlfriend moved in with me and how utterly easy and unstressful it was to have her existing in the same space as me (because my girlfriend is cool and good).

SardonicTyrant has issued a correction as of 19:17 on Aug 14, 2023

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Ice Phisherman posted:

have you ever thought for a single second about your parents needs and their needs alone, to the total exclusion of your own sanity and happiness

how selfish of you

you're actually marrying someone you love and want to go elsewhere

what is wrong with you

dont you know that for the crime of being born youve earned mutliple life sentences

your moms and dads specifically

how dare you sir

how dare you
This is not a good post to make in the mental health thread.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

all good, I might've been a bit snippy about it.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Um, are there any vets in this thread? If we were to explain how our ptsd affects as in terms of, like, being in a room and not realizing your safety is off and and you didn't clear the chamber, would that make sense, that feeling? I'm not a vet, but when I'm focused on something and someone tries to grab my attention I tend to snap at them and only realize I only wanted to ask them to stop after the fact.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Consummate Professional posted:

hello, vet here. I’m not sure I empathize with this exact scenario as my stuff was always supposed to be chambered and safety off.

but I suppose it all goes back to how much control you have over a situation and it seems like someone grabbing your focus feels like a big loss of control?
I guess it's like, all my life I've always been careful to watch what I say, because I have a very sharp tongue and an short fuse sometimes, and I've always had to keep it in check unless I slip and start putting someone down. And nowadays I'm just so overworked mentally I'm actually forgetting how overworked I feel, and my brain is responding by forgetting to do all the mental safety checks I used to before being around family and I only realize it after snapping at someone after it's happened. I don't know how to explain it better.

Edit: Like, someone I know died before christmas last year between discord posts. I just live in a world where people my age are starting to drop dead like that, and I'm supposed to keep that in check at all times, but my mom is allowed to scream at me and threaten me and call me an abuser if I stain a bathroom sink in the basement she never uses. I took care of a mentally ill gf and a mentally ill myself in 2022 and today, and I feel like I'm being told I'm irresponsible if I let dishes pile up in my room.

I guess, I'm always interested in vet perspectives, because it's 2023 and covid means I feel like I live in a world of lethal and arbitrary violence, and I seek that perspective to better learn how to cope with it, I guess.

Edit edit: I guess the issue is, I don't feel comfortable sharing this with people who I don't feel would understand or respect my perspective.

SardonicTyrant has issued a correction as of 13:51 on Aug 28, 2023

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Josherino posted:

You aren't alone - funny enough (as a vet myself), I'm always interested in hearing out or understanding perspectives from folks who haven't served.

I too have been in a situation or space where not even wiggling my toes in the morning was enough. As I got older, my support system thinned out. Now I'm at a point where I'm going through my own cultural revolution in my head, where I'm learning what It means to have an actual support system.

I've learned that I've had to stay pretty flexible with my definition of "safety checks" and said support systems. What used to work may have worked for 2018 Josh, but definitely not 2023 Josh.
Thank you so much, this is the kind of answer I think I was looking for before.

I guess like, I'm not a vet and I never went to med school, but I did work as a supermarket cashier making minimum wage for about 4 years. By the time I left to pursue college full time, I had saved a manager's life when she had a seizure on the floor, saved a person's foot when they stepped on broken glass, stopped a scammer from ripping off an old lady, helped an old woman who was about to collapse on the floor by helping her to a chair, and so on. After each time, I did my best to anticipate for the next event. I slowly nudged our boss to keep each first aid kit on the floor stocked up with bandages, kept track of the wet floor signs, etc etc etc. I did all of this on a minimum wage and no respect from my family, my friends, or the place I worked for my efforts. I did all of this because at the end of every day of my life, I've always wanted to help people no matter my situation or my station.

And like, at some point I realized I live in a world on fire, with people who can't notice the world through their own pain, and don't seem all that interested in each other in the first place. And I guess, I'm trying to find out to leave that place in my mind.

Right now, I've been writing a story about the great fire of rome because I love reading about history, and it's been very theraputic, putting a lot of my thoughts and feelings into that one story idea. It turns out, if you spend your days thinking the world is on fire, you inject that commentary into a lot of historical contexts

Zeroisanumber posted:

Huh. You ever get checked for ADHD? I just got diagnosed a bit ago and your situation isn't the same as mine but the explosive temper and "mental safety checks" and letting plates pile up all sound very familiar.
I did once, and I was being treated for it, but at the time my parents' marriage was falling apart in a lot of ways and I was so laser focused on pleasing them I couldn't even notice my own pain so I just....stopped engaging with therapists for awhile.

SardonicTyrant has issued a correction as of 08:42 on Aug 30, 2023

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Jorge Bell posted:

There's a lot of work that needs doing that doesn't get rewarded in capitalist systems. Don't think of it as a fault for making your home/neighborhood/workplace better. The problem is with the system you live under, not you, and contributing positively to our individual domains is basically the most that any given person can really do.

Re-posting this great quote, "It's okay if you only help one person, and it's even okay if that person is you."
That lesson seems to get reinforced the more I write, so yeah, it's a good message.

I basically only ever write essays or letters when I have do, I haven't written anything for enjoy it since grade school, there's a lot of trauma there to unpack one day. But I've been writing some letters to our favorite creators along with our thoughts. I'd like to mail them at some point and hopefully start a correspondance one day. Same idea as throwing a message in a bottle into the ocean; it may not get heard, but it feels good throwing something of myself out into the world in a way where it's not gonna hit anyone.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Been feeling pretty dissociated the past few weeks. Only realized it recently, but I'm sure it will pass at some point. Gonna tell my therapist about it. Actually, what I'm trying to get is a cpap machine for my sleep apnea. I got diagnosed with it once a long time ago but I didn't like using the cpap, but this time I've gotta commit to using it because I'm, heh, tired of being this tired all the time.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Reading through The Body Keeps The Score, holy poo poo it explains what I've been going through so well, stuff like mindfulness never quite clicked with me until I read it, I feel more relaxed and in tune with the present than I have in weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I'm trying to eat three square meals a day and plenty of sleep. Not exactly improving my mood but I feel stable more often.