Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
:siren: Spoilers Policy: None. Nada. Not for plot, not for puzzles, not for nothing. :siren:
tagged guesses/calculated solutions to puzzles is allowed and even encouraged! that's not the same thing

Professor Layton's Theme

Well, it's time again folks. Not a pun, I swear. Anyway, Professor Layton 3 (ha suck it, region renames!) is a... really, REALLY good game. It has an insanely good story - and not just for something that could get away with virtually nothing - and a whole buncha clever puzzles and character moments and oh God it's so good you guys!!

Ahem, uh, so being the third game in a trilogy you are expected to know what happened during the previous 2: The Curious Village and Pandora's Diabolical Box. You don't have to do that, of course, and if you don't really care about the plot then feel free not to. Just know that this game is the first one that gets REALLY plot heavy.

Oh and since you should know what happened before, there is zero need to tag anything related to the first two games. For other stuff, just be sensible about it.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Feb 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

This is kind of like a familiar old friend at this point. Weirder to not see this, huh.

Time Immemorial
probably easier to just watch this, really

It's really weird hearing Big Ben chime at half 11. I dunno, that seems really off to me.

But yes, anyway, hello and welcome once again back to "London."

We've seen brief snippets of it in the past, spending a prologue here, once already even...

The camera is primarily following along with this bus.

As the bus journey continues ever onwards...

We cut to inside, and can catch a glimpse of a pair of familiar looking hats!

...Wait, what happened to the Laytonmobile?!

Hmm... A letter, as per the norm, huh? All three of our adventures have started the same way then. Only two mid-journey, though...

Suspicion

If you're watching the video, why yes the speaker here IS Yuri Lowenthal! Ah, the good ol' days when you couldn't turn the corner without tripping over 3 characters voiced by Yuri. How times have changed.

You see, the London we know and love has been thrown into absolute chaos.
To complicate matters, the calamity I speak of does not take place in your time.

I know this is a lot to take in, but I'll explain it all soon.

Obviously, this doesn't actually exist. As a funny quirk, though, you know what DOES exist? Leyton Midland Road Station. Yes, really. I'm like 99% sure Level-5 didn't know that and it's just a funny coincidence, but hey.

Silence

From... my future self? But how is that even possible?
I don't know, but it does raise the question: if this letter is indeed authentic, how did it get here?

But seriously, I think this mystery might be the strangest we've ever encountered!
Indeed. And even in the future, you seem to need my help in solving it.
Your constancy can be quite a comfort in these uncertain times, my boy.
Er... Well, thank you, I think. But back to the letter - how do we know it's real?
Hmm... Well, we haven't much to go on yet.

Hmm...

A nice consistency here, huh? Another 10 mysteries to unravel throughout the course of the game, including the primary plot thread. Hopefully these'll be better thought out this time than "a woman's pet dog is missing on this train."

Suddenly, we're in a flashback and here's a Liam O'Brien! He turns up in, I believe, every single main series game from this point onward in one role or another. He's in several roles in the prologue here alone!

This stream of particles allowed me to divine the terminal points of the vortex.
Armed with this information,

Once the magnetic field is firmly established,

A lot of this is very obviously fictional technobabble, so don't think too hard about it. In summary: Dr. Liam O'Brien has made a time machine and it works.

Also hey these two are here again. You can tell its the real Chelmey because he has Barton with him!

barton

barton please

dont talk with your mouth full and please chew with it closed

Though it does make me wonder what we did to deserve invitations to such a feast.

It's only natural I'd be invited to an important event such as this.
Er, I suppose that's possible...
Possible, you say?

And with that show of modesty from Chelmey...

End

We get to poke around the scene a bit. There's not much to find right now, though, so we'll take a sensible option...

And eavesdrop in on Barton and Chelmey again.

Sorry you feel that way, sir. I think it's quite - chomp chomp - scrumptious, myself.
Bah. This over-salted chop and pile of wilt greens have nothing on Amelie's cooking.

From what little we've learned about Chelmey's wife in the past, she bakes cakes and... no, that's basically everything we know about her actually. Eat your vegetables, Inspector.

If that's how you feel, sir, I'd be happy to relieve you of that, um, burden.
Now see here, Barton! If you don't return my chop at once, I'll have you driving a desk next week!
It would be worth it! Mmm... This crackling is, um, cracking!

Barton and Chelmey have a second bit of dialogue for us if we give 'em another poke. It doesn't matter who you prod for either; I'm just going left-to-right because it worked well in the past.

Come on, sir, it's not all bad. At least there's - shlurp - food to enjoy while we wait.
Honestly, I'm knee-deep in case work. I haven't got the time for fancy banquets.
Chomp! Oh my, sir, you should try this. It's - chomp chomp - absolutely lovely.

So, what about the folks over on this table then?

Complaining
ordinarily this'd just be straight audio but with approx 100% of the good free sites for that dying of their own volition, a short video'll have to do. just pretend its audio only if you want.

Yes, dear...

That's quite understandable, Luke.

Hey look! I think I see Inspector Chelmey over there!

Man, y'know, the audio on this one line is REALLY awful for some reason. Like it was recorded way later than everything else and badly compressed or something. Considering how it doesn't fit the rest of the scene, I could totally buy that that is the case.

Hmm...
So, Professor, what do you about this whole event?

I'm not entirely sure.
Still, if it proves to be true, can you imagine the stir it will cause in the scientific community?
Well, I think it's really exciting! Though you don't sound entirely convinced, Professor.

Why do you say that?
Ah, of course. That must be your famous intuition talking, eh?
That's one way of putting it. But enough speculation. Look over there, Luke.
That guard? What about him?

Ooh! So we have an intruder in our midst!

End

Well, since that's clearly what we NEED to do to continue, let's see if we can get a bit more dialogue from these two beforehand.

Hmmm? What's that? Oh yes, a complete charade.
Well, I hope the presentation is brief. We do have places to be, you know.

Well, this is new! Our first puzzle, and while we are still railroaded into it, we can accept it when we're ready. It's not thrust on us mid-scene.

You look troubled, sir. Might we be of assistance?
Assistance? Oh yes, please! See, I've just received a report of some untoward behaviour...

We'll just skip past this for now. I could just end the update here instead, but we'll continue on for a little way's longer first...

Did you see that, Professor? I just assisted in the apprehension of a suspect!
Oh! Looks like the presentation is about to begin! Let's get back to our seats.

The guard's been replaced by someone new, and there's nothing else that's different here, so...

Time For A Demonstration
almost definitely just watch this; it covers the entire rest of the update (minus the puzzle of course)

Hey, it's Liam O'Brien again! I told you he'd be appearing again before we're done here.

Thank you for taking part in an event that will undoubtedly go down in scientific history.

After years of research in the field of time travel, I am pleaed to share the fruits of my labour.
In just a few short moments, I will be moving on to our scheduled demonstration.

As such, I have reserved a very special seat for our very special guest.
Please join me on stage, Prime Minister. No need to be shy!

Bill Hawks is voiced by... Christopher Robin Miller. Who (just in case you didn't know) also voices Professor Layton himself. How 'bout that.

What do you mean?
I mean, is this contraption a genuine, working time machine?
Why don't you have a seat and see for yourself?
Before we start, would you honour us with a few words, Prime Minister?

Good afternoon, everyone!
Today is a monumental day not only for our great nation, but for the entire human race.
Since the beginning of time, we humans have strived to transcend our natural limits.

But the one frontier that has always eluded us is time.
Indeed, travelling through time is a dream many thought was out of reach for humanity... until now.
Ladies and gentlemen, I hope you will join me in ushering in a new era for mankind!

I dunno, that wasn't a particularly great speech? How did this guy even get elected, again? I sure didn't vote for... wait, what party did you say...?

Thank you for those words, Prime Minister.
And now for the moment you've all been waiting for! Please take it away, Dr. Stahngun!
I have just one more request before we start.

What do you say, Mr. Hawks?
Wh-What?!
I assure you, there's no cause for concern.
But I was under the impression that I would merely be observing the proceedings...
Ah well, do forgive my presumption. It was never my wish to make you uncomfortable.

Please feel free to return to your seat, Prime Minister.
Wait! What I mean to say is, of course I can assist you.
Bill! Have you lost your mind?!

And now, without further ado, I give you my time machine!
Mr. Hawks, would you mind just stepping inside?

And so, the machine opens up to reveal its... surprisingly spacious inside, honestly.

The Prime Minister steps into the time machine...

...as the crowd watches intently.

Dr. Stahngun flips the first switch...

...and the machine powers on.

The doors close, shutting Mr. Hawks inside ready for what comes next.

Dr. Stahngun continues, and proceeds to flip the second switch...

As more power begins to flow through the machine, something seems... wrong.

Huh?

I'm pretty sure this shouldn't be happening. I mean, I imagine that time travels takes a bit of power, but man. That electricity seems like a bad omen.

Inside looks pretty bad too, but it's not like I'm a time travel scientist so maybe this is just what happe--

...Never mind, then! :stare:

Bad enough that the time machine got destroyed, but the fountain as well?!

I think "destroyed" might be a bit of an understatement, really. Mr. Hawks' completely gone... did... did it work?!

Someone find Bill!

Please remain calm and refrain from panicking!

He says, while also panicking. Lead by example, jeez.

...Mr. Hawks I understand, but where did Dr. Stahngun go?

My word...

Wait! Maybe if the time machine was real, this letter is real, too!
I don't know about that, but these two elements aren't the only puzzling issues.
Tell me, Luke, have you heard about the recent disappearances occurring here in London?
Oh yes, I read about it in the paper.

Yes, and I can't shake the feeling that those disappearances are linked to this whole affair.
In any case, it seems our best course of action is to head to the location mentioned in the letter.
Good idea!

Second mystery already, and this one seems a lot more directly relevant than most do at first.

And with that, our bus comes to a stop...

Layton and Luke both alight, having reached their destination.

What awaited us

And as we hit the title card, we finally get what was missing until now.

We hadn't received the letter from Luke that details all of this yet!

Little did we know that this letter would draw us into the strangest of situations...

End

And with that, we finally get to start the Prologue.

...Wait, hang on, what?

London Streets

This seems an ideal time to consult the map that accompanied the letter.
Here, Luke. See if you can find the shop's location by yourself.
Say no more, Professor!

Puzzles Reinvented

The past two times I've done the first puzzle myself. First game it was just for expediency; second game it was for necessity. This one can be done in-thread, and we've been through this rodeo twice before. Plus, uh, this game really begins focusing more on the story as an actual story moreso than a vehicle for puzzles, so we only got the one during the entire opening this time around...

1. The clues mention the colors of the flowers and the tablecloths. Use the Memo function to mark the clues on the seating plan. It may help you visualize the situation more clearly.

As before, I'll stagger out the hints just in case. Also as before, I'm sure you'll be fine regardless.

1. To figure out the route, you need to know where to turn and in which direction to go, right?

It is worth noting, though, that this is the game that introduced the Super Hint. Regardless of whether or not you think you need further clues, I'll only ever post that one with the solution because they usually just straight up tell you the answer and that's no fun!

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Mar 2, 2019

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I was waiting for this.

Anyway, for the puzzles:

1. It's the red-flowered red-table clothed one. 2nd row, third column.

2. H.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Starting off with easy puzzles, as is customary, I see.

001: There are only 3 tables with red flowers, and fortunately each has a different colour tablecloth. The one with the yellow tablecloth and the white tablecloth each have another table with the same colour tablecloth adjacent to them, so the uninvited guest can be found at the table with a red flower and red tablecloth.

002: Reading the clock directions assuming 12:00 is north puts the clock shop at H.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Oh man, this game! By far my favorite in the Layton series. Been a while since I did the puzzles so...

1. Red flower with the red tablecloth is the only one that fits the bill.

2. H. The real puzzle is just figuring out what the times mean, which isn't all that hard. Probably won't age well as analog clocks get more and more phased out though. :v:

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

Yesss, I've been waiting for this thread! So excited, Unwound Future is definitely my favourite Layton game.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)
001:It saying that it was next to a table with a red flower threw me for a bit, but it has to be the table with the red flower and red tablecloth.

002:The directions are pointing you up, right, up, left, and down, leading you to the shop labeled with an H.

Considering that I have never picked up a Professor Layton game in my life and have never read any of these threads, not bad!

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

limeicebreakers posted:

Yesss, I've been waiting for this thread!

Yeah, uh, I probably should've gotten to it a lot sooner really. I definitely do feel that a break between each is sorta necessary because of how they play and all but... six and a half-ish years from starting the first to starting the third is perhaps a bit much. :sweatdrop:

Talow
Dec 26, 2012

001: it's the red clothed table with the red rose.

002: assuming the clock directions are compass directions, the shop is H.

Should be interesting to see where this game goes.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

The IRS gave me a refund. I spent it on this SA account. What was I thinking?!
001: The table with a red flower and red tablecloth.
002: Up, right, up, left, down leads to shop H.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

I don't know about Big Ben, but some clocks do chime on the half hour.

And good luck finding a car park anywhere in London.

I'm excited to see you're doing this one! It's still my favourite of all the Layton games.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Somehow letting the prime minister, you know your head of state, to participate in a demonstration of a device that tears time and space around it seems highly unsound.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

I remember playing this game all those years ago when it just came out. Ah, memories... :allears: I'm very glad you decided to LP this.

It makes sense that the Laytonmobile isn't being used. They are traveling within London, after all, not to some village.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Moved to the test-poster for readability:

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 20:45 on May 2, 2019

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

003. There needs to be at least a 3-hour gap between the bus from home and the bus from work, or you're not getting your full shift in. Coincidentally, each of the times in the list on the left will skip the one in the corresponding position on the right, meaning it's easy to just calculate the time between each time on the left and the one in the spot below the matching time on the right.

Of those, the shortest time interval is 5 hours, corresponding to E, the midnight bus. Good luck with your sleep schedule!

004. Three minutes exactly, though the small fast guy is waiting for the last thirty of those.

005. The first non-curved panel in the top row (second from the left), which has an hourglass pattern.

006. Ten.

007. The only time possible is six o'clock flat, since both the hour and minute hands are aligned with the notches.

008. For similar reasons, this clock instead must be currently reading twelve o'clock flat.

009. The only cog that will produce the desired result is B; the other two both create an even number of cogs between them.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

003: Taking bus E and working the night shift is the most efficient. You'll get to work at 01:00, work until 03:00, and have a 2-hour wait until you can go home at 05:00. The rest of the buses involve a 2.5 or 3 hour wait, or more.

004: After two minutes, the large man has carried two boxes up and returned to the ground floor (one round trip), and the smaller man has carried two boxes up and returned to the ground floor (two round trips). They now pick up the last three boxes; the smaller man takes half a minute to bring his box upstairs, while the larger man takes one minute but gets both of his upstairs in that time. So after three minutes, all the boxes are upstairs.

005: Second panel from the left in the top row has an hourglass on it.

006: Ten needles' eyes. No trick here, just need good eyes (heh).

007: The hour hand is pointing directly at an hour, so the minute hand must be pointing at 12. Therefore, the hour hand is pointing at 6 and it's six o'clock.

008: Same reasoning as with 7, but now it's twelve o'clock.

009: There needs to be an even number of cogs in the path from top to bottom (NOT counting the top, but counting the bottom) for them to go in the same direction. Only the path through cog B fits that requirement.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
003: Bus E. It would only result in a 2 hour wait. Bus A would result in a 2.5 hour wait. Bus B would result in a whopping 5 hour wait! Bus C would result in a 2.5 hour wait. And Bus D would result in a 3 hour wait.

004: 3 minutes. After minute 1, the small man would have delivered 1 box and be at the bottom. The large man would have delivered 2 boxes (for a total of 3) and would be at the top. After minute 2, the small man would have delivered his 2nd box (for a total of 4) and be at the bottom. The large man would only have returned to the bottom at this time. After minute 3, the small man would have delivered his box (for a total of 5) and the large man would have delivered his 2 boxes, for a total of 7.

005: First row, second column. It has an hourglass on it, and that's considered a time piece.

006: Ten. More of an observation test than a logic puzzle.

007: 6:00 is the only possible answer since that's the only way for both the hour hand and the minute hand to be perfectly lined up with the segments separating the hours.

008: 12:00 is the only possible answer for similar reasons as puzzle 007.

009: Cog B. Since cogs will always turn in the opposite direction of the one next to it, there would have to be an odd number of cogs between the top and the bottom one. Or you could just realize that B is the only path with a different number of cogs than A and C.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Moved to the test-poster for readability:

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 20:45 on May 2, 2019

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

010. Friday; "yesterday's day after tomorrow" is just regular tomorrow, so today is Saturday, and "tomorrow's day before yesterday" likewise works out to just regular yesterday.

012. 3+4-2=5; the "1" tile just needs to be rotated.

013. Pen C, which as the only pen with no white in the handle must be the one with the white cap. Since there are two blue caps and all four are wrong, D must be the one with the green cap.

014. First column, second row; the path is just rotated accordingly.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

#010 Friday; Today is yesterday's tomorrow, and since yesterday's day after tomorrow is Sunday, it's Saturday. Tomorrow is Sunday, and the day before yesterday will then be Friday.

#012 3+4-2=5, I'm guessing (rotate the 1 if that's allowed.)

#013 C : Clue 1 means both blue caps must be on A & B. Clue 2 means C has the white cap, D must have the green cap, and C is the usable one.

#014 Column 1, Row 2. Assuming the 'school' is the pencil and the 'library' is the book, the students go two blocks back from the school exit, and one block over to the left. That puts the station, relative to the facing of the flower shop, in the open slot that's on the left side, close to the upper corner.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
This game is so good.

The title theme itself is the best in the series, and so is the rest of the drat game.

Talow
Dec 26, 2012

010Friday

0123+4-2=5. cheeky to have the minus side be rotated.

013C, because the white cap needs to be on C and blue can't be on D.

014the station is in A2. Column 1 Row 2. however's easier to understand.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Moved this update to the test-poster for ease of readability:

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Feb 23, 2019

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
15. 21, looking from the back.

16. Also Sunday, I think, since all the numbers in the problem are multiples of 7, the same number of days in a week.

17. 8. The note says "121 - 113 =".

18. Left 1, down 1 (banana peel), up 5, left 2, down 2 (banana peel), up 2, left 2, up 2, left 2, down 1, left 1.

146. 2 birds. If half fly away and one comes back, and the overall numbers never change, then one must have flown away. Double 1 and you get 2.

20. 63. Two digits only appear only once across all rooms: 2 (room 29) and 7 (room 71). These are the start and end points. Starting from 71, our sequence goes 71, 18, 38, 33, 63, 65, 54, 49, 29. 63 is in the fifth room visited regardless of the direction, since it's in the middle of the sequence.

21. The line should be drawn between the top right corner of the middle square and the bottom left corner of the leftmost square, or the top left corner of the middle square and the bottom right corner of the rightmost square. This should result in a total of three squares of medicine remaining.

22. Only that mouse's skeleton should be showing up in an X-ray!

23. 47. Rotating the bottom key 180 degrees and putting the two keys together makes this number show up.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

015. 21, if you look at it from the back, or the top edge from the overhead view.

016. All of the quantities are multiples of 7, so the day in question is a Sunday.

017. 8, the result of 121-113.

018. Immediately turn south, then double back and turn left when that first banana is right in front of you. Continue along the street until you slip on a second banana. From there, take the following directions at intersections you come across: north, west, north, west, south, west.

146. Two; half (one) leaves and then it comes back immediately.

020. Room 71 or 29 must be first and last, since there are no other rooms with a 7 or a 2. Following the trail from there gives us the order 71-18-38-33-63-65-54-49-29, of which 63 is the middle and fifth number no matter which direction.

021. Draw from any corner of the inner square helpfully marked with a dotted line to either of the outside corners opposite it.

022. Is it the pill-looking thing at the bottom?

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

Missed an update, so I'll do two updates' puzzles at once:

010: Today is Saturday, so the answer is Friday. I also notice that in this calendar system, Monday appears to be the first day of the week and Sunday the last day of the week.

012: If you follow the arrows as drawn, you'd get 3+412=5, which doesn't work out. But if you then rotate the 1, it becomes a horizontal bar, a minus. And 3+4-2=5 is a correct equation, so that's the answer.

013: The two pens on the left should have blue caps, and the two on the right should have white or green. If the white one was rightmost, it would have two white parts, contradicting the second clue. So the green cap is rightmost. Since we're only asked to find the "usable pen", and it's left of the green cap (I have to assume that means "immediate left" or the puzzle is unsolvable), that means the answer is the third pen from the left

014: If the pencil (square C4) is the school and the book (square B2) is the library, then the path is turn left out of the school, go to the second intersection, turn left, and go to the middle of the third block. Following that path from the flower shop in square C2 brings you to square A3, which must be the station.

015: To get the maximum number of matchboxes, we should have every square of the top-down grid piled as high as possible given the side view. Then see which side view presents the maximum. I'll use chess coordinates to describe the top-down view. If person B is looking from the front, then his left side is column A, and his right side is column D. Then column A has 3 stacks of 2 boxes, B has 1 stack of 3 boxes, C has 2 stacks of 1 box, and D has 4 stacks of 2 boxes, total 6+3+2+8=19. If B is looking from the left, then his left side is row 1, and his right side is row 4. Then row 1 has 2 stacks of 2 boxes, row 2 has 3 stacks of 3 boxes, row 3 has 3 stacks of 1 box, and row 4 has 2 stacks of 2 boxes. Total 4+9+3+4=20. And the same total applies if B is looking from the right (it's symmetrical that way). If B is looking from the top, then his left side is column D and his right side is column A. Then D has 4 stacks of 2 boxes, C has 2 stacks of 3 boxes, B has 1 stack of 1 box, and A has 3 stacks of 2 boxes, total 8+6+1+6=21. So the maximum number of matchboxes on the table is 21.

016: Weekday math is modulo-7, so all those numbers cancel to 0 and it's still Sunday.

017: I had to look at two hints to get that the scratches at the end were an = sign, then it became clear that the note says "121-113=". So the number is 8. A one-digit code doesn't seem very secure...

018: Whether you start by going left or down, it's inevitable that you'll slide to the lower left corner. From there, go up twice, then right, sliding to the right edge. Then go up three times, left twice, and down twice, sliding to the bottom. And now you have a banana peel-free path to the exit that starts by going up, then snaking its way around.

146: If half fly away but then one comes back, the number would go down if there were more than 2, and would go up if there were less than 2. Since the original number keeps repeating, that means the original number was 2.

020: Room 33 doesn't share any digits with its neighbors, so the doctor clearly doesn't go to adjacent rooms each time. 71 doesn't share 7 with any other rooms, so it has to be the start or the end. Since we're asked for the fifth room, it doesn't matter whether 71 is the start or the end, because the fifth room stays the same when a list of nine rooms is flipped in backwards order. So let's start with 71 and trace the path: 71-18-38 is forced. Then we have to go to 33 before 63 or else we'll never get to 33 at all. After 63 comes 65-54-49-29 (forced). So the path is 71-18-38-33-63-65-54-49-29 or the inverse, and either way 63 is the fifth room.

021: He needs to drink one square's worth of medicine. Draw a line between the lower left corner of the top square (upper left corner of the middle square) and the lower right corner of the bottom square. He should pour the bottle into a glass until the liquid level is at that line, at which point he'll have poured out one square's worth.

022: No idea what they want here, but the white oval near the bottom looks weird. Is that a bullet lodged in his stomach or something?

023: If you turn the bottom key over then put the two keys together, you see the number 47 in the white gaps.

Tax Refund fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Feb 21, 2019

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Today's update is... well, it's very large of course. And regrettably, this page is very full. So to compensate I'll just put it up on the test poster (as always, remember to thank Baldurk for making this possible!):

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

Wow, I don't know how I missed that when you go south in puzzle 018, you don't then have to go west and immediately slip on a peel. I got to the second half of the right solution, but with a far more complicated route than necessary.

019: To cross exactly 4 black and 3 white squares, you can't ever double back. So this becomes "How many unique ways can I arrange the letters RRUUUU?" (R for Right and U for Up). The general formula for this kind of thing is (a+b)!/(a!)(b!); here a=2 and b=4, so the answer is 6!/2!(4!) = 720/(2*24) = 15.

024: Working backwards from the end makes this puzzle trivial: look for each square that does NOT have an arrow pointing to the current one, and that's the "previous" square in the solution. Each time there's only one possible previous square, so you quickly find the answer: from the start, move S once, E twice, S twice, W twice, S twice, E thrice, N once, E twice, and S once. Visualization: https://lpix.org/3380192/024-solved.png

026: I believe the answer is the letter P, as only that one can produce the required combination of straight and curved lines.

144: It's person E, of course. The analog clock theme strikes again! Incidentally, 8:20 is the time that many clocks are set to in paintings, as the position of (and angle between) the hour and minute hands makes a visually pleasing effect.

027: Took me two clues to figure out that the guy in the blue shirt isn't holding his card up where only he can see it, he's laying it on the table and pointing to it, as if asking his opponent something about the rules. So this looks like a teaching game rather than fierce competition. My answer: the way the guy is showing the ace of spaces to his opponent is strange.

L vs FL: Hearts touching diamonds, clubs not touching spades. If club or spade were card 2, then card 4 would also have to be club or spade, making it impossible for heart to touch diamond. Likewise, card 3 can't be club or spade. So cards 1 and 4 are club and spade in some order, while 2 and 3 are heart and diamond in some order. Since a heart is directly right of a club, club is card 1 and heart is card 2. So diamond is card 3 and spade is card 4.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

019. There are exactly 15 paths. Puzzles like this can be solved with an easy application of Pascal's triangle.

024. One (likely the only) possible path is south, east, east, south, south, west, west, south, south, east, east, east, north, east, east, south.

026. The letter is P.

LvFL. The spade can only be on the far right - the heart card needs the club on its left, and since the diamond must be next to it also, the diamond must be to its right. There are only two possible positions for the club-heart-diamond string to be, and it cannot have the fourth card on its left since that would put the club and the spade adjacent to each other, which isn't allowed.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

There's no need to exceed the speed of light to 'jump' into the future relative to where you are; you just need to get going fast enough. It isn't just theoretical; it's been shown experimentally several times, most famously using clocks on airplanes. It would require an enormous amount of energy to move two person-sized masses ten years in such a short time, though, so there's still some [potential] sci-fi going on.

They may run into trouble at the end of the trip, of course. According to theory you do need to be going faster than the speed of light to go to the past. Although the theory also says you can't even cross that barrier - either you have rest mass and go forwards in time at various rates slower than c, or imaginary mass and go backwards in time at various rates faster than c. There isn't any conclusive experimental evidence of the latter type of travel, though.

e: I forgot the whole thing started with the letter sent by FLuke, which is already a violation of known physical laws, if it was sent back in time. (And naturally there are FTL means of traveling around in time; it's just that it isn't a requirement for forward travel.)

144: C, because the round figure 8 of his eyes and the hideous scarring of his lips has left him with a permanent 8:20 plastered on his face. It can't be shaved off, so that's the only one it could be.

026: Р, Ы, Б and probably others.

027: Really hard to tell given how crudely drawn this is, but I'll guess the reflective surface on the thing hanging on the wall? Maybe it's supposed to be a mirror?

Layton v. FLuke : The rightmost card. Club can't be on the right (needs heart), can't be in the middle (the heart needs a diamond on the other side), so it must be on the left, with club, heart, diamond, spade.

Kangra fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Feb 24, 2019

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Dragonatrix posted:

Today's update is... well, it's very large of course. And regrettably, this page is very full. So to compensate I'll just put it up on the test poster (as always, remember to thank Baldurk for making this possible!):

I prefer it this way anyway, in all honesty - more than one update on a page makes my poor little tablet creak quite badly!

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Apologies for the delay, I've just been sick and a bit busy with other stuff lately. But now we can move onto the exact moment when I was all in on this particular ride...

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
the gun :allears:

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I noticed that about the second player, but that's a really common thing to do especially when the competition is heated. You don't want to let anyone know what's in your hand, and if you're even halfway decent, you have no need to look at them yourself.

Non-evil Layton's card puzzle is pretty good, though I feel like saying "the spade" is a cheat, since there are many puzzles that rely on that exact sort of phrasing to imply something that exists.

W01: 10,20,40,80. Doubling each increment/using binary numbers works.

W02: Left-handed golf club. Or maybe it's a girls' basketball. But it's probably the left-handed golf club.

W03: *<===

W04: It's convenient here to use [arc]minutes for the angle measurement, as we only need precision time to the minute, so our measurements will only require 30-minute units for hand movement. One hour subtends 60 of these segments, or 1800 minutes. To get the position of the hour we multiply by 1800 minutes for every hour, and add the number of minutes multiplied by 30 minutes to get the number of minutes where the hour hand is. The minute hand passes through 5 minutes for each hour the hour hand does, or 12 30-minute units every minute, which is 360 minutes. The angle of the minute hand can be found by multiplying the number of minutes by 360 minutes. Their difference is the angle between them, but we can't just subtract the two values to get our answer, as that might give us the exterior angle, when we want the angle between* them. If the difference between the hours and the minutes is greater than 10,800 minutes, that is to say, 360 half-degrees, then we have to subtract it from a full circle (360 degrees or 21,600 minutes) to get the right answer.

A) 10:10 gives us 18,300 minutes (18,000 minutes for 10 hours + 300 minutes for 10 minutes) for the hour hand and 3600 minutes for the minute hand. 18300 - 3600 = 14,700, so we subtract from 21,600 to get 6900 minutes.

B) 2:20 gives us 4200 (3600 minutes for 2 hours + 600 minutes for 20 minutes) for the hour and 7200 minutes for the minute, or 3000 minutes.

C) 5:50 gives us 10,500 minutes (9000 minutes for 5 hours + 1500 minutes for 50 minutes) for the hour, and 18,000 minutes for the minute hand, or 7500 minutes.

Answer: C

*There is no accepted definition of 'angle between' to mean the exterior angle, and this puzzle is wrong if it tries to claim otherwise.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
Can we keep the gun? :allears:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Miz Kriss posted:

Can we keep the gun? :allears:

A gentleman respects his encumbrance and never tags heavy weapons, Luke. Friendly fire simply isn't.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Kangra posted:

Non-evil Layton's card puzzle is pretty good, though I feel like saying "the spade" is a cheat, since there are many puzzles that rely on that exact sort of phrasing to imply something that exists.
I took that more as a shibboleth, like Luke knows that Layton gets cranky about that kind of phrasing issue in a puzzle.

W04 response: The issue with the angles possibly being reflex angles is easily solvable if we simply forgo plane angles and use the argument of complex numbers. Given any time on a clock, there exists a function f: (Z_12, Z_60) -> C, f(h,m) = e^( *(11m/12-5h)/30 ) such that f(h,m) maps the hour hand and minute hand to r = f(h,m), the 60th root of unity with an angle to 1 corresponding to the minute hand's relative position to the hour hand. Thus, arg(f(h,m)) must be the angle between the hands at a time "h:m".

So whichever of arg(f(10,10)), arg(f(2,20)), and arg(f(5,50)) has the highest value must hae the greatest angle. Because arg(z) is a multivalued function with no upper bound, it's clear this puzzle would be bullshit to use a reflex angle, because then there's also nothing stopping me from saying "well then there's a 720 degree angle between the hour and minute hand at noon".

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

W02: That looks like a left-handed golf club, and since the puzzle doesn't say anything about which hand the boy favors, I can only assume that the boy is right-handed. If, indeed, the boy is right-handed, it would be impossible for him to use a left-handed club, because the face of the club would not be facing the ball, based on how he would swing it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I remember this being my favorite Layton game. Looking forward to experiencing it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

Layton vs. Future Luke: The last two clues tell us that slots 1 or 4 have a diamond and a club. Since the club is directly right of a heart, it can't be in 1 so it's in 4, and the diamond is in 1. But this means the heart is in 3 (because the club is directly right of it) AND in 2 at the same time (because it's next to the diamond). So unless there are two hearts and no spades, this puzzle is unsolvable.

W01: Successive powers of two are the answer to this kind of thing: 10/20/40/80 will let you produce all multiples of 10 from 10 to 150.

W02: I'm going to go with the golf club because golf clubs aren't usually designed for children (the assumption being that only adults play golf). If that's correct, then I don't like this puzzle either because the answer is VERY arguable.

W03: Make a left-pointing arrow by putting the 1 in the left slot, the two 3's in the double slot (arranged appropriately to form a left-pointing chevron) and the 6's in the other three slots, arranged so their dots form two horizontal lines.

W04: Each mark (one hour or five minutes) on an analog clock forms a 30° angle, and for each ten minutes that the minute hand advances, the hour hand gets 5° closer to vertical. So 10:00 would have the hour hand 60° from vertical, but at 10:10 the hour hand is only 55° from vertical. So 10:10 has a separation of 55° + 60° = 115°. 2:20 has a separation of only 55°. But 5:50 has a much wider separation: the distance between mark 5 and mark 10 is 150°, and the hour hand has advanced 25° towards the six by the time it's 5:50. 150° - 25° = 125°. So the answer is 5:50.