Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Can't you use the 6 stamp as a 9 as well and pair with the 3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

fractalairduct posted:

If you turn a 5 upside down, it's still a 5. To make a 2, it would have to be mirrored.

...That I had to just stop and think about this for a second is probably not my finest moment.

But, yeah, the reason it worked before is because it was mirrored. Which is also why it doesn't work now. :doh:

Kangra
May 7, 2012

#131 Her friend paid 110% of 90% of £30, for a pen that she paid 90% of £30 for. Thus the money she made is: (1.1*0.9 - 0.9)*£30 = (0.09)*£30 = £2.70

#130 Not putting much effort into this, but I think the order is G,D,H,I,L,M,E or so, I'll guess E.

#W05 I didn't investigate other possibilities, but found a working solution pretty quickly:
Day 1,2: Circle, X, Triangle; Day 3: Circle,X,Circle; Day 4,5,6,7: X,Square,X

#W08 One of them sees a mustachioed man with a bulbous nose wearing goggles, the other sees a cute woman with large eyelashes in an oversized jacket, whose goggles and hat are pulled up off her face.

#W09 Since all the digits remain unchanged when flipped, this amounts to satisfying these two equations with the digits given:
(10A + B) * (10C + D) = 100E + 10F + G (right side up)
100G + 10F + E = (10D + C)*(10B + A) (upside down)
These can be expanded to:
100(AC) + 10(BC + AD) + BD = 100E + 10F + G
100(BD) + 10(BC + AD) + AC = 100G + 10F + E

We can start in the ones' place for both, with BD mod 10 = G, AC mod 10 = E. But since we're limited to only one 5, none of those can be greater than 10, meaning BD = G and AC = E. That also means that there's nothing added into the ten's place, so BC + AD = F.

It's pretty easy to see that G and E have to 2, meaning one of BD and one of AC is 1. The only place the 5 can fit is as F, giving us the choice of (BC = 4, AD = 1) or (BC = 1, AD = 4).

The possible solutions are then 12 * 21 = 252 or 21 * 12 = 252.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

In which we spend about half our time just pottering about doing side things, and the other half actually Getting On With It.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

132: 1, I think.

138: All of these dates are ones that could be seen when the number is moving to another. So, you could see '32' when "23" is clicking over to "24." And you could see '93' when 29 clicks over to 30. But you couldn't see 64, so the answer is C.

141: An upside-down red heart. I admit I had to try this using a die that actually had a logo printed on the '1' side.

108: A dog means an odd number, and a cat an even number. So the minimum to add is 110, making 111.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Ha, I forgot about the consecutive meals from dinner to breakfast there.

#132 The marked page is the only part of its rectangle that is visible, and it is not on top of any other pages. All other 10 ripped pages have portions that are on top of, and portions that are underneath other pages. This must then be #1, or January.

#138 While there are a number of ways this watch could work, the only one that makes for a solvable puzzle is to choose answer C, since 4 cannot be the start of the next date, but 2 & 3 can.

#141 First, we can follow the shapes (Heart, Diamond, Circle) to see what will be put down: H, D(turn), C, D, C, D(turn), H, D, H(turn), C, H. So we have a heart, but need to know which way it's pointing. Using North/South to mean orientation on the page, and Up/Down/Left/Right for orientation perpendicular to the page, the tip of the heart goes: N, U, R, D, L, U, S, D, N, N(on the side), N. So we place a heart with the point upward.

#108 One solution is to have dog = odd digit, cat = even digit. That requires an answer of 110. I've found another solution, though, whereby the lowest value for dog dog dog is 31, so the answer is 30. But it's probably not what they had in mind.

I'd be interested to know if there's an approach to reinterpreting the 'addition' operation to give an even lower answer.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

You like plot heavy areas?

Here's one . And it's all of chapter 11 too. :confuoot:

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
111: A...?
112: Top, right, bottom. Go down 2 (ladder 1), pass through A, down on the right side of A, up on the far left ladder, pass through B, loop around the top to get to C (ladder 2), then go over the girder above A & D, down on that side, and then down ladder 3 in the middle.
150: 10, I guess? The way this is framed is throwing me off.
113: Down two to 3, right to 4, down three to 3, right three to 6, up two to 4, right one to 3, down two to 1.
115: Top right corner.
116: Looks like it's asking for North, so...D? If you put that northwards, the other three fall into place. Edit: Post-instructions, answer is C.

Cyouni fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jan 13, 2020

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

quote:

I have spent perhaps too long trying to make this fit the tune of Gaston and I'm just bad enough musically to not be able to. :v:

Don't worry, it doesn't scan properly if you try.

111: It's A!

112: The top ladder is #1. The one on the right is #2. The bottom one is #3.

150: The number that's divisible, from top to bottom, is 18. Sliced lengthwise, it gives '10'. So next year, the younger sister will be 10 and the older sister will be 18. Right now, the younger sister is 9, and last year, the two sisters were 8 and 16 - half/double each other's age.

113:

115:

116: You forgot to include the instructions for this puzzle!

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Quackles posted:

116: You forgot to include the instructions for this puzzle!

Oh my God, I totally did. How did that even happen...? I can't even fix that for another like 6-7 hours or so right now.

Fortunately! I can just quote the wiki for now and edit in the proper thing later:

quote:

This chart has cardinal directions written on each square. However, the top of the chart is not necessarily north.

If you appoint the correct side of the chart as north, starting from a certain square and moving in the direction each square indicates allows you to pass over all the squares on the chart.

Knowing this, can you work out which side of the map, A, B, C or D, is north?

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

116: Easy enough if you actually rotate the image. Starting from the center with C as north futfills the conditions.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Dragonatrix posted:

Fortunately! I can just quote the wiki for now and edit in the proper thing later:

There we go, Proper thing edited in, and it's almost like I didn't somehow accidentally crop the top screen out. Almost. :sweatdrop:

Kangra
May 7, 2012

You can almost force it:

pre:
    In  a   wrest- ling match no- bod- y   bites   like Gas- ton
        no- bod-   y    does  se- cret re- search  like Don  Paolo
Or tweak the wording. But it's true, you can't end on "Don Paolo" quite like "Gaston":

pre:
   In a   wrest- ling match no- bod-   y    bites   like Gas- ton  
   No one does   se-  cret  re- search like Don     Pao- lo   can

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

116: C, and you start from the square in the center.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Some puzzle answers:

#111 A This is most easily solved by working backwards from the corner squares. B can't be the answer, since it needs a red next to it. D has a blue, but no yellow after that blue, so it's out. C can go up to blue, red, but then stops with no yellow, and going right gives no red after the blue. So it must be A; the path circles down all the way around the center.

#112 From top to bottom, 1, 2, 3. There's no way to go left or right at the start since reaching A from the side would go through B or C. That means the first path must go downward. To go in the right order, we have to cross around it twice -- first to get to B from A, then to get to D without hitting A again. That means we take either the upper or lower path after visiting A, go to B then C, and finally end by going over to D and going down the last ladder.

#150 9. This has both a semi-obvious answer and an impossible puzzle, I guess due to translation issues. I can't see any solution that satisfies the conversation and still fits. (The best I could imagine is that one of them is born on a leap year and they celebrate their birthday on alternating days in the off years). Yet they clearly want the number split to be 18, cut in half to be 10. Of course there's no reason it can't be 11, since the rest of the puzzle's logic is broken.

#113 1-2-3-4-5-6-5-4-3-2-3-4-3-2-1, heading up, back down, and left before heading roughly upward.

#115 It's in the upper right. The 2x2 square in the upper right corner marks the (open) upper right part of the plus.

#116 C Start in the center and the path spirals around.

I thought that #116 might depend on reading the rotated letters differently or even flipping it over (so the 'S' reads as an 'N').

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Kangra, Puzzle 150's not impossible, you just have to think laterally. Because they're trolling hard with this one.

Explanation below:

And that happens next year. This year, they're 9 and 17. Last year, they were 8 and 16, which is half each other's ages the normal way.

Quackles fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jan 14, 2020

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

In which the story remembers that ah yes, this is a Layton game.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Ah, Professor Layton games. There is always a mundane explanation for everything, and the mundane explanation is always wackier than the fantastical one.

(The exception to this is Azran Legacy, where it really is lost ancient technology.)

117: The arrow is on the monkey's face. It points down at the green tile with two X's.

136: Station D. There was only one stop left on the route, and this 'psychic' is a doofus!

140: Five, I think.

142: Cup A. Cups B and C swapped places!

PB3: This is blatant sensor-ship on the part of the US version.

also Pavel wasn't lost for once

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
Wait, is that 317 that the US Puzzle Battle 3 spells out and not infinity? Why? Is the next bit just completely rewritten...?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Dragonatrix posted:

In which the story remembers that ah yes, this is a Layton game.

I remember that explanation coming into my head the first time I travelled to FLondon and dismissing it as a silly thought too absurd even for this series a fraction of a second later.

After this any time I think about this game I just get distracted by the real estate possibilities and implications

Kangra
May 7, 2012

#117 The arrow is as plain as the nose on the monkey's face. Also nice the bird points to the tile, too.

#136 The answer is D, but even I have boarded trains heading the wrong direction one stop in order to not have to wait for it to return the other way.

#140 6. There are 2 centers visible in the picture. There is one in the lower right corner, another in the upper right corner, and then two more very large ripples - one centered above the top right of center, and one far off to the lower left (its ripple crosses close to where the two on-screen circles meet

#142 A

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Y'know, while we have one massive thing answered now, there are still some conspicuous dangling threads...

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I love how Layton games escalate. One moment you're exploring a kooky but normal town and the next you're running from ferris wheels or fencing a vampire.

And I think the point you missed was that the mysterious company was buying the *power source* for the time machine, so even though the machine itself failed that apparently worked (outputting enough energy to blow the place up at least). Now why that could only have been demonstrated by killing people in a "failed" test...

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jan 17, 2020

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Professor Layton games do indeed get wack, quite fast, and I love them for it.

clifton779
Aug 24, 2017
I have been lurking on the thread for some tome now, and this is the update that will finally get me to post.
Not because the game is bad, because it isn’t. This is honestly my favorite Professor Layton game, even above the Ace Attorney crossover. The twist is great, the ending is great, the music is great, everything about this game is great.
Except for Clive.
Why the hell is he called Clive? His name is somehow both the weirdest and most normal name in the series, collapsing in on itself in a paradox of confusion. When I first played this game, I honestly thought it was a joke, or maybe a glitch, because I honestly couldn’t believe they would name the evil mastermind Clive.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

The actual proper beginning of the end...

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Dragonatrix posted:

Knowing the thread the device poses to London, Layton races to stop the machine.

Oh no, Clive is going to shitpost all of London

Dragonatrix posted:

I was saving it for a special occasion, but too ba. i can always make another one.

Paul is turning into a sheep it seems

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
118: A, I think. That's the one that matches the curvature. Edit: nope, A is reversed, so it's D thanks to the heads.
119: F is in the top left, since that's the only match. For the one below it, it needs green -> orange to match, so it could be A or C. A would require red opposite green, which doesn't exist, so it's C. Only one that can slot into the bottom one from there is D. So left row is F, C, D.
Bottom right could be A or B. It being B would require the disk above it to have two oranges, so it's got to be A. From the bottom up, the only ones that fit are A, B, E.

120: Pressing 1236987->10->13->14->15. Makes a 2, leaving four buttons unpressed.
121: Button on the second row from the right, second from bottom.

Cyouni fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jan 20, 2020

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

118: A and E's threads go the wrong way. C's threads don't work at all! B and F can't fit a flathead screwdriver. So it's screw D.

120: Press two buttons that aren't '4'.

121:

Kangra
May 7, 2012

#118 Answer is D. C can be tossed out as it's not threaded. Of the rest, A & E are threaded the same but with a different pitch, and B,D, and E are threaded the other way but only D can be used with a flathead screwdriver. So even without noting that the screw needs to be right-hand threaded, and thus the answer must me D, we can choose it since there's no way that we'd be ask to determine the pitch from an ambiguous drawing.

#119 The upper left and lower right are the spots with two connections, and there are only two apiece that can fit each of them (C or F and A or B respectively). But neither B nor C can be used, since its yellow spot would have to connect to the middle wheel in its column, and no wheel has two yellow spots on it. So that puts F in the upper left. Down from there we can only put C (since A is forced), and then D on the left side bottom. Going from the right side bottom up, we put A, then B, and E, giving us:
FE
CB
DA

#120 1-2-3-6-9-8-7-10-13-14-15, making a '2' shape an leaving four buttons unpressed.

#121 This one was actually harder the first time we saw it, back in the pagoda. To solve this only requires finding the square that has no arrow pointing at it. It's one diagonally in from the lower right corner.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

mateo360 posted:

Oh no, Clive is going to shitpost all of London

Paul is turning into a sheep it seems

Whoops, nice catches. Thanks. Fixed 'em both now!

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Really not much left now, so we'll just focus on stopping Clive's insane(ly bad) plan.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

quote:

This converation is over.

Typographical ewwow~

124:

125:

127: Since we have to do this in one move, we need to find a place BOTH wires for the heart monitor and BOTH wires for the watch enter the same block. Then swap that for a wiring block that reroutes the pocket watch to the monitor. Like so:

128: I'd have to move this stuff around on the screen to understand it.

129:

Kangra
May 7, 2012

#123 - I feel like the answer is 8, but can't quite prove it. One solution for 8 is to fill a diagonal, then put four in a tilted square 'inscribed' in the big square and starting one down/up from the corner of the filled diagonal. Another is three in a row on an edge, three more in each row/column of the first three (forming a diagonal), and two in the middle of the unfilled row. Every solution seems to have only 2 in each row/column.

#124 - Using (1,1) as the lower left corner (with a spade), it's the spade at (2,2). The first tile to fall is the diamond at (2,5).

#125 - Again using (1,1) as the lower left, it's the square at (6,3), one above where the green bot currently is.

#127 - I think it's the two tiles in the middle of the 2nd and 5th column, but I'm not 100% sure if their connections line up with the tiles around them.

#128 - Instead of letters, let's label the current gear set-up starting from A with numbers (A is Gear 0, the first big one is Gear 1, etc.). We need B (Gear 16) to be an odd number of gears from A.

It should be possible to position two gears from (b) in the gap from Gear 2 to the currently unconnected gear in the center, with two gears of (b) not touching anything else. Then (c) can be placed so that two of its gears will connect to Gear 11, the one that assembly (a) is turning. That would then be the eight gear, and B will be the 13th gear from A, and will turn counterclockwise. Assembly (a) is not needed.

This might not be the solution if there's no way to move (a) out of the way enough or the lining up and rotating is harder than it looks.

#129 - All the top blocks need to move 3 down, except the one on the left, which should only go down 2. Blowing up the blue tetronimo on the right (near the car) corner piece, the yellow piece on its left, and the copper T-piece below them both fixes that side (assuming the blocks do not have to follow physical laws, and just drop straight down like Tetris pieces). Eliminate the other yellow T-piece on the lower left, and finally the orange L-shaped piece on top of it to complete the picture.

e: Quackles, there's a problem with your pattern in #124 but the answer is correct anyway. The upper left corner has an error in it, since it goes heart up to club, diamond, spade.

Kangra fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jan 23, 2020

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Kangra posted:

e: Quackles, there's a problem with your pattern in #124 but the answer is correct anyway.

Hey, you're right! Good catch.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Hoo. That... that happened. :cry: This made the most incredible impression on me when I first played it... and it still lands.

Poor Professor Layton.

The final line changes based on the version of the game you're playing, by the way. In the NA version (Unwound Future):

I'll miss you, Hershel... and our— unwound future.

Link to the NA version of the cutscene.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.
"

The chances of this really happening are... actually kinda unlikely. It's not impossible, since it might very well have done, but definitely not as depicted here. Luke would've been, at most, three years old at the time."

You know, the people in that shot are the same ones in the picture with Clive, so I'm pretty sure this isn't young Luke, but younger Clive instead.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Layton. :smith:

Seeing him basically break down considering he was so composed for the entire series, on top of finally seeing him take off his hat is a gut punch.

Also Bill Hawkes getting off scott free. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Just gonna knock out all the remaining (non-sliding) Weekly Puzzles in one go here, because that's... sensible. Yes. Definitely. Don't worry too much about trying to do these all at once.

Unless you really want to, I mean.