Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
are you going out of your way to use 5g?
yes i want the latest and greatest
no gently caress you
i'll use whatever the se support
View Results

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

coke posted:

an actual usage example that was given by a lot of 5g pushers is i poo poo you not, mobile surgery

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/5g-surgery-china-robotic-operation-a8732861.html

"sorry little timmy died because it started raining outside"

the media is eating this poo poo right up without putting in too much thoughts

Chinese organ harvesting poised to take off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
POUNDED IN THE BUTT BY THE INVERSE-SQUARE LAW.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

coke posted:

an actual usage example that was given by a lot of 5g pushers is i poo poo you not, mobile surgery

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/5g-surgery-china-robotic-operation-a8732861.html

"sorry little timmy died because it started raining outside"

the media is eating this poo poo right up without putting in too much thoughts

Remote surgery has always been the go-to pull it out of my rear end explanation.
I poo poo you not, in the UK, 3G was marketed with the exact same promise back in the 00's.

Interestingly enough, what it was actually used for was sharing the video of the rape of a teenage girl in a cinema bathroom on launch day.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
I wonder how many 5g networks will be "Carrier-grade NAT" ipv4 only

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Perplx posted:

I wonder how many 5g networks will be "Carrier-grade NAT" ipv4 only

every pdp context on consumer networks in the US I’ve seen is ipv4v6 and are mostly using the ipv6 address already

IOT networks and business networks with VPNs and such still seem to be ipv4 a lot of the time though

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

url posted:

Remote surgery has always been the go-to pull it out of my rear end explanation.
I poo poo you not, in the UK, 3G was marketed with the exact same promise back in the 00's.

Interestingly enough, what it was actually used for was sharing the video of the rape of a teenage girl in a cinema bathroom on launch day.

I’m not going to search this story out, but did they catch and prosecute the people responsible?

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

El_Elegante posted:

I’m not going to search this story out, but did they catch and prosecute the people responsible?

i searched this morning.

I read it in an old-timey newspaper, idk if its online, i couldn't find anything (and the search results were grim).

Yes, they were caught - if I remember the details correctly, they had travelled from London to the south coast (Brighton) for the purpose.
(CCTV was relatively commonplace even back then)

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Visual GNUdio posted:

its me i'm the 5g chad

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

literally revolting

coke
Jul 12, 2009

url posted:

i searched this morning.

I read it in an old-timey newspaper, idk if its online, i couldn't find anything (and the search results were grim).

Yes, they were caught - if I remember the details correctly, they had travelled from London to the south coast (Brighton) for the purpose.
(CCTV was relatively commonplace even back then)
welp the thread just took a dark turn

but that's comparable to christchurch shooter doing lower bitrate stream over 4g and the dumb part is that it's literally causing conspiracy theories saying the whole thing is fake or a false flag operation due to ejected bullet casings just disappear on the dark carpet instead of bad video compression over 4g

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I made an thing:

Am I 5Ging right?

:ohdear:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
dang. we’ve been talking about 5g so much that when i just opened up this thread I thought “but we’ve had that for years??”

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Schadenboner posted:

I made an thing:

Am I 5Ging right?

:ohdear:

no, like, unless you're still on your racist sino-conspiracy bent

then also no.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

infernal machines posted:

racist sino-conspiracy

:laffo:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
how do you feel about lenovo these days?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

how about we just all agree on not using the huawei baseband because they're garbage compared to qualcomm

i can't really comment on the nationality thing though because i tell people to buy italian cellular radios as part of my job.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

here try this meme

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

coke posted:

conspiracy theories saying the whole thing is fake or a false flag operation due to ejected bullet casings just disappear on the dark carpet instead of bad video compression over 4g

they can go gently caress themselves

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

coke posted:

welp the thread just took a dark turn

but that's comparable to christchurch shooter doing lower bitrate stream over 4g and the dumb part is that it's literally causing conspiracy theories saying the whole thing is fake or a false flag operation due to ejected bullet casings just disappear on the dark carpet instead of bad video compression over 4g

yeah, my b, apols.

it just irks me seeing the exact same lazy marketing every time, vs the realities as we've seen time and again.

I'll go back to shutting up in the corner.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

infernal machines posted:

no, like, unless you're still on your racist sino-conspiracy bent

then also no.

racist sino-conspiracy would be a baller username

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Displeased Moo Cow posted: