Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
are you going out of your way to use 5g?
yes i want the latest and greatest
no gently caress you
i'll use whatever the se support
View Results

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

zoll would eat the galaxy fold bun dog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

oh yeah, rememeber this? lol (zoll)

Anne Frank Funk posted:

behold the bendyphone from sarnsung. here captured in best light to delineate the artisanal relief of the screen fold

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Anne Frank Funk posted:

oh yeah, rememeber this? lol (zoll)

your folding it wrong
   /
  /
:smugdroid:

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

i saw an article about 6G, complete with mock-up logo. this is weeks after everyone mocked Trumps mention of 6G.

like event trump is smart enough to know how numbers increment upward jfc why can they not criticize this president for real poo poo.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

:siren:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

PleasureKevin posted:

i saw an article about 6G, complete with mock-up logo. this is weeks after everyone mocked Trumps mention of 6G.

like event trump is smart enough to know how numbers increment upward jfc why can they not criticize this president for real poo poo.

because he's a beta cuck who wants to stop at 6 g's.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

infernal machines posted:

for twelve years, you have been asking: what is 5g?

a miserable pile of antennas

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
5g, 6g, who gives a poo poo?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

President Beep posted:

5g, 6g, who gives a poo poo?

the president wants 6g so why are we even working on 5g? our efforts should be on 6g

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sniep posted:

the president wants 6g so why are we even working on 5g? our efforts should be on 6g

no reason to paint ourselves into a corner. lets go 7g

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
i am going to beat you all by developing “next g”

whatever g you are currently on, mine is always better because it’s the next one, you see

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

heh. “next g+1” checking in. :smug:

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

lol at all u dumb-dumbs working on g, i'm gonna put it in H

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

*punches hole through straw hat*

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I’m working on zed

pram
Jun 10, 2001

President Beep posted:

*punches hole through straw hat*

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

It's so weird how universally despised the telcos are yet somehow we pretend like the next leap in cell tech will not merely result in them leaping over to gently caress us more aggressively

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

hey bro, if it lets me upload my tik toks faster then i could care less

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
The LTE tower by my folks gets roughly the same speeds as their DSL. Coincidence??

5G will fix this tho.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

zoll would eat the galaxy fold bun dog

zoll eats popcorn
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-QbkKNEP2I

goddamnit zoll, you had better clean that poo poo up

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

thebigcow posted:

The LTE tower by my folks gets roughly the same speeds as their DSL. Coincidence??

5G will fix this tho.

It’s unreasonable to hold ur mum’s DSLs up as a standard. She’s a world-renowned master of her craft with decades of experience.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Schadenboner posted:

It’s unreasonable to hold ur mum’s DSLs up as a standard. She’s a world-renowned master of her craft with decades of experience.

goddamn

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

why do they call it 10g?

because 7 8 9. :xd:

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
im waiting for 6.9g

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

*briefcase falls over and a bunch of gs, certainly more than 5, spill out onto the table* oh, these? haha yeah i guess i've got more than i know what to do with

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

jimmyjams posted:

im waiting for 6.9g

n.ice

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

its me i'm the 5g chad

JumpinJackFlash
Nov 15, 2001

So what is the point of mmWave then? This seems useless?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

as backhaul for all the femtocells in every street lamp or whatever is being promised today or as a home internet service.

yes rain fade is a problem but if femtocells are everywhere it won’t be!!!!!

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

JumpinJackFlash posted:

So what is the point of mmWave then? This seems useless?

short range, high density areas. think like football stadiums and times square on NYE

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Visual GNUdio posted:

its me i'm the 5g chad

look at that manspreading piece of poo poo. gently caress that guy.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

neckbeard check
taking 3 lcds to starbucks check
irl smelling so bad green :gas: clouds float beside you and a guy sitting next to you is turning purple check

yospos bitch!

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

short range, high density areas. think like football stadiums and times square on NYE

and most importantly don't think of it as "oh yeah i'm on mmwave sweet performance", but rather "ah neat, my lte is plenty fast/responsive despite the crowd", as reasonable smatterings of mmwave base stations opportunistically unload a good fraction of the heavy users from the very finite bandwidth on the more resilient bands.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Visual GNUdio posted:

its me i'm the 5g chad

lol

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

you would think that people are watching the football game instead of streaming youtubes at the stadium though

I can’t think of any scenario where it is so necessary to provide this bandwidth & latency at all times. maybe in public transportation and trains?

coke
Jul 12, 2009
an actual usage example that was given by a lot of 5g pushers is i poo poo you not, mobile surgery

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/5g-surgery-china-robotic-operation-a8732861.html

quote:

A surgeon in China has performed the world's first remote operation using 5G technology, according to local reports.

The doctor in the southeastern province of Fujian used the next-generation network to control robotic arms in a remote location 30 miles away.

First reported by the South China Morning Post, the surgery was made possible by the extremely low latency of 5G.

Latency occurs when data is sent across a network, either via cables or wirelessly through cell towers, to a device or machine. The higher the latency, the longer those messages take to send.

By lowering the latency to near instantaneous, 5G opens up new possibilities for existing technologies like augmented and virtual reality.

"sorry little timmy died because it started raining outside"

the media is eating this poo poo right up without putting in too much thoughts

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I am not sure how the latency would be better for surgery vs optic fiber which also won't just shut off if it rains or someone's fart cloud gets on the way

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

some towers already use fixed wireless for backhaul, its not like the carriers can't calculate rain fade for point to point installations like that

consumer equipment on the other hand...

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

you would think that for medical emergencies there would be a prioritisation of traffic so that these packets absolutely spend the minimal amount of time on any wireless link

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
“you would think”

lol depends on lil’ timmy’s mums health insurance

“sorry you didn’t pay the extra fee for priority during game of thrones new episode release”