Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
are you going out of your way to use 5g?
yes i want the latest and greatest
no gently caress you
i'll use whatever the se support
View Results

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Anne Frank Funk posted:

5g, here i come!

do you go to mwca per chance? i'll probably go again this year

anyways i think the actual big thing for "5g" is that connections should be much more reliable. the changes on the network side with femto cells everywhere and massive mimo will make it harder to overload networks. on the handset side carrier aggregation should make current bandwidth more reliable and allow better connections when in motion (hence the "5g ambulances" and "5g autonomous cars" things despite cars and ambulances being able to send telemetry since the 90s).
the funny thing is that this is all still LTE, hence AT&T's marketing for their EPC/5GC setup

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Mar 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

echinopsis posted:

so not fundamentally different to lte, but we’ve improved things, and need a marketing term

it turns out "long term evolution" was an accurate name!

5g-nr is the new bands stuff.

theres also going to be unlicensed band stuff under the 5g umbrella (nr-u): https://www.qualcomm.com/news/onq/2018/12/13/3gpp-commits-5g-nr-unlicensed-spectrum-its-next-release

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PleasureKevin posted:

Canada now says they can legally extradite the Huawei exec for breaking a US law while not even in the US.

they have US entities and assets which makes Huawei subject to US law

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

coke posted:

current 5g status, no one loving knows

5g makes it easier to fire up your own private networks using unlicensed or leased licensed spectrum so it can kinda be a thing

also yes you can just go out and buy some spectrum: https://selectspectrum.com/AvailableSpectrum.html

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

an rtl-sdr is like :20bux: if thats all you want and you have a laptop

wait those go to 8ghz, huh thats nifty i guess?

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Mar 5, 2019

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

coke posted:

who knew higher frequency band is garbage for coverage :shrug:

the trick 3gpp is pulling is that lte is a subset of 5G so you can call a 5G network back end that provides lte service 5g. i presume this is how AT&T is technically getting around calling LTE service 5G E.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

President Beep posted:

I’m looking for an experience beyond studio quality. is 5g right for me?

*taps sign*

edit: huh the rare edit is not quote. thanks awful app

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Apr 18, 2019

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

2x2 mimo means 4 antennas, sorry if you expected small phones

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MrMoo posted:

Needs the commercial smarts of not making it reusable though, need to rake in money for each and every drop.

it probably wears out after a couple of drops. just have to say that you "recommend replacement" after each drop

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

no idea why anyone would move on from such an awesome tech as 4g which works without antennas.

the point here is that’s you have to use their 5g-nr antennas, not whatever you wanted to lay out

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

~Coxy posted:

isn't mmWave going to be much more susceptible to antennagate style issues?

maybe we should go back to little antennae on the top that you cal pull out for better reception

thats why massive mimo is always said in the same breath along with the mmWave stuff

still, seems like it'll help mainly with vehicles and fixed broadband and the like

the company i work for does industrial mainly so 5g-nr is basically "uh no that won't work for basically any of our customers". catm/nb is really good in those kinds of environments (2g or better sensitivity) and should see a mass roll out along with 5g

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Apr 21, 2019

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

if mmWave is good for anything it'll be fixed wireless finally giving cable companies some competition

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shaggar posted:

its not gonna go thru walls so that's probably an issue.

mmWave user equipment goes on the outside of buildings like a satellite dish. then unlicensed spectrum can be used inside the premises

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Gnossiennes posted:

but wow itll be great for all the data mining and tiny sensors with a million relays in dense areas so that little ads on store shelves can be marketed directly to you and your emotional state while you're trying to buy some fuckin bread

~iot~

that stuff all uses 900 for unlicensed or 850/700 or whatever the gently caress those bands are for licensed

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I’m sure it’ll be fine, the carriers will be putting up microcells everywhere

https://www.lightreading.com/mobile/5g/5g-and-millimeter-wave-band-challenges/a/d-id/735852

quote:

Received power in dBm = Tx power + Tx antenna gain + Rx antenna gain – path loss – rain fade (est. 2dB/200m) - shadowing loss (20 to 30dB)– foliage loss (10 to 50dB) – atmosphere absorption – terrain /humility -– Fresnel blockage – system margin

Fresnel zone radius (R) = 17.32 x √(d/4f) (d in km, f in GHz)

By examining the above equations, it is obvious that many factors can cripple mmWave links. Link budget is the most important area of focus for any 5G deployment team.

10dB loss per kilometer. it’s fine! microcells will be as ubiquitous as power transformers!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

pointsofdata posted:

99% of the time my 4g speeds seem to be limited by lovely coverage/software, I don't see how 5g is going to improve on this.

*analyst points at street light*: microcell
you: :lol: carriers won't actually do that, you can't just point at everything and claim it'll be a microcell
*analyst points at seagull*: microcell

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

as backhaul for all the femtocells in every street lamp or whatever is being promised today or as a home internet service.

yes rain fade is a problem but if femtocells are everywhere it won’t be!!!!!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

some towers already use fixed wireless for backhaul, its not like the carriers can't calculate rain fade for point to point installations like that

consumer equipment on the other hand...

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Perplx posted:

I wonder how many 5g networks will be "Carrier-grade NAT" ipv4 only

every pdp context on consumer networks in the US I’ve seen is ipv4v6 and are mostly using the ipv6 address already

IOT networks and business networks with VPNs and such still seem to be ipv4 a lot of the time though

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

how about we just all agree on not using the huawei baseband because they're garbage compared to qualcomm

i can't really comment on the nationality thing though because i tell people to buy italian cellular radios as part of my job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

here try this meme