Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
are you going out of your way to use 5g?
yes i want the latest and greatest
no gently caress you
i'll use whatever the se support
View Results

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

As what appears usual for tech things, 5G is a gigantic bag of things that can be ridden like a marketing horse. AT&T already atop with "5G E" being regular LTE but they added more bandwidth to their network.

So many news articles and "professors" are masturbating crazy about new speeds, which almost no one cares about. The new speeds are for metropolitan residents only, so those dialup modem rural lurkers are still no better. For many LTE is already faster than their WiFi and as long as YouTube and Netflix play with no pauses no one will notice, especially as like the slows times I see when reading Google News or whatever are basically due to regular DoS on new links and whatever agency being unable to scale up their servers. Hopefully it will lead to cheaper US data plans, but the high prices there are not really due to technology.

The one big gain I see is that the radio can now go beyond single duplex, thus in metropolitan areas you can actually get service when full bars are showing, instead of being dead in NYC which was common for a long time before they installed new towers anyway.

The chipset side is rather interesting, you have a monopoly from Qualcomm apparently on the latest and greatest, and 3-4 year development gap (according to some news articles) with Intel, Samsung, and allegedly Huawei following. Huawei have absolutely zero products but have gone for the sensible just modify LTE chipset approach in order to support the typical China landscape, but the others targeting millimeter wave, because it is so amazeballs, but leads to physically larger devices, which clearly is going to be an issue.

* Everything quoted is "according to some news articles", idk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Needs the commercial smarts of not making it reusable though, need to rake in money for each and every drop.