Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
are you going out of your way to use 5g?
yes i want the latest and greatest
no gently caress you
i'll use whatever the se support
View Results

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the main issue with 5g is that 4g is so freaking good, very hard to see the use. i use 4g for my home internet these days, solid 40 mbps, ~10ms latency, all rock-solid. the handful of meters of wifi at times involved is more trouble than the 4g.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

just start the 6g thread, its coming

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1098581869233344512
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1098583029713420288

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

wifi is way worse than even ye olde 4G (well, at some reasonable cat) though, so that makes sense

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

no idea why anyone would move on from such an awesome tech as 4g which works without antennas.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

if i understand things correctly the idea of mmWave is to some extent less about a fixed infrastructure and more about setting up very high-bandwidth cells where needed and for special purposes. the easiest example being in an arena, sure any 5% of devices there will fail to connect to the cell because the user is holding it wrong, but those devices will then talk to the LTE-like, which is then perfectly fast because the other 95% are on mmWave.

also no doubt an eye towards just displacing wifi in the home, similarly just betting that most traffic will go mmWave and LTE picks up the slack, and being able to offer a decent price on that seamless experience.

wouldn't buy a 5g phone for many generations yet, but there seems to be a neat flexibility planned out in the standard.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

pointsofdata posted:

99% of the time my 4g speeds seem to be limited by lovely coverage/software, I don't see how 5g is going to improve on this.

well, 600-700MHz deployments with way better coverage at the expense of bandwidth is not strictly a 5g thing, but is looking to happen on a broader scale together with 5g.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

short range, high density areas. think like football stadiums and times square on NYE

and most importantly don't think of it as "oh yeah i'm on mmwave sweet performance", but rather "ah neat, my lte is plenty fast/responsive despite the crowd", as reasonable smatterings of mmwave base stations opportunistically unload a good fraction of the heavy users from the very finite bandwidth on the more resilient bands.