Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

My Pony is the bartender

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I hope the players this season surprise me because the gimmick has me extremely unhyped for tomorrow

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Vernacular posted:

Hard same. That plus I wish they'd do either just returnees or just new players, instead of an awkward mix.

Having said that I'll probably still watch every episode.

:same:

though depending on how bad it gets it may just become "also on while I play a game" instead of just my hard focus

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Good lord Kieth has to be one of the worst castings in a long time

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ApplesandOranges posted:

Also, I'm assuming the lackluster spices vs. fishing kit option was blatantly there to encourage Ron to steal the fishing kit if they'd lost, in which case the other tribe would have gotten spices.

I was hoping he was going to steal their flint in the first episode to deny them fire since his tribe already had it.

Tonight is the last chance he has to use it, right?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

AWarmBody posted:

Yeah, I hate Wardog because of that name. He probably chose the name for himself, too. I just now tried to imagine him with a normal name like Jerry and it was a little better.

Also I think I might be the minority goon in this thread who doesn't like Wendy. I will absolutely love to see the chaos she brings next episode, though!

I liked her the first two weeks but yeah this week was Real Bad and I was hoping she'd get axed.

She's good TV though

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'm gonna keep ogling the pretty ladies and there's nothing you can do to stop me!

I'm not gonna post about it though that's weird.

Having never seen any of the returnees before I definitely like David the most of the four. Joe seems to be the likable challenge beast that you can find every season, Aubry it's hard to judge because no tribal, and Wentworth is ok.

I really hate the gimmick of mixing returning players with new players though because that aspect dominates the show too much imo and doesn't make for good tv.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

xbilkis posted:

That episode ruled. Wendy owns. Ron punking Joe owned, and I loved the "20 minutes earlier" reveal.

And, I cannot believe I'm saying this, but Wardog kind of owns? I am increasingly won over by his combination of "much more thoughtful than you would expect from a man who calls himself Wardog" and "still fundamentally as ridiculous as you'd expect of a man who calls himself Wardog." His thoughtful face as he was hearing everyone's pitches was really doing it for me, and then he followed it up by saying "I'm going to need 15 minutes of Wardog time."

Hell yeah, welcome to the Wardog train. Dude owns and is easily my favorite so far.

Wendy's brand of crazy is getting more annoying by the week. I think y'all saying that her tribe got over it were just seeing what you wanted to see since there wasn't much time spent there.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Propaganda Machine posted:

Hey, nobody cares. Wendy is in a super cool spot at the moment, and these dumb swap tribes never last more than a couple of weeks anyway.

Are you ok

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The Bloop posted:

Big Wendy has actually been a challenge beast overall

yeah if she wasn't so obnoxious about the chickens she'd easily be my favorite player so far this season

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

STAC Goat posted:

We have no idea how much Reem or Keith might have tried to fish or anything else. We just know Chris was successful. Most Survivors just seem woefully unsuccessful at fishing. And Keith can't even swim. Theyre clearly sucky Survivors but not necessarily for lack of effort.

Also I thougt Reem was pretty clearly defending Chris to Keith the morning after he showed how. She said something like "he's just processing it all". They just gave him some light poo poo about being backstabbed considering he had outed them. It seemed pretty good natured to me.

I don't even like them but none of that felt super fair.

Yeah, Keith was the only one who really seemed like he was gatekeeping to me.

Honestly he's up there for worst casting ever for me, he just seems like he's wholly unprepared for the game in literally every aspect.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

STAC Goat posted:

look at Lauren reacting so hard and missing her parents.

Oh this reminds me of something I wanted to chime in on during parents chat but couldn't at the time.

So I live really close to my mom (we actually work at the same place, though we're on different campuses) and also do the "I can go forever without talking to her" thing, but I can absolutely understand how the castaways feel about missing family so quickly, because even though I don't talk to family super often, I can whenever I want to. It's just a short text/e-mail/phone call away and I can talk to them about whatever. But on Survivor that safety net is gone. If you need some emotional support for whatever reason, be it a breakdown all the way down to just wanting to hear their voice, that option is gone. And I think the very first time you feel that need, even if it's one that you might normally brush off and not reach out were you at home, the absence of the ability to call them probably hits really hard.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

lol @ not thinking Wardog is wonderful

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

you can watch me completely lose my mind in one of the survivor games

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

sportsgenius86 posted:

I don't actively dislike him or anything, but if his name wasn't Wardog, nobody would be talking about him because he's done absolutely nothing remarkable.

Wut

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Lone Goat posted:

were you asleep during the episode where he blew up chris' game and shifted the vote to another target?

or the episode where he was the swing vote in a 5 person tribe?

Zero posts between end of feb and yesterday so sleep is a strong possibility

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

STAC Goat posted:

Wardog has obviously made moves but I wouldn't call either of those "remarkable". Being a swing vote isn't an accomplishment. He WAS effectively Chris' undoing but I chalk that up more to Chris screwing that whole thing up and the Wardog: "What do we do?" Wentworth: "We get rid of him!" dynamic. Wardog was certainly meaningful in that he saved Wentworth and doomed Chris but its not what I'd call a power move or resume builder.

That being said despite the fact that I think Wardog is a complete douche and am actively rooting against him I'm worried because he's actually seemed reasonably intelligent and rational in his gameplay. I'm not too worried, though. Even if things go well for him he seems to be banking too much on Wentworth and I think that's gonna backfire on him hard. He'll have a hard time surviving the solo run without a lot of immunity wins or some new alliances, i think. My guess is one of the first jurors. But he doesn't appear to be an idiot so he could play his way through.

Wardog was a swing vote because all four of them trusted him and wanted to work with him, so a little more credit is due there imo.

As far as the second part goes, I think "early juror" makes sense. There's going to be a point where he gets targeted for being a physical threat that's before the point where "resume builders" start getting targeted where he'll be voted out, is my guess.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Bigass Moth posted:

If you say Wardog’s name three times in a mirror he shows up and puts a tiny hat on you.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

STAC Goat posted:

But like, the guy has a Brooklyn Nets tattoo. That's just weird.

Why?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

how dare someone put a tattoo of a thing they love on their body

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Why?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

neither will anything else you get a tattoo of

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

STAC Goat posted:

Honestly, it was just some dumb clowning. This isn't really that serious a subject. I even admitted it was dumbass sports snobbery and just an excuse to laugh at the guy I'm rooting against.

Isn't this the same thing people are mad at Wentworth and Wardog for doing though :thunk:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I think part of it for me is that I just do not understand why people are so enamored with Wendy, and Wardog, who I find genuinely entertaining, gets a lot of the backlash.

Also after finally watching that scene I feel like they were making fun of her dumb stick (which they offered to help replace with a better one before she walked off) more than her injury, though they sort of go together.

e: as far as the tattoo thing goes I think shaming someone for their tattoos is some real old man yells at cloud stuff, especially if you don't know the reason they got it.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Mar 20, 2019

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Zesty posted:

I don't think it's a mystery why you prefer Wardog at all.

Go on

Khanstant posted:

You have the same tattoo, don't you?

I don't have any tattoos

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

AWarmBody posted:

Stop kicking up poo poo, then. It's okay for someone to express a tattoo is dumb without it being bullying. I think Brandon Hantz's tattoos are dumb, are you gonna fight me for two pages?

oof

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

hmmmm....nah

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I wonder who the first person to break and raise the flag will be.

Although as more and more people show up it probably gets easier to hang on.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Fast Luck posted:

i choose to believe you have a ricky rubio tattoo

Only in my heart

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Lone Goat posted:

If you're going to have a meltdown, at least be entertaining about it

:thunk:

Big Taint posted:

Wardog is boring Tony with a dumb nickname and dumber tattoos.

Wendy is cute and nuts and not good at Survivor.

I also hope that cannibalism is the producers’ plan for Expunged Island.

I feel like when we get to the point where they are supposed to come back into the game there's going to be way more people than the producers expected remaining.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

nerox posted:

Or maybe they don't add any extra rice for new people. So maybe it becomes Lord of the Flies :getin:

They should base the daily rice ration on how much other food they gathered the previous day.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The Bloop posted:

in direct or inverse proportion?

I was thinking inverse but direct would actually be pretty great too

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The Bloop posted:

That almost seems most likely at this point

Unless Wendy votes for herself

Can you do that?

She'll find a way

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

BONESAWWWWWW posted:

Ah, the NEE system.

I mean they had a knighthood and everything.

Wardog got a big two hour OOF from me today, and hey it turns out Wendy is more tolerable when she's not being a weirdo about chickens. Still not sad to see her go, not a fan of someone who just refuses to play the game and is just there ~for the experience~, though I did smile at her energy when she was leaving.

Victoria is growing on me, I hope she goes far but it's gonna be a tough sell to win if she makes it to the end.

lmao forever at Reem

xbilkis posted:

Big Wendy is too pure for this cursed game

I hope people band together against the returnees at the merge. David and Joe are not interesting enough to warrant a repeat season, particularly when it's not a full All-Stars and they're crowding out new people for airtime by default

Also I appreciate that Keith is one of the most thoroughly lovely characters that's been on this show in a long time, but in a light fun "Jesus Christ this dude sucks impossibly bad" sort of way and not a "Hmm this person is morally repugnant and should not have been put on television" sort of way. The two Edge of Extinction scenes in this episode pushed him over the top for me and now I'm eager to see what other rear end in a top hat moves he can manage to pull off

Having not seen any of the seasons he was on, I like David. Also agree on Keith, he's already a Duke student he should just embrace the evil.

TASTE THE PAIN!! posted:

Was that a Mets tat I saw on the Wardog?

Would certainly explain all the failure.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Fast Luck posted:

Still laughing the next morning at Wardog’s throwing lmao

He was unbelievably bad in challenges (and social game tbh) last night, it's almost impressive.

social media game on point though

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Fast Luck posted:

Lauren is slowly dying, David is a scrawny nerd, Kelley is concussed, and wardog is more embarrassing than all of them haha

Tbh I think Lauren and Kelley are the top two challenge competitors out of the 4.

I don't think that's even in question anymore lol

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

TMMadman posted:

It sure did seem like Lauren, Dave and Kelly all said "Man, Wardog is annoying and will be impossible to work with later" (or something along those lines) at some point last night, so I was a little surprised that they didn't talk about just about voting Wardog and telling the other tribe at tribal.

I mean they have social flaws in their own ways (Wardog is more annoying imo), but I guess Big Wendy would be more of a challenge threat for individual immunity so it was probably the right move. But I'm still at least surprised that it didn't come up at all.

In this situation you act like you're with him and then if he's up in a tie you just don't go to rocks for him. And if he stays around he's a great shield. He basically appoints himself as the leader of any alliance so he's going to have a target on his back for that. And even though he looks like a physical threat, he's not, so you probably don't really need to worry about him going on an immunity run.

Speaking of going to rocks though, I can't decide if I like it or not that Jeff let them talk before revoting or not.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

STAC Goat posted:

Wendy was the tribe target but she was pushing the "Get Wentworth Out" thing.

David was pushing it, Wendy was just along for the ride.

Everything else is right though

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

STAC Goat posted:

I imagine Kama has its share of weak links too but Joe is such a beast that he covers them. I'm not sure how you balance that out short of putting Malcolm on Manu or something. But yeah, I agree, to some extent Manu drew a bad hand. But I think part of that is also that they drew more strategists and people looking to game out of the gate and cut some throats. That pushed them straight into the game hard and they neglected all the "Tribe" stuff. And I think that took a toll as much as anything else. But yeah, I totally agree there were other factors as well.

But like, they weren't terrible at challenges. Wendy was good, Chris was good, Lauren was good. Wentworth and Wardog seemed to be holding their own until they broke down. But its tough to topple the Joe factor.

I mean, if Aubry had ended up on Manu she probably would have been a hardcore gamer like she wanted. If Wentworth had landed on Kama I imagine she would have done the same deal where she rounded up allies and started painting targets. The way the cards got dealt definitely helped set up the problems, but I do think the actions of the players moved it along and helped make it the disaster it is.

The way I recall it Wendy and Wentworth were at odds from W1 and the Reem vote and Wendy was pushing Wentworth consistently. But I should clarify that yeah, David was the game driving force to make it possible. He just drafted off Wendy's desire to push Wentworth to try and hide his own motivations and agenda. I basically remember it like this:

Wentworth: Wendy is the target, right?
Wardog: Yeah, Wendy.
Lauren: Definitely Wendy.
Chris: For sure, Wendy.
Devins: Yeah.
David: Sure.
Wendy: You guys have to see Wentworth is the problem.
David: You know... I want Wentworth out too. I can use this.
Devins: I'd be down with sending Wentworth out.
David: Hey, Chris, what do you think about taking Wentworth out? Wendy wants to do it and it would be interesting.
Chris: I'd be game.

So yeah, I'm not giving credit to Wendy for making it happen. I'm saying David used her clumsy pushing to try put together the numbers.

I actually went back and pulled it up on my dvr out of curiosity.

Wendy steals the flint. Tribe sends David and Rick to talk to her. David and Rick use that chance to pitch the Wentworth vote to Wendy.

The recap at the start of the episode teased that the three of them had talked about the vote in episode two as well but I couldn't figure out who brought it up to who and didn't want to dig for it, though I think they all were sort of having the same idea anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'm more surprised that Russell hasn't tampered with those at some point.

The fact that they have condoms and birth control is also making me wonder how often contestants actually do it. I mean, you're both gross and there are also people about, constantly, but hey, you do you.

Sounds like they actually do each other :haw:

I would guess it's very infrequent but they have it there just in case.