Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The Promised Neverland is the currently airing anime based on the ongoing manga written by Kaiu Shirai and illustrated by Posuka Demizu (i haven't read it).

It's about three adorable kids being raised in an idyllic orphanage in the countryside with a whole bunch of other children under the loving care of Mom.

Here they are now: Ray, Emma, and Norman

They spend their days running around doing kid stuff, and occasionally taking some really intense tests in their school. Yay!

Only it's not that, not at all.

At the end of the first episode we learn that the children are being raised as very fancy food for some very high class actual, literal demons and once the trio learn of this how they put a plan into action to get them, and all the other children out of there (although, what exactly is out there is an unknown to us and them).

The show so far is extremely tense, every moment and gesture can be layered with meaning and threat (especially from the adults), it has twists and turns that wouldn't be out of place in a novel by master spy-fiction writer John le Carre and it makes great use of framing and general cinematography to help sell the oppressive atmosphere .

Anyway, it's real good and there's no thread so now there is.

Please talk about The Promised Neverland here and please be nice about spoilers if you've read the manga!

Streams available at
Hulu
Funimation
Crunchyroll

a kitten fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Feb 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
I'm glad this got a thread!

Really enjoy how the three main characters work together.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Episode 6

The fake out with Phil made me laugh, but what a brief reprieve that turned out to be.

Hidden messages from outside, but for all we know it's some Emmanuel Goldstein poo poo to lay a trap for those inclined to be curious.

And holy poo poo that ending.

Also, I'm fuckin dying to know more about that plant that had sprouted from Conny's body.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

a kitten posted:

Also, I'm fuckin dying to know more about that plant that had sprouted from Conny's body.
That unfortunately won't get explained this season I think.

Here's the answer if you want to know:
The demons are religious. The plant is a demonic weed that when stuck into a body sucks all the blood out of it and blooms. Basically it's the demon's way of making the kids' meat halal, no poo poo.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Early as hell, but my runner for AOT. It's just so loving good.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
So we're a few episodes in. Do people still consider this a horror series or more of a thriller with supernatural elements?

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Mulderman posted:

So we're a few episodes in. Do people still consider this a horror series or more of a thriller with supernatural elements?

It's more of a prison break series. Apart from in episode 1, there haven't been any supernatural elements onscreen.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Mulderman posted:

Mild amounts of horror, but mostly thriller.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

please do not do this

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

an actual dog posted:

please do not do this
If you're watching the anime only hoping for it you'd have to wait over a year, year and a half at a minimum.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Fabricated posted:

If you're watching the anime only hoping for it you'd have to wait over a year, year and a half at a minimum.

I don't give a poo poo, this is the anime thread. If someone really wants to know they'll read the manga!

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

an actual dog posted:

I don't give a poo poo, this is the anime thread. If someone really wants to know they'll read the manga!
the op literally spoils the main premise and big reveal of the series

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

For a show that's been running for weeks! Not even remotely the same.

Also, I asked and you answered in tags, which is totally fine! Less fine is "thing won't (or will) happen this season"

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

a kitten posted:

For a show that's been running for weeks! Not even remotely the same.

Also, I asked and you answered in tags, which is totally fine! Less fine is "thing won't (or will) happen this season"
Yeah sorry about that. The only reason I answered was that the answer was almost certainly not coming for a very, VERY long time in anime terms.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Man non-spoilers about inconsequential things make people ill.

This is a good anime, I hope for a second season

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Namtab posted:

Man non-spoilers about inconsequential things make people ill.

This is a good anime, I hope for a second season

Eh. It's a pretty big reveal in a way, but right from the get go you KNOW there's some weird going on just from the number tags on their necks ALONE. Not to mention its been over 5 weeks at this point so it's not some big shocking reveal anymore.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Episode 7

Oh of goddamn course the Moms come from the ranks of the orphans.

[edit]

Man, i had a whole post i started working on as i was watching this, but really it all comes down to: we sure learned a lot, or at least some unknown unknowns are now known unknowns. And now there's a chance that Mama is also in some way on the human's side as many of her actions can now have (even more) meanings assigned to them. i.e. I'm showing you the compass because you are trackable and have no chance to escape, or i'm showing you the compass because i want you to know you are trackable and you have to take that into account.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
I was hoping we wouldn't see any more of Krone's weird doll. Actually her whole depiction just creeps me out. I know that's the point, but it also has this racial tinge to it that just makes me uncomfortable even apart from all that.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Agronox posted:

I was hoping we wouldn't see any more of Krone's weird doll. Actually her whole depiction just creeps me out. I know that's the point, but it also has this racial tinge to it that just makes me uncomfortable even apart from all that.

Why?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

She's a wee bit close to mammy caricatures.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Ouch.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

itadakimasu

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I'm still kind of unsure how I feel about Krone's overall portrayal in this show, but I will say that her flashback this week was really well composed and effective, IMO.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Spiritus Nox posted:

I'm still kind of unsure how I feel about Krone's overall portrayal in this show, but I will say that her flashback this week was really well composed and effective, IMO.

Pretty sad to watch the joy drain from her face as time goes by.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Agronox posted:

Pretty sad to watch the joy drain from her face as time goes by.

I was really struck by these two shots and the progression between them, myself:

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Are they still doing like one chapter per episode?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Are they still doing like one chapter per episode?

Except for episode 1 they never did that.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Hey manga people, speaking of inconsequential spoilers, I'm curious about something:

Is there any reason that the potential Moms are given combat training? I mean... They probably need to be fit to handle so many brats, sure, but something about it strikes me as weird.

Was it just part of the montage to show the kind of stuff they go through, or does it actually factor into things that happen later? No elaboration in particular necessary, just curious as to whether it was stylistic or substantive

also between Ise Mariya as Ray and Baby Krone looking like Canary this show keeps giving me HxH flashbacks

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Strong cronch.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

OnimaruXLR posted:

Hey manga people, speaking of inconsequential spoilers, I'm curious about something:

Is there any reason that the potential Moms are given combat training? I mean... They probably need to be fit to handle so many brats, sure, but something about it strikes me as weird.

i feel like this episode gave the exact reason you'd want them to know how to break someone's leg

:ohdear:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Cephas posted:

i feel like this episode gave the exact reason you'd want them to know how to break someone's leg

:ohdear:

I was watching this show with my wife and she was confused why they had such serious combat training until that loud CRACK and she was like 'jesus loving christ'

this show pulls no punches and it owns

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
i looked back at the combat training they show, and it looks more or less like what you'd see in a Japanese high school judo club. It's a short clip of the prospective mamas gripping each other's uniforms, a shot where someone uses a foot sweep and pushes Krone to the floor, and then a shot of Krone doing a takedown where she has them in maybe an armbar while doing the typical karate thing where you do a single symbolic punch once they're on the floor to show that you took them down.

basically it's probably a good way to keep the mamas physically capable of keeping up with children who are running around all day, and gives them a way to handle a group of unskilled 12 year olds if they ever had to. You could imagine how, if the mamas didn't have physical training, a boy like Don could be a possible problem.

if you compare Krone's unarmed training sequence to how she wildly swings that knife around, it seems like unarmed combat is probably the most they figured a mama would need. they're probably not supersoldiers

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
How many grade schoolers could you beat up

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
phil would gently caress me up bad

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Phil is the mightiest warrior in the multiverse IMO

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer
If we can assume the demons have been farming humans for at least a few generations, then they've had enough learning curve to work the bugs out of the system, like training moms in self defense. Judo as a martial art was designed specifically to be gentle, which is perfect for incapacitating valuable merchandise without lowering its value. I think this is also why they don't raise children past 12 unless they're the girls selected to be moms; adults would yield more meat, but they're physically much harder to contend with and the literal geniuses will figure out the ruse and plot their escape, just like what we're seeing now.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Also judo doesn't seem super effective against giant demons.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Norman you loving dipshit

You couldn't figure out any other way to let the others no "HEY THE OTHER SIDE OF THE WALL'S GONNA BE A BIGGER PROBLEM THAN WE THOUGHT" without just walking right back into Mom's clutches? Self-martyring idiot.

Show's real good, character acting has been extremely on point for a few weeks now.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Spiritus Nox posted:

Norman you loving dipshit

You couldn't figure out any other way to let the others no "HEY THE OTHER SIDE OF THE WALL'S GONNA BE A BIGGER PROBLEM THAN WE THOUGHT" without just walking right back into Mom's clutches? Self-martyring idiot.

Show's real good, character acting has been extremely on point for a few weeks now.

Also, like... couldn't they just break Norman's arm? And I guess Ray's for good measure, just to be sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Can't damage the goods too much, I guess