Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Spiritus Nox posted:

Norman you loving dipshit

You couldn't figure out any other way to let the others no "HEY THE OTHER SIDE OF THE WALL'S GONNA BE A BIGGER PROBLEM THAN WE THOUGHT" without just walking right back into Mom's clutches? Self-martyring idiot.

Show's real good, character acting has been extremely on point for a few weeks now.

Spoiler stuff, but feel free to PM me about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Man, I kinda didn't watch a bunch of the anime yet and just got caught up but wow was removing literally all of the inner monologues a really bad decision.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I've been enjoying the anime, but the whole no infantile amnesia thing is really stupid.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I've been enjoying the anime, but the whole no infantile amnesia thing is really stupid.

He's a genius kid, him being a weirdo with a perfect memory, makes about as much sense as a lot of things in the series.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

He's a genius kid, him being a weirdo with a perfect memory, makes about as much sense as a lot of things in the series.

Like how did Norman get down?

These sorts of plot details generally don't matter, but a prison break story kind of needs to get them right, or at least reasonably so.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Agronox posted:

These sorts of plot details generally don't matter, but a prison break story kind of needs to get them right, or at least reasonably so.

That's not what I was talking about.

As for how Norman got down, He had a rope.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Agronox posted:

The wall wasn't all that high. He could lower himself on his hands and drop.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Spiritus Nox posted:

Norman you loving dipshit

You couldn't figure out any other way to let the others no "HEY THE OTHER SIDE OF THE WALL'S GONNA BE A BIGGER PROBLEM THAN WE THOUGHT" without just walking right back into Mom's clutches? Self-martyring idiot.

Show's real good, character acting has been extremely on point for a few weeks now.

I figure the whole thing was a trap and Norman isn't actually getting shipped out. Mama just wanted to lure them into using any trump cards they had to save Norman ie the mechanism for breaking the tracking devices. He also read Krone's letter which god knows what it could say

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I wonder if Grandma and Isabelle are secretly trying to groom children to start a rebellion against the demons. Grandma having Krone taken out for getting in Isabelle's way seems pretty extreme if all they were invested in was a smooth farming operation--outside of just "I like Isabelle more than you for arbitrary reasons," one has to assume that Isabelle is somehow instrumental to Grandma in a way that Krone wouldn't be.

On the flip side Isabelle has given the kids a lot of valuable information about the state of the world just by playing their spy games together. She has moments where she genuinely seems to love the kids, and she was basically forced to become a Mom or die, so her operating as a double agent wouldn't be that hard to fathom. if you look at things like her revealing the tracking device, letting norman climb the wall, and even cleanly breaking emma's leg, they can all be viewed as hints in the disguise of hostility.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

That's where my thoughts have been trending as well, but snapping Emma's leg has put some strain on the idea for me.

Like, I can still make that action fit the concept but drat it was brutal. (helped in no small part by Emma's actress's cry of pain).

a kitten fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Mar 9, 2019

superLINUS
Sep 28, 2005

"The real tragedy happened long before I came along"
I had to break my own rule and check a character’s status in the manga because this episode had TOO MUCH PERIL!

Chet Rippo
Jul 25, 2011

anyone know what the episode names mean?

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

My guess is that they are dates.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Definitely dates, you sometimes see a calendar on rhe wall, and the date matches the episode title.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I am one episode from being caught up and my current opinion is someone clearly cares a lot about making sure this manga gets a good adaptation, it's got budget and nothing about it seems half-assed. The characters and the art are all super cute and charming and contrast beautifully with the overall tone of the show.

But, as someone who has not read the manga, there's just something off about it. The kids are all genre savvy in the extreme and able to pinpoint some really out-there poo poo for kids who have presumably grown up their whole lives within the confines of the orphanage - almost like hypothetically if they met a vampire but had never heard of vampires before they would accurately surmise its traditional weaknesses through like 5 minutes of brainstorming. The intrigue about who knows what and who's on which side is also funny. The kids accurately guess the motivations of the adults but also the adults know the kids want to escape, and it's just kind of a stalemate of each side pretending "you don't know that I know that you know that I know (...)". And granted this seems to have come to a head after the most recent episode I watched, but it gave the first half dozen episodes a feeling of spinning its wheels and going nowhere.

I do like it and plan to keep watching, even if it lost my GF's interest, but it hasn't yet grabbed me the way the first season of say Attack on Titan did, as far as "wtf is going on in this setting" premises go.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
the thing that bugs me is how the lack of inner monologue makes some scenes more affecting and some scenes much less so, but that's mostly because I KNOW what they're thinking from the manga.

Norman's emotional breakdown when he goes to get Emma some water is way more powerful in the manga because Emma's look of sheer panic/existential terror is clearer, and how she's hanging onto him because she knows he's still alive in that moment and doesn't want him to go. Norman breaks down because he can tell how terrified she is of his impending death and he breaks down because he desperately wants to live. There's something TO it being all done quietly in the anime but Norman's resolve finally breaking because he's just a little kid and repeating in his head "I want to live! I want to live! I want to live!", and Emma having a vision of Norman dead in the back of a truck like Conny is a lot more striking than what happens in the anime.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer

Deified Data posted:

But, as someone who has not read the manga, there's just something off about it. The kids are all genre savvy in the extreme and able to pinpoint some really out-there poo poo for kids who have presumably grown up their whole lives within the confines of the orphanage...

It's more apparent in the manga just because of the cover of volume 2 (no spoilers, the show is past that point): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078JW9KSN/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1
The kids all have access to a decent-sized library in the house with books all about the outside world, which is presumably how they know about cars, fashion, demons (mythological ones, not the ones eating them), physics, and so on. Phil told Emma about finding a book on Morse code, Conny mentioned looking forward to wearing pretty clothing, and Ray is almost never seen sitting outside without a book. Maybe it's a contrived way to assume the kids already know as much as the reader, but it would get old really fast watching them struggle with stuff like "what is this big self-powered rolling machine" and "where does bread come from" while also having to explain how Ray figured out how to make a device that can disable the tracking devices.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Lets also not forget that Norman, Ray and Emma are literal genius kids who get 100% on every Knowledge test they are given.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
A fan poll thing for the current season:

So yeah, Norman, Ray, whatever... but look at our boy down there at #9! :haw:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Cephas posted:

I wonder if Grandma and Isabelle are secretly trying to groom children to start a rebellion against the demons. Grandma having Krone taken out for getting in Isabelle's way seems pretty extreme if all they were invested in was a smooth farming operation--outside of just "I like Isabelle more than you for arbitrary reasons," one has to assume that Isabelle is somehow instrumental to Grandma in a way that Krone wouldn't be.

On the flip side Isabelle has given the kids a lot of valuable information about the state of the world just by playing their spy games together. She has moments where she genuinely seems to love the kids, and she was basically forced to become a Mom or die, so her operating as a double agent wouldn't be that hard to fathom. if you look at things like her revealing the tracking device, letting norman climb the wall, and even cleanly breaking emma's leg, they can all be viewed as hints in the disguise of hostility.

As of this episode. I think you would agree this does not seem likely.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

MonsterEnvy posted:

I mean, it seems fairly obvious to me that she let Norman live. Add to that her line about being happy to have met someone like Norman, and it still seems pretty likely

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

MonsterEnvy posted:

If anything, it made me more convinced. I think it was Isabelle who climbed up onto the wall in the flashback in the previous episode. So when she's speaking with Norman and says "I knew you wouldn't run away," and that she was "happy to meet someone like him," you could take that in a certain way...

Norman climbed the wall, and instead of trying to have a futile solo escape, he climbed back down and used the information he gained to try to rescue everyone. If you take the line of reasoning that Isabelle is secretly trying to dismantle the system, you could read her dialogue as meaning "Norman, you climbed the wall, saw the same things I did, and came to the same conclusion as me: that you should try to use the knowledge you gained to help everyone else escape. Everything I've done up to now has been worth it to meet someone like you, who shares my ambitions." This would fit with her leading Norman into a secret room instead of having him shipped out to become demon food. Becoming a Mama and sacrificing several lives to the system for the sake of a long-term revolt isn't a new idea in the show either--it's exactly what Ray has been doing his whole life.

The other thing that scene with her and Norman reveals is that she has a lot of insight into how Norman, Ray, and Emma think and feel. When she says "I knew you wouldn't run away," it implies that she has a strong understanding of how they'd react to things. So when Isabelle goes into Emma' room and tells her "give in to your despair and suffering. Why not just become like me?", she's saying it as reverse psychology. She knows that hearing those things from her will make Emma have the opposite reaction--they'll just inflame her even more (which seems to be the case). If Isabelle knows the kids as well as she claims she does, she knows that the idea of Emma selling out her family's lives like Isabelle does would fill her with disgust. Instead of trying to break Emma's will, I think Isabelle's trying to encourage her to rebel.

basically i think Mama is The Boss and Emma is Naked Snake lol

if i'm sniffing up the wrong tree i'll be happy because it just means the show can continue to surprise me like it has been doing every episode. maybe this is just some defense mechanism because i don't want all these cute babies to get eaten :ohdear:

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
a cute scene

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

So where will people want to start the manga after this season?

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Maera Sior posted:

So where will people want to start the manga after this season?

Start at the beginning. Won't take that long and adds some depth.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

TheLawinator posted:

Start at the beginning. Won't take that long and adds some depth.

What if I want skip past the racist caricature parts?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Maera Sior posted:

Finally someone says it. I thought I was going crazy.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Maera Sior posted:

It's way less of a thing in the manga but should be done by chapter 27.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

Agronox posted:

a cute scene

:kimchi: norman's eyebrows and emma's chocobo hair are powerful and cute

AnoHito posted:

Finally someone says it. I thought I was going crazy.

Most of the time she was on the screen I was like what are they doing with this character? Like a theatrically crazy black maid? I assume that most of her weirder bits in the anime were the studio thinking they needed more physical emoting going on instead of staying inside the characters' thoughts all the time, but it comes off as completely bewildering, especially with a character whose design inherently raises a red flag. And the repeated zoom-ins on her decrepit doll, with spooky sound effects, was just like, okay I get it, you want the black woman and her black doll to be scary. Stop. It also doesn't help that her name is like literally Black Sister?

I felt like they at least landed her flashback at least--it was the point where she felt like her own character.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Cephas posted:

It also doesn't help that her name is like literally Black Sister?

I thought her name was a reference to maid/mother/crone

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
Oh man, idk. I was kinda weirded out because her name literally has "Kuro" in it and that seemed like an unfortunate thing an anime might do. But the wiki says her name is just the German word for Crown (bc she wants to usurp Isabelle's throne).

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
After we see the flashback, I think we're supposed to see Krone as a victim of this horrific system that pushes her to the brink of insanity; problem is, from American eyes at least, she falls into the prevalent and negative stereotype of being a crazy, mannish, over-athletic black woman, and until we get that flashback she's just the stereotype.

I don't think it was intentional on the mangaka or animators' parts, but it's uncomfortable.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I was kind of uncomfortable with Krone when I first started watching and so I looked up how she's depicted in the manga, and well, it doesn't seem like she's less of a racist caricature there either.

I loved how they depicted her in the flashback and wish they'd been able to pull that off more for her adult version. They make Mom seem menacing without dehumanizing her nearly as much.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Drawing her like that was never not intentional. You can say "That's how black people are drawn in manga/anime," but I can point to manga where black people aren't drawn like racist caricatures.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Yea I was thinking since a lot of proportions get warped in the manga that it was less than it was, but I was really just excusing things.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Maera Sior posted:

Drawing her like that was never not intentional. You can say "That's how black people are drawn in manga/anime," but I can point to manga where black people aren't drawn like racist caricatures.

That's a good point, especially considering even within this show Don and Phil have dark skin and aren't portrayed as stereotypes.

Consider my other post withdrawn.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

For the record, I'm really enjoying the show and Krone's a ridiculously compelling character, it just makes me super unhappy that I have to attach a giant asterisk when recommending it.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Agronox posted:

After we see the flashback, I think we're supposed to see Krone as a victim of this horrific system that pushes her to the brink of insanity; problem is, from American eyes at least, she falls into the prevalent and negative stereotype of being a crazy, mannish, over-athletic black woman, and until we get that flashback she's just the stereotype.

I don't think it was intentional on the mangaka or animators' parts, but it's uncomfortable.

That is always such a weak argument. Believe it or not, other countries are just as capable of being racist as America. Even the excuse of it being a different cultural context is bullshit 99% of the time, and there is almost always a history of the racist thing being a racist thing for the country in question too. Just because a thing is more likely to be called out in America doesn't make something more benign.

Seizon
Oct 10, 2011

The mangaka definitely chuckled to himself as he made an Other Language pun with the japanese word for "black sister" and i think that's something you've got to accept about the material

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
The author wanted to make sister Krone creepy. Problem is that he actually gave her some pretty well defined black features (which is actually nice, she looks undoubtedly black unlike most other characters in the show that are of your typical stylized anime race) but then decided to accentuate those features to hell and back when trying to make her creepy, which is totally racist.

Her same design could have worked perfectly otherwise. You don't see Isabella growing a huge pointy nose when she's being intimidating or creepy.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Mar 18, 2019