Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Second season will be interesting. There's a couple very good characters in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

a kitten posted:

I was trying to remember: have we seen any adult men, whether in the flashbacks or shown guarding the gate or something?

Krone hinted at a nebulous "him" that exists, who I suspect is a human adult man. Also someone has to be helping make all these children...

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

AnoHito posted:

Krone hinted at a nebulous "him" that exists, who I suspect is a human adult man. Also someone has to be helping make all these children...

Speaking of - I wonder who's Ray's father? I mean, heck, how did that happen in general? I thought Krone told us specifically that Mom candidates get sterilized, and she sure didn't mention anything about being allowed or required to give birth before hand.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Spiritus Nox posted:

Speaking of - I wonder who's Ray's father? I mean, heck, how did that happen in general? I thought Krone told us specifically that Mom candidates get sterilized, and she sure didn't mention anything about being allowed or required to give birth before hand.

I'm almost positive Isabella or Krone said exactly that, but it's not impossible that i just inferred it.

AnoHito posted:

Possible. I was leaning towards a Satan-ish big boss, but could be way off track.

Which ties into another thing i'm very curious to see expanded on going forward: are these child-eaters actual supernatural demons, like with magic of some kind. Or a weird race from somewhere that just look (and act) monstrous, but are otherwise solely grounded in the mundane world. So far nothing has even implied the former, other than what they're called, but i can't rule it out entirely since we've only gotten a few glimpses of them.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

This is totally unrelated to the ongoing conversation, but I have a pet theory that TPN actually takes place way further into the future than 2045 or whatever the presented calendar date is. As far as evidence goes, the current serial numbers seem really high considering the relatively small gap between Mother and the current generation. (Note that the serial numbers are written backwards--there was a reddit post about it.)

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

I actually assumed that Mothers had a child as part of their training, based on Krone's reaction to her doll and Isabella's genuine affinity for small children. There's no better way to find the best candidates than make them go through it themselves, and it also keeps the system going.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Yeah i finally tracked it down. Episode 10 "Become an adult, have a child, and if they approve of your abilities, you can come back to this house as a Mom or a Sister."

e:
god that's so hosed up

a kitten fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Mar 29, 2019

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
What chapter does this episode end on?

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
It ends on chapter 37. If you're planning on reading the manga, I'd reading from the start anyway as there are some plot elements that haven't been focused on in the anime due to the 1 cour runtime.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
I went back to confirm. Episode 8 has the show's only adult male, and he's cooperating with the demons. Given Krone's reaction, it doesn't seem like the sisters and men interact at all.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Well huh, look at that. So many tantalizing hints about the nature of the world.

At the very least, I'm gonna have to read the manga to the same point.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Can Of Worms posted:

It was announced as the final arc.

While not untrue, this arc could take a while.

a kitten posted:

Yeah i finally tracked it down. Episode 10 "Become an adult, have a child, and if they approve of your abilities, you can come back to this house as a Mom or a Sister."

e:
god that's so hosed up

Yeah Isabella talked about it to Emma and yeah it's all of the hosed up psychologically.

a kitten posted:

I'm almost positive Isabella or Krone said exactly that, but it's not impossible that i just inferred it.

Possible. I was leaning towards a Satan-ish big boss, but could be way off track.

Which ties into another thing i'm very curious to see expanded on going forward: are these child-eaters actual supernatural demons, like with magic of some kind. Or a weird race from somewhere that just look (and act) monstrous, but are otherwise solely grounded in the mundane world. So far nothing has even implied the former, other than what they're called, but i can't rule it out entirely since we've only gotten a few glimpses of them.

Legit curios about all of this myself. My pet theory is either aliens or Extradimensional.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Do I wait a year or read the manga. Someone make this decision for me, and then I can finally ignore that and know my true feelings by my reaction to that decision.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Toalpaz posted:

Do I wait a year or read the manga. Someone make this decision for me, and then I can finally ignore that and know my true feelings by my reaction to that decision.

I read the manga because I am weak.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Spiritus Nox posted:

I read the manga because I am weak.

I read it somewhere around episode 3. No regrets.

Did you mind the tone shift from thriller to shonen action? I enjoyed it but apparently quite a few manga readers did not.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Agronox posted:

Did you mind the tone shift from thriller to shonen action? I enjoyed it but apparently quite a few manga readers did not.

I thought it basically worked, although obviously the later material loses some focus now that the kids have lost the overriding singular goal of "WE HAVE TO GET THE gently caress OUT BEFORE THEY EAT US." The action scenes are still very cerebral and scheming and focused on characters trying to outmaneuver each other, and I thought Leuvis was a great charismatic villain during Goldy Pond, so I don't have any super huge complaints there.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Why are you having conversations about the manga in the anime thread

Argh

There is literally a manga thread

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
I didn’t know there was one.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Haven't yet read the manga. I see the demons merely as humans who have "ascended" to a higher form of cruelty. From what we can see, they are quite comprehensible. No more, no less.

They form hierarchies. They form organizations. They engage in trade and negotiation. They dominate others. Everything humans do, except they see themselves as owning a monopoly of force over humans, and can therefore exploit them at will.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Just stumbled onto this the other day and really enjoyed it (minus Krone because wtf, there's no way that caricature isn't intentional when you contrast her against Isabella). I want to jump into the manga. Is rereading the beginning (what's covered by the anime) *necessary* for continuing onward? A lot of times threads get dropped in adaptation but I also REALLY want to skip Krone if possible.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I'm pretty sure you can just go.straigjt into.the manga, I don't remember anything significant getting dropped in the anime.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

e: The anime thread, removing.

rannum fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jan 8, 2021

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Two new short stories were posted recently; first one is a Krone flashback and the second one is about Isabella.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Season 2 trailer (no English subtitles)

https://twitter.com/yakuneba_staff/status/1340558099522834433?s=21

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Season two is here! Streaming in the US on Funimation and Hulu.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

e: This was the anime thread

rannum fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jan 8, 2021

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
Great premiere.

This show is such a stressful watch. Eagerly anticipating 25 minutes of extreme discomfort every Thursday this season.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

A few days after the premier seems like a strange time to drop the trailer, but that's what they did. I should mention that it's probably a little more spoiler-filled then some may like, if I had to guess it's stuff we'll learn in the second episode, but I don't want to ruin anything for anyone who has different feelings about spoilers than I do.

It has me pretty drat hyped though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXNXOsZqc28

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
Second episode out now and goddamn I can't get enough of this Horror/Fantasy/Slice-of-Life stuff, just make every episode a weird Little House on the Demon Prairie where the sweet innocent children hang out with the giant 12 foot tall flesh rending demon and he teaches them life lessons through good, old fashioned hard work.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
There was a lot of great world building this episode.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

theblackw0lf posted:

There was a lot of great world building this episode.

I've been dying for an episode like this from the beginning and it in no way disappointed

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

The third episode sure had an ending that caused me more anxiety than any anime ever in my life. The entire time the kids were running in the, uh, bunker and being all joyful I just kept thinking "god drat fools this is a honey trap or you'll somehow attract attention be more careful". And then that scene happened :stare: And then you answer the phone without any consultation or thought as the horror show of a room gets simultaneously discovered. :ughh:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I'm more interested in how they're going to loop back to Sonju's little spiel when they parted ways. Cause that's not going to have long term repercussions or anything running interference like that. :v:

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Aaand with this episode I've become an anime only since I stopped reading the manga more or less at this point and they reshuffled things a lot. Didn't expect that.

After episode 3 I thought that maybe, since Neverland is mostly mystery and horror, they decided to troll manga readers and sweep the rug from under their feet. I'm curious to see how it turns out

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I just now learned that before the season even started airing they said it was going to be an "original scenario" supervised by the author of the manga, so essentially everyone is anime only!

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Big fan of the Fuller Cut of the new theme music towards the end of this latest ep---I can only hope it continues to grow as the gains from the second(?) time now it has been brought forth were real.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I am confused now. I don't care about the manga, and it was obvious something was up with the addition group of fully covered oni following them, but wth? That was not a reveal I was expecting.

I wonder where they're going with this now that there has been another time skip and now Isabella has had a year to hunt them down herself. It is kind of funny though. After the initial retrieval attempt failed, it's hilarious how obvious it was that the oni bureaucracy cut their loses and just gave the job to Isabella to keep her busy with the off chance she actually succeeds.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
The episode this week is a recap apparently. I'm starting to wonder how bumpy the production of this season was/is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
They added the Lambda team to the OP. :v:

This was wholly a set-up episode. So, it'll be interesting to see where they go with it. The fact that the demons also apparently experiment on humans into their upper teens changes the dynamic of the system a bit too.