Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

AlternateNu posted:

They added the Lambda team to the OP. :v:
They look like they've walked in from completely different show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sana-kan
Nov 6, 2009
I'm anime only, and watching episode 6 feels like a bunch of stuff got skipped and we're thrust into end game territory. Norman's explanation of where he's been was the biggest telling, no showing ever. Just, "ok, here's where the plot is going now". Also these Lambda characters don't look right for this anime? where did that girl get clothes like that? I'm thinking I'm going to drop the anime and just read the manga because this really looks like a mess.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Sana-kan posted:

I'm anime only, and watching episode 6 feels like a bunch of stuff got skipped and we're thrust into end game territory. Norman's explanation of where he's been was the biggest telling, no showing ever. Just, "ok, here's where the plot is going now". Also these Lambda characters don't look right for this anime? where did that girl get clothes like that? I'm thinking I'm going to drop the anime and just read the manga because this really looks like a mess.

If memory serves me right...they skipped about 4-6 volumes of stuff on top of of rewriting several scenes(underground forest, farewell with Mujika, the bunker, the raid) so yeah I advice picking up the manga as well. Chapter 37 should be around where Season 1 left off and be a good starting point.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
At first I thought it's a shame they just got Norman recite all the events, but he ends up being almost an antagonistic figure by the end of the episode, I'm curious if they'll resolve it quickly next episode or if something more'll come of it. And if that's the case, then having Norman tell his story kinda works because the audience is as unsure as Emma and Ray of what he's real deal is.

I might be too optimistic but I'm still giving this show a chance. I can always read the manga later

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Forgall posted:

They look like they've walked in from completely different show.

Well they did, the girl's outfit is literally the outfit from the main character in Steven Universe it's a gag

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I can't believe I never saw that before.

So it seems like they're (manga stuff) dropping all the weird god promise stuff and now the portals are maintained by technology? I guess that actually makes sense, it felt kind of out of place and wasn't really important to the narrative except for what ends up happening to Emma.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Feb 26, 2021

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I'm going to take a guess that pretty much everything put out this episode from Norman and the Lambda team slowly dying (and becoming secondary antagonists) to the portal at Grace Field to Minerva's entire cell already being annihilated is different from the manga.

I'll say it. I liked this episode a lot and am interested to see where they go with it. I'm just wondering how they're going to weave Isabella back in to all this.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AlternateNu posted:

I'm going to take a guess that pretty much everything put out this episode from Norman and the Lambda team slowly dying (and becoming secondary antagonists) to the portal at Grace Field to Minerva's entire cell already being annihilated is different from the manga.

I'll say it. I liked this episode a lot and am interested to see where they go with it. I'm just wondering how they're going to weave Isabella back in to all this.

No thats all the same. We just knew more. Like who destroyed the cell

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Yeah they haven't actually changed much, just cut a ton.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
A lot of this last episode felt like a series of asspulls. But, meh.

At least the OP is a banger. Song gets me pumped.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
Yeah, this latest episode felt insanely convenient. Especially the part where the pen just so happened to have the cure written on it. If it showed where they could get it that'd have been one thing, but it just being there was a bit much.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Turns out "an original scenario supervised by the creator" meant "we told the creator to cut it down until it fit in one season."

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also turns out the ending was the Manga's ending but worse in everyway.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

wait did they even do the 6 walls scene in the anime?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Futaba Anzu posted:

wait did they even do the 6 walls scene in the anime?

Nope just a montage of cool stuff from the manga in about a minute. Like the Demon Queen, God and his dragon, other humans, Mujika becoming the new queen, Sonju helping them despite the fact he has no reason to in the anime.

We also got Peter Ratiri's backstory despite the fact he only showed up like an episode ago rather then being a notable antagonist for a while like he was in the manga and so it made sense to show his backstory.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
I would be insanely curious to hear about what went on during the production of this season. Otherwise I have no idea how you could go from season one to...this. I am actually kind of flabbergasted at how badly they shat the bed on this, especially with the first season being so well received. You don't go from a faithful adaptation of the first arc to glossing over the ending and the main villains with a PowerPoint presentation, and to not even leave open the possibility of a third season, just loving ENDED IT if things were going fine on the production side. It's also super clear no one wanted their name attached to those last episodes.

Because oof

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Mar 26, 2021

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Fabricated posted:

Second season will be interesting. There's a couple very good characters in it.

this post did not age well at all

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

mabels big day posted:

Good username/post combo though.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

mabels big day posted:

Feels bad man

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Happy Landfill posted:

I would be insanely curious to hear about what went on during the production of this season. Otherwise I have no idea how you could go from season one to...this. I am actually kind of flabbergasted at how badly they shat the bed on this, especially with the first season being so well received. You don't go from a faithful adaptation of the first arc to glossing over the ending and the main villains with a PowerPoint presentation, and to not even leave open the possibility of a third season, just loving ENDED IT if things were going fine on the production side. It's also super clear no one wanted their name attached to those last episodes.

Because oof

It's genuinely intriguing. Who gave the order to make the show like this and what were they thinking? Under what kind of logic does it sound like a good idea to adapt 150 chapters in 11 episodes? Especially when s1 did so well earlier by adapting 30ish chapters! The premise itself is completely unsalvageable idea. It's baffling that anyone would put money into making an adaptation like this. It both makes for a bad anime and also spoils the manga enough that people won't want to buy that either.

I was watching until the end thinking they would pull some kind of twist and set up s3 as some kind of Rebuild of Promised Neverland, but no, it's just a montage of like 30 manga chapters (which were already unsatisfyingly rushed) in a handful of minutes. It's genuinely difficult to believe this was greenlit at all.

Maybe they were told halfway through that s3 would never happen and the staff improvised this ending, figuring it was better than not animating the finale at all but... Uh... Sometimes nothing is better than something.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I'm pretty sure what happened is that some important decision makers saw the mixed-ish reaction to the manga's ending and figured that there wouldn't be enough interest in the IP to make a profit making Neverland anime for the next 3 years or whatever it would take to finish a straight-up adaptation and simply mandated that it all be wrapped up with this one. From there, there's simply not any obvious good solution from a writing perspective.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Spiritus Nox posted:

I'm pretty sure what happened is that some important decision makers saw the mixed-ish reaction to the manga's ending and figured that there wouldn't be enough interest in the IP to make a profit making Neverland anime for the next 3 years or whatever it would take to finish a straight-up adaptation and simply mandated that it all be wrapped up with this one. From there, there's simply not any obvious good solution from a writing perspective.

Yeah, I think it's likely that the production committee decided that they would only fund one more season, and had certain directives that the staff had to meet, which lead to the awful adaptation decisions that they chose.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Julias posted:

Yeah, I think it's likely that the production committee decided that they would only fund one more season, and had certain directives that the staff had to meet, which lead to the awful adaptation decisions that they chose.

And like the part I want to emphasize here is that it's kind of unfair (if things unfolded basically how I suggested, which they might not have!) to even say that this is what the staff "chose". Like I said, if there really was a mandate from the production committee or other moneymen to end the story in one season I don't know that there were ever any feasible options that weren't pretty bad at best.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

What I don't get about the committee having little faith in the manga's story is... Why order a second season made at all? It wouldn't be the first anime series to be only a partial adaptation. At least those get people to buy the source material to see how it ends.

Maybe it was someone's pet project. Like a producer really wanted to see more TPN animated but could only negotiate one season and that led them to... This.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Spiritus Nox posted:

And like the part I want to emphasize here is that it's kind of unfair (if things unfolded basically how I suggested, which they might not have!) to even say that this is what the staff "chose". Like I said, if there really was a mandate from the production committee or other moneymen to end the story in one season I don't know that there were ever any feasible options that weren't pretty bad at best.

I wonder when those changes came in. The first two episodes of the season were alright and there was a DRASTIC quality nosedive in the finale. It feels like they wrote the first half of the season, hit some kind of roadblock, threw together a clip episode and had to change direction.

If they'd gone in an entirely different direction writing-wise I could see some kind of conclusion for the series at the end of a season. It feels like the writers were constrained, that certain scenes and plot points from the manga were required, but with the time/resource limit those scenes and plot points weren't allowed to make sense.

It makes me think of the live action Full Metal Alchemist movie.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

GimmickMan posted:

What I don't get about the committee having little faith in the manga's story is... Why order a second season made at all? It wouldn't be the first anime series to be only a partial adaptation. At least those get people to buy the source material to see how it ends.

Maybe it was someone's pet project. Like a producer really wanted to see more TPN animated but could only negotiate one season and that led them to... This.

Honestly season 2 was likely in motion before the manga ended, and as Nox said, they probably decided at sone point that it wouldn't be worth it to produce a third season for advertising reasons, not only because the cost wouldn't be justified in manga sales, but because TPN isn't exactly a series that you can create a ton of cool merchandise around compared to most Shonen Jump series.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I feel like you could've gotten a lot of hype and eyeballs adapting Goldy Pond.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Fabricated posted:

I feel like you could've gotten a lot of hype and eyeballs adapting Goldy Pond.

Yeah but since when were executives the brightest when it comes to investing money? Also to my understanding, Japanese business culture tends to be rather conservative, in that it'll engage with a lot less high risk taking for high reward in comparison to low risk taking for a steady, reliable income.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Spiritus Nox posted:

I'm never really sure that makes sense since they sales were consistently good to the very end of its lifespan as a series and most of the negative reception was from the west. Also, like others have this would not be the first series to only get a partial adoption.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Julias posted:

Yeah but since when were executives the brightest when it comes to investing money? Also to my understanding, Japanese business culture tends to be rather conservative, in that it'll engage with a lot less high risk taking for high reward in comparison to low risk taking for a steady, reliable income.

Except, it's far more risky to try and fast forward through the entire story, ruining the major twists for people than it is to do Goldy Pond, get the hype to maximum levels, then just push the manga hard.

Now, a sizable chunk of people who watched the anime aren't going to even try to read the manga since we already know the ending.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
...That sure was something for an ending.

Well, at least there was that excellent new tension theme or so. Something positive for posterity!

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

GimmickMan posted:

Yeah, the fact they went for a decisive ending at all is pretty weird. It’s not like leaving an adaptation unfinished because funding dried up is particularly unusual in this industry, and a decently paced but unfinished second season would have at least left the possibility of someone picking up the show for a third season years later if investors changed their mind about the IP.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Wowsers I was only kinda meh on Promised Neverland Season 2 for most of the run--- they obviously cut a lot but eh--- but this finale straight up slideshows what sure looked like 10 volumes of content and man, what a hatchet job by the production team

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
I'd just like to take a moment and appreciate how wildly creative the series finale of Evangelion was and how they put together an episode under a massive time/resource crunch.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I stopped watching the show after episode 2 of this season so I've only heard how bad this gets, but I did see an image of Emma touching foreheads with the cute demon girl so I'm going to pretend that's what this season was all about and call this a win.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
that still image was the only good thing to come from this misbegotten series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I haven’t felt this dismayed since the Kemono Friends season 2 debacle.

The arcs had too much “saved in the nick of time” like out of a superhero film. Felt off like there was going to be more in terms of that tension and thriller fear, and then kind of didn’t.