Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Zau just got released too and has a free demo which is really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

I think to really rub it in one or more of these hollowknight clones should release an entire sequel before Silksong comes out some time in 2035.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I mean as long as Silksong can still bring something new to the table all will be well. It's only going to start looking anticlimactic at release if every new idea has been seen before in another recently released metroidvania, and the chances of that happening are increasing month by month now it seems.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Whitenoise Poster posted:

I think to really rub it in one or more of these hollowknight clones should release an entire sequel before Silksong comes out some time in 2035.

Ender Magnolia (the sequel to Ender Lilies) is out in Early Access.

I didn't think Ender Lilies was very good, mind, but it's definitely aiming for HK clone.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I think I posted about it in here before, but. Ender Lilies only ever seemed like it was going to be a Hollow Knight clone, by way of early looks that played up its aesthetic, and particularly the combination of a glowing white player character set against dark, melancholic black and blue backgrounds, and also resting on wrought iron benches. I guess it does also have a very light dusting of metroidvania elements in addition to the standard issue Soulslike Plot about a kingdom brought low by the literal and figurative blight of its hubris. But outside of these elements, and particularly with regards to the parts of the games in which you press buttons to do things, the games are nothing alike whatsoever. I suspect they deliberately played up the outward similarities in the publicity period, which I suspect got the game more attention than it would have otherwise.

Also, I thought it was pretty good.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

ender lilies plays more specifically like a castlevania game like aria of sorrow and i feel like they were probably aiming more to come off like a fromsoft setting than hollow knight

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I liked Ender Lillies significantly more than Hollow Knight TBH. It isn't really the same (It's more akin to a Castlevania) but it's probably one of if not my favorite Metroidvanias.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

April 29th is the next clown suit day!

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I'm always down to clown

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I like this part of the clickbait:

Bapanada posted:

Recent Silksong news indicates progress towards release and suggests updates are imminent.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ob9OeUm6yaU&t=81s

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Subheadline: "Hollow Knight: Silksong has to release someday, ..."

???
I can't believe they'd just lie so blatantly

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Cartoon Man posted:

I like this part of the clickbait:

I've been saying this op

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial
pretty soon I'll bottom out on how stupid I feel and look, then I will be able to hope freely.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Oh I should put Ender Lillies on my deck and finish it thanks thread!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Not sure why everyone is talking about all these fail other games, given that the release of Hollow Knight: Silksong is just around the corner

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
When people say it's "more like a Castlevania" do they mean it has that poo poo where you have to grind enemies hoping that they drop spells or weapons that are ultimately useless? 'Cause, like, I din't want that,

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I always assumed they meant the controls are clunky as poo poo and 95% of the challenge is wrestling with them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bleck posted:

When people say it's "more like a Castlevania" do they mean it has that poo poo where you have to grind enemies hoping that they drop spells or weapons that are ultimately useless? 'Cause, like, I din't want that,

I meant more that it has a wider variety of weapons and abilities and more unique one-off things rather than HK's more tightly controlled setup.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Mymla posted:

I always assumed they meant the controls are clunky as poo poo and 95% of the challenge is wrestling with them.

I kinda thought the controls were pretty bad, yeah

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Ender Lilies physics has an ironclad rule you can depend on: if it would be helpful to the player, momentum doesn't apply. if it would be annoying, it does.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I bounced off ender Lillie's and I think it was because of the disconnect between your character and the moves being performed by another character materialising in front of or around you and doing the move instead of you. I just didn't like how that felt.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Ender Lilies sits squarely in the large crop of 7 or 8 out of 10 metroidvania/2d souls likes. Exploration is a high point, but the bosses are over tuned to the point it's to a serious detriment to the game. Standard sad-core aesthetics, but quite good for what they are.

It's a good entry for fans of the genre, but don't go in expecting a HK competitor or you'll be disappointed.

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

im having a bit of an existential crisis here guys
Checked out the trailer for ender lilies and I was put off by the animation. Looks too floaty which effects the game feel in a way that's really detrimental to my experience

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Posting here because it's adjacent to Hollow Knight content. Fireb0rn recently put out an excellent video on private equity consolidation of games journalism, resulting in hyperexploitation of contract writers to pump out dozens of garbage articles per week. But then Valnet got wind and copystruck Fireb0rn, and the video got deleted. He responds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNnUZvG7DyA

And here's a re-upload, but of course the original youtuber isn't getting adsense for their work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rcTi54dlTg

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I don't think I am willing to click through and watch multiple videos until you tell me what literally any of that means or who any of those people are and preferably what it has to do with Hollow Knight.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I will go a step further and state that under no circumstance will I watch those videos. In fact, I would rather die!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i, too, will not watch the videos

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Today we are all arf

Anti-Tachyon
Oct 25, 2010
Allow me to explain in terms even you can understand:

Fireborn is the most popular hollow knight content creator on "youtube" (maybe you've heard of it?)

He posted an expose of Screenrant, which they have illegally copyright struck, putting his channel at risk of deletion.

In it, he revealed that Screenrant and associates use functional indentured servitude and wage slavery to steal work and money from their writers.

He also exposed that they directed neo-nazi and far-right hatred towards their writers as a way of creating "rage bait" engagement.

The relevance to the thread is this:

Hopefully this resolves your ignorance of the situation!

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

Posting here because it's adjacent to Hollow Knight content. Fireb0rn recently put out an excellent video on private equity consolidation of games journalism, resulting in hyperexploitation of contract writers to pump out dozens of garbage articles per week. But then Valnet got wind and copystruck Fireb0rn, and the video got deleted. He responds:

And here's a re-upload, but of course the original youtuber isn't getting adsense for their work.

How on earth is this adjacent to silk song

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

That sucks and everything but this is a thread for discussing the hit video game Hollow Knight Silksong coming to home consoles and PC December 31st 2024

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Anti-Tachyon posted:

I wish to know less

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Shoehead posted:

That sucks and everything but this is a thread for discussing the hit video game Hollow Knight Silksong coming to home consoles and PC December 31st 2024

silksong is actually about ethics in video game journalism

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

repiv posted:

No wonder it doesn't exist

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

guppy posted:

I don't think I am willing to click through and watch multiple videos until you tell me what literally any of that means or who any of those people are and preferably what it has to do with Hollow Knight.

Precept Fifty: 'Don't Linger on Mysteries'. Some things in this world appear to us as puzzles. Or enigmas. If the meaning behind something is not immediately evident though, don't waste any time thinking about it. Just move on.

repiv posted:

Precept Forty-Five: 'One Thing Is Not Another'. This one should be obvious, but I've had others try to argue that one thing, which is clearly what it is and not something else, is actually some other thing, which it isn't. Stay on your guard!

Anti-Tachyon posted:

Allow me to explain in terms even you can understand:

Fireborn is the most popular hollow knight content creator on "youtube" (maybe you've heard of it?)

He posted an expose of Screenrant, which they have illegally copyright struck, putting his channel at risk of deletion.

In it, he revealed that Screenrant and associates use functional indentured servitude and wage slavery to steal work and money from their writers.

He also exposed that they directed neo-nazi and far-right hatred towards their writers as a way of creating "rage bait" engagement.

The relevance to the thread is this:

Precept Fifty-Five: 'Bow to No-one'. There are those in this world who would impose their will on others. They claim ownership over your food, your land, your body, and even your thoughts! They have done nothing to earn these things. Never bow to them, and make sure to disobey their commands.

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Apr 27, 2024

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Anti-Tachyon posted:

hollow knight content creator

Cursed phrase

Maxy Boy
Sep 7, 2008
There's only one "hollow knight content creator". And that's Team Cherry. And they aren't creating any content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Shoehead posted:

Strike one