Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

This topic change gave me a drat heart attack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Foehammer posted:

Soon means tomorrow, right?

It means 2022.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

There was a literal loving pandemic. Anything said before 'Rona did not have to take that into account.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

barclayed posted:

lol i thought this was an obscure ace attorney reference but wow that's a real play

They... they reference the play in regards to the character.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i studied Beckett in undergrad and honestly you're better off not knowing him. the man was a genius, his plays are brilliant artistic accomplishments, but they're excruciating to actually sit through (by design)

Look, the goal is to make you want to get a rope and it succeeds.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think this thread may be losing its mind

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ymgve posted:

Totally uninterested in armored core when someone said it is mission based and has literally no exploration

... It's an Armored Core game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

lmao. no one on this forum would care about this game if it wasn't for the maker. a lot of people are going to force themselves to like it to fit in.

I have been playing Armored Core since the PS1. FromSoft, before they got famous for the Souls games, were the "awesome mecha game" company to me. They made Armored Core, Another Century's Episode and Metal Wolf Chaos and were loving good at it.

gently caress, I was excited for Demon's Souls because I liked King's Field.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

You should not feel compelled to design games based on the various personality issues that your playerbase might have imo

That is literally how every single game is designed though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nephzinho posted:

Weren't there a ton of shovelware games that did decently by having super easy achievements and getting on lists for easy ways to boost your score?

Yeah, for at least a while (maybe even still) there was a proven uptick in sales for games with easy platinums. One of the Avatar games apparently like doubled its sales because of that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Zombie Guy posted:

I remember loling at an achievement for Guitar Hero, where you had to beat one of the game's developers in a PVP match. I'm sure they just hung out online all the time, ready to take up the challenge.

I don't know that one in particular but if I recall a lot of those achievements were "beat one of the game's developers or anyone who has the achievement" so it was designed to propagate naturally. Unless, of course, people stopped playing the game but what are the odds of that?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I have good word that Hollow Knight Silksong will be coming out... next month!

It will come out October 20th which is absolute a totally clear day for gaming.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Snake Maze posted:

A 2019 E3 presentation where they said it was coming soon followed by 4 years of radio silence is pretty strong evidence that plans changed somewhere along the way.

You kind of have to give a mulligan on 2020 and maybe 2021

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DourCricket posted:

I have a Friend of a Friend of a Friend who says there was an internal date for July of this year. I'm not sure though when they said it or who they said it to exactly, so I don't know if that was a target year(s) ago or not. I'm curious though how far it could be delayed from that, we're already past the entire dev cycle of the original game right?

I mean technically we're still waiting for the DLC for the first game!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

There was once a thriving kingdom. One day that kingdom discovered some sort of otherworldly power source. This power source was beyond measure but slowly corrupted the minds and souls of those it was around. Eventually the kingdom fell into ruin, leaving only the shattered remains of its lands and people. Now you, Tarnished Ashen One Knight Pinocchio The Forbidden One The Weird hosed Up Little Guy must venture into the lands and confront the source of that evil, armed with only a sharp thing and the ability to die infinity times without lasting consequence.

This will be all video game stories until the end of time, presented exclusively through a half a paragraph of random item lore as interpreted by a softspoken man with a pleasant accent via youtube videos.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fedule posted:

When the motherfucker said "a small independent team from Australia" I really thought. But it was just House House. And I mean those guys rule and I cannot wait to have literally any understanding of what the gently caress their new game even is, but. Come on man. He knew what he was doing.

To be honest I would be shocked if Geoff even remembers SIlksong exists.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Koburn posted:

Wasn't sure if you were joking but no, they really are selling a deluxe edition for $10 more which is the only way to get the secret finder item.

Consider this a reminder that Ubisoft occasionally run a promotion where their subscription service is available for $1 for a month.

This actually isn't true. There's an in-game charm that does the same thing, the deluxe edition one is just free to equip and you start the game with it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fedule posted:

I never considered the charms system to be that characteristic to Hollow Knight but when I saw that PoP has you buying maps from a shopkeeper hiding just off the path but who you can detect through objects scattered around the surrounding environment and the sound of them humming to themselves an eyebrow did raise.

To be clear I'm all in favour. I love to see all the really direct pulls it does. It's also got Celeste strawberries, an air dash that's Metroid Dread as gently caress and a mirror match fight (though, if anything, that one pulls from the original Prince of Persia, right down to having to parry counter his parry counters).

I will say the forbidden thing and say that PoP's map system is better than HK's.

Also that one dude (you know who) is 150% Vergil from DMC.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Whitenoise Poster posted:

Gonna get a bunch of dudes who barely know what they are doing together and make Silksong but with guns and survival crafting.

Bloodstained already exists.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Judge Tesla posted:

We wouldn't have this problem if Silksong had been released episodically.

Tell that to Deltarune fans.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ymgve posted:

The sequel to this beloved metroidvania title is coming to Switch!

That's right, the sequel to Ender Lilies.

To be honest I am more hype for Endest Lilies than Silksong.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fedule posted:

I won't be able to watch this Triple I thing live when it goes down so I can only assume there is a 100% chance of Silksong

More like Silkgone.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

My understanding is that ratings are not even done by playing the game, they submit a 'sizzle reel' of potential issues and content to the ESRB and they rate it based off that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Oh yeah to be clear I wasn't being snarky there. I'm serious when I say it's really impressive how much widespread anticipation this sequel is getting. Almost any other studio would have been cranking out constant teasers and it really shows that if you have a strong game then most marketing is wasted money

I mean not really. There are 83 pages here but 70 of them are people getting increasingly annoyed and frustrated at the lack of communication and it has become so synonymous with the game that industry stuff jokes about it. It also means that people are building themselves up to likely unrealistic expectations in terms of quality. (Not that the game will be bad but that the lack of communication means people are left to fill in the gaps themselves, which would lead to disappointment if it ends up being 'only' as good as Hollow Knight.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

khwarezm posted:

Funny thought that they've boxed themselves into a Half-Life episode 3 corner, I'm confident they at least made a fun game though.

It's hard to imagine it not being, at worst, a pretty good Metroidvania.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

They announced Steamworld Heist 2 so Silksong wisely stayed away to avoid being overshadowed.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I liked Ender Lillies significantly more than Hollow Knight TBH. It isn't really the same (It's more akin to a Castlevania) but it's probably one of if not my favorite Metroidvanias.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bleck posted:

When people say it's "more like a Castlevania" do they mean it has that poo poo where you have to grind enemies hoping that they drop spells or weapons that are ultimately useless? 'Cause, like, I din't want that,

I meant more that it has a wider variety of weapons and abilities and more unique one-off things rather than HK's more tightly controlled setup.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hogama posted:

I'm excited for Silksong's pending rebrand as a DLC for Vampire Survivors.

Not going to lie I'd play the poo poo out of Hollow Survivors.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i feel like there's probably a middle ground where what's required of you is communicated to you via context once you see the obstacles / level, making it an exercise in reading an implicit "language" rather than pure trial-and-error; this is also about where i would draw a distinction between design i personally don't like and just plain bad design

That is how Castlevania works though. You know what you need to do and what tools you have to do it and you need to decide how to use those tools. There is an element of "next time I do this I should come in prepared with (x)" but that's because the game is designed with the assumption you'd play it multiple times trying to improve your score.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Snake Maze posted:

This seems like a pretty good strategy to dealing with people asking for a release date, actually. Put out a silly, obviously fake release date far in the future, and fans can joke about it while waiting patiently for everything to be finished up. You can even come up with a funny little catchphrase for it. Something like, I don’t know, “The promise has been made”. Just a random example I thought up.

To be fair more of Barkley 2 came out than Silksong so far.