Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

Speaking of, seeing Argos in the team shots is so jarring because the other Miraculous powers include "paralyse someone", "retrieve an object" and "give someone a nice present". And then there's Argos, who can vaporise the entire population of the earth, or do absolutely anything else he wants to.

But don't forget, he specifically said he'd never create a sentimonster again just to end up destroying it, so I guess he's gonna end up doing loving nothing or Paris is going to be littered with random monsters after a few times he fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
down to five episodes to finish the season. I thought they were setting up Miraculous Ladybug Shippuden but the principal getting fired really was to set up the final few episodes, huh. Goddamn Lila and Chloe are awful. That shield thing was super good, tho. I really hope those two get shitcanned, I'm way, way more into Gabriel's final days and what exactly Felix knows about himself, Adrien and Kagami.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Haven't seen it yet but the PSA episode "Action" is out now. Reminder that this is non canon or at the very least takes place earlier in Season 5

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Christ, "Action" feels like a drat fever dream. Like someone held the voice actors family at gunpoint and told them to talk about plastic waste!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, that was a weird one. Where would you even put this on the season timeline chronologically (Gabe’s still around, Marinette and Adrien appear to be together but Chloe’s nowhere in sight)?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also the next Miraculous World special premieres in France next month:

https://twitter.com/MLNewsWorld/status/1702834489209372818

Bonus: A closer look at Shadybug/AU Marinette:

https://twitter.com/MLNewsWorld/status/1702834927463731306

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
It hadn't occurred to me that the premise "evil Ladybug and Cat Noir" also means we're getting evil Marinette and Adrien, and now I'm so curious. Does anti-Marinette have awful parents that she hates and anti-Adrien has a doting, loving father? Or do the evil Dupain-Changs still have a sweet and loving relationship but instead of owning a bakery and living above it, they're supervillains in an underground lair under a wine cellar?

Or is it a lair under a McDonalds, because the polarity flip means they go from being stereotypically French to American.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

That finale is loving nuts, and while I'm very excited for Miraculous Ladybug Shippuden, i'm most excited for the special. I wanna see everything they can squeeze in this pocket of time between the first main arc and whatever they have plan for season 6 and onwards.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It hadn't occurred to me that the premise "evil Ladybug and Cat Noir" also means we're getting evil Marinette and Adrien, and now I'm so curious. Does anti-Marinette have awful parents that she hates and anti-Adrien has a doting, loving father? Or do the evil Dupain-Changs still have a sweet and loving relationship but instead of owning a bakery and living above it, they're supervillains in an underground lair under a wine cellar?

Or is it a lair under a McDonalds, because the polarity flip means they go from being stereotypically French to American.

Kind of makes me wonder what the rest of that universe is like now as well. Is anti-Lila practically a saint who’s honest to a fault and constantly works to better herself and the world? Is anti-Chloe a meek girl who’s usually lead around by the nose by Sabrina? What’s Gabriel like in a world where Alya got the Butterfly Miraculous instead?

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

I'll take happy loving parents but she got into the goth scene hard. Adrian in a Screamo band for extra points.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Chewing a bit on the season 5 finale
I think it overall suffers from setting up the next season as well. Marinette vs Gabriel is pretty loving good, she really lets loose and goes a bit DBZ on Gabriel with all the punching him through walls, as deserved. But it feels like we don't get enough conclusion, like I'm not sure why Nathalie is also healed, Adrien didn't get any say to the defeat of his father which i get thematically but he's not even in the same country as the segment where every character we know stands together, Kagami and Felix's story is so deeply entwined with Adrien's birth but they only gave us the bare minimum an episode from the end because they'll be integral in the next major arc because of Kagami's mom. Seeing Lila get all those resources before the two part finale was exciting, but it was deflating to see it's for next year.

All that said, I really liked hte end of Gabriel. Finally forced to accept that his son was more mature than him, that all he was doing was against Emilie's wishes, and that Adrien found someone who would love him as much as Emilie loved Gabriel, only all those allowed him to try to make amends with magic was great. Marinette giving him a chance was explained really well, it didn't matter what the right thing was, what mattered was finding a way to move forward without hurting Adrien.

I'm very, very interested in the status quo for highschool. I kind of assumed Gabriel's defeat would have to mean the identity reveal. Blue electric portals notwithstanding, it sounds like Lila will adopt an identity and stay in the same class as Marinette while also having an army of robots and the butterfly miraculous. Luka's offscreen martial arts training arc probably means they could have him repeat a year and join the cast in highschool. Luka, Kagami, Felix and Alya knowing Marinette's identity, and the former also knowing Adrien's, could also be a really interesting dynamic.

tl;dr i'm very interested in the future, and they did a bunch of cool stuff, but it wasn't as fulfilling a season finale as i hoped

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

There’s also that electric blue light that seemed to freak Lila out and shake the room so something tells me she won’t be alone. I’m also curious how exactly she plans to attend school again without someone eventually figuring out her identity (but then again she’s a master con artist and has proven to be at least smarter than Gabriel)

As I’ve said before I hope Season 6 also starts going a bit more into who or what Lila really is and what she’s after (my current guess is renegade sentimonster made by a previous holder of the Peacock Miraculous)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Sep 17, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

And back to the upcoming special, here’s Claw Noir:

Off the subject, one thing I’m also hoping they do in Season 6 is an identity reveal (Marinette and Adrien are officially a couple now and the former has been the official Guardian of the Miraculous for a while now, Gabriel’s dead, and they literally did it in the movie so what’s stopping them at this point?)

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Claw Noir is certainly a choice... Not sure I like it compared to Shady Bug / Marienettes reveal.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/MLNewsWorld/status/1704889203887391064

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also here’s AU Adrien from the upcoming special:

https://twitter.com/MLNewsWorld/status/1704906027517505556

Yeah, Evil Ladybug looked way better in both forms

Additionally, contrary to what I previously assumed Reverse Gabriel still has the Butterfly Miraculous but is a hero in his dimension (Alya’s new hero form is due to an Akuma he gave her):

https://miraculousladybug.fandom.com/wiki/Hesperia

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Sep 22, 2023

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Kind of odd to have another story after the (very definite) end of the season/first story arc, but then this is a show that first broadcast its origin story either halfway through the first season or after its finale depending which country you were in, so eh. I'm due a full rewatch of season 5, so I can try to figure out exactly when this would slot in - Marinette and Adrien are a couple, but Gabe isn't on his last legs yet.

Anyway, 'Action' was amusing little side story with its heart in the right place despite the blunt preachiness. (If you want to get a message across, there's no point being subtle these days.) I guess France doesn't have an equivalent of the FCC, because otherwise Marinette and co would have been arrested pretty quickly for interfering with TV broadcasts!

Funny to think that this will be the last look at the original CG models before the upgrade - the lighting alone on the new sets makes them look far more realistic even without the higher detail.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
It might just be their plan to let people have fun with the characters before everything changes.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, I’m not entirely sure if you can neatly place Action on the series timeline (there was no sign of Chloe or “Lila” in the episode either)

Speaking of, I kind of hope we see Reverse versions of them in the upcoming special as well if only for the comedy value

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Are we getting the new assets in the evil AU special or are those going to kick in for next year's Season Six?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MorningMoon posted:

Are we getting the new assets in the evil AU special or are those going to kick in for next year's Season Six?

Can’t tell, the trailers for it looked about the same to me as I recall (maybe slightly better). The upgrade is definitely going to come in Season 6 onward at least

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Larryb posted:

Yeah, I’m not entirely sure if you can neatly place Action on the series timeline (there was no sign of Chloe or “Lila” in the episode either)

Speaking of, I kind of hope we see Reverse versions of them in the upcoming special as well if only for the comedy value
Chloe was (very) briefly in 'Action', but had no dialogue.

Y'know, having Evil Marinette bully the poo poo out of Good Chloe would be fine with me.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Payndz posted:

Chloe was (very) briefly in 'Action', but had no dialogue.

Y'know, having Evil Marinette bully the poo poo out of Good Chloe would be fine with me.

Oh? Where was she?

Also it’d be funny if Reverse Lila was just the nicest person in the world (or about the same except instead of being a con artist she’s just brutally honest about everything)

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Larryb posted:

Oh? Where was she?

Also it’d be funny if Reverse Lila was just the nicest person in the world (or about the same except instead of being a con artist she’s just brutally honest about everything)

Lila Prime is constantly scheming and lying to make the world a worse place, so clearly Reverse Lila would be really nice and also solve all her problems with violence. Therefore, in the season finale, that electric blue energy is totally Reverse Lila ripping a hole in spacetime just to punch her evil doppleganger in the face.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Edit: Nevermind

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Sep 26, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Better image of Marinette’s new look:

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Oh, that's a fun look.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

And back to the upcoming special, here’s Reverse Gabriel (also Nino):

https://twitter.com/MLNewsWorld/status/1708602620766818472

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So apparently in the new special Marinette uses the Butterfly miraculous at some point:

Reminder that said special drops in France tomorrow (not sure about the English release though)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

No idea when it’s gonna hit D+ but the Shadybug special is out now (and in the English dub no less), haven’t seen much of it yet but it opens with a Reverse Gabriel version of the show intro, which is a nice touch I’ll admit

Edit: Apparently our Gabriel is still around and this special takes place early in Season 5 (specifically during Destruction). Not a bad special though but the trailers grossly oversold how involved Alya was in this

I assume The Supreme is something that’ll come into play in season 6 (from the hints I’m guessing Evil Master Fu)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Oct 22, 2023

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
A great special that took advantage of Season 5s intriguing start.

Setting it when Ladybug lost everything meant she hadn't the time to recover from the trauma, and it shows in how helpless she feels. Plus, Adrian still freaout about his powers was used well also.
Another interesting tidbit, the whole Tikki existing across all universes at the same time, meaning she's aware of how messes up things are and doesn't tell Marrienette.
Also, constantly using the Miraculous drains life energy from the user or Kawami... is rough.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’m guessing the Supreme is going to be Lila’s new boss/partner in Season 6 and what she saw at the end was a dimensional portal opening inside her hideout (it seems like a pretty big plot point to just leave hanging and the end of Season 5 already officially canonized the last two specials)

Hell, maybe she’s a sentimonster too who escaped and fled her home dimension and The Supreme was her former master (even the name “Cerise” could be yet another pseudonym)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Oct 23, 2023

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Double down bet for Season 6:

(Spoilered for good reason)

Taking bets on the Supreme being Lila with some dumb voice modulation. Seeing as Chloe was still a monster in the Emo Verse, my bet is on Lila pulling the strings and micromanaging everything right down to who gets powers

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

PowerBeard posted:

Double down bet for Season 6:

(Spoilered for good reason)

Taking bets on the Supreme being Lila with some dumb voice modulation. Seeing as Chloe was still a monster in the Emo Verse, my bet is on Lila pulling the strings and micromanaging everything right down to who gets powers

That makes sense actually (I’m assuming it’s either that or an evil version of Master Fu)

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Not a bad suggestion either, it might be odd seeing their model fight... but still an interesting idea.

No matter what we suggest, I'm sure the writers will come up with something far weirder that'll divide the fanbase.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, I’m still going with the “Lila is an escaped sentimonster” theory until proven otherwise (literally everything about her is a deception except her burning hatred for Marinette). Hell, I’m not even completely sure she’s actually a teenager

Either way I hope Season 6 dives into her backstory a bit more because she’s probably the biggest question mark in the series right now

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Hmm, wonder how long Reverse Chloe lived after Shadybug first got her powers?

That was the best special so far, IMO. It didn't look as good as Shanghai, but the fights were done well and I really liked Gabriel as a good guy. It also gives the writers a way to bring him back in future seasons.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It’s kind of weird they aired the English dub on Disney Channel France though, has there been any word yet as to when this is officially coming to D+?

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Small Strange Bird posted:

Hmm, wonder how long Reverse Chloe lived after Shadybug first got her powers?

That was the best special so far, IMO. It didn't look as good as Shanghai, but the fights were done well and I really liked Gabriel as a good guy. It also gives the writers a way to bring him back in future seasons.

I'm sure Reverse Chloe got offered the bee miraculous the first chance the Supreme one got.

I wonder if we'll get to see any more previews of Season 6 or will they keep quiet to allow for the dvd / bluray release of the movie .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

PowerBeard posted:

I'm sure Reverse Chloe got offered the bee miraculous the first chance the Supreme one got.

I wonder if we'll get to see any more previews of Season 6 or will they keep quiet to allow for the dvd / bluray release of the movie .

We know it’s slated for next year at least so we might get something by December at the earliest (there’s another Miraculous World special on the way set in London but I don’t think we know anything about that one yet)