Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Finally got around to watching Timetagger. Oh my god do I hate time travel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Jeremy Zag posted two spoiler designs for miraculous users on his Instagram.

Kagami the Dragon and Kim the Monkey

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Gamer 2.0 dropped (in Switzerland). Unlike the "holy poo poo, they set this up all the way back in season 1!" revelations of Timetagger it's a fluff standalone, but still has fun with the concept of "Ladybug and Cat have to play Street Fighter II using all the akuma victims they've saved to date". Best part is Ladybug getting increasingly pissed off that the whole thing is interfering with Marinette's long list of deadlines, but still finding a moment for some gently caress-you glee at taking down the avatars of her real-world nemeses Chloe and Lila.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

I'm just now watching the new episodes, and I want to say everything about "Were-dad" was perfect. They actually did something interesting with the "love square" premise, Tiki got to stare into the camera like she was in the Office, and the start of the episode was great for being a glimpse at how an average episode of the show is just bizarre and terrifying when you're not a superhero.

But mostly, Cat Noir's characterization in this one made me like him a lot more. Playing up the isolation of his situation worked really well--"this is the friendliest meal I've had in a long time" went right for the heart. And heroes who just keep trying to fight no matter how many hits they take are the best.

Hey, I just saw your PM and feel like poo poo for not noticing it for a month, so consider this a ping that I responded.

Other stuff: Reflektdoll (or however it's spelled) got delayed again. Big surprise.

An alleged spoiler for the season finale's synopsis has dropped. Grain of salt as always, but good to know for spoiler-avoiders.

Bounties paid for whoever can sneak Miraculous Kinder Eggs into the U.S.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

delfin posted:

Hey, I just saw your PM and feel like poo poo for not noticing it for a month, so consider this a ping that I responded.

Other stuff: Reflektdoll (or however it's spelled) got delayed again. Big surprise.

This is weird Reflekdoll was supposed to be the one that introduced Mayura's Monsters.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
On the one hand, I can totally see why 'Trouble Fete/Party Crasher' got its French debut in time for Pride week. I doubt they could have squeezed any more rainbows in if they'd tried, and Marinette only gets into the sausage party by going trans.

On the other... it's the biggest continuity gently caress-up the show has yet managed thanks to its random airing schedule. :toot: Three new miraculous holders - two of whom were supposed to have been introduced already!

Still, it was goofy, campy fun, and for once Hawk Moth was justified in akumatising someone, since Nino and co were on the verge of unwittingly killing Adrien's mother!

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
What did I just watch. :stare:

Fun episode, but now I'll have to watch it all in order once the season is through

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I didn't know what to expect coming into 'Puppeteer 2' because season 3 has had a 50/50 hit-to-miss ratio with the sequel episodes ('Gamer 2.0' was pretty good, 'Stormy Weather 2' was a clip show with all that entails), but it turned out really well. Marinette excruciatingly embarrassing herself over misunderstandings about her feelings for Adrien is one of the legs of the show, and this was The Office-level "no, stop talking. Stop. Talking. Please, for the love of good, stop digging yourself deeper!" Putting a new twist on Puppeteer's power was also surprisingly effective - giving the existing CG models dead eyes as their waxwork counterparts was a simple trick, but gave them a really creepy vibe. Astruc's disembodied head was like a kids' show version of The Thing.

And I was not expecting that gut-punch ending. Adrien tells Marinette, just as she's about to finally pour her heart out to him, that he's in love with Kagami. Oof. (EDIT: or did he mean Ladybug? drat, I'll have to watch it again to check what they said to each other during the battle.) The episode was supposed to come much later in the season's run, so the mixed-up broadcast order has really screwed things up as we're bound to see the status quo restored in the remaining shows with an earlier production number. Oh well, being a fan of this show means you either deal with it or give up...

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Jul 14, 2019

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Payndz posted:

The episode was supposed to come much later in the season's run, so the mixed-up broadcast order has really screwed things up as we're bound to see the status quo restored in the remaining shows with an earlier production number. Oh well, being a fan of this show means you either deal with it or give up...
Yeah after hearing this and seeing last week's I'm just giving up until its on Netflix, its a lot less satisfying when poo poo's spoiled like that and this season has been terrible about it. I know the studio has no control over who shows what but ugh.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
'Ikari Gozen' got an apparently unexpected premiere at Comic-Con. It's good! (As far as I could tell from the 56k-quality YouTube recordings.)

Marinette's stalkerish obsession with Adrien has been taking her on an ever-deeper dive of lovely behaviour of late, and Tikki straight-up calls her on it this time and is completely ignored. But the outcome - for now - is pretty positive as she actually realises she's totally in the wrong, and takes action to make amends. She even makes a new friend! At least until the season finale...

Kagami is basically Mr Data here, with her desperate fake smile, constantly checking her 'how to make friends' app and having nobody in her life beyond her mother. Even Adrien has a real person driving him around Paris, but she can't even manage that! It's unexpected yet fitting, and in a normal show with a sane week-by-week release schedule would be a major turning point with all kinds of character development springing from it. But this is Miraculous, so... :smith:

I also loved that Kagami - who Marinette fears as super-competent and focused on her goals - instantly hosed up when she got her Miraculous by being so excited and keen to save/fight her mother that she didn't listen to Ladybug or her kwami and wrecked the plan.

I was also far too stoked by visiting Paris just a couple of weeks ago and actually having been to several of the places Marinette and Kagami go on their treasure hunt. :haw:

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Did the artists in later seasons ever make the city look like Paris instead of like the mobile game version of Paris where beige sidewalks all lead to the Eiffel Tower?

I don’t mean to be too hard on them but wayside from a couple exceptional night scenes the amount of detail in the world always adds to the puppet show vibe I had with the program. It’s weird when they make the budget cuts there because it’s assets they can use repeatedly.

Although some of the 4K-ish upclose shots of Ladybug’s mask and outfit I’ve seen make it clear that they have some detailed work that they just don’t have any clear way of showing off.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jul 30, 2019

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
This show’s in-universe Instagram accounts are pretty amusing, particularly when they made renders that resemble bad phone camera angles.

It does get a little silly though when, say, Adrien posts an “old” modeling shoot in the same outfit he wears all the time. :b

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Well am I the only one who didn't know they put up the first 13 episodes of season 3 on US Netflix? Cuz they're there (haha, 'Weredead').

Oracle fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Aug 5, 2019

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

What? I was told to wait till December for the episodes. Is the episode order on US Netflix different from how it's been broadcast outside of US Netflix?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Wait, new episodes on Netflix?? okay then

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Yeah the order is completely different from the (haphazard) release schedule outside. It ends with Puppeteer 2. Weredad is like 8th, it’s interesting. Been there for three days according to my Netflix.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I'm getting all :argh: at so many countries getting season 3 when Netflix in the UK still only has season 1. (I still haven't seen 'Frozer' from season 2 in full because the only version on YouTube is missing audio for the last few minutes.)

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Finished whatever was available on US Netflix and some thoughts.

Kagami get a Miraculous is curious since in Party Crasher, I thought Fu gave out all the Miraculous he had and I didn't see any Dragon character in that episode.

Paydnz, I think that Adrien was referring to Ladybug as the person he loved instead of Kagami since, I think, there was a mention of the lady not liking his jokes though I would like to see Kagami-Adrien, Marinette-Luka interactions.

I like the memory forgetter episode as we got to understand why Adrien and Marinette could have feelings for each other. That whole episode of them interacting outside of their Ladybuy and Cat Noir personas was really sweet.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

For those who may be doubting that the movie will be made

https://imgur.com/a/mzAuK9W

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Ccs posted:

For those who may be doubting that the movie will be made

https://imgur.com/a/mzAuK9W

Wow, peeps can get a job on a movie that will never be made. Like 60% of film jobs.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Payndz posted:

Salty about distribution

This might get me probation, but my experience with kids shows is just to give up and embrace piracy when you need to. The industry treats this stuff less seriously than other genres, and anything from holiday toy sales to kids going back to school can gently caress it around.

My own current demon, for examples sake, is Power Rangers being aired abroad far earlier than the US because Nickelodeon has awkward rules about a show having too many new episodes in a year. As a kid, I can remember everything from ABC dicking ReBoot into random time slots every weekend because it wasn’t Disney made, to FOX only ordering only three new episodes of Animaniacs in a year because they wanted the show to tank when it changed networks.

My own opinion is kids shows kind of live and die on merchandising, so support the show by buying toys and games and stuff (even just as gifts to kids) and accept that kids TV distribution is about capitalism over product.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Craptacular! posted:

My own current demon, for examples sake, is Power Rangers being aired abroad far earlier than the US because Nickelodeon has awkward rules about a show having too many new episodes in a year.

I have to because the cable provider for my area had a spat with Viacom so that means no Nick for me. I justify it in that I get the complete series DVDs when they come out.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've had to watch season 2 and 3 from cheeky sources as well because UK airing is borked. Almost all my cartoons are watched online simply because I have no idea if the UK channels are getting anything new from them.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Wow, peeps can get a job on a movie that will never be made. Like 60% of film jobs.

They’re hiring for production, not pre-production. Once a film is hiring for production it means it’s already been greenlit and the planning is there, along with enough money having been spent already to make cancelling the film a bad investment decision.
(There have been maybe 2 exceptions to this in recent animation history due to Dreamworks changing ownership, but that’s not relevant here.)

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

I've had to watch season 2 and 3 from cheeky sources as well because UK airing is borked. Almost all my cartoons are watched online simply because I have no idea if the UK channels are getting anything new from them.

Pretty much the same on the latter; Distribution on cartoons is mostly hosed so looking for files is often easier. BUT for Ladybug it's so hosed with episodes releasing on so many different languages, episode orders, get not-aired at the very last minute and all that, that it becomes much, much easier to wait on the Netflix release and only have to deal with a slightly messed up episode order.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Is the US Netflix order of episode the best way to consume the episodes in terms of continuity?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
As someone who just consumed the newest episodes on Netflix...mostly. Party Crasher is a complete continuity break, but otherwise it seems fine.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Some Numbers posted:

As someone who just consumed the newest episodes on Netflix...mostly. Party Crasher is a complete continuity break, but otherwise it seems fine.

I think it was a complete continuity break when it aired elsewhere too from what I was reading. I was trying to make sure it wasn't one of the episodes that aired overseas and was part of this Netflix chunk but it seems that's not the case.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I’ve watched all the new episodes and I’m really getting tired of how they would rather focus on rehashing the same old plot points than actually developing any of the characters or moving the plot along. I mean I know it’s a cartoon for kids, but it’s so incredibly tedious and speaks to how stupid literally every person in this universe must be that nobody has figured out anything about anyone else yet.

Also I loved the scene last season where Gabriel got upset with Nathalie using the Peacock Miraculous to save him even though it’s what “killed” Emilie...and now she’s actively using it and he doesn’t seem to care.

King Monkey was cool, though. I’ll give it to the show that they make some really neat hero/villain design choices.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Labes for days posted:

I’ve watched all the new episodes and I’m really getting tired of how they would rather focus on rehashing the same old plot points than actually developing any of the characters or moving the plot along. I mean I know it’s a cartoon for kids, but it’s so incredibly tedious and speaks to how stupid literally every person in this universe must be that nobody has figured out anything about anyone else yet.

Also I loved the scene last season where Gabriel got upset with Nathalie using the Peacock Miraculous to save him even though it’s what “killed” Emilie...and now she’s actively using it and he doesn’t seem to care.

King Monkey was cool, though. I’ll give it to the show that they make some really neat hero/villain design choices.

To be fair, we haven't seen the upcoming episode that was supposed to introduce her villain form properly, it got skipped due to the hosed schedule, so they may explain that Hawkmoth somehow stabilised it or fixed it or something.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Makes me wonder if 'Reflekdoll' has had some major rewrites needing animation redone, since it was the fifth episode in production order. The same happened to 'Troublemaker' last season when they decided to remove Alya from the story (she was in the table read from Comic-con).

Much later edit: 'Reflekdoll' has got an official (as in, it's listed in the Radio Times) premiere on Disney Channel UK on September 3rd! Can't wait for it to be replaced at the last minute by 'Stormy Weather 2'.

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Aug 27, 2019

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Reflekdoll definitely aired.

For how long it was pushed off, I was expecting much...more. It was a pretty generic episode with the exception of the super cool Miraculous swap. "Sentimonster" was used with no explanation, but neither Ladybug or Cat Noir knew who Mayura is.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I can imagine why 'Reflekdoll' was delayed for so long; they had to create two new alt-modes for their hero characters, so that's a lot of animation time and chances for things not to come out right, and they also couldn't use any of the stock footage for transformations, Lucky Charm, etc. The episode needed more work than usual. Shame after the long wait it was just kinda... okay. Ladybug's massive info-dump about sentimonsters was the most blunt and unimaginative way they could have done it. No attempt to work it into things organically, but practically looking into the camera to deliver a great wodge of exposition. Season 3 Marinette also continued her trend of being, well, kind of an rear end in a top hat at times. Maybe the expectations set the bar too high.

And then, tadaa! 'Desperada' came along as well. An episode with no hype, no leaks, and no expectations. Which made it all the better. I definitely wasn't expecting Adrien's own personal Groundhog Day, or his getting a second Miraculous. It being one of those rare occasions when they mess with the formula added surprises as well. Love square embarrassment comedy with Luka and Kagami adding extra sidesVILLAIN OUT OF MOTHERFUCKING NOWHERE [Mexican trumpets blare] And Jagged Stone is totally Juleka and Luka's secret dad, no?

Pity it aired out of sequence with 'Ikari Gozen', which completely changed the Marinette/Kagami relationship, but hey, this is Miraculous.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Can't wait for the rest of the season to come out on Netflix and find a hotly debated episode order list so i can hop all around the season trying to watch it close to sequentially

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Desperada: I was a little disappointed how heavy handed they were with Adrien and Cat making the same joke and Ladybug having polar opposite reactions.

Unrelated, has it always been the case that the Miraculous wielders choose their own name? I thought Tikki or someone had said that there had been dozens of Ladybugs throughout history, but they'd always been called "Ladybug" and those Ladybugs always had a "Cat Noir" that helped them out. Am I totally misremembering?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
'Ladybug' aired. It is good. It is very good. The only thing really wrong with it was that it had almost too much to fit into a 22-minute episode, so the pacing goes beyond breakneck towards rushed. (That and an inevitable mention of something that hasn't aired yet. :sigh: ) But it's still very, very good. They finally followed up on a whole bunch of ongoing threads, and they all pay off now, while still offering plenty more to come.

Even knowing the basic premise as a spoiler, the episode still kept on producing surprises. But it really is best watched unspoiled; this is why Astruc gets so pissed off about them! All I'll give away is that if we ever see 'Princess Justice' as an episode title, poo poo's about to go down.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Yeah, it was very good, but you're right, the scene breaks were incredibly abrupt. The episode really needed to be a two parter to fit all that stuff into it.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
There was definitely a lot going on but I just want to call attention to Adrien blackmailing Lila into coming up with a lie that would fix things, because that ruled.

As much as there was going on, I don't know if the fakeout where it seemed like this was going to be Heroes Day all over again was strictly necessary, but that was also great.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

As much as there was going on, I don't know if the fakeout where it seemed like this was going to be Heroes Day all over again was strictly necessary, but that was also great.
Yeah, that was a real "Woah, wasn't expecting that!" moment - followed immediately by a bigger one. (I honestly had no idea how the writers were going to get out of it, but when they did it came completely justifiably from what we already knew. Nice work.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Some Numbers posted:

Desperada: I was a little disappointed how heavy handed they were with Adrien and Cat making the same joke and Ladybug having polar opposite reactions.

Unrelated, has it always been the case that the Miraculous wielders choose their own name? I thought Tikki or someone had said that there had been dozens of Ladybugs throughout history, but they'd always been called "Ladybug" and those Ladybugs always had a "Cat Noir" that helped them out. Am I totally misremembering?

I think its more that its called the ladybug miraculous so that would make sense as to referring to all the previous holders of the ladybug as ladybugs. Same for the cat one. She's referring to the miraculous not necessarily the actual hero name chosen.