Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Larryb posted:

It’s kind of weird they aired the English dub on Disney Channel France though, has there been any word yet as to when this is officially coming to D+?

Speak of the devil, the Shadybug special hits the US next month:

https://twitter.com/MLNewsWorld/status/1720250094396837932

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So this is a thing I guess:

https://twitter.com/MLNewsWorld/status/1725924603871277361

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
The lore implications of Chibi...

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The Shadybug special officially hit the US on the 9th if anyone didn’t get a chance to see it yet

Also, new Season 6 poster:

I guess that means Lyla (and possibly her new partner depending on who or what it was she saw at the end) will still be akumatizing people then

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Larryb posted:

The Shadybug special officially hit the US on the 9th if anyone didn’t get a chance to see it yet

Also, new Season 6 poster:

I guess that means Lyla (and possibly her new partner depending on who or what it was she saw at the end) will still be akumatizing people then

Where? It’s not on Netflix or Disney+
Edit: Disney now, of course. God they love sucking money out of you.

Oracle fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Dec 18, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Oracle posted:

Where? It’s not on Netflix or Disney+
Edit: Disney now, of course. God they love sucking money out of you.

Now it is:

https://twitter.com/MLNewsWorld/status/1740936592389509577

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

New special announced for August:

https://twitter.com/MLNewsWorld/status/1744371867878568230

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/BeMiraculousLB/status/1745575377194631560

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

It’s just a poster? I thought it’d be a clip or something.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Oracle posted:

It’s just a poster? I thought it’d be a clip or something.

Season 6 is scheduled for a fall release currently, we likely won’t get a trailer or anything until the spring/summer at the earliest (though then again I forget when the first teaser for S5 got released)

Though I am curious how Lila’s going to work as the new Hawkmoth and who or what is going to be joining her (I imagine “The Supreme” mentioned in the Paris special is going to factor into this somehow) or how we’re going to raise the stakes now that most of the major teen characters are all permanent Miraculous holders

I’m hoping we finally get a permanent identity reveal now that Marinette and Adrien are formally together as well (they did it in the movie so they can do it in the series too)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jan 13, 2024

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In other news, Christina Vee recently covered a couple of songs she wasn’t allowed to sing during the movie (You Are Ladybug, Courage In Me, and Stronger Together respectively):

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Ni-UHfDZjag

https://youtube.com/watch?v=acd434QjvVM

https://youtube.com/watch?v=kwOfN-SzQHw

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
i've been binging this show for a week and it's really remarkable how much of a pain season 2 - and significant chunks of season 3 - are to watch after season 1 being almost totally episodic made the viewing order not important. I even like the 'origin story' being the season 1 finale because it feels like getting 'rewarded' for being able to derive how the show works from the formula of all the previous episodes.

the main standout to me in the early stuff was Princess Fragrance, which is structured almost exactly like a Phineas & Ferb episode where the A- and B- plots resolve each other perfectly. After that there aren't really any amazing episodes until Oblivio, Timetagger and Chat Blanc blew me out of the water at the end of season 3, but apart from Stormy Weather 2 I've always walked away pleased with having watched an episode, no matter how formulaic it gets.

I'm currently just starting season 4, and while the shift away from episodic storytelling is dramatic I'm really happy with the results. It kind of feels like the writers managed to get through all of the eternal-status-quo ideas in season 3 and went all hands on deck on moving the story forward rather than circling the drain on gabriel staring at his wife's monument every episode.

I do have one insane nitpick, though; there's a 'distraught marinette' variation of the standard Ladybug transformation sequence from season 2 onwards, and I keep getting annoyed when they use the standard 'happy marinette' variation even when she's clearly upset. [simpsons comic book fan voice] i sure hope somebody got fired for that blunder

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also the Christmas episode of Season 2 technically takes place during Season 1

Speaking of, what is a good place to get reliable chronological episode guides for the series (including the specials since Season 5 made both Hong Kong and New York canon and I am positive the whole “Supreme” thing from Paris is going to come back into play before long)? I just recently started a rewatch of the show

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Larryb posted:

In other news, Christina Vee recently covered a couple of songs she wasn’t allowed to sing during the movie (You Are Ladybug, Courage In Me, and Stronger Together respectively):

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Ni-UHfDZjag

I like Vee's take a lot better than the one that was in the movie. Also, now I want the version of the series where Tikki is a punk rocker.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
okay i've gotten part of the way into season 5. why are we doing an almost direct reference to Worm. what the hell

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

I like Vee's take a lot better than the one that was in the movie. Also, now I want the version of the series where Tikki is a punk rocker.

Vee outclasses the movie singer in all three honestly, all the more reason why she should have just been allowed to do the songs herself (I believe Bryce Papenbrook himself admitted he was a bit tone deaf so Adrien getting a new singing voice in the film is less of an issue to me)

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

ok, finished season 5. i was really happy with basically everything right up until the story decided that resetting the universe with the forbidden cosmic power is actually fine if you do it correctly, thus making every time marinette or adrien asked 'hey what if we used our forbidden cosmic power for good?' absolutely justified and the reasoning presented against it facile. it's neither a good conclusion to the 5 season arc nor a good way to set up what amounts to a reboot - just write another show if you want to tell a very different story with the same characters! you don't have to be a cinematic universe! christ!

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
But what if the dump truck of money they parked in front your house for more seasons was even shinier than usual and had MORE MOVIES written on the side.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

From what I hear, ending at Season 5 was the original plan but I’ll be curious how much longer they’ll be able to milk this show for (we’ve got at least two more seasons, 3 confirmed specials, and possibly another movie on the horizon so far).

Though I guess there are a few more avenues left to explore like a proper identity reveal between Marinette and Adrien that actually sticks (especially since they’re officially a couple now), exploring exactly who or what Lila/Cerise/Whoever actually is and if she has an actual goal in mind or is basically this universe’s version of the Joker and just wants to watch the world burn, and I’m pretty confident “The Supreme” mentioned in the most recent special is gonna be important fairly soon (and might be related to the weird flash of light Lila saw at the end of S5)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Doesn’t really tell us much but I guess this means we’ll be getting the next movie sooner rather than later (wonder if they’ll bring Lila in for this seeing as Natalie doesn’t really strike me as main villain material)

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

ungulateman posted:

ok, finished season 5. i was really happy with basically everything right up until the story decided that resetting the universe with the forbidden cosmic power is actually fine if you do it correctly, thus making every time marinette or adrien asked 'hey what if we used our forbidden cosmic power for good?' absolutely justified and the reasoning presented against it facile. it's neither a good conclusion to the 5 season arc nor a good way to set up what amounts to a reboot - just write another show if you want to tell a very different story with the same characters! you don't have to be a cinematic universe! christ!

The writers seem to want us to accept it because Gabriel volunteered to be the sacrifice, but it didn't seem like a fair trade that Gabriel was able to sacrifice himself to save Natalie. An equivalent exchange would be buying her whatever time he had left. It opens a loophole that Ladybug and Cat Noir could cut deaths from terminal illness in half if they could get half the patients to sacrifice the time they had left to save the other half. Gabriel shouldn't have gotten cataclysmed if they wanted the trade to make complete sense. Also, in prior episodes, the show implicitly seemed to treat the universe rebooting as an apocalypse, like the episode where Gabriel won and Sass the snake kwami reset it, rather than following Star Trek transporter rules.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Feb 1, 2024

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also Marinette and Lila seemed like they were immune to the effects of the reboot for whatever reason (the former still remembers the truth about Gabe and we still don’t really know who or what the latter is and what her deal is besides being an agent of chaos)

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

I dunno, I kind of feel like the finale was a bait and switch. Like this is either still Adrien’s iWatch-induced hallucination or Marinette got sucked in when Hawkmoth defeated her and this is her attempt to subvert it. Everyone’s just too passive and quiescent, it’s too pat. And Lila knowing about the hypnowatches would explain why she’s still active and outside everything going on and unaffected. Maybe I’m too paranoid or need to rewatch because it’s definitely been awhile but it just felt fake.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
My wild rear end guess... Next season, Adrian finds out that his father made the wish, and Ladybug was there, so putting two and two together manages to steal her miraculous to make a wish to bring Gabriel back. When he asks Gimme to do so and offers his life, he's told that isn't enough... so, in a horrifying twist that'll piss the Internet off, Adrian offers his relationship, making it that he and Marrienette never meet. Thus leads to a tonne of weird time fractures, where we get Scarab and Kitty Noir as our heroes, maybe nice Chloe, whatever the case the world us messed up and there's a new Hawkmoth to fill the void as Gabriel never needed to save his wife. Marrienette doesn't remember her old life, but realises she needs to fix things. The other twist, however is that shes the Hawkmoth as she never broke out of her bullied, lonely self and uses her akumas on her bullies.

Hopefully my idea doesn't happen and they just timeskip to when they're adults or something.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Isn't there a statute of limitations on spoiler tags? Season ended quite a while ago.

I feel you have to wait and see how Felix plays into the new team dynamic, and particularly whether they go with "everyone knows it's him" or not, since he did transform in front of a lot of people. I'm hoping he's supposed to be the "friend who knows my identity" asset for Adrien that Marinette has in Alya so he doesn't have to be so alone with his thoughts.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Just to be on the safe side with spoiler tags as it was taking ages for Disney Plus to get the episodes... it still hasn't gotten the Recycling or Shady Bug specials.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

PowerBeard posted:

Just to be on the safe side with spoiler tags as it was taking ages for Disney Plus to get the episodes... it still hasn't gotten the Recycling or Shady Bug specials.

Not sure about the former but the latter’s been out for a little while now:

https://www.disneyplus.com/movies/miraculous-world-paris-tales-of-shadybug-and-claw-noir/3wuHNi25jn5k

Anyway, I kind of doubt that theory since they seem to be setting Lila up as the next Hawkmoth as prophesied back in the Time Tagger episode (whatever appeared in her lair will probably be her new partner/master as well)

I’m also hoping for a permanent identity reveal between Marinette and Adrien like in the movie and the whole “Supreme” thing from the Paris special felt like it’s gonna be important later.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Feb 1, 2024

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Weirdly, not available in Disney Plus in Europe.

Have we gotten any concrete dates other than "we're working on stuff" posts on Twitter?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

PowerBeard posted:

Have we gotten any concrete dates other than "we're working on stuff" posts on Twitter?

Ah, no idea then. And no, as far as I’m aware Season 6 is still slated for “late 2024” (though there is apparently another special coming out in August)

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

PowerBeard posted:

Try a vpn that looks like it’s coming from the us?

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Oh I've already watched the episodes, it's more just curious how it's taking them so long to make it available.

As for spoiler tag usage, do we wait a week after the release of the English dub for normal episodes and then a bit longer for Specials / Movies / Season finales. The problem being subbed / French or other languages release earlier and in different order, so relying on those dates can spoil dubbed episodes. It's probably why everyone is still cagey about spoilers for the finale and movue even now.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
If you’ve got a Kung Fu Tea near you they’re doing Ladybug flavors and free stickers.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

I actually do lol I gotta see if they have any of this.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

kefkafloyd posted:

If you’ve got a Kung Fu Tea near you they’re doing Ladybug flavors and free stickers.

Hell. We don't get it often because so much sugar, but I think about the matcha slushie with red beans often. Might just get 'em sometime and finally watch the special with the alternate universe stuff.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Those drinks are really tasty! Did 70% sugar on the ladybug one and that was the right call, very refreshing. Cat Noir's was very satisfying, too. That multiverse special was great, too!

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

I'm gonna follow up on my previous comments with a Tumblr post about the season 5 finale that has, while not exactly turned me around on it because I think it's still bad for other reasons, made me realise it's not actually the total dumpster fire I thought it was initially:

https://buggachat.tumblr.com/post/721774758677626880/to-be-clear-i-goddamn-hated-the-finale-on-first

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, we’re apparently getting some new characters next season:

https://twitter.com/MLNewsWorld/status/1756699192549069093

Whether they’ll become Miraculous holders remains to be seen though (just because all the current ones have a master doesn’t mean they can’t still invent more, look at the Shanghai special for example)

As for Season 6 itself I imagine we should be getting our first trailer by at least the summer (looking forward to seeing Lyla’s new villain form and finding out who or what that flash at the end was, I think that was the first time she was ever genuinely scared)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Feb 17, 2024

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

ungulateman posted:

I'm gonna follow up on my previous comments with a Tumblr post about the season 5 finale that has, while not exactly turned me around on it because I think it's still bad for other reasons, made me realise it's not actually the total dumpster fire I thought it was initially:

https://buggachat.tumblr.com/post/721774758677626880/to-be-clear-i-goddamn-hated-the-finale-on-first

Yeah, I can agree with this take. It’s very, very human mistakes that will lead to serious Drama, not evil supervillains and world bending powers, because that’s always what it is at the end of the day, and Astruc is very good about giving his characters very human flaws.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Seems we’ll be getting at least one more special set during Season 5:

https://twitter.com/MLNewsWorld/status/1784259860428902667

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
More time hopping shenanigans, could range from a timeliness with Ladybug (like the title kinda suggests) or in the far future.