Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Just once I'd like Hawkmoth to end an episode with "You may have won this time Ladybug and Cat Noir, but.... ummm.... drat, can't think of a cute pun to sign off with..." Maybe that's one of the powers of the Moth miraculous, the power of Dad Jokes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

BioEnchanted posted:

Just once I'd like Hawkmoth to end an episode with "You may have won this time Ladybug and Cat Noir, but.... ummm.... drat, can't think of a cute pun to sign off with..." Maybe that's one of the powers of the Moth miraculous, the power of Dad Jokes

Before his wife got shoved in a glass bubble he was a Dad Joke telling machine. Now Hawkmoth is his only outlet for them. It's the true tragedy of the series.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Being a shy nerd who starts punning and hamming it up in their alter ego just runs in the family, I guess.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I loved Gabriel's completely :geno: reaction to the events of 'Startrain'. "I lost control of an akuma and now a train's been shot into space with my son aboard. Welp, Ladybug and Cat Noir will save him somehow, I guess." [Goes back to designing an outfit]

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

Being a shy nerd who starts punning and hamming it up in their alter ego just runs in the family, I guess.

Being a shy nerd who turns into an extra from the loving Matrix with his literal sunglasses miraculous is much cooler tho.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Feast is out and goddamn this wonky release schedule is ruining this season. If you have managed to successfully resist watching up til now just wait for the final few episodes and watch them all in proper order. This ep should have aired way before at least a half dozen others and makes a lot of them make much more sense. It explains sentimonsters in detail, shows Natalie getting sick and Adrian reacting to in a bit of a heartbreaking way, fleshes out Fu’s background and throws a huge curveball into the show’s basic tenets (the old destroyed temple comes back along with all the monks and presumably all the other miraculous boxes mentioned earlier in the episode). Alya goes all master detective and reveals why Fu was hiding in that movie theater in a previous episode and how Hawkmoth found out his identity... just a ton of plot. Oh yeah and Marinette is officially anointed by Fu as the future guardian of the miraculous. It’s nuts how much stuff happens in this episode.

It also apparently bolsters a theory I hadn’t heard before that Adrian is a sentimonster which would explain why his mom kept using the peacock even though it was killing her (to keep him in existence) and why Gabriel is so frantic to get the miraculous (not only his wife but his sons life depends on him having them to fix the peacock which would be a two for one solution to his problem without the life for a life deal everyone is expecting). The whole sentimonster thing in ‘Ladybug’ where it starts to exhibit free will is put in a whole new light by this theory. It was apparently put out by some podcast and Astruc himself liked a comment about it but who knows what that means if anything.

Speaking of which does anyone know which podcast? NM it was user flightfoot on Tumblr quoted by the Overly Animated podcast (but apparently it was being talked about previously on tumblr)

Oracle fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Sep 19, 2019

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Wow, yes, this episode really should have aired in the right order. I think it's a new record for the amount of lore crammed in as well.

Season 3's production order actually goes as follows:
Chameleon, Animaestro, Bakerix, Backwarder, Reflekdoll, Weredad, Silencer, Onichan, Miraculer, Oblivio, Desperada, Chrismaster, Startrain, Kwami Buster, Feast, Gamer 2.0, Stormy Weather 2, Ikari Gozen, Timetagger, Party Crasher, Puppeteer 2, Chat Blanc, Felix, Ladybug, Love Eater, Miracle Queen. (Bold ones yet to air.) So even things like Alix's bunny joke this episode would have worked better in order.

The 'Adrien is a sentimonster created by his mother' theory is something I hadn't heard until literally this week, and now it seems to be everywhere. No way this show would go that dark, surely. Surely? (I have been wondering of late how the storylines would have gone if Astruc's original concept - aimed at an older audience - had been followed. I bet they would have been a lot stricter with the running order, for a start!)

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
This season has been amazing, but this scheduling and release schedule is messing with my head.

As for theories about the show, I try to avoid them. I try to keep my expectations low with some things and go from there.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I'm glad I've only peeked at two or so episodes this season. Thanks Payndz for the order list, I'll definitely be using it when it's all up on Netflix.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Something I just remembered about 'Feast'; Alya says Ladybug first turned up "a few months ago". So the first two and a half seasons take place from the start of the school year in September to... well, just past Christmas, to fit in 'Santa Claws'. That's an akumatisation every three days or so (plus the 20+ times Mr Pigeon reappeared, and the villains we heard about but didn't see). No wonder Marinette's exhausted!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Marinette's just gonna rent a blimp and broadcast a message saying "Alright Hawkmoth, I don't know who the gently caress you are and I don't care, could you please just... NOT.. for a week! Give me a drat rest!"

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

BioEnchanted posted:

Robodog posted:

Before his wife got shoved in a glass bubble he was a Dad Joke telling machine. Now Hawkmoth is his only outlet for them. It's the true tragedy of the series.

Feast: So when he just yelled "NO! THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE!" after Feast was defeated, where the typical revenge threat would go, I thought he just didn't have any this time. And then it turned out he just wanted to pun at his wife's frozen body.

Incredible.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Just realised how future episodes with other heroes will go now Marinette is going to become the new guardian of the Miraculous box:

Marinette: Tikki, spots on!
[Ladybug leaves the bakery, where said important thing is kept. Stuff happens]
Ladybug: Lucky charm!
[A baguette/croissant/macaron appears]
Ladybug: God loving drat it. [Goes back home]

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
After Feast, I fully expect The revived Monks to come along and try take the miraculous back or have their own students use them to show Marionette up.

That ending opens up a big can of worms for next season.

Sneaksie Taffer
Sep 21, 2009

A snippet of animation freon the upcoming movie...

https://www.instagram.com/p/B3N4BKsAh-O/?hl=en

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Is the movie getting the straight to DVD release?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Since I'm way behind, I have to ask: Do we know if the general public of Paris have become aware of who Hawkmoth is? I know the heroes do, since Volpina used his identity.

It seems like he operates in such secrecy, yet maybe everyone knows who he is because basically everyone has been akumatized by now.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Craptacular! posted:

Since I'm way behind, I have to ask: Do we know if the general public of Paris have become aware of who Hawkmoth is? I know the heroes do, since Volpina used his identity.

It seems like he operates in such secrecy, yet maybe everyone knows who he is because basically everyone has been akumatized by now.

In Origins Part II he forms a 3D mock up of his own head out of akumatized butterflies in front of Ladybug, Chat Noir, the police, and news crews to brag at the Eiffel Tower about how powerful he is and how they won't defeat him and etc etc and ladybug just yoyo'd all the butterflies after telling him she wouldn't let him succeed, so I'm gonna guess yeah, they've known the whole time.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Craptacular! posted:

He comes out into the open as Scarlet Moth in 'Catalyst'.

quote:

It seems like he operates in such secrecy, yet maybe everyone knows who he is because basically everyone within 200 yards of his house has been akumatized by now.

In the ongoing scheduling fuckaroony, the first part of the season 3 finale has apparently been scheduled for this weekend in (I think) Ukraine, before at least two key episodes that are meant to air before it, and with the second part nowhere in sight. Still, at least they aren't showing the last part first, as they almost did with the Bourgeois trilogy last season.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
There is an actual competition going on between networks for who can gently caress up the broadcast order the most at this point.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
'Kwami Buster' is another episode that would have benefited from being shown in the right order, with a whole bunch of things either called back to or followed up later. Marinette having the mental endurance to use multiple miraculouseseses at once without cracking up had to be a big factor in Fu's decision to make her the new guardian in 'Feast'. And we also found out where Adrien got his banana costume.

Entertaining story all the same. Multimouse's powers were used in fun and creative ways. And they got all the inevitable Ghostbusters references out of the way in one quick burst!

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Wait so if most of France knows who Hawkmoth is, why haven't there been any attempts to arrest him?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

They know what he looks like, but there's no way the public at large knows that he's Gabriel.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Takoluka posted:

They know what he looks like, but there's no way the public at large knows that he's Gabriel.

Also as far as Paris knows, Gabriel couldn't possibly be Hawkmoth because he was the Collector. He gave himself a brilliant alibi with that gambit. "Why would you think it is me? I've been akumatised too, I'm a victim of this bastard as well, just like you!"

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
We also saw in 'Ladybug' that Gabriel is about a head shorter than Hawk Moth when he detransforms, despite already being one of the tallest characters in the show. Maybe he has self-image issues (on top of, y'know, literally everything else).

Random thought: how many of the regular/recurring characters haven't been akumatised by now? Marinette and Adrien aside although Hawky almost got Marinette in 'Ladybug', and 'Chat Blanc' is still to come..., I count Sabine, Alex, Fu, Mr Kubdel, the other guy at the hotel who isn't Jean-[whoever], Bob Ross, XY, the fire chief and now Mr Banana. Beyond that we're into background extras like Nadja's cameraman.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Payndz posted:

We also saw in 'Ladybug' that Gabriel is about a head shorter than Hawk Moth when he detransforms, despite already being one of the tallest characters in the show. Maybe he has self-image issues (on top of, y'know, literally everything else).

Random thought: how many of the regular/recurring characters haven't been akumatised by now? Marinette and Adrien aside although Hawky almost got Marinette in 'Ladybug', and 'Chat Blanc' is still to come..., I count Sabine, Alex, Fu, Mr Kubdel, the other guy at the hotel who isn't Jean-[whoever], Bob Ross, XY, the fire chief and now Mr Banana. Beyond that we're into background extras like Nadja's cameraman.

That's something I like about Marinette, she's not the perfect little superhero - she has gotten pissed off enough to almost get akumatised herself, hell, the first time it happened she didn't pull herself out of it in time, if her teacher hadn't seen the moth and panicked, it would have got her.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Incidentally, 'Kwami Buster' confirms that every episode to date has taken place within a single school year, which started in September. Since 'Dark Cupid' from season 1 was set on Valentine's Day (Feb 14th), the pace of akumatisations must have really accelerated since then. No wonder Marinette is constantly exhausted and getting more snippy as the show goes on!

Also, the cartoon Thomas Astruc can produce animation a lot faster than the real one, if he got an entire animated movie out in at most 10 months.

Sneaksie Taffer
Sep 21, 2009

Payndz posted:

Alix was Timebreaker. Alya's mom is still unakumatized, being the sole person in their family who hasn't been. The art teacher? He barely shows up, though.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
By Alex I meant the TV presenter guy. Or is he Alec?

Forgot about the terrifyingly out-of-style art teacher. That they created a new character and set that have barely been used since suggests they had plans for him that so far haven't worked out. (Like Gagotor and the basketball player who featured in the season 2 promotional stuff but haven't appeared yet.)

Edit: apparently 'Gagotor' (which in the French version would have cast a famous French comedian as the villain) was completely scrapped, and from the phrasing of one of the production team on Twitter, there may have been some drama involved.

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Oct 13, 2019

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Loveater is all kinds of tragic and fun. You can see all of Hawkmoths planning pay off.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

So are all the episodes actually out now, and what order do they actually happen in?

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Just checked US Netflix and no, the latest episodes haven't come out yet.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

No, not yet, and we're all hosed til December if we don't want to watch the last (three? Four?) episodes out of order. The order itself I believe is posted by Payndz abovethread.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I caved and watched 'Loveater' (okay, 'Heart Hunter') and now wish I hadn't. Not because I didn't like it; I thought it was great. It took a totally different approach to last season's two-part big finale, making the story very personal poor Marinette :smith: rather than a big action extravaganza (though I'm sure that's coming). Seeing Hawk Moth put devious plans in motion rather than his usual "I'll akumatise this random person and see what happens" approach is always good fun.

The downside is now having to wait until at least December to see how it all ends.And there are still two episodes before it yet to air with no set dates. God drat it!

Edit: there's apparently a leak of 'Miracle Queen' because I've now (accidentally) seen two separate spoiler images from it. :argh: But I want to see the two remaining episodes first. Arse!

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Oct 14, 2019

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
The only clear solution is to marathon it all again in proper order before the last two episodes come out.

Edit: As for leaked episodes, it's a mixed bag of "image from upcoming episode but old episode", "image from upcoming episode but, link to dodgy website" or "image from upcoming episode but weird amv". I think I've had to wait a full day for anything concrete to be announced / released officially.

PowerBeard fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Oct 14, 2019

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

That's my plan. Wait until december and marathon it when they are all available.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Huh. Apparently the same Ukranian channel that aired 'Heart Hunter' is showing 'Miracle Queen' tomorrow. :stare:

Pop quiz, hotshot. The cliffhanging season finale will be available before two other episodes. Whaddyou do, whaddyou do?

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Well gently caress. Guess I'd eat my dessert before the main course. How is this even happening? Who messes up the schedule that much?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

PowerBeard posted:

Well gently caress. Guess I'd eat my dessert before the main course. How is this even happening? Who messes up the schedule that much?

Evil people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

"Scheduler! This is Hawkmoth! You are to use the power to rearrange airing schedules at will to annoy Ladybug and Cat Noire by messing with their cartoons. Then you will trade a sane airing date for their Miraculous!"

"Yes Hawkmoth!"