Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kontour
May 21, 2008

Miracle Blade Baby!

Kontour fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jan 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Sounds like you're pretty hard on poo poo.

Instead of paint, you could consider something like u-pol raptor, which is like a tintable bedliner. makes more sense for something that could take tree branches to the face.

I don't know how much you're willing to cut but if you don't have a back window to worry about, you could go with a T800 daycab style hump. Like a gurney bubble for your butt.

The only other solution i could imagine is a racing style seat to reclaim a little space the padding takes up.

Comedy answer for your A/C issue is a rooftop unit off a caravan on the roof. Realistic answer is vintage air, they have some pretty compact systems. https://www.vintageair.com/builder-series/

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Another land cruiser pickup truck?

:getin:

There needs to be more of us.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Oh man, I love those trucks, and that one has been done up Right. That interior especially gives me a boner I could drive nails with, holy poo poo. More pictures of that please.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
where are you? so weird to see a 6.5 in a LC, much less a RHD one.

More pics of that interior, I'm copying that poo poo

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

cursedshitbox posted:

where are you? so weird to see a 6.5 in a LC, much less a RHD one.

This.

Also I'm a weirdo for thinking that interior isn't spartan enough, but then again, I own a FJ45 that came to me with an interior like this:

Kontour
May 21, 2008

Miracle Blade Baby!

Kontour fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jan 12, 2020

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Kontour posted:

As a side note can anyone tell me what this little speaker is, I’ve never heard it make a sound or seen the leds on and I can’t work out what it’s connected to without pulling the dash. The white pot is labeled sensitivity. Microphone for an old security system perhaps?

Bingo. Newer ones just listen for the sound of glass shattering. There's also ultrasonic detectors as well to sense motion inside the vehicle, but whatever alarm was in this thing likely predated those.

Odd for it to be out in the open though. Usually they're hidden.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I'm surprised shops are worried about putting air con in one of those beasts. I thought it would be simple.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

You could probably rip out the 6.5L and drop in a 4.2L FTE, wind it up to 500WHP and 1300nm of torque and still wind up with a more reliable engine.

Kontour
May 21, 2008

Miracle Blade Baby!

Kontour fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Jan 12, 2020

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

I was going to say that the fix for the 80 series shearing hub bolts and studs is to upgrade to the 105 series stuff, but the direct swap option also comes with the side effect of 5 stud hubs. And I have absolutely no idea whether 105 series stuff fits into 75 series axles!

As for that broken stud, probably the simplest least head fucky method would be to find a machine shop and get them to bore it out with a carbide end mill. Get them to bore the hubs to 10mm while they’re at it for the bigger dowels

Other option is swap in the entire axle from a HDJ79 ute, but again, 5 stud rims

Kontour
May 21, 2008

Miracle Blade Baby!

Ferremit posted:

I was going to say that the fix for the 80 series shearing hub bolts and studs is to upgrade to the 105 series stuff, but the direct swap option also comes with the side effect of 5 stud hubs. And I have absolutely no idea whether 105 series stuff fits into 75 series axles!

As for that broken stud, probably the simplest least head fucky method would be to find a machine shop and get them to bore it out with a carbide end mill. Get them to bore the hubs to 10mm while they’re at it for the bigger dowels

Other option is swap in the entire axle from a HDJ79 ute, but again, 5 stud rims

As far as I'm aware, none of the newer stuff is cross compatible with the 75. I have no idea where to start with machine shops, maybe an engine re-builder or something?

Swapped the glow plugs over today.

As far as I can tell, the glow circuit on this thing is just a momentary rocker switch in the cab wired directly to a relay in the engine bay with no timer or anything on it. Had a bit of a scare the other day when the momentary rocker got jammed on and it took me a few minutes to realize. Despite me having visions of plugs with the ends melted off, or tips having fallen into the cylinders, the 3 or 4 I pulled when I got home looked fine. Still decided to change them over as I'd heard bad things about the Diesel RX plugs that were in it and apparently the Bosch Duratherms have regulation built in to them to stop them burning out if left on. Plus all 8 were under $100 aud shipped.

Old on the left, fancy new one on the right (after being wound in to make sure it fit right)

1, 3, 5 and 7 done. Gonna have to replace the spade connectors on the wiring at some point.

Got 8, 6 and 4 sorted on the other side but I had issues with no. 2. The plug would unscrew ok, but the end wouldn't come out of the block. I was pretty sure the plug had swollen and it was either going to snap off, leaving the tip inside or I was going to have to drill it out. After about an hour of gentle persuasion (pliers, socket, turning the engine over) i managed to get it out.

Troublesome plug on the right, doesn't appear majorly swollen. Perhaps carbon build up was what was causing the issue?

Kontour
May 21, 2008

Miracle Blade Baby!

Kontour fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Jan 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kontour
May 21, 2008

Miracle Blade Baby!

Kontour fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jan 12, 2020