Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Hey, Paisanos! It's the Super Mario Bros Maker Super Show!

I am currently so filled with hype for Super Mario Maker 2 that if I don't get some of it out my head might explode like the movie Scanners. I will never forget the day Super Mario Maker came out.

In this thread, please discuss what you want to see in the upcoming game Super Mario Maker 2. Also discuss what you want to see in the Super Mario Maker 2 thread (besides hundreds of cool goon levels).

Here's a trailer analysis by Ceave for you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qv8n4QllRL8
The red and green balloons are speculated to be cooperative level designing?

Ceave's tips on making a level:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrFrT7-19JI

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jun 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I'm gonna make the mario

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I am beyond hyped for this. I've been waiting for a Mario Maker Switch announcement since the Switch was first announced! I love that they spent the first 20 seconds of the trailer focused solely on slopes. Some stuff I really want to see:

• More power-ups. The trailer showed power up wheels that didn't have anything new apart from the cat suit, but hopefully they're just holding back for now. At the very least I want the ice flower to be available.
  • Backwards compatibility. Let me access my old levels from MM1 and reupload them with the option to add the new stuff.
  • Vertical levels. It's hard to tell if these are in based on the trailer. One shot of a SMW ghost house looked like it might be more of a vertical stage but another shot showed us what looked like the same level height as the old game so it's hard to tell.
  • Level revisions. Let me modify and reupload a level without losing my stars/play counts.
  • Playlists. I want to make a full games worth of levels people can play through. Ideally any level could be added to it so collabs can be a thing. An over world editor would be even better but I'm not holding my breath for that.
  • Placeable water. The trailed shows you can have water at the bottom of a stage and have it rise and fall, but I also want full control of where water goes.

I can't wait to get back to creating levels and seeing what you all come up with!

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Mario!

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

:yeah:

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

The reason why it was stupid for me to make this thread is that the information flow about this game is likely to be:
The 90 second trailer we just saw this week.
Nothing for four months.
An entire day of tree house at e3, possibly with a Nintendo World Championship.
At the end of that day they say "and you can play it right now/next week!"

J-Spot posted:

[*]More power-ups. The trailer showed power up wheels that didn't have anything new apart from the cat suit, but hopefully they're just holding back for now. At the very least I want the ice flower to be available.

My top pick is the Hammer Bros. Suit, but honestly Ice Flower would be even better than that.

The things you listed are all things I'm hoping for. I'd also love to see a SMB2 USA style.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

J-Spot posted:

[*]Level revisions. Let me modify and reupload a level without losing my stars/play counts.

This one doesn't make sense imo unless there is some sort of limit on how much you can change a level

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

One thing I noticed about the slopes is they always transition into a horizontal block on both ends of the slope. This means it won't be possible to make a gradual slope change to a steep slope without a flat surface in between, and you won't be able to have a slope at the end of a platform.
Perhaps you can get around this by deleting the flat surface at the end or selecting and moving slopes closer together, or maybe Nintendo hasn't finished fine tuning the implementation of slopes just yet.

The first Mario Maker was incredible and this sequel is only going to improve and build on it, one of my most anticipated games ever

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

SMM was my favorite Wii U game (and I really liked the Wii U). I'm beyond excited for it. I made so many levels and got, like, two away from the highest star level.

I'd really like to see selectable music (not having it tied to the design) and some sort of faux Miiverse to host comments.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

MMF Freeway posted:

This one doesn't make sense imo unless there is some sort of limit on how much you can change a level

Little Big Planet did this with no restrictions so I don’t see why it can’t be done here. It was good because you could bookmark a WIP level and come back to it later.

J-Spot fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Feb 17, 2019

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

DalaranJ posted:

The reason why it was stupid for me to make this thread is that the information flow about this game is likely to be:
The 90 second trailer we just saw this week.
Nothing for four months.
An entire day of tree house at e3, possibly with a Nintendo World Championship.
At the end of that day they say "and you can play it right now/next week!"

We can play each other's levels again while we wait, maybe?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

J-Spot posted:

Little Big Planet did this with no restrictions so I don’t see why it can’t be done here.

I mean if you change a level enough then its not really the same level anymore

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Give me obnoxious SMB castle maze loops

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Slopes, skins, enemies, powerups, those are all nice, but let's not lose sight of what's really important: Stuffing your levels with as many obnoxious audio/visual triggers as possible, and I hope there are really goofy new ones.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

I want to be able to unlock all the costumes without having some locked behind bullshit Kaizo levels. Give me a continue for ultra-expert or let me trade in ten expert clears for one ultra-expert or something.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Let people chain levels together to make little campaigns imo. I want there to be a way for me to jump into levels that are actually designed to be fun, not a bunch of turbo hard/puzzle/gimmick deathtraps.

It would be awesome if they had some kind of curation to highlight thoughtful designs.

Heck, let people make little overworlds.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Rather than cameo character skins, I'd like to see enemies or stage elements from other games, although I have no idea how you'd integrate them across all the different skins.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Phantasium posted:

We can play each other's levels again while we wait, maybe?

Of course. I was going to provide a curated list from the old thread, but I could dump the whole database if you want too.

Nep-Nep posted:

Slopes, skins, enemies, powerups, those are all nice, but let's not lose sight of what's really important: Stuffing your levels with as many obnoxious audio/visual triggers as possible, and I hope there are really goofy new ones.

The frog has a more prominent place in the UI now, so I think it’s likely.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Rather than cameo character skins,

Whoa, whoa, slow down there, what about the Bowsette costume mushroom?

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I want them to get rid of the fastest time cleared tracker and replace it with the 3 big coins. Let us hide the coins and track the players that find them all.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
This game is gonna be worth it to everyone for the levels I upload alone

Argue fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Feb 17, 2019

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I can never seem to fire the creative engines up myself, though I never tried very hard in the original either. Loved messing with other people's creations though so this is very much a day one pre-order (please don't pre-order)

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
I didn't get the original one because by the time I had money it was clear that Wii U was dying, so I'm incredibly excited!
Can't wait to put Koopas in cars

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Thought of a thing. Let me make flame versions of all the enemies. Big winged flame hammer bros. Same for ice and cat suits.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

I can never seem to fire the creative engines up myself, though I never tried very hard in the original either. Loved messing with other people's creations though so this is very much a day one pre-order (please don't pre-order)

pfff, I had it preordered before best buy had the thumbnail loaded up, but also I can't think of a single game other than Mario Maker that I played for at least an hour daily for eight months in a row.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Tell me your theories about the coin counter in the trailer where it shows X/50 or X/120, etc. Do you think it unlocks check points? Finishes the level? Just a bonus objective?

If it turns out to be something that can be made mandatory to beat the levels that is going to make for some pretty lovely hunt for the hidden coins super expert trash.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
First level gonna be just one gigantic slope downwards right into the flagpole. Callin' it "BOY IS MY rear end RED".

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Mario, meet your maker 2

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Squibbles posted:

Tell me your theories about the coin counter in the trailer where it shows X/50 or X/120, etc. Do you think it unlocks check points? Finishes the level? Just a bonus objective?

If it turns out to be something that can be made mandatory to beat the levels that is going to make for some pretty lovely hunt for the hidden coins super expert trash.

I doubt it would unlock a checkpoint since those have to be in a fixed location, but hopefully if you hit a checkpoint it saves your coin count. It could be a mandatory thing but like you said that would lead to some pretty nasty levels and I'd probably be inclined to skip that type of level immediately in the 100 Mario challenge. They also need to allow the time limit to be turned off if they're going to do that.

I just noticed that in the trailer that the coin counter is tied to the flag icon on the left side in build mode which makes it more likely that it's a clear objective. You may be able to set additional objective types such as killing a certain number of enemies or killing a boss.

J-Spot fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Feb 17, 2019

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

man everything in the trailer buried the first game so hard for me. the sheer amount of new things you only get a glimpse of is really overwhelming--those trigger things that inflate boxes and the enemy pathway feature are going to be interesting. the degree of stuff to play will be insane too since this is now going to be on a system that way more people own.

dudeness posted:

First level gonna be just one gigantic slope downwards right into the flagpole. Callin' it "BOY IS MY rear end RED".

please loving do this I guarantee it'll be in the top ten most played levels for the duration of the game's lifetime

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Now that slopes are confirmed, what's the new slopes? Maps and secret exits? Because GIVE ME MAPS AND SECRET EXITS.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I hope they allocate the game enough memory to load all on-rails objects when you enter an area now, so you can build rotating platforms and hazards without the spacing getting screwed up by them loading at the player's approach

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

multijoe posted:

I hope they allocate the game enough memory to load all on-rails objects when you enter an area now, so you can build rotating platforms and hazards without the spacing getting screwed up by them loading at the player's approach

Global cycles might make things a huge pain in the rear end to test, honestly.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

J-Spot posted:

I doubt it would unlock a checkpoint since those have to be in a fixed location, but hopefully if you hit a checkpoint it saves your coin count. It could be a mandatory thing but like you said that would lead to some pretty nasty levels and I'd probably be inclined to skip that type of level immediately in the 100 Mario challenge. They also need to allow the time limit to be turned off if they're going to do that.

I just noticed that in the trailer that the coin counter is tied to the flag icon on the left side in build mode which makes it more likely that it's a clear objective. You may be able to set additional objective types such as killing a certain number of enemies or killing a boss.

Yeah, I wonder if they'll add any kind of filters to 100 mario. Ability to restrict by theme or block objective levels like that (if that's what it turns out to be)

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Stan Taylor posted:

Let people chain levels together to make little campaigns imo. I want there to be a way for me to jump into levels that are actually designed to be fun, not a bunch of turbo hard/puzzle/gimmick deathtraps.

It would be awesome if they had some kind of curation to highlight thoughtful designs.

Heck, let people make little overworlds.

If we can't at least chain 8 levels together, I'll be extremely disappointed.

Why wouldn't they want people to be able to create an entire Mario game? Are they afraid that people won't buy normal Mario games if they do?

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004
I'm very hopeful towards some actual "World" support. There are already a few things that will help, such as more background variety type. An actual interface or linked levels would be a massive help though.

With SMM, I managed to create 8 worlds with 4 levels each, roughly fitting into a theme. Looks like it'll be much easier to do this time around!

If anyone is interested in playing them, here are links to the old posts. Personal favorites are Mech 4, Ancient 3, and Vine 1.

Island World & Frozen World
Vine World
Mech World
Ancient World
Sky World
Magic World
Bowser’s World

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Here's a pie in the sky dream. It would be great if we could use a slider to choose the length x height ratio of levels.

I'd love some Mario 2 (or SMW Special Zone) style crazy vertical levels.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

If they do give the option to create world I don’t expect much from it. You might be able to string a playlist together and have them represented in a world view similar what you see when you advance through the 100 Mario challenge but I can’t see them adding an editor that allows for SMW style maps.

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004
Yeah, I don't expect worlds where you need to dodge Hammer Bros challenges along paths, and levels with multiple exits. I'm hoping at the very least its:
1) Linking levels together in a specific sequence.
2) Coins, 1-ups, and maybe even power ups being shared between them.

Maybe I'm just one of those weirdos that likes to see options for approaching Mario games in the traditional sense. Speed run, super expert and other gimmick levels already get a ton of support with the game.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Even stringing a playlist together would be a drastic improvement on nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I hope for more Boss enemies maybe the Koopalings.