Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Here's a pie in the sky dream. It would be great if we could use a slider to choose the length x height ratio of levels.

I'd love some Mario 2 (or SMW Special Zone) style crazy vertical levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
I'd love an overworld creator but I don't think it's absolutely necessary. It would of course make the game much better and would make for neat explanations or contexts for levels (enter a level set in an archipelago in the overworld and it makes sense that the level is made of solid raised platforms but the level has a "water" floor instead of soil, etc).

At the very least though, people need to be able to make sets of levels that are tied together, with potential for secret passages that take you straight to level X in the series, and hell, maybe even give people the option to bank powerups like in SMB3, or maybe let people stack multiple powerups you can drop down from the middle of the screen with the Select button like in SMW or whatever.

Rupert Buttermilk above is definitely right about how forcing levels to exist in a vacuum really takes away a lot of the game's potential though.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Apr 16, 2019

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Yeah, it would be great if Nintendo would put playlists into the game but call them "Worlds" or something.

Make a bunch of levels -> Menu -> Create New World -> Add levels to World -> Insert levels from your level bank -> edit your levels and put in level skips or whatever other context sensitive stuff you want in them -> share world code with friends -> go to rooftop party -> profit

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Apr 16, 2019

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
If we don't get a fully editable overworld map, then as a compromise I could see players getting a pre-configured flow chart template thing where you could make sort of a connect-the-dots type level path with your levels placed in them.

I could also see neat stuff like being able to add forks in the path and maybe level gates to later levels like "must have beaten X total levels and specifically level(s) X and Y to continue." etc.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
The youtube description mentions a stylus as a preorder bonus.

I wonder how/if that will work for people like me who buy all digital.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
If not a world editor, was there anything in the video that alluded to a level linking system or anything like that?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
I really hope all the stuff tied to night time mode gets de-coupled from it.

Like how fun would it be to have a level full of 1-up mushrooms and the poison-up mushrooms and you have to run through them all and stay net-positive or die, etc.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
I wish we'd get all the 2D Mario powerups.

I'm looking at you guys, Tanooki Mario and Frog Suit.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 01:11 on May 21, 2019

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
So in the direct, the narrator said "once you've unlocked the night versions of themes, you don't have to place the moon course part to use them."

I'm guessing that means we'll be able to use all the night themes without all the crazy extra effects having to be enabled, like windy deserts and upside down underground levels, right?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

sharrrk posted:

no, it means you don't have to place the moon to get the night effects, because i imagine most creators aren't going to want to give you a way to clear the screen of enemies

At the very least I hope the night effects can be decoupled from the night themes, because those themes are rad as hell and I’d rather not be stuck with effects that change the way the entire level plays just because I want to use Cool Background X that is dark over Cool Background Y that is bright.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Count me in as somebody who loved SMB1 world 3 also. But as a kid I didn't think of them as "night time" levels because every other thing in the level was still fully bright, unlike a game like Zelda 2 where dark caves showed everything in a dark blue hue.

SMB world 3 seemed a lot more like some secret place I wasn't supposed to be in or something, like a kind of nonsensical video-game place where unused assets were kept, which of course made it top shelf cool for me at the time.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 16:33 on May 23, 2019

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
MM2 will by my first Mario Maker game, and I'm really interested in getting real familiar with exactly how the skinner box aspect of Mario works.

For example, how many coins can I shower Mario in before the little "ca-ting!" sound effect doesn't trigger the reward center of my brain anymore.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 14:52 on May 24, 2019

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

If you really want to test your limits, play New Super Mario Bros. 2

I'm less interested in how hard the game can get and more interested in the whole psychological tension and release element of playing a video game. What's the perfect ratio of how hard the player needs to work to feel maximally rewarded when he gets a reward, and how much of a reward can you give the player before giving him more reward doesn't make him feel more excited?

Like... will dumping 150 coins in front of Mario after a hard segment really feel more rewarding than 20 or 30 coins, or will players feel about the same level of dopamine either way, as long as their brain registers "big reward" or something. So like if I put Mario at the bottom of a big coin funnel and have a bunch of coins fall onto him, will that do it? Will it feel less rewarding if Mario just stands there, even if he's just done something tough? Will it be more rewarding if I put Mario in a similar, but larger coin funnel so the player has to run and jump around just a little bit to get all of them? How many coins, etc?

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 15:01 on May 24, 2019

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

NSMB2 isn't hard, but it's entirely based around collecting insane amounts of coins

Oh sorry, I thought you meant "actual Japanese version of Super Mario Bros 2."

Maybe I should get a 3DS.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

You should! But be warned that NSMB2 isn't actually that great, I just suggested it because of the coin gimmick

I'm looking at some video of it and it looks fun. Also, as a bonus, it's a modern Mario game that gives Mario a decent running animation instead of the newer, completely idiotic one where he hits himself in the face with his fists every time he takes a step, so that's good.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
I checked out NSMB2 and yeah the golden powerup that lets you shoot golden fireballs that turn everything into coins is like crack.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
I never played Mario Maker 1. Does anybody know if Mario Maker can start levels out with a pre-populated ground plane? Seems like it would be easier to make levels by just erasing to make ground holes and drawing elevated platforms where you need them rather than having to first drag the ground stamp across the entire level and also filling in below that EVERY TIME you start.

If not, can you at least duplicate level files? So like, can you make a level you want to use as a template and name it TEMPLATE, then duplicate that file, rename it LEVEL 1, and then start editing that level?

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 15:35 on May 28, 2019

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Phantasium posted:

The ground starts premade.

Every video I've seen shows Mario starting on the edge of a cliff facing empty space. Is premade ground a selectable option or something?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Willo567 posted:

I just don't understand why this is what broke the camel's back when it came to Nintendo's lackluster online. For gently caress's sake, it's trending on Twitter

At least you can play multiplayer locally. It would have been more of a deal breaker to me than what's happening right now

Probably because it’s so much of an obvious low hanging fruit no-brainer that if added would improve the game by a such huge amount that people cannot believe Nintendo didn’t do it. Like, they had to at least have thought about it and actively decided not to do it.

Kind of like level-linking. I’m kind of surprised that didn’t start any trending, to be honest.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 23:24 on May 28, 2019

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
So I'm playing Mario Maker 1 and... can you really not rebind the SMW / NSMB spin jump to the A button? What the gently caress?

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 00:01 on May 29, 2019

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Polo-Rican posted:

A dream feature for me would be a mode where the game alerts me when someone plays my level, and I can spectate in real time. It's fun seeing the "X" marks on my levels that show where people die, but I want to see it actually happen!

Yeah that would own. Or maybe if not in real time, the game could generate a replay file and send it to your account or something. Every level acts the same every time so all you'd need would be a little file that recorded and played back player input, which would be tiny. A few kilobytes at most. Allocate space on your switch's drive for saves and you could select saving the last X playthroughs of each of the last Y players to play your level Z.

That would be great, but it would require Nintendo to understand how to best utilize the online aspect of a game so it will definitely never happen.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

DalaranJ posted:

Piranha plants in pipes spawn in the down position. This is bad design because it will cause players that are running to blind leap into a piranha plant they didn’t know existed.

I don't think that qualifies as inherently bad design. If you wanted to design pipes to be potentially dangerous objects then interior piranha plant spawning would be the ideal design. That way every time you see a pipe you'd have to slow down and investigate it for a bit to see if it's a threat. Just because the player wants to go fast doesn't mean the game is badly designed if it doesn't accommodate that at every opportunity. The game is at least as much about assessing, avoiding, and progressing around threats as it is about making the player feel like Sonic.

I do agree it would be nice to have the option for all spawn positions though. Interior, exterior, entering, exiting.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Polygon, eat your heart out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Yzl5dd4Yxc

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
3D World’s cat wall climbing mechanic alone is going to make for some very unique level types, I’m excited about that for sure. I hope the mode is not as feature-limited as it’s been described to be though. And if it is, well let’s hope they update the game over time.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
At the very least, levels with clear conditions should display exactly what those clear conditions are at the start of the level. Otherwise, expect a lot of getting to the end of a level with no way to go back and see "Clear Condition: collect 1 coin, you know, the one coin in the entire level that was in plain view behind the starting line that nobody would care about otherwise HAHAHA gently caress YOU."

Also, get ready for levels with clear conditions of like "collect 100 coins" with exactly 99 coins out in the open and a single coin in an invisible block somewhere.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
So hey, does anybody know if we can spawn empty shells into levels or can we only spawn turtles?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Sam Faust posted:

koopa shells no but you can spawn empty buzzy beatle shells, but those can also be used as power-ups. Depending on what you're trying that might be an issue.

Basically I think it would be cool to setup situations where you're given a shell and have to do one of those "grab shell, jump, throw shell against a wall and bounce off it in the air to jump really high over some wall" type moves. It would be more convenient to just get the shell first thing instead of having to eject the turtle from it first.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

J-Spot posted:

I seem to be incapable of pulling that move off. All of those mid air object jump techs everyone has latched onto are pretty annoying.

I can't do it moving forward yet but I can if I have the space to stand still. You have to do it real close to the wall, like the shell needs to be about 3/4ths of a Mario away from the wall and you have to release it at the right time, usually right around the apex of your jump.

I've actually had fun practicing. In MM1, I setup a pipe to output infinite turtles and a wall close by that I can only jump over by getting the shell jump right. It's been fun practicing, and it's such a pro-move that getting it right really makes you feel cool.

It's actually really fun setting up technique practice courses like that. I wish we could setup those levels with no timer and practice with no time pressure.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jun 6, 2019

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
One thing I’m relieved about (as somebody who didn’t play Mario Maker 1 until just recently) is that Mario actually feels good to control in all modes. I know that should seem obvious, but Mario seemed kinda sluggish to me in New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe, like he took forever to get up to full running speed.

For anybody curious, Mario feels zippy and responsive in Mario Maker.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

While checking out the invitational, the first round is in SMB3D World, and... wow, it actually looks pretty goddamned fun. The thing that REALLY sold me on it, though is that it looks like using the car will effectively allow people to make levels very much like classic Sonic the Hedgehog.

I am all over that.

Skip to around 32 minutes in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwQh6oYH7mk

3D World levels look really fun.

And those 2 player levels look... really fun. Dang. :)

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Tayter Swift posted:

I wanted to see the Invitational Saturday night so I searched YouTube for "super Mario maker invitational" and while the original video was nowhere to be found the first forty hits were reaction videos. Every last ones' thumbnail was the Youtuber making an exaggerated baboon face in front of a screenshot.

That's when I learned that that I have aged out of popular culture and I'm honestly a bit salty up over it.

E: Carl's vids are pretty bad in this regard too but he's fun to watch at GDQ events.

Don't be mad about this. You're missing out on reaction videos. They're all completely boring and useless. Here I'll sum up literally every one of them for you so you don't miss out:

"HEYYY WHATSUPEVERYBODY ITS [name] HERE AHAHAHAHA" *starts watching video* "WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA HAHAHAHAHAHAHA that's INSAAAANE I'M LITERALLY DYING AHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA. Please like and subscribe and enable notifications and donate to my Patreon account so I can keep doing this and providing you with this amazing content that you definitely love and it's a good thing I told you that otherwise you wouldn't know because it's definitely not something you hear in every single video on youtube now."

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jun 12, 2019

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

timp posted:

You thought you hated pick-a-pipe? How about long and difficult level where an On/Off switch is at the beginning and you don't know whether hitting it lets you win or NOT hitting it lets you win

On/Off switches are going to cause more rage than any other SMM2 item, calling that poo poo now

How many levels do you think are going to exist where you'll have to hit the ON/OFF button the correct number of times and with the right timing, to control the path of an off-screen turtle shell that eventually will hit the P switch to unblock your way to the flag. You'll just have to hit the button randomly and hope for the best without being able to see anything.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

timp posted:

Well I know what my first level is going to be now :getin:

HINT: the jumps will be synced with the soundtrack

Just make it so that if you get it wrong, the turtle shell filters down onto the same platform Mario has to stand on to hit the on/off switch. Of course this platform should also be book-ended by hard blocks to make the shell bounce back and fourth at Mario indefinitely.

Required blind guessing + huge price for failure = totally fun!

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jun 12, 2019

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
I still think forcing the pairing of night theme and mechanical effect is a dumb and bad idea. The night themes look fantastic but the effects that go with them are really gimmicky, and way less appealing than the night aesthetic. It would be so much better to be able to toggle effects on and off with a check box. Or you know, tie those effects to triggers in levels, like blocks or on/off switches.

It's just such an arbitrary constraint in a game that's otherwise entirely about being a platform (heh) for creativity and variety.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jun 13, 2019

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

DarkLich posted:

Do y'all feel anything would be lost if a maker simply said "Here's a collection of ice themed levels. Play them in any order you want!"?

I think that depends entirely on the levels. For example, if you design your second level with a ? block that has a Star in it... that can only be hit by flying up at it using the Racoon powerup you were able to keep from the last level, then yes, something would be lost if you started that level out of order with nothing. Also, if your last level is really super hard and you want to prep players for it by making your second-to-last level a cakewalk that throws 1UP mushrooms at Mario like confetti, then playing those out of order wouldn't make much sense either.

But yeah, if the person making the levels just wanted to make a bunch with no continuity to throw at the player, then nothing would be lost.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jun 13, 2019

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Phantasium posted:

It's this, but also it counts runs instead of users, so if your level is only played by one person who plays ten times and only clears it once, it's a 10% clear rate.

It would be a lot more telling if they displayed:
  • "all completed runs / all attempted runs" ratio
  • "number of players who have beaten the level / number of players who have attempted the level" ratio
  • ...and maybe an "average number of deaths before first clear" stat as well

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jun 14, 2019

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Has there been any evidence that we can make tracks invisible this time around? It was always jarring to see things like enemies and objects travel back and fourth on them while the tracks are right there in white against the background.

It would make for cleaner level design if we had the option to hide them.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

cheesetriangles posted:

Anyone else just going to make Mario levels that would be fitting in a real game and not just be a dick?

Troll levels? And waste my chance to finally show Nintendo how great of an idea it would be to hire me?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Awesome. The more powerups, the better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

TheAardvark posted:

What controllers are you all planning to use for this game?

I considered picking up something with a decent d-pad, but I know I'll be playing a lot undocked so I may just try and get used to platforming on the joystick.

Dualshock 4 with the 8-bitdo adapter and the vibrator connections cut. Why? Mostly because we live in Bizarro World where Sony makes an excellent d-pad, and Nintendo Switch d-pads all suck horribly.

I cut the vibrator leads because controller vibration in any form is annoying at best, and distracting and battery killing at worst, and for some reason the 8-bitdo and dualshock4 combo always vibrates even with all Switch vibrate settings off.

anyway, my body is ready.