Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

DmitriX posted:

Cyrogenics lab? like the morgue? I'd go for computer, tia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Come now! Look me in the eye and tell me - isn't this the face of a guy you can trust?
Lipstick Apathy
Chapter 04 - Page 109

As soon as you enter the room, the computer lights up. "PRESENT YOUR CREDENTIALS," a digital voice demands. It must be the computer.
You mutter something about being the new lab assistant.
"I JUDGE THAT TO BE... FALSE YOU HAVE COME HERE SEEKING ANSWERS. MY MEMORY BANKS CONTAIN ALL THE INFORMATION YOU DESIRE, BUT ACCESS IS FORBIDDEN."
You don't see a keyboard, so apparently voice commands are the only way to interact with this thing. "UNLESS, OF COURSE, YOU CAN BEST ME IN A COMPETITION OF MY CHOOSING," the computer continues. "BE WARY, HUMAN - NO FLESH CREATURE HAS EVER DEFEATED ME AND MY LIMITLESS MIND."

FREE ACTION
If you agree to compete with the supercomputer, draw clue 97.
There are two doors leading out of the supercomputer room. You start to open one door, and the computer shouts "DO NOT ATTEMPT TO ENTER THE ARMORY." You start to open the other door and the computer shouts "DO NOT ATTEMPT TO ENTER THE OBSERVATORY." This computer might be pushy, but it's also quite informative!
---------------------------

Do we want to take the computer's challenge? If so, what do you think the nature of the challenge is?

In any case, please choose:
--

If you take the observatory door, go to Story Card 108.
----
If you take the armory door, go to Story Card 94.

Current Psychic Power: 20 points, Level 04.

Current Danger Meter: 03 points, Difficulty 03.

Current Items:
Pocketknife: +1 to Fighting Challenges
Battery: Is a battery. Might be useful to power something later. We have 2!
Satellite Dish: Psychic senses say it's important. No currently known use.
Large Wooden Dowel: I like to think of it as an Andie. Psychically significant and +2 to Strength challenges.
Truck Keys: Keys to a truck, probably. Psychically significant.
Whirring Metal Sphere: It's less whirring and more glowing now. Psychically significant.
Marsden Family Ring: It's a fancy ring we found under a sleeping stuffed mouse. It's psychically significant.
Doll Queen Proof: We have defeated the Doll Queen in a psychic piano battle, and while there is no tangible evidence, we will carry this in our hearts forever.
Doll King Proof: We have also defeated the Doll King in a more humdrum but equally difficult Psychic Staring Contest. This has changed our lives in some way.
Large Metal Rod: It's no dowel, but it'll do I guess. Psychically significant.
Glass Key: We found it in a book. Psychically significant.
Keycard: It's like a glass key, but not made of glass and is a card. Psychically significant.
Climbing Boots: These sly boots give us +2 to climb checks. We've seen one of those!
Crystalline Cap: It's a cap made of crystals. It was used to power glowing blue tubes full of chimps. Psychically significant.
Candy Bar: It's a bar made of candy we got by punching a sleeping chimp. Discard to reduce danger by four.
Revolver: A revolver with one bullet. It gives us the confidence to gain +2 on dexterity challenges when used.
Telekinesis: Mind bullets let us reroll once per challenge by increasing danger.

MaskedHuzzah fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Mar 20, 2019

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Of course we're going to challenge the computer to a battle.

A dance battle!

Then let's go to the armory.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Come now! Look me in the eye and tell me - isn't this the face of a guy you can trust?
Lipstick Apathy
Sorry about the slow updates recently, but things should be picking up a bit soon. Next update will be in the next 12 hours.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
A battle of wits!

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Chapter 04 - Clue 97
A compartment opens in the computer's casing, and a robotic arm extends from inside it. The supercomputer wants to arm wrestle you!

REQUIRED STRENGTH CHALLENGE:
Arm wrestle the supercomputer!

Win: Draw Clue 102.
Lose: Raise the Danger Meter by one and try again.

We have the strength of our arms, the strength of our morality, and a large wooden dowel to smack this thing with if necessary!

It wasn't necessary, but it was used anyway.

Chapter 04 - Clue 102
QUANTUM SYNTHESIS STABILIZER
You defeat the supercomputer and gain access to its files. One is a diagram of a rod-shaped device called a Quantum Synthesis Stabilizer.
If you have Clue 39, keep this item and move forward 2 spaces on the Psychic Scale.
If you do NOT have clue 39, discard this card.
Finish Story Card 109.

We have found the purpose of the Large Metal Rod, but we don't know what a Quantum Synthesis Stabilizer is for yet. We do go up 2 Pyschic Points, up to 22 and Level 5, at least.
From Story Card 109, we wanted to go to the Armory.

Chapter 04 - Page 94
You enter the armory. The door closes behind you, and then you hear it lock automatically. The room is nearly empty, and you realize with a shudder that whatever weapons are usually kept here are probably in the hands of people - or chimps - roaming the halls outside. The only thing left is a massive artillery gun mounted on a swivel in the center of the room.
There are also a bunch of lockers lining one wall, if you'd like to search them.
OPTIONAL PERCEPTION CHALLENGE:
Search the lockers. If you are Level 3 or higher on the Psychic Scale, add +1 to your roll, in addition to any challenge booster.

Win: Draw Clue 92.
Lose: Raise Danger Meter by two. You may try again.

There's a door here, and you can see through a window that it leads into a stairwell. Unfortunately, the door is locked. The artillery gun you found has a shell in it, though, so you could probably blast your way through. As a matter of fact, why limit yourself? WIth that thing, you could probably get through the wall opposite the door: instant shortcut!

Do we want to search the lockers? If so, try until we get it, just once, orsomewhere in between?

--

If you blow a hole through the door to the stairwell, go to Story Card 108.
----
If you blow a hole through the wall, go to Story Card 97.

Current Psychic Power: 22 points, Level 05.

Current Items:
Large Wooden Dowel: I like to think of it as an Andie. Psychically significant and +2 to Strength challenges.
Whirring Metal Sphere: It's less whirring and more glowing now. Psychically significant.
Marsden Family Ring: It's a fancy ring we found under a sleeping stuffed mouse. It's psychically significant.
Doll Queen Proof: We have defeated the Doll Queen in a psychic piano battle, and while there is no tangible evidence, we will carry this in our hearts forever.
Doll King Proof: We have also defeated the Doll King in a more humdrum but equally difficult Psychic Staring Contest. This has changed our lives in some way.
Large Metal Rod:Psychically significant. Revealed to be a Quantum Synthesis Stabilizer in Chapter 04. Still less useful than the wooden dowel so far.
Keycard: It's like a glass key, but not made of glass and is a card. Psychically significant.
Climbing Boots: These sly boots give us +2 to climb checks. We've seen one of those!
Crystalline Cap: It's a cap made of crystals. It was used to power glowing blue tubes full of chimps. Psychically significant.
Candy Bar: It's a bar made of candy we got by punching a sleeping chimp. Discard to reduce danger by four.
Revolver: A revolver with one bullet. It gives us the confidence to gain +2 on dexterity challenges when used.
Telekinesis: Mind bullets let us reroll once per challenge by increasing danger.
Quantum Synthesis Stabilizer: As mentioned above, it's the metal rod, but this gets its own card so it gets mentioned here. This knowledge is nearly as pyschically significant as the rod itself!

MaskedHuzzah fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Mar 21, 2019

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

quote:

Unfortunately, the door is licked.
Is that so?
Either way SEARCH AND BLAST, do not blast the wall tho, that's liable to result in recoil.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

DmitriX posted:

Is that so?
Either way SEARCH AND BLAST, do not blast the wall tho, that's liable to result in recoil.

Fixed.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Chapter 04 - Page 94 Continued
OPTIONAL PERCEPTION CHALLENGE:
Search the lockers. If you are Level 3 or higher on the Psychic Scale, add +1 to your roll, in addition to any challenge booster.

Win: Draw Clue 92.

Chapter 04 - Clue 92
You find a tech catalog with details on an object called a Hyper-Hypersonic Isotropic Resonator.
If you have clue 87, keep this item and move forward 2 spaces on the Psychic Scale. If you do NOT have clue 87, discard this card.
Finish Story Card 94.

Oh hey, we've been wearing this hyper-hypersonic isotropic resonator as a hat. Also we're up to a nice 24 psychic points.

From here, we opted to blow open the stairwell, so here we go to Page 108:

Chapter 04 - Page 108
You go up a long flight of stairs that leads to an observatory, where you find Professor Marsden staring at the stars. "How did you get here first?" you ask.
"It's all my fault," he murmurs sadly. "We reached out to the stars, and they reached back. But when the creature made contact, we got greedy and captured him for further study. I fear your nightmares mean he's sending out telepathic messages in hopes of being rescued. If you want them to end, you must set the creature free."
"This is why," the professor continues, "we need to take back the compound from Carol, disable the neutron-inhibitor mainframe controlling the chimpanzees, and free the alien ambassador.
"Carol watches over the mainframe constantly," he continues, "so you'll be heading into great danger. Make sure you're fully prepared before you move on."
There's a hallway to the mess hall and a back door that leads outside the house.

STORY RETURN! If you'd like to go back for anything you missed, make a choice below.

If you head to the Temporal Manipulation Lab, raise the Danger Meter by three and go to Story Card 96.

If you go to the Psychic Development Room, raise the Danger Meter by three and go to Story Card 115. - We've been here, but at least 1 branch is unchecked.

If you go to the armory, raise Danger Meter by three and go to Story Card 94. - We've been here, but at least 1 branch is unchecked.

If you head to the observation booth, raise Danger Meter by three and go to Story Card 99. - We've been here, but at least 1 branch is unchecked.

----------------
OTHERWISE, we make progress toward the inhibitor!
If you try the mess hall, go to Story Card 119.
-----
If you leave the house through the back door, go to Story Card 101.

Current Psychic Power: 24 points, Level 05.

Current Items:
Large Metal Rod:Psychically significant. Revealed to be a Quantum Synthesis Stabilizer in Chapter 04. Still less useful than the wooden dowel so far.
Crystalline Cap: It's a cap made of crystals. It was used to power glowing blue tubes full of chimps. Psychically significant. It's been revealed to be a hyper-hypersonic isotropic resonator.
Quantum Synthesis Stabilizer: As mentioned above, it's the metal rod, but this gets its own card so it gets mentioned here. This knowledge is nearly as pyschically significant as the rod itself!
Hyper-hypersonic Isotropic Resonator: It's a really fancy hat. See above.

MaskedHuzzah fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Mar 24, 2019

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Let's visit the temporal manipulation laboratory.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

DmitriX posted:

Let's visit the temporal manipulation laboratory.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Chapter 04 - Page 96
A massive machine with a glowing control panel is before you. The moment you step into the room, the door slams shut behind you, and the machine begins to hum. Professor Marsden said this area was dangerous, but you feel like he should have warned you about all the self-closing doors around here.
The glow of the control panel is getting brighter, and the hum is almost deafening now. You look for an "Off" button but only find a big dial with three settings: Past, Present, and Future.
Past, present, future... this is a time machine!
If you don't pick a setting - and fast - something seriously bad might happen.

Please choose two in case one is a death:

If you set the machine to the past, go to Story Card 104.
----
If you leave the machine set on the present, go to Story Card 95.
-----
If you set the machine for the future, go to Story Card 112.

Current Psychic Power: 24 points, Level 05.

Current Items:
Crystalline Cap: It's a cap made of crystals. It was used to power glowing blue tubes full of chimps. Psychically significant. It's been revealed to be a hyper-hypersonic isotropic resonator.

MaskedHuzzah fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Mar 22, 2019

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Our quest seems to be going pretty well, so there's no reason to go back.
But we're trying to avert a bad future, so there's no reason to go forward.
Stay in the now.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Let's make like Samurai Jack and go back to the past! Samurai Jack!

Then after we've been eaten by dinosaurs, let's go Back to the Future!

(fake edit: could that idyllic outdoorsy premonition mean we end up earlier than human history and live and die as a lone survivalist wishing we weren't ten thousand years away from the invention of toilet paper? Only one way to find out!)

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Nothing good ever comes with messing with time travel.

Stick to the present.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

inflatablefish posted:

Let's make like Samurai Jack and go back to the past! Samurai Jack!

Then after we've been eaten by dinosaurs, let's go Back to the Future!

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Okay, we seem to have an extensive tie on our hands. Flipped a coin, and we'll do Present, if that doesn't work we'll do Past, and if that goes poorly we'll do Future.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Chapter 04 - Page 95
Without needing to power a jump to the past or the future, time-warping energy builds up, blasts out of the device, and engulfs you. Untethered from the timestream, you become a combination of every version of you that will ever exist. You try not to freak out as your vision is clouded by the cataracts you're scheduled to have in your eighties, but that's probably for the best - if you could see how your limbs are alternating between a newborn's plumpness and the wrinkles of old age, it would only freak you out more.
Your heartbeat speeds up and slows down simultaneously, until the rapid temporal shifting proves too much for your body to take, and your heart stops beating altogether.

Well, that was a little terrifying.
Maybe the past will be better!
Chapter 04 - Page 104
The walls melt away as time and space shift around you. It's enough to make you feel a bit queasy. You soon become aware that you are standing under a tree at the base of a grassy hill. You're surprised to hear the rumble of thunder, since it's a beautiful, cloudless day. Then you see the source of the thunder: a warhorse chargeing over the crest of the hill straight toward you. The man on its back is wearing a horned helmet, and he draws his sword when he sees you.
You're no history expert, but you're pretty sure you've come face-to-face with Genghis Khan. And he looks wrathful. You can stand and fight, or you can make a break for it. You could try climbing up the tree's higher branches before Genghis reaches you or find cover behind some rocks a short distance away.

OPTIONAL FIGHT CHALLENGE:
Fight Genghis Khan!

Win: Draw Clue 94.
Lose: Raise Danger Meter by three and make Story Choice below.

It is possible we've had a premonition about the choice of pages, but nothing has prepared us to fight Genghis Khan. Do we want to take this optional challenge?

If you decide to climb the tree, go to Story Card 118.
----
If you try to find cover in the rocks, go to Story Card 92.

Current Items:

MaskedHuzzah fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Mar 23, 2019

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
OPTIONAL FIGHT CHALLENGE ACCEPTED:
Fight Genghis Khan!

Then, climb the tree
. Seems a bit of a let down.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Mar 23, 2019

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Comstar posted:

OPTIONAL FIGHT CHALLENGE ACCEPTED:
Fight Genghis Khan!
!!!!

And other than that, what choice?

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Will be putting up a quick update shortly for the fight, but will be busy for the rest of the day.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Chapter 04 - Page 104 Continued
OPTIONAL FIGHT CHALLENGE:
Fight Genghis Khan!

Win: Draw Clue 94.
Lose: Raise Danger Meter by three and make Story Choice below.

Chapter 04 - Clue 94
GENGHIS KHAN'S WAR BOW
You defeat Genghis Khan and take his Mongolian war bow!
Keep this item. Move forward 1 space on the Psychic Scale. Lower Danger Meter by four. Finish Story Card 104.

We win neatly with a 6, losing all danger, increasing in psychic power, and getting a nifty bow!

It is possible we've had a premonition about the choice of pages.

Please choose:
If you decide to climb the tree, go to Story Card 118.
----
If you try to find cover in the rocks, go to Story Card 92.

Current Psychic Power: 23 points, Level 05.

Current Danger Meter: 01 point, Difficulty 03.

Current Items:
Genghis Khan's War Bow: Hope he won't need this later. Gives +2 to Fight checks. Psychically significant.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

ROLL

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
The card shows a tree. We decide to climb the tree.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Okay, climbing the tree. Update pending.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Chapter 04 - Page 118
You scramble up the tree and find a sturdy branch far out of the Mongolian emperor's reach. It's surprisingly comfortable up here, and you can't resist sticking out your tongue out at your foe as he shakes his fist. As angry as he is, Genghis Khan also bores quickly - he soons turns his horse around and gallops away.
Before you have a chance to congratulate yourself, though, you hear a familiar rumbling - this time as loud as a hundred thunderstorms. What looks like the entire Mongol Horde crests the hill and gathers in a giant crowd around the tree where you're perched.
Some of them have axes, and they start chopping. The last sound you hear is the sharp splitting of wood before you hit the ground, and everything goes black.

Okay, that premonition was probably for this tree. Good to know. Let's check the other path, then.

Chapter 04 - Page 92
You're surprised to hear the professor's voice in your earpiece. "I've accessed the time machine remotely," he says. "Hold on tight - I'm bringing you home!"
"Wait! Hold on tight TO WHAT?" Your surroundings fade out again, and before you know it you're back in the Temporal Manipulation Lab.
The machine appears to be on its last legs. A disturbing amount of black smoke is wafting from the machine, and you decide to get moving before the whole thing bursts into flames. Fortunately, two wall panels are now open, leading to new hallways.
"Okay profesor, which way from here?" you ask.
"To the left is the experimental supercomputer, and the armory's on the right. But it's not safe to --- KZZZZT!" Whatever technology is transmitting his voice shorts out.

The experimental supercomputer is on a green desk with a curious, oversized orange frog paperweight. It looks like it's made of metal and must be quite heavy. The eyes of the orange frog are yellow, and you feel yourself being drawn to them.

We have been down both these paths, there is one possible divergence from them that we haven't checked. Other than that, we can reach the story return for this segment or continue on to the rest of Chapter 4.

If you go to the Cryogenics Lab, go to Story Card 93.

If you head to the Temporal Manipulation Lab, raise the Danger Meter by three and go to Story Card 96. - We've been here, but at least 1 branch is unchecked. (Future, Armory Wall)

If you go to the Psychic Development Room, raise the Danger Meter by three and go to Story Card 115. - We've been here, but at least 1 branch is unchecked. (Cryo Lab)

If you head to the observation booth, raise Danger Meter by three and go to Story Card 99. - We've been here, but at least 1 branch is unchecked. (Cryo Lab)

----------------
-----

Current Psychic Power: 21 points, Level 05.

Current Items:
Genghis Khan's War Bow: Hope he won't need this later. Gives +2 to Fight checks. Psychically significant.

MaskedHuzzah fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Mar 25, 2019

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Sheesh, are all the premotions bad? The tree one looked peaceful!

If you go to the Cryogenics Lab, go to Story Card 93.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Comstar posted:

Sheesh, are all the premotions bad? The tree one looked peaceful!
They absolutely and explicitly are.

Fumbles
Mar 22, 2013

Can I get a reroll?

All premonitions are things that will kill us and we want to avoid, no matter how nice they look.
continue the story

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Going to the Cryogenics lab, update pending.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Chapter 04 - Page 93
This room has cryogenic storage chambers built into the walls. All kind of lab subjects are frozen inside: mice, rats, dogs, cats, rabbits, hamsters, guinea pigs, fish, and birds. There are also three glass pods in the center of the room, each big enough for a person to get inside. One of them might be occupied - the glass is frosted, so you can't be sure.
As you inspect that pod, you accidentally hit a button, and the pod unlocks with a rush of cold air. However, its door remains frozen shut. You can attempt to pry it open in you want to.

OPTIONAL STRENGTH CHALLENGE: Open the cryogenic pod!
Win: Draw Clue 90.

When you're ready to leave, there's an open, debris filled hallway at one end of the room. At the other end is a stairway heading up to an unseen location.

If you step over the debris and go to the hall, go to Story Card 97. (Same as Armory Wall)

If you head to the Temporal Manipulation Lab, raise the Danger Meter by three and go to Story Card 96. - We've been here, but at least 1 branch is unchecked. (Future, Armory Wall)

If you go to the Psychic Development Room, raise the Danger Meter by three and go to Story Card 115. - We've been here, but at least 1 branch is unchecked. (Armory Wall)

If you head to the observation booth, raise Danger Meter by three and go to Story Card 99. - We've been here, but at least 1 branch is unchecked. (Armory Wall)

----------------
-----

Current Psychic Power: 21 points, Level 05.

Current Items:

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Open the pod, up the stairs and if there is nothing there, time to mess it up.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
We... defeated Genghis Khan, on horseback, with a pocketknife? :psyduck:
But we got murked by some loving chimps?

Kinda erratic in our awesome fighting prowess there, huh?

Let's go Back To The Future.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Chapter 04 - Page 93 Continued
OPTIONAL STRENGTH CHALLENGE: Open the cryogenic pod!
Win: Draw Clue 90.

We get a 4, and get the clue!
Chapter 04 - Clue 90
CRYSTAL PENDANT

You pry open the pod and find no animal, only a crystal pendant. It's glowing, and it's warm to the touch. Your psychic senses tell you this is an important item.
Keep this item. Move forward 1 space on the Psychic Scale. Finish Story Card 93.
Now we reach the end of the segment again, then return to the time machine and go back to the future (increasing danger by three).
Chapter 04 - Page 112
Your surroundings fade out, and you feel the odd sensation of unstable time-warping energy bombarding every cell of your body.
Soon the laboratory walls fade back into view - or parts of them do, at least. The entire underground complex is now more or less a big pit, and you can see a dark, smoke-filled sky through the remains of the charred ceiling above you. A massive vehicle floats above the distant horizon, scanning the barren landscape with searchlights.
The time machine is still here, at least. It looks ancient and broken, but it's glowing, so it might be functional enough for one more time jump. There's a whole bunch of junk piled around it, which you can rummage through if you like.

OPTIONAL PERCEPTION CHALLENGE: Search through the junk!
(If you are Level 3 or higher on the Psychic Scale, add +1 to your roll, in addition to any challenge booster.)
Win: Draw clue 96.
Lose: Raise Danger Meter by one. You may try again.

Question 1: Do we want to take the optional challenge?

Question 2: 92 is a known card - we used it to return from the past, so that takes us to a known route.

Which option should we take?

If you walk toward the horizon to see what this future's all about, go to Story Card 110.

Check the Armory Wall Room, go to page 97.

If we don't check either of these, we make progress into the next segment, so choose from:
---------------
-----

Current Danger Meter: 04 points, Difficulty 04.

Current Items:
Crystal Pendant: It's a psychically significant pendant. Made of crystal. Will be important to defeat Lavos.

MaskedHuzzah fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Mar 25, 2019

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Yes, let's take the optional challenge.

Then let's walk towards the horizon to get killed by Skynet's hunter-killer drones!

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Taking the challenge and further inspecting the future, update pending.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Chapter 04 - Page 112 Continued
OPTIONAL PERCEPTION CHALLENGE: Search through the junk!
(If you are Level 3 or higher on the Psychic Scale, add +1 to your roll, in addition to any challenge booster.)
Win: Draw clue 96.
Lose: Raise Danger Meter by one. You may try again.

Okay, we get a 1, which raises the Danger to 5 points. So we eat the candy bar and drop it to 1 point for maximum value and reroll. We then get a 6 and nab the clue.
Chapter 04 - Clue 96
Valence Conduction Capacitor

You find a page of notes detailing a small whirring sphere called a Valence Conduction Capacitor.
If you have Clue 21, keep this item and move forward 2 spaces on the psychic scale. If you do NOT have clue 21, discard this card.
Finish story card 112

We go up to 24 psychic points! From here, we wanted to check out the future further.
Chapter 04 - Page 110
Fortunately, the stairs in this place are still sturdy, even after all of these centuries. Soon you're back on the surface, striding toward the horizon.
Things are in pretty rough shape out here. The woods that once surrounded the Marsden residence have long since burned to the ground, and nothing has grown to replace them. In the distance, you only see hints of anything made by people. Just as you're getting ready to call it quits and head back to the time machine, a flying alien craft spots you, and you're engulfed in red light emitted from an open hatch.
You think: Is this a tractor beam, to levitate me into the ship so they can learn more about humans and our wonderful civilization?
Nope - disintegration ray. You're vaporized before you can even be disappointed.

Which option should we take?

Check the Armory Wall Room, go to page 97.

Or we make progress into the next segment, and choose from:
---------------
-----

Current Items:
Whirring Metal Sphere: It's less whirring and more glowing now. Psychically significant. We found out it was a Valence Conduction Capacitor.
Crystal Pendant: It's a psychically significant pendant. Made of crystal. Will be important to defeat Lavos.
Valence Conduction Capacitor: It's our whirring sphere, but we know what it does.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

God bless this mess

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Regallion posted:

God bless this mess

I'm assuming that's a vote for the mess hall. Update pending.

MaskedHuzzah fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Mar 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Chapter 04 - Page 119

The mess hall is filled with long metal tables and ugly plastic chairs. Judging by the sheer volume of rotting banana peels piled into overflowing trash cans, you'd guess it's mainly used by chimpanzees. Chimpanzees that don't compost.
The room has high ceilings, and you can see an area on the next level with a railed balcony that overlooks the room. There might be something interesting up there, but you'll have to climb to find out.
There's also a door that leads to the pantry, in which you see a cupboard.

OPTIONAL CHALLENGE: Climb to the overlook
Win: Lower Danger Meter by three and go to Story Card 111.
Lose: Raise Danger Meter by one and try again.
If you do NOT take the Challenge, continue below.

We can either take the challenge above (if we try it, we are locking into it until we succeed. We do have Climbing Boots as a tool, though)

Or
Check out the pantry by going to Story Card 102.

Current Items:
Whirring Metal Sphere: It's less whirring and more glowing now. Psychically significant. We found out it was a Valence Conduction Capacitor.
Valence Conduction Capacitor: It's our whirring sphere, but we know what it does.

MaskedHuzzah fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Mar 26, 2019