Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Let's climb, but not use our climbing boots, 'cos we'd have to fail more than 3 times in a row to end up with an overall increase in Danger, so there's no point risking losing them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

We can't lose them, since we get a reroll on 1's. i GUESS we can roll it twice in a row, but that's unlikely.
Also yeah, overlook that stuff.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Come now! Look me in the eye and tell me - isn't this the face of a guy you can trust?
Lipstick Apathy
In general I'm using equipment when it gives more than a +1 benefit. We have the Telekinesis reroll and the Coffee reroll on hold as well.

Chapter 04 - Page 119 Continued
OPTIONAL CHALLENGE: Climb to the overlook
Win: Lower Danger Meter by three and go to Story Card 111.
Lose: Raise Danger Meter by one and try again.

And we get a 6 on the first try again, prompting an easy passage to Page 111.
Chapter 04 - Page 111
From here, you can see into a meeting room, which is packed to the gills with superchimps. A woman in a lab coat - it must be the diabolical Carol - is operating a large console that must be part of the neuron-inhibitor mainframe. It looks pretty solid, but if you're lucky, you might be able to reach it and damage it enough to free the chimps from Carol's control before anyone can stop you.
There's also a metal staircase leading down to an aircraft hangar. You see a truck parked in it, but you can't be sure anyone is guarding it.

---------------------------

If you rush into the meeting room, go to Story Card 103.
---
If you sneak into the aircraft hangar, go to Story Card 98.

Current Psychic Power: 22 points, Level 05.

Current Danger Meter: 01 point, Difficulty 03.

Current Items:
Pocketknife: +1 to Fighting Challenges
Battery: Is a battery. Might be useful to power something later. We have 2!
Satellite Dish: Psychic senses say it's important. No currently known use.
Large Wooden Dowel: I like to think of it as an Andie. Psychically significant and +2 to Strength challenges.
Truck Keys: Keys to a truck, probably. Psychically significant.
Whirring Metal Sphere: It's less whirring and more glowing now. Psychically significant. We found out it was a Valence Conduction Capacitor.
Marsden Family Ring: It's a fancy ring we found under a sleeping stuffed mouse. It's psychically significant.
Doll Queen Proof: We have defeated the Doll Queen in a psychic piano battle, and while there is no tangible evidence, we will carry this in our hearts forever.
Doll King Proof: We have also defeated the Doll King in a more humdrum but equally difficult Psychic Staring Contest. This has changed our lives in some way.
Large Metal Rod:Psychically significant. Revealed to be a Quantum Synthesis Stabilizer in Chapter 04. Still less useful than the wooden dowel so far.
Glass Key: We found it in a book. Psychically significant.
Keycard: It's like a glass key, but not made of glass and is a card. Psychically significant.
Climbing Boots: These sly boots give us +2 to climb checks. We've seen one of those!
Crystalline Cap: It's a cap made of crystals. It was used to power glowing blue tubes full of chimps. Psychically significant. It's been revealed to be a hyper-hypersonic isotropic resonator.
Candy Bar: It's a bar made of candy we got by punching a sleeping chimp. Discard to reduce danger by four.
Revolver: A revolver with one bullet. It gives us the confidence to gain +2 on dexterity challenges when used.
Telekinesis: Mind bullets let us reroll once per challenge by increasing danger.
Quantum Synthesis Stabilizer: As mentioned above, it's the metal rod, but this gets its own card so it gets mentioned here. This knowledge is nearly as pyschically significant as the rod itself!
Hyper-hypersonic Isotropic Resonator: It's a really fancy hat. See above.
Genghis Khan's War Bow: Hope he won't need this later. Gives +2 to Fight checks. Psychically significant.
Crystal Pendant: It's a psychically significant pendant. Made of crystal. Will be important to defeat Lavos.
Valence Conduction Capacitor: It's our whirring sphere, but we know what it does.

MaskedHuzzah fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Mar 26, 2019

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Yeah we can maybe damage it and then what? Get shot? yeah cool beans bruw, let's go flying instead.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Come now! Look me in the eye and tell me - isn't this the face of a guy you can trust?
Lipstick Apathy
Going to the hangar, update pending.
EDIT: This one's going to take a while, it's much bigger than usual.

MaskedHuzzah fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Mar 27, 2019

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Chapter 04 - Page 98

You sneak into the hangar and discover to your great relief that it's unoccupied. There are parts here from what might be some kind of alien aircraft, and the tools lie scattered around them on the floor.
From here, you can see a large egg-shaped object on the lawn outside the hangar.

To save time and streamline things for what will become apparent soon, I'm just going to go ahead and take this challenge. We get a 4, and pull the clue.
Chapter 04 - Clue 89
TEAR GAS GUN

You find a small gun that fires tear gas. Neato! Adds +2 to Fight rolls.
Keep this item. Finish story card 98.
Chapter 04 - Page 98 Continued
An unmarked delivery truck is parked here. If only the keys were inside...
If you have Clue 3, discard it and go to Story Card 100.
If you do NOT have clue 3, take a look at the egg ship by going to Story Card 114.

We have the keys, so we automaticallly take the truck

Chapter 04 - Page 100
The truck is unlocked. You slide the key into the ignition, and it starts! As you pull out of the garage, you see a sliding glass door to the meeting room where Carol sits by her mainframe, along with her chimp army. You take a deep breath, crack your knuckle -- and step on the gas.
Chimps dive out of your way as glass shatters, and you ram directly into the neutron-inhibitor mainframe.
"Kill the intruder!" Carol yells.
Three dozen super-intelligent chimpanzees stand up, turn to you... and yawn. They have no interest in you at all. With the neuron-inhibitor mainframe wrecked and the chimps neuron-inhibitor links severed, they're no longer forced to obey the sinister lab assistant's commands.
They seem to realize this at the same time that Carol does.Now there's nothing stopping the chimps from seeking their revenge. Carol bolts into the rainy night with the chimps hot on her heels.
Celebrate your victory over Carol by going to Story Card 105.
Chapter 04 - Page 105
CHAPTER FOUR GOAL ACHIEVED
You've thwarted Carol's evil plot, freed a whole mansions full of super-intelligent chimpanzees, and broken up a counterfeiting ring. On top of that, you've helped Professor Marsden win back control of his lab. Now he'll have plenty of time to consider the implications of his blind pursuit of knowledge and devote the rest of his career ro making things right again.
All that's left to do now is back in your supreme triumph. You sit in Carol's chair, lean back, and put your feet up on what remains of the meeting room table, confident that your job is done.

OR IS IT?
Go to Story Card 120
Chapter 04 - Story Card 120
An alarm sounds, and about fifty lights on the neuron-inhibitor mainframe console start blinking. Professor Marsden comes running into the room. "Oh, no," he mutters under his breath.
"That thing's probably just malfunctioning," you say. "I really did a number on that thing."
You both jolt back as a strange, booming voice comes from a speaker on the neuron-inhibitor mainframe console. "THE FULL FORCE OF THE KRYSALIK ARMADA IS UPON YOU," it says. "WE DEMAND THE RELEASE OF OUR AMBASSADOR. ALTHOUGH WE HATE VIOLENCE, WE WILL REDUCE YOUR ENTIRE PLANET TO GALACTIC RUBBLE IF YOU DO NOT OBEY US."
The significance of this moment hits you: you've just heard the words of an actual alien life-form! The professor is as pale as a ghost.
"Let's release the alien," you say. "That's what we were planning to do, right?"
"About that... " he says. "It may not be so simple."
ADVANCE TO CHAPTER FIVE. Keep all inventory items.

Chapter 04 Stats:
9/30 pages unseen
7/18 clues unseen

Chapter 05 - Intro & Page 121
THE INVASION
You've crossed the deadly estate surrounding the Marsden house, come face-to-face with spirits from beyond the grave, and found yourself at the mercy of strange scientific experiments. You fought oversized, super-intelligent chimpanzees, freed them from mind-control, and discovered a counterfeiting ring along the way. Now a fleet of UFOs is barreling toward Earth, and unless you can free the imprisoned alien ambassador before they arrive, the entire planet is doomed.
"The alien is locked away in the old prison beneath the mansion," Professor Marsden says. "It's a dangerous labyrinth not easily navigated."
"What are you talking about?" you reply. 'There are three cells in that place. We were there forty-five minutes ago."
"That's the new prison," the professor says, "where antisocial chimpanzees are held until they can be rehabilitated. The entire compound is built over the ruins of an old prison, which burned down more than a century ago. My great-great-great grandfather was the warden."
You remember your strange out-of-body visions in the elevator and the deeps sense of foreboding that came with them.
"We should never have put him down there," the professor says. "The prison has always been a horrible, cursed place, but now that the creature has found a way to contact with the world outside his cell..."
"Wait a second," you say. "This alien ambassador isn't just responsible for my nightmares is he? The alien was the one who called me this morning! But how did he even find me? The phone book is full of private investigators with far more experience than I have."
You suddenly remember, however, that your yellow pages ad doesn't list you as an aspiring detective. It lists you as a psychic investigator.
"I'll find the alien" you say, to reassure yourself as much as the professor. "I was born to do this."
Before he can respond, the professor notices something on the mainframe console and gasps. "The alien armada will enter the Earth's atmosphere in just twenty minutes! You must find the alien ambassador and free him quickly... or all is lost!"

Draw Clue 108 to discover your goal.
Chapter 05 - Clue 108
Release the alien ambassador and attempt to save Planet Earth.
Chapter 05 - Page 121 Continued
"Okay!" you say. "You've been down there before, right? Do you have a map?"
"No! Carol handled all of that! All I know is that there are two ways to get into the structure: through the original prison entrance around the back of the house, and through a long, dark hallway that I've always been too afraid to investigate. Don't forget: Keep your earpiece turned on so we can communicate."

If you head for the prison entrance, go to Story Card 127
---
If you think the hallway is a better bet, go to Story Card 133.

Current Psychic Power: 22 points, Level 05.

Current Items:
Large Wooden Dowel: I like to think of it as an Andie. Psychically significant and +2 to Strength challenges.
Whirring Metal Sphere: It's less whirring and more glowing now. Psychically significant. We found out it was a Valence Conduction Capacitor.
Marsden Family Ring: It's a fancy ring we found under a sleeping stuffed mouse. It's psychically significant.
Doll Queen Proof: We have defeated the Doll Queen in a psychic piano battle, and while there is no tangible evidence, we will carry this in our hearts forever.
Doll King Proof: We have also defeated the Doll King in a more humdrum but equally difficult Psychic Staring Contest. This has changed our lives in some way.
Large Metal Rod:Psychically significant. Revealed to be a Quantum Synthesis Stabilizer in Chapter 04. Still less useful than the wooden dowel so far.
Keycard: It's like a glass key, but not made of glass and is a card. Psychically significant.
Climbing Boots: These sly boots give us +2 to climb checks. We've seen one of those!
Crystalline Cap: It's a cap made of crystals. It was used to power glowing blue tubes full of chimps. Psychically significant. It's been revealed to be a hyper-hypersonic isotropic resonator.
Candy Bar: It's a bar made of candy we got by punching a sleeping chimp. Discard to reduce danger by four.
Revolver: A revolver with one bullet. It gives us the confidence to gain +2 on dexterity challenges when used.
Telekinesis: Mind bullets let us reroll once per challenge by increasing danger.
Quantum Synthesis Stabilizer: As mentioned above, it's the metal rod, but this gets its own card so it gets mentioned here. This knowledge is nearly as pyschically significant as the rod itself!
Genghis Khan's War Bow: Hope he won't need this later. Gives +2 to Fight checks. Psychically significant.
Crystal Pendant: It's a psychically significant pendant. Made of crystal. Will be important to defeat Lavos.
Valence Conduction Capacitor: It's our whirring sphere, but we know what it does.
Tear Gas Gun: Now we can be the terror that flaps in the night! +2 to fight checks.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I'll make a choice at random in about 12 hours if no votes are received.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Let's get spooked.
Also drat, chapter 4 was hella brief.

Regallion fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Mar 28, 2019

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
If you think the hallway is a better bet, go to Story Card 133.

The road less travelled.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Regallion posted:

Let's get spooked.
Also drat, chapter 4 was hella brief.

I'm assuming that's a vote for the hallway - could you please indicate a page number in the future? I don't always immediately realize if your voting or what you're voting for, and I don't want to accidentally ignore them.

Update pending for taking the hallway.

Also, the chapters are roughly equal in size (5 chapters of about 30 cards and 25 clues each), but chapter 4 only had about 20 clues. It was just a lot more on rails in the ending portion - I'll try to go over everything we missed in a postmortem after we finish a successful run. We also got shortcutted around things in Chapters 3 & 4 by having items from 1 & 2.

MaskedHuzzah fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Mar 28, 2019

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Chapter 05 - Page 133

After fifty yars, the hallway connects to an older passageway, with walls of crumbling brick. You wonder why Professor Marsden built an entirely new underground laboratory when he could have simply renovated the old prison structure. Soon, the answer presents itself: it's because the entire place is utterly infested with ghosts.
A spectral figure in a black-and-white striped uniform floats toward you. He probably died when the prison burned down, because he's on fire. Does ghost fire burn people the way normal fire does? The spirit attacks, so you're about to find out.
REQUIRE FIGHT CHALLENGE: Fight the flaming ghost! If you have Clue 58, you win automatically
Win: Move forward 2 spaces on the Psychic Scale.
Lose: Raise Danger Meter by Four.

We roll a nice 5 and defeat the ghost with the help of our tear gas gun.
From here, you can leave the room through a rotting wooden door or a hole in the brick wall that leads to a tunnel.

If you go through the door, go to Story Card 137.
---
If you go through the hole in the wall, go to Story Card 142.

Current Psychic Power: 24 points, Level 05.

Current Items:
Tear Gas Gun: Now we can be the terror that flaps in the night! +2 to fight checks.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I'll make a random choice in 12 hours if no votes are received by then.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Hole in one

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Regallion posted:

Hole in one

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
Hole, 142

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Chapter 05 - Page 142
The tunnel has been carved into the bedrock surrounding the lower level of the old prison building. It's dark and dank but gets warmer and warmer as you progress. The tunnel splits into two passages. Down the first, you can see glowing pink crystals embedded in the dirt walls. They're throbbing unpleasantly. They're buzzing, too.
The other passage is full of thick, green mist. At least it's quiet and nothing is throbbing.

We've found another premonition! I'll add it to the OP.

If you head down the dirt tunnel with pink crystals, go to Story Card 144.
---
If you check out the mist, go to Story Card 129.

Current Psychic Power: 24 points, Level 05.

Current Items:

MaskedHuzzah fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Mar 29, 2019

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
That tunnel obviously looks bad. Let's get misty instead.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

I love to eat dirt

Fumbles
Mar 22, 2013

Can I get a reroll?

Different tunnel. Let's go down to dirt town.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Consensus reached, going down the dirt tunnel. Update pending.

Chapter 05 - Page 144
As you move through the crystal tunnel, the droning buzz gets louder and louder until you feel like your head's about to explode. You try to turn back the way you came, but the constant, overwhelming noise disorients you, and you stumble farther into the din.
Then your head actually does explode. So at least you weren't just worrying over nothing.

The End
Move back 3 spaces on the Psychic Scale and return to Story Card 142.

Well, that came a bit out of nowhere. I guess we check the other path then!
Chapter 05 - Page 129
The green mist smells awful, and youi start to choke as soon as you get a lung full. You quickly become dizzy, but just as you're about to collapse, you feel someone slide their arm around your shoulders. They support you and help you walk forward.
The mist dissipates when you reach the far side of the tunnel, and you look up to see a ghostly figure in a prisoner's uniform smiling at you gently as he fades from sight. The fog still burns in your lungs, but that ghost just saved your life.
From here you can see a ladder that goes up to what appears to be a watchtower. There is also a broken section of wall that opens into another room.

Premonition
If you are Level 5 or higher on the Psychic Scale, draw Clue 120.
It appears to be some manner of glowing green ghost! Ghastly! I'll add it to the OP.

Please choose:

If you climb into the watchtower, go to Story Card 134.
---
If you go through the broken wall, go to Story Card 122.

Current Psychic Power: 21 points, Level 05.

Current Items:

MaskedHuzzah fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Mar 29, 2019

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Start playing all along The Watchtower for no reason whatsoever.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Chapter 05 - Page 134

You jump off the top of the ladder and land in a crumbling brick watchtower overlooking the prison yard. The ghost of a very old man is staring into the distance. It's General Marsden. He looks older than the last time you saw him.
"It's my fault," he moans. "All my fault."
He looks down in dismay. His face is especially haunted, even for a ghost. "Forgive me," he says. "I beg you."
"Forgive you for what?" you ask.
"You must say it!" shouts the general. "You must say that I am forgiven so that my soul shall be released!"

CHOOSE ONE THEN CONTINUE
If you tell the ghost you forgive him, draw Clue 122.
If you refuse, draw Clue 124.

From here you can see two paths out of this section of the prison: one leads into a group of cells, and the other is a hole in the ground that glows with a strange light.

In addition to whether or not we forgive the ghost, please choose:

If you check out the cellblock, go to Story Card 138.
---
If you try the glowing hole, go to Story Card 125.

Current Psychic Power: 21 points, Level 05.

Current Items:

MaskedHuzzah fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Mar 30, 2019

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Sure, let's forgive and forget, I guess. Then let's go for the glow hole!

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Let's seek glory in the hole.
Forgive me for that.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Consensus reached: Forgiveness then hole, update pending.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Chapter 05 - Page 134 Continued

CHOOSE ONE THEN CONTINUE
If you tell the ghost you forgive him, draw Clue 122.

Chapter 05 - Clue 122
"Than you," the ghost moans. "Thank you..." In a flash of light, he's gone. If you knew that getting rid of these things was that easy, you would have been forgiving them left and right.
Move forward 2 spaces on the Psychic Scale. Finish Story Card 134.
From here, we wanted to descend into the mystery hole on Page 125.

Chapter 05 - Page 125
You descend into a cave with glassy obsidian walls and a perfectly still, circular pool in the center. A perfectly still pool that's glowing. Is it otherworldly ectoplasmic goo? Alien spaceship fuel? Good old-fashioned radioactive sludge? You have no idea, but you're pretty sure drinking from it would either kill you or give you superpowers.
FREE ACTION
If you'd like to drink from the pool of goo, draw Clue 107.

There's a stone wall with a tunnel framed in red brick leading away from the pool. There's also something giving off a gross, dank smell at the far end of the pool, if you'd like to investigate it.

In addition to whether or not we drink the mystery sludge:

If you go to the tunnel framed with red brick, go to Page 136.
---
If you follow the smell, go to Story Card 128.

Current Psychic Power: 23 points, Level 05.

Current Items:

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
We are absolutely drinking that mystery slime

Then follow the smell to 128. The red brick tunnel was a premonition and thus is death

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

CountryMatters posted:

We are absolutely drinking that mystery slime

Then follow the smell to 128. The red brick tunnel was a premonition and thus is death

This.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Chapter 05 - Page 125
FREE ACTION
If you'd like to drink from the pool of goo, draw Clue 107.

Chapter 05 - Clue 107
Well, it was ectoplasmic goo. And it turns out ectoplasmic goo is both delicious and nutritious.
Lower Danger Meter by three and move forward 3 spaces on the Psychic Scale. Finish Story Card 125.

From here, we opted to avoid the likely premonition of the red bricks and follow the smell to Page 128.

Chapter 05 - Page 128
The dark soil gives way beneath your feet, and you tumble into a very smelly hidden cavern. Here, you discover the stench is wafting up from a colony of mushrooms - spotted ones and striped ones - that covers most of the floor and walls.
If you've learned anything from playing video games, though, it's that eating random mushrooms you come across in the middle of an adventure is almost always a good idea.

CHOOSE ONE BELOW, THEN CONTINUE

This room has only one exit, but there is a mandatory choice of mushrooms to eat. Please choose:

If you eat a spotted mushroom, draw Clue 109.
--
If you eat a striped mushroom, draw Clue 110.
--
If you live it up and eat both kinds of mushroom, draw Clue 111.

Current Psychic Power: 25 points, Level 05.

Current Items:

MaskedHuzzah fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Mar 31, 2019

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
EAT MUSHROOM

EAT SPOTTED MUSHROOM

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Let's live it up! Eat all of the things!

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Comstar posted:

EAT MUSHROOM

EAT SPOTTED MUSHROOM

EAT A STRIPED ONE, SPOTTED ONES ARE 100% POISON

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
We seem to have a three way tie, so I'll wait about 4 hours and if I don't see a tiebreaker by then, I'll choose at random.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Okay, choosing at random, and we'll be going with the spotted mushroom. Update pending.
EDIT: Also a fairly long one.

MaskedHuzzah fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Mar 31, 2019

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Chapter 05 - Page 128 Continued
We decided on the Spotted Musroom, so onto Clue 109:

Chapter 05 - Clue 109
The spotted mushroom is mildly poisonous - but also mind-altering. You can feel your brain pulsing and synapses sparking. After it ends, you can now taste sounds.
Keep this item. Move forward 1 space on the Psychic Scale. Raise Danger Meter by four. Finish Story Card 128.

From 128, we go to 135.
Chapter 05 - Page 135
The tunnel leads to an exit high up on the wall of a large, lead-lined prison cell. Beneath you, the crystalline form of the Krysalik ambassador lies motionless on the floor. The ambassador looks up, sees you, and sends a telepathic message directly into your frontal lobe.
"WHAT MANNER OF CREATURE CAN PASS THROUGH THE IMPENETRABLE WALLS OF MY PRISON?" he transmits. "WHOEVER YOU ARE, HAVE MERCY AND FREE ME FROM THIS TOMB."
Impenetrable walls? It's a tunnel, you think back at him. Have you even tried escaping? How long have you been down here?
"I AM GREATLY WEAKENED FROM MY ORDEAL," the ambassador thinks at you. "ALSO, IT IS REALLY DARK."
The only way out of the cell is back the way you came, so if you want to take the ambassador back to the surface with you, you're going to have to lift him into the tunnel. He is quite heavy.

REQUIRED CHALLENGE: Give the alien ambassador a boost.
WIN: Lower Danger meter by five and go to Story Card 146.
LOSE: Raise Danger Meter by three and try again.

Well, we get a four on the first try, so we're back to having no danger. On to 146!

Chapter 05 - Page 146
You drag the crystalline alien back to the security room where the professor waits. On a monitor, you can see a giant UFO entering Earth's atmosphere.
"Hurry," the professor says in a panic. "The armada is almost upon us!"
The alien ambassador rushes to the console. He pushes a button and makes a series of harsh noises you can only assume are his native language.
IF YOU
...have Clue 90 and are Level 1-3 on the Psychic Scale, draw Clue 112.
.... have Clue 90 and are Level 4 or 5 on the Psychic Scale, draw Clue 116.
... do NOT have Clue 90, continue reading.
Chapter 05 - Clue 116
The pendant glows and makes a soft noise, so you bring it close to your ear. It's an alien translator! As the ambassador screeches away, you hear the following translation in plain English:
"THE EARTHLINGS HAVE LEARNED OUR WAYS WELL. DEACTIVATE ALL WEAPONS. DRAFT AN OFFICIAL PEACE TREATY SO THAT OUR WORLDS MAY LIVE IN HARMONY FOREVER."
Chapter 05 - Page 146 Continued

When he's finished, the alien sends you a telepathic message: "I HAVE CONTACTED MY PEOPLE. ALL IS WELL."
"So now what?" you ask.
"GO OUTSIDE AND AWAIT THEIR ARRIVAL," he transmits. "DO NOT FEAR THEM. WE HAVE FORGIVEN ALL YOUR TRANSGRESSIONS AND WILL NOT MURDER YOU OR THE REST OF YOUR SPECIES."

[i]If you are Level 5 on the Psychic Scale, go to Story Card 153.
If you are level 2-4 on the Psychic Scale, think something's fishy, and demand more answers, go to Story Card 140.
If you are level 2-4 on the Psychic Scale, trust the ambassador, and want to wait for the fleet's arrival, go to Story Card 149.
If you are Level 1 on the Psychic Scale, draw Clue 119.

Okay, I guess we go directly to page 153.

Chapter 05 - Page 153
CHAPTER FIVE GOAL ACHIEVED!
You walk outside to greet the crystal saucers gathering in the skies above the Marsden house. A column of light erupts from the mothership, enveloping you and the professor. A voice is heard inside both of your heads.
"THOUGH YOU CAPTURED OUR AMBASSADOR," the voice says, "YOU HAVE PROVEN YOURSELF WORTHY OF FORGIVENESS. WE ARE IMPRESSED WITH YOUR DEVOTION TO AND DEVELOPMENT OF THE INTERGALACTIC PSYCHIC ARTS." A hatch opens on the ship. "WE HUMBLY INVITE YOU TO THE KRYSALIK HOMEWORLD."
The professor is downright giddy. "Just imagine! We're the first human beings to ever-"

Before he can finish, everything goes blank. When you come to, you are both in the middle of a crystalline city where light has never looked so beautiful and air has never smelled so clean. You spend years there, learning the secrets of advanced Krysalik technology. When the time scomes to return home, you choose to stay.
THE END! GAME OVER!

Chapter 5 stats:
Unseen Cards: 23/33
Unseen Clues: 15/20

Current Psychic Power: 25 points, Level 05.

Current Items:
Spotted Mushroom: It's dangerously delicious!

MaskedHuzzah fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Mar 31, 2019

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Okay! Great work everyone, we've completed House of Danger with probably the best ending! I'll do a quick postmortem of each of the chapters in the next few days, and if you have any questions you'd like answered or looked into, ask 'em here and I'll do what I can!

It's worth noting that there's a tidbit I left out of the manual since I couldn't find an effective way to include it: The image in the OP to the right of the title? You're instructed to look at that for 2 minutes because it contains significant information. I think we came across everything in our thorough search, but there was info to make sure we didn't miss anything good.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
It's a cookbook! A cookbook!

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Chapter 01 - What We Missed
7/30 pages unseen
6/27 clues unseen

I'm not going to be covering everything we missed in all these, but I do want to hit the high points. We skipped over a few Pages, but those would primarily herd us back onto pages we saw and/or give us an item. We did miss a couple of items, though...

We could get the shears from the topiary area for another bit of strength equipment, and a flashlight that would let us automatically beat Perception challenges by spending a battery. The piece of paper we missed nabbing was a Hedge Maze Map, which would have been irrelevant since we accessed that area after we did the hedge maze in our path.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Chapter 02 - What We Missed

05/30 Story Cards Unseen
10/30 Clues Unseen

There was a lot of Chapter 2, but we covered most of it.
The Glass Key we picked up would have been used for an alternate route to the exit. The woman in the Solarium was Col. Marsden's Ghost in disguise again (and would kill you), a billiard room that, if investigated, you'd find a secret switch that would kill you. The other options for Marsden's Ghost when we talked to him would give some foreshadowing, but no keycard, so you made the right choice there. The only thing we missed that could have been useful was a premonition... of a purple and orange explosion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

what a helpful premonition
:thunk: