Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Welcome to the new thread! Year 6 7 is here, and we're still playing! Wow! If you've never heard of Siege, it's best described as a 5v5 tactical shooter with dynamic destruction. It's pretty cutthroat, but is easily one of the most rewarding shooters on the market. Before we continue, thank you to Keyframe and Hard for the previous two threads. They're the reason I picked up this game.

A few cool things that set Siege apart:
- Map destruction that matters
- Sound propagation, meaning sounds realistically travel through the environment
- Diverse cast of Operators
- Deep gameplay with a lot to learn
- Angry pubbies!!

Table of contents
1) The OP! (You are here.)
2) Purchasing Options
3) Getting started in Siege
4) Getting started in Extraction (NOT DONE YET!!)

Why Siege?
It's a fun 5v5 tactical shooter with a ton of gadgets and player expression. Each operator brings something new to the table and new strategies emerge all the time. The game isn't perfect, but there also really isn't anything else like it. Sound is also a huge part of this game, so be sure you have some nice headphones handy. Sounds bounce through hallways and even go through broken walls. It's pretty fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGYu0mSHMMQ

What's new with Siege? Where can I keep up with the latest happenings?
The official news page is a great place to start. My favorite posts are the "Designer's Notes", where they break down patch notes so you can see not only the changes, but the reasoning and intent behind the changes coming to the game. While I don't agree with every change made to this game, the developers deserve a lot of praise for breaking down the updates for us.

A lot of players expressed concern with the change of creative directors, but the game continues to be great, so keep playing!

You can also review each season here.

Year 7 Roadmap

Year 7 looks to be one of the best years yet, with new modes, features, and a reputation system coming to the game. Ubisoft really seems committed to making this game as pleasant as an online game can be.

Agoat fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Mar 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Getting Started with Rainbow Six: Siege

There's no wrong answers here, but consider your budget and level of interest. The base game is perfectly acceptable to purchase, but if you end up loving the game, you'll end up with all of the Operators one way or another. If you want a balance between cost and content, the Deluxe Edition is usually $30, but goes on sale for as low as $10. If you want all of the content Operator Edition is a great buy, too. I do recommend waiting for a sale for this version though. It usually goes for $70, but you can get it on sale as low as $35. I don't think the Ultimate Edition is worth the money, but if you really like the skins, no shame in buying it.

If you get Rainbow Six: Extraction, you'll get those 19 operators added to Siege at no additional cost, as well as several Extraction-themed skins. There's two versions of Extraction, but you get the same operators with either one, but one edition has skins.

Of course, Siege & Extraction are also available on Xbox Game Pass for Console & PC as well as Ubisoft+ (or whatever it's called). It's a great way to test run the game and see if you like it. I heavily recommend Xbox Game Pass for PC.

If you're unsure, just post your budget and how interested you are in Siege and we'll help. Buying this game is the hardest part, ironically enough.

Even in the original "Pathfinders" group (base game operators), you'll find some very competitive Operators. In fact, Thatcher is easily the most banned attack Operator in ranked play. Power creep isn't a major factor in this game, but some characters can feel like upgrades of others at times, though almost every operator has a place in the game. Even if Aruni feels like a better Castle, you can still get a lot of mileage out of Castle. (I would know, I use both of them.)

Last but not least, check Twitch.tv for drops often. They give out all sorts of skins and XP boosters. Sometimes the skins are great, sometimes not. During the Pro League events, you can even watch official streams to get cool drops.

Agoat fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Mar 16, 2022

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
I installed the game, now what?

Launch with the Vulkan rendering setting, turn on DLSS, low latency (if you have an Nvidia graphics card), and disable VSync. I cranked my FOV up to max, but use whatever is comfortable.

No matter which edition you choose, go directly into the in-game tutorials and learn the controls. It won't take long, and you'll get some currency for new operators or skins. At the main menu, press play then go to Learning Area. The "Situations" they use to teach you the game will seem hard at first, but you'll get the hang of it in no time.

After you've done the situations (feel free to skip Article 5), check out Deathmatch, Quick Play and Unranked. None of these modes are serious, so pick who you want and have fun! Deathmatch is pure fragging, Quick Play is light gadget use without much thinking, Unranked is ranked format, but without the sweat (usually).

This is the best time to mention this, mute anyone making your experience worse. Do not hesitate. I'd even go as far as to disable text chat and play with friends/Goons, as well. Like most competitive shooters, you have players that will go purely for kills and think they're good players. Ubisoft just launched their reputation system that should help mitigate this sort of thing, but you'll always have bad apples.

Ranked play is unlocked at level 50, which takes a while. Ranked is the "core" mode of the game, but don't rush into it. Enjoy yourself and learn what you can. When you hit level 50, jump in with some friends. I'll list more on ranked later in this thread.

Loadouts?

Each operator has several loadout options, including a few weapons, secondary gadgets, attachments, etc. With Year 7, you can choose any style of sight that's available for your chosen weapon, but only within the allowed magnifications. For example, Bandit's MP7 will allow you to use any 1x sight, but Rook's MP5 will allow you to use either 1x or 2x sights. Generally speaking, most players will prefer higher magnifications, but some players prefer 1x sights. They is no stat variance between sights, just magnification.

Do not use the angled grip. It is currently Bad.

Avoid the suppressor on most primaries. Stealth sounds great, but in practice it doesn't work as much with weapons. I like to use the suppressor on secondaries for trap removal, but players will still hear nearby. I use the supressor on characters like Nokk, but headshots become essential.

When in doubt, use the verticle grip and flash hider with whatever sight you like. Muzzle brake if you're using a semi-auto weapon.

Secondary gadgets are also preferance. Don't overthink this early on, but as you learn the maps you'll understand which gadgets are effective on each site. It's really fun to come up with new setups, so don't be afraid to experiment in unranked modes.

Why the hell are my team mates destroying all the walls?

As the game has progressed, players realized that there are sites where you can destroy parts of the map to create new ways to defend site. This is part of what makes Siege so unique and fun.

If you enjoy changing the map to fit your ideas, "Architect" and "Trap" operators are a lot of fun.

Reinforcing sites has become more nuanced over time, as well. At launch, you'd seal up each site and just sit on it. Over time, the game has evolved to involved bigger setups, players roaming maps on defense, and tons of creative plays. Don't overthink this, either. You'll understand it over time, and if you're ever unsure: :justpost:

Who should I use first?? Help!!

Whoever you want.

But if you're really wanting guidance, these are my entry-level recommendations.

Day 1 Newbies: Sledge & Kapkan

I recommend these operators becuase they are both "2 speed" operators that are very easy to use. Speed directly correlates with health, speed and sound. If an Operator has a speed value of 2, it will have a health value of 2, as well. If an Operator has a speed value of 3, it will have a health value of 1.

Sledge introduces you to destruction, has a great kit, and overall is a lot of fun. He's easy to understand, too.

Kapkan introduces you to traps, also has a great kit, and is also a lot of fun. In addition, his gadget allows you to be helpful from the start of the round, and even if you die, you've placed traps that will help the team. Try to place your traps in doorways towards the floor, and remember to think about what players will see and focus on.

- With these "middle ground" operators, you can decide what you like and don't like, and can make your next choice from there.
- Want to be more directly involved in fights? Ash, Zofia, Jager and Bandit are great choices.
- Want different traps? Nomad, Lesion and Frost are alternatives to Kapkan.
- Want a great influence on your defense strategy? Castle, Aruni and Azami are awesome picks.
- Want to be a dickhead? Montagne and Clash.
- Want to gamble? Fuze.

Again, there's no wrong answers here. And there's so many different ways to use operators, too. Test out anything that sounds fun, you never know what you'll discover.

Wtf the netcode sucks

It doesn't, and I will tell you why.

Online FPS games use a form of rollback netcode. When you shoot someone or move, it's sent to the server, which is sent to other clients. This is fast, but not instant. So there is a small window where you will move, but other players haven't seen it yet. In most cases, this isn't a problem.

However, when taking a corner and shooting someone, it can look like the shooter shot before taking the corner. The higher rank you get, the more punishing this becomes as people are faster and have better accuracy.

I recommend gaining intel, then taking initiative in gunfights. You can capture this small window of time for your own gain in doing so, and the game will "click" faster for you. There is a lot more that goes into what people call "netcode", but this is a Siege thread and I'm not typing all that poo poo out yet.

Ranked

The big time. This is the core of Siege, and a lot of fun. Ranked follows the competitive format, and your placing resets every season. When you first start, you will complete 10 placement matches and receive a rank accordingly. Your first season, this will be low. Don't stress it, as you should work on learning instead of pursuing a nicer looking jpeg.

Do not play this alone. Get friends, goons, whatever. This is Serious Gaming, and your team mates will appreciate you taking it seriously. If you can, play with a regular group of friends. If you always play with the same group, you will keep the same rank, and won't be split up because you decided to solo Q and tank your rank.

A lot of skilled players have stated they have the most fun in Gold, though for your average player their goal is to reach Platinum rank. Again, don't overthink this too much.

I will repeat this again because it's really important: Do not play ranked alone. Do not do it. I have played with people that ran off, played alone, tanked their rank down to Copper/Bronze, and could no longer play with our group of high Gold players due to rank restrictions. They got mad about this, despite being warned. This has happened multiple times. You are not exempt from this advice.

Rapid-Fire Advice Time
- Headshots kill instantly. All of them.
- Ping important things. Ping using cameras. But never red ping outside of drone phase... and never on someone else's drone.
- If you are dead, shut up unless you are making a callout.
- If you are dead, shut the gently caress up.
- The absolute worst thing anyone can do is try to give advice in a serious situation, especially when the person trying to give advice got shot early on because they forgot to drone.
- If you have an "essential" defensive operator, ask for help during the prep phase. "Where do you want this ADS?" or "What wall should I electrify?" prevents confusion and panic 30 seconds later.
- If you are unsure on something... ask!! Siege is a VERY deep game, and there's a lot to learn. Don't be afraid to ask questions and make mistakes. I personally took a year break from the game and I'm having to relearn a lot, too. It's okay to not be an expert on every part of the game.
- Mute lovely pubbies, do not hesitate.
- Killcams aren't always 100% accurate.

Agoat fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Mar 16, 2022

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Agoat fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Mar 16, 2022

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011
Will probably be outdated soon, but here's a useful guide for weapon attachments. https://old.reddit.com/r/Rainbow6/comments/9dk0pm/cynibots_attachment_guide_20_recommended/?st=jr5l8xr9&sh=65900e07

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

haha oh my god! :allears:

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So it goes off of just getting a team kill? So people will continue to just ping you once or twice every round and not get in trouble for it so long as there is no actual team kill involved?

Ground floor btw!

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

The Shame Boy posted:

So it goes off of just getting a team kill? So people will continue to just ping you once or twice every round and not get in trouble for it so long as there is no actual team kill involved?

Ground floor btw!

They track the damage itself, too. So if you keep tapping people you'll eventually hit the limit and own yourself.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011
The real question is how long it lasts (for the rest of the game or do you get kicked eventually?) and what sort of damage it prevents. It seems so far, if you kill a teammate the rest of them become immune to friendly fire from you. This means a tactical teamkill could open up a wide range of possibilities. Such as Fuzing a room and having your teammates run in as the charges are dropping. Sure, you'll die but they won't be damaged/killed by the explosions. Being able to take advantage of the confusion would be priceless.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Nice OP! Urgh, we really don't need more American operators in the game, though... The African ops are interesting, though; I wonder what they'll do for their gadgets and map?

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
capitao's fire arrows getting lowered damage is great just so long as you still cannot simply run directly across the flames without at least getting :supaburn:

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Major Isoor posted:

Nice OP! Urgh, we really don't need more American operators in the game, though... The African ops are interesting, though; I wonder what they'll do for their gadgets and map?

If my counting is correct, we're currently at 7/46 for American operators if you count Ash. She's listed under SWAT as part of an exchange program but was born in Israel and nothing I could find in the lore says or suggests that she's an American citizen. That's only ~15% if she's counted and ~13% if not. It's still the highest percentage but not by much. In comparison, there are five each of Russian, French, and UK operators (~11 percent each). The third highest is Germany, with four operators.

As for the African map, I'm guessing a shopping mall or hotel if they dare to use something that's been actual targets for terrorist attacks in Africa.

edit:

Polka_Rapper fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Feb 18, 2019

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
OG Goon siege discord, come play with longtimers who has been playing since day one:

https://discord.gg/MCQvh79

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Major Isoor posted:

Thank you! I think one more won't hurt. Especially if it's new different organization. I still want Third Echelon in the game though. Israel would be cool, too. Iirc they're one of the founding members of Rainbow?

keyframe posted:

OG Goon siege discord, come play with longtimers who has been playing since day one:

https://discord.gg/MCQvh79

added to the op, would you be able to unban me?

never did anything worthy of a ban in the first place :colbert:

Agoat fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Feb 18, 2019

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Agoat posted:

Thank you! I think one more won't hurt. Especially if it's new different organization. I still want Third Echelon in the game though. Israel would be cool, too. Iirc they're one of the founding members of Rainbow?

added to the op, would you be able to unban me?

never did anything worthy of a ban in the first place :colbert:

I didn't ban you? I will take a look at the ban list.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

keyframe posted:

I didn't ban you? I will take a look at the ban list.

I just joined up non-issue. Really weird. Must have been another goon discord.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

this is why i main alibi

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

The Australian map is the only new one this year. The other three are reworks.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

they were finally like gently caress it and resorted to reflection dmg for tk'ers after the first one

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Cup Runneth Over posted:

The Australian map is the only new one this year. The other three are reworks.

And thank goodness for that. My only gripe is that the theme park rework is last.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

That teamkill change looks drat amazing! I hope that helps having better chances to not get trolls on weekends.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

big boi posted:

And thank goodness for that. My only gripe is that the theme park rework is last.

it's hosed up they're going to rework the best map in the game last and probably declutter a lot of what makes it so great

but also lol if they actually add more spawn peeks or make the rooftap hatch seal move standard

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
https://rainbow6.ubisoft.com/siege/en-us/game-info/seasons/burnthorizon/index.aspx

Giant post from Ubi about the changes. I'll be slotting in a direct copy into the OP tonight.

Edit: Holosight color is going to be based on weapon's base color going forward!

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

quote:

When Shield Operators turn in place, there is a slight delay before the shield and upper body snap to align with the legs. This can cause a mismatch between first and third person perspectives. We are deploying a change that will make this left and right motion more fluid, and ensure that first and third person perspectives are aligned.

quote:

Fixed – Guard break animation is not present in kill cam replays if the shield Operator is in motion.
Fixed – Shield Operators crouching and leaning clip through their shield and can be damaged through it.
Fixed – Legs of all shielded operators are clipping through the ballistic shield while in prone.
Fixed – Sometimes Guard Break is cancelled when a player shoots the shield and melee’s at the same time.
Fixed – The guard break animation displays incorrect behaviour when the shield Operator leans to the side.
Fixed – The kill cam does not show the meleed stance for shield Operators.

Neat.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
If I haven't played this since around the end of the first year, what are some of the must-have operators that have been added? I think I'm gonna pick the game back up but I'd like to know if any new ones came along that totally changed the meta or something like that.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Basebf555 posted:

If I haven't played this since around the end of the first year, what are some of the must-have operators that have been added? I think I'm gonna pick the game back up but I'd like to know if any new ones came along that totally changed the meta or something like that.

There's a lot of new ops, so I'll need to know more about your play style to make a good recommendation.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Agoat posted:

There's a lot of new ops, so I'll need to know more about your play style to make a good recommendation.

Well I was mediocre at the game back then, so I'll be even worse now. So I'm not going to be able to jump in and use an operator with a high skill ceiling, especially gadget-wise. Are there any new ones where the gadget is pretty simple to use, but still a worthwhile addition to any team?

It sounds like there isn't one or two that are more essential than the rest, which was my main concern.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011
Everyone is pretty solid but there are a few standouts. Nothing that seems to be absolutely must-have though. I haven't unlocked most of the Y3 operators yet, so I can't vouch for them.

Mira can be really strong, but you need to figure out good gadget placement for her. Lesion is great, Maverick is fun, and maybe Finka (haven't played her but it's not like anyone's going to notice if you don't use her gadget in the most efficient way).

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

The answer to that question is always the newest ones :v:

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Basebf555 posted:

Well I was mediocre at the game back then, so I'll be even worse now. So I'm not going to be able to jump in and use an operator with a high skill ceiling, especially gadget-wise. Are there any new ones where the gadget is pretty simple to use, but still a worthwhile addition to any team?

It sounds like there isn't one or two that are more essential than the rest, which was my main concern.

Zofia is a bulkier Ash. Ela is a roamer. Maestro has laser cameras and is a really strong defense op. There's a ton of possibilities, especially with Burnt Horizon around the corner.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

Basebf555 posted:

It depends on how much renown you have with the new pricing changes - 500/1000/1500/2000 for the base ops, 10k for Year 1, 15k for Year 2, 20k for year 3

Short recommendation on the cheap side:

Base:
If you don't have Thermite, get Thermite. Too vital to have a hard breach option and too cheap in renown to not have him.
Then, get Sledge. Good guns, frags, big hammer.
If you don't have Jaeger, get Jaeger. Plant his gadgets then shoot folks.
If you don't have Doc, get Doc. More health for teammates and ranged revives always helps with longevity.

Year 1 simple and effective:
Get Buck or Blackbeard on offense; Frost on Defense

Year 2 simple and effective:
Ying, Zofia on offense; Lesion/Ela on Defense

Year 3:
They're all complicated and they all own

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea I have all the Year 1 ops that I need, mainly Thermite, Sledge, and Jaeger.

Thanks for the Year 2 insights though, I'll check those ops out first when I sign in. It's gonna be a hell of an adjustment jumping back in, I'm gonna get toasted for a good while before I start to feel functional again.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Basebf555 posted:

Yea I have all the Year 1 ops that I need, mainly Thermite, Sledge, and Jaeger.

Thanks for the Year 2 insights though, I'll check those ops out first when I sign in. It's gonna be a hell of an adjustment jumping back in, I'm gonna get toasted for a good while before I start to feel functional again.

Don't be afraid to pick Rook on bad games and just buff your team. He also has one of the best defense guns in the game!

I'm going to be breaking apart Mozzie today on stream. I'll post a ton of notes here after. I'm really excited for him.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Agoat posted:

Don't be afraid to pick Rook on bad games and just buff your team. He also has one of the best defense guns in the game!

Honestly Rook will probably be my pick for a while as I get back into the swing of things, I'd like to be able to just put a bag down and then 100% focus on the gunplay and map layouts while I get my feet under me a bit.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Basebf555 posted:

Honestly Rook will probably be my pick for a while as I get back into the swing of things, I'd like to be able to just put a bag down and then 100% focus on the gunplay and map layouts while I get my feet under me a bit.

He's really fun, too. For roaming you can pick Jäger if you want.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Pick anyone but Mira and Castle if you're a new player. Anyone else you can be bad with your gadget and not gently caress over your team. Otherwise just pick whoever seems cool to you who cares how good you are, most of being good at this game is memorizing intricate details of all the maps.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

When are the new operators out?

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Samovar posted:

When are the new operators out?

They'll be in TTS today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Thief posted:

it's hosed up they're going to rework the best map in the game last

So you'd rather they do it sooner? Agreed.